Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,919 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria (37946 Views)

Misrule Worse Than Boko Haram-PDP / Tompolo Not Bigger Than Nigeria; He Must Be Arrested – Keyamo / APC ‘influencing’ Tribunal Judgements Is Worse Than Corruption, Fayose Counsels (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by kabukabu(m): 6:30pm On Jul 23, 2011
odumchi:

^^^
No one is comparing the US governemnt or economy to that of Nigeria. We are simply discussuing how well the US accomodates new Nigerian immigrants and what the pros and cons of living in the US are.

Nigerian immigrants to the US have a leg up on most other Asian /Latino or European immigrants because we speak ENGLISH.Unless you come from some remote town in Nigeria,adapting to life in the US is not that hard.But again it depends on personality type,a lazy,good for nothing groaner is probably going to get wake up to having their dreams of lofty living crashed.
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by buzugee(m): 6:35pm On Jul 23, 2011
kabukabu:

Nigerian immigrants to the US have a leg up on most other Asian /Latino or European immigrants because we speak ENGLISH.Unless you come from some remote town in Nigeria,adapting to life in the US is not that hard.But again it depends on personality type,a lazy,good for nothing groaner is probably going to get wake up to having their dreams of lofty living crashed.
you speaka da engrissss but you looka bery bery dipperent from white folk. asian and latino and eropean looka closer to whitey. so i guess that erases your advantage grin
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by kabukabu(m): 6:37pm On Jul 23, 2011
All this talk about culture difference,is not that big of a deal,most small towns in the US are no different from small towns in Nigeria especially in the Southern states.
Most are close knit communities where alcohol,and other vices are frowned upon.Nigerians tend to get caught up in the hype of what they watch on TV about the Us,most Americans are quite frankly about as ,or even more conservative culturally than Nigerians.Nothing experienced in the US is that different from what you would experience culturally if you grew up in urban Lagos,Port Harcourt,Benin or Calabar.
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by odumchi: 6:39pm On Jul 23, 2011
@Kabukabu

It might be the same english, but the terms are very different.

There was a film that I wathced about a Nigerian who went to America for the first time. The guy thought that everyone in America was on drugs because they asked for "soda" which has an alternate meaning in Nigeria. Spelling is a thing to take into consideration too. And yes of course as Bugzee stated.
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by buzugee(m): 6:42pm On Jul 23, 2011
kabukabu:

All this talk about culture difference,is not that big of a deal,most small towns in the US are no different from small towns in Nigeria especially in the Southern states.
Most are close knit communities where alcohol,and other vices are frowned upon.Nigerians tend to get caught up in the hype of what they watch on TV about the Us,most Americans are quite frankly about as ,or even more conservative culturally than Nigerians.Nothing experienced in the US is that different from what you would experience culturally if you grew up in urban Lagos,Port Harcourt,Benin or Calabar.
just cuz you are eating collard greens and hogmogs and pigfeet and pickled eggs and cornbread and grits and chitterlings dont mean you are a master of american life. just cuz you in da ATL all of a sudden you an expert on the humanities of america shocked
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by kabukabu(m): 6:43pm On Jul 23, 2011
odumchi:

@Kabukabu

There was a film that I wathced about a Nigerian who went to America for the first time. The guy thought that everyone in America was on drugs because they asked for "soda" which has an alternate meaning in Nigeria. Spelling is a thing to take into consideration too. And yes of course as Bugzee stated.

My guy,its not that hard,, and by the way Buguzee has halitosis,his breath stinks to the high heavens,so he squeaks his words of out the corner of his mouth,thats why he go chased back at the airport check in counter grin grin
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by buzugee(m): 6:43pm On Jul 23, 2011
odumchi:

@Kabukabu

There was a film that I wathced about a Nigerian who went to America for the first time. The guy thought that everyone in America was on drugs because they asked for [b]"soda" which has an alternate meaning in Nigeria[/b]. Spelling is a thing to take into consideration too. And yes of course as Bugzee stated.
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by buzugee(m): 6:46pm On Jul 23, 2011
kabukabu:

My guy,its not that hard,, and by the way Buguzee has halitosis,his breath stinks to the high heavens[b],so he squeaks his words of out the corner of his mouth,thats why he go chased back at the airport check in counter grin grin
[/b] you confusing me for chris webber. dude always talks out of the side of his mouth grin grin
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 6:48pm On Jul 23, 2011
buzugee:

Bros, etisalat pays some of their nigerian employees 50 million naira. i think this is like $380,000.

