Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,297 members, 7,829,688 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:33 AM

Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? - Fashion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? (38854 Views)

What Kind Of Hair Do You Have? ( Pictures.. ) / Why Do Black Ladies Fix Contact Lens? / Pictures Of Hair Styles, Weave-ons, And Braids? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by kandiikane(m): 3:14am On May 15, 2011
Ok, you have lost me, are you saying that when men think of natural hair they think of mix-race?

I think the Afro hair has been hidden for so long that men can't remember what it looked like.
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by Jenifa1: 3:15am On May 15, 2011
well, some poster was giving an example of kim kardishian as a natural woman. that totally lost me because kim k isn't even black 

lots of women still wear afros. depends on ur environment
i've worn it b4 but I stopped b'cos it attracted too much attention. lol
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by ektbear: 3:16am On May 15, 2011
Jenifa_:

I don't think I need to.
OK, no problem.

IMO when many guys talk about natural hair, they are referring to a mixed race hair. not necessarily natural hair like the one that grows from the top of their own head.
Here is what I get when I google "natural hair":

Most of those look pretty good to me.
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by ektbear: 3:17am On May 15, 2011
In fact my girls hair looks like the women at the top left of the above image
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by Jenifa1: 3:19am On May 15, 2011
well, the women who wear extensions and weaves are typically those whose hair cannot achieve that texture naturally (called "good hair" in the black community).

ex. do you think your own hair will look like that if you grow it out?
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by kandiikane(m): 3:20am On May 15, 2011
My hair can be like any of them but it is naturally like 5th but with curls closer together.
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by ektbear: 3:23am On May 15, 2011
Jenifa_:

well, the women who wear extensions and weaves are typically those whose hair cannot achieve that texture naturally (called "good hair" in the black community).
Hrm, I see undecided sad

Nope, i'm not mixed race. . . just a pure African dude. My hair when grown out is nappy as heck, and needs relaxer to straighten out. I had cornrows once, but had to use a bit of relaxer first to get something that could be braided without pain grin
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by kandiikane(m): 3:24am On May 15, 2011
Jenifa_:

That is not true, I would wear weave because I do not like Hot Ironing my hair and even if I do it goes back to normal when water touches it.
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by ektbear: 3:25am On May 15, 2011
Black woman community is pretty complicated, I guess

Some subtle stuff going on that I didn't quite pick up on before today. . .
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by kandiikane(m): 3:27am On May 15, 2011
I do not think straight hair is "good" hair but I do not mind weaves and attachments. Most of the attachments I do are curly Afros.
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by Jenifa1: 3:29am On May 15, 2011
ekt_bear:

Hrm, I see  undecided sad
Nope, i'm not mixed race. . . just a pure African dude. My hair when grown out is nappy as heck, and needs relaxer to straighten out. I had cornrows once, but had to use a bit of relaxer first to get something that could be braided without pain  grin

so why would you assume differently for women?  

those hair pictures up there are nice but  undecided not a true representation of black women's natural hair.
instead, picture nigerian deeper life women (their religion bans them from relaxing or using extensions).

kandiikane:

That is not true, I would wear weave because I do not like Hot Ironing my hair and even if I do it goes back to normal when water touches it.

I guess that's if you consider straightening to be natural. you're right
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by Jenifa1: 3:32am On May 15, 2011
ekt_bear:

Black woman community is pretty complicated, I guess

Some subtle stuff going on that I didn't quite pick up on before today. . .

ok I don't want to give you the wrong idea.  there are many women with "nice hair texture" or relaxed hair who also wear weaves. kandikane has corrected me on that. it
but my point really is that most of these guys badmouthing a woman with weaves won't go near her natural hair. lol
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by kandiikane(m): 3:32am On May 15, 2011
Jenifa what do you mean not a black woman's natural hair?

There are different varieties of Afro hair not just the "nappy" coiled up one.
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by Jenifa1: 3:34am On May 15, 2011
^ yea I know that there are varieties. what I am saying is that 90% of naija women. and at least 60% of african american women (i'm being very generous) have nappy hair.
and it's really nothing to be ashamed of.
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by kandiikane(m): 3:34am On May 15, 2011
Jenifa_:

ok I don't want to give you the wrong idea.  there are many women with "nice hair texture" or relaxed hair who also wear weaves. kandikane has corrected me on that. it
but my point really is that most of these guys badmouthing a woman with weaves won't go near her natural hair. lol

I know. The day I shaved my head and went out I heard this dude whisper to his friend "what the f[b]u[/b]ck has she done to her head"
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by ektbear: 3:34am On May 15, 2011
Jenifa_:

so why would you assume differently for women?  

those hair pictures up there are nice but  undecided not a true representation of black women's natural hair.
instead, picture nigerian deeper life women (their religion bans them from relaxing or using extensions).

I don't know what deeper life women look like. Anyway I have a sense of what you mean. I guess it explains why most black women perm, straighten, etc.

Jenifa_:

Heh. BTW, is "nice hair texture" limited to just mixed-race women? Or are there pure African women with it?

Hehe. I avoid bad weaves like the plague smiley And certain types of natural really are also a turnoff.
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by kandiikane(m): 3:37am On May 15, 2011
Jenifa_:

^ yea I know that there are varieties. what I am saying is that 90% of naija women. and at least 60% of african american women (i'm being very generous) have nappy hair.
and it's really nothing to be ashamed of.

Where did you get that information from. Where is the link to that data. Do not make me start calling you ignorant.

Please speak what you know. The majority of people with your so called nappy pepper-grain hair are in central southern Africa.

