Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,351 members, 7,853,546 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 06:56 PM

Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness (15320 Views)

Fear Grips Permanent Secretaries And Directors Over Budget-Padding Probe / Fear Grips Politicians As Buhari Vows To Clean NNPC “mess” / Fayose Begs For Forgiveness. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by chinkelly(m): 9:17pm On Jun 15, 2010
The curses will work but for only a while. after all what happened to the other previous curses. after a while it fades.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by binigurl07: 9:18pm On Jun 15, 2010
undecided
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by maedan(f): 9:20pm On Jun 15, 2010
SLIGHT:

my dear those fraudulent politicians are worse than d issue b4 us so don blame them.

Lol, I beg to differ. Armed robbery, kidnapping and killing is far far worse than the looting politicians. As for them, their own time will come, curse or no curse.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by SLIGHT(m): 9:23pm On Jun 15, 2010
So in nigeria we use juju to fight crime? WONDERFUL!!
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by SLIGHT(m): 9:29pm On Jun 15, 2010
maedan:

Lol, I beg to differ. Armed robbery, kidnapping and killing is far far worse than the looting politicians. As for them, their own time will come, curse or no curse.

The reason those politicians are worse is that apart from looting resources meant 4 over 150 million people, they also kidnap and kill.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jun 15, 2010
bgees:

I have seen juju in action, and it works.
abeg yarn me story
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by bawomolo(m): 9:53pm On Jun 15, 2010
bgees:

I have seen juju in action, and it works.

testify brother
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by bgees(m): 10:04pm On Jun 15, 2010
If u witnessed the police/OPC face off in Bariga around 2000 or year 2001, u might agree with me.

Jazz dey O!
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by Fant(m): 10:52pm On Jun 15, 2010
The fact is darkness can never chase darkness away. So i dont't want to believe that you guys are promoting idol worship and giving glory to devils. You may not be confortable with this but it is the truth: The worship of dull idols by most africans dullards has been one of the key reasons why africa is not growing. Let us not fool ourselves, we all know too well that this can never be the end of crimes in Edo state: Why? Because a kingdom can never be divided against itself meaning DEVILS can never kill DEVILS even if they pretend to be doing so. If juju is the best, then i challenge all the demons in africa to merge together and use their method to stop political and other crimes in just Nigeria alone so that we can see how those idol worshippers in politics will die by the hands of the same idols. Ofcourse this can't be. The devil is the father of lies, even if these criminals became afraid, it was because they know that they don't have the backing of the ALMIGHTY GOD so they are at the mercy of the devil. And the devil only pushed them to ask for forgiveness so that his name may be glorified {God forbid} but later, he will still lure them to go and continue their evil act so that he will be consulted and foolishly glorified again. If demonic threats has ever affected anyone it only affected those that believed in it and were living under the mercy of the devil. Let us not allow the devil to get an advantage of us because we are not ignorant of his devices. Someone may wish to ask why God has not come to our aid since. The reasons are these {He is always there to help}: before the time of Jesus, there was no grace so anyone who did evil must die instantly because God is very holy and will never allow his eyes to see evil. But when JESUS came, his death and resurrection made grace available. So if a man sins, He don't get an instant purnishment since JESUS will always stand in-between man and God {i,e as the mediator}. Shall we then say that JESUS is encouraging sin? {GOD FORBID} But He is just giving everyone equal opportunity to repent since if He was to judge us and purnish us instantly based on our works, then we are all guilty because his word said all have sinned.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by Fant(m): 10:53pm On Jun 15, 2010
The fact is darkness can never chase darkness away. So i dont't want to believe that you guys are promoting idol worship and giving glory to devils. You may not be confortable with this but it is the truth: The worship of dull idols by most africans dullards has been one of the key reasons why africa is not growing. Let us not fool ourselves, we all know too well that this can never be the end of crimes in Edo state: Why? Because a kingdom can never be divided against itself meaning DEVILS can never kill DEVILS even if they pretend to be doing so. If juju is the best, then i challenge all the demons in africa to merge together and use their method to stop political and other crimes in just Nigeria alone so that we can see how those idol worshippers in politics will die by the hands of the same idols. Ofcourse this can't be. The devil is the father of lies, even if these criminals became afraid, it was because they know that they don't have the backing of the ALMIGHTY GOD so they are at the mercy of the devil. And the devil only pushed them to ask for forgiveness so that his name may be glorified {God forbid} but later, he will still lure them to go and continue their evil act so that he will be consulted and foolishly glorified again. If demonic threats has ever affected anyone it only affected those that believed in it and were living under the mercy of the devil. Let us not allow the devil to get an advantage of us because we are not ignorant of his devices. Someone may wish to ask why God has not come to our aid since. The reasons are these {He is always there to help}: before the time of Jesus, there was no grace so anyone who did evil must die instantly because God is very holy and will never allow his eyes to see evil. But when JESUS came, his death and resurrection made grace available. So if a man sins, He don't get an instant purnishment since JESUS will always stand in-between man and God {i,e as the mediator}. Shall we then say that JESUS is encouraging sin? {GOD FORBID} But He is just giving everyone equal opportunity to repent since if He was to judge us and purnish us instantly based on our works, then we are all guilty because his word said all have sinned.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by Fant(m): 10:55pm On Jun 15, 2010
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by kobikwelu(m): 12:12am On Jun 16, 2010
@topic,

very very funny and ironic
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by mamagee3(f): 12:13am On Jun 16, 2010
Please, Can the Oba place a curse on the Yahoo boys, too?

