Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,801 members, 7,956,050 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:37 PM

Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? - Fashion (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? (39096 Views)

What Kind Of Hair Do You Have? ( Pictures.. ) / Why Do Black Ladies Fix Contact Lens? / Pictures Of Hair Styles, Weave-ons, And Braids? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by kandiikane(m): 1:37am On May 17, 2011
@10cineroh, Every weave wearer does not have issues such as lack of confidence. I put in CONFIDENCE because for SOME people weave boasts their confidence. Not everyone is confident with their looks and that applies to both male and female.

I am comparing 1inch to "hair" because there are men out there who were born with that size and no it is most likely not a medically deficiency. It as common as women with small bosom.

I do not wear weave because I lack confidence, It cannot be an inferior complex because I wear both weave and my natural hair. I have only worn  fake nails twice in my entire life and I did them because of special occasions and it can not be an inferior complex cause I still wear my natural nails. Fuller lips are seen to be more attractive than thin lips. YOU have to UNDERSTAND that the majority of the media  are men and the majority of people who are into full lips are men. It might have been started to impress men but now it is part of the norm where women are not doing it to impress men anymore but themselves.

Fake eyeballs? can you make sense please.
I have also given you the reason why women wear padded bras. The woman's bosom are part of the human sexuality(you might not know this) but the bosoms of a woman can help a man determine a wife, who is fertile and someone to reproduce with. So padded bras are made to enhance  the bosom to attract the opposite sex and also to make your bosom look nicer(not every bosom have that nice, round fertile look, love).

Wearing all these things does not make one unintelligent or mean one is unintelligent. It has nothing to do with intelligence.
Yes, there are people  out there who see themselves as nothing, having low self esteem etc without wearing all these fakery but not every single weave wearer has self-confident issue.

SOME people cannot survive without all these fakery, they need it to live a normal life.
You sound very immature to not understand the reasons why women do these things. Only mature men can understand that not all weave wearers have confidence issues and that all these things are part of life.
I do not know how many times I can continue to dumb down for you because it seems like you are so deep down in your cocoon only God can save you.
All the things I listed are not needed because if you talk about going "natural" then everything should go including pads and tampons, shaving sticks, toothpaste, toothbrush etc. Use the things Eve used "LEAVES". Shaving your legs is not needed, shaving your armpit is not needed neither is shaving your pub[b]i[/b]c region.
FOR men: cutting your hair every 2weeks or so is not needed, leave it to grow, leave your beard to grow<--- I do not think you will  do that because all you know how to do is insult,insult and belittle women for things you are also guilty of.

Oh yes, lets us all go completely natural and back to the days of the cave men. Where there was no care in the world and all they did is let everything hang. Nincompoops.
HYPOCRITES. The same men coming here belittling women are the same ones at home wa[b]n[/b]king over girls with all these fakeries.

WOMEN IF SOMETHING DOES NOT LOOK GOOD ON YOU AND THERE IS A WAY TO CHANGE IT AND YOU WANT TO PLEASE DO. Real men will appreciate you for whatever you wear/do/are because you are worth it. wink
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by InkedNerd(f): 2:40am On May 17, 2011
@kanddikane: Thank you for responding to 10cirenoh as you've done. You pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. I would have responded earlier but I've been in school all day. More than half the things the things he said make absolutely no sense at all.
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by isalegan2: 3:08am On May 17, 2011
Jiah011:

I have worn my hair natural for two years now and it has been a great experience. But to do so, a woman has to re-learn her hair in a way. It takes time and effort, but with these two your hair can thrive. I have never worn weave, but I had relaxed hair all my life. Black women all over the world, not just in Naija, are conditioned to believe that they need to add something to themselves to feel beautiful, both by older women (i.e. mothers, aunts, etc), society, and to impress men. It is almost a rite of passage. Young girls wear their hair natural until a certain age, then modern culture starts changing them from the inside outward. Then once they are changed, everyone is calling them fake, with fake this and that. It's not fair. It's not easy for women to wear their natural hair and many feel like if they do, it will detract from their beauty and appeal to men, particularly black men. Black/ Nigerian men are not the ones championing natural beauty at all! Other men from other groups are doing that quite well.

Personally, I hate weave. It is obviously unnatural and can look terrible when done poorly. Hygiene is an issue for some weave-wearers who choose not to wash their hair to maintain the style. When I went to Naija last year, I was amazed at the amount of weave. I'm sure it is a million dollar business. Almost every woman I saw had some sort of attachment in her hair. But who can blame them. As Africans we should appreciate our natural beauty, but there are issues within out society that hinder us from doing so.

