Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:51 AM

Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years (13913 Views)

Poll: do you support this?

it's a good decision: 59% (92 votes)
it's a bad decision: 40% (62 votes)
This poll has ended

FIFA's Verdict:Bans Nigeria From All Football-Related Activity-Incuding Clubs / Vincent Enyeama Considering his Retirement from International football / FIFA Bans Nigeria For Government Interference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by mensdept: 9:29pm On Jun 30, 2010
Evil Brain:

This is terrible news.

Pure political grandstanding by GLJ and it shows that he has neither maturity nor common sense. The government interfering in football matters will achieve nothing other than a long and punishing FIFA ban.

If The president really wanted to clean up the NFF he could have quietly intimidated/blackmailed Sani Lulu and co into stepping down and organizing fair elections. He could have launched a criminal investigation into the NFF or threatened to withdraw funding. There are so many ways of effecting change without drawing FIFA's attention.

Now, because of this single foolish act Nigerian football will be set back years. As if things weren't bad enough. And at the end of everything, the NFF will still be as corrupt and useless as ever.

Sometimes I wonder if the people in Abuja have a single brain cell between them.

Easier said than done
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by dafman10(m): 9:38pm On Jun 30, 2010
To hell wit fifa n their bans. Fifa frowns at govt interferance in footie BUT will not grant u hosting rights to their competions if their is no political n financial support from your govt. Who is foolin who?
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by tosinaded(m): 9:40pm On Jun 30, 2010
dafman10:

To hell wit fifa n their bans. Fifa frowns at govt interferance in footie BUT will not grant u hosting rights to their competions if their is no political n financial support from your govt. Who is foolin who?

they are just a bunch of egocentric fckers with no respect for constituted authority!
except offcourse i  favours dem
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by xterra2(m): 9:43pm On Jun 30, 2010
Wait was he especting them to win the world cup?
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by idnole4(m): 9:44pm On Jun 30, 2010
why cant he just place ban on the country participating in any international events, he went to Canada with 140 man delegation: http://www.saharareporters.com/real-news/sr-headlines/6353-president-jonathans-140-strong-delegation-to-canada-sr-stands-by-its-story.html and they are there talking about misapplication of fund, 'the horse behind look up2 d one in front in a race': Mr President get ur priority right!
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Emmysteve(m): 9:51pm On Jun 30, 2010
This is the most foolish decision in this 21 century.
i'm begining to withraw my vote for him.
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by joshO: 9:57pm On Jun 30, 2010
This is a very good move. Football needs complete over-haul, and only drastic, transformational change - root and branch - will do!

Well done Mr President. We recognize that good leadership demands actions strong and courages as this ,
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by JaaizTech: 9:59pm On Jun 30, 2010
I just can't imagine GJ having to take more complex political / economic decisions; I can't just imagine it. This is a complete "No-Brainer"
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by IRAPADA(m): 10:02pm On Jun 30, 2010
Our president is going not,are we d only 1 that did bad at d WC?.Cemeron, france and other nation fail to qualify 4 round 16 and their govt did not band them, so our president shd ve a rethink of his action
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by felifeli: 10:07pm On Jun 30, 2010
The name has also become an embarrassment . It should be changed to something more purposeful - like Abuja Bombers or Naija Lunatics. grin
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by IRAPADA(m): 10:09pm On Jun 30, 2010
joshO:

This is a very good move. Football needs complete over-haul, and only drastic, transformational change - root and branch - will do!

Well done Mr President. We recognize that good leadership demands actions strong and courages as this ,
u dont no what u are saying, shey na until fifa add another 4years join that 2years ur president wan get sence say dem no dey do smtin like dat
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by dammytosh: 10:15pm On Jun 30, 2010
NO CAF CHAMPIONSHIP
NO FEMALE TOURNAMENT
NO NATIONS CUP
NO UNDER 23
NO OLYMPIC
NO  ,

Uncle Jonathan,

If you have scores to settle with NFF on corruption, Get Farida to arrest those guys if they mismanaged funds and throw them in JAIL !!!!!
Conduct a fresh election while they have nice time in Jail. Periodddd !!!
    If you feel like exercising your ban power,
    NEPA   (No light), WATER (No drinkable water), MINISTRY OF LABOUR (No job for our youths)

