Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! (19595 Views)

Is Senator Bala Ibn'Nallah's Dress Code To An Event Right? (pics) / Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation / Why We Barred Females From Wearing Trousers In Offices – Plateau Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by zubbiedan(m): 11:39am On Aug 07, 2007
Na wao see as islam and christain war dey start
see as one just knock all of heads together and una wan kill una self.
this is not possible,abeg which paper carry the news,cos just called my guys in benue state and they said nothin like that.
abegi make una no kill una selves embarassed
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by ThoniaSlim(f): 12:34pm On Aug 07, 2007
what has wearing trousers got to do with morality. please they should face better issues at hand. angry
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by ono(m): 12:46pm On Aug 07, 2007
There's nothing ChristMus about dressing up. It's all in your mind.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 1:08pm On Aug 07, 2007
I Think is issue should be over by now, cos is becoming something else,

why is it that people are blaming Islam for this, Islam didn't prevent wearing trousers.
@babysis you said Christianity is from the heart? yes any religion is from the heart, but practicing it is what makes you a believer.

Let me tell you something that you don't know most of Us find your self in our religion today because we find our parent practicing it and we never bother to ask why.
so my dear grow up wink

@ the topic

Well to me (everybody is in tile to his own opinion)

Dressing code is good but it should not be generalized "trousers" cos there are some trousers that worth wearing in a publics. let it be "banned of indecent dressing in public places"

because indecent dressing in courage rape, sexual harassment etc.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Iman3(m): 1:15pm On Aug 07, 2007
nurexg:

I Think is issue should be over by now, because is becoming something else,

why is it that people are blaming Islam for this, Islam didn't prevent wearing trousers.
Can women,wearing trousers, walk the streets of those states that declared Sharia Law?Can they do so,for instance,in Zamfara? Islam is notoriously demanding in sartorial matters concerning women.To the extent that we are discussing women's freedom to chose their clothing,Islam inevitably and naturally comes into the equation.

let it be "banned of indecent dressing in public places"

because indecent dressing in courage sex-attack, sexual harassment etc.

So women should bear responsibility for the collapse of self-discipline amongst sexually perveted men?
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 1:16pm On Aug 07, 2007
zubbiedan:

Na wao see as islam and christain war dey start
see as one just knock all of heads together and una wan kill una self.
this is not possible,abeg which paper carry the news,because just called my guys in benue state and they said nothin like that.
abegi make una no kill una selves embarassed
@zubbiedan,
No paper carried the News oh it is one Guy that just posted oh and Nairalanders are here fighting religious war.
@ some posters ( Those ones who turned this to a religious war)
shame on you, this only reveals the bigot in all of you, It is not even a confirmed News and all of you are bringing out your Machets and cutlasses to fight. Shame, Shame on you.
The sad thing is that most of you live abroad so you want to lock our heads so when the fight start you stay there and be quoting statistics of the number of dead people and complain of religious bigotary in Nigeria when you people are the real bigots.
Shame on you
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Iman3(m): 1:26pm On Aug 07, 2007
aisha2:

The sad thing is that most of you live abroad so you want to lock our heads so when the fight start you stay there and be quoting statistics of the number of dead people and complain of religious bigotary in Nigeria when you people are the real bigots.
Shame on you

It is us living abroad that are the "real bigots".Those who actually do the killings are the "unreal bigots".The religious fanatics who kill people,who subjugate women in the name of Islam are just powerless pawns of us,the scheming expatriate Nigerians.

This thread is relevant to the wider issue concerning the lack of freedom,amongst women,to dress how they want.We know how it is in many Muslim states in Nigeria.Adressing this issue is very much called for.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 1:35pm On Aug 07, 2007
I-man:

Can women,wearing trousers, walk the streets of those states that declared Sharia Law?Can they do so,for instance,in Zamfara? Islam is notoriously demanding in sartorial matters concerning women.To the extent that we are discussing women's freedom to chose their clothing,Islam inevitably and naturally comes into the equation.

So women should bear responsibility for the collapse of self-discipline amongst sexually perveted men?
What evidence do you have to back up your Claim that women are not allowed to wear trousers in the North. Have you heard of any report that a woman was harrassed in Zamfara or any Northern State? Have you ever been to the Noorth?
All you Ignorant Bigots make me really sick
I-man:

It is us living abroad that are the "real bigots".Those who actually do the killings are the "unreal bigots".The religious fanatics who kill people,who subjugate women in the name of Islam are just powerless pawns of us,the scheming expatriate Nigerians.

