Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,536 members, 7,812,666 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:11 PM

Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos (36048 Views)

A Street In Onitsha After Heavy Rain / Heavy Rain Causes Flooding In Kano City (photos) / Heavy Rain in TBS , Surulere Stadium that brooms cant sweep, God Angry With APC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by Rhea(f): 4:16pm On Jul 11, 2011
[size=13pt] We as Lagosians are paying the steep price for our individual and collective near-barbaric sanitary attitudes which MUST change if we intend to work out a solution to this mess. We can sit down on our rain soaked chairs and mattresses and curse Fashola and GEJ from now till Ramadan. That will not solve the entire problem. If you have ever thrown any trash on the streets or inside the drain/gutter, be it tom-tom wrapper or sachet water bag, you are part of the cause of the disaster that we all are facing today. If there is a lesson to be learned here, it is this: WATER WILL ALWAYS FIND ITS LEVEL AND ITS WAY. If you block the drains, it will channel itself through our streets and find its way into our bedrooms on its way to the Atlantic. It is that simple. The land level in Lagos is still above the high tide level of the Atlantic ocean, Thus any runoff should ideally find its way into the ocean. It is left for us to clear the path for the runoff by keeping our drains free of debris and disposing our garbage with decency, or allow the runoff to find its way to the ocean (through our streets, bedrooms and roads) [/size]
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by UZORY007: 4:20pm On Jul 11, 2011
This is terrible

Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by johnjoel(m): 4:23pm On Jul 11, 2011
cry shocked the things about Lagos is making me to

Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by Patnoble: 4:36pm On Jul 11, 2011
What a mess,lagos has become a way going.the gvt need to see to this,why should it be that every raining season lagosians complain heavily about water,
its high time the governor need to see to this before it cause more havoc to the people in lagos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shocked
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by UZORY007: 4:43pm On Jul 11, 2011
God help us o.

Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by jmaine: 4:45pm On Jul 11, 2011
Wondering what Bishop street in Mushin Area will look like cry cry . . .Am sure, the water level rose so high that taking a snap shot will only be possible in a buoyancy mode ( Floating with legs not touching the ground) . . . The irresponsible expansion of people into flood prune areas without regard to initiating/ engineering a proper drainage plan is now telling on us . . . we in Onike/Sabo areas are living in Paradise . . No scent of flooding observed  grin grin . .Landed properties around the area is bound to shoot high . . .And the landlords are anticipating their windfall including me  cheesy . .
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by ezeagu(m): 4:47pm On Jul 11, 2011
If this was a developed country we would have know the death toll.
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by gee2(m): 4:48pm On Jul 11, 2011
ACN, democracy and water

Fashola is workin,
Lagos is flooded
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by CuteTj(m): 4:52pm On Jul 11, 2011
Ive been day dreaming about residing at the yet to be developed Eko Atlantic City whenever its finally developed but now im having a rethink. @ ideylaff, instead of proffering solutions ure blaming the government. Is it not u and i's fore fathers, fathers, mothers e.t.c that started Nigeria and have made it the way it is?? All ure bent on doing is to apportion blame on the government and others without wanting to take responsibility for anything. U just want to sleep one fateful night to wakeup and find a new Nigeria the next morning without adding ur input. What is Nation Building?? Nigeria is still at that stage and we should not rest on our oars and say Nigeria is bad, its going to get better one day? How? When all you do is blame government for the ills in the society. Yes, the government should shoulder the blame but are we going to stop there? We Nigerians should always be objective and rational in our thinking. The Nigeria that fully functions will be enjoyed by my grandchildren and im ready to take that beating for them! Americans have done that, that is why everything works there. @ ideylaff, u should be ready to do that too.
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by tlops(m): 4:57pm On Jul 11, 2011
Southern Sweden has been struck with flooded roads and railroads, closed stores, fires caused by lightning strikes and thousands of homes left without power, after a heavy thunderstorm hit the area on Saturday.

The Swedish meteorological institute (SMHI) warns that troubles may not be over yet.

"A thunder cloud has formed over Skåne. When the weather is this warm and humid, this can cause very powerful thunderstorms, with downpour and gusts," said Eva Strandberg, meteorologist at SMHI, to news agency TT.

The violent storm blew in over Östergötland and Småland, south-eastern areas of Sweden, on Saturday. At worst, 2500 households in the Norrköping area were left without power.

