Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,949 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! (19592 Views)

Is Senator Bala Ibn'Nallah's Dress Code To An Event Right? (pics) / Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation / Why We Barred Females From Wearing Trousers In Offices – Plateau Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by PTH(m): 6:12pm On Aug 07, 2007
debosky:

Politics of the Northern Elite who ruled in the late 80's and 90's, which Obj did not abrogate

Danmasani:

Nigeria is a member of the OIC because Gen Ibrahim Babangida inducted her into it.

Yet more excuses, yet more lame attempts to explain away the absurdity that Nigeria really is. Yet more ridiculous attempts at analysing the lopsided nature of nigerian politricks. Did Babangida take us to the OIC of his own volition or he was pushed to do it by the northern oligarchs whose major goal is the sharialization of the south?
But for the British colonialists, Usman Dan Fodio and his gang of murderers intended to ride their conquest down to the sea.

Danmasani:

No one is also stopping her from joining any xtian organization anywhere.

this is mere wishful thinking. When the sultan calls on muslim groups to "counter" the activities of missionaries in the south, when ordinary mohammedan cartoons in Denmark lead to death and destruction in Sokoto or Kano we may as well wait for the next holocaust the minute Nigeria attempts to join the Organisation of Christian Nations.

Danmasani:

It will ultimately not bring food to every Nigerian's table so i don't see why it should give anyone sleepless nights.

this is myopic reasoning at best. That it does not put food on your table does not negate the political consequences of such a foolhardy venture.

Danmasani:

Besides, Obasanjo once attended an OIC meeting! Thats for a start!, why didnt you chop his head for that since he is your hero!

Obasanjo would do anything to please his northern masters, no wonder the south voted enmasse for Olu Falae. I dont expect anything from an Obasanjo who is quick to denounce CAN members as fools but is curiously quiet when the north explodes into another paroxysm of religious outrage.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 6:52pm On Aug 07, 2007
I used to worry about the lot of our Northern Christians including southerners who have to live amongst these muslim "peaceful sons of allah"
I didn't know they are already comfortable in hijabs and burquas.
shouting allahu akhbar louder than their neighbors
let me carry my pity somewhere else grin
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 6:59pm On Aug 07, 2007
9child:

saying muslims are more than xtians in nigeria ia a mere fallacy. chech microsoft encarta for more info.

my dear,the same way Kano is more populated than Lagos.
I think their namas are their sons and daughters too.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by wendymanda: 7:06pm On Aug 07, 2007
like that's going to make them less promiscous
Good point. Even if you cover up a LovePeddler a LovePeddler will be a LovePeddler. All these people are doing is wasting time and energy and looking to brutalize women. And people wonder why Nigeria has a bad name.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by romeo(m): 7:17pm On Aug 07, 2007
Danmasani:

See how stupid someone can be? So because she is called Aisha automatically makes her a muslim, sad sad sad

Romeo or whatever u call yourself? are u intelligent at all or is it outright madness? which one for you? Do you know that most people from Southern Kaduna for example where i hail from bear arabic names like Bello, Haruna, Aisha, Zubairu and are full blown xtians. Consider this- Senator Haruna Zego Aziz or Mr Hassan Hyet, so they should be muslims ehn? Same goes for most parts of the north where xtians bear arabic name. I for one also!

See this is what i have been saying here. Alot of ignorant people are saying things they don't know. someone said women were whipped on Okada in Northern Nigeria?/ , where specifically did this happen? I'm going to need truly concrete answers or is ti just your obscure imagination. perhaps Seun should begin to ask for evidence-then we will see as some people will stay mute.

Do you know that riots in Kaduna, Kano, Jos also involved the murder of innocent muslims and destruction of mosques and Islamic centres of worship. I say because I witnessed it myself. So all those saying Islam this, Islam that have got to look into their own hearts. I pray moderates continue to hold on to what Nigeria is- a place where tolerance is at peak. For Babyiosi, PTH, Romeo and other bigots here in the house, pray, you learn to write with your senses than with your ass!

