Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,648 members, 7,813,184 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:21 AM

Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company (18519 Views)

Lagos To Ban ‘danfo’ Buses From Passing Broad Street And Apongbon / Subsidy: Labour Gets 600 Buses From Fg / Joy As Enugu Receives 30 Luxury Buses From Innoson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Justcash(m): 4:47am On Feb 24, 2011
eku_bear:

See the thing is, when one has to jump to racism/bigotry as the first explanation, it suggests poor reasoning. We still have not seen a price quote from INNOSON or this other company. Almost certainly, the bus costs more from them than the Chinese company (for obvious reasons.)

At that point, it isn't "despise products that are made in Nnewi", but another businessman saying, "Damn, why should I pay more for this locally made item when I can get it cheaper abroad?"

So what does all this tribalism stuff that you brought up have to do with anything? Should we point a gun at anyone's head and say he MUST buy the more expensive product?

Why not instead attack the problem of making the locally produced goods CHEAPER? Help the local businessman by fixing electricity. Maybe by providing healthcare benefits for his employees. Tax holidays. Subsidize fuel for him. Whatever. There are so many ways to attack the problem. We can debate the relative merits of each.

But instead of having such a debate, ya'll are just whining and crying, especially OnlyTruth's bleatings about the international community.

[b]1. BY THE TIME THOSE BUSES ARRIVE IN NIGERIA, THEY WILL BE 5 TIMES MORE EXPENSIVE THAN INNOSON'S BUSES.
2. IF INNOSON HAS DEFIED ALL THE ODDS, AND IS PRODUCING NIGERIAN MADE CARS, WHAT IS STOPPING THE FG FROM HELPING TO PROTECT THEM FROM FAILURE?
3. WE CRY ABOUT LACK OF JOBS, WHY CAN'T FG USE ONE STONE TO KILL 20 BIRDS BY STIMULATING EMPLOYMENT THROUGH ENCOURAGING MORE AUTO MANUFACTURERS TO SPRING UP. DEFINITELY THEY WOULD SPRING UP IF INNOSON BECOMES SUCCESSFUL.
4. WHY NOT ALSO USE THE CRAZE FOR IMPORTED CARS TO CREATE A SOURCE OF NATIONAL INCOME, WHILE ENCOURAGING LOCAL MANUFACTURING AND FDI?
5. LOCAL AUTO MANUFACTURERS CAN ONLY GROW AND PRODUCE BETTER PRODUCTS IF THEY ARE ENCOURAGED AND SUPPORTED. FOR EXAMPLE, IF INNOSON CANNOT EMPLOY  INTERNATIONALLY RENOWNED TOTAL QUALITY MANAGERS(TQM) NOW, HE CAN DO IT IN FUTURE WITH MORE PROFITABILITY AND URGE FOR CUSTOMER SATISFACTION.

THE WAY THINGS ARE GOING, IF THE FEW AUTO MANUFACTURERS IN PLACE FOLDS UP, INVESTORS WILL NOT DARE TO INVEST IN THAT SECTOR. OFCOURSE BUSINESS IS DONE WITH CASE STUDIES AND SCENARIOS.

.[/b]
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ekubear1: 4:48am On Feb 24, 2011
naijaking1:

I agree on the electricity issue.
I think the electricity production of Nigeria is less than that of the city of Houston. Something horrific like that. So why anyone is trying to do any sort of HEAVY manufacturing w/o first facing this problem is beyond me. Like, electricity very well may be 20% of the cost of a vehicle. I don't know the #s off the top of my head. But it is significant.

You've got to look at the big picture and that's where government planners are supposed to come in.
Even if it cost 4X to buy the vehicle from say a plant in Nnewi, Kano, or Ibadan today; and 1/2X to buy it from China, you will notice that on the long run the cost of maintaining a unit of those buses in Nigeria for say a period of 10 years will be more than 10X considering spare parts, services, and raw materials.
If the difference is 1.1X or 1.2X versus X, I probably buy locally (or at least, if I'm a rich government looking to spur the industry.) But somehow I doubt that is the cost differential.

