Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,642 members, 7,813,156 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:56 AM

'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth (22357 Views)

CNN Interview Of Mayor Of Port Elizabeth Over FIFA Scandal Vs Sahara Reporters / Don't Allow A Poor Person To Rise To Leadership - Myles Munroe / Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by honeric01(m): 11:03pm On Aug 15, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

grin grin grin

You know, I dont even know what to say about all these. I doubt if there's a solution for our bad reputation.

Back, couldn't take any nap, rather, it was a cute romantic movie i watched (french) even though i didn't hear a word from what they said, but i just used my imagination to scrap out a script for myself grin grin

As for a solution, i have few for you and they go thus:

1: Change the name from Nigeria to Wazobia and a citizen of wazobia would be known as Wazobians or Wazobies

2: Before you can be a citizen, you must swear by SANGO, OBATALA, ORUNMILA, OLOKUN and any other African gods present that if you in no way soil the new name, may the wrath of these gods fall on you and your entire family.

3 : Draft out a Constitution stating that whoever is caught committing fraud of any MAGNITUDE, he or she should be STONED TO DEATH at the market square, not just him/her alone, but with the immediate family.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Nobody: 11:13pm On Aug 15, 2010
honeric01:

Back, couldn't take any nap, rather, it was a cute romantic movie i watched (french) even though i didn't hear a word from what they said, but i just used my imagination to scrap out a script for myself grin grin
You and romance. . . . hmm hmm hmm. What was the movie?

honeric01:

As for a solution, i have few for you and they go thus:

1: Change the name from Nigeria to Wazobia and a citizen of wazobia would be known as Wazobians or Wazobies

2: Before you can be a citizen, you must swear by SANGO, OBATALA, ORUNMILA, OLOKUN and any other African gods present that if you in no way soil the new name, may the wrath of these gods fall on you and your entire family.

3 : Draft out a Constitution stating that whoever is caught committing fraud of any MAGNITUDE, he or she should be STONED TO DEATH at the market square, not just him/her alone, but with the immediate family

I support grin grin grin
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by honeric01(m): 12:07am On Aug 16, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

You and romance. . . . hmm hmm hmm. What was the movie?

I'm afraid i don't know the title. embarassed
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by oge4real(f): 12:31am On Aug 16, 2010
Ara gbagbu kwa ha ebe ahu.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by wealthlift(m): 6:02pm On Aug 16, 2010
SA can never stop racism
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by tkb417(m): 6:03pm On Aug 16, 2010
at least nobody is gonna racially abuse me in Lagos, Abeokuta, Ijebu Igbo and Abuja

i no dey jump up and down dey look for wetin no lost

when all of una come back to 9ja, they wont have anybody to abuse/curse

dem papa dem mama grin grin grin grin
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Nayah(f): 6:16pm On Aug 16, 2010
this is simply sad, for real I used to know about Nigerian bad reputation as well in Africa as in the rest of the World but it's very sad because we're africans so brothers whether we want or not and generalizing leads to mistakes.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by kreem7(m): 6:31pm On Aug 16, 2010
Common African brother abnegating, na wao!
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Chongaiman: 6:49pm On Aug 16, 2010
Truly you'll hardly find SAns in 9ja. A lot of our countrymen are just viruses in other countries. Unfortunately, the insults get back to all of us. These insults would keep on coming so long as the status quo remains. So much for re-branding. And being who we are, a people whose charity begins abroad, we would keep on looking at the speck in others' eyes while overlooking the beam in ours. Just waiting for Somalia to start meting out the same treatment to us. May be we would start getting the message then.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by strokein(f): 6:51pm On Aug 16, 2010
wow this is indeed a big let down for Nigeria
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Nayah(f): 6:58pm On Aug 16, 2010
I've just read this,
http://www.topix.com/forum/world/nigeria/T66KQ1NB683TJNHU4
Too many stereotypes
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by mikeoscar: 7:11pm On Aug 16, 2010
Some folks are overly paranoid  . . . what the heck has the movie to do with this? ROFLMAO!!

Just in case you didn't see the movie in question, I did. In the movie the Gang leader is named Obasanjo, we  are clearly potrayed as drug dealers gangsters, love-peddlers, Pimps,cannibals etc,

Back to the subject on hand, the bouncer or door Keeper allegedly told the Nigerian Doctor that NIGERIANS ARE NOT WELCOMED IN THERE BECAUSE THEY DO DRUGS. If you can relate to both incidents and several others including the murder of innocent Nigerians in South Africa and several other humiliations we have suffered in SA you will realise that to say folks are overly paraniod[i][/i] is to state that you are not following the trend of things in SA as it relates to Nigeria.

