Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,141 members, 7,814,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:11 AM

Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years (13915 Views)

Poll: do you support this?

it's a good decision: 59% (92 votes)
it's a bad decision: 40% (62 votes)
This poll has ended

FIFA's Verdict:Bans Nigeria From All Football-Related Activity-Incuding Clubs / Vincent Enyeama Considering his Retirement from International football / FIFA Bans Nigeria For Government Interference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by MUZBO(m): 8:18pm On Jun 30, 2010
This move might back-fire but I bellieve its the right one. We dont want to watch make-believe soccer by Kaitarising slobs and self styled fat-a$sed Yak-mumuzela and their wannabes. Now we can focus our tension on other things like INEC and BANKOLE,
Abeg life no get substitute, I'll support Ghana till we r unbanned!!
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by jarkbauer: 8:22pm On Jun 30, 2010
[size=16pt]do you guys know that the last time we won a match at the world cup was in 1998-12 years wasted.won nations cup last in 1994-16 years wasted.so 2 years is nothing.Jonathan pls withdraw us for as long as possible but when we come back we must win world cup ooooooo else we will ban you[/size]
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by tosinaded(m): 8:22pm On Jun 30, 2010
[size=38pt]2yrs too small. . . ban the f.cckers for 10 years!
ure here shouting fifa, fck dem too! who runs football in nigeria? no be government? which money dem dey use? no be tax payers money? wetin be tax payers money? no be our money?[/size]
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by truly: 8:23pm On Jun 30, 2010
mikeansy:

The BAN is the only chance to even attempt to do anything differently. Otherwise Sani Lulu will elect himself and hold the whole country to ransome based on some FIFA regulation. [b]Why can't some of us in Nairaland reason?

The ban will not guarantee change or better fortunes, but it is the only choice to change things. The FIFA regulation was designed for societies where people have shame and where people resign if found corrupt. It is not designed for Africans. Sani Lulu will never give way for change to happen.[/b]

All this one folks are talking, the way the PTF are being decisive about this tells me somebody in FIFA may have given Government a nod to do this. Keep in mind that Lars Lagerback for some reasons lodged a copy of his contract with FIFA and so FIFA may be aware of the shenanigans that goes on in Nigeria. So folks chill.

It is also possible to flush Sani Lulu and co out, hand football to ex-players who may know what they are doing, re-organise the structure of the local league and 12 months down the line, re-apply to re-join FIFA meanwhile Sani Lulu may be cooling his backside in jail if he does not play ball.
It is rude to say that people who disagree with you cannot reason
we can analyse now, but you cannot absolutely know that you are right now. You have to wait for 2 years

we have gone this route before and what came of it
It is not the only choice
Infact, it is not a viable option
England has friendly in August

And before we know it, 2years will be over and nothing would have been done
Again, where is the power sector masterplan that Johnathan promised weeks ago
That is not a sign of seriousness
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by jimmie(m): 8:25pm On Jun 30, 2010
Who is funding football in Nigeria, he who pays the piper dictates the tune.
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by xterra2(m): 8:26pm On Jun 30, 2010
Me sef:

Who are GJ's advisers?

Corruption, lack of planning, nepotism, mediocrity, quota system, padi-padi  are the in-thing in all government MDAs and by extension the Nigerian system! It is not an NFF problem, it is a Nigerian problem. Our current level of football is just an indication of the grave situation we are in as a nation.

Why can't this guy just suspend all government ministries, departments and agencies for 2 years  and re-organize them too. Everything in Nigeria needs a re-ordering

Who even says two years will be enough to re-build our football??  To get back to the grassroots, pick boys from secondary schools and get them to play professional football in 2yrs?

• Will the ban remove corruption from the blood of our administrators?
• Will it remove quota system? Will it train our local coaches to world standard?
• Will it build football academy in all states of the federation in two years?
• Will it improve the funding of our local league and ensure living wage for local players like what is obtainable in Egypt, Tunisia, SA?

We don’t need a sorcerer to tell us the problems, we all know them. There are policies written several years ago that have rot on the shelves in various government departments. All we need is sincere and painstaking implementation.