Why do you sensible goverments impose import duties so that they could level the cost of certain items i,ported vs those produced locally?
Import duties are a useful tool. That is a reasonable way to spur local production. It helped Nigeria's agricultural production a lot. But import duties will not help for car production until one first faces electricity. Simple as that. We are simply too far away from competitiveness in producing cars w/o electricity.

If it has nothing to do with blind ethnicsm, what's the source of these disputes: poor understanding of basic international trade?
Let's be clear, I'm not the one who introduced ethnicity to this thread. Read through it and you can see that others did, not me.

Anyway, protectionism IS a very interesting topic to discuss. I've spent lots of time discussing the issue on other internet political forums, etc. But once you start throwing around accusations of bigotry, etc. . . it becomes a bit annoying.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:50am On Feb 24, 2011
"The plant, Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Company Limited (INNOVEMCO), will represent a breakthrough of sorts in the quest to transfer the technology of advanced auto industries and adapt it to suit the local needs. Hence, apart from the engines, axles and other precision parts, all other components will be sourced locally. Remarkably, the vehicles will not bear the monogram of the technical partners; or that of any popular brand, but will bear the name of the manufacturer – ‘Innoson’.

When Daily Sun visited the site (which is about the size of five football pitches) a welter of construction activities was going on as both Nigerian workers and a couple of Chinese expatriates laboured to complete the erection of structures, having accomplished the installation of the integrated body finishing line, featuring the very modern electrophoresis coating system and spray chambers.
Other segments of the assembly plant will soon be installed, confirmed Chief Chukwuma, who is the chairman of the Innoson Group of Companies. Next is the arrival of the other sets of equipment, their installation and test-running of the plant.

“The rest of the equipment are on the way. In a few months, I will be through with building the plant, and after that, production will start”, Chukwuma disclosed.

Vehicle models, plant capacity.
When Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Company commences production, the initial run is expected to be about 20 buses a day. This will be followed by mini trucks and other products that the market demands. “We want to start with buses. After buses, we will be producing according to the demand of Nigerians”, the Innoson chairman remarked, stressing that the concept is to make for the market vehicles that would be so competitively priced that tokunbo (imported second-hand automobiles) would be very unattractive.

Among other ‘secrets’ that will interplay to make this possible, Innoson plans to produce some of the local components in-house, while some others will be sourced elsewhere in the country, an option which will reduce the cost of production.
This will culminate in the vehicles selling well below N1million per unit; if everything goes according to his plan, as low as N800, 000. The products are also expected to trickle to the sub-regional (West African) market in the spirit of ECOWAS."

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/motoring/2008/may/23/motoring-23-05-2008-001.htm
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Kobojunkie: 4:55am On Feb 24, 2011
^^^ That story is from two years ago. How has the company done in the 2 years(assuming it started back in 2008) of doing business? Any non-biased reviews? Any real numbers on it's performance? Have an independent group confirmed the company is where it needs to be quality wise?
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:57am On Feb 24, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ That story is from two years ago. How has the company done in the 2 years(assuming it started back in 2008) of doing business? Any non-biased reviews? Any real numbers on it's performance? Have an independent group confirmed the company is where it needs to be quality wise?

I couldn't find anything from their website.

@ the bold, not to my knowledge, but everyone has said the buses are of good quality and there is no reason to doubt that.

"Known formerly as Easter Plastics and owned by the old Anambra State government, the company was at the time of the acquisition by Innoson, derelict with obslete machinery. Chukwuma later reequipped the factory with modern machines and tools and transformed it into the biggest plastics company in Nigeria with products widely acclaimed to be among the best in the market. Presently, the company makes more than 60 plastics products with the list expanding every day.

Satisfied by the quality of the company's products, in 2008, the Standard Organisation of Nigeria (SON), at an elaborate event in its factory in Emene, presented the company with a MANCAP quality certificate after rigorous tests on some of its lines of products including the internationally acclaimed Innoson plastic chairs.

