Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,023 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:35 AM

'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth (22353 Views)

CNN Interview Of Mayor Of Port Elizabeth Over FIFA Scandal Vs Sahara Reporters / Don't Allow A Poor Person To Rise To Leadership - Myles Munroe / Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by THEAMAKA(f): 8:16pm On Aug 17, 2010
occam:

@ Amaka,

well, are Ghanaians, Ivoriens or other African countires constantly in the headlines

listen, i feel your pain as well. sadly this constant bad news affects us all. thats the fact  
what pain? 

Nigeria is the "Giant" shall I say, and everyone always has their eye on us, so whatever a Nigerian does is always blown up.
and it doesn't help that Nigerian journalist feel they need to make a nation-wide broadcast every time someone is robbed or despoiled or whatever.
the bad news always gets more play than the Good.
The media is a propaganda machine.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by occam(m): 8:55pm On Aug 17, 2010
@ AMAKA

anyway your points are noted, but I disagree completely…that’s the way you see things
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Liedetect: 9:24pm On Aug 17, 2010
So Nigerians are the cause of the prejudices meted to them in south Africa? this seems to be the consensus of the apologists. so let me ask, what was the cause of the prejudice meted out to the Bantus' or the BLEKS   of South Africa in the past and also at the present ? 

the problem with Niraland is  that its full of too many foreigners masquerading as Nigerians 
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by alanbolo(m): 11:18pm On Aug 17, 2010
@ Oba234, well noted points.

As been said before, in as much as we enjoy the comfort of d Blue ppt, most of us still want 9ja imaged re-branded by our actions. Generally, we need to understand that "but frustration leads to anger" (as narrated by Oba234)

We need to know how other nationalities feel about us too and re-branded our ways one-at-a-time.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Liedetect: 11:36pm On Aug 17, 2010
The Ghana man in the article below didn't change his ways fast enough i think.

As lawlessness and racism grips Russia, Africans living in the Country have been victims of racist attacks time and again. The Russians are known to be systematically racist as their hatred for blacks goes unabated. Africans in Russia, Germany, France and Italy have been victims of racist attacks ranging from their houses and living areas being burnt down to them being stabbed on the streets by racist gangs and also being killed in cold blood. It has become very rare for governments in this countries to pursue would be perpetrators of such heinous crimes.

It has been reported that a group of unidentified attackers has stabbed to death a Ghanaian national in Russia’s second largest city of St. Petersburg, The 25-year-old man was taken to hospital in critical condition, with some 20 injuries to his head, neck, chest, kidney, stomach and limbs. He died several hours later. According to the Russian authorities, an investigation into the attack has been launched. Whether this investigation will be followed-up with a conviction is another matter. Russia has seen a wave of racially motivated crime since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. Attacks by gangs of youths on foreigners and people with non-Slavic features are a routine occurrence in Moscow, St. Petersburg and Voronezh, which hosts many foreign university students.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by koruji(m): 11:44pm On Aug 17, 2010
@Oba234
Not many peopel would disagree with most of what you stated here, but:

1. These do not imply that anybody that answers Nigerian deserves to be discriminated against, especially when there is absolutely no other reason. That is the definition of bigotry.
2. Imply that South Africa needs a tighter immigration control, not some ad hoc repulsive "We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' approach. Anything beyond your national laws and internationally accepted norms is discriminatory.

As long as a Nigerian is in your country legally, and commited no deportable crime, there is no justification for xenophobia. If the SA government wants to send all Nigerians packing let them do it openly rather than continue to harass innocent people.

The doctor that was harassed in this incident probably contributes more to the SA economy than the so-called bouncer - it goes both ways.

Your own experience should show you that this is patently wrong. If you felt it necessary to hide your Nigerian-ness in order to be accepted don't you think something is wrong - when you are the same perfectly good person whether you identified yourself as a Nigerian or not. Being nice is not unconditional - so the SA's you met might be nice to all as long no "Nigerian" showed up or they could just be nice people whether or not you are Nigerian. There is no way to tell, and you did not find out because you basically reversed the process and [size=15pt]banned [/size] your "Nigerian-ness" from showing.

