Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,421 members, 7,815,953 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:01 PM

African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (65899 Views)

Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / The Love-Hate Relationship Between Africans, African Americans And Islanders / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 5:38am On Jan 22, 2013
blyss you have embarrassed yourself enough on this thread.
take your place on the side lines and never address me on this thread.

thanks.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 5:47am On Jan 22, 2013
*Kails*:
blyss you have embarrassed yourself enough on this thread.
take your place on the side lines and never address me on this thread.

thanks.

My facts still stand on the genetic connection between the Igbo and BA people.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 5:49am On Jan 22, 2013
Blyss:

My facts still stand on the genetic connection between the Igbo and BA people.

the show is over...

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 5:51am On Jan 22, 2013
*Kails*:

the show is over...

Why? Because you've posted up some half-breed Jamo's, claiming them as being natives? cheesy
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 5:54am On Jan 22, 2013
Blyss:

Why? Because you've posted up some half-breed Jamo's, claiming them as being natives? cheesy

once again you've epicly embarrassed yourself.
what does maroon jamaicans and the tainos have to do with the present topic (accuracy of claiming us as all or mostly igbo using DNA testing)?

please fvck off already.

your daftness is too much right now.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 6:01am On Jan 22, 2013
*Kails*:

once again you've epicly embarrassed yourself.
what does maroon jamaicans and the tainos have to do with the present topic (accuracy of claiming us as all or mostly igbo using DNA testing)?

please fvck off already.

your daftness is too much right now.

cheesy LOL!! Relax, that was a joke. I actually didn't even read any of that stuff you posted up for PhysicsED; I could care less about Jamaica and Jamaicans. Let's get this thread back on topic; post some historical ish up to prove me wrong about the topic this thread was made to address.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 6:08am On Jan 22, 2013
that's nice.
bye.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 10:10am On Jan 22, 2013
*Kails*:
interesting....

these dna tests will only show that there is some of a specific tribe in us (most common within the 5 generations which would then be compared to a living african on the continent to show there was a common ancestor) but it is impossible to state all of the tribes that make up who we are because we are too mixed up. It'll NEVER HAPPEN.

the only way anyone on our side could be all of anything is if their ppl stayed in one spot all throughout the slave trade, through the centuries and only married each other...this NEVER happened lol. grin
I think a sensible person will agree with you.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 2:28pm On Jan 22, 2013
*Kails*:
interesting....

these dna tests will only show that there is some of a specific tribe in us (most common within the 5 generations which would then be compared to a living african on the continent to show there was a common ancestor) but it is impossible to state all of the tribes that make up who we are because we are too mixed up. It'll NEVER HAPPEN.

the only way anyone on our side could be all of anything is if their ppl stayed in one spot all throughout the slave trade, through the centuries and only married each other...this NEVER happened lol. grin
I've noticed you have a hard time understanding things. You're so full of contradiction yourself. After countering my post you went ahead and brought forward evidence that still quoted my point. I doubt you read what I posted well.
All these sites you quoted reflects exactly what I said earlier - the y dna testing only points to one specific tribe and the mtdna testing to one specific tribe! Is that hard for you to understand No matter how mixed you claim you are, your paternal line is just one tribe, very important and matters the most out of every other possible ancestries! The maternal line then comes next. These two facts alone make it possible for one to trace his first father and mother's tribes. These are testings that many people are undertaking and re-discovering their paternal and maternal ancestries everyday and you sit behind the computer, obviously oblivious of this fact, typing thrash, falsities and what not. No matter the mixing, you have JUST ONE paternal ancestry and ONLY ONE maternal ancestry.
[quote]
http://dna.ancestry.com/buyKitGoals.aspx

Introducing AncestryDNA.

(Y-Chromosome 33 or 46)
Your father's father's father's father is just waiting to give you a hand with your family history. The DNA handed down from father to son through generations helps you connect with genetic cousins.
Begin matching with genetic cousins to grow your family tree.
Participate in DNA Groups and compare levels of relatedness.
Learn the story of your most ancient paternal ancestry from up to 100,000 years ago, complete with photos and a description of the likely life of your people.
Connect with others who share your ancient ancestry.
Learn more about paternal testing.
Note: only males can take this test, but females can ask a father, brother, paternal uncle or nephew to take it for them.
Please note: You will not receive a percentage breakdown of your ethnicity, race or geographic origin with a Paternal Lineage DNA test.

