Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,622 members, 7,813,050 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:44 AM

Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company (18517 Views)

Lagos To Ban ‘danfo’ Buses From Passing Broad Street And Apongbon / Subsidy: Labour Gets 600 Buses From Fg / Joy As Enugu Receives 30 Luxury Buses From Innoson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by EzeUche2(m): 6:29am On Feb 22, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Would you then be more willing the Government purchase the buses from Japan then?

No, I would prefer we bought the buses from a Nigerian company. It is time to protect/support our local industries.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ekubear1: 6:38am On Feb 22, 2011
So you buy your laptop from japan (sony, I guess?). . . but want someone else to support local nigeria businesses? undecided

na wa o
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by EzeUche2(m): 6:42am On Feb 22, 2011
eku_bear:

So you buy your laptop from japan (sony, I guess?). . . but want someone else to support local nigeria businesses? undecided

na wa o

If I could get a laptop made in Nigeria, maybe I would be more inclined to. But that is a red herring and you know it. I am a protectionist. It is time to protect our industries from the Chinese menace. We are not the only ones discussing this. People and the West are also pushing for more protectionist policies.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ekubear1: 6:45am On Feb 22, 2011
EzeUche_:

If I could get a laptop made in Nigeria, maybe I would be more inclined to. But that is a red herring and you know it

Abeg, you can easily get a laptop made in nigeria. Or at least assembled there. That ain't an excuse. You want other people to be protectionist, but you yourself are free to buy cheaper goods from abroad.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by EzeUche2(m): 6:48am On Feb 22, 2011
eku_bear:

Abeg, you can easily get a laptop made in nigeria. Or at least assembled there. That ain't an excuse. You want other people to be protectionist, but you yourself are free to buy cheaper goods from abroad.

My laptop wasn't cheap, since I am a "gamer." I like Japanese products, because of "quality." I buy things for quality, not on how cheap it is. Chinese goods are CRAP.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Kobojunkie: 6:52am On Feb 22, 2011
EzeUche_:

If I could get a laptop made in Nigeria, maybe I would be more inclined to. But that is a red herring and you know it. I am a protectionist. It is time to protect our industries from the Chinese menace. We are not the only ones discussing this. People and the West are also pushing for more protectionist policies.

Why exactly can't you get a laptop made in Nigeria? They do make them, you know? Remember DDC Machine fiasco? Many of the units were Nigerian made. I am sure if you are serious about supporting local content, you would have no problem getting your hands on a Nigerian made machine.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by EzeUche2(m): 7:13am On Feb 22, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Why exactly can't you get a laptop made in Nigeria? They do make them, you know? Remember DDC Machine fiasco? Many of the units were Nigerian made. I am sure if you are serious about supporting local content, you would have no problem getting your hands on a Nigerian made machine.

Quality, quality, quality. We are arguing about Chinese buses, in which I am more inclined to believe that Chinese products are inferior, because most of their products break down easily. Go to Wal-Mart and buy an iron and see how long it will last you.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Kobojunkie: 7:18am On Feb 22, 2011
^^^ No, my argument was NEVER about the Chinese. Please revisit my argument. I am for Quality rather than for supporting of local content over Quality
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by honeric01(m): 7:22am On Feb 22, 2011
^^^

And what makes you think the ones currently being produced here in Nigeria are not of quality? Have you used any of the 2 mentioned ones before?
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by fstranger3(m): 7:32am On Feb 22, 2011
^^^

She just assumes. Remember she is a hater of everything Black and Nigerian
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by hercules07: 9:41am On Feb 22, 2011
@Kobo

Nobody makes any computer in Nigeria, the DDC machines were imported and Zinox is a glorified computer village, their branded systems are assembled in China.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by presido1: 11:18am On Feb 22, 2011
All of a sudden Made In China is the hot cake. Do you guys remember the old saying "Na Taiwan". If their people and to some extent Africans did not patronise them China wouldn't be the hot cake of today.
For those of you saying they are using made in China Laptops, its only made in China and not Chinese brand. Sonny Lappy made in china will always be the same if made in Japan cos its sonny brand. And remember those buses once destination is Nigeria/Africa the quality will surely reduce as those Nigerian Officials will sure compromise to maximise their own profit.