How many ppl in the whole of Nigerian economy earn salaries of $380,000 a yr and above.

Excluding business owners, pastors and Politicians

Its like saying I know some employees in Goldman Sachs or some hedge funds who earn over $1m a yr
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by ektbear: 6:52pm On Jul 23, 2011
This is probably one of the worst threads in NL history.

lol
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jul 23, 2011
buzugee:

bros, exactly what opportunities are in the USA sef ? lets even break it down. opportunities for what ? as far as i am concerned, unless you are in the medical field, there are no opportunities in america for you. you know how many unemployed are there in america ? you know how many nigerians are struggling in america ? you guys talk as if there is money out on the street to be had when you get to america. come on now.
put it this way
i have a computer repairs biz and now into starting a radio station with a few friends and at the same run a restaurant with another friend
could never ever ever have dreamt of this back in naija.not putting my country down but between being worried about my parents,my younger ones and myself,there was no space for other biz ideas which was basically stunting my growth back home
the ability to b able to do more than 1 thing at a time with no hindrance presents all sorts of opportunities
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by buzugee(m): 6:54pm On Jul 23, 2011
dayokanu:

How many ppl in the whole of Nigerian economy earn salaries of $380,000 a yr and above.

Excluding business owners, pastors and Politicians

Its like saying I know some employees in Goldman Sachs or some hedge funds who earn over $1m a yr
same can be said for america. the point here is that its achievable in both places.
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by Theblessed(f): 6:56pm On Jul 23, 2011
norrisman:

Sorry but this guy shouldbe called [b]Ode[/b]mchi as in [b]Ode[/b]chukwu Jonathan. I do not want to diss anyone becuase of their level of education but you must be either educated to a very low level or you are just plain dumb. All your examples are so meh!

1. Taking up credit is a personal choice. You do not have to make use of credit facilities but it may be necessary to do so to build your credit if you plan to buy a house in the future as you do not find overnight millioanires in america who can afford to buy a $500,000 house cash like you do in that mad country Nigeria where government officials use the peoples commowealth for themselves.

2. The 24 hour system is part of what makes the country and very few people work are compelled to do 12 hour shifts. even when you do a 12 hour shift, you ahve the appropriate number of days off. If you care to know my dads driver in Nigeria arrives at my house at 6Am in the morning and only leaves after droping my dad off at 10/11pm and he does this 6 days a week. sometimes he is asked to come on Sundays as well and there is no official overtime! how many ours is that. The same goes for the boys in my mums shop. 8am to 7pm Monday to Saturday for N12,000/ month.
3. Professional devalue my a$$. In the western world, experience counts. All your paper cerificates are worthless! What do you expect? To walk of the plane and into a $100,000/ year job? Wake up mofo! pay your dues.

4 Does any memebr of your family have N83,000,000 cash to pay for a house. Cut your coat. Tthere are house way cheaper than that. You can get $50,000 house in some run down parts of Atlanta if you can afford it. Please give me the contact details of the car seller in Nigeria where I can buy 2 brand new SUVs for N6.6million.

5. Screw native language. can Barack Obama speak Kenayan or whatever they speak over in kenya? Is he not the bloody president.

In summary, You are not a very bright spark!

[b][size=16pt]Hey, Mr Norrisman there's no need to be insultive and we all know how to do so, but restrain ourselves from it.  You too, can exercise some restraint here.

The writer had not insulted anybody here.  To you and others in your shoe, all he did wrong was to ask your opinions and you should not have given it if you felt, his asking was too irritating, than embarking on your trailer load of abuses.

The writer has a point - some I agree with him and some I don't but that does not mean that he is what your claim he is.

