Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,230 members, 7,815,296 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:23 AM

Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! (19601 Views)

Is Senator Bala Ibn'Nallah's Dress Code To An Event Right? (pics) / Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation / Why We Barred Females From Wearing Trousers In Offices – Plateau Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by DisGuy: 5:44pm On Aug 08, 2007
wendymanda:

Aren't their some female Nigerian Lawyers who can protest this ridiculous law? Maybe a woman should wear trousers and after she is brutalized by the police she can get help from Amnesty International. I know the idiots in charge don't want negative attention from the west.

wendy
even our very own 'naija oprah' is asking for a voice of reason, she's got everything(exposure and contacts) to make the most noise but she like our other very 'educated' women are waiting for the voice of reason-preferable from a male- Lawyer Gani ? undecided

Funmi Iyanda and the police
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by wendymanda: 5:51pm On Aug 08, 2007
wendy
even our very own 'naija oprah' is asking for a voice of reason, she's got everything(exposure and contacts) to make the most noise but she like our other very 'educated' women are waiting for the voice of reason-preferable from a male- Lawyer Gani ? Undecided
Well then is there any important male Nigerian Lawyer that would be willing play the prince charmming role. Also what if someone asked, say like me a Western feminist group to look into this mess do you think most Nigerians will be angered by outside help?
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by denex: 5:54pm On Aug 08, 2007
Men, those foreign feminist groups will not help much but will cause further harm by giving Nigeria very bad publicity. VERY BAD PUBLICITY.

Abeg let's tackle this on our own.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 5:55pm On Aug 08, 2007
@dis guy that article is an eye opener,this thing no be joke o.
Somewhere in that story,a man was also accosted for indecent dressing,he was wearing jeans and a T or so.

Everyone should now carry a bedsheet handy in case the moral police are around. shocked

real life experience culled from the posted article.

Policeman: where are you coming from?
FI: work, we just dropped off a friend and are going home.
Policeman: So why you dress like this?
Bose and FI: like how?
Policeman: (shouting and waving a copy of PM News) una no hear wetin Fashola (gov of Lagos) talk abi? Una no hear?
FI: (keeping tight rein of rising bile and anger) hear wetin?
Policeman: (jabbing his finger at us and spitting the words out with disgust) na so una suppose dress, why you dress like this?
FI: what do you mean? This woman here is a doctor, a mother and wife, this is her husband.
Policeman: If na married woman why she no dey her house, all these useless women!
By now Jide is asking what is going on and the others are coming around. Suddenly one with a guttural Warri accent scream that he will deal with us and that in fact they should take us all to the station. Jide is annoyed and shouting, Bose and l are shaking in anger whilst l think of whom to call to stop the madness.
Suddenly one of the plain clothed one recognised me and says ha this is aunty Funmi ke! Aunty Funmi New Dawn isn't it? Yes l said. Don't be annoyed he said in rapid Yoruba, please you can go. Jide and Bose are still arguing with the other two as we get back into the car.

As we drove off we hear him shouting defiantly, What if you be barrister and she be doctor, na only una read book? Warn your wife and all these asewo women, we go deal with them for Lagos.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by denex: 5:55pm On Aug 08, 2007
Men, those foreign feminist groups will not help much but will cause further harm by giving Nigeria very bad publicity. VERY BAD PUBLICITY.

Abeg let's tackle this on our own.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by k0be: 5:55pm On Aug 08, 2007
must a ban on provocative dressing be turned into a feminism issue?
or are you insinuating that nigerians are incapable of correcting their own issues?
are you placing the western world on an unabated pedestal?
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by k0be: 5:58pm On Aug 08, 2007
this guy that article is an eye opener,this thing no be joke o.
Somewhere in that story,a man was also accosted for indecent dressing,he was wearing jeans and a T or so.
let's consult a western patriarchal group to dismantle this unfairness.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 08, 2007
people in Nigeria should stop this new insanity creeping into the south O before it develops wings takes off.
abeg O
This is how it starts.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by DisGuy: 6:06pm On Aug 08, 2007
wendy
I guess denex answered the question.

let those women or those affected by this policy speak out. the thing i have noticed is that people wont say anything until it happens to them so hopefully the son/daughter of one of the big lawyers will get caught up in this and hopefully he/she wont have her mobile phone with her for help . the number you call is not on the mtn network please try again later
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by wendymanda: 6:39pm On Aug 08, 2007
must a ban on provocative dressing be turned into a feminism issue?
or are you insinuating that nigerians are incapable of correcting their own issues?