Great post.  But I have to disagree with the comment that Black men are not the ones championing a return to natural beauty for black women.  I'm sure you know it takes all sorts of people to make the world go round.

If you read this site often, you'll see a deluge of posts from some very vocal men complaining about the only types of women they meet being gold-diggers or what-not; conversely, there are lots of posts from some women trashing Nigerian men.  While the sensible people of both gender know that you attract the company you keep.  

Even before the fake weave was a common sight, my Nigerian grandfather was warning his daughters about using straightening combs and the dangers of putting relaxer in our hair.  He'd say, just imagine something that burns your scalp so much, after dozens and hundreds of times subjecting yourself to that, what it could be doing to the organ directly beneath your scalp.  I've seen other articles written about the health risks of hair relaxers, but I'll leave it out since it's a little removed from the crux of this thread.  

Following on the older generation's warnings, most of the people that express incredulity at the fakeness of popular hairstyles and the prevailing beauty culture of black women, are black men.  For every one black woman that expresses a desire to, or that does, maintain a natural look, you will find 10 black men that have said same - from siblings to friends to co-workers to in-laws.  I really cannot blame the men for this trend.  You must bear in mind that, because the "celebrities" maintain a certain look and men are salivating over them does not mean they prefer that for their mates.  After all, they're really attracted to more than just the hair.

P.S. Addressing other posters, I don't subscribe to the viewpoint that the style (always) shows low self-esteem or a desire to be white.  Rather, it is just the way things are.  And most girls don't question or challenge it until they are older and wiser.
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by Jiah011(f): 5:20am On May 17, 2011
@ isale_gan2: I agree with what you said and I see your point. Sometimes, I just feel like the general trend is so unfavorable. But I guess those that are close to you and sincerely care will always tell you the truth and consider the natural you most beautiful. There seems to be a difference between women that men will marry and those they'll date. I just don't like the finger pointing and calling women fake when they are doing what men respond to most. The older generation does seem to value true beauty more, but its difficult to find among the younger group and my peers. One must do a lot of sifting to find genuine people these days, both men and women. But it seems that men will pick the flashy looking women over the more reserved ones more often, even when it comes to marriage.

Calling women that wear weaves fake doesn't solve the problem. There has to be a general change in perception by black/ Nigerian men. As a Nigerian myself, I think we can do more to promote healthier interactions between men and women. It's funny because in the U.S. there seems to be a growing number of women wearing their natural hair. Blacks there often assume that African women are natural, thus Nigerians in Nigeria as well. That is a great misconception and it's laughable too, but that is a whole different debate.

But men, if no extensions/ attachments/ weaves, what do you want black women to do and how will you work to accept their change? At the end of the day, every woman wants to look and feel beautiful and she wants the men in her life to acknowledge that.
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by InkedNerd(f): 5:38am On May 17, 2011
isale_gan2:

Great post.  But I have to disagree with the comment that Black men are not the ones championing a return to natural beauty for black women.  I'm sure you know it takes all sorts of people to make the world go round.

If you read this site often, you'll see a deluge of posts from some very vocal men complaining about the only types of women they meet being gold-diggers or what-not; conversely, there are lots of posts from some women trashing Nigerian men.  While the sensible people of both gender know that you attract the company you keep.  

Even before the fake weave was a common sight, my Nigerian grandfather was warning his daughters about using straightening combs and the dangers of putting relaxer in our hair.  He'd say, just imagine something that burns your scalp so much, after dozens and hundreds of times subjecting yourself to that, what it could be doing to the organ directly beneath your scalp.  I've seen other articles written about the health risks of hair relaxers, but I'll leave it out since it's a little removed from the crux of this thread.  

Following on the older generation's warnings, most of the people that express incredulity at the fakeness of popular hairstyles and the prevailing beauty culture of black women, are black men.  For every one black woman that expresses a desire to, or that does, maintain a natural look, you will find 10 black men that have said same - from siblings to friends to co-workers to in-laws.  I really cannot blame the men for this trend.  You must bear in mind that, because the "celebrities" maintain a certain look and men are salivating over them does not mean they prefer that for their mates.  After all, they're really attracted to more than just the hair.

P.S. Addressing other posters, I don't subscribe to the viewpoint that the style (always) shows low self-esteem or a desire to be white.  Rather, it is just the way things are.  And most girls don't question or challenge it until they are older and wiser.