So, they can come running to his palace begging for forgiveness, too. grin grin

Bunch of clowns! grin
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by brutal(m): 12:22am On Jun 16, 2010
Armed robbers of little faith. .i think say dem be alagbara. .curse or not,dem no go escape karma.
Bad things no good at all. .if u sow good in your life,u'll definitely reap good and vice versa.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by MUZBO(m): 1:30am On Jun 16, 2010
See this people o, when dictators where terrorizing Nigerians in the past they didn't curse them! Abeg leave 'innocent' armed robbers alone joor!
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by 9jauk: 1:59am On Jun 16, 2010
ECONOMIC IMPORTANT OF EVIL WORD, rather sad, Oh GOD FORGIVE US.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by RichyBlacK(m): 2:05am On Jun 16, 2010
redsun:

I think you are getting it all mixed up here you know.If you believe that the christian god is supreme and real while the juju is fake and unreal,then i think you are confuse too.

For you to make sense of the whole delusion,you don't have to believe either.Beliefs in illusion are just the creations and imaginations of man that helps to chart,control and manipulate human  endeavours in the absence of practical reasoning and reality.it is a way of life that is only real in the minds of the believers.

@redsun,

I hear you and understand where you're coming from, however, I'm not an atheist and my questions about juju are not ipso facto but de facto.

As a Christian, I've never heard any Christian tell a non-Christian that "if you touch that big cross in the altar, you will die"
. However, growing up in Nigeria, I can't count all the claims made on behalf of juju that I was told:

1. If you point at that shrine your finger will get bent.
2. Inside those masquerades are spirits not humans!
3. I'll tell my mum to do juju for you; she will call your name three times in a mortar filled with water, your head will appear and she'll strike it with a pestle; then you'll die instantly.
4. Every year, the mammy water spirit under the long bridge must taste human blood, so to appease her so she doesn't cause many accidents and kill many people, we offer some human sacrifices to her.
5. The man died because that wicked old woman in the village touched his car with her left hand.

All the claims above are laughably false, yet some Nigerians (hopefully, a decreasing number) believe these nonsense. Similarly, I do not believe Christians who tell me that "if that pastor prays for you, all your problems are solved". Big fat lie! Like all of human endeavor, there are delusions, even in science (a different topic all together). However, our traditional culture was hijacked by the then ruling class, e.g. the Obas, Alafins, Obis, etc., to instill fear in the people so as to make them more subservient and hence easier to manipulate and control.

The slave trade was also a big reason why the "juju fear" was pervasive. The Benin Kingdom, in all its glory was an empire that thrived on slavery. So was the Aro Confederacy in the south east. Juju was used as a powerful tool that utilized fear to render the people docile and easier to enslave.

In today's Benin, that legacy lives on in human trafficking and prostitution. The evidence suggests that the biggest hindrance to wiping out the despicable practice of trafficking girls to Europe as sexual slaves is the "juju fear". This is a vestige of the old slave trade practice, where juju played a significant role. It is my hypothesis that a contributing factor to the apparently high number of girls from Edo State in prostitution rings outside Nigeria is the foolish fear of juju.

References:
1.  Slavery and Emancipation in Benin, 1897-1945
     Philip A. Igbafe
    The Journal of African History, Vol. 16, No. 3 (1975), pp. 409-429
    Published by: Cambridge University Press
    JSTOR URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/180474

2. Juju Hinders Our Work, Say British Police
    Allafrica.com URL: http://allafrica.com/stories/201003010233.html

3. Sex Trafficking: Inside the Business of Modern Slavery [Hardcover]
   Siddharth Kara
   See excerpt from Chapter 1, page 16, 1st paragraph below:

Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by RichyBlacK(m): 2:14am On Jun 16, 2010
snowdrops:
This typifies the problem with NL. You can never have a matured debate here without people becoming emotional and personal. I guess if this were to be a face to face discussion we would all be leaving NL with sour faces and jaws.

Even the holy bible acknowledges that there is a devil who even if his power is no where near that of the almightly is powerful, and has enormous influence on his followers.

Your belief in juju is immaterial. It does not erase its existence. FACT.