To take you back to the Appartheid regime when I was in Primary and High school we were taught that South Africa was the centre piece of Nigeria's  foreign policy. We trained south Africans in Nigerian Universities, paid scholarships for them in the U.K. cUBA and the U.S. as well supported the struggle through several campaigns and protest to the U.N. and international communities. We even spent a lot of our money to support the ANC to ensure the struggle wasn't starved of Money.

I don't have personal interests in South Africa but I have friends there. Truth be told, to lump all Nigerians in one suitcase and brand us is the silliest thing our brethren down south of the continent have concieved.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Ademolag(m): 7:27pm On Aug 16, 2010
Why dont dis guys come back home n not destroy our image.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Feraz(m): 7:29pm On Aug 16, 2010
Wow! So much for d hatred from other forums n blogs! Seriously, we don't deserve this.
Guess this is an eye opener for us all.
Check this out http://m.topix.com/forum/world/nigeria/T66KQ1NB683TJNHU4
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by THEAMAKA(f): 7:29pm On Aug 16, 2010
mike oscar:

Just in case you didn't see the movie in question, I did. In the movie the Gang leader is named Obasanjo, we  are clearly potrayed as drug dealers gangsters, love-peddlers, Pimps,cannibals etc,

Back to the subject on hand, the bouncer or door Keeper allegedly told the Nigerian Doctor that NIGERIANS ARE NOT WELCOMED IN THERE BECAUSE THEY DO DRUGS. If you can relate to both incidents and several others including the murder of innocent Nigerians in South Africa and several other humiliations we have suffered in SA you will realise that to say folks are overly paraniod[i][/i] is to state that you are not following the trend of things in SA as it relates to Nigeria.

haha, and yeah South Africans are known for doing the exact same thing in their own country. throwing stones in a glass house. SMH.
also. . . they get away with it. why? Because the Nigerian government won't do anything about it.
if American citizens were being given the same treatment as Nigerians? IT WOULD BE A DIFFERENT STORY.
the people in Aso Rock are just useless!

sometimes i think. . . why did Nigerians help[b] those people[/b] in the first place? look at the way Nigerians are being treated now.
generalizing and prejudice.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Chongaiman: 7:29pm On Aug 16, 2010
@ mike oscar
That was a real dumb ass foreign policy. How can one living in face-me-i-face-you pursue the interests of his co-tenants over those of his immediate family? See the rewards we are reaping now. America's foreign policy is obviously centred on herself, while Africa's still the centre of our foreign policy (that is if we still have any at all).
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by omoabike: 7:36pm On Aug 16, 2010
Guys this is indeed very sad and stories like these ones are what made me resolved that as soon as my expat status ends I will be on the first plane home. As the world continues to grapple with the effect of the economic doldrums, we should expect more xenophobic attacks from citizens of several countries.
I was reading a story on PBS Facebook Page just yesterday about Republicans lawmakers playing with the idea of repealing or modifying the 14th Amendment of the United States Constitution which gives automatic citizenship to anybody born in the United States. While this is not the worst story to come from the Tea Baggers nutcases, it is not the story that is the issue but the comments by Americans on the story that give me such concerns. The comments were in the same light as the ones by South Africans against Nigerians only that you just replace it with Mexicans or Latinos.
In fact one of the comments was about how Ireland changed their birth citizenship laws when it became obvious Nigerians were moving to Ireland to gain citizenship for their kids.
Funny enough, some Nigerians I have met here in the US think this xenophobic feeling towards Latinos by Americans is justified forgetting that their own status as immigrants could be threatened if the Tea Baggers have their ways.
While “till thy kingdom come” people would be leaving their countries to look for better opportunities abroad, experience has  shown that the live of the expert immigrant is never a bed of roses so one can imagine how it would be for an unqualified and semi skilled person.  We Nigerians should realize that we do not have a reputation of integrity because of acts of a few of our country people and as such we should expect more of these.
I think this should be a wakeup call to us to make a last stand to change the situation of things in our country. Others would not do it for us and running away will not solve the problems too it will only allow them to fester.
We should not  put the blame also at the feet of our Rulers alone, as they are just behaving as rulers do and we as followers are equally culpable in the mess Nigeria has become.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:39pm On Aug 16, 2010
guess what, if it were some corrupt minister or government official, they will give them free meals at an openly anti-nigerian restuarant and why do you think that is, We lot do not do anything but write fanciful words on PLACARDS and match and shout all day to Idiots who do not even understand the words written on those PLACARDS nor the language  angry
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by bodsibobo(m): 7:47pm On Aug 16, 2010
thank God I got my frigging interests outa that useless country.

SA - BEAUTIFUL LAND; WICKED PEOPLE!!!
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by spikedcylinder: 7:49pm On Aug 16, 2010
@ EzeUche

All I can do is hold my head in shame. The Nigerian name has been soiled around the world. It is a disgrace.