Although I do agree that there are people of all sorts, I must admit based on my experience and what I've heard both from people I know and don't know [random natural hair women I meet], it seems like men of other ethnic groups seem to appreciate natural hair more than black men.

Jiah011:

@ isale_gan2: I agree with what you said and I see your point. Sometimes, I just feel like the general trend is so unfavorable. But I guess those that are close to you and sincerely care will always tell you the truth and consider the natural you most beautiful. There seems to be a difference between women that men will marry and those they'll date. I just don't like the finger pointing and calling women fake when they are doing what men respond to most. The older generation does seem to value true beauty more, but its difficult to find among the younger group and my peers. One must do a lot of sifting to find genuine people these days, both men and women. But it seems that men will pick the flashy looking women over the more reserved ones more often, even when it comes to marriage.

Calling women that wear weaves fake doesn't solve the problem. There has to be a general change in perception by black/ Nigerian men. As a Nigerian myself, I think we can do more to promote healthier interactions between men and women. It's funny because in the U.S. there seems to be a growing number of women wearing their natural hair. Blacks there often assume that African women are natural, thus Nigerians in Nigeria as well. That is a great misconception and it's laughable too, but that is a whole different debate.

But men, if no extensions/ attachments/ weaves, what do you want black women to do and how will you work to accept their change? At the end of the day, every woman wants to look and feel beautiful and she wants the men in her life to acknowledge that.

It's true, especially up here in the North East. I noticed tons of girls doing the big chop and going natural. There's a natural hair blog I frequent and in one of the old posts, I remember there were African Americans and Africans talking about natural hair and a lot of the African Americans said they thought that African women were generally natural.
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by 10cirenoh: 9:56am On May 17, 2011
@kandiikane

To each his/her own, but as for me, anything natural (on women) turns me on, when i discover you tricked me, i end up disliking you even if it was never your intention, maybe it's my nature? i know i am alone in this, there are both male and female who likes people who are real up to their teeth, so lets leave it at that.

@Inked_Nerd
  I am among the few men who likes natural women, women with real hair and all that, if you can be real and still have confidence, then there's nothing on earth that can stop you or bring you down.

The major problem most women are facing now is "what they say about them" what other women prolly saying about that, any look, they read meaning to it, every step, she's thinking they are talking about her hence the reason she always want to look like them or better than them so they won't talk about her negatively. Also the way they think men look at them if they aren't "up to standard".  I am concluding this discuss by saying THERE ARE MEN OUT THERE WHO WANTS YOU FOR YOU, WHO WANTS THE REAL YOU BECAUSE AT THE END OF THE DAY, YOU WON'T KEEP WEARING THE FAKE ARMOURS, then what happens? do u start hiding indoors or walk only at night?
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by fred4alabi(m): 11:40am On May 17, 2011
i stopped giving my babe money for hairdo because she comes back and i cant see what has been done. she simply attach to her hair to make it longer. i told her i will pay whatever it cost the day she impresses me with hairdo.

i tried to make her realize i love her natural hair than attachments but she wont listen. God bless the poster for this, I've been longing for a way to purge my mind over this. Girls are loosing good men over this. i will pick my mum and grandmother's didi any day over this fixing and attachments. I appreciate girl with weaving any day. you may attach but weave it.

not only that. what about face painting, many of them have scrapped off their natural eye brow for pencil designed one. i like the natural eye brow any day. let them clean the pencil and the face appears swollen and very hairless.
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:41pm On May 17, 2011
Lmfao. congregation of the elebis.

are these dorks aware that when styles like Ghana weaving and other braidng styles such is done, additional hair is added as well?

Just dey yap mouth up and down. Like maintaining "natural hair" doesnt require money. Lol awon olodo. arguing about hair like ATL adodis grin

fred4alabi:

not only that. what about face painting, many of them have scrapped off their natural eye brow for pencil designed one. i like the natural eye brow any day. let them clean the pencil and the face appears swollen and very hairless.