This thread is relevant to the wider issue concerning the lack of freedom,amongst women,to dress how they want.We know how it is in many Muslim states in Nigeria.Adressing this issue is very much called for.
When people like you raise unnecessary sentiments when there is none and stay there on your computers and post stupid comments
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 1:42pm On Aug 07, 2007
I-man
Am sure you will love to hear that that people have started killing each other in the North so you can justify your bigotary.
As for addressing the issue, There is no issue at all because if this was true a paper would have reported it, all you claim happened only in your twisted mind. I am a Christain who has lived in the North for years and i have never been harrased for wearing trousers.
It is yet to be proven that girls were harrased for anything in Benue and people like you have turned it into a religious war
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Iman3(m): 1:47pm On Aug 07, 2007
aisha2:

What evidence do you have to back up your Claim that women are not allowed to wear trousers in the North. Have you heard of any report that a woman was harrassed in Zamfara or any Northern State? Have you ever been to the Noorth?
All you Ignorant Bigots make me really sickWhen people like you raise unnecessary sentiments when there is none and stay  there on your computers and post stupid comments

Ok you win,women can walk the streets of Gusau in trousers.Women are not harrassed about their dressing in Zamfara and some of the Islamic states.I wonder where I got that idea from! Zamfara is a beacon of liberal tolerance.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by swiftycool(m): 1:49pm On Aug 07, 2007
Wether the info about Benue state is true or not, im not really bothered but this post is for the ignorant
or biased follow-the-crowd christians / muslims, who think women in trousers is bad, here is some education!

Jewish women (which included the old christian community) for centuries had similar fashion culture to Arabs, meaning trousers for women were simply a traditional acceptable attire.
They wore specially designed ankle length trousers shaped to match their body under their "dishdashas"
This was even acceptable during the period of Jesus, his disciples and till date
When the sanction on women wearing mens' clothings came, those trousers were not what it was refering to

The fact that some churches today are full of follow the crowd xtians who dont even understand the bible, doesn’t mean u should after all your enlightenment  be like them
TROUSERS for women are even better, more secure, smarter and very honourable, it doesnt make u less a woman, nor more a harlot
The bible never told women not to wear trousers, it said not to wear mens' clothings[b] TROUSERS ARE NOT MENS CLOTHINGS ALONE[/b]
If you believe you know better than this, i beg u to challenge me with facts that are founded and not the dumb "our pastor said" bullshit
most of those pstors are blinded by limited human theological reasoning and not the direction of the holy spirit
Mind u i am a christian too
[/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 2:10pm On Aug 07, 2007
I-man:

Ok you win,women can walk the streets of Gusau in trousers.Women are not harrassed about their dressing in Zamfara and some of the Islamic states.I wonder where I got that idea from! Zamfara is a beacon of liberal tolerance.

Let me help you guess; from your bigoted mind. I am sure you are sitting in front of your computer reading this and hoping there will be an outbreak of violence so you can justify your theroies and prove me wrong.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Danmasani(m): 2:13pm On Aug 07, 2007
I-man:

@ I-man. What evidence do u have of women being stopped from wearing their trousers or skirts in Kano or Zamfara. Like Aisha said, most of you here know nothing about the North, read sensational stories of isolated events in the papers and make your entire biased conclusions of  the North from Kwara to Sokoto state. If not, how naive can someone like PTH or Babyosi be when claiming that Sharia is the cause of the recent discrimination women face ( if it is true at all) in Benue state. Benue state i can even attest to be one of the most liberal thinking states in the federation. Ive tons of friends from the there and like most people of North central states tend to be very easy-going. Trouser wearing or indecency doesn't give us sleepless nights one bit. Go to University of Jos, Bayero University Kano or Ahmadu Bello Zaria and see for yourselves, Trousers are not an issue at all. People were them left and right, unhampered and undiscriminated.
For your question- Do women wear trousers in Zamfara state? Yes, My aunty has lived there for 15 years and can wear anything she wants. It is a free society. Even school children, boys and girls wear trousers to school just so you know. So keep your bleak view of the place if you know nothing about it!

Sick of people trying to think they are better off!
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by phatayee(m): 3:11pm On Aug 07, 2007
I,m so sorry 4 u guys, Benue state is a prodominatly Xtian (90% are Xtian). Is the present Governor a muslim? why cann't u be reasonable be4 u make contribution to d topic.
I can see religious hatred in u. Good luck & keep it up.