Innoson Group is bound to grow further when the General Tyres and Tubes Limited also located in Emene Industrial Layout, Enugu comes on stream in no distant future. When completed, the tyre factory will have the capacity to meet the nations motorcycle and motor tyres and tube needs. The company is being established in partnership with other Nigerian investors and Chinese technical partners. With this and other companies in the pipeline, Innoson has continued to grow into the country's formidable industrial giant with the presence in various vital productive sectors of the economy and affecting the lives of families across the country in various ways."

The only thing they had tested and approved were their plastics, as far as I can tell.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201005240688.html?viewall=1
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ekubear1: 4:58am On Feb 24, 2011
Justcash:

[b]1. BY THE TIME THOSE BUSES ARRIVE IN NIGERIA, THEY WILL BE 5 TIMES MORE EXPENSIVE THAN INNOSON'S BUSES.
What is your reasoning for saying this? I calculated the cost of the buses earlier in the thread. $67K or so, iirc. What is Innoson's price, and why would the price balloon to 5X of that?

2. IF INNOSON HAS DEFIED ALL THE ODDS, AND IS PRODUCING NIGERIAN MADE CARS, WHAT IS STOPPING THE FG FROM HELPING TO PROTECT IT FROM FAILURE?
So my question for you is this. How much are you willing to overpay for the gov't to support Innoson? 1.1X? 2X? 5X? Everyone has a different price point. What is yours? Me, 1.1 or 1.2X is the most I'm willing to pay.

3. WE CRY ABOUT LACK OF JOBS, WHY CAN'T FG USE ONE STONE TO KILL 20 BIRDS BY STIMULATING EMPLOYMENT THROUGH ENCOURAGING MORE AUTO MANUFACTURERS TO SPRING UP. DEFINITELY THEY WOULD SPRING UP IF INNOSON BECOMES SUCCESSFUL.
4. WHY NOT ALSO USE THE CRAZE FOR IMPORTED CARS TO CREATE A SOURCE OF NATIONAL INCOME, WHILE ENCOURAGING LOCAL MANUFACTURING AND FDI?
5. LOCAL AUTO MANUFACTURERS CAN ONLY GROW AND PRODUCE BETTER PRODUCTS IF THEY ARE ENCOURAGED AND SUPPORTED. FOR EXAMPLE, IF INNOSON CANNOT EMPLOY  INTERNATIONALLY RENOWNED TOTAL QUALITY MANAGEMERS(TQM) NOW, HE CAN DO IT IN FUTURE WITH MORE PROFITABILITY AND UURGE FOR CUSTOMER SATISFACTION.
I don't think anyone is against creating jobs. But if it is an industry you are subsidizing, you have to ask yourself if the benefits outweigh the costs. This depends on how much you have to spend on subsidies, and how much benefit is derived from the subsidy (in terms of jobs, etc, etc).

THE WAY THINGS ARE GOING. IF THE FEW AUTO MANUFACTURERS IN PLACE FOLDS UP, INVESTORS WILL NOT DARE TO INVEST IN THAT SECTOR. OFCOURSE BUSINESS IS DONE WITH CASE STUDIES AND SCENARIOS.
Well, investors usually look to invest if they can make a profit. If there is only profit to be made with massive subsidy. . . not clear that it benefits either side.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by PhysicsMHD(m): 5:01am On Feb 24, 2011
Nigeria loses N175bn annually to car importation
By Rasheed Bisiriyu and Emeka Ezekiel
Wednesday, 21 Jul 2010

View All (cool Comment(s)

Post Comment

Twitter

Send to friend

click to expand image
Minister of Finance, Mr. Olusegun Aganga

Nigeria is losing about N175bn through the importation of different brands of foreign cars annually.

Ironically, while many dealers in foreign vehicles have continued to make higher projections based on increase in periodic sales profiles, local auto plants are under threat of liquidation on account of low patronage.

