Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,544 members, 7,816,324 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:32 AM

Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years (17071 Views)

Fashola, Tinubu And Oba Akiolu Observe Eid Prayer (Photo) / Fashola, Tinubu Begs Igbo For Support. Pics / Agbaje’s Camp Tackles Fashola, Tinubu For Saying He's Too Old To Be Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by tpia5: 9:18pm On Jun 17, 2011
there are canals in lagos for goodness sake.

most are clogged with trash and act as trash heaps.

the problem here is overcrowding- makes it very difficult to plan or manage anywhere.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by satani22: 9:18pm On Jun 17, 2011
satani22:

guy i like honest pple and not just mere fanatics.i will show u somethings i just read online now.i reside in Ikoyi and working Ikoyi.I ve been a witness to many problems.like i did posted,in the op, theres a reclamation being done presently and directly opposite Dolphin estate which used to be the main in flow of drainage from Dolphin.everyone knows that this reclamation is one of the causes of the problems we Ikoyi residents face.

Study lists causes of Ikoyi, Victoria Island floods

EXCESSIVE rainfall coupled with design[b] defects of drainage channels have been blamed for the protracted flooding of the high-brow neighbourhood of Ikoyi and Victoria Island.[/b]

Results of the data collected show that flooding of the Victoria Island and Ikoyi is predominantly caused by excessive rains which are very prevalent during the months of June, July, September and October.

To alleviate the menace of these flood-prone neighbourhoods, the study recommended that some drainage channels must be re-routed to increase their efficiency; repair some of the concrete channels, while earthen channels have to be built with concrete; while screen bars should be installed along some drainage channels.

Others included fencing of some drainage channels to discourage people from using them as dump sites; increase the beach height along the Bar Beach above astronomical high tides; construct new channels and rehabilitate old ones with enough drainage heads; embark on a comprehensive survey of all drainage channels, and sustained public enlightenment to discourage residents from dumping their refuse into drainage channels.

http://www.unesco.org/csi/act/lagos/flood5.htm

its clear from the above that theres much to be done by the government. that's my point no fight against any government
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by ronkebp(f): 9:19pm On Jun 17, 2011
satani22:

thats y satanist are better than religious folks. I commended fashola to be the best governor ever in Lagos beside Alhaji Jakande, but as per flooding, the guy must do more. My car was flooded today and havent started all through the day why water spoilt the brain box which would cost N35,000 to fix. Thats not fair on me na. Tell Fashola to do more Abeg

Now, i see why you were so angry at the floods, pele, don't worry you have the cash, it is just N35,000. that is just money for pure water, wink
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by fxtopedia(m): 9:24pm On Jun 17, 2011
@ronkebp:
You want kill person with your post. Still laughing
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Wallie(m): 9:25pm On Jun 17, 2011
satani22:

, everyone knows that this reclamation is one of the causes of the problems we Ikoyi residents face,

Why is reclamation causing "flooding" problems at a non-reclaimed land?
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by satani22: 9:31pm On Jun 17, 2011
Hahahaha. N35,000 is like 1/4 of my monthly something ooo. No be small money ooo these days my sister. Honestly i wept today for my country with what i saw. A parent had to carry 2 of her wards to walk pass through the flood over 1Km journey. Come and see matresses, tv, sound system clothes that were soaked in water. These areas are the most expensive places in Lagos if not in Nigeria. I want to sell a property in ikoyi for a client going for N500m somewhere btw gerrard and cooper road. Another one close to Silverbird galleria in V.I for asking N300m. If u see flood today, u will be turned off even if u had the cash to drop instantly. Its that bad
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by ronkebp(f): 9:38pm On Jun 17, 2011
^^^^^ now, that is bad, , see as flood spoil business for you, kai, well with this flood now, lets see what Fashola will do about it.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by satani22: 9:43pm On Jun 17, 2011
Wallie:

Why is reclamation causing "flooding" problems at a non-reclaimed land?

