Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,259 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:24 AM

Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years (17070 Views)

Fashola, Tinubu And Oba Akiolu Observe Eid Prayer (Photo) / Fashola, Tinubu Begs Igbo For Support. Pics / Agbaje’s Camp Tackles Fashola, Tinubu For Saying He's Too Old To Be Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by satani22: 9:27am On Jun 18, 2011
Where is the faceless,shameless and fanatic called eko~ile that have been running his fowl mouth in defense of BS? All the questions i asked him, he's yet to answer any. I hope u read the post of Afanna as copied from Sun newspapers and saw the teribble experience Lagosians went through because of just one day's heavy rain
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by jmaine: 10:06am On Jun 18, 2011
temmytanny:

There nothing wrong in rain resulting to flooding but the issue is how the flooded area can go off after some minutes. It is true that many areas were flooded but to me oooo some areas are getting eased with this issue. I was at ikorodu road on saturday and withing minutes after downpour , the water went off. same with some areas in VI,abule egba and co. I dont know about ajamgbadi but some one told me its very bad there.

I think the Govt has done above average in terms of tackling flood in lagos. You all know lagos is congested and many works need be done b4 we enjoy the infrastructure. If you and me can stop dumping refuse in the gutter in your area or report those doing such, you would see that things would change for the better.

I feel pained when people attack personalities on serious issues like this. Whatever you say about Tinubu, fashola or ACN will not solve the matter. And if you politicised this issue, then Lagos is still far better than PH, calabar, Onitsha and even Uyo. I have lived in this cities and i know what am saying. Despite the low population and high financial resources , flooding is still a major issue. Many of you would say no to my statement about calabar and co but u can ask people that stay in calabar south about flooding or those that stay at mbribit town in Uyo.

Nice post but i beg to disagree on your comparing the degree of flooding as experienced in some parts of Lagos to Calabar south even stating that is worse  undecided undecided  . . .yes, the drainages do not often contain the flood water after an intense rain of about 2 hours  . .causing the flood to spill across the road, becoming a hazard to non suspecting passers by and motorist especially okada riders .I witnessed an incident where a little girl and an unsuspecting okada man were swept in the raging flood cos they moved ignorantly close to the culvert . .but with the kind of flood experienced in Lagos where in some area . . the moment it rains for some few minutes . .Critical emergency procedures would be initiated  embarassed embarassed,  by lifting all house appliances to certain heights to avoid damage or accident with respect to electric appliances . .have never heard of any place in calabar south with such factor.Am also yet to see the manner of rain that will cause the kind of unpleasant experiences we often encounter around the yaba - Jibowu axis, let me avoid other worse notorious spots. .

Blocking of drainages with refuse in Calabar  have been made a criminal act with bins provided in most junctions and notorious spots to checkmate the practice . . if you are caught, you will be arrested  . .remember vividly, when the Muri ( An Efik high chief) along my street, employed some area boys to arrest erring neighbors who chose to dump trash in the drainages . . it was more or less a suicidal approach to do that, cos you must ensure your operation is carried out in a blitz manner  cheesy cheesy cheesy cos they were always around no matter the time of the night you feel safe to carry out your illegal dumping exercise, and this was way back 1999 - 2002 before i relocated . .though i still frequent Calabar very often for visits and for merriment as well  grin grin . . where precisely in calabar south where you referring to , cos the only sore point i knew was Crutech . .cos that was the end point of all the drainage water in calabar south
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by seguno2: 10:39am On Jun 18, 2011
it is pointless comparing Lagos flooding with other Naija cities.
Why?
Tinubu and Fashola have held themselves out to be the best governors under their ACN banner for the past 12 years. Hence they must be held to their self-proclaimed "best" standard.
And they have borrowed billions of US$ on top of increased tax revenue from hard working Lagosians and the humonguous federal allocation received monthly. Where has all the money gone 
The flooding in the US are usually from hurricanes, tropical storm and other freak weather conditions not the standard heavy rains that cause flooding every year in Lagos.
Let's not compare apple with oranges even they are both fruits.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by macjive01: 11:12am On Jun 18, 2011
IMO I think fashola is at best mediocre.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Nobody: 11:26am On Jun 18, 2011
macjive01:

IMO I think fashola is at best mediocre.
one eye man be king
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by temmytanny(m): 2:25pm On Jun 18, 2011
jmaine:

Nice post but i beg to disagree on your comparing the degree of flooding as experienced in some parts of Lagos to Calabar south even stating that is worse  undecided undecided  . . .yes, the drainages do not often contain the flood water after an intense rain of about 2 hours  . .causing the flood to spill across the road, becoming a hazard to non suspecting passers by and motorist especially okada riders .I witnessed an incident where a little girl and an unsuspecting okada man were swept in the raging flood cos they moved ignorantly close to the culvert . .but with the kind of flood experienced in Lagos where in some area . . the moment it rains for some few minutes . .Critical emergency procedures would be initiated  embarassed embarassed,  by lifting all house appliances to certain heights to avoid damage or accident with respect to electric appliances . .have never heard of any place in calabar south with such factor.Am also yet to see the manner of rain that will cause the kind of unpleasant experiences we often encounter around the yaba - Jibowu axis, let me avoid other worse notorious spots. .

Blocking of drainages with refuse in Calabar  have been made a criminal act with bins provided in most junctions and notorious spots to checkmate the practice . . if you are caught, you will be arrested  . .remember vividly, when the Muri ( An Efik high chief) along my street, employed some area boys to arrest erring neighbors who chose to dump trash in the drainages . . it was more or less a suicidal approach to do that, cos you must ensure your operation is carried out in a blitz manner  cheesy cheesy cheesy cos they were always around no matter the time of the night you feel safe to carry out your illegal dumping exercise, and this was way back 1999 - 2002 before i relocated . .though i still frequent Calabar very often for visits and for merriment as well  grin grin . . where precisely in calabar south where you referring to , cos the only sore point i knew was Crutech . .cos that was the end point of all the drainage water in calabar south

tanx for ur reply. If you go tru my post i said calabar south and not municipal. Many people have visited calabar municipal and say its beautiful with out visiting the south. The south is no different from the Ajegunle of lagos. Its an offence even in lagos to dump refuse anywhere and not only in calabar but for you to say they dont have flooding issues is wrong. Have u been to atamunu(not sure of the spellin) in calabar b4?

seguno2:

Why?
Tinubu and Fashola have held themselves out to be the best governors under their ACN banner for the past 12 years. Hence they must be held to their self-proclaimed "best" standard.
And they have borrowed billions of US$ on top of increased tax revenue from hard working Lagosians and the humonguous federal allocation received monthly. Where has all the money gone 
The flooding in the US are usually from hurricanes, tropical storm and other freak weather conditions not the standard heavy rains that cause flooding every year in Lagos.

oh my Gosh! did u say billions of dollars? Where did u get that info? As far as am concerned, lagos is oweing less 140billion naira and dats less a billion dollars. But u can prove me wrong if you have a better info on the billion dollars debt. And who says cross river too isnt oweing billions of naira?
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Akanbiedu(m): 2:35pm On Jun 18, 2011
As someone said, its easier to see a black dot on a white paper. Ask many what they see, they will tell you black and not the white. I think Fashola and stakeholders need to be careful at this point, concentrate on the job they are doing and forget about 2015 presidential elections at least for now. I can feel ethnically motivated struggle already.  

See alj harem has never discussed any development from his state, Borno(boko haram, ali modu sherrif, does anybody even know developmental projects going on in Borno at all? does anybody know other problems they are facing apart from security threat from boko haram?). Many others like him, you will never find any written report about happenings in their states. But they are always here discussing Lagos, Tinubu, Fashola etc

In my little experience with Nigerians, its actually easier and more rewarding to do NOTHING than to work for them. It doesn't even stop you from winning re-elections except PROBABLY you are in the SW.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by bidemi12(m): 2:39pm On Jun 18, 2011
Eko Ile:

Get used to it, Lagos is below the sea level.

what a s.t.upid thing to say.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by multebrain(m): 2:54pm On Jun 18, 2011
Its true that Lagos is below sea level but to be sincere Lagos State Govt and Tinubu still need to do proper drainage systems if Lagos has half of drainage most develop nations they woun't experience this kind of flood I haven't see a better drainage systems in anywhere in Nigeria especially that is above sea level Governor Fashola you still need to called drainage expert to do proper drainage system in Lagos and its environment. Then the flood will not up to this.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by jmaine: 3:30pm On Jun 18, 2011
temmytanny:

tanx for your reply. If you go tru my post i said calabar south and not municipal.

