Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,482 members, 7,816,140 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:22 AM

Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years (17069 Views)

Fashola, Tinubu And Oba Akiolu Observe Eid Prayer (Photo) / Fashola, Tinubu Begs Igbo For Support. Pics / Agbaje’s Camp Tackles Fashola, Tinubu For Saying He's Too Old To Be Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Hardeyorlah(f): 6:39pm On Jun 17, 2011
Fashola is during a gud work but he nids to concentrate on d drainage system.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by EkoIle1: 6:39pm On Jun 17, 2011
alj_harem:

thank you

eko ile tell us now

this are the figures before u start saying rubbish

Of course, you know I enjoy exposing your ignorance and dumbness.

Most of the places you listed like the Death Valley which is the lowest point in California is in the desert, they don't even get any rain, infact, the whole place evaporates water. Btw, I've visited the place several times including indio, imperial valley, el centro and salton.

Indio is in the desert after palm springs

Salton is also in the desert

Imperial valley is a farming community in central California and they survive with water aqueducts from the Colorado

These are dry areas and they hardly get any rain talk less flodding.

You and the other ignorant poster failed to assimilate the below sea level context.

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Badwater_Basin
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by satani22: 6:39pm On Jun 17, 2011
ronkebp:

Eko-Ile, leave them joor, as if they themselves if they give them a chance to rule, they would immediately build drainage system, Despite all what the governor is doing, people no still dey satisfied, e be God, ? must he do everything? infact, no, can he do everything, ?
this statement depicts ignorance.why were they elected in the first place?isnt it to correct the errors? Fashola is doing an excellent job.To me he is the best ever governor to rule lagos state beside jakande but this drainage can make pple loose thier lives and properties worth billions.im a witness to all these.didnt u see cars and a whole ground floor apartment in a lekki residence overtaken by the flood? pls put ur self in pples shoes
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by bisiaet: 6:41pm On Jun 17, 2011
This is so sad I really pity people who lost their property and even loved ones in this flooding. I also symphatise with the Lagos state Government because this is going cost them a lot. I think proper drainage should be focus on now to avert the reoccurence of this flooding. So sad indeed.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Kobojunkie: 6:42pm On Jun 17, 2011
Yes, drainage issues, and transportation(de-congestion especially) are the most important or should be topmost priority in Lagos. Tinubu missed the opportunity to tackle just one at least in his 8-12 years of sitting as governor of this state, and if Fashola ends up  not completely tackling the drainage problem, then it is likely that 8 years from now, we will still be talking of this issue. Only that by then, we will probably looking for ways to move the whole state as the sea level would have risen to point of no return.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by GAR3TH(m): 6:42pm On Jun 17, 2011
I'm not surprised because its natural, lagos sits at the mouth of the ogun river and many other smaller tributaries. Lagos also sits on a delta and many parts of lagos is below or just above sea level. Flooding has been going on in the area even before the Portuguese arrived. So to blame it on tinubu and/or fashola is just childish. Isn' it the people who built their homes in flood prone areas during the population boom.

Common drains will not fix the flooding lagos has, you'll need a massive engineering feat, constructing flood tunnels, Pump systems and underground silos. All this in an integrated drainage master plan

But the reason why fashion and other governors of lagos haven't done this is because of the cost. Lagos doesn't have the money to build what I wrote above ( ex. $ 10 Billion).

Here is an example of part Tokyo's drainage system, Do you think Lagos has enough cash to build modern drainage systems like this all over the state.

[flash=425,349]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1VIepfMLbA?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by aljharem3: 6:43pm On Jun 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Much of the city is NOT below sea level. Most parts are still at least 5 meters above sea-level, flooding is a problem in ALL parts of the state.  As of 2004, the highest point on Lagos island was submitted to have been about 7 meters above sea level.

There are rarely hurricanes/Tornadoes in Lagos each year for one to compare Lagos to cities in places like Louisiana, or Mississippi etc. many of which are below sea level and experience flooding every other year.