You see, I am not here to address that rather, an issue I'm passionate about - SLAVERY AND OPPRESSIVE PRACTICES.

And I ask, you who claim to have the spark of Solomon's wisdom, the writer hadn't - why is it you'd been unable to see the evil your own parents are perpetrating on the poor who are serving them?  Is it because, they have the power - the money therefore, they can enslave

You, yourself knows that they are enslaving them, don't you?  You even talked about people working long hours and knows it's wrong that your parents servants are subjected to this kind of slavery yet, you support this wicked and evil act of your parents.  By their fruit, we should know them, don't we

Look, I don't even blame your parents rather, you who claim to be smart but unwise.  

Imagine, someone working from 06.00hrs to 23.00hrs for just under #13,000 (13,000 Naira or whatever!) and you are here, proudly telling us about your fathers ego, to be driven somewhere he could not drive himself and your mother's entrepreneurship at the expense of the needy, shame unto you!

You can drive your own father, can't you? Obviously, you can't even get out of bed at that crock of dawn - 06.00hrs to drive him where ever he directs you, and then come home at 11pm and be happy, would you?  To that I say, may be this Scripture holds both you and your parents guilty unless you all repent and treat people well.

"Do unto others the way you'd like them, do unto you."  Would you or parents like to be treated that way, just because, somebody has 'power' over you Your parents could easily give them the money without even asking for their service - think about that!

It's all about doing good and doing the right thing. And I don't think they are doing good or even the right thing enslaving their servants with these oppressive terms/conditions of Service that, they imposed on them.  

The poor servants work and live in bondage at the mercy of your parents who are taking advantage of their weakness, needy state and poverty stricken life.

But, can't you help them?  Of course you can, at least by highlighting this evil to your parents, maybe, they'd change their ways.  However, you chose not to do something rather, came here and sub-consciously promoting your parents financial powers, in their oppression of the poor and needy.  shocked shocked shocked

But, here's the promise the Lord made to the needy perhaps, your would now, do something.

"For he will deliver the needy who cry out, the afflicted who have no one to help them.  He will take pity on the weak and needy and save the needy from death.  He will rescue them from oppression and violence, for precious is their blood in his sight" Psalm Chpt.72 v.12 - 14

Obviously, you can see what your parents are doing is wrong and according to the above Scripture, they are guilty. So help get them out of this behaviour, if you love them for there is nothing fun in abusing another human being simply because, you can.

Remember this, the Lord, gave us the skill to make money and he can equally take it away, at will. undecided undecided
[/size][/b]

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by IykeD1(m): 6:59pm On Jul 23, 2011
Una don come again. . .  beauty will always be in the eyes of the beholder, so here are a few things that I see. . .

1. US - Clean toilets just about everywhere you go.  Only God know what they call toilets in Nigeria
2. US - High life expectancy in the US  (this is where good roads, access to healthcare, power, "CLEAN WATER", etc. comes in)
3. US - The power of the blue passport.  Can't compare to anything else
4. US - Respect for human dignity (at least for its citizens). Not perfect, but its in the country's DNA.
5. US - Tough and requires hardwork to survive.
6. US - Slow and steady, very little or no loopholes for quick money
7. Nigeria - By and large, those doing well are really doing well due to the emerging market.
8. Nigeria - Cash heavy society due to numerous loopholes in both private and public sectors for fraud
9. Nigeria - Culture and tradition heavy, though that is also part of the reason why there is lack of accountability
10. Nigeria - Negative perception of nationals all over the world. 419 seems to be in the DNA.
11. Nigeria - Very unstable and unpredictable.
12. Nigeria - Definitely more family oriented

Disclaimer:  

I have lived in the US for almost 20 years now and I do visit Nigeria regularly - I was just there a few months ago.
I don't know what the future holds, but if I have a choice, there is just no way I can live in Nigeria again. Yes, I have
been to friend's houses that are worth N60 million or more in Lekki, etc. Truth be told, those houses are in no way
better than a $100,000 house in most part of the US.  Yes, we drove through Banana Island few months back and
its lovely, but I have seen better houses and landscaping over here in neighborhood where the most expensive
house don't even cost more than a $1million.

