Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,651 members, 7,816,667 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:48 PM

Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years (17075 Views)

Fashola, Tinubu And Oba Akiolu Observe Eid Prayer (Photo) / Fashola, Tinubu Begs Igbo For Support. Pics / Agbaje’s Camp Tackles Fashola, Tinubu For Saying He's Too Old To Be Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by aljharem3: 7:26pm On Jun 17, 2011
Sicherheit:

Have you asked yourself why the drainages are used as garbage dump? Maybe if the govt provided a good refuse pick up system, people would be less inclined to put their trash in the drainages.  undecided

now someone is talking sense
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by aljharem3: 7:27pm On Jun 17, 2011
ekt_bear:

Very silly response.

Is it the government's job to provide refuse pickup? Surely there is a private firm you can pay to pick up your trash even if the government doesn't provide it.

why should private firms do it, when the state government can do

that is how it is done all over the world
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by EkoIle1: 7:29pm On Jun 17, 2011
alj_harem:

read ,

Trust me, that's never gonna stop me from highlighting your ignorance and stupidity.

You want to jump and spew rubbish every time you see Fashola or Tinubu's name?  I'll be there to showcase your foolery.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by EvilBrain1(m): 7:31pm On Jun 17, 2011
The drainage problem is nowhere as bad as it used to be. The rain this morning was crazy and all the roads around my house were flooded. But by this afternoon, everything had cleared. In the old days, the flood would last for days. There used to be parts of Lagos (e.g. Mushin) that were flooded even in the dry season. You can't condemn Tinubu and Fashola because of a little flooding after a typical Lagos monsoon.

Also, the blame for the flooding goes to all the r.etards that throw dirt, rubbish and pure water bags into the gutters every day. It amazes me when I see people throwing crap on the road and in the drainages, and then complaining when there is flood. Adeniran Ogunsanya street in Surulere was rebuilt less than 6 nmonths ago and the new gutters are already blocked in several places. The nearby Akerele street is not even half completed and yet the gutters are half-full of pure water bags. The government can do little to fight the army of m.orons who are fighting progress tooth and nail.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by blank(f): 7:32pm On Jun 17, 2011
An example of bad planning is this Lekki-Epe expressway that they are building. I can't understand why a year after the Phase 1 part of the road was completed, the gutter has not been constructed.

Anytime I pass the road on my way to work, I see the area is flooded and I wonder, this is dry season o. When the rains start, what will happen? Now we know.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by aljharem3: 7:32pm On Jun 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

Trust me, that's never gonna stop me from highlighting your ignorance and stupidity.

You want to jump and spew rubbish every time you see Fashola or Tinubu's name?  I'll be there to showcase your foolery.

shocked if i see something wrong with the way corruption is going on in lagos i should keep shut because eko/iragbiji ile said so shocked

u are indeed silly undecided
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by DisGuy: 7:32pm On Jun 17, 2011
hercules07:

Victoria Island is the worst hit when it comes to flooding, it is partly due to bad drainage system, blocked drainages, people building on the drainages and the sea level issue, Lagos Island is well drained, the Central Business district is very very well drained, most of the mainland is also well drained though we have a lot of blocked drainages.
T[b]he Fashola goverment needs to demolish a lot of houses [/b]and should work on the drainages, Lagosians need to stop blocking drainages, they need to stop throwing rubbish in the drainage system, we also need our drainages to be fully covered.

cough cough, when houses were being demolished some years ago.      .      .     .

I actually though VI and all those 'new cities' were properly planned by those investors/building planners,
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by hercules07: 7:33pm On Jun 17, 2011
Waste Management is probably one of the good points of Fashola's administration, the private firms are picking the refuse regularly, the problem is the attitude of lagosians, we are too used to doing things our own way. LAWMA is one of the best agencies in Lagos state, people should please note that the budget of the state is finite and Fashola can not cater to all the needs of the people.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by EkoIle1: 7:33pm On Jun 17, 2011
ekt_bear:

Very silly response.

Is it the government's job to provide refuse pickup? Surely there is a private firm you can pay to pick up your trash even if the government doesn't provide it.

Granted, government should do it. But even if it doesn't, nobody has to tell even an animal not to sh1t where it sleeps and eats.

Don't mind them. If fact, Lagos has one of the best if not the best refuse collection system and infrastructure in Nigeria.

Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by EkoIle1: 7:34pm On Jun 17, 2011

Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by hercules07: 7:35pm On Jun 17, 2011
Dis Guy

You need to see the rate at which we are having CLOSES, people just build anyhow, the problem Fashola has is if he demolishes people will shout, if he does not, people will shout about flooding, as per VI, that place needs to be planned as a whole not street by street.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by EkoIle1: 7:36pm On Jun 17, 2011
alj_harem:

shocked if i see something wrong with the way corruption is going on in lagos i should keep shut because eko/iragbiji ile said so shocked

u are indeed silly undecided

Olodo. Are we talking about corruption?

Have you changed the topic to Fashola and Tinubu stole money?

Like I said, you are worse than a troll. Your brain is utterly empty.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by aljharem3: 7:37pm On Jun 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

all ur pictures just comfirmed 1 thing that it is not the waste that is causing the flooding but instead the drainage system
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Wallie(m): 7:37pm On Jun 17, 2011
alj_harem:

well said kobo kiss kiss kiss kiss

no sir

flash floods are caused when the water does not have any where to go and thus move from a region of high gradient to a region of low gradient. this occurs mostly on clay soils because the soil is compact and does not absorb water that fast unlake other type of soil

lagos on the other hand is most sandy and humus soil because of its close proximity to the shore,

nature always move from to a region of high entropy, thus if rain falls in lagos, it is natural for the water to move down stream (provided there is a good drainage)

if the amount of rain per unite area per time is high, provide there is a good drainage, we would not experience flooding because apart from the drainage, we have a sandy, humus soil in lagos

the only way lagos can be flooded is if the lagoon over flood it's banks which is very unliklly because it is connected to the ocean and the amount of water lagos/ogun can hold will be insignificant to the amount of water in the ocean

thus the flood is caused by no proper drainage.

Your assumption about Lagos will only be true if the ground can never be saturated. Even on a sandy beach, there will be a point in time when the water or rain on the sand will saturate (stop percolating) the ground, even if only momentarily; otherwise, according to your logic, Bar Beach or any other beach should never overflow.

Again, even with the best drainage system in the world, if the ground is saturated and the rate of rain fall is very high, you will have flooding. Water can only move so fast and if it collects in a certain saturated area, it will be there for a while even if it has a place to go (downhill).
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by DisGuy: 7:38pm On Jun 17, 2011
Evil Brain:

The drainage problem is nowhere as bad as it used to be. The rain this morning was crazy and all the roads around my house were flooded. But by this afternoon, everything had cleared. In the old days, the flood would last for days. There used to be parts of Lagos (e.g. Mushin) that were flooded even in the dry season. You can't condemn Tinubu and Fashola because of a little flooding after a typical Lagos monsoon.

Also, the blame for the flooding goes to all the r.etards that throw dirt, rubbish and pure water bags into the gutters every day. It amazes me when I see people throwing crap on the road and in the drainages, and then complaining when there is flood. Adeniran Ogunsanya street in Surulere was rebuilt less than 6 nmonths ago and the new gutters are already blocked in several places. The nearby Akerele street is not even half completed and yet the gutters are half-full of pure water bags. The government can do little to fight the army of m.orons who are fighting progress tooth and nail.

Nothing good old strong hand tactics cant reduce/eradicate! start another 'agency' with koboko and outrageous fines, then dump huge bins in strategic locations, when husbands start coming back from work to meet an empty house and a letter stating their wives/housemaid are in psychiatric ward, they will change little by little  cool
and market traders too when they keep going home without their daily profits them go hear word or move to another state
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by aljharem3: 7:38pm On Jun 17, 2011
Wallie:

Your assumption about Lagos will only be true if the ground can never be saturated. Even on a sandy beach, there will be a point in time when the water or rain on the sand will saturate (stop percolating) the ground, even if only momentarily; otherwise, according to your logic, Bar Beach or any other beach should never overflow.

Again, even with the best drainage system in the world, if the ground is saturated and the rate of rain fall is very high, you will have flooding. Water can only move so fast and if it collects in a certain saturated area, it will be there for a while even if it has a place to go (downhill).

hmmm i agree, good lesson learnt by me. thank you
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by fxtopedia(m): 7:39pm On Jun 17, 2011
@OP: Your username shows the kind of person you are!!!
Show us the good things too for us to understand your
objectivity. I guess you were paid to do this.

I am not supporter of ACN but I hate people with such heart as yours!
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by aljharem3: 7:39pm On Jun 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

Olodo. Are we talking about corruption?