I wish Biafra had succeeded.  

That would save me of the embarrassment of being called a Nigerian

Interesting.
Nigerians are being called names because honestly, if we are to check ourselves, we have more bad than good people out there. Its a shame but it's what it is.
Based on your Biafran kinship though, are you saying if it had succeded, there will not be one Biafran who is the so called drug dealer, prostitute, armed robber etc or my dear brother, the Western, Northern and Southern Nigerians are mainly the bloody bad eggs in the bunch?
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Nayah(f): 7:52pm On Aug 16, 2010
Hello omoabike, Nigerian has a hige population, I think this is too easy to post or label a repuation to people. Excuse me but for me this is about weak people,I mean brain weak people because I don't really understand how mature people can base a whole statement toward a whole population just because of rumours of fex experience? When appartheid was as its tops Nigeria and so as a lot of countries in our continent just help some SA to come in their land in order to have a better life, especially a safe life.

Now people should to be more mature, every country has its good and bad or ups and downs how a small( because yes this is a minority) group of people should represent a whole country? I could also Nigerians are welcoming, warming, sophisticated, hard working and pay attention to their relatives because I know a lot of that. Really, african should start gahtering because it's a shame we are still the only group of people where tribalistic, interethnic and division issues remain highlighted and pointed out. SA should remember and this is especially for our black fellows, even though westerners are caressing them smothly and flattering them they are just and still black for them, I'm not talking about Africaaners because it's obvious that a big part of them is everything but tolerant
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Nayah(f): 7:55pm On Aug 16, 2010
omoabike it was to respond when you say it should be a waken up for Nigerians, All nigerians are not responsible of some immature and childish persons.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by mikeoscar: 7:59pm On Aug 16, 2010
@The Amaka & Chongaiman,
I can't agree any less with you both. Back in the days I wondered what we had to gain but remember, we were trying to assert ourselves as the giant of Africa (I don't know if we eventually achieved that though) and we had money to spend. The exchange rate for dollar/pound to Naira was ridiculously in  our favor.

I won't say we did not think about the gold and diamonds etc in South Africa but I mean, we prolly thought o.k. we will have some stability in SA and then we can move in our resources and also engage in a strong mutual/bilateral relationship devoid of any arm twisting. Unfortunately our politicians have messed up our name , our integrity and our collective soverignty now we get all those stereotypes and the sort of articles posted here. South Africa now have a strong and thriving  Telecom industry in Nigeria. The last time I was in Naija I saw smartly dressed SA air hostesses and pilots and a huge Nigerian crowd waiting to board SA Airlines.

I'm even sad that that Camerounian girl, nayah or what has something to say also that's how far down  we have fallen, lol, but make no mistakes Nigeria is on the brink of a turn around and by God's grace and prayers and a change of our mentality we will survive this turbulent times.

Troubles don't last always so this season too shall pass. My children will definitely not return to a Nigeria that everybody hates including her own citizens.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by omoabike: 8:04pm On Aug 16, 2010
@Nayah
I am not blaming Nigerians , I am, just saying that the effect of the economic "meltdown" is making more and more people in the "Advanced" countries to become xenophobic.
I am only imploring  Nigerians to see this as a wake up call for us to work towards changing the situation of things in the country. Note I did not say our Rulers because I know those ones are failures.
I mean you and I and every other Nigerians who believe that it is not by accident that we were born Nigerians.
These xenophobic attacks will not stop because folks are looking for who to blame for their economic woes, and who else to blame than the "bloody" immigrants.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by mikeoscar: 8:15pm On Aug 16, 2010
Guys this is indeed very sad and stories like these ones are what made me resolved that as soon as my expat status ends I will be on the first plane home. As the world continues to grapple with the effect of the economic doldrums, we should expect more xenophobic attacks from citizens of several countries.
I was reading a story on PBS Facebook Page just yesterday about Republicans lawmakers playing with the idea of repealing or modifying the 14th Amendment of the United States Constitution which gives automatic citizenship to anybody born in the United States. While this is not the worst story to come from the Tea Baggers nutcases, it is not the story that is the issue but the comments by Americans on the story that give me such concerns. The comments were in the same light as the ones by South Africans against Nigerians only that you just replace it with Mexicans or Latinos.
In fact one of the comments was about how Ireland changed their birth citizenship laws when it became obvious Nigerians were moving to Ireland to gain citizenship for their kids.
Funny enough, some Nigerians I have met here in the US think this xenophobic feeling towards Latinos by Americans is justified forgetting that their own status as immigrants could be threatened if the Tea Baggers have their ways.
While “till thy kingdom come” people would be leaving their countries to look for better opportunities abroad, experience has  shown that the live of the expert immigrant is never a bed of roses so one can imagine how it would be for an unqualified and semi skilled person.  We Nigerians should realize that we do not have a reputation of integrity because of acts of a few of our country people and as such we should expect more of these.
I think this should be a wakeup call to us to make a last stand to change the situation of things in our country. Others would not do it for us and running away will not solve the problems too it will only allow them to fester.
We should not  put the blame also at the feet of our Rulers alone, as they are just behaving as rulers do and we as followers are equally culpable in the mess Nigeria has become.