That said, Nigeria can be a fun place - I guess it has to be if you consider the fact that you have to go to through
major hassle to get the most basic of things done like taking a flight, going from point A to point B, etc. I can only
imagine what its like to go for a medical emergency - God forbid!

Its pointless comparing Nigeria to the US.  For all its shortcomings and it has many, the US is still the greatest country
on earth and still has a long way to go.  When millions of people are looking to migrate to a particular place on earth,
there has to be something special about that place. For every Nigerian that is struggling in America, there are 2 or more
that are doing very well. Of course the US is not a bed of roses, but neither is Nigeria for many Nigerians.    

Whats the point of this diary again?
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by kabukabu(m): 7:00pm On Jul 23, 2011
Theblessed:

[b][size=16pt]Hey, Mr Norrisman there's no need to be insultive and we all know how to do so, but restrain ourselves from it. You too, can exercise some restraint here.

The writer had not insulted anybody here. To you and others in your shoe, all he did wrong was to ask your opinions and you should not have given it if you felt, his asking was too irritating, than embarking on your trailer load of abuses.

The writer has a point - some I agree with him and some I don't but that does not mean that he is what your claim he is.

You see, I am not here to address that rather, an issue I'm passionate about - SLAVERY AND OPPRESSIVE PRACTICES.

And I ask, you who claim to have the spark of Solomon's wisdom, the writer hadn't - why is it you'd been unable to see the evil your own parents are perpetrating on the poor who are serving them? Is it because, they have the power - the money therefore, they can enslave

You, yourself knows that they are enslaving them, don't you? You even talked about people working long hours and knows it's wrong that your parents servants are subjected to this kind of slavery yet, you support this wicked and evil act of your parents. By their fruit, we should know them, don't we

Look, I don't even blame your parents rather, you who claim to be smart but unwise.

Imagine, someone working from 06.00hrs to 23.00hrs for just under #13,000 (13,000 Naira or whatever!) and you are here, proudly telling us about your fathers ego, to be driven somewhere he could not drive himself and your mother's entrepreneurship at the expense of the needy, shame unto you!

You can drive your own father, can't you? Obviously, you can't even get out of bed at that crock of dawn - 06.00hrs to drive him where ever he directs you, and then come home at 11pm and be happy, would you? To that I say, may be this Scripture holds both you and your parents guilty unless you all repent and treat people well.

"Do unto others the way you'd like them, do unto you." Would you or parents like to be treated that way, just because, somebody has 'power' over you Your parents could easily give them the money without even asking for their service - think about that!

It's all about doing good and doing the right thing. And I don't think they are doing good or even the right thing enslaving their servants with these oppressive terms/conditions of Service that, they imposed on them.

The poor servants work and live in bondage at the mercy of your parents who are taking advantage of their weakness, needy state and poverty stricken life.

But, can't you help them? Of course you can, at least by highlighting this evil to your parents, maybe, they'd change their ways. However, you chose not to do something rather, came here and sub-consciously promoting your parents financial powers, in their oppression of the poor and needy. shocked shocked shocked

But, here's the promise the Lord made to the needy perhaps, your would now, do something.

"For he will deliver the needy who cry out, the afflicted who have no one to help them. He will take pity on the weak and needy and save the needy from death. He will rescue them from oppression and violence, for precious is their blood in his sight" Psalm Chpt.72 v.12 - 14

Obviously, you can see what your parents are doing is wrong and according to the above Scripture, they are guilty. So help get them out of this behaviour, if you love them for there is nothing fun in abusing another human being simply because, you can.