OBASANJO WOULD HAVE DONE BETTER IN THE MIDST OF CALLOUS AND UNREASONABLE ADVICES.
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by IRAPADA(m): 10:18pm On Jun 30, 2010
dafman10:

i dont blame u because didnt no d consequence of d action of mr president on nigeria football and her officials
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by EzeUche(m): 10:37pm On Jun 30, 2010
Does he even have the power to do this? angry

Watch FIFA gives us another 2 years, because of his interference.
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by truly: 10:39pm On Jun 30, 2010
felifeli:

The name has also become an embarrassment . It should be changed to something more purposeful - like Abuja Bombers or Naija Lunatics.  grin
What about PHCN
The national assembly
Ministry of Health
Education Ministry
NIPP
NCP, BPE and privatisation of Nitel
etc

How long are we banning them for and when?
Or we are waiting for them to take part on aa competition and embarass us

As for corruption, Mrs Patience Goodluck has  case in court, when are we banning her and for how long?
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Confusion: 10:41pm On Jun 30, 2010
pls it time to ban everything and reorganise our life

Nepa banned for life
senate banned for 100 yrs
NFF banned with their families
INEC Banned till after the election
DSTV Banned until after the world cup
Nairaland banned btw 8am to 8pm
Pls just banned or dissolve everything so that we can all reorganise
sorry also ASUU Demolished
CBN PLS DONT BAN, JUST fire that man
if i think of anything else to ban, dissolve or demolis i will let you know
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by lexyy: 10:44pm On Jun 30, 2010
this is absolutely unbelievable, it lacks objectivity and common sense
this is not the solution to the problem
if the current NFF board is corrupt, let the EFCC investigate them
the government must always remember that this is a democracy
and this pronouncement is a coup detat  lipsrsealed
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by CarlosVent(m): 10:53pm On Jun 30, 2010
LET DEM REST AND HE TOOK DEM UNAWARES AHH I LIKE DIS.
MY QUESTION NW IS WHAT WILL BE COACH LAGABERCKS FAITH
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Myself2(m): 11:04pm On Jun 30, 2010
Very very good decision
Now the evil trinity of Nigerian football maladministration;Sani Lulu,Bolaji Ojooba,Amanze Uchegbunam will now be probed and jailed hopefully
[size=16pt][/size]
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by mensdept: 11:10pm On Jun 30, 2010
Absolutely
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by mensdept: 11:12pm On Jun 30, 2010
lexyy:

Helloooooo, That would amount to government interference shocked

Sometimes I think we have children on this site
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jun 30, 2010
lexyy:

good one there !!!
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by kobikwelu(m): 11:13pm On Jun 30, 2010
soon, the action would be reversed,

me tinks he is just trying to breathe a fresh air into the football game in nigeria
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by iphy42: 11:21pm On Jun 30, 2010
Mind how you talk to Mr PRESIDOO abeg. He does this, we complain, he does that, we complain. HABA. If YOU are in his shoes, would you do better? Do you think it is easy to rule over 150 million people plagued by consistent military reign. Oga carry go jo. RESPECT YOUR PRESIDENT
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by proudly9ja(m): 11:24pm On Jun 30, 2010
I think there is more to it than meets the eye. This action was well thought out. Il wait a few days before concluding.

Barely had news erupted from the seat of government in Abuja than brilafm.net went to town to feel the pulse of the nation, and our roving crew of crack reporters caught up with some top stakeholders of the round leather game.

A cross section of football technocrats who aired views on the development in chats with brilafm.net were unanimous in stating that the federal government had taken the right step in throwing the spanner into the wheels of the incumbent NFF board.

However, a member of the presidential task force, former chairman of the then Nigeria Football Association (NFA), retired Colonel Abdulmumini Aminu stated in an interview with brilafm.net that the federal government’s declaration should not be misinterpreted.

He said the directive is not meant to witch-hunt or destroy the NFF, but one seen as necessary to revive Nigerian football immediately.

“It is not a case of disbanding the NFF, but the government is withdrawing from all FIFA international competitions for two years

“Nobody is destroying the NFA. Their tenure has already expired and a new board is to be constituted to arrange election

“It’s a good decision for the country. Other countries like Ghana and Mozambique took similar decisions and bounced back.

“Ghana won the U-20 World Cup for Africa and look at them now. They are the only African country still in the World Cup and may get beyond the quarter final.