The N175bn loss is contained in the latest report on the state of the nation‘s automobile industry prepared by the National Automotive Council, a copy of which was obtained by our correspondent on Tuesday.

The report, which indicated that ”the new vehicles we import annually represent a foreign exchange outflow equivalent to N175bn”, however, noted that ”developing countries such as Brazil, India, China and South Africa have used high import duties either to protect fledgling indigenous manufacturers or to force global car firms to invest in the development of their national motor industries. These countries now export vehicles to Nigeria.”

NAC also said in the report, which it entitled, “Incentives and protective measures to encourage local assembly of motor vehicle” that the Nigerian economy would benefit immensely from a rejuvenated automotive industry.

It said, “Even though the infrastructure and raw materials are inadequate, assembly of cars from completely knocked parts provided manufacturing value added of 40 per cent. The built-up of buses starting with only the chassis and engine gives local manufacturing value added of 60 per cent.

”The vehicle assembly also provides an opportunity to gradually replace imported parts with local ones, thereby resulting in more value addition. This was the intention behind the setting up of the assembly plants by the government in the 1970‘s.”

Responding to an enquiry from one of our correspondents on how the government intends to reverse the trend, the Director-General, National Automotive Council, Mr. Aminu Jala, said there was an urgent need to fast track the implementation of a tariff deferential policy in order to encourage the establishment of local car assembly plants.

He said, ”Our own experience and that of other countries that developed their automotive industries indicates that we need to implement a tariff differential policy in order to create an enabling environment that would bring in more investments into the sector and further encourage locally assembly of vehicles.

”The Federal Government should consider tariff as a measure to increase local capacity and not as a revenue generating instrument. An ideal tariff structure must take into cognizance all incentives and concessions, which should have a long term positive effect on local manufacturing.”

But Nigerians in Diaspora have rekindled the hope of achieving a Made-in-Nigeria car with plans to establish an assembly plant in the country under a patent called Zhope Automobiles.

The group is led by Prof Emmanuel Ezugwu, a professor of Engineering Systems and Director, Machining Research Centre, Faculty of Engineering Science and the Built Environment, London South Bank University.

A model of the 15-seater air-conditioned bus produced by the group was displayed at the premises of the NAC in Abuja, last Wednesday.

Ezugwu said that the plants would manufacture and assemble made in Nigeria automobiles in the six geopolitical zones of the country.

He said, ”This innovative project incorporates over 25 years research and development experience in the area of advanced manufacturing technology for sustainable development.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201007215491282
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ekubear1: 5:09am On Feb 24, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Ironically, while many dealers in foreign vehicles have continued to make higher projections based on increase in periodic sales profiles, local auto plants are under threat of liquidation on account of low patronage.
Responding to an enquiry from one of our correspondents on how the government intends to reverse the trend, the Director-General, National Automotive Council, Mr. Aminu Jala, said there was an urgent need to fast track the implementation of a tariff deferential policy in order to encourage the establishment of local car assembly plants.
He said, ”Our own experience and that of other countries that developed their automotive industries indicates that we need to implement a tariff differential policy in order to create an enabling environment that would bring in more investments into the sector and further encourage locally assembly of vehicles.

”The Federal Government should consider tariff as a measure to increase local capacity and not as a revenue generating instrument. An ideal tariff structure must take into cognizance all incentives and concessions, which should have a long term positive effect on local manufacturing.”
In other words, Nigerians do not buy the locally produced cars at the price they are sold at, and prefer imported ones. So I guess foreign ones are cheaper, even with the existing import duties?

In other words, not an area where we have a competitive advantage.