Remember this, the Lord, gave us the skill to make money and he can equally take it away, at will. undecided undecided
[/size][/b]

^^^^^^ whoever let this tool in here? angry angry angry
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by buzugee(m): 7:00pm On Jul 23, 2011
milehigh06:

put it this way
i have a computer repairs biz and now into starting a radio station with a few friends and at the same run a restaurant with another friend
could never ever ever have dreamt of this back in naija.not putting my country down but between being worried about my parents,my younger ones and myself,there was no space for other biz ideas which was basically stunting my growth back home
the ability to b able to do more than 1 thing at a time with no hindrance presents all sorts of opportunities
bros this is absolute hogwash. i suspect, just like most nigerians, you didnt apply yourself in nigeria because you were hell bent on checking out. all those things you mentioned are low capital businesses that even a cretin can get off the ground in nigeria. so ermmm this says a lot more about you than about nigeria
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by kabukabu(m): 7:11pm On Jul 23, 2011
Iyke-D:

Una don come again. . . beauty will always be in the eyes of the beholder, so here are a few things that I see. . .

1. US - Clean toilets just about everywhere you go. Only God know what they call toilets in Nigeria
2. US - High life expectancy in the US (this is where good roads, access to healthcare, power, "CLEAN WATER", etc. comes in)
3. US - The power of the blue passport. Can't compare to anything else
4. US - Respect for human dignity (at least for its citizens). Not perfect, but its in the country's DNA.
5. US - Tough and requires hardwork to survive.
6. US - Slow and steady, very little or no loopholes for quick money
7. Nigeria - By and large, those doing well are really doing well due to the emerging market.
8. Nigeria - Cash heavy society due to numerous loopholes in both private and public sectors for fraud
9. Nigeria - Culture and tradition heavy, though that is also part of the reason why there is lack of accountability
10. Nigeria - Negative perception of nationals all over the world. 419 seems to be in the DNA.
11. Nigeria - Very unstable and unpredictable.
12. Nigeria - Definitely more family oriented

Disclaimer:

I have lived in the US for almost 20 years now and I do visit Nigeria regularly - I was just there a few months ago.
I don't know what the future holds, but if I have a choice, there is just no way I can live in Nigeria again. Yes, I have
been to friend's houses that are worth N60 million or more in Lekki, etc. Truth be told, those houses are in no way
better than a $100,000 house in most part of the US. Yes, we drove through Banana Island few months back and
its lovely, but I have seen better houses and landscaping over here in neighborhood where the most expensive
house don't even cost more than a $1million.

That said, Nigeria can be a fun place - I guess it has to be if you consider the fact that you have to go to through
major hassle to get the most basic of things done like taking a flight, going from point A to point B, etc. I can only
imagine what its like to go for a medical emergency - God forbid!

Its pointless comparing Nigeria to the US. For all its shortcomings and it has many, the US is still the greatest country
on earth and still has a long way to go. When millions of people are looking to migrate to a particular place on earth,
there has to be something special about that place. For every Nigerian that is struggling in America, there are 2 or more
that are doing very well. Of course the US is not a bed of roses, but neither is Nigeria for many Nigerians.

Whats the point of this diary again?

I agree completely the only one thing about naija which is a good and bad thing,depending on how you look at it are the lack of certain laws and restrictions,you can pretty much do what you like if you have money and pull in most areas but at what cost though? that IS the big question grin.Anyone who has a medical condition would be better served living in the US,you sure cant depend on getting to the hospital within minutes in Nigeria,heck in some towns the dont even have ambulances,oh and getting lost in the woods or forest in naija , lmao, babalawo helicopter will come and rescue youHilarious grin grin grin grin
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by ektbear: 7:13pm On Jul 23, 2011
Next up from odumchi: "5 reasons why heaven is worse than nigeria" grin
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by odumchi: 7:16pm On Jul 23, 2011
How did you know, I had that one planned for Monday angry

ekt_bear:

Next up from odumchi: "5 reasons why heaven is worse than nigeria" grin

On serious note, America is not heaven. I'd rather live in my peaceful village in the SE than step foot in America.  angry
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jul 23, 2011
buzgee
let me start
i have worked as an oraka(pool table racker) at akoka,I have worked at 2 banks,i have helped my sweet mother in making soap and going to sell at oshodi,I have worked at 5 cyber cafes,worked at a buka including my mother's,worked as washman to my neighbour
and i am certain from what you have read about what i have done should tell you I am not lazy
i was working as a data analyst very close to ghana high during the day (8am to 5pm)and at the same time was working as computer admin at a cafe from 6pm to 6 am and for those jobs combined i was earning $400 a month.
and did i say i have my ond and hnd in accounting and finance,so i am not dumb(although some people might beg to disagree) but my point is with all that was going on back then not to add to the fact that my father was busy fighting daily times for 25months salary he was being owed before they retired him, and i am the "akobi" how would i find the time to think of ways to make things better
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by mail4gift2(m): 7:19pm On Jul 23, 2011
@Poster, Please, i beg you in the name of God, ABEG BROS, na beg i dey beg, i use all the angels name for heaven beg you, i use your village juju name, your mama and papa name, your ancestors name beg you, abeg abeg abeg DON'T EVER COMPARE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and Nigeria abeg bros abeg na beg i dey beg abeg, ejoh, biko, thank you
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by buzugee(m): 7:20pm On Jul 23, 2011
kabukabu:

I agree completely the only one thing about naija which is a good and bad thing,depending on how you look at it are the lack of certain laws and restrictions,you can pretty much do what you like if you have money and pull in most areas but at what cost though? that IS the big question grin.Anyone who has a medical condition would be better served living in the US,you sure cant depend on getting to the hospital within minutes in Nigeria,heck in some towns the dont even have ambulances,oh and getting lost in the woods or forest in naija , lmao, babalawo helicopter will come and rescue youHilarious grin grin grin grin
stop cherry picking faults. you try entering an american hospital without adequate insurance cover. dem go throw you outside the hospital come close door. secondly nigerians dont get lost in forests. we aint into all dat mountain hiking and whatnot that white folks do  grin the black man, the nubian man, the asiatic blackman is not adventurous by nature and as such will never get lost in no dayum mountains  grin
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jul 23, 2011
and also go try and start a restaurant biz here and see how "low capital is" and how many of your typical nif=gerian big bois have radio stations?no be baba isale and those that have looted then nation and co who have radio stations?if any cretin can start one like your honorable chief cretin(you) just said,where is your radio station.you open your typical oppressed mouth and call people names,is it the frustration of the nigerian society that is wrong with you?
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by ektbear: 7:22pm On Jul 23, 2011
odumchi:

How did you know, I had that one planned for Monday angry

On serious note, America is not heaven. I'd rather live in my peaceful village in the SE than step foot in America.  angry

Hehe. Fair enough, to each his own smiley
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by buzugee(m): 7:26pm On Jul 23, 2011
milehigh06:

buzgee
let me start
i have worked as an oraka(pool table racker) at akoka,I have worked at 2 banks,i have helped my sweet mother in making soap and going to sell at oshodi,I have worked at 5 cyber cafes,worked at a buka including my mother's,worked as washman to my neighbour
and i am certain from what you have read about what i have done should tell you I am not lazy
i was working as a data analyst very close to ghana high during the day (8am to 5pm)and at the same time was working as computer admin at a cafe from 6pm to 6 am and for those jobs combined i was earning $400 a month.
and did i say i have my ond and hnd in accounting and finance,so i am not dumb(although some people might beg to disagree) but my point is with all that was going on back then not to add to the fact that my father was busy fighting daily times for 25months salary he was being owed before they retired him, and i am the "akobi" how would i find the time to think of ways to make things better

lmao @ oraka. hey so the fault belongs to your situation not nigeria. i think we can both agree on that. you were too busy doing other things to apply yourself to what you wanted to do. dont blame naija for that
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by ektbear: 7:28pm On Jul 23, 2011
mail4gift2:

@Poster, Please, i beg you in the name of God, ABEG BROS, na beg i dey beg, i use all the angels name for heaven beg you, i use your village juju name, your mama and papa name, your ancestors name beg you, abeg abeg abeg DON'T EVER COMPARE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and Nigeria abeg bros abeg na beg i dey beg abeg, ejoh, biko, thank you

roflmao grin grin grin
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by buzugee(m): 7:29pm On Jul 23, 2011
milehigh06:

and also go try and start a restaurant biz here and see how "low capital is" and how many of your typical nif=gerian big bois have radio stations?no be baba isale and those that have looted then nation and co who have radio stations?if any cretin can start one like your honorable chief cretin(you) just said,where is your radio station.you open your typical oppressed mouth and call people names,is it the frustration of the nigerian society that is wrong with you?