SMHI has issued a class 1 warning, which means there could be certain risks to the general public, and the deluge caused chaos in the areas worst hit by the storm.

Outside of Linköping, 120 millimeters of rain fell in less than two hours, reported local emergency services. The rainfall flooded several roads, and caused extensive damage to houses.

"Many urban areas are flooded with water, and roads and railroads are underwater," said Leif Stenberg, head of rescue operations in Linköping.

The region was also hit by numerous fires caused by lightning, including one private home. Several stores were forced to close after losing power.

"We've been getting calls non-stop. We've had people stuck in elevators that we've had to help out," said Michael Strömberg, in charge of Norrköping's emergency services.

SMHI reports that the risk for thunder continues on Sunday in several areas of southern Sweden: Öland, Gotland, Skåne, Blekinge and Småland.

The unsettled weather is also expected to continue into the coming w
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by EfeEkarume(m): 4:58pm On Jul 11, 2011
City Mall is now in Okoko, Oh my God! Metro cinema is coming to join it too! Yaaaa!
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by tlops(m): 5:01pm On Jul 11, 2011
Denmark!

Two days of violent rainstorms have left Copenhagen and eastern Zealand under water; monsoon-like conditions are expected to continue

Saturday's rains left many motorways, including Lyngbyvej, impassible (Photo: Scanpix)

The deluge began on Saturday evening following a day of muggy hot temperatures. And when all was said and done, some 150 millimetres of rain had fallen on Copenhagen in less than three hours. It was as much rain as the area normally gets in two months. The Danish Meteorological Institute (DMI) recorded 18,602 lightning strikes.

Central Copenhagen was hardest hit. In nearby Roskilde, where the annual Roskilde Festival was in full swing, they were lucky. There, just 50 millimetres fell.

A woman wades through the water flooding Ryparken Station Staurday night (Photo: Scanpix)

The tracks at Copenhagen’s main train station, Hovedbanegården, were under water and Tivoli Amusement Park had to be evacuated.

“There is just one word to describe it, and that is ‘chaos’,” said public broadcaster DR reporter Preben Lund from Hellerup Station on Saturday. Lund described exit tunnels filled with rain and sewage water and commuters running across the train tracks to avoid using them.

On Sunday morning, residents and shopkeepers throughout the city were still bailing and pumping out flooded basements, mopping muddy floors and hauling waterlogged furniture, books and clothes to bins.

Mud lines centimetres up building walls and piles of drowned rats, washed out of overflowing basements and sewage pipes, were a common sight many places around the city.

“There are thousands of dead rats,” Klaus Palskov, owner of the sewage service company ABC Kloak og Ejendomsservice told Politiken newspaper.

Palskov’s company was busy throughout the weekend pumping water out of flooded basements at both residences and businesses. Insurance companies and clean up services also reported heavy call volumes, with waits to get through lasting for upwards of 30 minutes.

Business was also brisk at the region’s home centres, where dehumidifiers and shop-vacs were long gone by Sunday afternoon, and mops and buckets were on many customers’ lists.

The 50mm of rain recorded at the Roskilde Festival were enough to muddy the fairgrounds, but not enough to dampen the spirits of most festivalgoers (Photo: Scanpix)

“Jutland. Try, Jutland,” attendants at the Silvan home centre in Birkerød repeatedly told customers looking for dehumidifiers on Sunday. Most had turned up looking for ways to dry out their soggy basements after learning that it could take over a week for clean up services to work through their backlogs.

After a few hours of drying sunshine on Sunday afternoon, the rain began again – though luckily not as violently.

On Monday morning the chaos continued, as soggy commuters struggled to get to jobs in the city. Train and bus service was delayed in all directions due to downed switching signals, muddy tracks and washed out roads. Some roads – like parts of Amager Motorway on the city’s southeast side – were still under water.

After being paralysed on Sunday, train service had come back online after makeshift repairs to washouts, including one near Nordhavn Station that halted traffic on the Kystbanen commuter line. Service, however, remained spotty and train operator DSB said it expects disruptions will continue for the next few days.

Adding to the problems, many traffic lights were still out of service after the storms.

Beyond the inconvenience of traffic delays and train cues, Copenhagen’s deputy assistant police commissioner Henrik Møller Jakobsen told Politiken that there were continued dangers due to the massive flooding.