One then wonders why the local cars don't cost less. Likely electricity and various other inputs becomes a big factor.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Justcash(m): 5:11am On Feb 24, 2011
eku_bear:

What is your reasoning for saying this? I calculated the cost of the buses earlier in the thread. $67K or so, iirc. What is Innoson's price, and why would the price balloon to 5X of that?
So my question for you is this. How much are you willing to overpay for the gov't to support Innoson? 1.1X? 2X? 5X? Everyone has a different price point. What is yours? Me, 1.1 or 1.2X is the most I'm willing to pay.
I don't think anyone is against creating jobs. But if it is an industry you are subsidizing, you have to ask yourself if the benefits outweigh the costs. This depends on how much you have to spend on subsidies, and how much benefit is derived from the subsidy (in terms of jobs, etc, etc).
Well, investors usually look to invest if they can make a profit. If there is only profit to be made with massive subsidy. . . not clear that it benefits either side.

[b]WITH THE WAY YOU ARGUE, ONE WOULD ACTUALLY THINK THAT AMERICANS WERE FOOLS FOR ALLOWING OBAMA'S ADMINISTRATION TO BORROW MONEY FROM CHINA  TO BAIL OUT SOME OF THEIR AUTO MANUFACTURERS. THEY WENT AGAINST THEIR CORE CAPITALIST PRINCIPLES TO DO THAT. THAT IS A CASE OF HOW MUCH SUCH AN INDUSTRY CAN MEAN TO JOBS AND TAX.
THEY COULD HAVE AS WELL ALLOWED AMERICAN AUTO MANUFACTURERS TO FOLD UP, AFTERALL THERE ARE CHEAPER ASIAN CARS .E.G. TOYOTA THAT COULD SUPPLEMENT THEM.
YOUR ATTITUDE IS NOT NEW TO ME. MANY NIGERIANS LIKE YOU PREFER TO BUY IMPORTED"POLO" BY RALPH LAUREN SHIRTS AT THE RATE OF 1500-20000, WHEN THERE ARE NIGERIAN MADE POLOS THAT COST LESS THAN 2000, THAT CAN BEAT BIG BRANDS IN THE LONG-TERM IF PATRONIZED.
STOP TALKING ABOUT GOVERNMENT SUBSIDIZING ANYTHING FOR AUTO- MANUFACTURERS. THEY DON'T HAVE TO. ALL THEY HAVE TO DO IS TO TRY TO STIMULATE EMPLOYMENT FOR NIGERIANS THROUGH USING POLICIES TO ENCOURAGE THEM. AT THE MOMENT, GOVERNMENT EVEN GAT A BIG LOAN FACILITY FOR AUTO MANUFACTURERS. IS THAT THE SOLUTION? NO!  THEY SHOULD HELP TO CREATE PATRONAGE FOR THEM, THEREBY ENCOURAGING JOB CREATION.

I DON'T INTEND TO ARGUE ANY LONGER WITH YOU. I FEEL LIKE I AM TELLING YOU THINGS YOU SHOULD HAVE LEARNT.

WELL, I ENCOURAGE INNOSON TO SEEK FOR A WAY OUT OF NIGERIA IF HE IS NOT MAKING ANY PROGRESS. I HEARD THAT HE IS BEING PATRONIZED BY TRANSPORTERS AND SOME SOUTH-EAST GOVERNORS.
[/b]
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ekubear1: 5:14am On Feb 24, 2011
^-- Isn't by force. We can agree to disagree.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ikeyman00(m): 6:34am On Feb 24, 2011
^^^^^^ see the way u ve writing crap and feeling funky

i think we the ndi-igbo know why lipsrsealed

abi na inferiority wahala hahha NO CHANCE
yes na by force!!

these Nigerians una envy no bi small

let the light shine for once
[size=28pt]
okini di[/size]
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ekubear1: 6:38am On Feb 24, 2011
^--- lol @ envy. There are some people on earth who have achieved more than me at my age, but they aren't many. No inferiority complex have I. If anything, I suffer from the opposite grin
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ikeyman00(m): 6:40am On Feb 24, 2011
^^^

ok bro

no wahala wink
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by AjanleKoko: 10:13am On Feb 24, 2011
With the kind of consumption levels in Nigeria, it makes sense for vehicle manufacturers to set up and assemble/produce locally. This is not even a case of local brand vs imported brand. There are Toyota factories all over Asia. China, Taiwan, Malaysia, even Thailand. They produce units for local consumption in those markets, and even for export.