Maternal Lineage DNA Test

(mtDNA)
Your greatest of grandmothers finally share ancient family secrets. The DNA handed down from mother to child reveals the story of your maternal origins from 20,000 to 100,000 years ago.
Discover the story of your maternal ancient origins, complete with photos and a description of the likely life of your people.
Connect with others who share your ancient origins.
Compare individual test results to eliminate a hypothesized relation through the maternal line.
Learn more about maternal testing.
Note: Both males and females can take this test.
Please note: You will not receive a percentage breakdown of your ethnicity, race or geographic origin with a Maternal Lineage DNA test.

Paternal & Maternal Lineage DNA Test
Your maternal and paternal ancestors step forward to help you connect with genetic cousins and tell the full story of your ancient origins from up to 100,000 years ago.
Start to match with genetic cousins and grow your family tree.
Get the full story of your maternal and paternal ancient ancestral origins, complete with photos and a description of the likely life of your people.
Participate in DNA Groups and compare levels of relatedness.
Note: only males can take this test, but females can ask a father, brother, paternal uncle or nephew to take it for them.
Please note: You will not receive a percentage breakdown of your ethnicity, race or geographic origin with a Paternal or Maternal Lineage DNA test. [quote]
You need to get out of your false shell and face reality. 'The dna testing only goes within 5 generations...' that is the dumbest thing you've ever said, supposedly coming from the 'intelligent' person you claim to be. Yet you cannot quote any source to underlie your claim because it is just false. Please, get that out of your head, the dna testing goes way beyond 5 generations!!
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jan 22, 2013
Josh090:
I think a sensible person will agree with you.

Thank you sweetheart.

I wish we could know where we came from exactly. But science cant help us. They can only give us a small piece to a huge puzzle. Thats why i advise ppl to understand this before taking the test and accept that since we've been out here too long, it'll only be right to represent "generations x" (the lost generations that created us) by just repping Africa period....not tribes since we dont belong to any one tribe. smiley

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 3:04pm On Jan 22, 2013
I'm posting and typing all these with my mobile, and despite the handicap, i'll still set my points straight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/familyhistory/next_steps/genetic_genealogy_01.shtml

Genetic Genealogy - What Can It Offer?

Genetic genealogy can reveal a fascinating picture of your racial origins - but how reliable is the data for the family historian?
DNA testing and family history.

You've seen it on television and read about in the newspapers, and it makes you think twice. The head of Harvard University's African-American Studies department takes some DNA tests and is startled to learn that both his paternal and maternal lines are European, and that he has as much European ancestry as African. An adoptee who always thought her family originated from South America takes a test and is pleased to learn that she's of Native American ancestry. Just what is 'genetic genealogy' and is there anything you could learn from such testing?
Simply put, genetic genealogy is DNA testing that's done specifically for the purpose of learning about one's heritage. There are a number of myths about the topic, and one of the most prevalent is the notion that it's the same kind of testing that's done for medical or criminal purposes. It's not.
The DNA tests used by family historians are more restricted, and in a sense, more innocent, than those you see on shows such as 'CSI'. If police wanted to use these tests to find suspects, they'd be forced to round up hundreds or even thousands of distant cousins. And although some wish they would, these tests do not shed any light on your predisposition for certain medical conditions.
Surname studies are by far the most popular application, but many are unaware that there are a handful of tests available, and depending on what you're curious about, one of the other options may be of greatest interest to you. For those who aren't keen on needles, the good news is that all commercial testing companies use mouth swabs, so the whole process is blissfully painless.
If you're already a family historian enthusiast, you may well ponder whether it's worth it. After all, the most popular tests run about £75-100. If any of the following apply, you probably should consider adding DNA to your genealogical arsenal:
You'd like to learn if others with the same surname share a common ancestor with you
You have a situation where the paper trail is iffy or has run out
You have a personal history mystery, especially one of those whispered tales of uncertain parentage (e.g., was Granddad's father really the wealthy banker your great-grandmother worked for before she married?)
You've been sleuthing for years and are ready to put your conventional research to the test to see if science reaches the same conclusions
You want to save time, money and effort in future research
You want to get an idea of geographical origin well before genealogical records began