This problem is simply caused as a result of improper drainage. If you had lived in the same Lagos back in the 70's/80's you would know that the problem was never this bad. Even Ikorodu now experiences serious flooding, something that was rare back only 10 years ago.

well said kobo kiss kiss kiss kiss

Wallie:

The answer to your question depends on how fast the rain is falling! If it rains for an entire day but the rain per inches per time is very little, the drainage might be able to keep up and successfully drain all the water. However, if the rain per inches is very high in a short amount of time, even the best drainage system in the world will flood, which is why you have flash-flooding.

no sir

flash floods are caused when the water does not have any where to go and thus move from a region of high gradient to a region of low gradient. this occurs mostly on clay soils because the soil is compact and does not absorb water that fast unlake other type of soil

lagos on the other hand is most sandy and humus soil because of its close proximity to the shore,

nature always move from to a region of high entropy, thus if rain falls in lagos, it is natural for the water to move down stream (provided there is a good drainage)

if the amount of rain per unite area per time is high, provide there is a good drainage, we would not experience flooding because apart from the drainage, we have a sandy, humus soil in lagos

the only way lagos can be flooded is if the lagoon over flood it's banks which is very unliklly because it is connected to the ocean and the amount of water lagos/ogun can hold will be insignificant to the amount of water in the ocean

thus the flood is caused by no proper drainage.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by EkoIle1: 6:43pm On Jun 17, 2011
alj_harem:

keep deceiving yourself, lagos state gets 250 billion every year that is apart from the fg allocations where as all the money gone to, let me guess to tinubus bellview,.lol

now lagos state is denying 20 billion every month, like we are dumb

keep decieving urself and your followers

Like I said, you are a lair.

I still need you to prove to us that Fashoa is not building roads in Lagos.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by aljharem3: 6:45pm On Jun 17, 2011
GAR3TH:

I'm not surprised because its natural, lagos sits at the mouth of the ogun river and many other smaller tributaries. Lagos also sits on a delta and many parts of lagos is below or just above sea level. Flooding has been going on in the area even before the Portuguese arrived. So to blame it on tinubu and/or fashola is just childish. Isn' it the people who built their homes in flood prone areas during the population boom.

Common drains will not fix the flooding lagos has, you'll need a massive engineering feat, constructing flood tunnels, Pump systems and underground silos. All this in an integrated drainage master plan

But the reason why fashion and other governors of lagos haven't done this is because of the cost. Lagos doesn't have the money to build what I wrote above ( ex. $ 10 Billion).

Here is an example of part Tokyo's drainage system, Do you think Lagos has enough cash to build modern drainage systems like this all over the state.

wrong, because that is the more reason it should not be flooded
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by hercules07: 6:46pm On Jun 17, 2011
Victoria Island is the worst hit when it comes to flooding, it is partly due to bad drainage system, blocked drainages, people building on the drainages and the sea level issue, Lagos Island is well drained, the Central Business district is very very well drained, most of the mainland is also well drained though we have a lot of blocked drainages.
The Fashola goverment needs to demolish a lot of houses and should work on the drainages, Lagosians need to stop blocking drainages, they need to stop throwing rubbish in the drainage system, we also need our drainages to be fully covered.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by EkoIle1: 6:46pm On Jun 17, 2011
satani22:

this statement depicts ignorance.why were they elected in the first place?isnt it to correct the errors? Fashola is doing an excellent job.To me he is the best ever governor to rule lagos state beside jakande but this drainage can make pple loose thier lives and properties worth billions.im a witness to all these.didnt u see cars and a whole ground floor apartment in a lekki residence overtaken by the flood? pls put your self in pples shoes

Instead of your fake outrage, shouldn't you be advising Lagosians to start respecting the drainage system? Every household and street is blessed with one outside.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by aljharem3: 6:47pm On Jun 17, 2011
hercules07:

Victoria Island is the worst hit when it comes to flooding, it is partly due to bad drainage system, blocked drainages, people building on the drainages and the sea level issue, Lagos Island is well drained, the Central Business district is very very well drained, most of the mainland is also well drained though we have a lot of blocked drainages.
The Fashola goverment needs to demolish a lot of houses and should work on the drainages, Lagosians need to stop blocking drainages, they need to stop throwing rubbish in the drainage system, we also need our drainages to be fully covered.

