Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:34 AM

Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? (45552 Views)

8 Categories Of Occupation People Do That Brings Forth Insult From The Society / Pharmacology. . .is 'eat' Relevant In Nigeria? / Graduating With A Second Class Lower (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 11:50pm On Sep 09, 2011
chamber2:

Stop living on hearsay. Inasmuch as i would accept that people sleep with lecturers to make a 3rd, 2-2 or maybe 2.1 on rare occasions, i will find it difficult to believe that someone would sleep with lecturers to make a 1st class degree in any Nigerian university. Making a first class requires more than just a few As in a semesters. It demands consistent effort right from the first day of uni to the last day.

you have probably never heard of the rubbish happening in eastern schools.
any simpleton can come out with any grade - it depends on money, occultic associations or sleeping around.

oyb:

what nonsense - of course connections exist everywhere in the world. surely you know how many strings were pulled for george bush right from his days as an undergrad? does that change the fact that people like steve jobs got to where they are today?

there's no connection in the country i reside.
top grade students are identified even before they graduate by these employers holding seminars every session.
there's a graduate scheme too and they are promptly eased into the job market without stress. . . . there's a working system in place.

unlike nigeria. . . . .it's a jungle of dog eat dog.
a chaotic state.
a haven of crooks, touts and no do gooders.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by chamber2(m): 11:58pm On Sep 09, 2011
coogar:

any simpleton can come out with any grade - it depends on money, occultic associations or sleeping around.

top grade students are identified even before they graduate by these employers holding seminars every session.
there's a graduate scheme too and they are promptly eased into the job market without stress. . . . there's a working system in place.

a chaotic state.

Complete BS. How many eastern schools have you been to? You seem to have lost touch with reality. For you to have said there is ''no connection'' in the country you reside goes a long way to expose your naivete. Maybe you reside in heaven, where everything happens by words of mouth.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 12:01am On Sep 10, 2011
^ On the contrary, connection to get a job in naija is the norm but an exception here
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 12:03am On Sep 10, 2011
chamber2:

Complete BS. How many eastern schools have you been to? You seem to have lost touch with reality. For you to have said there is ''no connection'' in the country you reside goes a long way to expose your naivete. Maybe you reside in heaven, where everything happens by words of mouth.

mostly all the eastern schools are corrupt. . . . .
who's going to connect who to a big job? the number of interviews you would do will expose you if you are half-baked.
this is not only about what you came out with. . . . .it's about what you can do on the spot. . . . .
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 12:08am On Sep 10, 2011
woetooam4j:

You need to read up on the history of Bill Gates. You are actually more dumb than I thought.

I did dude. To accuse someone else of being dumb. How rich. Bill gates had a 1590 out of 1600 in the SATs and got admitted to Harvard. So much for using him as the poster child for 2-2 graduates.
He started out using elemtary school computers as far back as 1968, where would a contemporary nigerian have such a chance? Ode.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 12:11am On Sep 10, 2011
davidylan:

I did dude. To accuse someone else of being dumb. How rich. Bill gates had a 1590 out of 1600 in the SATs and got admitted to Harvard. So much for using him as the poster child for 2-2 graduates.
He started out using elemtary school computers as far back as 1968, where would a contemporary nigerian have such a chance? Ode.

especially when most computer engineering graduates never saw a router in their entire years in nigerian universities. . . .
my cousin went to oau ile-ife between 1994 and 1999 to study electronic/electrical engineering. his first experience with a computer was in 1996 at the age of 20.
he would tell you the functions of a router but he did not see one until he graduated and started working for telnet in lagos.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by chamber2(m): 12:12am On Sep 10, 2011
coogar:

mostly all the eastern schools are corrupt. . . . .
who's going to connect who to a big job? the number of interviews you would do will expose you if you are half-baked.
this is not only about what you came out with. . . . .it's about what you can do on the spot. . . . .

Seriously, were you denied admission into any eastern school?Casting aspersion on all eastern universities just because you were denied admission is not the right thing to do. I studied in an eastern Nigerian university, but i can confidently say that the picture you are trying to paint is far from reality. The last time i checked Futo and UNN are still eastern universities.