I hope Good luck is ready for the outcry that will follow this draconian act and the injury this will do to his 2011 ambition because as far as I'm concerned he has started loosing points!!!
You have a point in a way,

Though Painful it is good as we would be able organize our Soccer in the next two years
BUT,we are going to miss the next African cups of nation as even though we succeed in organizing our soccer that would be the best chance to test our progress
And if FIFA sticks to it rules and we get banned it would bring more damage than intended as we would miss AFCON + 2014 world cup, Infact the footballers would be non-cooperating as they MAY argue no competition for us to perform in why not go looking for a job?
This is a 50/50 decision it is good and bad
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Rhydem: 8:26pm On Jun 30, 2010
jarkbauer:

[size=16pt]do you guys know that the last time we won a match at the world cup was in 1998-12 years wasted.won nations cup last in 1994-16 years wasted.so 2 years is nothing.Jonathan pls withdraw us for as long as possible but when we come back we must win world cup ooooooo else we will ban you[/size]

Very stupid comment.

We may not win the next world cup, we just need to see an improvement in the system.

No more cancelation of friendlies, no more change of venues hosted in England all the time, no more playing Jamaica, no more confusion about Nigerian football in which is embarasing us continually worldwide.
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jun 30, 2010
4 Play:

What stops the Govt from ending its funding of the NFF? Maybe the NFF will learn to self-finance itself. Banning football plays into Lulu's hands as it will elicit punitive measures against Nigeria.

That approach was previously employed by OBJ but clearly it is not a sustainable policy. If sports has no use to the country there won't be a sports ministry. So Government can not just fold its arms and watch Lulu and the guys at Glass House to continue to repeat this cycle of fraud.

How does Government wash it's hands off sports. Nigerian players were recently stranded in London in what would have been a National embarrassment. It took the sports minister to bail them out.

There is a Football economy in Nigeria not being tapped, the NFF and their laziness and policy of being innovative only in ways to perpetuate themselves in office has been a obstacle for this football economy to thrive.

It is in our National Economic Interest for Football to thrive.

I grew up in PH. I used to go to a field called "Number 6 field" to watch players like Finidi George, Igeniwari george (RIP), Furo Iyenemi, Emmanuel Ebiede, Victor Ezeji etc. These are boys who played for Sharks or Eagle Cement of PH. These boys were role models, they were celebrities who we all looked up to  and little boys who could not go to school aspired to be one of these players. They save their last coin to buy a football boot. They had hopes, they had aspirations to be professional footballers someday.

Do you know who the role models are now? asari Dokubo and Ateke Tom. because these guys are living larger than local footballers. This situation should be a cause of concern for Government and surely football has a role to play in a society.  So Government can not wash its hands off football.

From Brazil to Columbia to Mexico. The story is the same. There are a lot of kids who have a choice to either play football or join a drug gang. Because they have a thriving local league, loads of kids are being employed in one way or the other by football. So untill football matures and can control itself Government can not wash its hands off football. Something needs to be done no matter the cost. Sani Lulu can not continue to hold 150million people to ransome.
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by 0hsisi: 8:28pm On Jun 30, 2010
Rhydem:

Some people here are very silly.

Please remind me what happend with France's world cup campagin - They failed miserably, agreed?
What happend to their president of their FA?
He resigned, yes?

Okay.
Now the NFF (Lulu) Said this team was capable of semi-final contention, where did we finish?
Is Lulu going to resign? OF COURSE NOT, the man is even planning his re-election campaign can you imagine.

This is just one of many problems the NFF has brought to this nation with many corruption allegations, abeg guys this is fantastic news.

We will be able to re-structure the nations football - and people keep saying why two years?

We want this to be a suitable fix for the nations football 2 years is neccesary for this to be atleast succesful.