im in the building industry and would explain somethings to about the peculiarity of what on ground. There are 3 estates within same neighbourhood of Ilubirin thats being reclaimed in ikoyi. Dolphin, dolphin extention, Abacha estate, Dolphin estate 2, osborne phase 1 and 2 .The drainage flows from these places to the river/canal or whatever . Its same river thats being reclaimed thereby when ever it rains, the flood is prevented from flowing to where it ought to flow into. Except the drainage is re-chanelled, we would continue to experience flooding when ever there is heavy down pour. Its peculiar some how
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by honeric01(m): 9:44pm On Jun 17, 2011
ronkebp:

Now, i see why you were so angry at the floods, pele, don't worry you have the cash, it is just N35,000. that is just money for pure water,  wink

Your reasoning is faulty, please don't reason this way, you saw how flooded the roads were and you saw cars floating inside the flood, these cars were not bought with paper, either were they given as free by car dealers, the owners of these cars pay tax to the government to use the roads and what aview, they deserve to complain when things like this happen.

You call N35k pure water money, WHY NOT DASH HIM? undecided
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by kq(m): 9:47pm On Jun 17, 2011
@satani22 i find your point about land reclamation interesting and i think it is an important view when looking at the causes of flooding in Lagos. When discussing with some of my friends i have always talked about my concerns for the Island\Lekki Ajah axis when it comes to land reclamation and the topography of the area my opinion is that all that area is a disaster waiting to happen in the nearest future. All that water that land was reclaimed from will rise to take its place one day, it may be now tommorrow or in the future. who knows?  we have all talked about waste in drainage. poor drainage design but lets not overlook the land from sea issue as well it plays a role in this seasonal floodings. what do you guys think? Please!!! lets all not forget that Lagos is a part of Nigeria and as Nigerians we should all be proud of the city it used to be the capital at a time.
this should be a place where we can voice our opinions without having to demean ourselves.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by satani22: 9:50pm On Jun 17, 2011
Lol honeric. Im sure shes just joking. Serious that CRV 99 Model pixs i posted on 1st page had its windscreen broken after it fell into the gutter. I pity the owner. Someone like Eko ile thats not on ground here in Lagos keeps posting poo and exhibiting fanaticism
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by ronkebp(f): 9:52pm On Jun 17, 2011
^^^^^ from where did you comeout from?, are you Satani22? if he did not complain about the 35,000 naira why are you complaining? I am not in lagos to know what is going on, after he explained every, , i understood his point of view, all i was saying is that Fashola should not be seen as 'doing nothing' for Lagos State, at least this should be the next agenda on his list, if there was no flood would anybody have remembered that the drainage system had to be done? Here in the States, we don't dash people money like that, 'no free lunch here', and no be me cause the flood.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by ronkebp(f): 9:53pm On Jun 17, 2011
^^^^^^post for Honeric.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Oscillation(m): 9:59pm On Jun 17, 2011
Now i know lagos is all except what some folks posts of sustainable development cheesy grin
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by shawonlese: 10:04pm On Jun 17, 2011
Reclamation is one of the major causes of flooding in those areas.

Can anyone present feasibility studies carried out by these construction companies during the raining season?

My advice for anyone who wants to rent or buy a house, always buy or rent a house during the raining season lest you end up with an apartment where your mattress floats on water.

Can a tenant sue his landlord for property damage for not telling him that the house or area is prone to flooding when it rains,  if he the tenant rents a house during the dry season, and during the raining season, the tenants apartment was flooded, destroying his properties?
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by satani22: 10:06pm On Jun 17, 2011
Nice one kq. I posted this topic for reasonable people like u and other that have made valid points. I read a write up online saying Lagos is a disaster. Im still scared till today ooo. The government needs to alot of work. Where im posting from right inclusive of the estates i mentioned above were all reclaimed. Everything in Lagos Island is water. Right from when Alh Jakande started the project, the water table in the soil were high. Some houses do sink at times. Reclaimed land might not be the best option at times. But Lagos will become a megacity with influx of migrants expected, how do we house them? Solution is simple. Open up satellite towns. Eg sangotedo, ogombo, ibeju lekki, epe etc. Allowing infrastructural developments get to these place, i will disappear from the Island straight away
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by debosky(m): 10:26pm On Jun 17, 2011
It is too easy to blame land reclamation for flooding.

