Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,510 members, 7,958,546 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 04:54 PM

5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria (38282 Views)

Misrule Worse Than Boko Haram-PDP / Tompolo Not Bigger Than Nigeria; He Must Be Arrested – Keyamo / APC ‘influencing’ Tribunal Judgements Is Worse Than Corruption, Fayose Counsels (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by GAR3TH(m): 3:24am On Jul 23, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Correction: there was never an argument. That the AVERAGE quoted on that site is at 250k DOES NOT remove from the fact that you can get a good house in Chicago for about 130K. A good condo in downtown chicago is available for 130K and above, even till today. If you doubt it, all you need do is a simple good search. Heck, TRULIA.com is a good place to start. Simple!

Simple But You continue on saying, Fueling an unnecessary argument.

"Chicago was that bad of a city? Are you people on drugs?  You calling a world class city BAD simply because it is not as expensive as the city you seem to have a HARD ON FOR? I tell you the home is only a couple of minutes, actually 3 miles from downtown and you ask me if it is bad? Even condos downtown ( in the highrise buildings sell for about 100K up, again, depending on what you want, and you are asking me if it is bad? Kai!!

Why would you live in a place where you know you are unable to afford? This is A MENTALITY problem and not an america problem. You do not move to Silicon Valley and then start to whine that houses there are expensive when you know it is above your means. It is COMMON SENSE!!!   

There are houses in Albany NY for about $130 K if it is by force that you live in NY, but if you must live in NY, then SHUT UP and stop complaining because it makes no sense to. Living in NY city comes with the NY city price tag!! No be by force that you live with the Nigerians in NY. There are Nigerians in Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Alabama, Nebraska etc.

Trying to throw America under the bus, citing some of the, for lack of a better word, MISERABLE CHOICES some people make, ain't gonna cut it. And yes, many Nigerians make these mistakes . . . living in cities they cannot afford and thinking THE MAN is the problem."

In which I had to reply. . .

My Replies to your post on NY was as a result of you trying to PRETEND it is a SUDDENLY a COMPETITION between NY and Chicago-and-the-rest-of-America simply because I made to tell the @OP that it is NOT BY FORCE TO LIVE IN NY if he/she cannot afford it.

Pretend? It was never a New York Vs Chicagos or america. I mentioned NY as an example, Simple, But you feed of that and you started a new argument for no reason. Look back and read the thread.
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by dramenda(f): 3:35am On Jul 23, 2011
i just want
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by Nobody: 3:41am On Jul 23, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Sooooooo . . . . . My life does not have a purpose because I can ride my bike and ENJOY even that? My life does not have a purpose because I live in America and have no complaints? You need to learn to stop thinking we all share the same mind issues/delusions you do . . .  WOW  . . . undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

grin grin grin grin grin grin

I hate you tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

Iyt seems you prefer to ride your bike in southside chi town more than making it possible to be able to do so in Maryland Ikeja!!!
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:46am On Jul 23, 2011
9jaganja:

I hate you tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

Iyt seems you prefer to ride your bike in southside chi town more than making it possible to be able to do so in Maryland Ikeja!!!

You this child, you get issues! I don't live in the south-side but the south-side actually looks fantastic -- well much of it now. There is hyde's park area where Obama used to live and little italy, Chinatown areas etc. I am not sure why you think south-side is bad.

Ofcourse it would be great if people in Nigeria could ride bikes and enjoy the scenes and exercise, not to forget the breeze, but I don't think Nigeria is there yet. Traffic is deadly and the drivers there drive as if they are on a mission to kill anything in their way still. I would not put myself on a bike in the middle of that and I don't think it would make sense to send others there. lol. . . .but if that is what you want to do, feel free to take on the batton oo.

P.S I don't live on the south-side
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by Nobody: 3:58am On Jul 23, 2011
Kobojunkie:

You this child, you get issues! I don't live in the south-side but the south-side actually looks fantastic -- well much of it now. There is hyde's park area where Obama used to live and little italy, Chinatown areas etc. I am not sure why you think south-side is bad.