Islam & Xtianity has come to stay forever.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by wendymanda: 3:25pm On Aug 07, 2007
Before the coming of the Europeans and the Arabs,were not African women skimpily dressed? Are the bare breasted Koma women victims of Western influence?

The irony is that those who assert that African women must cover up as much as possible, and that such a failure to cover up is a product of Western influence, are promoting values first transmitted to us by outsiders.
Extremely true my friend. If only someone could say this to those idiots in power trying to or may already have put this stupid idea into effect. People constantly talk about western influence. Unless Nigeria is planning to lock itself away from outside influence of any form, denying woman the right to wear whatever in the hell they want is an idiots attempt to suppress women.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 3:31pm On Aug 07, 2007
This thread is about a state in Nigeria banning women from wearing whatever they deem good on them.
grin grin grin

Even those educating us that sharia has no stipulations on women dresses and attitudes can lie all they want just to stress a point.
It's not as though lady babyosisi is moving to Gombe tomorrow. grin
which one "consine" me.

I just learnt today that sharia in northern Nigeria means freedom and peace and all the ones murdered for allegedly touching the Koran were struck down by allah himself grin
una try.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 3:50pm On Aug 07, 2007
yes as much as we do not support the infringement of anybody's rights we should try to stay on the issue and not stray to unnecessary issues.
Nobody's right was violated in a Moslem state if any Governor decided to order that which i greatly doubt we should query His action alone and not accuse any particular religion because the issues at hand have not warranted any religious attacks.
Let us try to be sensible with the things we say.
When we caa not understand each other we should learn to tolerate.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 3:52pm On Aug 07, 2007
undecided
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 4:26pm On Aug 07, 2007
aisha2:

yes as much as we do not support the infringement of anybody's rights we should try to stay on the issue and not stray to unnecessary issues.
[b]Nobody's right was violated in a Moslem state if any Governor decided to order that which i greatly doubt we should query His action alone and not accuse any particular religion because the issues at hand have not warranted any religious attacks.[/b]Let us try to be sensible with the things we say.
When we caa not understand each other we should learn to tolerate.

committee of concerned Christians for allah CCCA
where were you when women were denied riding on same buses with thier husbands, flogged for mounting okada and little kids kidnapped and forced to convert to allah'soldiers in your own nation.
please weigh your words before blurting them out.

when a religious head orders the burning of churches and gets away with it,that is a violation.
I guess all those who died in northern violence are just unfortunate souls
when were the hoodlums brought to book?
Is that a violation or not?
abeg !
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 07, 2007
Babyosi, its no use talking to people like you, You stink of ignorance and Bigotary. Where in the North did you leave and witness such.
Infact let me save my breath for someone capable of logical reasoning. Who can support superfiscal claims with evidence that such events actually took place in reality not in thier sick consorted mind
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by PTH(m): 4:52pm On Aug 07, 2007
behold allah's disciples.

Nigeria is a paragorn of religious tolerance! grin
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by romeo(m): 5:05pm On Aug 07, 2007
babyosisi:

committee of concerned Christians for allah CCCA
where were you when women were denied riding on same buses with their husbands, flogged for mounting okada and little kids kidnapped and forced to convert to allah'soldiers in your own nation.
please weigh your words before blurting them out.

when a religious head orders the burning of churches and gets away with it,that is a violation.
I guess all those who died in northern violence are just unfortunate souls
when were the hoodlums brought to book?
Is that a violation or not?
abeg !

WORD!!! i couldn't have said it better
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 5:06pm On Aug 07, 2007
Yes Nigeria is a Paragon of religious tolerance, you are the few bad eggs.
For your information i am a Christain
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by romeo(m): 5:10pm On Aug 07, 2007
aisha2:

Babyosi, its no use talking to people like you, You stink of ignorance and Bigotary. Where in the North did you leave and witness such.
Infact let me save my breath for someone capable of logical reasoning. Who can support superfiscal claims with evidence that such events actually took place in reality not in their sick consorted mind

aisha2:

Yes Nigeria is a Paragon of religious tolerance, you are the gew bad eggs.

you stink and i am sure you have never been inside a church
you stink because you talk crap and real Christians are not called Aisha
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by grafikdon: 5:15pm On Aug 07, 2007
aisha2:

Y[b]es Nigeria is a Paragon of religious tolerance,[/b] you are the few bad eggs.

Say what? I believe you meant to type 'intolerance'
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by 9child(f): 5:23pm On Aug 07, 2007
saying muslims are more than xtians in nigeria ia a mere fallacy. chech microsoft encarta for more info.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by PTH(m): 5:37pm On Aug 07, 2007
aisha2:

Yes Nigeria is a Paragon of religious tolerance, you are the few bad eggs.