now you are talking
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by lafuria1(m): 6:48pm On Jun 17, 2011
wen goin 2 work dis mrnin every where was flooded while it was raining, but after d rain stoped, d flood werent dia anymore d only prblm was dat, dirt were littered around 4rm d drinage. Rite nw i am at oyingbo, it doesnt luk like it rained y, gud drinage.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by ektbear: 6:49pm On Jun 17, 2011
Interesting vid, GAR3TH. Thanks.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by satani22: 6:50pm On Jun 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Yes, drainage issues, and transportation(de-congestion especially) are the most important or should be topmost priority in Lagos. Tinubu missed the opportunity to tackle just one at least in his 8-12 years of sitting as governor of this state, and if Fashola ends up  not completely tackling the drainage problem, then it is likely that 8 years from now, we will still be talking of this issue. Only that by then, we will probably looking for ways to move the whole state as the sea level would have risen to point of no return.

Nice one madam.u hit the nail on the head.i will not come up here to post poo just for fun's sake.Tinubu didnt perform to expectation. Fashola is trying to rebuild Lagos from the scratch.The work should have been easier if Tinubu had done half of what Fashola did in 4years in the 8yrs Bola Tinubu spent in Power.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by lafuria1(m): 6:51pm On Jun 17, 2011
wen goin 2 work dis mrnin every where was flooded while it was raining, but after d rain stoped, d flood werent dia anymore d only prblm was dat, dirt were littered around 4rm d drinage. Rite nw i am at oyingbo, it doesnt luk like it rained y, gud drinage.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by lafuria1(m): 6:52pm On Jun 17, 2011
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by adejoro75: 6:52pm On Jun 17, 2011
Eko ti baje, te le te le  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by senator2b: 6:54pm On Jun 17, 2011
to all you dump heads if USA culd be experiencing this flood issues what is Lagos beside USA for once let us applaud our able governor he has greatly wat other governors culdn't achieve , and if look all those morums tat are talking go to their state and c the state of roads in there. God punish Bad pple them, Gov Fashola  cool cool
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by hercules07: 6:56pm On Jun 17, 2011
Fashola is fixing the drainages, if Lagosians were not dirty people, most of the drainages will not be blocked. I can see that most of the major road constructions that are being done do have good drainages.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by satani22: 6:59pm On Jun 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

Instead of your fake outrage, shouldn't you be advising Lagosians to start respecting the drainage system? Every household and street is blessed with one outside.  
guy im trying to control my temper so as not to go down to ur reasoning level to start arguing or picking an e-fight over faceless forum yet u are posting poo the more.if u had eyes and read the op,i made it clear that part of the problem is from the pple but the larger share goes to the state that has all the arsenal to control and address the issues at hand. if arent seeing beyond ur fanaticism,it would be better u steer clear quoting my post
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by MMM2(m): 7:06pm On Jun 17, 2011
alj_harem

ok open ur mouth. shocked angry
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by BabaO2: 7:11pm On Jun 17, 2011
Fashola and Tinubu should drink or mop the water or what? i dont understand.
If people are foolish enough to go and arrange blocks on the course of drainage or below water level or in a swampy land mere because there was no water during dry season is the reason why they are stupid.
Most of the comments  here are malicious.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by aljharem3: 7:13pm On Jun 17, 2011
M M M:

alj_harem

ok open your mouth. shocked angry

for what angry
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by kq(m): 7:15pm On Jun 17, 2011
Guys(Eko Ile, alj harem) please lets make this discussion as interesting and intellctual as possible lets stop all this sentimental insults we are hurling at ourselves. Whether the government is doing anything or not we are all agreed that Lagos is prone to flooding not just because of drainage but because of the states topography and environment. Like it was mentioned it is not an easy feat even in engineering terms to solve the problem, because of the nature of the terrain coupled with the heavy rainfall, Lagos will likely still witness flooding even with all the engineering designs in place. Instead of bashing or praising the government lets not forget that development is a continuous process and does not have a stopping point. because as you are solving one problem another problem rears its ugly head. "there is chaos in order and order in chaos"
@gare3th ekt_bear and satani22 thank you for your discussions so far.