your own stupidity has no boundary!! is Aisha the mother of Christ? or was Aisha the wife of Muhamed? if the southern Kaduna people bear such names then it leaves a lot to be said about their religion and beliefs

i don't know of any moslem with the name of Mary and and if you tell me that some Christians in the north are called islamic names, then i'll advice you to look for another thread because you lack argument
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by wendymanda: 7:20pm On Aug 07, 2007
your own stupidity has no boundary!! is Aisha the mother of Christ? or was Aisha the wife of Muhamed? if the southern Kaduna people bear such names then it leaves a lot to be said about their religion and beliefs

i don't know of any moslem with the name of Mary and and if you tell me that some Christians in the north are called islamic names, then i'll advice you to look for another thread because you lack argument

This rings very true. Though extremely funny there is truth to every humorous sentence.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 7:34pm On Aug 07, 2007
I told you guys the northern Muslims have since been beaten into submission.
when a so called Christian will name his Children after Mohammeds child bride and concubines what's left?

are there no biblical names or native names like Laraba and Jumai he could choose from? or is this a way to blend in with the "sons of allah"
I can understand a convert from Islam keeping his Islamic name,like my brother m4malik but I can't understand one born into a Christian home being that stupid.

what has Christ got to do with Shango? grin
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Nobody: 7:41pm On Aug 07, 2007
Do you know that riots in Kaduna, Kano, Jos also involved the murder of innocent muslims and destruction of mosques and Islamic centres of worship. I say because I witnessed it myself. So all those saying Islam this, Islam that have got to look into their own hearts. I pray moderates continue to hold on to what Nigeria is- a place where tolerance is at peak. For Babyiosi, PTH, Romeo and other bigots here in the house, pray, you learn to write with your senses than with your ass!

@ danmasani,eke n'umu chu kwa gi oso grin
what started the riots?
Christian Almajiris hungry for Muslim blood after a blood boiling sermon on the "sermon on the mount"

It's obvious between the 2 of us who's reasoning with their  complete faculty,you may be typing with your hands but the center of your reasoning is down in your danmasani grin grin tongue grin grin
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Iman3(m): 7:46pm On Aug 07, 2007
Of all the names for a Christian to bear,it is the name of Muhammad's 6 year old wife-Aisha.Why the Arab names in the first place? 
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by wendymanda: 7:58pm On Aug 07, 2007
this is mere wishful thinking. When the sultan calls on muslim groups to "counter" the activities of missionaries in the south, when ordinary mohammedan cartoons in Denmark lead to death and destruction in Sokoto or Kano we may as well wait for the next holocaust the minute Nigeria attempts to join the Organisation of Christian Nations.

You can challenge the fact that Muslims tend to act crazy. Even when the Nigerian girl won Miss World but the contest could not be held in Nigeria the next year because Muslims believed beauty contests are evil. Sometimes despite what you think and believe others should be able to do things their own way. It is not always fair to infringe ones beliefs on the rights of others. The fact that Nigeria sends its girls to beauty pageants means that some people don't have a problem. Imagine the money that could have been made if the pageant was held in Nigeria.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by debosky(m): 8:12pm On Aug 07, 2007
you guys are being unfair to Aisha, after all she did not tell you whether she is a convert or someone born into a Christian home

Mamaosisi and I-man cease and desist forthwith from such accusations, it isn't fair.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Iman3(m): 8:16pm On Aug 07, 2007
debosky:

Mamaosisi and I-man cease and desist forthwith from such accusations, it isn't fair.

What accusations are you talking about ?
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by debosky(m): 8:47pm On Aug 07, 2007
i meant castigation of Aisha by virtue of her name/casting aspersions on her Christianity due to a name she did not decide to give herself
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by santony2k(m): 9:22pm On Aug 07, 2007
Ok, I'll like to contribute my 2 cents after reading all seven pages.

This is ridiculous. My beloved country is turning into something else. Let's stop deceiving ourselves here people, WE ARE A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY. "Developing" my ass. WE have a long way to go.

But as per the topic, when people are getting paid to do unnecessary things like banning people from wearing trousers, you realize they have too much time on their hand. Instead of tackling that issue. All those involved should wear gloves and pick up the dirt on the floor and clean the gutter. ALL off them will make a huge difference if they did that for only a day.

Thank you. (my 2 cents)
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by wendymanda: 9:35pm On Aug 07, 2007
Ok, I'll like to contribute my 2 cents after reading all seven pages.

This is ridiculous. My beloved country is turning into something else. Let's stop deceiving ourselves here people, WE ARE A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY. "Developing" my ass. WE have a long way to go.