Absolute Rubbish!
The govt in Nigeria hasn't worked since 1960,does the govt now pack up for restructuring?
Restructuring what if I may ask?
Nonsense!
You prepare for tests by studying and taking practice tests not by shying away
Moreover Nigeria is not a country that has any strategy for making anything work
By Jove you can't even get 24 hr electricity in any city in Nigeria and people are talking of restructuring.
Mr Badluck wants to cut off the only thing that puts Nigeria in the world map in a positive way and you think it's great?
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by femmy2010(m): 8:28pm On Jun 30, 2010
Thank God i have my beloved CHELSEA FC to wipe my tears away.
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by tosinaded(m): 8:28pm On Jun 30, 2010
Rhydem:

Very silly comment.

We may not win the next world cup, we just need to see an improvement in the system.

No more cancelation of friendlies, no more change of venues hosted in England all the time, no more playing Jamaica, no more confusion about Nigerian football in which is embarasing us continually worldwide.

use ur brains abeg!
how do u want that to happen with the present crop of peeps running our football?
they had to be sacked and removed
thats wut jonathan did
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jun 30, 2010
BASKETBALL ROCKS::::::: grin

BANNED THEM 100 YEARS I DON'T GIVE FUC--CK
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by 0hsisi: 8:32pm On Jun 30, 2010
The mere fact that Nigeria qualified for world cup is something good in itself
At least the world hears our name associated with soccer not 419
why does "badluck" want to take that positivity away from us
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Rhydem: 8:34pm On Jun 30, 2010
tosinaded@:

use your brains abeg!
how do u want that to happen with the present crop of peeps running our football?
thats wut jonathan did

Abeg please backtrack I am in support of the banning.

You said 'If we do not win the world cup, then you must ban youself (Goodluck)

So i stand by my comment saying your comment is very silly. And now I will even go as far as calling you very silly
Use your own advice and use your brain.
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by truly: 8:35pm On Jun 30, 2010
tosinaded@:

use your brains abeg!
thats wut jonathan did
Must we always abuse others in orer to get our point across!
Anyway, Johnathan did not only sack those poeple

He has banned the present u-21 boys too
And with FIFA coming in, he has banned the ladies, the u-17 boys etc
He is saying we should not compete for 2years
I don't know how a student who does not write any exam for 2 years will be better than those who do
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jun 30, 2010
[size=28pt]I don't think we will stay banned for even six months, He just wants those blow hards in the NFF to resign I believe that we would win the next African nations cup and all those hating on GEJ will turn a new leaf[/size]
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by tosinaded(m): 8:42pm On Jun 30, 2010
who the fck does blatter think he is? i read an headline where he was warning the frecnh president shocked
imagine the nonsense. . . . the guy heads only fifa. . . warning the president of a country cos of football?
a president elected by its people?

f.ck blatter and his arrogance! he should go to hell
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by tosinaded(m): 8:43pm On Jun 30, 2010
yomola ure only trying to run from the truth
the fact that govet has interfered with the football alone. . .will get us a ban from fifa
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jun 30, 2010
@tosinaded@ I said we will be banned [ by Fifa ] but not for long,
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by truly: 8:58pm On Jun 30, 2010
yomola:

[size=28pt]I don't think we will stay banned for even six months, He just wants those blow hards in the NFF to resign I believe that we would win the next African nations cup and all those hating on GEJ will turn a new leaf[/size]
Hate? Johnathan?
I wish I could indulge in that luxury!
He is the president of Nigeria, and I am a Nigerian
I only wish he would do what is right!
He was chairman of the committee on NIPPP under Yaradua
We never got 6,000MW promised us by Dec 2009
He has been acting pres and now pres
We have not seen the power sector master print due for submission weeks ago!
A new development in the health sector exposes us to a grave danger of an HIV/AIDS epidemic in the nearest future

I can only pray that GJ will see the light!
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by MeGaStReEt: 8:59pm On Jun 30, 2010
I dont know if this is wrong or right, but since there is no guarantee that nigeria is going to win the next world cup in Brasil, there is certainly no couse for alarm, the last time we won the nations cup was 16 years ago coupled with hearbreak and hypertension, so 2,4 or 7 years of absent from internation competition is nothin, at least no lives will be lost through hypertension all through this period,