With due respect, the flooding has been occurring well before land reclamation began in Lagos.

Lagos simply does not have the flood protection/drainage systems it requires.

The real question is whether there has been a detailed assessment of the drainage needs of Lagos, considering its elevation, rainfall and drainage pathways. If this has been done, then there are requirements to ensure that flooding events like those shown are only occasional events.

@ Satani

Your link from Unesco seems to imply that a drainage assessment has been carried out, the question now is whether the recommendations were implemented.

However, even the link not reference land reclamation - it says there must be proper routing and installation of drainage channels, with measures taken to prevent dumping.

Clearly when there is heavy rainfall and a high tide level, these two factors combine to cause flooding. The drainage system must be improved to avoid this, or in the meantime we should improve our forecasting capabilities so we can at least forewarn people that there is likely to be heavy rainfall accompanied by flooding during certain periods.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by honeric01(m): 10:37pm On Jun 17, 2011
ronkebp:

^^^^^ from where did you comeout from?, are you Satani22? if he did not complain about the 35,000 naira why are you complaining? I am not in lagos to know what is going on, after he explained every, , i understood his point of view, all i was saying is that Fashola should not be seen as 'doing nothing' for Lagos State, at least this should be the next agenda on his list, if there was no flood would anybody have remembered that the drainage system had to be done? Here in the States, we don't dash people money like that, 'no free lunch here', and no be me cause the flood.

Where did i come out from? well i came out from the same place you came out from. Anyways since you said you are not in Lagos, why then are you typing as if you live in Lagos? check the first page and see how cars were floating on a major road (not a canal nor a dam).

Anyways i live in Lagos and i like Fashola and what he's doing, but the DRAINAGEs are bad, you can't hide the truth!
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by ak47mann(m): 10:51pm On Jun 17, 2011
tinumbu and fashola = no brain at all undecided undecided undecided
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by emiye(m): 10:55pm On Jun 17, 2011
Much of the lagos island axis land (water) is being sand filled, the displaced water goes where? i presume part of the heavy flooding in that area can be alluded to this

Lagosians also need to change attitude of throwing waste in to drainages.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by ronkebp(f): 11:09pm On Jun 17, 2011
honeric01:

Where did i come out from? well i came out from the same place you came out from. Anyways since you said you are not in Lagos, why then are you typing as if you live in Lagos? check the first page and see how cars were floating on a major road (not a canal nor a dam).

Anyways i live in Lagos and i like Fashola and what he's doing, but the DRAINAGEs are bad, you can't hide the truth!
true, dat is why I said he should look in to that,
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by satani22: 11:27pm On Jun 17, 2011
Nice thk Satan ronke has agreed with us. Lets take our discussion away from nairaland. Join me at the otherside
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by ronkebp(f): 11:41pm On Jun 17, 2011
Satani22 I rebuke you n Satan, I did not agree with both of you oooooo, by FIRE,
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Olugboo: 11:55pm On Jun 17, 2011
Lagos flood problem is not the fault of the present government. It started decades ago with lack of planning and drainage system. People are buying land and building houses without proper planning and supervision. You have good for nothing planning authority that demands huge payment from new land owners and they fail to carry out any form of accessment or planing. This is precisely what happen in Festac. Failing to plan is planning to fail as they say.
Some cities in UK, US and other western countries experience flooding mainly from river bank overflow due to heavy rain fall over a number of days. In most part of lagos it happens once the rain hit ground so its not the same.
The government has got their work cut out for them. Its news when it happens in Lekki and Ikoyi, what about other less affluent parts that go on the lock down every time it rains. I fear it will get worse before it gets better if it will.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by honeric01(m): 11:58pm On Jun 17, 2011
ronkebp:

Satani22 I rebuke you n Satan, I did not agree with both of you oooooo, by FIRE,

Fear not, for i have redeemed you, i have called you by name and you are mine, when you pass through the water, it shall not drown you, when you pass through the fire, it shall not burn you, for i am with you always! wink

Sayeth the Lord of host!!!!

