Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,460 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:55 AM

Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! (24798 Views)

Nigeria Needs To Devaluate Naira, Ease Dollar Restrictions- Sanusi / Nigeria Needs President Buhari As Minister Of Defence, Not Petroleum / Buhari To Split NNPC Into Two…plans Fresh Bid Round For Oil Blocks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by Nobody: 8:11pm On Dec 26, 2010
Katsumoto:

The disintegration of Nigeria will resolve some current problems and issues but I can guarantee you that new ones will replace them in the new republic.

It would be very ignorant of anyone to think that dissolving nigeria would dissolve its probem.
Of course new problems WILL replace the old ones. But it would be within people who actually CHOSE to be under one roof. Not like the current problems we have now with one bokoharam wanting sharia and one nation of whiners screaming marg.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by Nobody: 8:13pm On Dec 26, 2010
ndu_chucks:

I venture to say that the new problems will be exponentially worse than those of the old repubilc.

Why do you think so?

And give us an example of "worse problems".
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by PhysicsQED(m): 8:20pm On Dec 26, 2010
jaygetta:
Adams Oshiomole, Dele Momodu,Seyi Olomu and co are from where? Take a wild guess. . .

There are Yorubas with Oshiomole, Momodu, and Olomu as last names?? (This is a serious question, not rhetorical)

Then as per the Christianity issue. . . Edo state has a very high (if not slight majority) Muslim population. Murtala Ramat Mohammed was an Etsako man, u know?

Are you on crack? Yes there are Muslims where the Nupe raids succeeded but even the Etsako population is not even wholly Muslim. It's doubtful even if more than 50% of Etsako are Muslim even after the Nupe raids. You must not know too many in real life.

To say Edo state has a majority or slight majority Muslim population is pure ignorance.

And Murtala Mohammed was a Hausa-Fulani, maternal ancestry does not determine one's ethnicity in Africa, except for a few obscure locations.

but I tell You, whoever gets the Ijaws as part of its share is in for a very long, rough and frightening ride!

Why has it not occurred to you and the overwhelming majority of posters in this thread that the Ijaws have enough self-respect, many natural resources (not just oil, even!), sea access, and enough ethnic nationalism to form their own country??!! It's so obvious and staring one plainly in the face yet most in this thread are so delusional that they've ignored something so obvious just to pretend the Ijaws want or need their group.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by Musiwa13: 8:26pm On Dec 26, 2010
This is were the Igbos claim they are from. And you can see, there is nothing there apart from asaba.

It was mostly propaganda by biafra. And the truth is Ojukwu had one of the best propaganda system  in war time. it was lead by now a senator in the Nigeria Uncle Uche Chukwumereje.

Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by omongbati3: 8:28pm On Dec 26, 2010
PhysicsQED:

There are Yorubas with Oshiomole, Momodu, and Olomu as last names?? (This is a serious question, not rhetorical)

Are you on crack? Yes there are Muslims where the Nupe raids succeeded but even the Etsako population is not even wholly Muslim. It's doubtful even if more than 50% of Etsako are Muslim even after the Nupe raids. You must not know too many in real life.

To say Edo state has a majority or slight majority Muslim population is pure ignorance.

And Murtala Mohammed was a Hausa-Fulani, maternal ancestry does not determine one's ethnicity in Africa, except for a few obscure locations.

Why has it not occurred to you and the overwhelming majority of posters in this thread that the Ijaws have enough self-respect, many natural resources (not just oil, even!), sea access, and enough ethnic nationalism to form their own country??!! It's so obvious and staring one plainly in the face yet most in this thread are so delusional that they've ignored something so obvious just to pretend the Ijaws want or need their group.

Buahahahah! PhysicsQED throws jaygetta under the bus
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by 9ijaMan: 8:32pm On Dec 26, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

It would be very ignorant of anyone to think that dissolving nigeria would dissolve its probem.
Of course new problems WILL replace the old ones. But it would be within people who actually CHOSE to be under one roof. Not like the current problems we have now with one bokoharam wanting sharia and one nation of whiners screaming marg.  
I agree with you totally. If the country should split, into at least 4 major components just for the sake of exercising ones' brain.