Your testing options: Y-DNA
Testing your DNA is a straightforward process. As you would expect with any technology, new types of testing continue to emerge, but we'll briefly explore the most popular types available today, starting with the granddaddy of them all, Y-DNA.
Y-DNA testing uses the Y chromosome, which is only sported by males of the species. This has contributed to a myth that women can't play. Just as many take their first steps in genealogy by googling their surname, most venture into genetic genealogy by testing their surname - and I was no different. So when I wanted to test the family I was born into, I picked up the phone and asked my father to take the test. If he had refused, I could have turned to one of my brothers or a paternal uncle or cousin.
The reason Y-DNA is so irresistible to family historians is because it's passed intact from father to son down through the generations.
The reason Y-DNA is so irresistible to family historians is because it's passed intact from father to son down through the generations.
This is wildly convenient since surnames are passed the same way in most cultures. Barring a non-paternity event (yes, they do happen, so make sure you can live with the results if they surface a surprise in your family tree!), the surname and Y-DNA travel through time in tandem - meaning that every man walking the planet today carries the same Y-DNA genetic signature as his father, grandfather, great-grandfather, etc. He's a living representative of those who came before, so no - and this is yet another popular myth - it's not necessary to dig up the dearly departed.
Y-DNA: your results
Y-DNA is carried by men. Most of genetic genealogy boils down to a matchmaking game, and Y-DNA is no exception. When you receive your results, it will likely look like gibberish - just a bunch of numbers. Since it's still cost-prohibitive to test our entire genetic makeup, these tests rely on selected markers, which can be thought of as landmarks in the landscape of our DNA. Genealogists have piggybacked off the efforts of population geneticists who have identified markers that are highly variable - ones that are useful for distinguishing between peoples and even individuals. Your results will be presented as a number for each one of these markers, and it's these numbers (representing how often certain genetic patterns repeat themselves) that are used for finding matches.
This kind of testing can't tell you that your most recent common ancestor is your mutual great-great-great-grandfather,but you know for sure
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 3:13pm On Jan 22, 2013

that your lines converge at some point.
When you use a conventional genealogy database and enter 'John Smith,' the system looks for matches for each letter: J-o-h-n . . . This is exactly what happens with genetic genealogy, only numbers are used as the basis of comparison. Fortunately, all commercial testing companies have databases that automatically generate a list of matches for you. Provided you signed a release, you can then communicate with your genetic mates. Assuming you've joined one of the thousands of surname studies that already exist (try entering the following terms into a search engine - 'genealogy, DNA, surname' to see if there's a project for your name), you'll want to look for matches among your fellow participants. If you want to extend the search still further, you can enter your results in free, public access databases such as www.ybase.org, www.smgf.org and www.ysearch.org and look for matches.
So what does a match mean? It means you share a common ancestor with that person. This kind of testing can't tell you that your most recent common ancestor is your mutual great-great-great-grandfather, but you know for sure that your lines converge at some point. In most surname studies, clusters of genetic mates emerge, and these folks become your research pals. If you're especially lucky, you'll find yourself in a cluster with others who have already done a lot more homework than you. I recently persuaded a man named Jim Shields to join the Shields project of which I'm a member, and he matched another participant perfectly. The other fellow had researched the family for 27 years and knew exactly where Jim fit in, so Jim suddenly had 450 new relatives! And while I can't say this is an every day experience quite yet, the databases are finally achieving critical mass - that is, there are now enough of us getting tested that this kind of outcome will become increasingly common.
If you are contemplating a Y-DNA test, I would suggest that you select at least a mid-resolution test - a test with more than 20 markers. While tests with fewer markers are less expensive, they too often lead to false positives. You may match someone perfectly at 10 or 12 markers and both upgrade to 43, only to learn that you now only match on 33 of those 43 markers. In other words, your initial match was misleading.
Testing options: mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA)
After tiptoeing into the world of genetic genealogy with a Y-DNA test, many become curious to see what else they can learn, so they move on to mitochondrial DNA. Many think of mtDNA as the maternal version of Y-DNA, and while there are certain parallels, it's important to understand the differences - starting with the mode of transmission. MtDNA is passed from mothers to both their sons and daughters, but the sons don't pass it on. This is fortunate because it means all of us - male and female - can take this test ourselves. As with Y-DNA, our test represents those who came before us, only in our maternal line - our mother, mother's mother, mother's mother's mother, etc.
...recent research has revealed that there's greater variety in mtDNA genetic signatures ... and this suggests that it will be of greater genealogical value than we had imagined.
But at this point, mtDNA is not quite as genealogically useful as Y-DNA. This is because it's largely been considered more of a deep ancestry test. If you're familiar with Dr. Bryan Sykes' book, 'The Seven Daughters of Eve', you're aware that the basic premise is that 95 percent of those of European origin can trace their maternal roots to one of seven women who lived between 10,000 and 45,000 years ago. When you take an mtDNA test, you're learning which one of these 'daughters of Eve' you descend from (and incidentally, there are about 36 or 37 on a global basis) - and most companies will provide a color map showing roughly how and when your branch of the world's maternal family tree (referred to as your 'haplogroup') migrated out of Africa.
That's wonderful to know from an intellectual curiosity standpoint, but it usually doesn't tell you much about your recent roots. My maternal Irish forebears, for instance, have passed the H haplogroup down to me. H happens to be the most common in Europe (apparently her maternal descendants were the most successful in reproducing, so roughly 30-40 percent of Europeans are also H), so I have literally millions of maternal cousins.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 3:29pm On Jan 22, 2013
Interesting...
Another Igbo Jamaican making the headlines...