@Omoabike,
Incidentally, I saw the story on CNN here in Houston and It was quite a sad moment for me and my wife. This silly Mexican lady was stage-managed to tell the whole world that She crossed into the U.S. to have a baby and that she will do it again if she got pregnant. I live and work  here legally but I cannot gloat over any laws against latinos because I know Nigerians and other Africans will be affected most. For the latinos they can die trying to scale those perimeter fences but we have to fly across the atlantic and have a baby that will be later denied citizenship is something un-thinkable. Haba!

So far it's the republicans(as usual) that are peddling the news that aLQEADA have a plan to flood the U.S. have babies and take them out of the U.S. for training till they are 20 then send them back to cause mayhem.While I cannot argue if there is a remote possibility all I can say is that if there's any amendment resulting from this news especially with the way CNN has been embelishing the story then most non-immigrant Africans/Nigerians living here without papers will struggle to explain to their kids why they are born here and yet cannot claim citizenship.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Nayah(f): 8:19pm On Aug 16, 2010
Omoabike yes I understand but these "weak"people should also being grown up people, perfection does not exist and there will always have some bad people but as rational individual they should think before acting or sayind wicked things

Oscar Mike good to see too, from that Cameroonian
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by member479760: 8:46pm On Aug 16, 2010
The fact that this guy is a medical doctor doesn't exclude him from drug business after in USA some of these doctors are into medicaid fraud.
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by ikeyman00(m): 8:47pm On Aug 16, 2010
@@@@@@@@@@@@

the wahala with some people is haha they alway protrude what they dnt know

take a look at the quote below

typical spikecylinder people that hate thmselves; u see i have seen alot of your kind; some even boast they will never go back to settling in naija; but when wahala strikes watch running like headless chickens

Interesting.
Nigerians are being called names because honestly, if we are to check ourselves, we have more bad than good people out there. Its a shame but it's what it is.
Based on your Biafran kinship though, are you saying if it had succeded, there will not be one Biafran who is the so called drug dealer, love-peddler, armed robber etc or my dear brother, the Western, Northern and Southern Nigerians are mainly the bloody bad eggs in the bunch?

well i guess they germans should be buryin their heads in sand cuz of their past

i step aside to let someone out there come up with verdict  cool
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by tkb417(m): 9:00pm On Aug 16, 2010
Interesting.
how did you come about this assertion
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Markenny(m): 9:02pm On Aug 16, 2010
my room turn upside down 10mins ago by drug agents+plozie
cos am black plus nigerian.will this ppl ever quite?this ppl call me all names
like NIGGa, black monkey, drug dealer,treatin to put me in jail
for been black.am tired of europ.maybe there are tired of all nigerians
how about all black go back to afric?there we will be nice
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by tkb417(m): 9:06pm On Aug 16, 2010
if Nigerians are so bad, how come they wont stop coming to invest in Nigeria

they cant allow us enter their restaurants but yet they want Multichoice and MTN to make money from us

twisted i think
Re: 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth by Chongaiman: 9:12pm On Aug 16, 2010
omoabike:

@Nayah
I am not blaming Nigerians , I am, just saying that the effect of the economic "meltdown" is making more and more people in the "Advanced" countries to become xenophobic.
I am only imploring  Nigerians to see this as a wake up call for us to work towards changing the situation of things in the country. Note I did not say our Rulers because I know those ones are failures.
I mean you and I and every other Nigerians who believe that it is not by accident that we were born Nigerians.
These xenophobic attacks will not stop because folks are looking for who to blame for their economic woes, and who else to blame than the "bloody" immigrants.

Omoabike,
Don't forget that NL is for Nigerians and the (sometimes not too friendly) friends of Nigeria. Nayah is in the 2nd category.
Nayah,
I know we could always count on your support in all issues (except those bordering on Bakassi Peninsular, Obudu Cattle Ranch and Cameroun  grin). Nevertheless, if we don't stop apportioning blames to others for our ills, we may never begin to look inward enough to take our destiny in our hands.
NLers,
I believe this link posted by Feraz would make an interesting read on how Nigerian men are generally viewed by foreign women:
http://m.topix.com/forum/world/nigeria/T66KQ1NB683TJNHU4

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Army Set To Establish Brigade At Sambisa Forest- Punch / Updates From Ondo State APC Primaries / Things You Never Knew About Herbert Macaulay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.