Ofcourse it would be great if people in Nigeria could ride bikes and enjoy the scenes and exercise, not to forget the breeze, but I don't think Nigeria is there yet. Traffic is deadly and the drivers there drive as if they are on a mission to kill anything in their way still. I would not put myself on a bike in the middle of that and I don't think it would make sense to send others there. lol. . . .but if that is what you want to do, feel free to take on the batton oo.

P.S I don't live on the south-side

Hahahahhahha, I refuse to believe you anywhere other than SS Chi town tongue tongue tongue tongue

In fact you live in Englewood hahahahhahahhahahaha, I was there on Friday shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked maybe you were the lady who's bike got jacked by drunk teenagers I saw,

Let's go back to 9ja!! hahahahhah There are legit business I can introduce you to tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue, And you'll buy a car not a bike ahahahhahahhah, I got you on this time tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by dramenda(f): 4:01am On Jul 23, 2011
NIGERIANSill
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 4:06am On Jul 23, 2011
9jaganja:

Hahahahhahha, I refuse to believe you anywhere other than SS Chi town tongue tongue tongue tongue

In fact you live in Englewood hahahahhahahhahahaha, I was there on Friday shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked maybe you were the lady who's bike got jacked by drunk teenagers I saw,

Let's go back to 9ja!! hahahahhah There are legit business I can introduce you to tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue, And you'll buy a car not a bike ahahahhahahhah, I got you on this time tongue tongue tongue tongue
They say home is where the heart is, right? That your heart is in Nigeria DOES NOT mean EVERYOTHER person's is too.

I understand that some Nigerians feel they need to be in Nigeria and all that . . I get it. That feeling is in no way unique to Nigerians by the way, but eventually, many settle down and make a home where they are,and they start to wonder why they felt they needed to leave in the first place. I mean, it is OK that you want to go back to Nigeria and if you eventually do, that is fine. But stop assuming we all think as you, or live in the same Nigeria you do.

I don't NEED to go back to Nigeria . . . I have what I need here and if I need to take a trip or two down there for one reason or the other, that is fine. If however, you feel you will not have peace until you move completely back to Nigeria, then I suggest you hurry back there so you can finally get for yourself your peace of mind.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by igboboy1(m): 4:22am On Jul 23, 2011
dramenda:

i just want the poster to know there is no place like UNITED STATE OF AMERICAN on the face of this earth,even canada is a small verson of yankee,i leave in PHILADELPHIA with my family,trust me it was the best of life.am a nigerian born though,

you sound like a village boy taken out of the village yesterday, are u the first to go yankee?

U don travel go anywhere apart from yankee?
I did an asian tour last year and I saw wonders,
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by chiyex(m): 4:49am On Jul 23, 2011
I love it here in america.so many opportunities. Dont be biased.OP have u been denied visa or what?

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by Nobody: 4:51am On Jul 23, 2011
In American, there's nothing you cant achieve if you're dedicated. I've learned that. Nothing is impossible by God's grace. Just be determined and focused, know what you want and go after it.

As par the debt, me and Kobojunkie had that discussion a while ago; DO NOT SPEND WHAT YOU DO NOT HAVE. Some of us dont realize that until its too late.