“It’s important to be aware that manhole covers have been washed away and there are big holes in the roads now because of the water,” Jakobsen said.
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by dani1luv: 5:02pm On Jul 11, 2011
CuteTj:

Ive been day dreaming about residing at the yet to be developed Eko Atlantic City whenever its finally developed but now im having a rethink. @ ideylaff, instead of proffering solutions ure blaming the government. Is it not u and i's fore fathers, fathers, mothers e.t.c that started Nigeria and have made it the way it is?? All ure bent on doing is to apportion blame on the government and others without wanting to take responsibility for anything. U just want to sleep one fateful night to wakeup and find a new Nigeria the next morning without adding your input. What is Nation Building?? Nigeria is still at that stage and we should not rest on our oars and say Nigeria is bad, its going to get better one day? How? When all you do is blame government for the ills in the society. Yes, the government should shoulder the blame but are we going to stop there? We Nigerians should always be objective and rational in our thinking. The Nigeria that fully functions will be enjoyed by my grandchildren and im ready to take that beating for them! Americans have done that, that is why everything works there. @ ideylaff, u should be ready to do that too.
U better rethink ya rethink,

--
And they told us oh, to vote for the Umbrella's undecided undecided
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by KayDee4: 5:31pm On Jul 11, 2011
Oh men, this is terrible but s**t happens

Blame it on the rain

Blame it on the government

Blame it on everyone that dumps stuff in the drainage.
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by jmaine: 5:32pm On Jul 11, 2011
dani1luv:

U better rethink ya rethink,

--
And they told us oh, to vote for the Umbrella's undecided undecided

This one pass voting for umbulerra . .cos it has being a generational problem . . with previous government not giving it it's due attention but are rather concerned in increasing their tax regime irrationally . .  Just hope, Fash will intensify his efforts to complete his new drainage systems and also freeing up some clogged ones . .  We need to also visit our incessant knack to reclaim land from the sea without making adequate provision to cater for the attendant problems such as this . .
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by ideylaff: 5:45pm On Jul 11, 2011
Ive been day dreaming about residing at the yet to be developed Eko Atlantic City whenever its finally developed but now im having a rethink. @ ideylaff, instead of proffering solutions ure blaming the government. Is it not u and i's fore fathers, fathers, mothers e.t.c that started Nigeria and have made it the way it is?? All ure bent on doing is to apportion blame on the government and others without wanting to take responsibility for anything. U just want to sleep one fateful night to wakeup and find a new Nigeria the next morning without adding your input. What is Nation Building?? Nigeria is still at that stage and we should not rest on our oars and say Nigeria is bad, its going to get better one day? How? When all you do is blame government for the ills in the society. Yes, the government should shoulder the blame but are we going to stop there? We Nigerians should always be objective and rational in our thinking. The Nigeria that fully functions will be enjoyed by my grandchildren and im ready to take that beating for them! Americans have done that, that is why everything works there. @ ideylaff, u should be ready to do that too.

@ Cute Tj, of .cos I'm ready to play my very own part in making our society a better place.

I'm not saying the people should be absolved of the blame for this at all, im saying where is the voice of the elected government, where is the action,

1. I can tell u as a fact that I do not throw things on the road within the environment I dwell in, , my driver is not allowed to do so as well as people who hang around me.

I have bn known even to have a go @ friends for dropping cigarette buts on the road

what I just don't get is the arrogance, swagga and lack of responsibility our leaders take in doing things right,

if the train fails in the UK, as in the tube or surface trains, the right channel of complaint exist and the people responsible are always apologetic to the letter S, its always Sorry sorry sorry we will fix it, we will get it right,

I repeat, drainage system is more than just digging a 100 metre trench, where is the water.waste flowing to,

are the people responsible for building and allocation of land with reckless abandon.?

if d government leads by example, people will surely follow,

but when u allow a big man to build a big mansion on a street and don't enforce the rule that his drainage passage has to be
able to accommodate his waste,  or u make allowance for drainage up to the end of the street with no link to another channel

u are already making recipe for disaster

whose fault is that?

Tell me really with the amount of figure we float around mega projects, New Lekki Airport, can that not be channeled to alleviate this problem

if you don't learn how to crawl, why try to walk,

I bet you in a week, the government will fly in some experts on environmental issues after a 20 man visit to the country, and then some clowns will
make a banner for the seminar "HOW TO DEAL WITH FLOODING IN THE 21s CENTURY"

The commissioner will show up in agbada with the rest of the ministry people sit for 4 days at the expense of tax payers money, drink coffee and tea all day, sign some document and put it away locked up with no action.