Ogun state (Abeokuta in particular) will want to claim superiority over the rest in the south west. It will be a bloody battle amongst the various Yoruba tribes on who should lead.

The Ijaws will want to claim leadership as their birth right in the South-South and it'll be a constant battle between the Ijaws, Urhobos etc. The various warring episodes (during Obj's era) in Delta state is a good pointer. Do not forget we still have the Efiks and Ibibios at the other end of the south-south.

In the southeast, Anambra/Enugu states will have to slug it out. The fact that the Igbos, till date, are not able to form a united political front is a pointer to this fact that they'll do many battles amongst themselves to figure out which state or sub-tribe will be most dominant.

The region which would most likely survive with the least battle for supremacy and leadership role will be the northerners. However, the constant religious crises remains a major hurdle. The real battle up north will be between the two major religions and less likely to stem from the different tribes.

No one in his right frame of mind will want the country to split up. The various sub-countries will continue to have the same problems we are facing today. We are simply not discussing about the real issue, instead we are busying ourselves with racial/ethnic bigotry.

I really weep for my nation.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by reporter1: 8:35pm On Dec 26, 2010
Katsumoto:

The disintegration of Nigeria will resolve some current problems and issues but I can guarantee you that new ones will replace them in the new republic.

Of course splitting Nigeria will resolve some of today’s issues, but create some initial issues which I believe would be resolved in due time.
We have to agree that Nigeria is not working out –the issues we face are too numerous to list.
If we split along cultural and political line, I think we would be OK.

I am certain that Yoruba nation will fare well. Lagos and Oyo will provide the initial economic backbone of the new nation, Ondo and Ogun will provide initial natural resources while we sort ourselves out. If Edo and Itsekiri join, both will add more to the initial natural resources pool.
The necessary infrastructures are in place.   Schools, roads, hospitals, and etc that are currently over extended because of “others” will now serve only the indigenes of the new state. By “indigenes,” I mean people who constitute the new nation -Yoruba, Edo, Itsekiri, Egun, Ilaje, and etc.
It will be interesting to see.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by sochan: 8:56pm On Dec 26, 2010
Why dont you guys give us reasons why Nigeria should remain one. We are just deceiving ourselves if we think this stupid experiment called Nigeria will ever work, but then again I am happy to be proven wrong.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by Katsumoto: 8:57pm On Dec 26, 2010
reporter?:

Of course splitting Nigeria will resolve some of today’s issues, but create some initial issues which I believe would be resolved in due time.
We have to agree that Nigeria is not working out –the issues we face are too numerous to list.
If we split along cultural and political line, I think we would be OK.

I am certain that Yoruba nation will fare well. Lagos and Oyo will provide the initial economic backbone of the new nation, Ondo and Ogun will provide initial natural resources while we sort ourselves out. If Edo and Itsekiri join, both will add more to the initial natural resources pool.
The necessary infrastructures are in place.   Schools, roads, hospitals, and etc that are currently over extended because of “others” will now serve only the indigenes of the new state. By “indigenes,” I mean people who constitute the new nation -Yoruba, Edo, Itsekiri, Egun, Ilaje, and etc.
It will be interesting to see.

You may be right but without the power to see into the future, one can only conjecture. All I can say is that, without a bottom up approach to changing values and mind-set, the new republics will be beset with problems which may actually be pre-colonial problems. But I agree with you that Nigeria in its current state will not work.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by xterra2(m): 9:01pm On Dec 26, 2010
[size=14pt]
A quick Question:

So if Nigeria splits into two, north and south what about the middle belt and Abuja, who would have the middlebelt and abuja
Andother Palestine and Israel Case-- or not ?
[/size]
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by xterra2(m): 9:03pm On Dec 26, 2010
I use to (and still) tell my friends that Nigeria needs to be split into two, but like me and SOME people here, we dont really know what it is and what would it be like, and we dont actually mean it,
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by Nsiman(m): 9:05pm On Dec 26, 2010
Alj harem1, pls i want only 5 -reasons frm u why nigeria shldn't be split
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by Onlytruth(m): 9:22pm On Dec 26, 2010
Katsumoto said:

When OnlyTruth cannot argue against your points, he attacks your person. There are quite a few posters on this section that use that strategy. The logical thing for him to do was to highlight what he disagreed with and why he disagreed with it.