Many ways to save money around here; but some dont want to bother knowing those ways.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by samtoye(m): 5:00am On Jul 23, 2011
@OP, you are misinformed. From the tone of your write up i can deduce you are one discouraged teenager that had listened to too many stories of woe from unsuccessful older relatives. I don't even think you have started earning a living or else you would have the right fact. 500k house? How many Americans live in such houses not to talk of immigrants and 40k jeeps? You kidding me? Me think you watching too much of CRIBS on MTV Base. Then recently most cars sold in nigeria were bought from US so if they are cheaper here after paying for shipping and duties then the seller must be a father xmas or NGO running a GEJ program called "cars for all by 2020". Also with all your theories and deduction you havent even been able to convince yourself not to talk of convince anybody because it seems you are still in that US ( thats if you were even there in the first place and not a disillussioned youngman that understudied US but wasnt given VISA). The truth is that nowhere is a bed of roses but to say livng in Nigeria is better than US is far fetched, each country has its own challenges but there are many advantages of livng in a developed society.There are many Mark Zukerberg walking the streets of Nigeria but the best they could be are cybercafe attendance or computer scammers just because there noble idea died within them for lack of enabling enviroment, if Seun Nairaland had been an American, Nairaland would have been listed on Walls Street and himself listed on Forbes but no, he is a nigerian where things dont work by default. Therefore my confused brother and fellow Nairalander - look before you leap or else your oncoming children would blame you!!!y 2020". Also with all your theories and deduction you havent even been able to convince yourself not to talk of convince anybody because it seems you are still in that US ( thats if you were even there in the first place and not a disillussioned youngman that understudied US but wasnt given VISA). The truth is that nowhere is a bed of roses but to say livng in Nigeria is better than US is far fetched, each country has its own challenges but there are many advantages of livng in a developed society.There are many Mark Zukerberg walking the streets of Nigeria but the best they could be are cybercafe attendance or computer scammers just because there noble idea died within them for lack of enabling enviroment, if Seun Nairaland had been an American, Nairaland would have been listed on Walls Street and himself listed on Forbes but no, he is a nigerian where things dont work by default. Therefore my confused brother and fellow Nairalander - look before you leap or else your oncoming children would blame you!!!

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by Nobody: 5:15am On Jul 23, 2011
the only reason America is worse than Nigeria is that you cant easily steal govt money in America.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by abbey621(m): 5:24am On Jul 23, 2011
@Poster- Even though you seem intelligent, u failed to completely ground yourself in proper research of America. Firstly I currently stay in a four bedroom house just outside of Atlanta, it's nice and in a quiet area and the value right now is less than 170k. The recession has made houses so cheap that you can get a decent house for even 40k. Dude! Nigeria no get food o, na rubbish we dey chop, if you reach here, u go salute food! Of course it's going to be worth more, good food demands good money. Finally who told you that you can't pay off student loans within the stipulated time, the major reason most Americans spread out repayment on their student loans is because the system allows them, imagine borrowing money from a bank in 9ja and the bank giving you 4 years and 6 month before you can start repaying and even after, you are given 15 years to complete the payment, that is what I called heaven on earth. So Mr.Man get your facts straight b4 posting rubbish next time.
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by Nobody: 5:27am On Jul 23, 2011
abbey621:

@Poster- Even though you seem intelligent, u failed to completely ground yourself in proper research of America. Firstly I currently stay in a four bedroom house just outside of Atlanta, it's nice and in a quiet area and the value right now is less than 170k. The recession has made houses so cheap that you can get a decent house for even 40k. Dude! Nigeria no get food o, na rubbish we dey chop, if you reach here, u go salute food! Of course it's going to be worth more, good food demands good money. Finally who told you that you can't pay off student loans within the stipulated time, the major reason most Americans spread out repayment on their student loans is because the system allows them, imagine borrowing money from a bank in 9ja and the bank giving you 4 years and 6 month before you can start repaying and even after, you are given 15 years to complete the payment, that is what I called heaven on earth. So Mr.Man get your facts straight b4 posting rubbish next time.

which food? a big mac?
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by tony451: 5:38am On Jul 23, 2011
tmi
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by Nobody: 5:53am On Jul 23, 2011
abbey621:

the major reason most Americans spread out repayment on their student loans is because the system allows them

No its because they cant pay. Imagine paying a $100,000 student loan with a mere $38,000/yr salary. You have to buy a house, a car, feed your family and still enjoy life on that while paying ur bills right? If you didnt have a long time to repay that debt you'd be in deep trouble.

abbey621:

imagine borrowing money from a bank in 9ja and the bank giving you 4 years and 6 month before you can start repaying and even after, you are given 15 years to complete the payment, that is what I called heaven on earth. So Mr.Man get your facts straight b4 posting rubbish next time.