But as per the topic, when people are getting paid to do unnecessary things like banning people from wearing trousers, you realize they have too much time on their hand. Instead of tackling that issue. All those involved should wear gloves and pick up the dirt on the floor and clean the gutter. ALL off them will make a huge difference if they did that for only a day.

I would say they should use that time and money to crack down on bribe takers but then again these are they same people that take bribe. We are always saying Nigeria is the cream of Africa. Deep within my heart when all those I am trying to fool are gone I know it's a load of crap. Have you seen South Africa? It seems only when white people are around can anything go right. Thank God Lagos is no longer the capital as it would be a crying shame to know that such fallacy ihas befallen Nigeria in the name of decency. THEY could honestly use that money to feed people, fix the damn roads, keep electricty on for longer periods of time. I wish the fools putting this garbage into effect would think about more improtant issues plaguing Nigeria.

I posed this question earlier and I will pose it again hopefully I can get an answer. If a foreigner is wearing pants what will happen? Even worse wearing some skimpy shorts. White girls don't like the African heat and they tend to prefer shorts. What if the person is not even white but is a foreign born Nigerian. The next page will be when people go, say to the each they may have to wear bedsheets.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Iman3(m): 10:11pm On Aug 07, 2007
debosky:

i meant castigation of Aisha by virtue of her name/casting aspersions on her Christianity due to a name she did not decide to give herself

All that you deduced from this
Of all the names for a Christian to bear,it is the name of Muhammad's 6 year old wife-Aisha.Why the Arab names in the first place?

The above is a fair question to ask.Why is a Christian parading around in an Arab name,moreso the name of Mohammed's 6 year old wife?

If it is her birth name,that maybe exculpatory.If it is her chosen moniker,she deserves some vitriol.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by denex: 10:12pm On Aug 07, 2007
ARABIC IS A LANGUAGE, ARABIC IS NOT A RELIGION!

The meaning of Aisha is: ALIVE AND WELL. Is that muslim or is it Christian?

Why do people like to thing ignorantly? ENGLISH NAMES ARE NOT CHRISTIAN NAMES!

What is wrong with people. My friend's name is Seun Fatogun. Why don't you people say he is a Shango worshipper just because he doesn't have an english name.

Some people are dull. Some people are really very, very dull and enormously stupid.

I'm seriously getting tired of this Nairaland. Also, muslim women started wearing trousers in order to dress decent centuries before European women took it as a fashion statement.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Iman3(m): 10:32pm On Aug 07, 2007
@Denex a.k.a I am delighted to see Americans die in that bridge incident.

I told you you are an ignorant oaf! grin Your ignorance extends to even comments apparent to everyone.No where did I claim that Aisha is a Muslim name.Here are my posts:
Why is a Christian parading around in an Arab name
Why the Arab names in the first place?

You effectively posted to inform me that Aisha is an Arab name,even though I always refered to it as an Arab name. Do you use this forum through a translator? Perhaps,your gripe is with me asking why a Christian parades around in an Arab name.That is a fair question to ask of a non-Arab Christian.Why does an African,a non-Muslim,use an Arab name?

You may say she has the freedom to use whatever name she wants.Fair enough.But it is also fair to ask,'why this name? Accepting arguendo your point. Muhammad supposedly means "highly praised".Is "highly praised" Muslim or Christian?I might as well walk around calling myself Muhammad and condemn anyone who queries why a non-Arab Nigerian Christian is walking around with such a name.

I'm seriously getting tired of this Nairaland.
Good riddance!Your posts are a  mockery of a farce of a farce of a mockery.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by denex: 10:44pm On Aug 07, 2007
@I-man

I did not particularly refer that post to you. The worst you said was that it was the name of Muhammed's young wife.

Others fared worse by clearly saying that the name was an Islamic name.

Anyway, in case the discussion gets heated later, remember that you drew first blood by calling me an ignorant oaf.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by grafikdon: 10:48pm On Aug 07, 2007
This thread don head south o.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Iman3(m): 10:59pm On Aug 07, 2007
grafikdon:

This thread don head south o.