Yes i knew it was calabar South you were reffering to, and my reply was tailored in respect to calabar South in view

temmytanny:

The south is no different from the Ajegunle of lagos.

to some extent some parts resemble Ajegunle and but not all part share the same description . .maybe when you get to interior places like inside :- Nsidun ( Edibe Edibe/jebs axis),Idang ( Mbukpa axis), Ikot Ekpo (yellow duke/ Ekpo Abasi/atamunu areas),Etak Udari ( Target areas to bogobiri the hausa/fulani enclave in the state), and especially bayside . .then your postulations are correct . . but there are other calabar south places that are decent . .the Dan Archibong areas and those close to major roads like the calabar Road are decent but not flashy like the municipal areas . . And the Minucipal areas do have their own fair share of bad zones when you get to the outskirts of the town popularly called 8 miles or even the marian zone have their own fair share of not too flashy zones e.g Ediba axis .

temmytanny:

but for you to say they dont have flooding issues is wrong. Have u been to atamunu(not sure of the spellin) in calabar b4?

I never said calabar had no flooding issues . .but that, you cant compare the degree of flooding we have in Lagos to that of calabar . .   . guess you have not being in the comfort of flood prunes areas where a little rainfall forces people to carry their belongings on their head to salvage some importants materials . . . let us forget the lekki zones and face the mainland where i stay . . when it rains, take a stroll to Iwaya and see the hell people go through . . there is even a saying  that the wise ones never take the ground floor when renting a house cos whoever does that is just paying for headache as a result of constant flooding . .  

As for your Atamunu questions,offcourse i know Atamunu very well, Street starts from mayne avenue and cut across mount zion to the interior Ajeguleic areas  wink. .it falls under Ikot Ekpo area  ( acronym used to describe the fearsome  hoodlooms/street miscreants who resided in those zones, same applies to Nsidun,Idang, bayside boys et al., i mentioned earlier who constantly fought  for supremacy battles occasionally back in them days. I think, they are more subdued now  undecided undecided ) . in my previous post, i mentioned that the crutech zones are the worst hit and sore area cos they are the end points to all the drainage systems in calabar south thereby bearing the full brunt of the menace . .if you reside deep in Atamunu near the Crutech zone, then you might just be a guest to this harsh flood experiences . . but never as widespread and catastrophic as what is obtainable in lagos on a constant basis

temmytanny:

Its an offence even in lagos to dump refuse anywhere and not only in calabar

You are correct and am aware of that . . . i just wanted to buttress the point a local chief went to ensure that practice was stopped . . .  People refrained after getting enlightened of the havoc it was causing in the disadvantaged Crutech zones, where the tail end of Atamunu falls into. .
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by EkoIle1: 4:11pm On Jun 18, 2011
satani22:

Where is the faceless,shameless and fanatic called eko~ile that have been running his fowl mouth in defense of BS? All the questions i asked him, he's yet to answer any. I hope u read the post of Afanna as copied from Sun newspapers and saw the teribble experience Lagosians went through because of just one day's heavy rain

I decide when and how I go back and forth with clueless and ignorant people, unfortunately, now is not the time.

