Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,735 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:28 PM

Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? (45551 Views)

8 Categories Of Occupation People Do That Brings Forth Insult From The Society / Pharmacology. . .is 'eat' Relevant In Nigeria? / Graduating With A Second Class Lower (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

I salute all those who graduated at the top of their class. Good for them. But life is not winner takes all, no matter what anybody thinks. For those who did not, it is definitely not the end of the road.

end of story.

davidylan:

No one is carrying degrees on their head. Just bored of the lazy "GPA's dont matter" attitude particularly by those who couldnt work hard enough.

get used to the fact that some people who were too lazy or dumb or stupid to get 2'1s or 1sts have made it to the top of their game. yeah, it doesn't fit with your worldview or principles. deal with it.

what the heck - one of my classmates, a fellow who was seriously unserious, took a third and two extras is now a big civil contractor in ilorin. his house is along the road to unilorin. supreme irony for the lecturers who justifiably flunked him, to have him in their face. on the flip side, a fellow who interned under me, bright as a button, 2'1 is still yet to get a job, more than two years after nysc.

the funny thing is, if he had taken a 2'2 , he might have settled for a lesser job and gained experience which would have aided in pursuit of a better paying job.

life - NO GUARANTEES
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Sep 09, 2011
oyb:

get used to the fact that some people who were too lazy or dumb or silly to get 2'1s or 1sts have made it to the top of their game. yeah, it doesn't fit with your worldview or principles. deal with it.

There's nothing to "get used to" . . . i didnt start the thread to whine about them. Only responding to those who feel they should console themselves by rubbishing the achievements of others.

oyb:

what the heck - one of my classmates, a fellow who was seriously unserious, took a third and two extras is now a big civil contractor in ilorin. his house is along the road to unilorin. supreme irony for the lecturers who justifiably flunked him, to have him in their face. on the flip side, a fellow who interned under me, bright as a button, 2'1 is still yet to get a job, more than two years after nysc.

country = nigeria

nuff said.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 11:11pm On Sep 09, 2011
2.2, 2.1, 3rd class.
it means f@ck all in nigeria. . . . . . . .

the people making it big in nigeria were the dullest people in their classes.
they are not book-smart but they are street-smart!
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Sep 09, 2011
coogar:

2.2, 2.1, 3rd class.
it means f@ck all in nigeria. . . . . . . .

the people making it big in nigeria were the dullest people in their classes.
they are not book-smart but they are street-smart!

you mean including the corrupt? I quite agree with you.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 11:14pm On Sep 09, 2011
davidylan:

when you consider them in broader context, you're basically looking at 1 out of maybe 50000 members of their graduating class for the entire USA maybe?

Wrong. Lack of opportunity is the answer.
I know many folks here too who spend too long searching for jobs because their GPAs were poor. It is just as important here as much as it is in naija.
Would a Bill Gates born in Nigeria be who he is today? No and it wont be because of stereotyping.

How many 1st class or 2-1 graduates do you see putting up threads to denigrate the others? Rather we see a plethora of threads from 2-2's crowing about how one or two of them are smarter than 1st class graduates and how GPAs should be thrown out.

No matter your GPA, what sets you aside is the constant drive to excel. I just happen to think that drive is more embodied in those who started the climb much earlier than those who thought a 2-2 was just ok as long as daddy was there to help me up a little.

Lack of opportunity is created by what?

And regarding the crowing, opening a thread, etc . . . well, some of them may just be right. I once wrote a test that i wasn't supposed to write, being for first and second class upper grads only. At the end of the selection process, I was the only person that was employed. In fact, the company didn't know i had a 2:2 until the day I resumed. And it gets even more bizarre - that company threw out their first class and 2:1 only recruitment policy solely because of me. It's not fiction, this happened.

How was I able to write the test? A simple error of selection. I omitted my class of degree from my resume.

