Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,539 members, 7,812,671 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:18 PM

Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos (36049 Views)

A Street In Onitsha After Heavy Rain / Heavy Rain Causes Flooding In Kano City (photos) / Heavy Rain in TBS , Surulere Stadium that brooms cant sweep, God Angry With APC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by denzel2009: 1:06pm On Jul 11, 2011
Road side mechs will be smiling to the bank.
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by tolu001: 1:20pm On Jul 11, 2011
This is a serious problem not just caused by the present administration but a result of many years of poor town planning system, poor drainage system, and lackadaisical  attitude of people to proper environmental sanitation.

The government on his part needs to clear the waterways and the blocked drainage, construct new and modern ones, make legislation on building plans more stringent, become more vigilant and strict with workers at the urban and regional town planning offices who give backdoor approvals to illegal construction when they in fact know such constructions are being done on waterways.

They need to provide waste bins at every junction in the state while such bins must be emptied on a regular basis. Commercial vehicle owners must be forced to put waste bin in the vehicles and the passengers encouraged to use such bins. Whoever failed to oblige whether the commercial bus driver or any member of the public should be made to pay a relatively huge amount of money as fine or spend some time in jail (between 1-3months) depending on the gravity of your offense.
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by atasteve: 1:24pm On Jul 11, 2011
Good drainage is also key in combating this menace!
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by airmark(m): 1:24pm On Jul 11, 2011
If you don't know how to swim, don't come to Lagos. Shikena
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by mechris: 1:24pm On Jul 11, 2011
]Road side mechs will be smiling to the banks.

do you want to switch job, al be it, temporarily?
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by hackney(m): 1:27pm On Jul 11, 2011
This will never happen in Owerri because Mbakwe built proper drainage systems almost as good
as the london one (underground networked) except for the open gutters.
God bless that man and his family for us.

A lot of structural flaws cannot be corrected in lagos because they have been overtaken by crowdy buildings.
still fashola should do something about the flood and not just give public holidays.
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by ashlamonki: 1:38pm On Jul 11, 2011
This downpour has created an avenue for d touts and robbers to be attacking pple majorly along oshodi apapa eexpressway,govmnt should wake up to their task and rescue us.
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by amdman: 1:41pm On Jul 11, 2011
I weep at the reality of the Nigerian condition. My heart saddens each day I see a nation having so much doing so little. LAGOS IS FLOODED! Women, children, men washed off and drowned in the flood that overtook the city yesterday. Homes flooded, cars damaged, so much went awry on this day that the skies opened without let.

While I will not embark on the futility of demanding why the Govt did not construct and desilt drains to avoid these frequent calamities, it troubles me that human beings were left to the mercy of the elements by a Govt that they once trusted and still fund. Where were the Police, Civil Defence, Army, NEMA, LASEMA and the plethora of agencies that’s it’s our Govt’s favourite past-time to inaugurate? In civilized climes, the security agencies are quickly deployed in search and rescue operations to ensure no life is lost. But here, we suffer the damages and count the cost thereafter, waiting for the next event in a zombie-like existence.

And the one that galls me the most? We move on… like nothing happened. We are on our desks already doing the time. Our psyches so battered that nothing moves us anymore. Who will sound the rally call? Who will shout the battle cry?
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by EEVICTOREE(m): 1:42pm On Jul 11, 2011
It's all about the rain, Praise the Lord!!! someone said. The Lord just gave me a new wet infinity FX45 jeep!!! I was just coming our of my house and i saw the flood bringing in my blessing!!!Indeed it's a shower of blessing and its marvelous in my sight, the Lord will surprise someone with duplexes, blackberries, shoes, umbrellas etc. grin
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by mrofficial(m): 1:43pm On Jul 11, 2011
Apapa-oshodi Express way, first rainbow.

Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by mrofficial(m): 1:44pm On Jul 11, 2011
More

Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by mrofficial(m): 1:48pm On Jul 11, 2011
My area.

Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by CuteTj(m): 1:55pm On Jul 11, 2011
@tolu001 and hotestlegs, u are rite. Uve said all i wanted to. Let the brainless pple continue to blame Acn, Pdp and others for their misfortunes and self imposed woes. Instead of proffering solutions they are busy blaming the government of the day.
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by dave2(m): 2:00pm On Jul 11, 2011
this is serious ooooooooooooooooooo shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by FILEBE(m): 2:00pm On Jul 11, 2011
u chop biscuit, throway the wrapper for ground, u drink bottled water u throway am fiam commot from ur car! u  buy pure water, u drink am finish u throway the non biodegradable  sachet ontop the main road, u no send abi? evert time dem go dey shout fro media! dispose refuse properly! dont throway dutty for grown! mba! DENM NO GO HEAR WORD!
FASHOLA IS WORKING LAGOSIANS ARE STUBBORN!

serious, at my area, where they are constructing that 8 lane road,the drainages were so deep that i was afraid that an adult may fall inside and he wont be able to come out! they had barely finish constructing the drainages when i started seeing refuse pilling up dere, most of which are pure water sachet,cans, plastics etc! that was wen i truly knew that we are the cause of our own disasters!  God help Lagos,God help Nigeria!
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by airmark(m): 2:01pm On Jul 11, 2011
I  just imagine how ajegunle ikorodu road area will look like.
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by shawonlese: 2:11pm On Jul 11, 2011
To further enhance transportation in Lagos state, Lamata has taken delivery of 150 CRT's.   These CRT's will be deployed immediately to ease the transportation problems of Lagosians on all Lagos roads.   grin grin grin

At the event launching ceremony, the CRT's Canoe Rapid transport were draped in colourful ribbons.
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by redsun(m): 2:12pm On Jul 11, 2011
With d rising sea level,lagos can easily be submerged without proper channelling and fortiications against watery elements
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jul 11, 2011
Lagos state Government should be humble enough to consult Governpr Akpabio of Akwa-Ibom state on how he constructed the drainage system in Uyo
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by EEVICTOREE(m): 2:50pm On Jul 11, 2011
BREAKING NEWS!!!
I learnt dat d Rain has reshuffled
lagos,houses are being moved 2
new locations. ,
Eko hotel now in Abule Egba,
, Mile 2 now in orile,
kirikiri prison now in oniru,
Unilag now in ikorodu,
Shoprite now in Ilasamaja, Alausa Secretariat now in
Badagry.

Pls confirm ur own location b4 settin out,
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by denzel2009: 2:53pm On Jul 11, 2011
mechris:

do you want to switch job, al be it, temporarily?

I don't mind, they make unlimited amount of money with their skill.
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by Abuloma80(f): 2:54pm On Jul 11, 2011
Disaster can be natural or man made. That is their (Lagos) version of BOKO HARAM!
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by Andrew3(m): 2:58pm On Jul 11, 2011
end time is approaching grin
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by dramenda(f): 3:05pm On Jul 11, 2011
so m
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by agitator: 3:07pm On Jul 11, 2011
Abuloma80:

Disaster can be natural or man made. That is their (Lagos) version of BOKO HARAM!
man made natural disaster undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by ideylaff: 3:19pm On Jul 11, 2011
Lets be sensible here, and apply common sence please, digging a 100 metre stretch hole dont mean drainage, system, abi people no read book 4 here,

Lets not overlook leprosy and start looking after ringworm, i beggiiiiiii.

This issue is 90% Government and the rest is orientation of the people and mindset,

during the olden days we never used to throw things for road now, wetin, come happen now,

den say flood dey, instead make the leaders hold den hands up 2 say, we have failed, some bum lickers are saying its iya alamalas fault,

some posters have  just confirmed to me, with all the posts on this thread, they really and truly are __________ lipsrsealed

Anyone who uses a disaster in another country as an excuse for another governments short comings, surely is beyond redemption

what some posters are simply saying is, "It's okay, shebi US 2 dey flood, ha oma she oooo/what a pity