Feel free to go ahead with your rubbish
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by temmytanny(m): 4:18pm On Jun 18, 2011
jmaine:

Yes i knew it was calabar South you were reffering to, and my reply was tailored in respect to calabar South in view

to some extent some parts resemble Ajegunle and but not all part share the same description . .maybe when you get to interior places like inside :- Nsidun ( Edibe Edibe/jebs axis),Idang ( Mbukpa axis), Ikot Ekpo (yellow duke/ Ekpo Abasi/atamunu areas),Etak Udari ( Target areas to bogobiri the hausa/fulani enclave in the state), and especially bayside . .then your postulations are correct . . but there are other calabar south places that are decent . .the Dan Archibong areas and those close to major roads like the calabar Road are decent but not flashy like the municipal areas . . And the Minucipal areas do have their own fair share of bad zones when you get to the outskirts of the town popularly called 8 miles or even the marian zone have their own fair share of not too flashy zones e.g Ediba axis .

I never said calabar had no flooding issues . .but that, you cant compare the degree of flooding we have in Lagos to that of calabar . .   . guess you have not being in the comfort of flood prunes areas where a little rainfall forces people to carry their belongings on their head to salvage some importants materials . . . let us forget the lekki zones and face the mainland where i stay . . when it rains, take a stroll to Iwaya and see the hell people go through . . there is even a saying  that the wise ones never take the ground floor when renting a house cos whoever does that is just paying for headache as a result of constant flooding . .  

As for your Atamunu questions,offcourse i know Atamunu very well, Street starts from mayne avenue and cut across mount zion to the interior Ajeguleic areas  wink. .it falls under Ikot Ekpo area  ( acronym used to describe the fearsome  hoodlooms/street miscreants who resided in those zones, same applies to Nsidun,Idang, bayside boys et al., i mentioned earlier who constantly fought  for supremacy battles occasionally back in them days. I think, they are more subdued now  undecided undecided ) . in my previous post, i mentioned that the crutech zones are the worst hit and sore area cos they are the end points to all the drainage systems in calabar south thereby bearing the full brunt of the menace . .if you reside deep in Atamunu near the Crutech zone, then you might just be a guest to this harsh flood experiences . . but never as widespread and catastrophic as what is obtainable in lagos on a constant basis

You are correct and am aware of that . . . i just wanted to buttress the point a local chief went to ensure that practice was stopped . . .  People refrained after getting enlightened of the havoc it was causing in the disadvantaged Crutech zones, where the tail end of Atamunu falls into. .

wao! you really know calabar inside out. KUDOS! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by jmaine: 4:22pm On Jun 18, 2011
temmytanny:

wao! you really know calabar inside out. KUDOS! grin grin grin grin grin

Thanks bro . .Calabar is a home to me anytime any day . . Spent some good years growing up there ( mimicking VP Sambo rehearsed line he often used in Non - Northern areas during their campaign  cheesy) . . . so whatcha expect  wink wink
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by vislabraye(m): 5:18pm On Jun 18, 2011
Eko ni baje. No one should talk bad about Lagos. After there are BRT busses and there's no flood with hundred meters radius of the toll gates, grin
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by success4(m): 6:47pm On Jun 18, 2011
some people just type rubbish here.
You are talking about flood which is seasonal
what about Power?
what about employment?
what about inflated contract?

Eko Ile, I pity your sense of reasoning. I now agree with fxtopedia that you are doing a PPP work
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by satani22: 7:22pm On Jun 18, 2011
Eko Ile:

I decide when and how I go back and forth with clueless and ignorant people, unfortunately, now is not the time.

go sidon and hide ur face cos of shame. U ve been criticized for ur non objectivity by different posters on this thread. I based my argument on what we experienced not knowing that many other parts of Lagos was even terrible. I read the sun newspapers report of the extent of damage caused by yesterdays flood and could only pity myself and others. Its easy for u to post BS since u are not on ground. We are here and are reporting our terrible experience to you, upon all u failed to be reasonable and be on the side of the masses. Anyway i wouldnt fight cos its worthless. Enjoy ur self. cheers
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by success4(m): 7:31pm On Jun 18, 2011
satani22:

go sidon and hide your face cos of shame. U ve been criticized for your[b] non objectivity[/b] by different posters on this thread. I based my argument on what we experienced not knowing that many other parts of Lagos was even terrible. I read the sun newspapers report of the extent of damage caused by yesterdays flood and could only pity myself and others. Its easy for u to post BS since u are not on ground. We are here and are reporting our terrible experience to you, upon all u failed to be reasonable and be on the side of the masses. Anyway i wouldnt fight cos its worthless. Enjoy your self.  cheers

same applies to you friend, because you made a complain because of what you experience, that is subjectivity. However, Eko Ile case is different sha. He needs to visit yaba-left
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by shawonlese: 7:34pm On Jun 18, 2011
Well,

Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by jmaine: 7:39pm On Jun 18, 2011
^^^ The place resemble ocean view restaurant  tongue tongue . .what a cooling and chilling effect the water would have  on those legs
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by ezeagu(m): 8:00pm On Jun 18, 2011
African jacuzzi part. 2. shocked
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jun 18, 2011
That floating restaurant Pic don't bode well at all

Calmly having lunch in such filthy conditions. embarassed

@ topic
There is something called constructive criticism,
sadly certain individuals bare the see no evil, hear no evil mentality.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by EkoIle1: 8:39pm On Jun 18, 2011
satani22:

go sidon and hide your face cos of shame. U ve been criticized for your non objectivity by different posters on this thread. I based my argument on what we experienced not knowing that many other parts of Lagos was even terrible. I read the sun newspapers report of the extent of damage caused by yesterdays flood and could only pity myself and others. Its easy for u to post BS since u are not on ground. We are here and are reporting our terrible experience to you, upon all u failed to be reasonable and be on the side of the masses. Anyway i wouldnt fight cos its worthless. Enjoy your self. cheers

Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by jonnex: 9:15pm On Jun 18, 2011
Eko o ni baje, o baje ti.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Reference(m): 9:48pm On Jun 18, 2011
In engineering terms if a location is below the ultimate reservoir which is the ocean there is no way any form of drainage can work without mechanical means. Where such locations are close to the sea level the rate of run-off declines even further. To further compound matters flood water from adjoining states particularly Ogun have to negotiate through Lagos canals to reach the Atlantic. If you look at a crossection of the terrain between say Abeokuta and Ikorodu you will observe a sharp decline which tapers off at the end in some cases below sea level. To further compound that, being the most urban state in Nigeria (with over 70% of the surface area developed) there is very little chance of water percolation through the extensive paving statewide.

The only options the government has is to immediately truncate urban expansion (very difficult), create buffer zones (mini dams) to hold flood water and open up wetlands (rather than sand-filling the few ones that remain). Lagos cannot afford the unmitigated expansion we have seen over the last twenty years. There are limits and they are very grave. If flooding grinds Lagos to a halt, the entire economy of Nigeria goes with it. Then and only then will we realise its beyond Fashola, ACN or Tinubu.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by calculusx(m): 9:59pm On Jun 18, 2011
FASHOLA IS WORKING, LAGOSIANS ARE SWIMMING

Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by mamagee3(f): 10:00pm On Jun 18, 2011
calculusx:

FASHOLA IS WORKING, LAGOSIANS ARE SWIMMING
Yeah, lagosians are swimming in poverty.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by calculusx(m): 10:31pm On Jun 18, 2011
mama-gee:

Nigerians are swimming in Poverty but despite the untold hardship, we are part of the happiest people in the World.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jun 18, 2011
mama-gee:

^^^
Why do you always talk rubbish?

@ Reference - Interesting response.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by phantom(m): 10:51pm On Jun 18, 2011
ROFLMAO @ the guy surfing with his door, grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by jmaine: 10:58pm On Jun 18, 2011
Boys don dey arrange for canoe to take adapt to the prevailing conditions  cheesy cheesy . . . The Hustle must continue  grin grin whether flood like am or not  angry
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by tpia5: 11:00pm On Jun 18, 2011
why cant those guys drinking beer get a canoe or kayak i wonder.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by tpia5: 11:03pm On Jun 18, 2011
seguno2:

Why?

can you explain the difference between hurricanes, tropical storms, and the standard heavy rains in lagos?

so its a freak weather condition when it happens annually overseas, right?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Beaten By Soldiers At Okene For Trying To Video Them / Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria / Dabiri-Erewa, NIDCOM Plead For Leniency As Ekweremadu Awaits UK Court Sentence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.