That is what i call indentured servitude. You spend most of your teenage yrs accumulating debt and the rest of your best adult yrs struggling to pay them back. Those loans also restrict your ability to obtain more loans in future. No one will loan you $250,000 to buy a house if you are yet to commence payment on a $140,000 student loan + loan oon car!

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by tony451: 6:08am On Jul 23, 2011
tmi
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by Nobody: 6:14am On Jul 23, 2011
tony_450:

@davidylan exactly mate. i don't think @abbey621 has actuall knowledge of the student loan system. i refused to get a student loan myself because by the grace of god i could scrape money from other sources but all my mates here have accumulated so much debt that they'll find it difficult to pay back for a lon time. the worst case scenario i know of personally is an american with $350 000 debt after the end of college. after graduating he'lll have to move out of his parents house, get a job and his own car. by the time he takes out the monthly repayments, the lease on his car, taxes, rent, phone bills, utilities etc he'll barely have anything to spend on food an himself. thats if he even gets a job in this current climate. in order to make the rest up he'll probably get a credit card and be using money that he doesn't have which puts him in even more debt. beforeyou know it, he'll be 80 before he finishes paying off his debts and only if he doesn't become bankrupt, or lose his job, or have an illness that puts him in hospital which is veeerhy expensive here.

don't forget all these debts have interest rates. also if he's going to get married and have kids he'll have to pay for their education too etc etc. its far more of a curse than it is a blessing but people that don't understand the system think its a blessing to spend money that you don't have because their heads are stuck in the moment.

I dont think a lot of the folks posting flowery stuff about life in the US have started living without daddy's pocket money just yet.

$350,000 debt? shocked grin When is that ever going to be paid off? 2045? What the heck was he studying? Medicine or law? That is the only reason to rack up such debt . . . school loan debt cannot be discharged by declaring bankruptcy either. So sad.
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by Solozzo(m): 6:39am On Jul 23, 2011
There is no basis to claim that Nigeria is better than America. You need to use the indices to rate the quality of life in terms of life expectancy, unemployment rates, disability support systems, quality of health care,mortality rates and level of disease burden. Also availability of energy and clean safe drinking water.

All the points you cited can be modified by personal lifestyle. Not evey American is workaholic or heavy debtor. You xcan reduce stress by planning work and holidays and consume less bur Nigeria problems are difficult to surmount. How for instance, do you modify bad roads, lack of medical emergencynsupport systems or lack of regular electricity, corruption and poor quality education

Culturally home os best but some of our extended family are also burdensome. let's start a post asking NLs to choose between living in America and Nigeria and analyze the results.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by sirenoch1(m): 6:50am On Jul 23, 2011
[i][/i] i'll rather stay in my naija and work up d ladder than go and slave it in d u.s
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by Nobody: 7:09am On Jul 23, 2011
The Op is in America to hustle, Hence your problems. People with good jobs dont say this shit
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by GoldStandard1: 7:13am On Jul 23, 2011
@ Poster: Return to where you found your points and check out more sensible ones. These ones dont agree with logic, they're not even points!
How many Nigerians have you seen returning home after 2 weeks in America saying the place is unbearable?

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by Rastamann: 7:30am On Jul 23, 2011
What about the future of the youths, our children?

Irrespective of anything, people live where they feel secured and happy. Both living in Nigeria, America or anywhere else on this planets has its own stress, problems and concerns. So one should live where he or she will be happy and secured.