seanet02:

Arrant Nonsense!! If the government/citizens does not patronize locally made products, how do you expect them to finetune their products to meet international standards? It is buy patronizing locally made products that the companies involved can work on areas of complaints and finetune their products. Do you expect Ghana people to test your products for you? If the government is actually sincere about promoting local products, it should led by example and patronize this automobile companies, if you are talking of locally made products as being costly, is our government not the main root of the problem, in a country where goverment can not provide basic infrastructures like good road, electricity, railway and others. Imagine if our steel project at Ajaokuta in kogi state has been functional, will this people need to import steel from far away germany which invariably leads to high overhead cost? This country is bullshytt,
I wonder how many of you ignored this post coming from this particular guy.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by calddon(m): 12:04pm On Feb 22, 2011
chinko busses, haba! hasent the phone taught nigerians anything grin
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by againstGEJ(m): 12:21pm On Feb 22, 2011
Why not blame your NLC who choosed the Chinese as their partner in this deal, or some people find it hard to understand an article? All over the world, Chinese are investing and reaping. From America to Europe to Asia, Chinese products are all over the place and in every sector you can think about. But here in Nigeria, we think we are too big for Chinese products. Whats the issue with Nigerians? Which country doesnt buy Chinese products?
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by friedrice1: 12:23pm On Feb 22, 2011
FG buying Buses from China??. Is this the most pressing issue amongst the nations problem
Why don't they concentrate on fixing the roads instead. This is one sector the private sector has contributed
immensely in improving, all they are asking the government is Fixing the roads, and this they wont do.
Clueless Jonathan and his cabinet of Dull brains angry.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by againstGEJ(m): 12:26pm On Feb 22, 2011
fried-rice:

FG buying Buses from China??. Is this the most pressing issue amongst the nations problem
Why don't they concentrate on fixing the roads instead. This is one sector the private sector has contributed
immensely in improving, all they are asking the government is Fixing the roads, and this they wont do.
Clueless Jonathan and his cabinet of Dull brains angry.

LOL - If government spends money on road, and ignores other sectors, you will be the first to shout why are they ignoring transport. You are making noise for no reason. So NLC/TUC are not private sectors? The 10billion naira funding is for the private sector to invest in Transport. LOL

Arm chair critics all over the place.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Nobody: 12:27pm On Feb 22, 2011
@eku-bear, how much is nigeria spending to create Jobs for the millions that are graduating each year?
do u know d cost of a car does not end with the price on that car but also on maintenance cost?
for hw long will Nigeria keep "plucking fruit" that is closer to the ground rather than sweating it out to make our country more comfortable in the future?
do u know that the cost of manufacturing things in Nigeria is that expensive because most companies run on 24hours generator which was due to the failure of this same govt to providing uninterrupted power supply?
i can go on and on and u will see that this govt is part of those that kept Nigeria in this precarious situation we find ourselves today.
We have oil, gas, so many natural resources and even water and sun that electricity can be easily generated but nothing has been done to improve the state of our dear country.
we have the resources, the brains, the 'cheap labour' etc, what is really missing is the good leaders to go with it.
The only reason i see them going to China to buy those buses is corruption. Cos any shady deal there cannot be easily traced unlike when it is done at home. Same reasons why so many of our leaders are keeping and investing their looted funds outside Nigeria.
Pls, grow up and don't see the cheapness of the buses as the lasting solution.  We have sold our birthright enough. Of all the developing countries 20-30years ago, Nigeria is the only country still there. The likes of India,Indonesia,malaysia,china,south korea, south Africa, etc had since left us. we have started even importing from india, indonesia not minding the distance.
Nigeria will surely rise against these atrocities one day.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by againstGEJ(m): 12:28pm On Feb 22, 2011
How many of you here will buy made in Nigeria cars? Think and argue objectively. Me, I will never buy a made in Nigeria car talkless of a bus for everyday use.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Ikwikwikwi(m): 12:29pm On Feb 22, 2011
who be this eku nonsense sef? comot here jare
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by chamber2(m): 12:30pm On Feb 22, 2011
@Onlytruth: I'm not arguing against patronage. I just want us to first grab (patronize) the low-hanging fruit that is easiest to get, rather than the fruit at the top of the tree that is more difficult/costly to obtain.