[quote]
http://archives.jard.gov.jm/news/20-documenting-the-life-of-archibald-monteath.html

Documenting the Life of Archibald Monteath (Aniaso), The Igbo Jamaican.

Maureen Warner Lewis in her recent publication “Archibald Monteath: The Igbo, Jamaican, Moravian”, Kingston, University of the West Indies Press, 2007, says that the “life story of Aniaso, later Archibald John Monteath, is one of the few Caribbean slave narratives to have been so far been recovered. It encapsulates the experience that converted an Igbo boy from West Africa into a slave on estates along the St. Elizabeth/Westmoreland parish borders on the Caribbean island of Jamaica”.

Some of Warner – Lewis’ extensive research was done at the Jamaica Archives as she was able to substantiate from the records in the institution many of the experiences and events Monteath describes in his remarkable life. For instance, Archibald says that –
when he arrived in Jamaica he was sold to a John Monteith, the proprietor of Kepp Estate and after a number of years, John Monteith died. From the St. Elizabeth Burial Register we know that this death took place in January 1815. Records of Kepp Estate were also found;
he was baptized into the Church at Black River and this record was found in the St Elizabeth Baptismal record for 1821;
he married Rebecca Hart, who was also a slave. He said that “ as it was market day the church was quite filled with people, the most of whom laughed at us, that we, black people would thus be married.” This marriage is the first recorded in the Church of England register of marriage of slaves for St. Elizabeth and it took place on 8th January 1826.
he was received into the Moravian Church at Carmel. That event is recorded in the Carmel Church Register for 1827.
Records at the Archives relating to Archibald Monteath have also been featured in a film about his life as a scene from the highly acclaimed documentary The Last Slave was shot at the Archives. It showed David Monteith, a descendant of Archibald, examining some of the records relating to his famous slave ancestor as David traced Archibald’s long journey from Africa to Jamaica.
[quote]
Its interesting to discover that many of the slave accounts are by the Igbo slaves.
Some people will not be happy to see this evidence o, especially that 'silent male kails supporter', who wants to deny the truth and would rather want to hear the 'caribbean folks are too mixed to locate individual ancestries' fallacy statement in a bid to support his disillusionment.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 4:18pm On Jan 22, 2013
Igbo people in Jamaica
Igbo people in Jamaica
Igbo nke Jamaika Total population
Unknown
Regions with significant populations
Primarily Western Jamaica, especially the areas of Montego Bay and Savanna-la-Mar
Languages
English, Jamaican English, Jamaican Patois (which includes Igbo words)