We, Nigerians, should learn to cut our coat according to our cloth. It is only when you have sufficient cloth that you can now cut it according to your size.
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by Nobody: 7:34am On Jul 23, 2011
America all the way, Make ur plan of spending, and u will never get into debt, so poster, America if far far better than Nigeria
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by Digriz(m): 7:59am On Jul 23, 2011
Gv me a Nigeria wt constant power supply,good roads and security and to hell wt ur America.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by God2man(m): 8:03am On Jul 23, 2011
The fact still remain, no place like home. Nigeria. I love my country.There is no place like my country. Money is not everything. You can make it here, YES. You do not need to travel out, except for holiday or sight seeing. Opportunities abound in Nigeria.God bless you. God2man
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 8:05am On Jul 23, 2011
Digriz:

Gv me a Nigeria wt constant power supply,good roads and security and to hell wt your America.

And when would you get that?

The thing about debt is you are not born with it, You chose to be in it most of the time.

A bank offers you credit card, you gobble it up, Who do you expect to pay it for you?

On the flip side many smart entrepreneurs in Nigeria are still as broke as ever because they cant get a 1million Naira loan

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by Sike(m): 8:19am On Jul 23, 2011
9ja till i rest in Peace!!
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by skyone(m): 8:26am On Jul 23, 2011
[center]Nigeria TO Nairaland Tabloid[/center]

1.   House Of Reps Okays Islamic Banking

2.   61Nigerians Deported From The UK

3.   43,000 Ghost Workers Discovered By FG In One Year

4 .  Former IG Okiro Ordered To Pay N50M Over Shady Land Deals

5 .  No Apology Over Islamic Banking – Sanusi

6.   Striking Anambra Health Workers Vow To Continue

7.   We Have 100 Volunteer Suicide Bombers For High Profile Targets - Boko Haram

8.   Yar’adua Made Me Acting President - Yayale

9.   Appeal To GEJ: 'Save Igbo Traders From Customs Harrassment

10. Boko Haram Splits Into Two Factions

11. Kwara ACN Warns PDP On Its Members Unruly Behaviour

12. Robbers Kill Police Chief In Ondo

13. We Can’t Pay New Wage :Abia

@Poster please refrain from self delusion and wake up to reality. Nigerian has a terminal disease called[b] "CORRUPTION"[/b] and with it, is deteriorating the country to her worse days in life. No security, no job opportunity, no good roads or water hence bad social amenities. over 70 million wakes up everyday with no hope for the future, while over 10 million may have no food to eat for the day. Senators killing senators, police attacking and killing innocent lives, soldiers giving out weapons to armed robbers, kidnapping another one, you name it.

Please do not mention any of your unfounded points to a starving young Nigeria that education is his concern not even the food to eat. Please do a re-think and call a spade a spade.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by samdigo(m): 8:27am On Jul 23, 2011
@ poster,

Shut up, USA is great

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by Digriz(m): 8:31am On Jul 23, 2011
One major problem wt Nigerians living in America is hardly they remembers home,always carried away by American life and nothing much to show back home.
If you do your statistics well you wl notice that others living in europe are better of than them.,i hv compared some of them in Germany,Austria and many other western europeans and some scandinavian countries wt those who hv lived in US even longer than them and d differences is wide clear.
You may be living a good life in America,spending a lot of dollars and Nigerians in ur area may be seeing u as a big guy bt right back at home,u are penniless. No investment,no good house not to talk of assisting ur people in Naija.
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by skyone(m): 8:40am On Jul 23, 2011
Digriz:

One major problem wt Nigerians living in America is hardly they remembers home,always carried away by American life and nothing much to show back home.
If you do your statistics well you wl notice that others living in europe are better of than them.,i hv compared some of them in Germany,Austria and many other western europeans and some scandinavian countries wt those who hv lived in US even longer than them and d differences is wide clear.
You may be living a good life in America,spending a lot of dollars and Nigerians in your area may be seeing u as a big guy bt right back at home,u are penniless. No investment,no good house not to talk of assisting your people in Naija.

The above is a personal choice not a factor that determines a country's standard of living.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Gov. Tambuwal receives body of Ex-president Shehu Shagari at the Sokoto Airport / APC & Tinubu Have Less Than 16 Days To Respond To Obi's Petition / Saraki Vs IGP: Photos From President Buhari's Meeting With Senate Delegation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.