As per Chinese stuff being cheaper . . . the government is likely buying a no-name brand of bus, untested and uncertified. The Chinese can sell anything of any quality, and can give you something for any price you want.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by againstGEJ(m): 10:26am On Feb 24, 2011
Justcash:

If you did not understand or see the points in what I wrote, then you may be either Myopic or simply Uneducated. FYI, I am a Manufacturer. I do so in a foreign land and export to Nigeria because of morons like you.
Contrary to your prayers, Nigeria will divide. By the way,  If you could only understand my disintegration statement from the angle of this bus issue, then your problem must be about being uneducated than myopic.
You are screaming revolution as if you will stand if it happens.  Which group in Nigeria ever revolted against Nigeria? What happened to them? I am Igbo if you must know. I will rather stay away from your silly enclave than argue about how to revolt again and be backstabbed. I bet an uneducated person like you does not know the history of your enclave.

Ndigbo boy. what are we saying, and what is he saying? You are one of those manufacturers who send fake and sub standard products to Naija from Japan? LOL.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Nobody: 10:31am On Feb 24, 2011
AjanleKoko:

With the kind of consumption levels in Nigeria, it makes sense for vehicle manufacturers to set up and assemble/produce locally. This is not even a case of local brand vs imported brand. There are Toyota factories all over Asia. China, Taiwan, Malaysia, even Thailand. They produce units for local consumption in those markets, and even for export.

As per Chinese stuff being cheaper . . . the government is likely buying a no-name brand of bus, untested and uncertified. The Chinese can sell anything of any quality, and can give you something for any price you want.

yeah, as soon as we sort out power , security, customs and the nigerian factor

plus i hear stuff about how nigerian workers are erm not it - u know dangote is hiring filipinos or some such?
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by fstranger3(m): 10:37am On Feb 24, 2011
oyb:

plus i hear stuff about how nigerian workers are erm not it - u know dangote is hiring filipinos or some such?

That is an affront on our collective psyche, what do you mean?
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Nobody: 10:45am On Feb 24, 2011
^^^

i worked in siemens nigeria ltd as an industrial attache in 1999, the guys in the electrical panel workshop always did overtime, and they always loafed around. they actually told me that overtime was just awoof money. a year later there was a massive business restructuring, and the head of the workshop was asked to go because the workshop was not operating profitably

i have heard this from several different people even on the radio . apparently dangote now hires filipinos for labour intensive work. apparently the nigerians are lazy and always stealing stuff

thats what i'm getting at.

a situation in which the people who you will employ have work ethic issues and will begin to shout foreign oppressor when you try to set them straight
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by texazzpete(m): 10:48am On Feb 24, 2011
Funny how Innoson motors is quick to trumpet all the accolades they received from GEJ on their website, but no single information on crash safety tests on their website.

Safety must be given a priority in all vehicle purchases. I suggest the federal Government holds off any purchase from these guys until their vehicles go through rigorous testing.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ASL33: 11:37am On Feb 24, 2011
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by againstGEJ(m): 11:40am On Feb 24, 2011
30 to 550?
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by FACE(m): 12:16pm On Feb 24, 2011
texazzpete:

Funny how Innoson motors is quick to trumpet all the accolades they received from GEJ on their website, but no single information on crash safety tests on their website.

Safety must be given a priority in all vehicle purchases. I suggest the federal Government holds off any purchase from these guys until their vehicles go through rigorous testing.

Do you expect him to have the company's operation/standard procedure on public display just to make you happy ? How do you know that they do not have QC, risk assessment, product review/assessment and health and safety procedure in place ? Why do you not apply the same standard to other car manufacturers who do not have details of their safety checks on the net except for passing comments on their latest technology ?

Why do people talk rubbish all the time rather than keep quiet if they do not know ?