Nigeria right now cannot beat China at manufacturing cars. But building a factory that supplies a single component for a car (e.g., tires)? Well, do that well, make sure the plant is supplied with natural gas/rubber/etc so that you can produce at competitive prices, and you can probably steal the Chinese tire business in Nigeria and all of West Africa. Once you secure that business, you move into other components of the car. Until one day you manufacture (at competitive prices) all the components of a car.

Anyone who is seriously suggesting that Nigeria should spend enormous amounts of resources patronizing car manufacturers without ensuring that one of the inputs to said car (electricity) is available at reasonable prices simply doesn't have a clue what is going on.

Otoh, if government policy will allow massive subsidies to companies who aren't otherwise economically viable. . . well, I too can start an economically unviable business, and thus demand to be propped up by the government  Grin

EkuBear Aerospace can produce airplanes at 3X the cost of the big names. Let us buy from EkuBear Aerospace though, in the name of patriotism

You made great sense in the above post.people always look at things from the surface and yet instead of buying ABA shoes they will go and buy Italian or American shoes.

Elementary Economics should have exposed us to the law of comparative advantage as propounded by David Ricardo.Why encouraging local industries i support that the government should import that which is relatively cheaper to produce in other countries especially a capital intensive industry like the automobile.

I wonder how many years it would take our local manufacturers to produce 550 buses and what would eventually happen to our people before then.Some of us would have been dead by then.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by againstGEJ(m): 12:37pm On Feb 22, 2011
[size=18pt]This story and title is mis leading. Blame the TUC and NLC for going to China not the FG. FG only provided the loan.[/size]

THE Federal Government and its Chinese counterpart have signed a N5.5 billion urban mass transit deal, with a view to boosting the Nigerian transport sector.

Under the scheme being brokered by the Urban Development Bank of Nigeria (UDBN) for the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC), about 550 urban mass transit buses would be injected to the Nigerian transport system.

[size=14pt]Already, NLC and TUC have signed a contract agreement with a Chinese firm, Yutong Hong Kong Limited, for the bus supply.
Money for the project fund is being drawn from the N10 billion intervention fund released to the UDBN as part of its mandate as an infrastructure development bank.
[/size]
In an interview with The Guardian, Managing Director, UDBN, Adekunle Oyinloye, said upon realising the enormous challenges in the sector, government, through the Finance Ministry, released the N10 billion for mass transit operators in the country.

According to him, unlike the past schemes where buses were released to beneficiaries free of charge, the N10 billion is a revolving loan with five per cent interest rate and repayment plan of five years or less.

Oyinloye said half of the fund has been earmarked for the NLC and TUC, while the other half is meant for local councils and individuals.
His words: “Government provided N10 billion, half of which is meant for TUC and NLC, the other 50 per cent for the local government and private individuals. Twenty per cent of the N5 billion, which is N2 billion, is meant for state and local government, while 30 per cent is meant for private sector operators.”
Oyinloye, who said his bank was a Development Finance Institution (DFIO) focused on infrastructure, assured that due diligence had been embedded in the disbursement of the funds to ensure strict repayment plan.

According to him, for any private sector operator to access the fund, it must have a bank guarantee, credit insurance, an irrevocable standing payment order from state or local council and corporate guarantee that is credible.

Besides, he said organisations wishing to participate in the scheme must present their business plans showing that they are capable of operating the buses to access the fund.