Get your facts right before going public with them.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 12:16am On Sep 10, 2011
coogar:

especially when most computer engineering graduates never saw a router in their entire years in nigerian universities. . . .
my cousin went to oau ile-ife between 1994 and 1999 to study electronic/electrical engineering. his first experience with a computer was in 1996 at the age of 20.
he would tell you the functions of a router but he did not see one until he graduated and started working for telnet in lagos.

dont mind them. they just bleat out names any how. My uncle studied Computer science at OAU in the early 1970s, he never saw a computer or used one until he started his masters deg in the US later in 1981. He used to tell us the joke of how he beat everyone in the theoretical aspect of his first job interview . . . imagine the utter shock of his eventual employers when they invited him to test his ideas on a real computer and he had no idea how to operate one.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 12:19am On Sep 10, 2011
naijababe:

^ On the contrary, connection to get a job in naija is the norm but an exception here

Well, coogar may have a point there. I don't think you need connections to get a job in the UK, which is where I think he is.
In Nigeria, you do need connections, but not in the way it's being argued here. Most times, I would not hire a maid without a recommendation from someone I know very well. The ethnic and religious sentiments are quite strong, and there are too many mistrust issues. Imagine hiring a maid that kidnaps your 10 month old baby. That happened last year to someone I know. But that is to be expected. There is no mutual trust in Nigeria.

However, in the organized private sector, there is still a lot of merit-based recruitment. Not ideal by a long shot, but at least some opportunities exist, especially where experience is crucial. In fact, experience makes the difference. That's been the whole point of my argument. I think, the more genuine opportunities are created in the economy, the less important all the hue and cry about class of degree.

coogar:

That's hardly unique to Nigeria. Most Indian employers believe that 85% of Indian graduates are unemployable. The same India where some Fortune 100 companies are hiring CEOs from. The much-vaunted hi-tech India.

davidylan:

dont mind them. they just bleat out names any how. My uncle studied Computer science at OAU in the early 1970s, he never saw a computer or used one until he started his masters deg in the US later in 1981. He used to tell us the joke of how he beat everyone in the theoretical aspect of his first job interview . . . imagine the utter shock of his eventual employers when they invited him to test his ideas on a real computer and he had no idea how to operate one.

I am sure that applies to you too, as you likely studied in Nigeria at undergraduate level. How many universities in the entire world would even have a mainframe machine in the early 70s? There was no PC in those days, remember?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 12:23am On Sep 10, 2011
AjanleKoko:

That's hardly unique to Nigeria. Most Indian employers believe that 85% of Indian graduates are unemployable. The same India where some Fortune 100 companies are hiring CEOs from. The much-vaunted hi-tech India

if 85% of indian graduates are unemployable usin the indian employers' yardstick then 99.999% of nigerian graduates should not even apply for jobs.
if you take the annoying accents of indians out of the equation, they know their stuffs. they are utterly brilliant. they are hard-working, dedicated, serious minded and they don't always take the short-cut routes readily like most nigerians.

davidylan:

utter shock!
a man that could analyse all the working mechanisms of a computer theoretically couldn't operate a computer.
that's the horror movie with nigerian graduates but they will beat their chests here claiming king-kong on most of the things they have never seen.

chamber2:

Seriously, were you denied admission into any eastern school?

denied an admission into eastern school? now, why would i wanna graduate from such schools where violence is the first course students read?

Casting aspersion on all eastern universities just because you were denied admission is not the right thing to do. I studied in an eastern Nigerian university, but i can confidently say that the picture you are trying to paint is far from reality. The last time i checked Futo and UNN are still eastern universities.

of course, i know you won't be proud to tell us the shyte that goes down in those schools.
come on. . . .be a man. . . . .you want to say you never heard of cult wars in your school? lecturers harassed/intimidated? female students sleeping around to cop high grades?