Innoson is a titan and has done very well with his other manufacturing industries including motor cycle assembly. Of course, his plant and other plants in Nigeria ought to enjoy some form of govt protection and patronage, but I am sure he has his game plan and has simply got on with his money making regardless of what people think.

Someone mentioned that people might not really know about their products. Valid point in my opinion and I think they should invest in adverts (NTA, live footy, etc) and also make their website to be dynamic to enable people get good information about their products.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Kobojunkie: 12:35pm On Feb 24, 2011
texazzpete:

Safety must be given a priority in all vehicle purchases.
I suggest the federal Government holds off any purchase from these guys until their vehicles go through rigorous testing.

Ding, ding, ding!!!
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Nobody: 12:39pm On Feb 24, 2011
i hope they aren't taking the approach our local dealers have with kia

apparently no kia model sold in nigeria comes with an airbag , while the same models sold in us come with multiple airbags

I suggest the federal Government holds off any purchase from these guys until their vehicles go through rigorous testing.

SON for where? those twats couldn't test a paper bag
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Demainman1: 12:49pm On Feb 24, 2011
INNOSON will not fail Africans!! The guy will succeed against all odds. Charity must begin at home my people. All the eastern states combine have population that is greater than a lot of Africa countries.

All INNOSON needs is patronage from the Eastern states first, then eastern transporters/business/private. With time west african countries will take advantage and hopefully the NORTH will come on board.

By now more than one investor will join the bandwagon and start to produce vehicle in the other region of Nigeria.

Now Federal govt, NLC, TUC grin will not have a choice but to patronise cheap(great quality) nigeria cars.

INNOSON carry go! We are all praying for your success! But, please remember to treat your worker well oo.

DO NOT BE LIKE THOSE CHINA COMPANIES THAT USE SLAVE LABOURS OO. PLEASE!
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Kobojunkie: 12:59pm On Feb 24, 2011
Demain_man:

INNOSON will not fail Africans!! The guy will succeed against all odds. Charity must begin at home my people. All the eastern states combine have population that is greater than a lot of Africa countries.

All INNOSON needs is patronage from the Eastern states first, then eastern transporters/business/private. With time west african countries will take advantage and hopefully the NORTH will come on board.

By now more than one investor will join the bandwagon and start to produce vehicle in the other region of Nigeria.

Now Federal govt, NLC, TUC grin will not have a choice but to patronise cheap(great quality) nigeria cars.

INNOSON carry go! We are all praying for your success! But, please remember to treat your worker well oo.

Now we are talking . . . instead of folks feeding us with ridiculously silly tribal reasons for why the company was not given this order, I would instead they, the consumers who feel these vehicles are worth it, and the company worth it's grain, even with not a lot of information of this out there, go out and get people to buy these cars. Those self-made tribal warriors can as well take it on themselves to at least convince the public in their tribal area to buy Innoson. With over 8 million in the East, it should not be too difficult for innoson to capture the market if quality is a non-issue as some are quick to claim.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by FACE(m): 1:12pm On Feb 24, 2011
Kobojunkie:

[s]Now we are talking . . . instead of folks feeding us with ridiculously silly tribal reasons for why the company was not given this order, I would instead they, the consumers who feel these vehicles are worth it, and the company worth it's grain, even with not a lot of information of this out there, go out and get people to buy these cars.[/s] Those self-made tribal warriors can as well take it on themselves to at least convince the public in their tribal area to buy Innoson. [s]With over 8 million in the East, it should not be too difficult for innoson to capture the market if quality is a non-issue as some are quick to claim.
[/s]

An those self made one foot in the grave , approaching 60 years old, jobless 21000 post and counting, lying, know it all hypocrites should abstain from talking rubbish all the time.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by texazzpete(m): 1:12pm On Feb 24, 2011
FACE:

Do you expect him to have the company's operation/standard procedure on public display just to make you happy ? How do you know that they do not have QC, risk assessment, product review/assessment and health and safety procedure in place ? Why do you not apply the same standard to other car manufacturers who do not have details of their safety checks on the net except for passing comments on their latest technology ?