Afro hair varies in Africa and unless you have done your research or been and met every single tribe you cannot give me that percentage.
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by ektbear: 3:41am On May 15, 2011
@kandiikane: You are mixed-race, aren't you? Have some white or middle eastern ancestry?

From what I've seen, Jenifa_ is mostly right
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by Jenifa1: 3:43am On May 15, 2011
ekt_bear:

I don't know what deeper life women look like. Anyway I have a sense of what you mean. I guess it explains why most black women perm, straighten, etc.
Heh. BTW, is "nice hair texture" limited to just mixed-race women? Or are there pure African women with it?
Hehe. I avoid bad weaves like the plague smiley And certain types of natural really are also a turnoff.

no it's not limited to mixed-race women. ethiopians have it too  tongue joking
yea no it's not limited to mixed women.  but just not very common.

ex. ogugua88 has "good hair." you can tell that her non-straightened natural hair is not extremely nappy.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=profile;u=560561
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by kandiikane(m): 3:43am On May 15, 2011
@ekt,lol, Whuuuuuuuuut!! I am full black shocked shocked shocked shocked

No, she is not.
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by tpia5: 3:44am On May 15, 2011
overseas can mess black people up sometimes, when it comes to things like hair.

it's especially harder for african kids born and/or raised abroad i should think.

the males in particular- glad i'm not one. undecided
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by kandiikane(m): 3:45am On May 15, 2011
Jennif, What about the fulanis, tuaregs etc are you going to tell me they are mixed?
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by ektbear: 3:47am On May 15, 2011
Jenifa_:

no it's not limited to mixed-race women. ethiopians have it too  tongue joking
I meant West Africans, Central Africans, Southern African. Ethiopians, Eritreans, Somalis, I'm not really considering them for the purposes of this thread. They don't look the same as the rest of Africans imo

yea no it's not limited to mixed women.  but just not very common.

ex. ogugua88 has "good hair." you can tell that her non-straightened natural hair is not extremely nappy.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=profile;u=560561
I see. So how do you know her non-straightened hair isn't nappy? Like, what would it look like if her natural hair were nappy?
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by Jenifa1: 3:47am On May 15, 2011
kandiikane:

Where did you get that information from. Where is the link to that data. Do not make me start calling you ignorant.

Please speak what you know. The majority of people with your so called nappy pepper-grain hair are in central southern Africa.

Afro hair varies in Africa and unless you have done your research or been and met every single tribe you cannot give me that percentage.

pepper grain hair is an entirely different class of NAPPY  shocked!!! I know a girl with that kind of hair and it made me feel so much better about mine. she's from botswana or SA. I forgot.

I don't have data. this is just my opinion based on my experiences and reality. I know TONS of natural women so I see their hair texture.

the black girl with the very long hair is usually the exception not the rule.
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by ektbear: 3:48am On May 15, 2011
kandiikane:

@ekt,lol, Whuuuuuuuuut!! I am full black shocked shocked shocked shocked

No, she is not.

Alright, I wasn't sure.
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by ektbear: 3:49am On May 15, 2011
Jenifa_:

Exactly. Most of the black women I know with very long hair have some sort of European ancestry in them. My aunt for example, one of her grandparents (great-grandparents?) was some white dude from Portugal
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by Jenifa1: 3:50am On May 15, 2011
kandiikane:

Jennif, What about the fulanis, tuaregs etc are you going to tell me they are mixed?

see my comment about ethiopians.  tongue
I know fulanis have different texture and some of them claim to be of arabic descent.

ekt_bear:

I meant West Africans, Central Africans, Southern African. Ethiopians, Eritreans, Somalis, I'm not really considering them for the purposes of this thread. They don't look the same as the rest of Africans imo
I see. So how do you know her non-straightened hair isn't nappy? Like, what would it look like if her natural hair were nappy?

it would look like one of those girls in d pic u posted.

disclaimer: this is my opinion. ogugua herself can come on here and speak for herself. her answer might totally contradict what I said. who knows?
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by ektbear: 3:53am On May 15, 2011
Anyway, with all of this said. . . nappy head or not, perm/extension or not, African women are sexy as heck to me. I'm not one of those dudes obsessed with redbones
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by tpia5: 3:53am On May 15, 2011
this is natural black hair [not saying everybody is as cute as the lady however]:

Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by kandiikane(m): 3:54am On May 15, 2011
I do not know why Africans cannot accept diversity and variation.

This ignorances kills me.

Jenifa_:

pepper grain hair is an entirely different class of NAPPY  shocked!!! I know a girl with that kind of hair and it made me feel so much better about mine. she's from botswana or SA. I forgot.

I don't have data. this is just my opinion based on my experiences and reality. I know TONS of natural women so I see their hair texture.

OK. Describe to be "nappy". You have met a few natural woman and now you have formed data on what afro hair should look like. I bet you can now tell me what an African should look like. Oh, oh maybe you can pick me and say with the exception of my skin.

The ignorance kills me.
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by ektbear: 3:54am On May 15, 2011
@tpia: Who is that? She is very cute
Re: Is Anyone Else Sick Of Hair Attachements In Our Black Ladies? by Jenifa1: 3:58am On May 15, 2011
tpia@:

this is natural black hair [not saying everybody is as cute as the lady however]:

that's really pretty. my hair looks like that after lots of hair products and and manipulation.
yeah the face also shapes the way d hair is perceived. lol

like they say, clothes look good on the mannequin (or model) until u try it on yourself.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Sephora Ikalaba Crowned Miss Helsinki 2017 Amid Controversy (Photos) / Make-up Transformation Of A Lady With Scars On The Face / Shatu Garko Wins 2021 Miss Nigeria Pageant (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.