@ evryone Eko o ni ba je, o ba je ti
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by aljharem3: 7:17pm On Jun 17, 2011
kq:

Guys(Eko Ile, alj harem) please lets make this discussion as interesting and intellctual as possible lets stop all this sentimental insults we are hurling at ourselves. Whether the government is doing anything or not we are all agreed that Lagos is prone to flooding not just because of drainage but because of the states topography and environment. Like it was mentioned it is not an easy feat even in engineering terms to solve the problem, because of the nature of the terrain coupled with the heavy rainfall, Lagos will likely still witness flooding even with all the engineering designs in place. Instead of bashing or praising the government lets not forget that development is a continuous process and does not have a stopping point. because as you are solving one problem another problem rears its ugly head. "there is chaos in order and order in chaos"

@ evryone Eko o ni ba je, o ba je ti

well said
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by EkoIle1: 7:18pm On Jun 17, 2011
satani22:

guy im trying to control my temper so as not to go down to your reasoning level to start arguing or picking an e-fight over faceless forum yet u are posting poo the more.if u had eyes and read the op,i made it clear that part of the problem is from the pple but the larger share goes to the state that has all the arsenal to control and address the issues at hand. if arent seeing beyond your fanaticism,it would be better u steer clear quoting my post

The government's job is to provide drainage/gutter which is located in front of nearly all the houses in Lagos state, it is the people's responsibility to make the drainage system doesn't turn into refuse dump.

The state is not dumping trash into the drainage, people are

I remember during the governor debate, Fashola and Mr Randle spared because Mr Randle obstructed the drainage he built his house on the drainage system  and the state marked it for demolition.

Saying the state is not doing anything about the drainage system in Lagos state is a reflection of your ignorance and lack of any knowledge about the state of Lagos.

So far, the only poo I see is the one flowing out of your mouth.

Like they say, Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by EkoIle1: 7:23pm On Jun 17, 2011
alj_harem:

well said

Look at this olodo saying well said. Was I not saying the same thing? Like I said, you are even worse that a freeking troll, your clownish and clueless behavior is really nauseating.

Whether the government is doing anything or not we are all agreed that Lagos is prone to flooding not just because of drainage but because of the states topography and environment. Like it was mentioned it is not an easy feat even in engineering terms to solve the problem, because of the nature of the terrain coupled with the heavy rainfall, Lagos will likely still witness flooding even with all the engineering designs in place.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Sicherheit(m): 7:24pm On Jun 17, 2011
Have you asked yourself why the drainages are used as garbage dump? Maybe if the govt provided a good refuse pick up system, people would be less inclined to put their trash in the drainages.  undecided
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by aljharem3: 7:25pm On Jun 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

Look at this olodo saying well said. Was I not saying the same thing? Like I said, you are even worse that a freeking troll, your clownish and clueless behavior is really nauseating.  

kq:

@ evryone Eko o ni ba je,  o ba je ti

read ,
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by EkoIle1: 7:25pm On Jun 17, 2011
alj_harem:

well said

Olodo looking for flood in Death Valley. It's like saying men can conceive and give birth.

Whether the government is doing anything or not we are all agreed that Lagos is prone to flooding not just because of drainage but because of the states topography and environment. Like it was mentioned it is not an easy feat even in engineering terms to solve the problem, because of the nature of the terrain coupled with the heavy rainfall, Lagos will likely still witness flooding even with all the engineering designs in place.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by ektbear: 7:26pm On Jun 17, 2011
Sicherheit:

Have you asked yourself why the drainages are used as garbage dump? Maybe if the govt provided a good refuse pick up system, people would be less inclined to put their trash in the drainages.  undecided

Very silly response.

Is it the government's job to provide refuse pickup? Surely there is a private firm you can pay to pick up your trash even if the government doesn't provide it.

Granted, government should do it. But even if it doesn't, nobody has to tell even an animal not to sh1t where it sleeps and eats.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

PDP Behind Economic Crisis In Osun – APC / Beaten By Soldiers At Okene For Trying To Video Them / Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.