Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,635 members, 7,813,097 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:56 AM

Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company (18518 Views)

Lagos To Ban ‘danfo’ Buses From Passing Broad Street And Apongbon / Subsidy: Labour Gets 600 Buses From Fg / Joy As Enugu Receives 30 Luxury Buses From Innoson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by alex101(m): 5:31am On Feb 22, 2011
Kobojunkie:

If this is not a lazy way of winning an argument one ought instead to spend time actually convincing people of one's side, I don't know what else qualifies at this point.  

I was not arguing with anyone in the 1st place, let alone trying to win one . I was only referencing the case of nigeria having too many lazy people in govt, who rely too much on oil. It is this easy oil money that "kills" other viable cash option for the country.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ekubear1: 5:32am On Feb 22, 2011
alex101:

Seriously Eku, when do you think nigeria should try its hand at manufacturing automobile?
I don't care, personally. The question for me is not, "when should Nigeria manufacture X", but "which is the most profitable good for Nigeria to be producing"? It might turn out that we are better equipped to focus on thoroughly dominating the West African tire market. I'd much rather find a good niche and be dominant at it (i.e., produce at the best prices in my region), than fake glory projects like manufacturing cars (at uncompetitve prices)  undecided

Also, are you 100% sure the locally made one is more expensive than the foreign (china) made one?
For the specific vehicle he drove at the time, yes. I cannot remember the specifics though.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Onlytruth(m): 5:33am On Feb 22, 2011
I think I've made my points clear enough. Gotta go. cool
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ekubear1: 5:34am On Feb 22, 2011
I notice that you carefully never answered the question about your use of a local laptop undecided
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Chyz2: 5:35am On Feb 22, 2011
Clearly Goodluck Jonathan knows nothing about economics. Not surprising because I'm pretty sure economics is not part of the curriculum for zoology. Can't blame the economic advisor,if any, because I'm sure he/she was a carpenter or a wrestler before they were given the position.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ekubear1: 5:39am On Feb 22, 2011
Onlytruth:

I believe that we've had 50 years for us to generate electricity, but failed to do so.
Therefore waiting for that before we start manufacturing is not a good idea. In fact I believe that we should start manufacturing everything TODAY because in the process we will develop the technical skill set to defeat the power monster.
You see my point?
No. They are two separate issues. Starting a bunch of manufacturing projects doesn't mean you'll solve power. I think you'd compound the problem, make it worse with your subsidy approach. I think you need to take a look at how much electricity costs in Nigeria versus elsewhere and see how it absolutely has to be fixed first. . . you cannot skip this step.

As for the computer, Zinox is the top Nigerian brand the last time I checked; they produce everything from laptops to servers.
That doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of computer brands here, but generally only a few names who give the best prices. Lots of whack small guys who have a full product line, but charge too much for what they provide. I'd certainly not patronize such a businessman just because he is my neighbor. . . I'll instead buy parts from newegg.com or something.

I AM A CAPITALIST TOO.  cool

However, I am an American brand of capitalist. No strategic industry develops without government support (grants and patronage).
We subsidize farming, and spent lots of money on defense research. But I don't think the bulk of industry here is subsidized. Manufacturing for the most part is not.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by seanet02: 5:40am On Feb 22, 2011
Onlytruth:

Are the foreign elements also influencing youths like Eku_bear?

Would Eku_bear take the same position if those automobile factories are in Lagos or Ogun State?

What baffles me more is that, these types of youths even fail to see that if ANNAMCO or INNOSON fails, no one will attempt to start similar company in ANY part of Nigeria.
Their failure is Nigeria's failure. cool undecided cool

@ Eku_bear,

Nigeria has been producing car parts for YEARS.