Before you prosecute me I was just giving a suggestion. We all know that once foriegn influence becomes involved those that enacted this law will mellow. The only reason that woman some years ago survived after giving birth out of wedlock was because of outsiders crying out against it. Lets face it these politicians don't want Nigeria to look worse than it already does.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by wendymanda: 6:43pm On Aug 08, 2007
let those women or those affected by this policy speak out. the thing i have noticed is that people wont say anything until it happens to them so hopefully the son/daughter of one of the big lawyers will get caught up in this and hopefully he/she wont have her mobile phone with her for help .
We can only hope or some really thirsty police man approaches a foriegner.

@this guy that article is an eye opener,this thing no be joke o.

Everyone should now carry a bedsheet handy in case the moral police are around.

I only brought in the feminist idea becasue I was unaware that men were getting the same flack for wearing jeans. But this will end the long run affect women more than it will affect men. So it is in all honesty a feminist issue.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by denex: 6:58pm On Aug 08, 2007
Yes O! It is majorly a feminist issue.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by chibaby5(f): 7:00pm On Aug 08, 2007
excuse me pls, wat type of thing is this or shud i say wat type of country is this? instead of them thinkin of hw to develop the country economically n makin it modern, they're busy lookin at women. infact dat is simply busy body. wat is ur business with wat sum1 chooses to wear? infact 9ja needs god's intervention plus deliverance
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 8:10pm On Aug 08, 2007
chi-baby:

excuse me please, what type of thing is this or should i say what type of country is this? instead of them thinkin of hw to develop the country economically n makin it modern, they're busy lookin at women. infact that is simply busy body. what is your business with what someone chooses to wear? infact Nigeria needs god's intervention plus deliverance

my dear chi chi look at O
we have issues,big big gigantous issues

the house is burning and our politicians are chasing rats
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by romeo(m): 8:11pm On Aug 08, 2007
denex:

@romeo

When I said some people are very dull, I was refering to you. I didn't say somebody was dull when refering to you, I said some people are dull because your level of dullness is so alarming, I can't believe it's all from one person.

Anyway, if you can take time out for a little recess, please give us the "christian" version of the name Aisha. Or should she just call herself "Aliveandwell"?

there is no Christian version of Aisha, big fool!! and this still shows that you'll never learn something from Nairaland and why not say thank you Romeo for teaching me about this today!!??
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by romeo(m): 8:18pm On Aug 08, 2007
laudate:

Oh, you have just had an encounter with romeo, the resident eccentric, shallow twerp on Nairaland. ask him to give you the English or Christian version of Aisha. Am sure he has probably seen it somewhere. . . . . .who knows?

what is this thing doing here? this is not a new thread for igbo-haters! abeg comot for here jare, we are talking about dress code in Benue state and not in Anambra state, when any eastern state starts anything like this we'll let you know. Retarded bloody fool

and i have not seen your contribution on this except to come here and display your foolishness and bigotry
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by k0be: 8:37pm On Aug 08, 2007
Before you prosecute me I was just giving a suggestion. We all know that once foriegn influence becomes involved those that enacted this law will mellow. The only reason that woman some years ago survived after giving birth out of wedlock was because of outsiders crying out against it. Lets face it these politicians don't want Nigeria to look worse than it already does.
dear westerner i'm not a persecutor. when the westerners got involved in the oil pandemic in the naija delta did it die down or get worse? mellow ko, yellow ni. nigeria already looks as bad as can be, don't be fooled into thinking the politicians care deathly to erase the bad image. some other women have given birth outside of wedlock after that incident, and guess what? they got punished regardless.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by DRANOEL(m): 8:43pm On Aug 08, 2007
you guys like mixing issues. if i can recall unilag was the first to introduce dress code.

what has sharia got to do with something in benue? is the state no longer 97% christian?

have guys forgotten that the rate at which pre marital sex is carried out in benue is alarming(HIGH HIV RATE) and this might be a way of tackling such!

the funny thing is that no such thing is happening in benue,i wonder where this info was gotten from
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by k0be: 8:50pm On Aug 08, 2007
what has sharia got to do with something in benue? is the state no longer 97% christian?
grin
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by romeo(m): 8:52pm On Aug 08, 2007
DRANOEL:

you guys like mixing issues. if i can recall unilag was the first to introduce dress code.

have guys forgotten that the rate at which pre marital sex is carried out in benue is alarming(HIGH HIV RATE) and this might be a way of tackling such!

