Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,149 members, 7,811,281 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:09 AM

Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili (20973 Views)

The Senate Without Dora Akunyili / Saharareporters: Dora Akunyili's Resignation Letter / Tension Over Akunyili’s Senatorial Ambition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 8:10pm On Nov 16, 2010
We are also one of the few nations who can incorporate a numerical digit into our nickname: 9ja. Are we cool or what? cool
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by kulex2k1(m): 8:14pm On Nov 16, 2010
As for me o i be 100% Naija!!! Dora come sue me!!
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by mammyword: 8:17pm On Nov 16, 2010
, what exactly is negative in refering to Nigeria as Naija? Pettyness in government is distasteful but coming from Prof. Dora Akunyili i am inclined to call it misguided passion. She's like a mother who loves you so much and wants you to do everything exactly as she suggests .However, just as that technique doesn't work at home, it can't work in government, i assume that's one of the reasons why people in government should also have people on their team who help them filter their passions in the sieve of rationality,common sense, common good, public opinion and Neccessity.

Naija for life!!!!!!!
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by jmaine: 8:21pm On Nov 16, 2010
Guess her idleness is overwhelming her brains shocked. This is really not an issue she should pick with
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by raycomray: 8:30pm On Nov 16, 2010
I HAVE A FEELING THAT DORA AKUNYILI HAS BEEN CORRUPTED BY THE PROFESSIONAL POLITICIANS. THE FIRST DAY THIS THOUGHT FLASHED MY MIND, I LOST ALL THE RESPECT I HAVE FOR HER.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by denitro(m): 8:39pm On Nov 16, 2010
The term[b] Yankee [/b]
(sometimes shortened to "Yank"wink has a few interrelated meanings,
usually referring to someone either of general United States origin or, more specifically within the States

Aussie is Australian slang for an Australian.

Naija refers to someone of Nigerian heritage.

This is not common to only Nigeria
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by mbulela: 8:43pm On Nov 16, 2010
This publicity seeking woman is at it again.
nothing she does surprises me.
She has long past her expiry date.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by olaolabiy: 8:44pm On Nov 16, 2010
The question is: why do people who are not teaching/lecturing in universities/colleges use the title 'PROFESSOR'?

If you are not teaching/lecturing in a universty/college, you are not qualified to use 'professor'. It is not a title people use for good.

But, in Naija, they keep the title for good.

This is what this woman should be debating.

Dora, you are a politician, stop using that title (professor).
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by hackney(m): 8:45pm On Nov 16, 2010
We can all now see how useless our ministers are.
She is worried about slangs while erosion is carrying away her illiterate village in darkness.

Happily, the active upcoming generation of [size=28pt]naija[/size] are not foolish.
We know when foolish looters are wasting everybody's time and we want to do away with
them all; permanently.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Radiant(f): 8:53pm On Nov 16, 2010
Naija o ni ba je o!  grin

Yeye woman!
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by 1025: 8:58pm On Nov 16, 2010
it is now obvious that our facebook president(jonathan) and his ministers have nothing to offer.
up naija.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by olaolabiy: 8:59pm On Nov 16, 2010
In fact, we shouldn't call it 'Nigeria'. It should be called 'Niger' smiley.

The name was actually coined from the 'Niger Company' lipsrsealed.

Dora, wake Lugard's wife up get clues .  YEYE. angry
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 8:59pm On Nov 16, 2010
080NAIJA 4 life - etisalat

GLO NAIJA SINGS

POWER OF NAIJA

waiting go happen to all this

wating go happen to the site

naijapals
itsnaija
naijahotjobs

please go keep your kitchen clean if you no get job do again. RUBBISH
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by InkedNerd(f): 8:59pm On Nov 16, 2010
hackney:

We can all now see how useless our ministers are.
She is worried about slangs while erosion is carrying away her illiterate village in darkness.

Happily, the active upcoming generation of naija are not foolish.
We know when foolish looters are wasting everybody's time and we want to do away with
them all; permanently.

Lmaaaaaaaoooooo @ red part.