That's what you get for dating your orange seller level. I personally dont know anyone who does this. Must be the new thing for your village girls
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by GeorgeD1(m): 4:29pm On May 17, 2011
armyofone:

we've got that already. i mean we are there grin i do have hazel eyes and also blue eyes thanks to a good contact lens grin
black women with thin lips do go for plastic surgery to have ponmo mouth grin

is that right? maybe our sisters should take it a step further by attaching fake p.ussies too,
or what do you think?  wink grin
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by kandiikane(m): 7:36pm On May 17, 2011
^^Many have done that too cool
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by kandiikane(m): 8:53pm On May 17, 2011
wink This make up does not make her inferior

1 Like

Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by 10cirenoh: 9:22pm On May 17, 2011
kandiikane:

wink This make up does not make her inferior

Is this a doll, a masquerade or a mascot? undecided
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by kandiikane(m): 10:06pm On May 17, 2011
^^do not make me insult you oo. cool
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by 10cirenoh: 10:23pm On May 17, 2011
^^^^

I hope that's not you? tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by kandiikane(m): 10:39pm On May 17, 2011
nah
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by obowunmi(m): 10:40pm On May 17, 2011
I feel bad for the man who takes a woman home and then realizes that she's bald ---- kaaaaiiii, I will throw that woman out of the house nAAAKKKEEEED.
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by 10cirenoh: 10:53pm On May 17, 2011
@kandiikane
Is she your role model?
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by cheikh: 11:00pm On May 17, 2011
Kandiikane
Those are the Himba people(the people that colour themselves red) and hair style. They are using clay on the hair. The women's hair are of a bigger twist

@^^  I think the man whose hair is being braided is Masai(Kenya or Tanzania) not Himba from Namibia. You are right that Himba women adorn their hair with red ochre etc.
Your profile photo --is that your you? It's lovely and looks like Salone/SeneGambia kind of face. Are you?
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by kandiikane(m): 11:06pm On May 17, 2011
^^No, he is definitely Himba
Oh no that is not me. Yes it is a Gambian girl. Yes I am all the above
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by 10cirenoh: 11:11pm On May 17, 2011
You're all of the above? what kinda answer is that?

But i am wondering why you had to put up another woman's pix to represent you, does she even know if you exist?
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by queensmith: 11:39pm On May 17, 2011
o kandikane . . . . . o andikane HOW was her hair done?? I tried to do it today it was a mess!!!!!!lol
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by tpia5: 11:40pm On May 17, 2011
i'm no expert but i'm guessing you'd need big rollers and stiff holding spray after setting the hair.

she probably didnt comb it out also.

but that style would need an experienced stylist, imo.
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by kandiikane(m): 11:52pm On May 17, 2011
@10cirinoh, stop been stup[i]i[/i]d my picture has been on my profile since the day I started on here. Yes I know who she is.

@queensmith, It was permed and gel was used to get that effect. It was most likely with hot curling irons and there is this black tint(forgot what it is called) the hair dressers in Gambia usually use to make the hair look so black.
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by Egbagirl(f): 2:23am On May 18, 2011
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by 10cirenoh: 3:16am On May 18, 2011
kandiikane:

@10cirinoh, stop been stup[i]i[/i]d my picture has been on my profile since the day I started on here. Yes I know who she is.

@queensmith, It was permed and gel was used to get that effect. It was most likely with hot curling irons and there is this black tint(forgot what it is called) the hair dressers in Gambia usually use to make the hair look so black.

C'mon, can't you see the sarcasm? see your head like leftover kpomo grin grin grin
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by kandiikane(m): 10:07am On May 18, 2011
hush grin
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by 10cirenoh: 11:59am On May 18, 2011
Where are you from again?
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by kandiikane(m): 12:34pm On May 18, 2011
Gambia/Sierra leone
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by 10cirenoh: 1:53pm On May 18, 2011
Abeg pick one jor, ok u're African! tongue

Make i see your hair to be sure cool
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by Nobody: 1:57pm On May 18, 2011
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies?

Hope the sickness causes diarrhoea, rubbish!!!
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by GeorgeD1(m): 4:52pm On May 18, 2011
kandiikane:

^^Many have done that too cool

ah, then you have unwittingly provided the answer to a nagging question:
no wonder sharp peeps are now avoiding the real thing, all the time preferring
to go down under to the unfake slit! grin wink
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by cheikh: 11:25pm On May 18, 2011
tpia
[img]http://
not sure what this guy's doing:

[/img]

@^^ please confirm the origin of the photo above. I believe he's  actually a Masai man wink. For the sake of accuracy and correct information. I believe first hand/local knowledge and "native" knowledge is better than info from Wiki or text books about us as Africans. grin Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

36-year-old Esperance Fuerzina Is Now The Most Tattooed Woman Ever. / ~ ANTM : Top Model Favourites ~ Where Are They Now? / Shatu Garko Wins 2021 Miss Nigeria Pageant (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.