Why do people talk rubbish all the time rather than keep quiet if they do not know ?

Innoson is a titan and has done very well with his other manufacturing industries including motor cycle assembly. Of course, his plant and other plants in Nigeria ought to enjoy some form of govt protection and patronage, but I am sure he has his game plan and has simply got on with his money making regardless of what people think.

Someone mentioned that people might not really know about their products. Valid point in my opinion and I think they should invest in adverts (NTA, live footy, etc) and also make their website to be dynamic to enable people get good information about their products.

Most car manufacturers have critical safety information on their websites. Most of them also have been stress tested by several regulatory bodies and the results are in the public domain.
With Innoson, we have nothing. There is no guarantee for customers that the vehicles will not crumple like a tin can on impact.
Look, i am all for supporting the local industry as much as possible, but i'm far more passionate about optimal use of taxpayers' money.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Kobojunkie: 1:18pm On Feb 24, 2011
Demain_man:

Now we are talking . . . instead of folks feeding us with ridiculously silly tribal rambles for why the company was not given this order, I would instead they, the consumers who feel these vehicles are worth it, and the company worth it's grain, even with not a lot of information of this out there, go out to INNOSON and demand that it gets to working on convincing the people to buy these cars. Those self-made tribal warriors can as well take it on themselves to at least convince the public in their tribal area to buy Innoson. With over 8 million in the East, it should not be too difficult for innoson to capture the market if quality is a non-issue as some are quick to claim.

So, in addition to the question I have on this, what part of the market(non government) has INNOSON been able to penetrate in it's two years(assuming production did commence in 2008) of business?
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by AjanleKoko: 1:22pm On Feb 24, 2011
oyb:

Yeah, I know.

fstranger3:

That is an affront on our collective psyche, what do you mean?

Erm, not that Nigerian workers are not it o, in a manner of speaking. We just don't have the blue collar skill base at all. So if anybody wants to set up a factory in Nigeria now, he will need to spend time and money training people, and still have to battle ego and attitudes.

Indians and Chinese, even Filipinos and Malays, are different. They work well and have blue collar skills. That's why they dominate the blue-collar economies of many countries today.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Demainman1: 1:24pm On Feb 24, 2011
texazzpete:

Most car manufacturers have critical safety information on their websites. Most of them also have been stress tested by several regulatory bodies and the results are in the public domain.
With Innoson, we have nothing. There is no guarantee for customers that the vehicles will not crumple like a tin can on impact.
Look, i am all for supporting the local industry as much as possible, but i'm far more passionate about optimal use of taxpayers' money.

My friend Chinese car manufacturers do not have any critical safety information anywhere i can tell you that for sure. Why do you think none of the vehicles are welcome anywhere in the developed world(Europe and America)? because they are fake immitations of european cars.

Worse still China-man will never ever give blackman good quality products even if they can manufacture them. The simple reason being that they do not give a hoot about us seriously.

If chinese get the chance, dem go kill all darkie and collect all our resources. I am not a prophet but all i can see is that if the current trend continues, there will be more chinese/indians and the rest asians in africa in the next 100 years. Then our people go hear kwin grin
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Dede1(m): 1:31pm On Feb 24, 2011
Most Nigerians are funny and wily irresponsible. How could any Nigerian honestly argue against federal government of Nigeria buying goods and services made in Nigeria by our brothers and sisters and still want development of the cesspit? Is the development coming from heaven?

If you have taken a trip in the luxurious buses built by ANNAMCO which are currently plying Nigerian roads and still support the idiotic decision by UDBN, NLC and TUC to buy luxurious buses from China, you should be tied to a stake and allow to die slowly under the intensive heat of the sun.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Lai Mohammed To Sue Fadeye And Bazuaye Who Said He Stole 'ChangeBeginsWithMe' / 2018 Ekiti Governorship Election: Fayose Launches Political Movement / APC In Imo Doesn't Have A Governorship Candidate - Daniel Nwafor, APC Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.