Oba234:

Nobody is saying south africa is the promised land, but there are a lot of Nigerians that have this sense of deluded patriotism that really annoys me. They talk so much trash about the country without ever being there. I had a great time there and since south africans aren't here to defend themselves, I will defend them.  The Xenophobic riots in south africa was bad, but how can a country that just emerged from the Apartheid era handled the mass immigration of people that are coming to their country when they are still trying to develop their own country. Million of Zimbabweans are in south africa because of Mugabe and South Africa is forced to absorbed all those people into their economy and now the natives have to compete with them for a job when they are still  struggling. There are many people from the Congo there. Capetown is full of Somalis and Ethiopians. The security guards at my hotel were Congolese. The waiters at restaurants are all Zimbabweans. How did they get those jobs? Because they are willing to work for a lower pay than the natives and this doesn't make a lot of people happy. Many Nigerians are also there. This country is being forced to absorb all the immigrants from all over Africa because the rest of Africa can't get their Poo together. How can a developing country deals with all this? Frustration grows and it sometimes erupts into violence. In Nigeria, in the 70s or 80s, it was merely ghana and see how Nigerians treated them. Now imagine if the whole of west africa and south africa are now migrating into nigeria when Nigerians themselves are trying to find a job and see if violence won't erupt. Even in the developed country USA, anti immigration resentment is getting louder and louder and congress is in the midst of enacting a bill to not allow children of illegal immigrants to become a citizen all because they want to stop people from coming to the US. Arizona is now saying police can stop you to ask for your immigration status. Even in a developed country, it's a big problem, now a developing country like south africa, after emerging from Apartheid now has to deal with massive immigration into their country. I am not saying what they did is right, but frustration leads to anger. Also, the Xenophobic violence that occured in south africa two yrs ago was not as serious as they made it seemed in the media. The media is a propaganda machine. I even asked the locals there about that situation and they told me it wasn't as serious as they made it seemed and it was only restricted to a certain area
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by otumfour(m): 12:05am On Aug 18, 2010
wtf is wrong wit liedetect and her insults against Ghanaians? angry, I bet she juz wished it wuz Ghanaians who'd done tht, like I said b4, this ain' abt Nigerians alone, but the whole of black Africa, we need to put our houses in order
Btw, oba234! I salute u bro, U have spoken well and u'v bin the realest thus far bruh,
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Liedetect: 12:19am On Aug 18, 2010
Two Ghanaians who didn't change their ways fast enough  to appease the Russians and a Nigerian attacked:

MOSCOW (MPC) – The new year has started off with a wave of attacks against people belonging to visible minorities, particularly Africans, across Moscow. The Moscow Protestant Chaplaincy (MPC)’s Task Force on Racial Violence and Harassment, an organization which documents verbal and physical abuse against people of color in Russia, has received several reports of severely violent attacks since the beginning of 2010. Three members of MPC’s African community were attacked in quick succession starting with an employee of the Ghanaian embassy who was beaten on New Year’s Day in an unprovoked attack while standing at a bus stop, sustaining severe cuts and bruises and spent a day in hospital for treatment. Following this assault, a Ghanaian man was repeatedly stabbed while returning from church on Sunday 10 January in a targeted attack. The victim sustained severe stab wounds, as well as a lacerated liver. Another Nigerian man was beaten on 12 January after exiting Tretyakovskaya metro station, sustaining a broken hand and severe cuts and bruises. The three victims, all of whom are active members in MPC, have survived their attacks but questions are being raised as to what is leading to this spike in violence against members of the African community in the new year. MPC is warning members of its African community to be on guard and exercise caution.

We have been given permission to share the above photo of the Ghanaian victim who was stabbed on January 10.

http://african-russia.net/page/3/

MPC Task Force will be releasing their regularly scheduled 4th Quarter Summary Report in the next few days. We plan to provide more details about the above mentioned attacks in that report. If you would like more information in the meantime, please contact one of us.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Oba234: 12:20am On Aug 18, 2010
koruji:

@Oba234
Not many peopel would disagree with most of what you stated here, but:

1. These do not imply that anybody that answers Nigerian deserves to be discriminated against, especially when there is absolutely no other reason. That is the definition of bigotry.
2. Imply that South Africa needs a tighter immigration control, not some ad hoc repulsive "We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' approach. Anything beyond your national laws and internationally accepted norms is discriminatory.