Like i was saying, the initial expendition of 11 Brits and their 400 itsekiri slaves were ambused and destroyed in December of 1896. The reinforced team is what you are referring to. I guess there lies your confusion.

The second team took Bini by surprise unlike the first that had announced their coming. The Oba had banned them from coming to Bini at the time as it coincided with the Igue festival during which visitors are forbidden from entering the palace. They refused to heed the advice and came armed. They never contemplated the level of resistance they saw. That included Captain Philip.

He was ambused on his way from Sapele at Oghoton by a batallion from Benin led by Asoro.

Richy, i dont know what tribe you belong to. But Benin history is clearly not one of your strong points.

@snowdrops,

I. Your counter claim that Benin was not defeated in eight days against my claim that Benin was subdued, even with all the juju the Oba could muster, in eight days has been effectively dismissed by the preponderance of evidence I have presented to support my claim.

II. Despite my courteous effort at answering your questions in detail, you have refused to answer my questions. In the spirit of this, hopefully, amicable debate I resubmit my questions:

1. Why didn't this all-powerful, limitless, omnipotent juju defeat the Her Majesty's naval squadron?

2. Did Queen Victoria of England, the reigning queen of England during the Benin Expedition of 1897, possess superior juju to that of Oba Ovonramwen?

3. Could that explain why the Queen's soldiers defeated the Obas' soldiers?

4. What was that superior juju, if any, that Queen Victoria possessed?

Hopefully, some believer in juju will answer these simple questions.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by RichyBlacK(m): 2:29am On Jun 16, 2010
Yoighaman:
i wont be surprised to hear that these folks came out ranting and chanting because one of theirs was 'hit' by the criminals.

Richyblack- i admire your display of knowledge on this particular issue; im feeling you dude, please ride on

Yoighaman, thank you for your comment. I am all for crime reduction, but it pains me to see so many of my fellow Nigerians wallowing in ignorance; it really breaks my heart. Though they say ignorance is bliss, it is my view that part of our underdevelopment is this pervasive belief in the nonsense called juju.

God bless you.

blacksta:
Richy  - God bless you  - Juju doesnt work it is all an illusion or mind games?

blacksta, God bless you too my brother. Our people need to stop believing in harmful psychological cheap tricks that perpetuate ignorance.

I've asked so many questions about this juju thing and not a single one of my questions have been answered completely. For example:

1. Can juju make us win the world cup?

2. What are the limits of juju? That is, what is it that juju cannot do?

3. If there are, then can we get a few examples?

4. If there are none, then does it mean juju can do anything?

In my long and ongoing fight against the veritable fraud of juju, I've got only two people attempt to answer the above questions. And the follow-up to their answers immediately led to contradictions within the logical space created by the axiomatic foundations of the "juju theory".
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by Onlytruth(m): 3:20am On Jun 16, 2010
RichyBlacK:

Yoighaman, thank you for your comment. I am all for crime reduction, but it pains me to see so many of my fellow Nigerians wallowing in ignorance; it really breaks my heart. Though they say ignorance is bliss, it is my view that part of our underdevelopment is this pervasive belief in the nonsense called juju.

God bless you.

blacksta, God bless you too my brother. Our people need to stop believing in harmful psychological cheap tricks that perpetuate ignorance.

I've asked so many questions about this juju thing and not a single one of my questions have been answered. For example:

1. Can juju make us win the world cup?

2. What are the limits of juju? That is, what is it that juju cannot do?

3. If there are, then can we get a few examples?

4. If there are none, then does it mean juju can do anything?

In my long and ongoing fight against the veritable fraud of juju, I've got only two people attempt to answer the above questions. And the follow-up to their answers immediately led to contradictions within the logical space created by the axiomatic foundations of the "juju theory".

Honestly I think that Africans are very lazy in search of knowledge. I bet you that if ever white folks had to rely on juju for so much at any point in their history, they would have published at least one solid research conducted on this subject. But, we Africans are always content to speculate and leave things there, even if a l lot of lives are affected by it.
When would someone conduct a research on this juju issue?
Does it work or doesn't it?
Is there any proof that it works ALL THE TIME, not sometimes or under some conditions?
If it works under certain conditions, can we control it to reproduce the same results ALWAYS?

I tire for we Africans! shocked shocked angry sad
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by Onlytruth(m): 3:29am On Jun 16, 2010
'Cos really I'm afraid that juju might just be like gambling.

Can anyone say that it is not possible to win a lottery jackpot of $100m? Well, if you buy the multi-state lottery in the US, you CAN win. What is your chance of winning? Another story all together!

So, yes, winning $100 m is possible, but may not be probable. Should one then plan his future income on the chance of winning the lottery? I'd say only a fool would do that!