“We took the decision to reorganize for better results and I believe Nigeria will be better of for this,” said the former two-time military governor, who was also once president of West African Football Union (WAFU).

On his part, another member of the presidential task force, former football star and ex-England international, John Fashanu aid Wednesday’s directives are long overdue and a step in the right direction for the country.

“What can I say? I can only say this is the right decision by the president. I am happy that the chairman of the presidential committee, Rotimi Amaechi has been very brave to do this.

“Sooner or later, you will see us back at the World Cup and it will be better. We saw what happened in Ghana and what is now happening in France.

“It means no one can hold us to ransom and football belongs to the people. We have to take the country forward in football. The game of football belongs to the people,” said the one fondly called ‘Fash The Cash’.

Chairman/CEO Brila Group, Larry Izamoje, who is also a member of the presidential task force, equally aired his view on the development, and described it as a very constructive measure aimed at righting several wrongs in The Glasshouse.

Izamoje noted that the issues went beyond a poor performance by the Super Eagles at the World Cup, but hinted about underlining issues relating to poor accountability of funds and over handed

“Government was not too happy with the way they used FIFA’s grant. There were other things here and there.

“The president saw this as a way of moving Nigeria football forward and we just have to abide with the decision.

“This goes beyond FIFA clamping down on Nigeria. They will surely bring the hammer, but what government has done is to show that they are not happy with what has happened.

“It is to show that no one is above the law and what the president has done is meant to correct some things in the country and we just have to obey,” said ‘the coach-player’.

Izamoje went on to explain how President Goodluck Jonathan arrived at Wednesday’s directives, and admitted that the decisions were based mostly on the report presented to him in Abuja by members of the presidential task force.

“What happened it that we put together a report and government has been following what has been happening to Nigerian football for a long time.

“What government has done it to show that it is not happy with what has happened to Nigerian football at the World Cup and the Nations Cup and how the game has been run since 2006,” Izamoje explained.

He concluded with a hint that operatives in the country’s fiscal security units may move in to check finances of the NFF and audit accounts of the football body, with a view to unearthing any discrepancies of the officials.

“This is coming from the number one citizen in the country and he says government is interested in checking the books of the football body.

“We believe the agencies concerned will know how to go about what is expected on them. I think they should just all obey and see how Nigeria can improve in football.

“This one is coming from the number one man of the country, and we have to keep cool in such matter. We believe those agencies will move in and start doing their work.

“He also checked to avoid any situation where they try to change regulations and ensure the statutes of FIFA are followed. Any ploy to stay in office is what government says cannot happen.

"The sports minister has been told to inform FIFA about the decision of government to right the wrong that is in Nigerian football. We can only wait to see how we go from here. Mr. President has spoken and we want to follow suit and obey,” Big Larry concluded.
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by naso2(m): 11:28pm On Jun 30, 2010
E be like say my broda don misfire this time o.

I am really disappointed by this decision.  I hope the president understands how sensitive football is. However , unlike the Abacha era where it was seemingly a persoal decision to spite Mandela, I think GEJ in this case would have acted on the recommendation of PTF and the minister. Why thye had to recommed this is what i struggle to understand
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by mygee33(m): 11:29pm On Jun 30, 2010
lexyy:

mens dept:

Helloooooo,  That would amount to government interference  shocked

Sometimes I think we have children on this site
yes i think so too. Now how will the govt interfer if not by pulling out from fifa in the first place. So, what ever they do, be it probe, efcc, icpc, nnpc, just what ever will no be looked into again by fifa.

How much have the govt spent in that glass house without result?
How much have been missing there without trace?
How much did they declare as both expenses and gain in the Nigeria 2009 games?
How much did it cost them o send in 23 players and over 200 officials to S/A?
For how long have they been acting like this, yet they wouldn't want interference?

[size=8pt]Desperate times require desperate measure[/size]
Thank You Presidente
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by mamagee3(f): 11:31pm On Jun 30, 2010
AjanleKoko:

See nonsense talk sha.
GJ is a real doofus. So what if we hadn't qualified? Shoot the players?
I don't get why he thinks banning those already washed up losers will make a difference.

What they need is more practice and a good coach, banning them for two years wouldn't do them any good.