As long as a Nigerian is in your country legally, and commited no deportable crime, there is no justification for xenophobia. If the SA government wants to send all Nigerians packing let them do it openly rather than continue to harass innocent people.

The doctor that was harassed in this incident probably contributes more to the SA economy than the so-called bouncer - it goes both ways.

Your own experience should show you that this is patently wrong. If you felt it necessary to hide your Nigerian-ness in order to be accepted don't you think something is wrong - when you are the same perfectly good person whether you identified yourself as a Nigerian or not. Being nice is not unconditional - so the SA's you met might be nice to all as long no "Nigerian" showed up or they could just be nice people whether or not you are Nigerian. There is no way to tell, and you did not find out because you basically reversed the process and [size=15pt]banned [/size] your "Nigerian-ness" from showing.

first of all, Nigerians are not all discriminated against in south Africa. Just because there are a few incidences of discrimination doesn't mean the south african government hates Nigerians. Do you know that thousands if not millions of Nigerians in south african live there and nobody bothers them, but as soon as some nigerian experience some discrimination, it makes the news? They must love the place if they refuse to go back to nigeria. It's the truth that many nigerians in south africa are not there legally and many of them are in the drug business. It's unfortunate that the bad ones makes life difficult for the good ones, but it's the truth. A lot of nigerians in south africa are in some kind of shady business.  Secondly, you are taking what I said in the previous post a bit too literally. It was said in a jokingly kind of way. I didn't go out of my way to say I wasn't nigerian. Many of them just assume that I was an American because I came to south Africa with a group of Americans anyway and I have an American accent, so I didn't go out of my way to change their notion because they were right. I am nigerian american and it's not that big of a deal to me.  It depends on the situation. In some situation, I say I am an American and while talking to some locals, I told some of them I was Nigeria. It wasn't really that big of a deal for me. I do remember that I when I was in capetown, when I get into conversations with people,  I told some people that I was of nigerian nationality and none of them killed me o. Actually they didn't care, so now what?
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by koruji(m): 1:31am On Aug 18, 2010
You are not disaggreeing with much of what I said either. However, there is a fine line between keeping an eye out because there are bad elements within a group of people, and using blanket "bigotry" methods, such as "We don't allow Nigerians in here". There was (and this is the point) "absolutely no other other reason to suspect this [size=15pt]particular person[/size] of any crime. They are basically saying if you are Nigerian, you must be criminal enough to be unwanted here - even if you happen to be the Doctor to their president.

Oba234:

first of all, Nigerians are not all discriminated against in south Africa. Just because there are a few incidences of discrimination doesn't mean the south african government hates Nigerians. Do you know that thousands if not millions of Nigerians in south african live there and nobody bothers them, but as soon as some nigerian experience some discrimination, it makes the news? They must love the place if they refuse to go back to nigeria. It's the truth that many nigerians in south africa are not there legally and many of them are in the drug business. It's unfortunate that the bad ones makes life difficult for the good ones, but it's the truth. A lot of nigerians in south africa are in some kind of shady business.  Secondly, you are taking what I said in the previous post a bit too literally. It was said in a jokingly kind of way. I didn't go out of my way to say I wasn't nigerian. Many of them just assume that I was an American because I came to south Africa with a group of Americans anyway and I have an American accent, so I didn't go out of my way to change their notion because they were right. I am nigerian american and it's not that big of a deal to me.  It depends on the situation. In some situation, I say I am an American and while talking to some locals, I told some of them I was Nigeria. It wasn't really that big of a deal for me. I do remember that I when I was in capetown, when I get into conversations with people,  I told some people that I was of nigerian nationality and none of them killed me o. Actually they didn't care, so now what?

Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Oba234: 2:29am On Aug 18, 2010
koruji:

You are not disaggreeing with much of what I said either. However, there is a fine line between keeping an eye out because there are bad elements within a group of people, and using blanket "bigotry" methods, such as "We don't allow Nigerians in here". There was (and this is the point) "absolutely no other other reason to suspect this [size=15pt]particular person[/size] of any crime. They are basically saying if you are Nigerian, you must be criminal enough to be unwanted here - even if you happen to be the Doctor to their president.