Get your facts right before going public with them.

it's an open secret!
the fact that you deny it here does not make my facts untrue.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 12:23am On Sep 10, 2011
coogar:

considering the fact that as a nigerian student he  definitely passed via occultism and settling (na so u talk am) should we be suprised?

i hear telnet only take 2'1? how the guy take do am?so how many people did he kiss arse for  before he got into telnet?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 12:23am On Sep 10, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Umm . . . so the likes of Fola Adeola, Dangote, Adenuga, Wale Tinubu, Samuel Adedoyin, Michael Ade-Ojo, etc., are not entrepreneurs?
I think this argument is becoming pointless, like some sort of endless ping pong. To each his own. Good luck to everyone.

any reason why they are all largely into "buying and selling"? Where are their unique products ala the Bill Gates, Paul Allen's that you mentioned?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by dayokanu(m): 12:25am On Sep 10, 2011
Not all Eastern Universities are bad

UNN and FUTO would still rank high

Though while serving there were 2 graduates one from NAU awka and one from UNIPORT who were just writing their WAEC with the students we are supposed to teach

Obviously they used fake results to graduate.

Regarding 2-1 2-2 3rd class etc. I would say these grades are a fair assesment of intelligence.

An average First class student is more serious, more intelligent and likely to deliver than an average 2-2 student

Note I said average, that means their might be some exceptions

E.g If you were given an assignment, A first class student would be working on it for weeks while a 2-2 student might be waiting till 2 days to submission before starting

My University experience is in OAU while most students graduated with grades they deserved/worked for
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 12:26am On Sep 10, 2011
oyb:

considering the fact that as a nigerian student he  definitely passed via occultism and settling (na so u talk am) should we be suprised?

he went to oau. . . .there was no cultism in his school.

i hear telnet only take 2'1? how the guy take do am?so how many people did he kiss arse for  before he got into telnet?  

telnet take 2'1 only from the students of other schools.
a 3rd class student from ife would get to telnet without stress if he knows his stuffs.

wale(the first ccie man in the whole of west african region - a telnet employee) passed out with a 3rd class from oau.
i have been told 3rd class in any engineering course in oau is equivalent to first class of most federal schools.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 12:29am On Sep 10, 2011
AjanleKoko:

I am sure that applies to you too, as you likely studied in Nigeria at undergraduate level. How many universities in the entire world would even have a mainframe machine in the early 70s? There was no PC in those days, remember?

this was in response to your earlier claim that Nigeria's inability to create its own Bill Gates is all down to "stereotyping". Not true.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 12:29am On Sep 10, 2011
coogar:

wale(the first ccie man in the whole of west african region - a telnet employee) passed out with a 3rd class from oau.
i have been told 3rd class in any engineering course in oau is equivalent to first class of most federal schools.

Actually Wale Adetugbo, who you refer to, went to Unilag. Not OAU.
He graduated with a 2:2, not 3rd class.

You guys sef.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 12:30am On Sep 10, 2011
Fola Adeola, Dangote, Adenuga, Wale Tinubu, Samuel Adedoyin, Michael Ade-Ojo,

davidylan:

any reason why they are all largely into "buying and selling"? Where are their unique products ala the Bill Gates, Paul Allen's that you mentioned?

what are you on about? adenuga, dangote, wale tinubu, fola adeola are into 'buying and selling' ?  
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by chamber2(m): 12:33am On Sep 10, 2011
coogar:

if 85% of indian graduates are unemployable usin the indian employers' yardstick then 99.999% of nigerian graduates should not even apply for jobs.
if you take the annoying accents of indians out of the equation, they know their stuffs. they are utterly brilliant. they are hard-working, dedicated, serious minded and they don't always take the short-cut routes readily like most nigerians.

utter shock!
a man that could analyse all the working mechanisms of a computer theoretically couldn't operate a computer.
that's the horror movie with nigerian graduates but they will beat their chests here claiming king-kong on most of the things they have never seen.

denied an admission into eastern school? now, why would i wanna graduate from such schools where violence is the first course students read?

of course, i know you won't be proud to tell us the shyte that goes down in those schools.
come on. . . .be a man. . . . .you want to say you never heard of cult wars in your school? lecturers harassed/intimidated? female students sleeping around to cop high grades?

it's an open secret!
the fact that you deny it here does not make my facts untrue.