He disclosed that to safeguard the fund and make sure that it was used for mass transit, the UDBN opted to acquire the buses and not release cash to beneficiaries.
The bank chief added: “So far, we have had a good number of private sector operators who have been able to access the fund. Companies like ABC Transport, Okeyson and Ekenedili Chukwu, have been able to meet our criteria and we have given them the buses. We don’t give out money, we acquire the buses and give to them.”
On the controversy that trailed the NLC-Yutong deal, Oyinloye explained that the bank was just a financial adviser in the pact, stressing that it did not introduce Yutong to NLC.

According to him, NLC had been dealing with Yutong long before the current deal, which involved the bank at advisory level.

The NLC had been sharply divided over the Yutong, China deal as some members accused the congress’ leadership of not following due process in the contract deal.
Some NLC affiliates also alleged that the deal smacked of graft, claiming that money exchanged hands during the signing of the contract agreement in China, where the union President, Abdulwaheed Omar; Chairman of Labour City Transport Service (LCTS) and Vice President, NLC, Peter Adeyemi and General Secretary, John Odah, were present and signed on behalf of NLC.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Ikwikwikwi(m): 12:41pm On Feb 22, 2011
some people still think through their anus. These local Truck factories can deliver same quantity and quality buses and even at a better rate than the wholly imported ones. Some cheap economists here still propound theorems which has been quashed a long time.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by againstGEJ(m): 12:43pm On Feb 22, 2011
If someone gives you a loan, and you take the load to the place that suits you, how come you are now blaming the person wey give u the loan in the first instance?

No be FG sign pact with Chinese. Why cant we be objective for once? Blame the NLC for going to China. Come on/.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Kobojunkie: 12:47pm On Feb 22, 2011
hercules07:

@Kobo

Nobody makes any computer in Nigeria, the DDC machines were imported and Zinox is a glorified computer village, their branded systems are assembled in China.

Well, according to Zinox, the machines are made/Assembled in Nigeria and even at that, they are still catching up with some of the world known and trusted brands. Also, not all the DDC Machines were imported. A good fraction where Zinox machines.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by againstGEJ(m): 12:54pm On Feb 22, 2011
Poster.

Give us fair and accurate introductions to your thread.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Guyman02: 1:05pm On Feb 22, 2011
If the Biafrans could produce Armoured Personel Carriers Forty years ago, i wonder why we are still awarding contracts to the Chinese to supply us with mass transit buses in 2011. Give that money without sentiments to local engineers in Aba or Nnewi and see if they would not establish a factory and deliver quality buses within a five year period.
Who is deceiving who? I am fully in the power industry and most of our equipments are manufactured in Egypt such as Exhaust stacks, HVACS, transformers etc factories owned by GE, Siemens, Alstom etc because the Egyptians requested that some of the factories be sited in their country if the West want continous access to the Suez canal. presently We have orders for power generating equipment that are three years in queue waiting.
Therefore stable power is still a long time off, we waited so long before commencing the road map because power generation increased capacity is a continous process and not static as Nigerian former rulers thought.
I commend Prof Barth Nnaji for siting his 140MW power plant in Aba. If he could deliver as he promised, then expect to see a boost in manufacturing from Aba and export through Portharcourt seaport. They have the potential to capture the West African market.

I visited Aba recently and saw locally manufactured and improvised KEKE NAPEP trycycles built from the engines of old motorcycles by welders from scratch.
Iam always dismayed whenever i see stories like this and we complain of unemployment among our able bodied youths.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by manny4life(m): 1:31pm On Feb 22, 2011
What is Nigeria turning into? Why not buy from the locals first to protect our industries? VERY PATHETIC.