So Satani no get anything on you, you have the power to bruise the head of the serpent (satan) till eternity (that's if you don't serve 2 masters) cool

Sleep well my child! (forsmiley wink
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by grandstar(m): 12:59am On Jun 18, 2011
Eko Ile, those are pictures of flash floods. What we experience in Lagos is far different. In a flash flood, the rain that should fall over a period of 30days can fall in a few hours and cause the type of devastation you see
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Afanna1: 1:15am On Jun 18, 2011
[b]Lagos grinds to halt as floods take over roads
By OUR REPORTERS
Saturday, June 18, 2011

Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section

For residents of Jakande area of Ajangbadi, Lagos, there was gnashing of teeth yesterday after an early morning torrential downpour that started from 5.30am till about 11.00am. The roads and streets in the area that are yet to receive the touch of Lagos State governor, Babatunde Fashola were submerged by flood.

The area was not alone in this crisis brought about by what should be a blessing. The entire Lagos State, the metropolis especially, was held to an abrupt standstill after the rains submerged the streets and major roads.
The volume of the floods made motorists and pedestrians move around the city for their daily businesses in uncertainty.

Most parts of Lagos were literally shut out from access by either vehicles or human beings for hours. Even sports utility vehicles, trucks and other heavy duty vehicles could not fare better as the entire traffic was locked up in a snarl that stretched into kilometers.
The residents not left with any option had to wade through the flooded roads to the bus stop.

Shops, warehouses and homes were totally overtaken by floods in most parts of the city. After the rain, many residents spent the rest of the day bailing out water from their flooded homes and shops.
At Abule-Osun on the Mile Two-Badagry expressway, the flood took over the lane that leads to Badagry which left motorists with only one lane with the attendant heavy vehicular traffic.

Rain boots rental
Some young Lagosians, however, acted fast and made a good brisk business of the problem as they positioned themselves at several places where the floods could not permit movement, renting out rain boots to people who needed them.
The experience of residents of Orile Iganmu, Amukoko and Ajeromi Ifelodun Local Government Area, after the downpour, was harrowing.

Flood took over some of the streets like Coker, Raimi Ipaja, Owodunni, Alafia and many others.
One horrible experience was that many people could not go about their businesses as all the roads were heavily flooded. Those who were seen bailing water from their homes at Raimi Ipaja Street, Amukoko, said that that has become the tradition of most of the residents anytime it rains, especially in June and July. “What you see here is what we pass through any time it rains, and we have lived with this for more than 12 years. There are no good drainages here and no efforts to call the attention of government ever worked, they only give excuses. We are totally abandoned, it is only God that can save us from this menace.”
In some of the streets in this area, rain boots were rented for between N30 and N50 for pedestrians, while motorists never tried to make attempt in driving through the flood for fear of being trapped.

The situation at Mile Two was tense for both motorists and other road users as the downpour caused serious traffic jam. Motorists coming from Okokomaiko spent hours to get to Mile Two that had been a traffic nightmare for months now as a result of the road construction going on there. Accessing Mile Two from Orile, Apapa and Oshodi was not different. About three kilometres of the prominent Oshodi-Apapa expressway that links the outer Lagos, the international airport and the seaports in Apapa and Tin Can was hell. Flood stretched from Mile Two to Sanya Express end on both lanes.