When are we going to start producing complete cars?
must you bring ethnicity into every discussion? To be sincere the Federal Government is a bunch of rogues, i have been privy to go onboard one of the products of Innoson or and i was really dumbfounded!! I actually did not believe it was such a good bus until i boarded it, it was simply as ok as any foreign bus. To be sincere i dont think it can be beaten by any foreign version, i actually enjoyed my ride, though i dont know if it is more costly than the foreign ones, but the problem is this useless Federal Government, the same way they killed Leyland Motors of Ibadan which at a time was already exporting Nigerian Trucks to West african countries is the same way they killed volkswagen plant at Lagos, this are good companies with quality products yet the Federal government allowed them to be wiped off the Automobile Industry involuntarily, Only God can save this country if there is any hope for it at all.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Kobojunkie: 5:41am On Feb 22, 2011
alex101:

I was not arguing with anyone in the 1st place, let alone trying to win one . I was only referencing the case of nigeria having too many lazy people in govt, who rely too much on oil. It is this easy oil money that "kills" other viable cash option for the country.

Relying on Oil money is NO reason to buy possibly lower quality items in the name of promoting Local Ingenuity. I remember reading about how INEC purchased thousands of Zinox units, only years after the company went into business but ended up unable to use many of the units due to one issue or another. We need to be realistic with our expectations.

My uncle talks of how they still have rooms filled with some of those old Zinox units from the first INEC purchase of machines from Zinox
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Tunmi(f): 5:43am On Feb 22, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I believe Quality is the issue . .  . We are still recovering from the INEC DDC-Machine situation as a nation, and from that we must have learnt that it in our best interest to pay for QUALITY at this time as we cannot afford anything less YET. If you can show that machines made in Nigeria are of equal or better quality than their Chinese made counterparts at this time, please do. Else, let's do away with the BLIND patriotism bull and be realistic.

Key word "quality"
Thanks for mentioning the DDC machines. The buses are for public use. I'd rather have a functioning bus that is sure to last some years than one that may break down in months all due to patriotism. When Nigeria has its own manufacturing industry then it can pose a challenge. For now, quality goes.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by alex101(m): 5:43am On Feb 22, 2011
eku_bear:

I don't care, personally. The question for me is not, "when should Nigeria manufacture X", but "which is the most profitable good for Nigeria to be producing"? It might turn out that we are better equipped to focus on thoroughly dominating the West African tire market. I'd much rather find a good niche and be dominant at it (i.e., produce at the best prices in my region), than fake glory projects like manufacturing cars (at uncompetitve prices)  undecided
For the specific vehicle he drove at the time, yes. I cannot remember the specifics though.

@ the bolded, you crack me up grin You and I know there are tones of white elephant projects embarked on by politicians in nigeria. This one is not one of them though, as it is by an individual who is business savvy cool
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ekubear1: 5:46am On Feb 22, 2011
alex101:

@ the bolded, you crack me up grin You and I know there are tones of white elephant projects embarked on by politicians in nigeria. This one is not one of them though, as it is by an individual who is business savvy cool

How business savvy can he be that he is manufacturing cars in a country with no electricity?  undecided

Anyway, we know how much the chinese bus costs. How much would the ANNAMCO or INNOSON ones cost? We can then compare and judge the FG's decision.

Finally, I'm pretty virulently against white elephant projects. . . so you are preaching to the choir
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by fstranger3(m): 5:48am On Feb 22, 2011
Tunmi:

Key word "quality"
Thanks for mentioning the DDC machines. The buses are for public use. I'd rather have a functioning bus that is sure to last some years than one that may break down in months all due to patriotism. When Nigeria has its own manufacturing industry then it can pose a challenge. For now, quality goes.

How would we know if we dont give them a chance to prove the quality of the home made ones, yes,at the risk of losing lives. Until we as a nation start taking risks, we will never know how good we are or how great we could become.

Yes, phucc quality, YAY to patriotism.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by saintneo(m): 5:50am On Feb 22, 2011
A NATION OF FOOLS AND TRIBALISTS! angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

A NATION OF FOOLS AND TRIBALISTS! angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by alex101(m): 5:52am On Feb 22, 2011
eku_bear:

How business savvy can he be that he is manufacturing cars in a country with no electricity?  undecided

Anyway, we know how much the chinese bus costs. How much would the ANNAMCO or INNOSON ones cost? We can then compare and judge the FG's decision.

Finally, I'm pretty virulently against white elephant projects. . . so you are preaching to the choir
Let me get this straight, you are against manufacturing things like autos in nigeria until nigeria fix electricity?