Like I said, you are worse than a troll. Your brain is utterly empty.

another beaf cry

have u used the drug u recommended for beaf today
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Kobojunkie: 7:41pm On Jun 17, 2011
Wallie:

Drainage has little to do with ground saturation. Even when you live by the beach, the water that hits the sand, mostly drains into the sea. Even in a village where all ground is clay(which we know has low(or is that high) saturation levels, it is possible to have no flooding by providing a channel through which the excess water flows off.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by EkoIle1: 7:41pm On Jun 17, 2011
alj_harem:

another beaf cry

have u used the drug u recommended for beaf today

I guess you missed the question,

Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Wallie(m): 7:42pm On Jun 17, 2011
alj_harem:

Wow…a Nigerian that doesn’t argue blindly? You’ve just earned my respect!
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Kobojunkie: 7:43pm On Jun 17, 2011
ekt_bear:

Very silly response.

Granted, government should do it. But even if it doesn't, nobody has to tell even an animal not to sh1t where it sleeps and eats.

In much of the developed world, the answer to that question is a resounding YES. Garbage collection is handled by the State. Now if the state decides to contract that job to private entities, that is the GOVERNMENT doing that, not private citizens calling different private entities to ask if they will pick up trash from their residence or not.

Tinubu made attempts at creating good waste collection in the state but unfortunately, like most everything else, he did not manage it well and I believe it went to hell in less than a year.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by EkoIle1: 7:44pm On Jun 17, 2011
alj_harem:

That was common sense really.

Even a day old baby sabi that.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by aljharem3: 7:44pm On Jun 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

I guess you missed the question,

i used that to illustrated the money lagos state gets which can be used to make proper drainage system
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by aljharem3: 7:45pm On Jun 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

That was common sense really.

Even a day old baby sabi that.

lol grin grin grin grin well i am not as educated as u all, but i know what i am talking about
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by aljharem3: 7:45pm On Jun 17, 2011
Wallie:

i mean we learn everyday

i have just learnt mine today
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by EkoIle1: 7:48pm On Jun 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

In much of the developed world, the answer to that question is a resounding YES. Garbage collection is handled by the State. Now if the state decides to contract that job to private entities, that is the GOVERNMENT doing that, not private citizens calling different private entities to ask if they will pick up trash from their residence or not.

Resounding NO. Private companies like Waste management and others takes care of refuse in the US, not the Government. The state awards the contract for companies like waste management to take away your trash and the state/cities or counties charge you on their behalf.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Wallie(m): 7:48pm On Jun 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Drainage has little to do with ground saturation. Even when you live by the beach, the water that hits the sand, mostly drains into the sea.

NO and Yes.

No because if the ground is saturated you will need another type of drainage to channel the water away from the saturated grounds.

Water drains into the sea because it is sitting lower than the beach. If the water rises above the beach, it is coming onshore and the only thing you can do to stop it is to build a levee.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by jason123: 7:49pm On Jun 17, 2011
Na wa oo! What an interesting exchange of blows between Alj harem and Eko ile. cheesy
This alj harem is not an ORDINARY Northerner, at least, not your everyday northerner. . . . .hmmmm!
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by EkoIle1: 7:49pm On Jun 17, 2011
Wallie:

Got to be a joke. He was told the same thing pages back. You basically repeated what others have posted and what he's been arguing against.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by ektbear: 7:50pm On Jun 17, 2011
alj_harem:

why should private firms do it, when the state government can do

that is how it is done all over the world

Not quite, actually. In lots of places it is handled by private contractors. . . for example, there is this famous company called Waste Management (dunno if you heard of them) that handles a lot of trash collection in the US.

But I guess the point you raise is more subtle. . . whether people should negotiate (and pay) to have their trash handled individually or whether the government should just provide it for everyone (and pay for it by raising taxes.) In other words, is it a private or public good. I guess you are right, it should be available for free to everyone.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Kobojunkie: 7:52pm On Jun 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

Resounding NO. Private companies like Waste management and others takes care of refuse in the US, not the Government. The state awards the contract for companies like waste management to take away your trash and the state/cities or counties charge you on their behalf.

Again, read.

Kobojunkie:

Tinubu made attempts at creating good waste collection in the state but unfortunately, like most everything else, he did not manage it well and I believe it went to hell in less than a year.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

A Senator Earns N12m Yearly - RMAFC / Details Of Money Released For 2016 Budget By FG / "Out Of Poverty In 10 Years, Osinbajo Didn't Say 10, But 100 Million Nigerians"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.