Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,598 members, 7,816,483 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years (17073 Views)

Fashola, Tinubu And Oba Akiolu Observe Eid Prayer (Photo) / Fashola, Tinubu Begs Igbo For Support. Pics / Agbaje’s Camp Tackles Fashola, Tinubu For Saying He's Too Old To Be Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by tpia5: 6:09pm On Jun 17, 2011
alj_harem:

Mississippi is a river that over flooded its banks

we do not experience wildfire in nigeria most ecspecially not the humid south

there is not excuss for lagos state government

my point is flooding happens every year in parts of the US.

likewise, wildfires.

lagos state govt is not superman and i'm sure will do whatever it can to alleviate the situation, but with the overpopulation of lagos, it's a very tough call.

of course telling developers and tenants not to live in or market flood prone areas, isnt an option because our suffering is too much in nigeria.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jun 17, 2011
lwkmd ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by aljharem3: 6:11pm On Jun 17, 2011
tpia@:

my point is flooding happens every year in parts of the US.

likewise, wildfires.

lagos state govt is not superman and i'm sure will do whatever it can to alleviate the situation, but with the overpopulation of lagos, it's a very tough call.

of course telling developers and tenants not to live in or market flood prone areas, isnt an option because our suffering is too much in nigeria.

my sister/wife

ok i would listen my wife kiss
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by ektbear: 6:11pm On Jun 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

http://lspwc-ng.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=114:state-of-roads-lagosians-urged-to-be-more-patient&catid=47:press-release&Itemid=115

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Anyway, at topic, fixing drainage needs to be a high priority over the next year if we want to prevent a repeat.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by hackney(m): 6:11pm On Jun 17, 2011
They should have at least built a good heavy duty drainage system knowing the area.

Oh, wait , someone ate the money.
monkeys
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by EkoIle1: 6:13pm On Jun 17, 2011
satani22:

Now i know your reasoning level is below average and would stop at nothing in defense of killing your family when it comes to any matter regarding ACN, Tinubu or Fashola.Why dont u ask urself is that the only cause that can be attributed to the drainage challenges being experienced in Lagos or that some pple have failed in doing the right thing? ignorance isn't an excuse
Now i know that u also have eye,reading and comprehension problem

Apart from Nature, the primary challenge facing Lagosians with flooding remains with Lagosians anf their indifference and ignorance per drainage blockage.

What about people building on and obstructing the drainage systems?

What about everybody and their mama dumping trash into the drainage system?

Your is nothing but a misplaced and misguided anger.

I still want you to prove to me that the state did not build any drainage system within the last 12 years?
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jun 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

Yes, this is nature, not some man made stop and go occurrence.

Oloorun
, if there's a proper drainage system in place Lagos would not get flooded like this after just three or four hours rain.
Going by your brain-dead arguments, if it rains for an entire day straight we should all drown.

Internet Muuumuuu
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by armyofone(m): 6:14pm On Jun 17, 2011
so sad, hope they are able to do something abt the water so that life will go on quickly. the flooding in the US, Army Corps of Engineers are always at work. Hopefully the Nigerian Army Engineers will do something to help.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by aljharem3: 6:15pm On Jun 17, 2011
ziddy:

Oloorun
, if there's a proper drainage system in place Lagos would not get flooded like this after just three or four hours rain.
Going by your brain-dead arguments, if it rains for an entire day straight we should all drown.

Internet Muuumuuu

gbamammm

people need to stop debated with this ideeiot called eko ile

he is just saying rubbish to make acn/tinubu/fashola look good instead of looking at it objectively
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Ikengawo: 6:17pm On Jun 17, 2011
LOL so nigerians think the government controls the weather too? wooooww!
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by ChiDalu1: 6:18pm On Jun 17, 2011
As per the issue of drainage, Lagosians are also not helping matters at all. People empty their trash in gutters and on the streets, why wont the drainges be blocked?!. I am not trying to support Fashola unneccessarily but the guy is trying abeg. He is doing a lot right now in the area of road & proper drainage construction. It will take a while for us to see the whole effect. Cut d guy some slack abeg, Rome wasn't buiolt in a day!
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by aljharem3: 6:19pm On Jun 17, 2011
Ikengawo:

lol nigerians think the government could have done something to prevent flooding in an already known flood prone area woooww!
mumu
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by ektbear: 6:20pm On Jun 17, 2011
Ikengawo:

Very moronic post
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Wallie(m): 6:21pm On Jun 17, 2011
Here’s a fact: the highest point in all the islands in Lagos is only 22 feet (7 meters) above sea level. That means that the lower lying areas will always witness flood when there’s heavy rain as the surrounding lagoons will start back-flowing. When you compound the topological problems with blocked-drainage, you will get pure wahala!