If the answer to the above is YES, then nigeria is a mirage then, or not?
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by fstranger3(m): 5:52am On Feb 22, 2011
eku_bear:

How business savvy can he be that he is manufacturing cars in a country with no electricity?  undecided

They can generate their own local electricity. How come Nigerian Universities, Asorock, State Houses, and important institutions have 24 hrs electricity? It can be done.

How?
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Kobojunkie: 5:53am On Feb 22, 2011
Tunmi:

Key word "quality"

I agree. We need Quality NOW, you cannot build a nation by purchasing low quality -- and this is not to shoot down any company out there trying to make it in the market. Every company has to prove it's worth and at this time, if what the company cannot yet provide us with what we need -- high quality, then it is not against it to keep at it until it gets it's product were we need it first.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Nobody: 5:58am On Feb 22, 2011
alj harem said:

no, i mean when groups are been colonized and ruled by the people that colonized them

just days ago, IMF told nigeria to devalue her money

why can't they say that to UK or EU,., why nigeria

i remember when OBJ wanted to do electricity,., he went to the world bank to borrow money

getting there he was told to will be given the money but he has to buy the turbines from USA or UK ,., if not,.,. NO borrowing

meanwhile it is this world bank that the UK and USA control,.,,. do you see

Are you sure they didn't supply OBJ substandard turbines/eqpt which they knew would not work?

OBJ then takes the blame for spending x and x billions on power ''with nothing to show for it''.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ekubear1: 5:59am On Feb 22, 2011
alex101:

Let me get this straight, you are against manufacturing things like autos in nigeria until nigeria fix electricity?

If the answer to the above is YES, then nigeria is a mirage then, or not?
See response below.
fstranger3:

They can generate their own local electricity. How come Nigerian Universities, Asorock, State Houses, and important institutions have 24 hrs electricity?  It can be done.

How?
Depends on what source they use, right? If electricity from a gasoline gen, then $0.30+ per kWh. Paying this much for your electricity to manufacture cars, when the Chinese pay $0.10 or $0.15 per kWh. . . your goods will cost a lot more.

I'm not against manufacturing in nigeria, but I want us to be able to do it at competitive prices. . . which means fixing electricity in nigeria.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by EzeUche2(m): 6:00am On Feb 22, 2011
We need to support our local industries. Bad move I must say. Instead, we should be focusing protecting our industries of allowing of all people, the Chinese to sell their crappy products to us.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by seanet02: 6:02am On Feb 22, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Relying on Oil money is NO reason to buy possibly lower quality items in the name of promoting Local Ingenuity. I remember reading about how INEC purchased thousands of Zinox units, only years after the company went into business but ended up unable to use many of the units due to one issue or another. We need to be realistic with our expectations.

My uncle talks of how they still have rooms filled with some of those old Zinox units from the first INEC purchase of machines from Zinox

Arrant Nonsense!! If the government/citizens does not patronize locally made products, how do you expect them to finetune their products to meet international standards? It is buy patronizing locally made products that the companies involved can work on areas of complaints and finetune their products. Do you expect Ghana people to test your products for you? If the government is actually sincere about promoting local products, it should led by example and patronize this automobile companies, if you are talking of locally made products as being costly, is our government not the main root of the problem, in a country where goverment can not provide basic infrastructures like good road, electricity, railway and others. Imagine if our steel project at Ajaokuta in kogi state has been functional, will this people need to import steel from far away germany which invariably leads to high overhead cost? This country is bullshytt,
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ekubear1: 6:05am On Feb 22, 2011
Long story short, we all want manufacturing in Nigeria to succeed. I'm advocating attacking the problem by reducing the costs of the manufacturer (with electricity being the primary input). Ya'll I guess have a different approach in mind.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by fstranger3(m): 6:10am On Feb 22, 2011
eku_bear:

See response below.Depends on what source they use, right? If electricity from a gasoline gen, then $0.30+ per kWh. Paying this much for your electricity to manufacture cars, when the Chinese pay $0.10 or $0.15 per kWh. . . your goods will cost a lot more.

I'm not against manufacturing in nigeria, but I want us to be able to do it at competitive prices. . . which means fixing electricity in nigeria.