Thats the problem, u never see people like ds saying its taken Malaysia xyz years to get to where they are etc, and we got independence around the same time, their kernel industry was based on our very own Kernels/,  shocked

GOD HELP US, bum lickers , please keep your mouth firmly pressed on Tinubus back side as well as Fasholas,  keep licking,

I'm not scared and I'm not a sycophant/back side kisser, I already Told BFT as it is privately as a friend yesterday, and im sure he's taken it on board

when your kids come home with 1 out of 10, in a subject , just say to them  "ITS OKAY", shebi, the person next door kid even scored 0 out of then
@ least you got 1,

WHAT A PITY, we have come to this, some posters need to cover their faces in shame, using this flood to point fingers @ people and all. what about the leaders elected,

BRF and Tinubu are the ones appointing commisssioners, parastatal heads, and directors approving land and new build on areas meant to be mapped out as channels for drainage, abi the people are responsible for that as well,  issssh

The fact that previous goverments have failed to address ds issue does not mean the government of the day should not fix it or absolve themselves of the blame,

ITS PATHETIC, if anyone is sitting on the same fence as the its not the governments fault side , please please have a rethink, please do,

Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by agitator: 3:28pm On Jul 11, 2011
^^^^ grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by mbulela: 3:42pm On Jul 11, 2011
For once i am supporting the govt.
what exactly is the present govt expected to do?construct drainages in the sky?
the truth of the matter is that half of lagos ought notto be habited by houses and persons.there is a limit to which you can cheat nature.all these sandfillings and building houses everywhere are catching up with us.
even the existing drainages are not maintained by lagosians.fashola can not deploy workers to clean drainage 24/7.both the rich and poor in lagos are the dirtiest set of humans i have ever seen.throw away your refuse from your rolls royce and out of the keke marwa as if it is a sport for which you will receive a medal.
the roads are littered,the gutters are filled with filth and you expect not to be flooded in the rains?
there is little fashola can do short of demolishing half of the houses in lagos to build more drainages and carrying a cane to flog both rich and poor (big and small) as they litter the town.
Fashola will not deliver us from our filth.
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jul 11, 2011
horrible pics but this is what poor drainage and heavy rain can cause.
http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2011/07/11/5-found-dead-in-ikeja/

Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by blacklion(m): 4:04pm On Jul 11, 2011
mbulela:

there is little fashola can do short of demolishing half of the houses in lagos to build more drainages,

If that what it takes, then he just has to man up, get his engineers to identify those houses blocking drains/natural waterways, demolish them, then compensate the property owners, then build proper drainage and canals. Half of central Paris was demolished in the late 19th century by the French government to create the modern city that we know today.

BTW what happened to the Lagos-Ogun mega-city project? The future of Lagos is in Ogun state, not Lekki corridor and Eko Atlantic etc. Fashola should focus on re-energizing the mega-city and getting the FG to play its role.
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jul 11, 2011
i learnt that flood raided a house somewhere in agege, swept away 1000 naira notes and left a change of 150 naira that was never there before grin. uuuunnnnmmmmmmmmmmmmhhh!!!!
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by ICHINONYE(m): 4:12pm On Jul 11, 2011
tank GOD d rain hz stop for d main time,i heard it will last til thursday only GOD can help in dat situation cuse more pple will die from this disaster,we shud not only blame d govt here but all of us,dis moring i saw pple trowin in deir rubish inside the water,wat harm do u tink that wil cuse more if u ask,some Nigerian realy need n attitudinal change if not we cant progress in this country, imagine wen i was teling one man wat he s doing s not rite,hear him out ( dis na my opportunity to tro all d dirty wey dey my house) u see dont blame GOV FASHOLA more, we need to come together to move this country forward its only want we have.

dis re pic i got from my face book page,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Who Will Mrs Tambuwal Vote For As Sokoto Governor, Her Husband Or Brother / "Buhari Is The Best President Nigeria Has Ever Had" - Turkey Based Igbo Man / Israel Sunny-Goli Escapes Assassination As Gunmen Storm His Residence. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.