1 Like

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 11:15pm On Sep 09, 2011
davidylan:

There's nothing to "get used to" . . . i didnt start the thread to whine about them. Only responding to those who feel they should console themselves by rubbishing the achievements of others.

country = nigeria

nuff said.

yeah, i'm sure in the us all phds and mscs are doing fantastically well and able to look down their noses at those unserious nitwits who partied through college.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

And regarding the crowing, opening a thread, etc . . . well, some of them may just be right. I once wrote a test that i wasn't supposed to write, being for first and second class grads only. At the end of the selection process, I was the only person that was employed. In fact, the company didn't know i had a 2:2 until the day I resumed. And it gets even more bizarre - that company threw out their first class and 2:1 only recruitment policy solely because of me. It's not fiction, this happened.

How was I able to write the test? A simple error of selection. I omitted my class of degree from my resume.

heh , i was the second highest in the aptitude test for my employer.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 11:19pm On Sep 09, 2011
davidylan:

you mean including the corrupt? I quite agree with you.

not everyone is corrupt in nigeria but i agree corruption is prevalent.

nigeria isn't the place people should be killing themselves to earn these grades. . . .they mean f@ck all.
at the end of the day, you go to most banks and interview the workers there and you would be amazed most of them did not even graduate in accounting or a financial course. . . . . .most of them did geography, history, yoruba but they are highly connected to chief nzeribe and swine olusegun obasanjo!
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 11:19pm On Sep 09, 2011
oyb:

Well . . . that has already been explained. AjanleKoko and oyb are the smartest 2:2 grads on the planet. The rest are a bunch of nitwits.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 11:21pm On Sep 09, 2011
coogar:

not everyone is corrupt in nigeria but i agree corruption is prevalent.

nigeria isn't the place people should be killing themselves to earn these grades. . . .they mean f@ck all.
at the end of the day, you go to most banks and interview the workers there and you would be amazed most of them did not even graduate in accounting or a financial course. . . . . .most of them did geography, history, yoruba but they are highly connected to chief nzeribe and swine olusegun obasanjo!

What a crock.
So the 10,000 people who work in First Bank are all connected to OBJ, and all the 4,000 people who work in UBA are connected to Chief Nzeribe.

we don suffer for Naija sha sad
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 11:22pm On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

And regarding the crowing, opening a thread, etc . . . well, some of them may just be right. I once wrote a test that i wasn't supposed to write, being for first and second class upper grads only. At the end of the selection process, I was the only person that was employed. In fact, the company didn't know i had a 2:2 until the day I resumed. And it gets even more bizarre - that company threw out their first class and 2:1 only recruitment policy solely because of me. It's not fiction, this happened.

and you are one out of? You take your own experience to indicate that 2-2s are useful but then take that same ONE experience to mean ALL 1st class or 2-1 grads are useless? odd.

oyb:

I got the job barely 12 hrs after my own interview as well so what's new?

AjanleKoko:

Well . . . that has already been explained. AjanleKoko and oyb are the smartest 2:2 grads on the planet. The rest are a bunch of nitwits.

and because ajanlekoko and oyb beat a bunch of 1st class and 2-1 grads they all must be nitwits?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

What a crock.
So the 10,000 people who work in First Bank are all connected to OBJ, and all the 4,000 people who work in UBA are connected to Chief Nzeribe.

Disingenuous nonsense. I was refering to your civil contractor friend. Anyone can be a "contractor" in nigeria. Get a godfather . . .
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 11:24pm On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

What a crock.

of course.
they all know somebody who knew someone and so on and so forth!
of course, some got there by their sheer brilliance but 80% got there by connections. . . .

if you speak to most bankers in nigeria, their command of english and penmanship would turn a corpse in it's grave.
makes you wonder the kind of aptitude test they run in that country.
buncha dullards!
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 11:26pm On Sep 09, 2011
coogar:

of course.
they all know somebody who knew someone and so on and so forth!
of course, some got there by their sheer brilliance but 80% got there by connections. . . .

if you speak to most bankers in nigeria, their command of english and penmanship would turn a corpse in it's grave.
makes you wonder the kind of aptitude test they run in that country.
buncha dullards!

shhh dont let ajanlekoko hear this.