A secondary school boy can easily come up with a solution to these never ending malaise,

I begiiiiiiiiii, we 2 dey complicate things,

I have never known/seen any country that has some much talk, seminar, road show, workshop and whatever like 9ija,

The other day I saw a week long seminar on Oil, 50 years in Nigeria, what is the meaning of this, 

maybe it should have bn tagged Oyel, A curse or what, 50 years of it in the pocket of a minorty few,
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by EfeEkarume(m): 5:51pm On Jul 11, 2011
Kay-Dee:

Oh men, this is terrible but s**t happens

Blame it on the rain

Blame it on the government

Blame it on everyone that dumps stuff in the drainage.

Blame it on July the rainy month.
4bobo:

i learnt that flood raided a house somewhere in agege, swept away 1000 naira notes and left a change of 150 naira that was never there before grin. uuuunnnnmmmmmmmmmmmmhhh!!!!
I think a mermaid took it.
££VICTOR££:

BREAKING NEWS!!!
I learnt dat d Rain has reshuffled
lagos,houses are being moved 2
new locations. ,
Eko hotel now in Abule Egba,
, Mile 2 now in orile,
kirikiri prison now in oniru,
Unilag now in ikorodu,
Shoprite now in Ilasamaja, Alausa Secretariat now in
Badagry.

Pls confirm your own location b4 settin out,
Lagos is now been shuffled like a pack of cards? WHOT?
::Andrew:::

end time is approaching grin
Ssh! Its here.
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by vislabraye(m): 6:08pm On Jul 11, 2011
I dont think that our government ever thought raining season would come because they never planned for it. Drainage are allows blocked by road construction and all. It's not just Fashola's administration it was there before he came. It only became worse in his tenure.

If you keep constructing roads you can't use during raining season, what is the whole point ?
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by nethacker(m): 6:16pm On Jul 11, 2011
this is y insuring one's property is good. How will these affected victims cover their losses? pple wey their appliances spoil nko? na wa oo grin grin
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by Kobojunkie: 6:22pm On Jul 11, 2011
agitator

Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos
« #97 on: Today at 10:26:03 AM »

Lagos which has been experiencing floods for a long time and people are saying this his a natural disaster! Angry

Isn't that the way? Pretend to be SHOCKED each and every time the same old thing happens?? ROFL Last year alone, hundreds of thousands were displaced in the Ketu-mile 12 axis. This year, people are still here PRETENDING it is all happening for the VERY FIRST TIME. grin
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by CuteTj(m): 6:30pm On Jul 11, 2011
@ideylaff, i understand ur point but Just because this oil money is being mismanaged thereby getting it into the hands of a few, just because the government mostly pays lip service to issues concerning its people should not stop us from hoping that all these will change one day. We just have to keep doing what is right. Naija go beta!!
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by CuteTj(m): 6:31pm On Jul 11, 2011
@ideylaff, i understand ur point but Just because this oil money is being mismanaged thereby getting it into the hands of a few, just because the government mostly pays lip service to issues concerning its people should not stop us from hoping that all these will change one day. We just have to keep doing what is right. Naija go beta!!
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by Kobojunkie: 6:34pm On Jul 11, 2011
^^^ What are you doing that is right? I mean as a citizen, are you SURE you are doing your duty in this? Or are you there PRETENDING that by making wishes on stars, thinks will MAGICALLY become better?
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by chei: 6:38pm On Jul 11, 2011
If an occurrence of this magnitude takes place next year in lagos, then you should know that fashola is wasting his time.
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by jacobs123(m): 6:41pm On Jul 11, 2011
mbulela:

For once i am supporting the govt.
what exactly is the present govt expected to do?construct drainages in the sky?
the truth of the matter is that half of lagos ought notto be habited by houses and persons.there is a limit to which you can cheat nature.all these sandfillings and building houses everywhere are catching up with us.
even the existing drainages are not maintained by lagosians.fashola can not deploy workers to clean drainage 24/7.both the rich and poor in lagos are the dirtiest set of humans i have ever seen.throw away your refuse from your rolls royce and out of the keke marwa as if it is a sport for which you will receive a medal.
the roads are littered,the gutters are filled with filth and you expect not to be flooded in the rains?
there is little fashola can do short of demolishing half of the houses in lagos to build more drainages and carrying a cane to flog both rich and poor (big and small) as they litter the town.
Fashola will not deliver us from our filth.