Cultism and the likes, are not peculiar to eastern universities,  they seem to be the norm among Nigerian universities. Isolating and denigrating eastern universities it's what i find ridiculous. During my undergraduate days in Nigeria, even though those things were there, they did not by any means affect my activities as a student.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 12:34am On Sep 10, 2011
oyb:

Fola Adeola, Dangote, Adenuga, Wale Tinubu, Samuel Adedoyin, Michael Ade-Ojo,

what are you on about? adenuga, dangote, wale tinubu, fola adeola are into 'buying and selling' ?  

Fola Adeola is GT Bank, ARM, Eterna Oil and Gas, Main One, Fate Foundation, to mention a few.
Not to mention he authored the National Pension act. Probably the only sensible piece of financial legislation to ever be passed in sub saharan Africa.
Buying and selling indeed.

Dangote is into manufacturing. Samuel Adedoyin is the Daily Need Industries of old. also manufacturing.

Why do we express so much self-hate as Nigerians?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 12:35am On Sep 10, 2011
coogar:

he went to oau. . . .there was no cultism in his school.

telnet take 2'1 only from the students of other schools.
a 3rd class student from ife would get to telnet without stress if he knows his stuffs.

coogar:

a chaotic state.
coogar:

i will.
these naija based boys get on my nerves with their inability to admit they operate in a fraudulent system.

university girls sleep with as many lecturers as possible to make first class and people worship their certificates and these same girls cannot solve a simple arithmetic problem or construct simple sentences in english.

you begin to wonder at the disconnect between the grades achieved and the personality standing before you.
abeg, nigeria is not the place where people should be doing chest-beating. . . .the crooked ones have queered the pitch for the brilliant ones.

coogar:

the truth is seeing the light of the day gradually.
oyb, how many arses did you lick to get to where you are now?
how many of your female superiors did you sleep with? how many of your male superiors did you tip or get extra-nice with to keep your job?

you are a tool!
which political party did bill gates or steve jobs support actively to become what they are today?

just like poverty drove your parents out of nigeria to congo where they met their untimely death.
you obnoxious swine!

please make up your mind. you cannot come here running your mouth about naija this naija that then tell us your siblings are different
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by woetooam4j: 12:36am On Sep 10, 2011
dayokanu:

E.g If you were given an assignment, A first class student would be working on it for weeks [size=18pt]while a 2-2 student might be waiting till 2 days to submission before starting[/size]

Thats my kind of student
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 12:36am On Sep 10, 2011
oyb:

please make up your mind. you cannot come here running your mouth about naija this naija that then tell us your siblings are different

go and drink water.
one school out of hundreds of tertiary institutions still don't reflect brilliance.

AjanleKoko:

Actually Wale Adetugbo, who you refer to, went to Unilag. Not OAU.

i doubt it. . . .
wale went to ife unless you are talking about another wale!

dayokanu:

My University experience is in OAU while most students graduated with grades they deserved/worked for

any oau graduate deserves my respect.
scaling the first hurdle from the 100 level to 200 especially in their sciences is an acid test on it's own.

chamber2:

Cultism and the likes, are not peculiar to eastern universities,  they seem to be the norm among Nigerian universities. Isolating and denigrating eastern universities it's what i find ridiculous. During my undergraduate days in Nigeria, even though those things were there, they did not by any means affect my activities as a student.

i will let oau students reply this. . . . .
as far as i know, it's the only public school in the whole of nigeria without cultism problem. their lecturers are sadists too. . .they are not fazed with money, etc.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 12:37am On Sep 10, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Fola Adeola is GT Bank, ARM, Eterna Oil and Gas, Main One, Fate Foundation, to mention a few.
Not to mention he authored the National Pension act. Probably the only sensible piece of financial legislation to ever be passed in sub saharan Africa.

Dangote is into manufacturing. Samuel Adedoyin is the Daily Need Industries of old. also manufacturing.