Religion
Christianity, Obeah practices

Related ethnic groups
Igbo people, Igbo Americans

Igbo people in Jamaica were citizens of the Caribbean island-nation of Jamaica that were a whole or a significant part descended from the Igbo people of what is now Nigeria. Most of the Igbo people arrived to Jamaica by force on slave ships and taken to plantations to work as slaves and have therefore been fully assimilated. The Igbo were documented by the British plantation owners along with other ethnicities brought to Jamaica to work as slaves. The Igbo constituted a large portion of the African population of the island in the era of the slave trade; through the banning of African traditions by European plantation owners, many on the island have lost their African identities with their ancestors adopting a creole identity. There is no official count of the amount of Jamaicans with Igbo ancestry after the abolishment of the slave trade, but there are accounts and slave documents that have listed populations of certain African ethnic groups, including the Igbo, on plantations.[1]
The Igbo culture was an important part to forging a Jamaican culture. Igbo influence on the island can be seen till this day in language, dance, music, folklore, cuisine, religion and mannerisms. Aspect of Igbo culture are visible through such things as the Obeah spirituality practised throughout the West Indies. Many words in Jamaican Patois are from the Igbo language. In Jamaica the Igbo were referred to by the black population and plantation owners by different names such as Eboe, Ebo, Red Ibo and other words such as 'Guinea man' used to describe African born people. Many Igbo women were involved in slave revolts.[2]
Originating primarily from what was known as the Bight of Biafra on the West African coast, Igbo people were taken in relatively high numbers to Jamaica as slaves. Ports from which the majority of these enslaved people were taken from included Bonny and Calabar, two port towns that are now in eastern Nigeria.[3] These ports were dominated by slave ships arriving from Bristol and Liverpool who delivered these slaves to British colonies that included Jamaica. The bulk of Igbo slaves arrived relatively late after 1750. The 18th century in the Atlantic slave trade saw the amount of enslaved Africans of Igbo descent rise by a large amount, the heaviest forced migrations between 1790 and 1807.[4] Jamaica, after Virginia, was the second most common destination for slaves arriving from the Bight of Biafra. Therefore Igbo slaves, as they formed the majority of the people on this bight, became common in the British colony of Jamaica.[5]
Igbo were spread on plantations all around Jamaica, with a higher concentration on the island's western side, specifically the areas around Montego Bay and Savanna-la-Mar.[6] Consequently the amount of Igbo influence was concentrated in the parishes of Western Jamaica; the region also witnessed a number of revolts that were attributed to people of Igbo origin. Matthew Lewis, who spent time in Jamaica in the years of 1815 to 1817 studied the way his slaves organised themselves by ethnicity when he noted, for example, that at one time he 'went down to the negro-houses to hear the whole body of Eboes lodge a complaint against one of the book-keepers'.[7]Olaudah Equiano, a prominent member of the movement of the abolition for the slave trade, was an African born Igbo ex-slave that on his life's journey in the Americas as a slave and free man, documented in his 1789 journal, was hired by a Dr. Charles Irving and recruited slaves for his 1776 Mosquito Shore scheme in Jamaica for which Equiano hired Igbo slaves which he called "My own countrymen". Equiano was especially useful to Irving for his knowledge of the Igbo language, using Equiano as a tool to maintain social order amongst his Igbo slaves in Jamaica.[8]
Most of the time Igbo slaves resorted to resistance rather than revolt and had maintained "unwritten rules of the plantation" of which plantation owners were forced to abide by.[9] Igbo influence in Jamaica is apparent in the introduction of Obeah folk magic of Igbo origin; there have been accounts of 'Eboe' slaves being 'obeahed' by each other.[7] Other influences can be seen in the Jonkonnu festival and in Jamaican patois. In Maroon music culture were songs derived from specific African ethnic groups, among these were songs called 'Ibo' which had a distinct style.[10] In Jamaica, Igbo slaves were considered suicidal. Suicide was resorted to by Igbo slaves not only for rebellion, but in the belief that after their death they will return back to Africa.[3][11] In a publication of a 1791 issue of Massachusetts Magazine, an anti-slavery poem was published called Monimba which depicted a fictional pregnant Igbo slave that committed suicide on a slave ship destined for Jamaica. The poem illustrates the stereotype of Igbo slaves in the Americas.[12][13] Igbo slaves were also distinguished by the 'yellowish' skin tones which was observed that a lot of them had which prompted the word 'red eboe' to be used to describe people with light skin tones and African features.[14].
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 4:23pm On Jan 22, 2013
Igbo people were hardly reported to have been maroons. Igbo women were paired with Coromantee (Akan) men so as to subdue the latter due to the idea that Igbo women were bound to their first born sons' birthplace.[15]