The problem with incurable optimists is that they themselves are unwitting tools in the hands of those for whom intolerance and bigotry is a religious principle. What makes advanced countries great is the benefit of foresight and the willingness to confront the truth no matter how unpleasant.

aisha2:

this is the ready excuse in the hands of those who think merely being a christian gives them the moral high ground to continously appologize on our behalf to those whose ultimate goal is to make us slaves in our homeland.

Answer this simple question - if Nigeria is 40% christian why is it a tacit member of the OIC?
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by wendymanda: 5:50pm On Aug 07, 2007
The problem with incurable optimists is that they themselves are unwitting tools in the hands of those for whom intolerance and bigotry is a religious principle. What makes advanced countries great is the benefit of foresight and the willingness to confront the truth no matter how unpleasant.

Here here my friend. Not many is willing to confront anything that makes their country look bad especially if it deals with religion.
For that person that said something to the effect of Muslim state. It is not a part of the Koran that wearing trousers is unsightly to the eyes of Allah. Not that I have read the Koran or anything but my Muslims friends wear Trousers and I don't they will be cast into the outer abyss for that. Well I hope not.

My father who is a pastor used to not let me wear trousers he said it was not Christian like. After we watched a news special how men wore cameras on their shoes to look under women he quickly began singing a different tune. [color=#006600][/color]
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Danmasani(m): 5:50pm On Aug 07, 2007
romeo:

you stink and i am sure you have never been inside a church
you stink because you talk crap and real Christians are not called Aisha

See how stupid someone can be? So because she is called Aisha automatically makes her a muslim,  sad sad sad

Romeo or whatever u call yourself? are u intelligent at all or is it outright madness? which one for you? Do you know that most people from Southern Kaduna for example where i hail from bear arabic names like Bello, Haruna, Aisha, Zubairu and are  full blown xtians. Consider this- Senator Haruna Zego Aziz or Mr Hassan Hyet, so they should be muslims ehn? Same goes for most parts of the north where xtians bear arabic name. I for one also!

See this is what i have been saying here. Alot of ignorant people are saying things they don't know. someone said women  were whipped on Okada in Northern Nigeria?/ , where specifically did this happen? I'm going to need truly concrete answers or is ti just your obscure imagination. perhaps Seun should begin to ask for evidence-then we will see as some people will stay mute.

Do you know that riots in Kaduna, Kano, Jos also involved the murder of innocent muslims and destruction of mosques and Islamic centres of worship. I say because I witnessed it myself. So all those saying Islam this, Islam that have got to look into their own hearts. I pray moderates continue to hold on to what Nigeria is- a place where tolerance is at peak. For Babyiosi, PTH, Romeo and other bigots here in the house, pray, you learn to write with your senses than with your ass!
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by debosky(m): 5:52pm On Aug 07, 2007
PTH:

Answer this simple question - if Nigeria is 40% christian why is it a tacit member of the OIC?

Politics of the Northern Elite who ruled in the late 80's and 90's, which Obj did not abrogate

Y'all should stop dissing Zamfara state my second home, women wear trousers peacefully without harassment, muslim and non muslim alike, so the trouser thing is definitely not a 'sharialized' thing. To be frank, if not for its backwardness, Zamfara state would be one of the best places to live in the North - it is peaceful and there are virtually no religious disturbances there from my time there and others that I know

trousers banning is not a sharia/muslim thing, it is a subtle attempt to enrich the Cotton merchants of Zaria/Kaduna axis by making long made in Nigeria skirts the compulsory dress code. I tell you by the time this is over, people will be rushing to plant cotton and forget about oil! grin grin grin
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Danmasani(m): 5:54pm On Aug 07, 2007
PTH:

Nigeria is a member of the OIC because Gen Ibrahim Babangida inducted her into it. No one is also stopping her from joining any xtian organization anywhere. It will ultimately not bring food to every Nigerian's table so i dont see why it should give anyone sleepless nights.
Besides, Obasanjo once attended an OIC meeting! Thats for a start!, why didnt you chop his head for that since he is your hero!
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by moondust(m): 6:06pm On Aug 07, 2007
like that's going to make them less promiscous

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Israel Begins Mass Deportation Of Nigerians. / Fake Police Commissioner Arrested In Abuja / Buhari’s Ministers Have No Accommodations - Kachikwu [VIDEO]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.