Nonsense!The thread is heading to the North,the Muslim North.We need to examine why there are restrictions on Muslim women's clothing in certain Northern states.This goes to the heart of the issue raised by the thread.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by debosky(m): 11:08pm On Aug 07, 2007
the heart of the issue? I don't think so

the state in question is not 'muslim' and can thus not be referred to as part of the 'muslim north'

is it at all possible in your mind that Islam is NOT a factor in the decision Christian Benue State to enact such a 'code'?

Granted there are some issues with muslims/Northern Nigeria and women's dressing, but I fear the strong emotions attached to that issue is beclouding the proper examination of this case for its own merit/demerit.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by PTH(m): 11:10pm On Aug 07, 2007
denex:

I did not particularly refer that post to you. The worst you said was that it was the name of Muhammed's young wife.

Was it not the name of the child bride of mohammed?

denex:

Others fared worse by clearly saying that the name was an Islamic name.

Is the name a hindu or christian name?
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by denex: 11:16pm On Aug 07, 2007
@PTH

People dey talk, "Malu" come join dem.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by denex: 11:24pm On Aug 07, 2007
@I-man.

Restrictions on muslim women's clothing in certain Northern states?

Benue? Muslim women?
Lagos? Muslim women?

Restrictions on muslim women regarding trousers?

Haba, I went to High School in Kano and during that time, our principal noticed that muslim girls used to wear trousers under their skirts as a way of dressing more decently and he had to ban it. Giving no religion special preferences.

Wearing trousers is actually recommended by Islam.

The rate at which you guys are taking this discussion, if Cross Rivers state should implement this policy, you will also blame it on Islamic extremism.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by Iman3(m): 11:27pm On Aug 07, 2007
debosky:

the heart of the issue? I don't think so
the state in question is not 'muslim' and can thus not be referred to as part of the 'muslim north'.

The issue is,to what extent should restrictions be placed on women's choice of clothing? You may be better informed than me but I'm not aware that Benue State actually enacted any "dress code". The thread invoked the  issue of women's sartorial freedoms,an issue more pertinent in the Muslim North.

The thread is not restricted to Benue State in particular,we can't verify the story.So to restrict our analysis to Benue would be risible.There is no point in debating a story that has not been substantiated.While we wait for the poster to substantiate the story,we may as well address the larger and more relevant  issue of why women,most especially in the  Muslim North ,face such restrictions.

There is no Benue issue to discuss untill the Benue story is substantiated.If you want to discuss unsubstantiated issues,start a thread called: Speedy Gonzalez Code In Abia;Men Banned From Premature Ejaculations!
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by debosky(m): 11:29pm On Aug 07, 2007
I-man:

There is no Benue issue to discuss untill the Benue story is substantiated.If you want to discuss unsubstantiated issues,start a thread called: Speedy Gonzalez Code In Abia;Men Banned From Premature Ejaculations!
grin grin grin

ok I-man, I catch your drift.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by PTH(m): 12:08am On Aug 08, 2007
denex:

@PTH

People dey talk, "Malu" come join them.

yawn. the usual "constructive" contributions from airheads.
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by BABEELOVE(f): 12:42am On Aug 08, 2007
grin grin grin I was wondering if there was a difference between an "air head" and a "block head"
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by moirme: 12:52am On Aug 08, 2007
Can u imagine pastor adeboye too has converted into a muslim, he has been forced by the imperialists northern muslims to ban women from wearing trousers to redeem can u imagine. Comments pls

http://www.thenewsng.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3228
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by wendymanda: 12:58am On Aug 08, 2007
Ok. I don't know if this pastor Adeboye has converted to Muslim or not but growing up I had thought that women wearing trousers was something frowned upon by all Nigerians. My father is a pastor and he said that it was not proper for women to wear trousers. He has since stopped that nonsense but yes. I am just speaking honestly about this. We've lived outside of Nigeria for thirteen years and no matter how bushman you are you have to adapt and an adaption he made was allowing his daughters to wear trousers
Re: Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! by PTH(m): 1:24am On Aug 08, 2007
BABEELOVE:

grin grin grin I was wondering if there was a difference between an "air head" and a "block head"

lol talk of craving attention desperately. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Asset Declaration: Saraki Ends Historic 14-day Cross-examination Of Witness / Nigeria Air Force To Get 3 JF17 Fighter Aircraft From Pakistani Air Force / Power Failure Is A Thing Of The Past - Goddy Jedy Agba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.