I never said what they did was right. I don't even know how I got on this subject, but I completely agreed that it's bigotry on their part.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Nobody: 2:31am On Aug 18, 2010
Oba234:

I never said what they did was right. I[b] don't even know how I got on this subject,[/b] but I completely agreed that it's bigotry on their part.

Basically said S.A were nice people that treated you nicely. But before that you said something about lying to them about your nationality. Am I wrong?
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Kilode1: 2:54am On Aug 18, 2010
When you read stories like the ones posted in the link below( follow the links within the comments for more) about various Nigerian leaders and their drug dealing businesses, you begin to see why these people hate and are afraid of Nigerians.

Yes, there is no reasonable excuse for most of the generalizations we hear about our people,
but at the same time, these allegations and the vulgar display of wealth by Nigerian political leaders despite the poverty and pain suffered by our people just makes you wonder.

http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/j/forum/archive/index.php/t-54479.html
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Oba234: 2:59am On Aug 18, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Basically said S.A were nice people that treated you nicely.  But before that you said something about lying to them about your nationality. Am I wrong?

I defended south africans because many Nigerians here were bashing them because of the action of a few and there are no south african here to defend themselves. Since my experience was a positive experience, why would I sit there and allow people to say so many negative things about them when it's not true? read my whole post again, I never lied about my nationality.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by THEAMAKA(f): 3:16am On Aug 18, 2010
Oba234:

I defended south africans because many Nigerians here were bashing them because of the action of a few and there are no south african here to defend themselves. Since my experience was a positive experience, why would I sit there and allow people to say so many negative things about them when it's not true? read my whole post again, I never lied about my nationality.
its not that they aren't nice people but some are saying how they act TOWARDS NIGERIANS. you were there claiming American so you did not interact with them as a Nigerian to know if they are really nice TOWARDS NIGERIANS.

when I was in south africa this summer, I didn't tell anybody I was nigerian. I have an american accent and an american passport so I was shower with love. I have heard that they hate Nigerians.
lmao, I don't blame you. I was a black american in southafrica because I didn't want to make enemies o.

jokes?
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Nobody: 3:18am On Aug 18, 2010
Oba234:

Ok oh.

its not that they aren't nice people but some are saying how they act TOWARDS NIGERIANS. you were there claiming American so you did not interact with them as a Nigerian to know if they are really nice TOWARDS NIGERIANS.
That's what I thought
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by bisiaet: 10:05am On Aug 18, 2010
the problem with Niraland is that its full of too many foreigners masquerading as Nigerians

I sincerely agree with this poster comment because this was how a no face a coward camerounian was posting all sorts of nonsense and abusing Nigeria when the thread about Obudu Ranch came up some time ago he was behind the curtain until it was revealed he is a Camerounian all I just said to him wss to just please cool off feet and the site this is www.Nairaland and not www.Cfaland because Nigerians dont just jump to any country site and started saying nonsense or abusing them so please stay off before this guy finally kept quiet it was so horrible.