If Bill Gates were nigerian he would have no single chance without a connected godfather . . . but dont let that tiny uncomfortable fact get in the way of those who constantly use him as shield for their own college incompetence.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by chamber2(m): 11:27pm On Sep 09, 2011
So, what's the conclusion? 2-2s are better than 2.1 and 1st class right?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by woetooam4j: 11:28pm On Sep 09, 2011
davidylan:

shhh dont let ajanlekoko hear this.

If Bill Gates were nigerian he would have no single chance without a connected godfather . . . but dont let that tiny uncomfortable fact get in the way of those who constantly use him as shield for their own college incompetence.

You are making little sense. Bill Gates never had to apply for a job. He would have been fine in Nigeria, connection or not
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by woetooam4j: 11:28pm On Sep 09, 2011
chamber2:

In your mind!
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 11:29pm On Sep 09, 2011
chamber2:

3rd class is better than 1st class in nigeria.
it depends on which school and which godfather you know.
you wanna tell me all those eastern schools and niger-delta where cultism is a religion and cultists force lecturers to drugs their grades actually produce brilliant students?

woetooam4j:

You are making little sense. Bill Gates never had to apply for a job. He would have been fine in Nigeria, connection or not

yea right!
yet, even getting into the national team requires a youngster to bribe so many nfa officials before a kid's talents can be recognised.
nigeria is a f@cked up country and i am sure ajanlekoko must have bribed someone to get into the shortlist of the interviewed applicants.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 11:31pm On Sep 09, 2011
davidylan:

and you are one out of? You take your own experience to indicate that 2-2s are useful but then take that same ONE experience to mean ALL 1st class or 2-1 grads are useless? odd.

Wherever did i say that all first class and 2:1 grads are useless?

And why are you so intent on proving that I am a rarity?
In my department, I have people that graduated with every type of degree. Everybody works to earn their pay. Nobody asks anybody what class of degree they graduated with, especially in an environment where we have lots of foreigners who likely didn't go to university, much less get a first.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Sep 09, 2011
woetooam4j:

huh? Which computers would bill gates have started practicing on in the 1970s?

Where does this empty head just jump out from? any reason why we haven't created our own entrepreneur in the last 70 decades?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by chamber2(m): 11:31pm On Sep 09, 2011
coogar:

3rd class is better than 1st class in nigeria.
it depends on which school and which godfather you know.
you wanna tell me all those eastern schools and niger-delta where cultism is a religion and cultists force lecturers to drugs their grades actually produce brilliant students?

Don't go there. That will drag us to another thing.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 11:33pm On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Wherever did i say that all first class and 2:1 grads are useless?

And why are you so intent on proving that I am a rarity?

In my department, I have people that graduated with every type of degree. Everybody works to earn their pay. Nobody asks anybody what class of degree they graduated with, especially in an environment where we have lots of foreigners who likely didn't go to university, much less get a first.

Just the same way you use your one interview experience to prove that 1st class or 2-1 grads arent that intelligent anyway.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by woetooam4j: 11:34pm On Sep 09, 2011
davidylan:

Where does this empty head just jump out from? any reason why we haven't created our own entrepreneur in the last 70 decades?

You need to read up on the history of Bill Gates. You are actually more dumb than I thought.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 11:35pm On Sep 09, 2011
chamber2:

Don't go there. That will drag us to another thing.

i will.
these naija based boys get on my nerves with their inability to admit they operate in a fraudulent system.

university girls sleep with as many lecturers as possible to make first class and people worship their certificates and these same girls cannot solve a simple arithmetic problem or construct simple sentences in english.

you begin to wonder at the disconnect between the grades achieved and the personality standing before you.
abeg, nigeria is not the place where people should be doing chest-beating. . . .the crooked ones have queered the pitch for the brilliant ones.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 11:35pm On Sep 09, 2011
davidylan:

Disingenuous nonsense. I was refering to your civil contractor friend. Anyone can be a "contractor" in nigeria. Get a godfather . . .