Are we here talking about the Chinese making it and assembling it in China, shipping only finished goods to Nigeria?  What about shipping cost, import tax, inflation and the lack of understanding of the local market and needs which in turn would make adaptation to local demands and changes in local needs a lil more tasking and the Chinese being a savvy cohort would definitely want to charge more for every additional sweat they put creating goods to fit our local demand.

Adding those extra charges to the car would make the imported cars cost a lot more than the locally produced cars. Seriously, I am all for boosting our local economy at the expense of any foreign intrusion into our markets.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by onyengbu1(m): 6:11am On Feb 22, 2011
You guys are working on assumptions.
@Eku bear,
have you confirmed that chinese made autos costs less?

@kobo,
chinese products made for Nigerian use have never been of higher quality than well made nigerian products.
Ask electricians and engineers that handle electrical contracts.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by fstranger3(m): 6:15am On Feb 22, 2011
^^^

Dont mind Kobo, she types atimes without reasoning.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Kobojunkie: 6:17am On Feb 22, 2011
onye_ngbu:

@kobo,
chinese products made for Nigerian use have never been of higher quality than well made nigerian products.
Ask electricians and engineers that handle electrical contracts.

Are you suggesting then that these particular buses are of lower quality than currently made Nigerian buses?? I would not know why our government would not require that the products to be shipped, be of the same quality as products shipped from same company to other developed nations.  
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by EzeUche2(m): 6:18am On Feb 22, 2011
Chinese goods are crap. Africa is just a dumping ground for defective Chinese products that cannot be shipped to the U.S. I rather have an African made product, than a Chinese made product.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ekubear1: 6:19am On Feb 22, 2011
@ftranger and @onye: I calculated the cost of the Chinese buses above. I guess we'd need someone from ANNAMCO/INNOSON to say how much they could price it for.

You are right, i'm making an assumption that the Chinese are able to do it for far cheaper. But there is a chance I'm wrong. Not clear until we see the prices.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ekubear1: 6:21am On Feb 22, 2011
EzeUche_:

Chinese goods are crap. Africa is just a dumping ground for defective Chinese products that cannot be shipped to the U.S. I rather have an African made product, than a Chinese made product.

In your house in Nigeria, what brand are the computers? And where were they made?
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Kobojunkie: 6:21am On Feb 22, 2011
I see it is the "throw the chinese under the bus to win the argument" moment . . .  ugh! Most everything we own is made by the Chinese these days . . . Does this attitude really help anyone??
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by fstranger3(m): 6:24am On Feb 22, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Are you suggesting then that these particular buses are of lower quality than currently made Nigerian buses?? I would not know why our government would not require that the products to be shipped, be of the same quality as products shipped from same company to other developed nations.  

Corruption.

So are you now tacitly supporting the decision of the same federal government your penchant for  deriding is well established here on NL?.    .     .  talk about shifting the goal post one more time.

You just love to argue, dont you?
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by EzeUche2(m): 6:26am On Feb 22, 2011
eku_bear:

In your house in Nigeria, what brand are the computers? And where were they made?
Kobojunkie:

I see it is the "throw the chinese under the bus to win the argument" moment . . .  ugh! Most everything we own is made by the Chinese these days . . . Does this attitude really help anyone??

I prefer made in Japan. It is better quality I must say. cool
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Kobojunkie: 6:28am On Feb 22, 2011
EzeUche_:

I prefer made in Japan. It is better quality I must say. cool

Would you then be more willing the Government purchase the buses from Japan then?

I buy Made in China, and I have sent made in China goods to Nigeria. They are the same quality you would get here and nothing less. So far, I have no complaints.

Honestly, this is not about China but about the fact that I do not believe the quality of our made in Nigeria is nowhere near that of what I am used to(made in china). If anyone has information stating that that the made in Nigeria cars have been shown to be of equal or better quality than imports, then please present it so you can change minds here.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Military Has Decimated Boko Haram - Air Force Boss / Kaduna Government Officially Labels Shiite IMN "Insurgent" / 2018 Ekiti Governorship Election: Fayose Launches Political Movement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.