Well here are some of dayokanu's ignorant posts!
He first displays complete ignorance by discounting the role of Ijaw and Ogoni sons who also fought for Biafra.
Then he assumes that if Nigeria splits, Igbos will remain in Lagos in similar numbers.
Frankly I don't know what the dude is smoking!

dayokanu said:

Udezue, Are you sure Ijaw and Ogoni played roles in favour of Biafra? I thought they were the ones who sabotaged you and Federal troops were only able to get to Biafra because Ijaw and Ogoni folks aided them

Lets do the numbers What would be the total population of Southern Nigeria?  With a State like Lagos alone having a population of over 15million, we can say the SW would almost be half of the whole country population wise,  . .

SW, Enjoy the largest population, thereby would have more resources allocated to them, Unlike the current Hausas they have intellectually sound people that can match any part of Africa, So its easy to get a whole cabinet and key positions dominated by Yorubas (Without Federal character). In 20yrs time, wont we be back to this same spot of other ethnic groups being disgruntled and want to break?

dayokanu and his brother Katsumoto, hear this loud and clear.

There are other Eastern port cities that need to be developed, so Lagos is not our only choice port in Southern Nigeria.
If Nigeria splits, even if on N/S basis, Igbos will move in LARGE numbers to the East.
If they are to remain in Lagos, then it must have been under an arrangement that nullifies the geopolitical zones. So the issue of SW will be effectively MUTE. Lagos will be for ALL Lagosians, NOT Yoruba majority. As at today, Igbo make up about 35 -40% of Lagos population. So how do you get your figures?

Like I said before, I don't see any southern group forming a nation with Yoruba. Never mind all these talks here.
The history of Nigeria is enough lesson for everybody.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by Onlytruth(m): 9:34pm On Dec 26, 2010
I came to my conclusions, because when the sh!4T hit the fan, it will all boil down to negotiations. In the negotiations, everything will be on the table -citizen rights, natural resources, human resources, environmental/ natural disasters including land and sea erosions, dreams and aspirations, cultural values, religious issues, language survival/issues,
and political history of the various groups.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by Katsumoto: 9:38pm On Dec 26, 2010
Onlytruth:

Katsumoto said:

Well here are some of dayokanu's ignorant posts!
He first displays complete ignorance by discounting the role of Ijaw and Ogoni sons who also fought for Biafra.
Then he assumes that if Nigeria splits, Igbos will remain in Lagos in similar numbers.
Frankly I don't know what the dude is smoking!

dayokanu said:

dayokanu and his brother Katsumoto, hear this loud and clear.

There are other Eastern port cities that need to be developed, so Lagos is not our only choice port in Southern Nigeria.
If Nigeria splits, even if on N/S basis, Igbos will move in LARGE numbers to the East.
If they are to remain in Lagos, then it must have been under an arrangement that nullifies the geopolitical zones. So the issue of SW will be effectively MUTE. Lagos will be for ALL Lagosians, NOT Yoruba majority. As at today, Igbo make up about 35 -40% of Lagos population. So how do you get your figures?

Like I said before, I don't see any southern group forming a nation with Yoruba. Never mind all these talks here.
The history of Nigeria is enough lesson for everybody.

This is what you should have done in the first place rather than allude to all his posts as ignorant. Also, in case you missed it, you agree with some of his points. How did you get your own figures about Igbos in Lagos as well?

What stops the Igbo moving back East now? With the allocation that goes to the states in the East, can the governors there not develop PH or any other port? Why do you continue to conjecture on imaginary positions when there currently exists reasons that counter such conjecture? Must you wait on the federal govt to do everything?