The bottom line is that water has to flow somewhere and only travels downhill. If water has to travel uphill, then you better get your pumps ready and protect your city with a levee.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by aljharem3: 6:22pm On Jun 17, 2011
Chi-Dalu:

As per the issue of drainage, Lagosians are also not helping matters at all. People empty their trash in gutters and on the streets, why wont the drainges be blocked?!. I am not trying to support Fashola unneccessarily but the guy is trying abeg. He is doing a lot right now in the area of road & proper drainage construction. It will take a while for us to see the whole effect. Cut d guy some slack abeg, Rome wasn't buiolt in a day!

here comes sentimentality again

ask urself this question why did you elect a person?

is it not to sever the people that elected him in the position at the first place

rome was not built in a day but was built with brains and not mediocrity and sentiments

the guy is doing what excatly, i ask

he is not even building new road,he is patching the old road

eko altantic is not even the states project

so what is he doing
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by ladej(m): 6:23pm On Jun 17, 2011
alj_harem:

thank you

usa cities below sea level

Death Valley
Badwater, Death Valley, USA [−86 m (−282.2 ft)]
Furnace Creek Airport (L06), Death Valley, USA [−64 m (−210.0 ft)]
Salton Sink, USA [−66 m (−216.5 ft)]
Bombay Beach, California, USA [−69 m (−226.4 ft)]
Brawley, California, USA [−37 m (−121.4 ft)]
Calipatria, California, USA [−56 m (−183.7 ft)]
Coachella, California, USA [−22 m (−72.2 ft)]
Desert Shores, California, USA [−61 m (−200.1 ft)]
El Centro, California, USA [−12 m (−39.4 ft)]
Heber, California, USA [−5 m (−16.4 ft)]
Holtville, California, USA [−3 m (−9.8 ft)]
Imperial, California, USA [−18 m (−59.1 ft)]
Indio, California, USA [−6 m (−19.7 ft)]
Niland, California, USA [−43 m (−141.1 ft)]
Salton City, California, USA [−38 m (−124.7 ft)]
Salton Sea Beach, California, USA [−67 m (−219.8 ft)]
Seeley, California, USA [−13 m (−42.7 ft)]
Thermal, California, USA [−37 m (−121.4 ft)]
Westmorland, California, USA [−48 m (−157.5 ft)]
New Orleans, USA [−2 m (−6.6 ft)]
Laguna Salada, Mexico [−10 m (−32.8 ft)]
Lago Enriquillo, Dominican Republic [−46 m (−150.9 ft)]

for nigeria

While reflecting on causes of damage to roads, the Executive Chairman said that due to the fact that most parts of Lagos are on the average of two metres below sea level,

http://lspwc-ng.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=114:state-of-roads-lagosians-urged-to-be-more-patient&catid=47:press-release&Itemid=115

lagos is on the average 2 meter below sea level

now compare it to other cities posted above
good comeback
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Dedax(m): 6:23pm On Jun 17, 2011
If you cannot proffer a solution to the challenges of flooding please just keep quiet.
If you know the solution let us hear it, let them know it.
Yes it is there and a big painful problem.
However know that people who are far from idiots are brainstorming day and night to find a solution.

Next time you dispose any sort of rubbish inappropriately or fail to let your clueless neighbor sweeping dirt into the gutters know the error of his way,
please realize that YOU are the one flooding Lagos. Stop ranting and be a solution instead of looking for someone to blame.
The Governor is an individual. What can he do to better society where everyone believes being decent and responsible is another "fool's" duty.

In most places the drainage facilities are there, it is mostly the complacency and irresponsibility of we citizens that is flooding Lagos.

Stop throwing blame and get down to being part of the solution.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by EkoIle1: 6:24pm On Jun 17, 2011

Oloorun

Internet Muuumuuu

Of was use is your drainage system with every ignorant lagosian is building on the drainage system and dumping trash into the drainage system

Also about the US pictures I posted, do you mean the states involved should have done something to since they experience the same thing every year?

You are not making any sense.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by aljharem3: 6:26pm On Jun 17, 2011
ladej:

good comeback

thank you

alj_harem:

thank you

usa cities below sea level

Death Valley
Badwater, Death Valley, USA [−86 m (−282.2 ft)]
Furnace Creek Airport (L06), Death Valley, USA [−64 m (−210.0 ft)]
Salton Sink, USA [−66 m (−216.5 ft)]
Bombay Beach, California, USA [−69 m (−226.4 ft)]
Brawley, California, USA [−37 m (−121.4 ft)]
Calipatria, California, USA [−56 m (−183.7 ft)]
Coachella, California, USA [−22 m (−72.2 ft)]
Desert Shores, California, USA [−61 m (−200.1 ft)]
El Centro, California, USA [−12 m (−39.4 ft)]
Heber, California, USA [−5 m (−16.4 ft)]
Holtville, California, USA [−3 m (−9.8 ft)]
Imperial, California, USA [−18 m (−59.1 ft)]
Indio, California, USA [−6 m (−19.7 ft)]
Niland, California, USA [−43 m (−141.1 ft)]
Salton City, California, USA [−38 m (−124.7 ft)]
Salton Sea Beach, California, USA [−67 m (−219.8 ft)]
Seeley, California, USA [−13 m (−42.7 ft)]
Thermal, California, USA [−37 m (−121.4 ft)]
Westmorland, California, USA [−48 m (−157.5 ft)]
New Orleans, USA [−2 m (−6.6 ft)]
Laguna Salada, Mexico [−10 m (−32.8 ft)]
Lago Enriquillo, Dominican Republic [−46 m (−150.9 ft)]

for nigeria

While reflecting on causes of damage to roads, the Executive Chairman said that due to the fact that most parts of Lagos are on the average of two metres below sea level,

lagos is on the average 2 meter below sea level

now compare it to other cities posted above

eko ile tell us now

this are the figures before u start saying rubbish
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by EkoIle1: 6:28pm On Jun 17, 2011
alj_harem:

here comes sentimentality again

ask urself this question why did you elect a person?

is it not to sever the people that elected him in the position at the first place

rome was not built in a day but was built with brains and not mediocrity and sentiments

the guy is doing what excatly, i ask[b]

he is not even building new road,he is patching the old road [/b]

eko altantic is not even the states project

so what is he doing

You are a lair, we've posted pictures of so many new roads and bridges in Lagos.

Olodo,
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Wallie(m): 6:28pm On Jun 17, 2011
ziddy:

Oloorun

Internet Muuumuuu

The answer to your question depends on how fast the rain is falling! If it rains for an entire day but the rain per inches per time is very little, the drainage might be able to keep up and successfully drain all the water. However, if the rain per inches is very high in a short amount of time, even the best drainage system in the world will flood, which is why you have flash-flooding.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by ronkebp(f): 6:30pm On Jun 17, 2011
Eko-Ile, leave them joor, as if they themselves if they give them a chance to rule, they would immediately build drainage system, Despite all what the governor is doing, people no still dey satisfied, e be God, ? must he do everything? infact, no, can he do everything, ?
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Kobojunkie: 6:30pm On Jun 17, 2011
Much of the city is NOT below sea level. Most parts are still at least 5 meters above sea-level, flooding is a problem in ALL parts of the state. As of 2004, the highest point on Lagos island was submitted to have been about 7 meters above sea level.

There are rarely hurricanes/Tornadoes in Lagos each year for one to compare Lagos to cities in places like Louisiana, or Mississippi etc. many of which are below sea level and experience flooding every other year.

This problem is simply caused as a result of improper drainage. If you had lived in the same Lagos back in the 70's/80's you would know that the problem was never this bad. Even Ikorodu now experiences serious flooding, something that was rare back only 10 years ago.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by satani22: 6:31pm On Jun 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

Apart from Nature, the primary challenge facing Lagosians with flooding remains with Lagosians anf their indifference and ignorance per drainage blockage.

I still want you to prove to me that the state did not build any drainage system within the last 12 years?

guy i like honest pple and not just mere fanatics.i will show u somethings i just read online now.i reside in Ikoyi and working Ikoyi.I ve been a witness to many problems.like i did posted,in the op, theres a reclamation being done presently and directly opposite Dolphin estate which used to be the main in flow of drainage from Dolphin.everyone knows that this reclamation is one of the causes of the problems we Ikoyi residents face.

Study lists causes of Ikoyi, Victoria Island floods

EXCESSIVE rainfall coupled with design[b] defects of drainage channels have been blamed for the protracted flooding of the high-brow neighbourhood of Ikoyi and Victoria Island.[/b]

Results of the data collected show that flooding of the Victoria Island and Ikoyi is predominantly caused by excessive rains which are very prevalent during the months of June, July, September and October.

To alleviate the menace of these flood-prone neighbourhoods, the study recommended that some drainage channels must be re-routed to increase their efficiency; repair some of the concrete channels, while earthen channels have to be built with concrete; while screen bars should be installed along some drainage channels.

Others included fencing of some drainage channels to discourage people from using them as dump sites; increase the beach height along the Bar Beach above astronomical high tides; construct new channels and rehabilitate old ones with enough drainage heads; embark on a comprehensive survey of all drainage channels, and sustained public enlightenment to discourage residents from dumping their refuse into drainage channels.

http://www.unesco.org/csi/act/lagos/flood5.htm

its clear from the above that theres much to be done by the government. that's my point no fight against any government
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by aljharem3: 6:31pm On Jun 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

You are a lair, we've posted pictures of so many new roads and bridges in Lagos.