Personally, I have no problem using the word 'Naija'. Seems more like a word of endearment rather than a word of offense. Seems like the minister has way too much time on her hands. I'm sure there other things she should be worrying about. I mean c'mon, name one country on Earth that doesn't have a nickname[b]/[/b]name of endearment?!?! I suggest this woman with too much time on her hand take a look at the link provided and tell me what nation that doesn't have some sort of pet name>>> http://www.associatepublisher.com/e/l/li/list_of_country_nicknames.htm . Countries and cities all over the world have various names to describe either the people that live there or the area.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by osifred(m): 9:02pm On Nov 16, 2010
Dora is not a fool so am sure she think before she speaks atleast.

i think pple are intentionally getting this wrong so as to tarnish the image of one of Africans most outstanding women of this generation.
Naija is not an abbreviation of Nigeria as some people are saying NIG or NG are.

she is saying since it is niether the official name or abbreviated for it should not be use in official activities

yank or yankee, uncle sam etc use to describe America cannot never be seen in official quarters in America.

pls pleople it is nt a must to post in every thread so dont  if u dont have a reasonable thing to post and pls stop abusing the lady as she is old enough to be your mother and some of you can nt achieve better than her even if u find urself in her position 2morow

beside if you trace the origin and general usage of NAIJA u wil know it has sum negative connotation even though now pple r using it in d right direction
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by olaolabiy: 9:07pm On Nov 16, 2010
^^^^
Has she rebranded her name, yet?
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by citee(m): 9:17pm On Nov 16, 2010
We seem to major on the minor and minor on the major in dis country. For the love of God, if I call NIGERIA in full one million times as madam Akunyili will have me do, will it translate into jobs and other social infrastructures which are lacking in d country?
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by BlueMagic2(m): 9:19pm On Nov 16, 2010
NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA! NAIJA!  Well Akunyili! U CAN KISS A@# & GO F%^& URSELF! Do Somethin better 4 naija than be asshole. had so much respect 4 u b4, till u became an information minister. If u aint got S&*t 2 say u can jst shout d F%^K up!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by playmode(m): 9:21pm On Nov 16, 2010
Just goes to show that all our so called leaders who parade their FAKE degrees and PHDs are coconut heads.

The word NAIJA represents Nigeria well.Madam you obviously know nothing about rebranding,you are extremely clueless and a disgrace to the office you hold.Even a 17 year boy will give you simple tips on how to boost Nigeria’s image. Go back to school and this time around learn something ,don't bribe lecturers. Maybe then ,you wont be clueless. D.U.M.B.A.S.S

I pray for the day all these PDP olodos will be swept from power including that gridlock jonathief who claims to have a PHD but can't even speak in fluent english.Zoology my yansh.Was he taught zoology in ishekiri or English language? Bunch of rotten eggs angry
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by OAM4J: 9:21pm On Nov 16, 2010
There is nothing illegal or wrong with using an alias.

Naija 4 life!
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by roymary: 9:21pm On Nov 16, 2010
osifred:

i think pple are intentionally getting this wrong so as to tarnish the image of one of Africans most outstanding women of this generation.
Naija is not an abbreviation of Nigeria as some people are saying NIG or NG are.

she is saying since it is niether the official name or abbreviated for it should not be use in official activities

yank or yankee, uncle sam etc use to describe America cannot never be seen in official quarters in America.

pls pleople it is nt a must to post in every thread so dont  if u dont have a reasonable thing to post and pls stop abusing the lady as she is old enough to be your mother and some of you can nt achieve better than her even if u find urself in her position 2morow

beside if you trace the origin and general usage of NAIJA u wil know it has sum negative connotation even though now pple r using it in d right direction

Sorry to say but you sound like Dora's puppet. If you ignore the numerous craziness going on in this country and you rather focus on a name we all love, then you are sick and should be called a grade A hypocrite.

Dora Akunyili is not better than our Mothers that gave their best without stealing money from government budgets.  

You suck and you are the one that lacks patriotism. The damn government should be glad we still hold on to this country considering all their blunders.