bros if you applied yourself you coulda opened your own radio station with zero naira. all you need is to tap into the ultra frequency in the air and form a pirate radio station from your boys quarters  embarassed
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by maasoap(m): 7:30pm On Jul 23, 2011
I have three questions for US based Nigerians on this forum: When did you leave Nigeria for US? How times have you visited Nigeria? When are you planning to return home, after how many years in abroad? This is because you may never set your eyes on your parents again. Because, they're not planning to be around forever. After all, money is not everything. Remember the thread is not about the Nigerian economy and the US economy but about life in Nigeria and the life of Nigerian immigrants in US.
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by owo2390(m): 7:34pm On Jul 23, 2011
This thread is pointless.

You can use skype and see your parent. This is probably the most ridiculous argument ever.
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 7:35pm On Jul 23, 2011
I keep telling folks that not everyone is in the same condition they are in but these folks continue to let their ignorance shine bright

maasoap:

I have three questions for US based Nigerians on this forum: When did you leave Nigeria for US? How times have you visited Nigeria?

Does it matter at all?  What does it matter when you left Nigeria or how many times you visit?

maasoap:

When are you planning to return home, after how many years in abroad?
Does everyone have to return? Is there some set rule that everyone must return because you think so?

maasoap:

This is because you may never set your eyes on your parents again.
So, it's never occured to you that some folks actually have their parents already in the US with them? It never occured to you that many of the parents want their ward to remain outside and not in Nigeria with them?

maasoap:

Because, they're not planning to be around forever. After all, money is not everything. Remember the thread is not about the Nigerian economy and the US economy but about life in Nigeria and the life of Nigerian immigrants in US.
So in your mind, the only reason a Nigerian, or anyone would move to the US, is because of Money? 1000's of years of immigration and all Nigerians like you think it has all been about is MONEY and nothing else?
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by MandingoII(m): 7:36pm On Jul 23, 2011
I rather live in this:

than live in this:

The difference is phenominal.  Clean easy living is a LUXURY.  I'm not about to give up the GOOD LIFE for the ROUGH LIFE.   wink

recognize.
Re: 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria by Rhea(f): 7:36pm On Jul 23, 2011
@Odumchi:

Your arguments are valid in some aspect, but do not hold water in some.

1. Debt: The key difference here is that in the US, no matter what you do, you must honor your debt and pay back. In Nigeria, you can be jobless and survive by concocting one bullshit story or another, borrow 10K each from 10 friends and never pay back. You can even threaten them to submission and after a while, it falls into bad debt. Report to the police? grin

2. Stress: You are correct that in Nigeria, you are the boss and decide when to go to work. That is the same attitude and mentality displayed by the average Nigerian civil servant. In the US, no work, no pay. It is that simple. Most Nigerians that log on to Nairaland do so from the office during work hours and spend the entire working hours on Nairaland, Facebook and other social networks. So much for productivity. And they still get paid.

3. Professional Devalue: The degrees we earn in Nigeria are as valuable as we deem them. How many employers in Nigeria consider your degree as the primary criteria for employment over who you know and who you sleep with? Most brilliant student in Nigeria are products of their individual self efforts and not of the glorified universities that we have. It should not be news that our standard of education has long been relegated to the gutters. I am also a product of that system, so we are all part of the mess.

4. Prices: The only time you mentioned which is actually cheaper in Nigeria is housing.

5. Cultural Diffusion: That is the most important difference between both countries. However, your children will always learn what you teach them. They will always copy you first before they venture away from home. You need to observe some Nigerian parents and their attitude when they come back home, especially at the airports. By their fruits, you shall know them.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

Senator John James Akpanudoedeghe & Justina's Wedding Photos / Nestoil Acquires Pirat X Biggest Dredger In Africa For 2nd Niger Bridge(Video) / IGP Sets Up New Unit, Orders all Ex-SARS Operatives To Report To Force HQ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.