the funny thing is that no such thing is happening in benue,i wonder where this info was gotten from

my brother are you sure nothing of this sort is happening in Benue state? undecided undecided
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 8:54pm On Aug 08, 2007
DRANOEL:

you're still talking Benue state when sharia has now reached Covenant University grin grin grin grin grin
sharia don full ground o.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by DRANOEL(m): 8:55pm On Aug 08, 2007
@romeo

no such thing is happening there
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by wendymanda: 9:22pm On Aug 08, 2007

Please tell me an issue that Nigeria has solved for itself and then also please tell me how you propose this issue will be resolved short of adapting to the madness. Since I am a westerner intruding in the country which I was born, when a house is burning down the residents won't ask others for help for fear of intruders butting into their business.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by romeo(m): 9:49pm On Aug 08, 2007
DRANOEL:

@romeo

no such thing is happening there

what's all the noise for? and please first posters should always provide their source
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by k0be: 9:51pm On Aug 08, 2007
Please tell me an issue that Nigeria has solved for itself and then also please tell me how you propose this issue will be resolved short of adapting to the madness. Since I am a westerner intruding in the country which I was born, when a house is burning down the residents won't ask others for help for fear of intruders butting into their business.
Nigeria is a she so it's herself.  And yes, very many issues, but if i bother to provide them you'll downplay them like you did my response on HIV contraction  wink.  By the way, let's think about it in marital times, if you and your husband are having problems, I think it's best to try to work it out among yourselves before you consult the relatives, don't you think?  wink
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by uchetobi(f): 10:46am On Aug 09, 2007
If this is true then it’s the most ridiculous thing ever
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 7:50am On Aug 10, 2007
babyosisi:

you're still talking Benue state when sharia has now reached Covenant University grin grin grin grin grin
sharia don full ground o.

didn't they tell you that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? grin
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by montili(f): 10:45am On Aug 10, 2007
What will they achieve chasing women on the streets like Tom & Jerry. Chasing people’s mothers, wifes, daughters & babes all in the name of what, that’s deplorable. Up to the extent of caring a barbaric act of publicly tearing it off, this is absurd. Is it not this trousers that has come to the aid of women in many ways, especially in a situation when one has to run at the site of danger & climb Okada. What of women in various engineering fields (Electrician, Construction, Mechanic etc). why not tell them to go to site on skirts and heels (preferably mini skirts) or all females in the Nigerian Armed and Police Forces to go to battle on skirts and heels. (Kweke!!!). Abeg make dem leave all those yan. This Nation has better things to handle than chasing women in trousers.
Abi we dey for Sharia Republic of Nigeria.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by wendymanda: 3:35pm On Aug 10, 2007
Nigeria is a she so it's herself. And yes, very many issues, but if i bother to provide them you'll downplay them like you did my response on HIV contraction. By the way, let's think about it in marital times, if you and your husband are having problems, I think it's best to try to work it out among yourselves before you consult the relatives, don't you think?

Why don't we focus on this thread instead of bringing up another one. Well since you want to use marriage, if you have tried talking, as people in Nigeria have tried to talk this law into being thrown out, and it does not work then counseling is the only other option.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by awa(m): 4:06pm On Aug 10, 2007
The issue under discussion requires further verifications in order to authenticate the matter. However, I think most States in Northern Nigeria are completely under some kind of civilization bondage that dates back to 18th Century. I pray that God will help my Fellow Christians out of the savagery going on there. The Islamic States require sound western education more than the so-called Islamic education. May God continue to protect the "minority" Christians there.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 4:10pm On Aug 10, 2007
awa:

The issue under discussion requires further verifications in order to authenticate the matter. However, I think most States in Northern Nigeria are completely under some kind of civilization bondage that dates back to 18th Century. I pray that God will help my Fellow Christians out of the savagery going on there. The Islamic States require sound western education more than the so-called Islamic education. May God continue to protect the "minority" Christians there.

instead of waiting for God to help your fellow christians out of the savagery from the 'civilisation bondage'in the north, tell them to leave.I'm sure the rest of nigeria is safe for them.May God also protect them from armed robbers, militants,
etal in the civilised south
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by denex: 4:23pm On Aug 10, 2007
And may God protect them from MEND, cultists, exploding pipelines, ritual killings, adulterated kerosene, and as they travel down, may God protect them from fatal accidents due to bad roads.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Kwara APC Faction Writes INEC For Withdrawal Of Candidates' List / Kogi 2019: Dino Melaye Storms Kogi West And Central (Video) / AfDB Appoints Rabah Arezki As Vice President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.