They are all into service industries. ala buying and selling, retail. Do they actively produce anything of value besides Dangote who simply bought up his own "industries"? What are we creating unique to Nigeria? This is not about self-hate . . . if you want to compare bill gates to dangote then better come with better examples not merely something to win arguments with.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by woetooam4j: 12:38am On Sep 10, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Fola Adeola did not graduate with a 2-2, he has an HND though!

Stop mixing ewedu with gbegiri
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 12:39am On Sep 10, 2011
davidylan:

this was in response to your earlier claim that Nigeria's inability to create its own Bill Gates is all down to "stereotyping". Not true.

Meaning what? You said your uncle never saw a computer in Ife in the early 70s, a period when personal computers didn't even exist anywhere in the world.
By the way, Bill Gates was from a wealthy Seattle family, and had notched up more than 10,000 hours of programming by the time he was 17. Largely because he had access to a university mainframe. How many people over the world at that time, had that kind of access? And here we are, discussing 'connections'. You now see why I used the phrase 'narrow-minded'!
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 12:42am On Sep 10, 2011
coogar:

wale went to ife unless you are talking about another wale!

Don't embarrass yourself further. You don't know who he is, beyond maybe hearing about him from your 'siblings'.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 12:43am On Sep 10, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Don't embarrass yourself further. You don't know who he is, beyond maybe hearing about him from your 'siblings'.

of course, i never claimed he was my uncle.
i didn't school in nigeria but i was told he was the first naija guy to crack cisco's ccie. . .
whether he went to ife or cambridge does not puncture the direction of this argument. save the hollow sound bites. . . .

i'm sure you are going to tell us now you and wale were best buddies, in the same chess group in unilag.
come on, mr aja, drop the bomb.
asswax!
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by chamber2(m): 12:43am On Sep 10, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Probably.He seem to rely so much on hearsay.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 12:44am On Sep 10, 2011
davidylan:

They are all into service industries. ala buying and selling, retail. Do they actively produce anything of value besides Dangote who simply bought up his own "industries"? What are we creating unique to Nigeria? This is not about self-hate . . . if you want to compare bill gates to dangote then better come with better examples not merely something to win arguments with.

adenuga,  wale tinubu conoil and oando are 'service industries?'

gtbank does not produce anything of value?

Samuel Adedoyin is the Daily Need Industries of old. also manufacturing
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 12:44am On Sep 10, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Meaning what? You said your uncle never saw a computer in Ife in the early 70s, a period when personal computers didn't even exist anywhere in the world.
By the way, Bill Gates was from a wealthy Seattle family, and had notched up more than 10,000 hours of programming by the time he was 17. Largely because he had access to a university mainframe. How many people over the world at that time, had that kind of access? And here we are, discussion 'connections'. You now see why I used the phrase 'narrow-minded'!

he had similar access as his fellow middle school and high school colleagues. Cream always rises to the top regardless.
to use Bill Gates as an example of "connections" is too ridiculous to even bother to consider.

Lets ignore Bill for a minute, we now have wide computer access now in the year 2011 . . . are there any serious nigerian computer geniuses challenging their foreign counterparts? Or this is all about connections too?
Talk of narrow-minded . . . people just use words mindlessly.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 12:46am On Sep 10, 2011
oyb:

adenuga was a common taxi driver in new york.
he's a front for nigerian polticians. . . .fact is, you cannot make it huge in nigeria without dipping your hooves in politics.
wale tinubu must have kissed some arses as well in abuja - no big deal.

f@ck this gtbank nonsense you are spewing.
how does that represent invention?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 12:47am On Sep 10, 2011
oyb:

service industries all. Its like talking of the major technological players here in the US and mentioning AT&T and Bank of America rather than GE, Dupont e.t.c.

What do they produce that is UNIQUE to Nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Funny Pics Of How Some Management Treat Their Employees / Oil Companies/Banks Starting Salaries (Nigeria) / Hassana and Huseina Edili Ogaji: Meet Nigeria’s First Female Twin Pilots (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.