Let the debate continue. cool
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by PapaBrowne(m): 3:34am On Jun 16, 2010
I have just read a New York Times article dated January 21st 1897 and the topic is about the Oba of Benin.
One striking point from the article is the dread that the throne of the Oba carried at the time. Funnily, that dread still lives on till today.
Enjoy the piece!

Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by PapaBrowne(m): 3:50am On Jun 16, 2010
continued. . . .

Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by PapaBrowne(m): 3:55am On Jun 16, 2010
AND FINALLY. . . . sorry for spamming the thread. . . but I feel the artilcle is relevant to the discussion!

Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by RichyBlacK(m): 4:41am On Jun 16, 2010
Onlytruth:

Honestly I think that Africans are very lazy in search of knowledge. I bet you that if ever white folks had to rely on juju for so much at any point in their history, they would have published at least one solid research conducted on this subject. But, we Africans are always content to speculate and leave things there, even if a l lot of lives are affected by it.
When would someone conduct a research on this juju issue? 
Does it work or doesn't it?
Is there any proof that it works ALL THE TIME, not sometimes or under some conditions?
If it works under certain conditions, can we control it to reproduce the same results ALWAYS?

I tire for we Africans! shocked shocked angry sad

Onlytruth,

You've hit the nail on the head - intellectual laziness is a big problem in Africa.

Many Africans don't like asking questions of their corrupt leaders, especially the ones in Nigeria. In Nigeria, the corrupt thieves are rewarded with titles and accolades instead of asked the tough questions of why do they think looting the treasury is good for the society.

Our leaders, including the Oba of Benin, must NEVER be seen as anything but ordinary human beings. There is nothing supernatural about any human political or cultural leader in the world we live in.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by RichyBlacK(m): 4:43am On Jun 16, 2010
PapaBrowne:

AND FINALLY. . . . sorry for spamming the thread. . . but I feel the artilcle is relevant to the discussion!

PapaBrowne,

Thank you very much for this article. We need more articles like these to shed more light on what happened in 1897 Benin.

Thank God for the printing press and the internet for making it possible to peer back into the past in search of truth.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by PapaBrowne(m): 5:05am On Jun 16, 2010
RichyBlacK:

PapaBrowne,

Thank you very much for this article. We need more articles like these to shed more light on what happened in 1897 Benin.

Thank God for the printing press and the internet for making it possible to peer back into the past in search of truth.

Sure. Thanks for the thanks!
Lets remember also that this piece is very biased as it is the viewpoint of a colonial journalist who saw black people as savages. Its a pity he wrote the article with so much bias.
After reading this,I must admit that the Benin Kingdom was truly a great kingdom- I think one of the greatest in Africa at the time.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by lastpage: 5:33am On Jun 16, 2010
What irks me most in all these is the CRIMINALITY OF THIS BRITISH PEOPLE yet, they are the ones that will be preaching 'morality" to us! angry angry

[size=18pt]They stole and plundered our treasures just like the Americans plundered Iraq recently![/size]

But the irony of the whole disaster is that it is the same Britain that our "elites" run to, for Salvation

WE ARE TRULY A LOST GENERATION shocked shocked
SLIMY BAST*RDS
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by Nobody: 5:37am On Jun 16, 2010
lastpage:

What irks me most in all these is the CRIMINALITY OF THIS BRITISH PEOPLE yet, they are the ones that will be preaching 'morality" to us! angry angry

[size=18pt]They stole and plundered our treasures just like the Americans plundered Iraq recently![/size]

But the irony of the whole disaster is that it is the same Britain that our "elites" run to, for Salvation

WE ARE TRULY A LOST GENERATION shocked shocked
SLIMY BAST*RDS

What does this even have to do with the thread?
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by Echidime(m): 6:12am On Jun 16, 2010
OUR GOD GIVING POWERS,TRADITIONS,CULTURES  AND WAYS OF WORSHIP ARE THE BEST WAY TO FOLLOW YESTERDAY, TODAY AND FOREVER.

ONLY AFRICAN CULTURE AND TRADITION CAN MAKE US PROSPER AS A PEOPLE,TRANSPARENCY IN ALL FORMS OF POLITICAL ELECTIONS AND POSITIONS CAN ONLY BE REALISE WHEN WE ALLOW OUR KINGS,IGWE'S,OBA'S TO RULE US AND ORGANISE ELECTIONS FOR US.
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by SLIGHT(m): 6:34am On Jun 16, 2010
Whew!!
Re: Juju: Fear Grips Kidnappers, Robbers In Edo- Storm Palace For Forgiveness by Nobody: 6:49am On Jun 16, 2010
NEVER A DULL MOMENT ON NL,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dayo Adeyeye: Tinubu Is The Best Successor For Buhari / Why Do Nigerians And Blacks Behave Like Animals? / Bishop Wale Oke: Osinbajo Is The Light In The Midst Of Darkness In Aso Villa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.