Archibald Monteith, born Aneaso, was an Igbo slave taken to Jamaica after being tricked by an African slaver. Anaeso wrote a journal about his life from when he was kidnapped from Igboland to when he became a Christian convert.[16]
After the slavery era, Igbo people also arrived on the island as indentured servants between the years of 1840 and 1864 along with a majority Congo and 'Nago' (Yoruba) servants.[17] Since the 19th century most of the citizens of Jamaica of African descent have been assimilated into the wider Jamaican society and have largely dropped ethnic associations from Africa.
Rebellions
Igbo slaves, along with 'Angolas' and 'Congoes' were most prone to be runaways. In slave runaway advertisements held in Jamaica workhouses in 1803, out of 1046 Africans, 284 were described as 'Eboes and Mocoes', 185 'Congoes', 259 'Angolas', 101 'Mandingoes', 70 Coromantees, 60 'Chamba' of Sierra Leone, 57 'Nagoes and Pawpaws', and 30 'scattering'. 187 were 'unclassified' and 488 were 'American born negroes and mulattoes'.[18]
Some popular slave rebellions involving Igbo people include:
The 1815 Igbo conspiracy in Jamaica's Saint Elizabeth Parish which involved around 250 Igbo slaves,[19] described as one of the revolts that contributed to a climate for abolition.[20] A letter by the Governor of Manchester to Bathurst on April 13, 1816[21] quoted the leaders of the rebellion on trial as saying "that 'he had all the Eboes in his hand', meaning to insinuate that all the Negroes from that Country were under his controul".[22] The plot was thwarted and several slaves were executed.
The 1816 Black River rebellion plot which according to Lewis (1834:227—28) only people of 'Eboe' origin were involved.[23] This plot was uncovered on March 22, 1816 by a novelist and absentee planter named Matthew Gregory 'Monk' Lewis, when he had recorded what Hayward (1985) calls a proto-Calypso revolutionary hymn, sung by a group of Igbo slaves led by the 'King of the Eboes'. They sung:
Oh me Good friend, Mr. Wilberforce, make we free!
God Almighty thank ye! God Almighty thank ye!
God Almighty, make we free!
Buckra in this country no make we free:
What Negro for to do? What Negro for to do?
Take force by force! Take force by force![24]
'Mr. Wilberforce' was in reference to William Wilberforce a British politician who was a leader of the movement to abolish the slave trade. 'Buckra' was a term introduced by Igbo and Efik slaves in Jamaica to refer to white slave masters.[25]
↑Jump back a section
Culture
Among Igbo cultural items in Jamaica were the Eboe, or Ibo drums popular throughout all of Jamaican music.[26] Food was also influenced, for example the Igbo word 'mba' meaning 'yam root' was used to describe a type of yam in Jamaica called 'himba'.[27][28] Igbo and Akan slaves affected drinking culture among the black population in Jamaica, using alcohol in ritual and libation. In Igboland as well as on the Gold Coast, palm wine was used on these occasions and had to be substituted by rum in Jamaica because of the absence of palm wine.[29]Jonkonnu, a parade that is held in many West Indian nations, has been attributed to the Njoku Ji 'yam-spirit cult', Okonko and Ekpe of the Igbo, and several masquerades of the Kalabari and Igbo have similar appearance to those of Jonkonnu maskers.[30]
Much of Jamaican mannerisms and gestures themselves have a wider African origin and an Igbo origin. Some examples of such behaviours are evident in the influences of the Igbo language in patois with actions such as 'sucking-teeth' coming from the Igbo 'ima osu' or 'imu oso' and 'cutting-eye' from Igbo 'iro anya'. There was also a suggestion of the Igbo introducing communication through eye movements.[31]
Language
For more details on this topic, see List of African words in Jamaican Patois.
There are several Igbo words in Jamaiican Patois that stem from the Igbo slaves that were on the island. Many of these words were added to Jamaican Patois when slaves were restricted from speaking their own languages. Many of these Igbo words still exist in Jamaican vernacular including words such as 'unu' meaning 'you (plural)',[14] 'di' which is 'to be (in state of)' which became 'de', and 'okra' a vegetable.[32]
Proverbs
Ilu in Igbo means proverbs,[33] a part of language that is very important to the Igbo. Igbo proverbs did not fail to cross the Atlantic along with the masses of enslaved Igbo people. Till today several transliterated Igbo proverbs survive in Jamaica today because of the Igbo ancestors. Some of these include:
Igbo: "He who will swallow udala seeds must consider the size of his anus"
Jamaican: "Cow must know 'ow 'im bottom stay before 'im swallow abbe [Twi 'palm nut'] seed"; "Jonkro must know what 'im a do before 'im swallow abbe seed"
Igbo: "Where are the young suckers that will grow when the old banana tree dies?"
Jamaican "When plantain wan' dead, it shoot [sends out new suckers]"
Igbo: "A man who makes trouble for other is also making one for himself"
Jamaican: "When you dig a hole/ditch for one, dig two"
Igbo: "The fly who has no one to advise it follows the corpse into the ground"
Jamaican: "Sweet-mout' fly follow coffin go a hole"; "Idle donkey follow cane-bump [the cart with cane cuttings] go a [animal] pound"
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ezeagu(m): 6:13pm On Jan 22, 2013
*Kails*:

^^that's what i said. i've highlighted my points in case you don't understand the point. cheesy grin
the black folks in the west with names like "eboe" are just as mixed as the rest of us.
not even they are only/mostly igbo.

we've been out here since the 1600s sir (1500s if you're caribbean - damn!), there is no way to only name one tribe as our ancestral group. DNA testing only traces back 5 generations and then they will claim the ancestry that comes out the most...but its still not enough to tell us ALL of our ancestry and it never will.

It is not a one way thing. There are African Americans who know or have heard fragmented stories about their ethnic origin(s) like Paul Robeson and T.D. Jakes and claim it. I defended that eboe surname particularly because there are people from the Virginia side (and other places including Jamaica and Haiti, Barbados) who actually held onto their Igbo identity and passed it onto their children for generations. While it is obvious that many in the African diaspora are mixed or have multiple heritage, there are some that have decided to only claim a lineage, sometimes this is Igbo. It's no different to the equally mixed people of European descent who would simply say they are Irish and German, or just German, even when they may have some native and African ancestry let alone other European ancestry. Then there are those whose family have lived in small communities for a long time. I guess it's left to the individual.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:03pm On Jan 22, 2013
*Kails*:
lol @ go run away.

not running. i'm just through with the thread.
i've made all of my points. wink

you dont have any points left! angry

2 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 9:51pm On Jan 22, 2013
LOL @ bigfrancis21 going HAM on this thread. cheesy Good job.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jan 22, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

you dont have any points left! angry

My point exactly.
They've already been made idi0t.

Blyss stop DYCK RIDING. Youre mad thirsty right about now.
Its pathetic. sad

Francis youre very desperate i see. Lol showing igbo influence on jamaica only proves there were igbos sent there. Not one time have i denied this. But just as youve posted that, i can post novels worth of influence from the akan and kongo ppls. I can post about how,the fulani ppl shaped our culture...does that make us one or the other? No. We are a mix of ALL. You can get mad all you want and deny all you want. Jamaicans nor AAs are only igbo.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jan 22, 2013
Special big ups to the other person who liked my post. Im glad others have enough common sense to see and accept the truth. smiley
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by MrsChima(f): 10:56pm On Jan 22, 2013
*Kails*:

the show is over...