Fare from Oshodi to Apapa and Mile Two was jacked up from the usual N100 to about N250 by bus operators who spent hours in the traffic gridlock. At the Ketu- Ojota axis, commuters were stuck in traffic as a result of the flood. Many private car owners who drove through the flood got stuck and with time the entire stretch of the roads was littered with broken down vehicles.
As the stretch of vehicles took over the roads, so also was a crowd of commuters who disembarked from stuck vehicles and walked long distances to their destinations. [/b]

Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by seanet03: 3:13am On Jun 18, 2011
A lot of people running their mouth here does not know what being almost below sea level in a Tropical Rainforest entails. The condition of Lagos is made worse by the two peak rainfall system and its continental shelf which apart from being less shallow also make things terrible because the adjoining beaches slope outwards toward the Lagos hinterland, the mangrove swamp soil in Lagos beaches does not also help because it does not allow percolation of water and has too much air. The global warming have also contributed a large chunk of the recent flooding. Fashola can not do this alone, in sane countries this type of disasters are managed by the federal government except the you are practising confederation or federalism in which the zones or states takes a lion share of the revenues. The lacklustre attitude of the Federal government is unfair and barbaric considering the fact that they make billions of dollars from lagos ports and returns less than 20 in allocation. The same people shouting on the Federal that it should tackle the erosion problem of the east before the Federal government start allocating billions to the east through the ecological funds are now heaping their gullible crap on Fashola because of the Failure of Federal government to planned ahead for Lagos since the days it was capital, very annoying and disgusting.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by Kobojunkie: 3:42am On Jun 18, 2011
. . the Truth is the Truth  . . . once you find yourself making excuses for WHAT IS, I think it is time to rewind and ask yourself ,WHY it is that you feel you need to do that when the evidence is right in front of you.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by igboboy1(m): 4:08am On Jun 18, 2011
ak47mann:

tinumbu and fashola = no brain at all undecided undecided undecided

i no agree on this one, Tinubu no Brain? you get an A for getting the right answer

But Fashola? even though Yoruba eediots like bluetooth, eko ile, ileke edi to name a few are brainless and i pick on Yoruba sometimes, i must call a spade a spade, Fashola is making good use of his medulla oblongotta ( at least for now, unless he fumbles later on and start behaving like tinubu)
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by emekagh(m): 8:18am On Jun 18, 2011
tpia@:

there are canals in lagos for goodness sake.

most are clogged with trash and act as trash heaps.

the problem here is overcrowding- makes it very difficult to plan or manage anywhere.

The crowd are paying tax. The government should fix the darn thing.
Re: Lagos Flood. Fashola &tinubu Failed In Fixing Drainage Prbls In Lagos In 12years by temmytanny(m): 8:38am On Jun 18, 2011
There nothing wrong in rain resulting to flooding but the issue is how the flooded area can go off after some minutes. It is true that many areas were flooded but to me oooo some areas are getting eased with this issue. I was at ikorodu road on saturday and withing minutes after downpour , the water went off. same with some areas in VI,abule egba and co. I dont know about ajamgbadi but some one told me its very bad there.

I think the Govt has done above average in terms of tackling flood in lagos. You all know lagos is congested and many works need be done b4 we enjoy the infrastructure. If you and me can stop dumping refuse in the gutter in your area or report those doing such, you would see that things would change for the better.

I feel pained when people attack personalities on serious issues like this. Whatever you say about Tinubu, fashola or ACN will not solve the matter. And if you politicised this issue, then Lagos is still far better than PH, calabar, Onitsha and even Uyo. I have lived in this cities and i know what am saying. Despite the low population and high financial resources , flooding is still a major issue. Many of you would say no to my statement about calabar and co but u can ask people that stay in calabar south about flooding or those that stay at mbribit town in Uyo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Wike Shuts Down 16 Schools In Rivers State / Corruption War : "People Are Now Ready To Blow Whistle" - Keyamo / Onnoghen: If I’m The CJN, I Will Resign - El-rufai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.