Key question
Why do Igbos remain in large numbers in Lagos despite having the ability and means (as alluded to by you and other Igbos) to develop the infrastructure in the East?
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by Nobody: 9:45pm On Dec 26, 2010
SPLIT NIGERIA FOR WHAT ? angry
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by Onlytruth(m): 9:50pm On Dec 26, 2010
Katsumoto:

This is what you should have done in the first place rather than allude to all his posts as ignorant. Also, in case you missed it, you agree with some of his points. How did you get your own figures about Igbos in Lagos as well?

What stops the Igbo moving back East now? With the allocation that goes to the states in the East, can the governors there not develop PH or any other port? Why do you continue to conjecture on imaginary positions when there currently exists reasons that counter such conjecture? Must you wait on the federal govt to do everything?

Key question
Why do Igbos remain in large numbers in Lagos despite having the ability and means (as alluded to by you and other Igbos) to develop the infrastructure in the East?

Nigeria as a country is what is stopping the Igbos. Let me explain quickly.

The Igbos are also in Abuja in similar numbers for the same reasons. Imagine for once that Nigeria is gone and with it the federal resources that sustain such places (FG still spend money in Lagos in big numbers due to many federal presence there), Lagos will immediately lose its favor, especially when Port Harcourt and Calabar will no longer be sabotaged by the FG. They would become FULL ports. Why should Igbo remain in Lagos? Also, Ohanaeze would OPENLY ask Igbos to return home to build it.

Now, all these are assuming that the negotiation for a Southern Nigeria fell through. Example, Yoruba insisting on Lagos being Yoruba instead of a multi-ethnic city - the likeliest scenario. Igbos will move to the East to develop it.
With all the international access we need through Port Harcourt and Calabar and Enugu international airports, we don't need Lagos.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by OchiAgha2(m): 9:50pm On Dec 26, 2010
Where 2 or 3 igbo men are gathered, negotiation are involved! Even the 3 wise men were from the east!  grin
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by lagbaja20: 9:53pm On Dec 26, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

Where 2 or 3 igbo men are gathered, negotiation is involved! Even the 3 wise men were from the east! grin

And whenever negotiation fails, kidnapping ensues! Even Osisikankwu was from the East
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by Nobody: 9:54pm On Dec 26, 2010
lagbaja20:

And whenever negotiation fails, kidnapping ensues! Even Osisikankwu was from the East
grin grin grin grin kiss
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by OchiAgha2(m): 9:55pm On Dec 26, 2010
The only split I would accept for Nigeria is between North and South. Say what you like or dislike about the rivalry between Igbo and Yorubas, but the fact is, many Igbos are comfortable with Yoruba and vice versa for goodness sake. It is just on Nairaland, that people pretend to hate each other.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by Katsumoto: 9:58pm On Dec 26, 2010
Onlytruth:

Nigeria as a country is what is stopping the Igbos. Let me explain quickly.

The Igbos are also in Abuja in similar numbers for the same reasons. Imagine for once that Nigeria is gone and with it the federal resources that sustain such places (FG still spend money in Lagos in big numbers due to many federal presence there), Lagos will immediately lose its favor, especially when Port Harcourt and Calabar will no longer be sabotaged by the FG. They would become FULL ports. Why should Igbo remain in Lagos? Also, Ohanaeze would OPENLY ask Igbos to return home to build it.

Now, all these are assuming that the negotiation for a Southern Nigeria fell through. Example, Yoruba insisting on Lagos being Yoruba instead of a multi-ethnic city - the likeliest scenario. Igbos will move to the East to develop it.
With all the international access we need through Port Harcourt and Calabar and Enugu international airports, we don't need Lagos.

You are conjecturing and also posting factually inaccurate information.

What federal presence is still in Lagos that isn't in other states? Nigeria is stopping Igbos but assisting the rest of Nigeria!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You must be having a laugh. This is the problem with some Igbo people; you blame everyone but yourselves. Your governors receive allocation from the govet like every other state but yet you posit that the govt is holding the Igbo back.

You keep sidestepping the key question, 'what stops Eastern governors from developing the infrastructure in the East to attract Igbos back to the East?'

BTW, nothing in my posts suggests that Western governors are performing.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by Onlytruth(m): 9:59pm On Dec 26, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

The only split I would accept for Nigeria is between North and South. Say what you like or dislike about the rivalry between Igbo and Yorubas, but the fact is, many Igbos are comfortable with Yoruba and vice versa for goodness sake. It is just on Nairaland, that people pretend to hate each other.