If this move work out last last, all of una wey dey insult mr. presido now, go come begin praise am. Lets give it a try, afterall there's always a first time,
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by MAYOWAAK: 9:02pm On Jun 30, 2010
the nation called nigeria should be banned by the united nations organisation.
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jun 30, 2010
someone ban the presidency - they have failed us consistently
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by tayo4me(f): 9:09pm On Jun 30, 2010
Someone is not getting his priorities right
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by IRAPADA(m): 9:12pm On Jun 30, 2010
Someone shd pls advise mr president on the consiquence of his action
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by zenus(m): 9:16pm On Jun 30, 2010
Supported.
Money that could be use for other purpose is been wasted in the name of football.
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by tosinaded(m): 9:18pm On Jun 30, 2010
[size=28pt]was it not in the same glass house 236,000 dollars got missing?
over 40million naira?
ban dem over and over again abeg
bunch of wankers![/size]
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jun 30, 2010
If we get a new structure and It works, he will score a political point that can get him the votes of soccer loving nigerians like myself come election time grin
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by EvilBrain1(m): 9:22pm On Jun 30, 2010
This is terrible news.

Pure political grandstanding by GLJ and it shows that he has neither maturity nor common sense. The government interfering in football matters will achieve nothing other than a long and punishing FIFA ban.

If The president really wanted to clean up the NFF he could have quietly intimidated/blackmailed Sani Lulu and co into stepping down and organizing fair elections. He could have launched a criminal investigation into the NFF or threatened to withdraw funding. There are so many ways of effecting change without drawing FIFA's attention.

Now, because of this single foolish act Nigerian football will be set back years. As if things weren't bad enough. And at the end of everything, the NFF will still be as corrupt and useless as ever.

Sometimes I wonder if the people in Abuja have a single brain cell between them.
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by kennwaodoz: 9:26pm On Jun 30, 2010
IT IS UNRULY ON THE PART OF THOSE USING INVECTIVES ON THE PRESIDENT OF THE COUNTRY.THERE ARE MORE DIGNIFYING WAYS WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT THE PRESIDENT NO MATTER HOW BAD YOU THINK OF HIM.
I AM A NIGERIAN,THE TRUTH IS YOU INSULT YOURSELF ALSO WHEN YOU ADDRESS THE PRESIDENT IN SUCH AN UNRULY MANNER. JUST AS YOU ARE SAYING INSULTS TO OVER 150 MILLION NIGERIANS.
PLEASE, BE CONSTRUCTIVE WHEN YOU CRITICIZE, MORE SO ,YOUR PRESIDENT. THE TRUTH IS , IT GOES TO SHOW HOW MORALLY BANKRUPT AND UNCULTURED THESE FELLOWS ARE.
STOP INSULTING THE PRESIDENT!!!
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by EvilBrain1(m): 9:27pm On Jun 30, 2010
From The BBC

"At the time of writing, we have no official information on this matter," a Fifa statement read.
"However, in general, Fifa's position regarding political interference in football is well known. Our statutes do not allow for any political interference."
Nigeria's risks their national and club teams, plus referees, being banned from all international competitions - and their officials would not be allowed to attend meetings or events.

'nuff said
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8777118.stm
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by mensdept: 9:27pm On Jun 30, 2010
This is indeed big news. But wait a minute, 2 years means what, from this month till June 2012?

Jonathan's term expires next year (2011), along with this current government barring re-election.

So what happens then?

As for the ban itself, people are saying it's not his priority and that all we need is free elections in NFF  cheesy cheesy cheesy

Well, FIFA says no govt interference, hence, like the bishops are loyal to the queen (Anglican) or Pope (Catholic),  the NFFers are loyal to Blatter and FIFA, and could care less about you and I.

So of course that cannot be, since they are using what matters the most-the name NIGERIA. Thus, they need to face the music and the only way apparently was to withdraw from FIFA.

Throughout the world there have been revolutions originating from outside the seat of power, that ended up changing that seat of power for the better, as well as an entire change to a system that years later made sense (even though not at the time of change).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Samson Siasia Unveils Gandoki As The Official Comedian To The Dream Team VI / AFCON Qualifier: Super Eagles Apologizes To Nigerians For Failure / Senegal Vs Gambia : AFCON 2023 (3 - 0) On 15th January 2024

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.