I had read this thread over and over I realised so many are on this web site are total starngere determine to run mouth anyhow and that is why I did not posted anything as per this thread because when issues like this comes up I like to have a deal with my fellow Nigerians who will understand the message well not those prentending enermy of Nigeria and enermy of their felow Black race. God bless.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by otumfour(m): 10:51am On Aug 18, 2010
I still don' fu,ckin' get liedetects point anywayz, wht has Ghana got to do wit this? 
do we alwayz have to bring Ghana in? this is abt South Africa,
am a Ghanaian and this cud easily have happened to a Ghanaian or any other black African, we have to work on our leaders, "look inwards" like som1 posted earlier on,
we sure can't blame all South Africans for this, there are some good 1's, isshh, the irony is tht our people will still travel even when things ain' tht bad in life back home lol, why will u travel to Libya in search of a betta life? I sometimes don' get it
oba234 has been spitting the truth all along, this dude has been the realest, the truth hurts but som1's gotta tell it
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Nobody: 11:03am On Aug 18, 2010
My naija folks dey fall my hand.if South Africa can't even love themselves, why should they love nigeria ?. .luck dube was killed because they thought he was a nigerian.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by kelvin(m): 11:37am On Aug 18, 2010
It was the restaurants policy, not South African to refuse the Nigerian. Personally, I think it will be unfair to classify all SA as Nigerian haters, just as it's also wrong to classify all Nigerians as misfits.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Nobody: 11:45am On Aug 18, 2010
Free me jo. . .they are all the same,if not,what is their government doing about it ?
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by kelvin(m): 11:46am On Aug 18, 2010
It was the restaurants policy, not South African to refuse the Nigerian. Personally, I think it will be unfair to classify all SA as Nigerian haters, just as it's also wrong to classify all Nigerians as misfits.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Nobody: 12:00pm On Aug 18, 2010
So the south African government does see it as her duty to protect foreigners in her homeland ? Which kind person you be?
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by agor1974: 12:14pm On Aug 18, 2010
reading on all the post by many Nigerians in nairaland it shows many see the issue of Nigerians and criminality as a tribal matter,its always refer to a particular tribe as if the rest are saints.south African blacks are not truthful their own people are involve in all sort of criminality but they don't want to talk about it they blames foreigner,recently  their former police chief was indicted in dealings in drug and other frauds with his white master.Nigerians should learn to be more offensive towards other black people these people don't want anything Good about Nigeria and Nigerians they grumble about everything Nigeria does Walter bad or good,black south Africans have shown to Nigerians an open hostility which their law enforcer's have short and kill many Nigerians with an open hatered mostly by calling them Bleep en Nigerians,   the same with black magistrate with the way its going if Nigeria should sink many Africans will celebrate.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by kelvin(m): 12:27pm On Aug 18, 2010
I think it is still too soon to conclude that the SA government is doing nothing to protect foreigners, lets wait and see how it turns out.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by blackcat1: 12:27pm On Aug 18, 2010
agor1974:
####Nigerians should learn to be more offensive towards other black people these people don't want anything Good about Nigeria and Nigerians

well said
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by tkb417(m): 12:31pm On Aug 18, 2010
Never had issues in S.A tho apart from the hudlums at the airport always looking for stuffs to snatch
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Nobody: 12:46pm On Aug 18, 2010
kelvin:

I think it is still too soon to conclude that the SA government is doing nothing to protect foreigners, lets wait and see how it turns out.
Is this the first time you are hearing of south Africans mistreatment towards nigerians without the government dng absolute nothing to protect nigerians
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by kelvin(m): 1:01pm On Aug 18, 2010
Is this the first time you are hearing of south Africans mistreatment towards nigerians without the government dng absolute nothing to protect nigerians

If that's the case, then the same can be said for most African governments. Even the Nigerian government is known for abandoning cases like this. It's not the first time Nigerians have been wronged abroad, our government barks, but they never bite.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Nobody: 1:08pm On Aug 18, 2010
How many of this case has the nigerian government abandoned ? Which nationality was involved,please i like to know
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Engen(m): 1:36pm On Aug 18, 2010
Oba234

Offline Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth
« #229 on: Yesterday at 05:51:24 PM »
well, I claim I was an American and I wasn't lying. I am an American. Even though I wasn't technically Nigerian when interacting with them, but they treated everybody I saw with respect. I was in a hotel full of Ghanians and they were treated pretty nice, which is why I said, maybe Nigerians just have a way of bringing out the bad in people that are normally good.

Pls keep your thoughts to yourself, I have lived in South Africa for many years, most Nigerians have nothing to do with crime, There is just this hatred towards Nigerians because dey no we’ re better…
Using Ghanaians as an example just show hw ignorant and foolish your America self can be,
because Ghanaians too hate Nigerians dey make it a point of duty to let South Africans knows dey re not Nigeria, south African dnt feel threatened of any Ghanaian.
I dnt see dis treatment frm south Africans because of my position and power bt I hear stories of ordinary Nigerians with legitimate businesses in Johannesburg,
Pls shut the f—-k up
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by jot01(m): 1:36pm On Aug 18, 2010
They are all stupid.

We still the Giant of Africa. No Matter what, we still remain Nija for Life.

Not all Nigerians are Into Drugs and also this White people are the People who Uses the drugs , so whats there Problem

Cheers Guys

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Poor Refineries: FG Issues Supplementary Import Permit For Petrol / Why Does President Buhari Treat Shiites And Fulani Herdsmen Differently? premium / Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.