Naija  is our own.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by naijaking1: 9:24pm On Nov 16, 2010
Na wetin be the problem
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by suzzybabe(f): 9:26pm On Nov 16, 2010
shut the Bleep up dora
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by owo2000: 9:34pm On Nov 16, 2010
N-  NIGERIAN
A-  AFRICAN
I    INTERMINGLED
J    JACK-OF-ALL-TRADE, and
A   AMBITIOUS

We are Nigerians from the continent of African, yet intermingled. We are a type of Jack-of-all trades and ambitious.

grin

Lighten up Nigerians!

We are a Great People. We bear within us the capacity to create. All we need is to step out and begin to shine.

Put on excellence as a Robe.
Renew your minds like the Dew of Plateau to the hills of Idanre.

NAIJA for life!
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by owo2000: 9:36pm On Nov 16, 2010
N-  NIGERIAN
A-  AFRICAN
I    INTERMINGLED
A   AMBITIOUS

We are Nigerians from the continent of African, yet intermingled. We are a type of Jack-of-all trades and ambitious.

grin

Lighten up Nigerians!

We are a Great People. We bear within us the capacity to create. All we need is to step out and begin to shine.

NAIJA for life!
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by ikkkkk: 9:54pm On Nov 16, 2010
may be its part of her rebranding excerise.

i think that lady was wrongly placed. She should have been retained in the health sector.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Dgunnerz(m): 10:10pm On Nov 16, 2010
owo2000%:

N-  NIGERIAN
A-  AFRICAN
I    INTERMINGLED
A   AMBITIOUS

grin

Lighten up Nigerians!

NAIJA for life!

Wetin she want again.Naija 4 life joo.
Omo NAIJA ni mi.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by malabite: 10:19pm On Nov 16, 2010

Minister of Information and Communication, Prof. Dora Akunyili, made the remarks while receiving the participants of Heir Apparent Reality Show in her office in Abuja yesterday.

Akunyili, who frowned on the continuous misrepresentation of the country's official name in place of a “corrupt” version, said: "It is very offensive to call Nigeria ‘Naija’. We are making plans to write companies to stop using the word Naija. I have heard that name Naija in adverts. I want them to go back and remove that word.

"If anybody says this is Naija, ask the person, 'Where is Naija?' We have to stop this word because it is catching up with the young. If we don't put a stop to its usage now, it will continue to project us wrongly.”

Did you read the setting under which Dora declared that the used of Naija is derogatory? A social occasion, not an official ministerial bla bla bla. How are you sure she thinks before she speak? She has even warned companies to remove Naija from their adverts. WTF!!

Dear Dora, I wouldn't want you to continue to be an enemy of progress. All I demand is an apology to all the Naija youths who are trying to build and rebrand our country, which your generation demolished. If you refuse to apologize, then with all due respect, I will say you are s.t.u.p.i.d, and idle head, and an enemy of our generation.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by chelseabmw(m): 10:19pm On Nov 16, 2010
lol @ Naija
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Theblessed(f): 10:27pm On Nov 16, 2010
[size=18pt]Can't see any thing wrong with this, at all.

Similar to other societies, the term 'Naija' is socially constructed by this generation and it will remain so until society changes it - no one person can do so.  

But hey we love it, for it is our 'pet/fond' name for our beloved Country.  Everyone has their fond name for something they love/cherish - this is ours and Naija it will remain until---
[/size]
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by chelseabmw(m): 10:32pm On Nov 16, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Me i tire self for that woman
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by mrjingles(m): 10:33pm On Nov 16, 2010
Its official! We now have a court jester as a minister, the official CLOWN PRINCESS herself, minister of disinformation! She should be given a role in PAPA AJASCO and CO. or FUJI HOUSE OF COMMOTION!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

I Want To Go To London… To See Buhari — Reuben Abati / TCN Statement On System Collapse On The National Electricity Grid. / Fuel Scarcity: NNPCL Releases 1.9billion Litres PMS After DSS Ultimatum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.