I don't really think it is a matter of love or hate. It is more about tribalism and what people do with it.

For instance, an Igbo person will not care whether super eagles is 100% Yoruba, provided they dominate Africa and world football.
A Yoruba will struggle to accept the same thing by Igbo or any other tribe in Nigeria. They are part of the architects of federal character in Nigeria. I read a comment by a Yoruba reader about Siasia's choice for super eagles team , which is dominated by Igbo players. He was very bitter. undecided

So, you see? It goes much further.
Only Eastern and delta groups don't care much about tribes in appointments, provided they are based on merit.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by Onlytruth(m): 10:05pm On Dec 26, 2010
Katsumoto:

You are conjecturing and also posting factually inaccurate information.

What federal presence is still in Lagos that isn't in other states? Nigeria is stopping Igbos but assisting the rest of Nigeria!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You must be having a laugh. This is the problem with some Igbo people; you blame everyone but yourselves. Your governors receive allocation from the govet like every other state but yet you posit that the govt is holding the Igbo back.

You keep sidestepping the key question, 'what stops Eastern governors from developing the infrastructure in the East to attract Igbos back to the East?'

BTW, nothing in my posts suggests that Western governors are performing.

There are still embassies, sea/airports, and federal authorities operating from Lagos. I am not talking about infrastructure. I'm talking about things that make international trade possible. They are NOT in the East. But that will change after a split.

We can build all other infrastructure once we move our business eastwards.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by sochan: 10:11pm On Dec 26, 2010
@OnlyTruth, I agree with you.

@Ochi Agha, a North South divide is our best option. There is a fundamental difference between the North and the South
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by invisible2(m): 10:48pm On Dec 26, 2010
Five countries, namely
1. Housa fulani
2. middle belt, kogi, benue, edo and yes, delta (for the sea access) a true minorities world.
3. Yoruba
4. Ibo and some part of rivers (for the access to sea)
5. other parts of rivers, bayelsa, cross river, akwa ibom and a few christian towns from nassarawa,
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by OchiAgha2(m): 10:51pm On Dec 26, 2010
As long as Igwe Ocha (Port Harcourt) remains in Igbo hands, I do not care what happens. Enugu, Port Harcourt and Umuahia (Hometown) and maybe Owerri will be my base.
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by lagbaja20: 10:53pm On Dec 26, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

As long as Igwe Ocha (Port Harcourt) remains in Igbo hands, I do not care what happens. Enugu, Port Harcourt and Umuahia (Hometown) will be my base.

PH is Igbo again?

I thought London was the Igwe Ocha? No?
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by OchiAgha2(m): 10:55pm On Dec 26, 2010
lagbaja20:

PH is Igbo again?

I thought London was the Igwe Ocha? No?

What did I tell you about talking to me? Is that so hard for you to understand? Or should I say it in broken English?
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by GAR3TH(m): 10:56pm On Dec 26, 2010
you guys can keep talking. . .but can anyone give me one good reason why nigeria should split?
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by OchiAgha2(m): 10:57pm On Dec 26, 2010
GAR3TH:

you guys can keep talking. . .but can anyone give me one good reason why nigeria should split?

And can you give us one good reason why Nigeria shouldn't split? Nigeria is a failure. Has much changed since the days of Awolowo, Ahmadu Bello or Nnamdi Azikiwe?
Re: Nigeria Needs To Split Urgently! by Nobody: 10:59pm On Dec 26, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

And can you give us one good reason why Nigeria should split? Nigeria is a failure. Has much changed since the days of Awolowo, Ahmadu Bello or Nnamdi Azikiwe?

What a question.

Things have certainly changed, changed for the worst. Even while one of Nigeria's heroes WAS still alive.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20)

Atiku Abubakar And His 26 Children / Nigeria Belongs To All Of Us, Our Diversity Is An Asset - President Tinubu / DSS & Soldiers Raid Eziuche Ubani's Home, Driver Beaten

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.