I guess you didn't figure that it's the responsibility to Govt. to clear drains. That's why we have LCDA's and Local govts instead they are used to settle the boyz. There's all sorts of levies in Lagos yet nobody does the job. As early as 5am, koboko wielding boyz are collecting money from Okadas in a state with a Government that expects you to pay tax. Go to Alausa and see the number of people doing nothing. The govt pays them pittance and they in turn pretend to be working.
I quite agree that Nigerians are dirty and stubborn but it all started when Governments failed at all levels. Have you ever been in traffic and the first person on the one way (facing oncoming traffic) is a police car.

The problem of most of Lagos is poor planning. ACN sees Lagos land as their crude oil and they are selling everywhere including water and sand filling everything then somebody says the lagoon is not receiving water. The lagoon is not receiving water yet they sand filled it close to Third Mainland bridge.
Did anyone see the lekki toll road yesterday, I guess it's also our fault that they gave a road construction job to a bricklaying company. To be fair the problem did not start with Tinubu but the problem has gotten worse under ACN's watch. Have you seen some of the companies given contracts to construct drains and the kind of job they do, sometimes these drains are like water storage tanks. Drainage construction is not a special technology, but it requires some thought, not just mixing cement and gravel, but the Local Govts in Lagos do not know that.

For those who don't know VI and Ikoyi have a comprehensive drainage system but it's all been blocked. You can even build close to drainage if you are sensible not to block it like the EXXONMOBIL building but how would they know you are a big man if you don't block drainage? Look at Ilubinrin, Dolphin, Parkview, the developments by the Lagoon on Ozumba/lekki way. Everybody wants to stay in Ikoyi/VI.

I'm sorry i couldn't collect my thoughts and arrange them well but it irritates me to think that anyone will absolve Lagos Govt. of these terrible calamity brought on the people by years of thoughtlessness on the part of Government but then Nigerians have been conditioned not to expect from Government. They took JFK's words to heart when in actual sense the American Govt. still does a lot for its people.

For those who think that because Americans have flooding, then Lagos can't be immune from flooding, please just keep quiet if you have nothing to offer.
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by Orikinla(m): 6:46pm On Jul 11, 2011
This is not a laughing matter, because precious lives were lost in the flood yesterday. A couple lost five members of their family, including children left in the care of a maid. I wonder why careless Nigerian parents think their kids are safer in the care of young maids who cannot even take care of themselves! It was terrible for many people yesterday. Only God can save us.
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jul 11, 2011
See my guy swimming front stroke in the lagos flood, shocked

Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jul 11, 2011
Lagos, we need some of these bins. wink

Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by Orikinla(m): 7:00pm On Jul 11, 2011
This is an award winning report. I thank the person who started this topic and every one who has contributed to this important discussion on this catastrophe. It is a report we should circulate, because the Holy Bible stated that people perish for lack of knowledge. Ignorance has done more collateral damages to Nigeria than corruption.
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by EzeUche(m): 7:05pm On Jul 11, 2011
Fashola needs to do something about this. . .
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by Orikinla(m): 7:15pm On Jul 11, 2011
The torrential rainfall and flood affected me as many people could not come to the Victoria Island for the second day of our film festival and a young lady fell in the flood on her way to the Silverbird Galleria. But I was heart broken to see flooded homes on the way home and many people stranded on the road.
Re: Heavy Rain Floods Parts Of Lagos by Kobojunkie: 7:19pm On Jul 11, 2011
chei:

If an occurrence of this magnitude takes place next year in lagos, then you should know that fashola is wasting his time.

You mean we should PRETEND similar occurrences in the years 2008, 2009, and even 2010 don't count at all? Wasting time, not sure but people need to stop kissing butt and start demanding action, yes, even from the so-called action governor. This problem is NOT NEW and we have known -- there has been data for decades showing that this is EXPECTED. Why are we still not remotely prepared?

And before people go about blaming those who built there houses in the way or whatever it is some of you are trying to make up here. This is the same Fashola who literally DESTROYED illegal structures even before celebrating his first year in office. Why should he now get some slack in this?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Atiku’s Kano Rally Throws Open Buhari’s Northern Strongholds / Who Will Mrs Tambuwal Vote For As Sokoto Governor, Her Husband Or Brother / "Buhari Is The Best President Nigeria Has Ever Had" - Turkey Based Igbo Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.