Lol@!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 11:36pm On Jan 22, 2013
*Kails*:
Special big ups to the other person who liked my post. Im glad others have enough common sense to see and accept the truth. smiley

The losers anthem.mp3 by kails, the latest lousy slumbering artist on the block. Lmao:-D
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 3:05am On Jan 23, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

Lol@!!!!!

grin grin grin

lol i have no time for these fo0ls, sis...
they need to do just that, GTFO THE STAGE! grin grin

lol speaking of which, you remember this? grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvVWpWbKoUQ
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 11:02am On Jan 23, 2013
*Kails*:

grin grin grin

lol i have no time for these fo0ls, sis...
they need to do just that, GTFO THE STAGE! grin grin

lol speaking of which, you remember this? grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvVWpWbKoUQ
LMAO
Was he blind @ d time or what?
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 9:49pm On Jan 23, 2013
Josh090:
LMAO
Was he blind @ d time or what?

The end result of wearing dark sunglasses while walking across a stage in a dark room.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 9:50pm On Jan 23, 2013
*Kails*:

My point exactly.

Blyss stop DYCK RIDING. Youre mad thirsty right about now.
Its pathetic. sad

Francis youre very desperate i see. Lol showing igbo influence on jamaica only proves there were igbos sent there. Not one time have i denied this. But just as youve posted that, i can post novels worth of influence from the akan and kongo ppls. I can post about how,the fulani ppl shaped our culture...does that make us one or the other? No. We are a mix of ALL. You can get mad all you want and deny all you want. Jamaicans nor AAs are only igbo.

So why are are you so mad, sis?

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 7:44am On Jan 25, 2013
*Kails*:

My point exactly.

This part made me laugh real hard for days.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:07pm On Jan 25, 2013
*Kails*:

My point exactly.

Exactly! so you have already made all your points and they have been proved wrong. therefore you have run out of anymore points. which proves that you are a black loser.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by MrsChima(f): 2:12pm On Jan 25, 2013
Sis...now u r a black loser....weren't u mulatto akata a month ago??

Fake azz niggas
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 12:50am On Feb 09, 2013
ezeagu:

It is not a one way thing. There are African Americans who know or have heard fragmented stories about their ethnic origin(s) like Paul Robeson and T.D. Jakes and claim it. I defended that eboe surname particularly because there are people from the Virginia side (and other places including Jamaica and Haiti, Barbados) who actually held onto their Igbo identity and passed it onto their children for generations. While it is obvious that many in the African diaspora are mixed or have multiple heritage, there are some that have decided to only claim a lineage, sometimes this is Igbo. It's no different to the equally mixed people of European descent who would simply say they are Irish and German, or just German, even when they may have some native and African ancestry let alone other European ancestry. Then there are those whose family have lived in small communities for a long time. I guess it's left to the individual.
I JUST MADE A BIG DISCOVERY ON THE IGBO PRESENCE IN AMERICA!!!
I was doing some research on the topic and came across three african americans who still bear 'Igbo' as surname. Not just 'ebo' but full blown 'Igbo'. I caught up with them on FB. Coincidentally, two are from the same Virginia and one from Vermont. And one of them did not only bear 'Igbo' as surname but she also gave herself 'Chioma' as first name! Her picture is shown below with her two sons.
Check the Igbo AAs here:
1) Mitch Igbo
https://m.facebook.com/Y0uNgObAmA24?id=1452120086&_rdr
2) Maija Igbo
https://m.facebook.com/maija.igbo?fref=fr_tab&refid=17
3) Chioma Igbo
https://m.facebook.com/Hadassah12?fref=fr_tab&refid=17

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 12:53am On Feb 09, 2013
Mrs.Chima:
Sis...now u r a black loser....weren't u mulatto akata a month ago??

Fake azz niggas
shuut up old and razz hag
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 1:09am On Feb 09, 2013
Stumbled on another thread on NL of an AA who was able to trace her ancestry to the Igbo. She and her family were able to re-discover the original Igbo name of her male ancestor, named 'Chigozie'. Interestingly, her whole family reverted their surname back to Chigozie and hold on tightly to it.
www.nairaland.com/646298/african-american-wants-know-why

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply)

Oluwo Of Iwo And Chanel Chin Throw Jabs At Each Other / Interesting Facts About The Igbo People / Kayanmata: What I Observed At Abuja International Tradefair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.