Olodo,

keep deceiving yourself, lagos state gets 250 billion every year that is apart from the fg allocations where as all the money gone to, let me guess to tinubus bellview,.lol

now lagos state is denying 20 billion every month, like we are dumb

keep decieving urself and ur followers
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by MMM2(m): 6:33pm On Jun 17, 2011
aba is now improving more than lag. angry
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by emmke(m): 6:33pm On Jun 17, 2011
Really quite sad. But i thought some of u southerners are quite happy that there is desert encroachment up north? U see. Dont wish bad on others. There's a God afterall.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by aljharem3: 6:34pm On Jun 17, 2011
M M M:

aba is now improving more than lag. angry

shattap my friend, aba wey be like pig house angry
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Sunofgod(m): 6:34pm On Jun 17, 2011
Farewell Lagos:

Sea level rise threatens Lagos

According to the new UN-HABITAT’s report, titled, ‘The State of African Cities 2010: Governance, Inequality and Urban Land Markets’, more than 25 per cent of Africa’s population, of about one billion people, who live within 100 km from the coast will be at risk from sea level rise and coastal flooding over the coming decades due to climate change.

This means that the whole of Lagos State will be overtaken by the ocean, considering that Ifako-Ijaiye, the north-most part of the state, which is farthest from the ocean, is just about 40 km from the coastline measured in a straight line. In recent times, environmentalists have raised alarmed over climate change and its effect which include sea level rise. Of major concern has been the city of Lagos, which the commercial capital of Nigeria and indeed the largest commercial hub in West Africa. Though without exact figures, the Nigeria Institute of Oceanography and Marine Research, NIOMR, have show evidence of sea level rise in the adjacent Atlantic Ocean, with considerable loss of land. According to the agency, the regular occurrence of shipwreck on the Lagos shoreline, in which the wrecks are not removed for months, result to the acceleration of the coastal erosion which is naturally occurring along the coast.
The evidence

The evidences include the erosion of beaches like Bar Beach and Alpha Beach; with the latter gradually disappearing. Goshen Beach Estate, Lekki, is currently being threatened by the ocean. The estate, which was built in 2003 with the ocean over 100 metres away, is now less than 20 metres from the shoreline. If the trend continues, Larry Awosika, Head of Marine Geology and Geophysics Department of NIOMR, says the estate will be claimed by the ocean in a few years. Most parts of Lagos are less than five metres above sea level; with some places being at sea level and below. However, massive construction projects stand on the areas close to the ocean, like Ikoyi and Victoria Island, including Lekki Peninsula, which is a reclaimed land.

Regina Folorunsho, of NIOMR, said these heavy structure which are still being constructed on these islands are resulting to subsidence, which is the lowering of the land due compaction under heavy load. “They are just constructing large building and heavy structures; nobody is trying to find out the rate of subsidence,” she said. “If they continue to put these heavy structures here they will be lowering the land and it will make the effect of the sea rise come faster.”

Other places

The report shows similar effects are already being experienced along other parts of the Africa coast where beaches and dune ridges show evidence of retreat, varying from between a loss of about 1 to 2 metres annually in Senegal to between 20 and 30 metres along the Gulf of Guinea. The Dakar coast, for instance, with 50,000 individuals per square km, is one of the most densely populated in Western Africa, and a storm surge disaster could easily affect 75,000 residents. The report states that Africa will suffer disproportionately from the negative effects of climate change despite contributing less than 5 per cent of global green house emissions.

“Already confronted by innumerable problems related to economic development and urbanisation, African countries have to now address the negative effects of climate change despite being minimal contributors to green house emissions,” said Joan Clos, Executive Director of UN-HABITAT. “The slums of African cities are already witnessing increased numbers of environmental refugees. Whatever the reasons, this is the time to act. African cities can adopt measures to reduce vulnerability and mitigation measures should be put in place. With strategic urban planning that improves slums and rationalizes urban mobility and energy consumption, cities can be part of the solution.”

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5647710-146/sea_level_rise_threatens_lagos_.csp
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by aljharem3: 6:34pm On Jun 17, 2011
emmke:

Really quite sad. But i thought some of u southerners are quite happy that there is desert encroachment up north? U see. Dont wish bad on others. There's a God afterall.

u dey mind them
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by ektbear: 6:36pm On Jun 17, 2011
I would much rather fight the sea than the desert. Dutch at least have figured out how to fight the sea for 100s of years now. Desert? Dunno anyone who has defeated that
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by shawonlese: 6:36pm On Jun 17, 2011
In everything, give thanks.

Whilst you are lamenting, someone is happy for the transformation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Police Uncover Plot By Terrorists To Attack Abuja Transport / IPOB Vs Orji Uzor Kalu: How IPOB Lawyers Were Dribbled – Ejiofor Alleges / IPOB Denounces Cannibalism, Says Cannibals Arrested In South-East Not Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.