It would just make them fatter, lazier and more unskilled.
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by sweetpawn2: 11:40pm On Jun 30, 2010
WOULD THAT REALLY SOLVE THE PROBLEM? AFTER THIS WILL WE HAVE A WORLD CLASS TEAM BETTER THAN THE TEAM OF '94?  ISN.T THAT WHAT ABACHA DID IN '96?
FA-FA-FA-FOUL!
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by latepa(m): 11:46pm On Jun 30, 2010
Confusion:

pls it time to ban everything and reorganise our life

Nepa banned for life
senate banned for 100 yrs
NFF banned with their families
INEC Banned till after the election
DSTV Banned until after the world cup
Nairaland banned btw 8am to 8pm
Pls just banned or dissolve everything so that we can all reorganise
sorry also ASUU Demolished
CBN PLS DONT BAN, JUST fire that man
if i think of anything else to ban, dissolve or demolis i will let you know

If he want to Ban anything he should start from himself, I'm so glad to be a Nigerian, grin ;Dlook at what i could have missed grin
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by soloqy: 11:51pm On Jun 30, 2010
mikeansy:

The BAN is the only chance to even attempt to do anything differently. Otherwise Sani Lulu will elect himself and hold the whole country to ransome based on some FIFA regulation. Why can't some of us in Nairaland reason?

The ban will not guarantee change or better fortunes, but it is the only choice to change things. The FIFA regulation was designed for societies where people have shame and where people resign if found corrupt. It is not designed for Africans. Sani Lulu will never give way for change to happen

All this one folks are talking, the way the PTF are being decisive about this tells me somebody in FIFA may have given Government a nod to do this. Keep in mind that Lars Lagerback for some reasons lodged a copy of his contract with FIFA and so FIFA may be aware of the shenanigans that goes on in Nigeria. So folks chill.

It is also possible to flush Sani Lulu and co out, hand football to ex-players who may know what they are doing, re-organise the structure of the local league and 12 months down the line, re-apply to re-join FIFA meanwhile Sani Lulu may be cooling his backside in jail if he does not play ball.

Thank you very much. People are just being emotional and not really looking at the big picture. For crying out loud, Jonathan and his whole household knows the consequences and the nonsense that the monster FIFA, bandies about(banning federations for interference). What in the world do they mean by government interference?
The Government spends millions of dollars of tax payers money on Football just for some thieves to hijack it and when the same Government asks for accountability, the equally corrupt FIFA screams suspension!. The only reason the Government thought up this move was to preempt FIFA. BIO immediately set up a committee to probe the NFF after our ouster at the world cup but FIFA came out to cover the criminals at NFF by touting the ban. This nonsense has got to stop.
LULU and the entire NFF officials have already perfected ways to perpetuate themselves in office. We all know how they bribed all the chairmen of all the states FAs and paid for their trips to SA(those are the people to vote in the August elections). We need to make a clean break.

Think about it! Are we not being selfish by just wanting to watch football and satisfy our fleshly desires for entertainment? What about the millions of youths who dont have jobs? How would you feel if you hear people offering an arrogant footballer somewhere 100 thousand dollars just to qualify from a group while you have never had the opportunity of earning a stipend as salary let alone bounties? A responsible government owes it to such people to probe such misappropriation of funds(over 900million).And the only way to do this is to have a clean break even at the risk of a FIFA ban.

But mark it! this is the beginning of the end of the nonsense rule by FIFA. France is relentless in their own probe. Soon Italy will stand up to be counted. FIFA has become too big for its shoes.A government that spends money on its Football, has a right to interfere in the country's football.
Re: Jonathan Bans Nigeria From International Football For Two Years by mygee33(m): 11:54pm On Jun 30, 2010
sweet_pawn:

WOULD THAT REALLY SOLVE THE PROBLEM? AFTER THIS WILL WE HAVE A WORLD CLASS TEAM BETTER THAN THE TEAM OF '94?  ISN.T THAT WHAT ABACHA DID IN '96?
FA-FA-FA-FOUL!

For the record, ABACHA STOPED Nigeria from participating in '96 for POLITICAL reasons- Nigerian govt then was not in good billateral relations with South Africa the host nation and feared a possible extension of hostilities to her players at the tournament.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Canada 2-2 Nigeria (International Women's Friendly) / Samson Siasia Unveils Gandoki As The Official Comedian To The Dream Team VI / AFCON Qualifier: Super Eagles Apologizes To Nigerians For Failure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.