you are highlighting your naivete. my friend did not have any godfather; and he went through fire. heck, i have another friend, who is now contracting for power and oil companies, who also finished with a third. we worked together in my first post nysc office.  the guy is slowly and surely making it to the big time.

another of my classmates is a big gal in mtn. heck, another is an oga in airtel, right from its days as vmobile.

davidylan:

and because ajanlekoko and oyb beat a bunch of 1st class and 2-1 grads they all must be nitwits?

neither aj or oyb have issues with 2'1 or 2'2 grads. davidylan on the other hand, belives that all 2'2 and 3rd class grads should be relegated to a life of squalor, so he can use them as examples to his kids - this is what happens if you dont have a first class.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 11:38pm On Sep 09, 2011
davidylan:

Umm . . . so the likes of Fola Adeola, Dangote, Adenuga, Wale Tinubu, Samuel Adedoyin, Michael Ade-Ojo, etc., are not entrepreneurs?
I think this argument is becoming pointless, like some sort of endless ping pong. To each his own. Good luck to everyone.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Sep 09, 2011
i just dey laugh at all the 'connection' noise.

connections exist everywhere in the world. its a fact of life. however, to assume that people only get employment contrcts etal on on the basis of connections is the height of naivete

or perhaps davidylan, being a nigerian, the land of connection, got his first via connections?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 11:40pm On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Umm . . . so the likes of Fola Adeola, Dangote, Adenuga, Wale Tinubu, Samuel Adedoyin, Michael Ade-Ojo, etc., are not entrepreneurs?
I think this argument is becoming pointless, like some sort of endless ping pong. To each his own. Good luck to everyone.

they all have godfathers pulling the strings for them.
they are all actively blowing the arses of some politicians to keep getting those mouth-watering contracts to oil their businesses/

ajanlekoko, you are so naive!
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by woetooam4j: 11:41pm On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Are you an engineer?

oyb:

i just dey laugh at all the 'connection' noise.

connections exist everywhere in the world. its a fact of life. however, to assume that people only get employment contrcts etal on on the basis of connections is the height of naivete

or perhaps davidylan, being a nigerian, the land of connection, got his first via connections?

Davidylan got his via affirmative action (AA). I have no doubt about it.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by woetooam4j: 11:42pm On Sep 09, 2011
coogar:

they all have godfathers pulling the strings for them.
they are all actively blowing the arses of some politicians to keep getting those mouth-watering contracts to oil their businesses/

ajanlekoko, you are so naive!

It is the same everywhere, even here in the US

Why are you acting so ignorant and petulant?

Did poverty drive you out of Nigeria? Why so much hate?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by chamber2(m): 11:44pm On Sep 09, 2011
coogar:

i will.
these naija based boys get on my nerves with their inability to admit they operate in a fraudulent system.

university girls sleep with as many lecturers as possible to make first class and people worship their certificates and these same girls cannot solve a simple arithmetic problem or construct simple sentences in english.

you begin to wonder at the disconnect between the grades achieved and the personality standing before you.
abeg, nigeria is not the place where people should be doing chest-beating. . . .the crooked ones have queered the pitch for the brilliant ones.

Stop living on hearsay. Inasmuch as i would accept that people sleep with lecturers to make a 3rd, 2-2 or maybe 2.1 on rare occasions, i will find it difficult to believe that someone would sleep with lecturers to make a 1st class degree in any Nigerian university. Making a first class requires more than just a few As in a semesters. It demands consistent effort right from the first day of uni to the last day.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 11:46pm On Sep 09, 2011
coogar:

the truth is seeing the light of the day gradually.
oyb, how many arses did you lick to get to where you are now?
how many of your female superiors did you sleep with? how many of your male superiors did you tip or get extra-nice with to keep your job?

what nonsense - of course connections exist everywhere in the world. surely you know how many strings were pulled for george bush right from his days as an undergrad? does that change the fact that people like steve jobs got to where they are today?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Funny Pics Of How Some Management Treat Their Employees / Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) / Hassana and Huseina Edili Ogaji: Meet Nigeria’s First Female Twin Pilots (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.