The moment our leaders look beyond the myth that we are able to do thing on our own and limit foreign reliance, then we would progress onto something new. I pity my dear country.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by manny4life(m): 1:33pm On Feb 22, 2011
What is Nigeria turning into? Why not buy from the locals first to protect our industries? VERY PATHETIC. angry angry

The moment our leaders look beyond the myth that we are able to do thing on our own and limit foreign reliance, then we would progress onto something new. I pity my dear country. sad sad
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Kobojunkie: 1:35pm On Feb 22, 2011
calddon:

chinko busses, haba! hasent the phone taught nigerians anything grin

There is no need to be racist. We have a nairalander, I believe who is based in China and from what he himself has revealed, there is a reason why substandard goods from China continue to flood into Nigeria. There was a discussion some years ago on this, and he explained that a major contributing factor to this is the Nigerian business men and women who go out to China to demand these goods. There are different product grades available, and if there is a demand for substandard goods, then it makes sense that they will continue to be produced to fill supply.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Demainman1: 1:45pm On Feb 22, 2011
It's so sad to see nigerians arguing against patronizing local industries. I weep for my country o. China are producing cheaper today cos of patronage you know. By the way whats is the point of importing this buses. Wey roads? All I can see is wastage!!!

For you information. Chinese products that ends up in the Africa(dark planet as they will make you belief) is even of lower quality than Nigeria-made one (phones, roofing sheets, metal security doors, electrical cables) readily comes to mind. Europeans will never allow such product into their country. Ask yourself this, How come you don't see made in china motors in europe and america? Because they are fakes.

Yes, Europeans buy good quality china products, prices which majority of Nigerians cannot afford.

Those chinese buses which you guys will receive will be 100% fake because china-man no give a hoot about blackman.

I wish nigeria leaders will just remove this inferiority complex from their eyes just for once and watch my beloved country grow in leaps and bounds.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Dede1(m): 1:46pm On Feb 22, 2011
It is embarrassing to read from the same punks who will readily invoke USA in their useless argument when engaged in debate about regressive state of Nigeria. USA government will never allow loan money given to any group to purchase vehicles not made in USA. It must be part of loan agreement that proceeds should be channeled towards local economy. Even local governments must make sure that brands of three major USA automakers are included their fleets.

The same approach of buy-America-first is also applied in acquiring weapons. There was no doubt that AK-47 proved to be a better assault rifle than M16 both in price, reliability and durability, yet USA insisted in purchasing the more expensive, less reliable and often jamming M16 rifles.

However, individuals in USA could buy any brand of products manufactured by any country since the government can not force individuals to buy from a particular manufacturer or country.

ANNAMCO is a subsidiary of Mercedes Benz and it’s products have proven beyond the scrutiny of time as most commercial and luxurious buses plying on Nigeria’s routes were built in Enugu.

I have said and will continue to say that Nigeria is a piece of lamb dung and do not qualify to be mentioned as a country.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by againstGEJ(m): 1:58pm On Feb 22, 2011
Dede1:

It is embarrassing to read from the same punks who will readily invoke USA in their useless argument when engaged in debate about regressive state of Nigeria. USA government will never allow loan money given to any group to purchase vehicles not made in USA. It must be part of loan agreement that proceeds should be channeled towards local economy. Even local governments must make sure that brands of three major USA automakers are included their fleets.

The same approach of buy-America-first is also applied in acquiring weapons. There was no doubt that AK-47 proved to be a better assault rifle than M16 both in price, reliability and durability, yet USA insisted in purchasing the more expensive, less reliable and often jamming M16 rifles.

However, individuals in USA could buy any brand of products manufactured by any country since the government can not force individuals to buy from a particular manufacturer or country.

ANNAMCO is a subsidiary of Mercedes Benz and it’s products have proven beyond the scrutiny of time as most commercial and luxurious buses plying on Nigeria’s routes were built in Enugu.

I have said and will continue to say that Nigeria is a piece of lamb dung and do not qualify to be mentioned as a country. 

Calm down or start a revolution.

sentiments dont drive home points.

A country of 120 million people not fit to be mentioned as a country? Even America thinks otherwise. Foul words and sentiments hardly ever convince anyone when trying to make a point. The wise ones just gloss through such.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Shameful Culture Of Prostitution Among Nigerian Females In Europe / Ifeanyi Aniagboh Visits Buhari Declares Support For APC / Soji Adagunodo Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.