Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,406 members, 7,954,603 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:33 AM

Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State - Politics (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State (52202 Views)

The Proposed Gelegele Seaport In Edo State / POLLS: Ijaws Table Jonathan’s Re-election Before Amasiekumor Deity -(PIC) / CAN President, Oritsejafor, Admits Ownership Of Cash-stacked Jet Seized In S.Afr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ChinenyeN(m): 12:21am On Oct 01, 2011
Not so. I can definitively state that fringe groups have influenced as well as been influenced by 'non-Igbo' neighbors, but that is not the same thing as stating that "Igbo language" has been influenced.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by aribisala0(m): 12:28am On Oct 01, 2011
some writers here are trying to advance a supremacist agenda . the point is there are few if any languages spoken today that are anything like what was spoken 2000 years ago. the inhabitants of england 1000 years ago would not understand today's english. languages are always changing . there is a clear consensus among linguistic experts that igbo alongside igala and others have a common root.
thus to suggest that there is a core igbo which is pure,autochthonous and not externally influenced is quite simply wrong . this is not true for any major language
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ChinenyeN(m): 12:31am On Oct 01, 2011
I guess you're not getting what I'm saying then.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Nobody: 6:00am On Oct 01, 2011
UDEZUE said Lmaoooooo @ Killyut.
U are a fool.
Igbos words like "na", "Una",
Yoruba words like "Shebi", "Abi",

Efik-Ibibio words like "Mi" example "Oga mi", "mi house"

Also exist in pidgin so please no one ethnic developed Pidgin English u dunce. The Pidgin language is a mix of different words from different West African groups.

I have to lecture this guy, in Pidgin ABI was from the french word DEPUIS which was mis pronounced by the Camerounians to be API then it became Abi, THE YORUBA SHEBI is simply shey abi, just as yoruba would say SHEY YOU SABI AM , shey abi said in fast tone became shebi, ABI is one of those numerous french words in pidgin, pidgin is a mixture of french words like Beaucoupe ( Boku ) meaning a lot, and KAMPE ( meaning stay there ) and Kalabari Ijaw words,
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Nobody: 6:03am On Oct 01, 2011
Udezue says Lmaoooooo @ Killyut.
U are a fool.

Also exist in pidgin so please no one ethnic developed Pidgin English u dunce. The Pidgin language is a mix of different words from different West African groups.

UNA is from the french word NOUS, which is also UNU or Unous in French creole, It was stack illiterates that mispronounced Unous ( or UNU ) to be UNA, the Caribbeans still pronounce it as UNU and not UNA, na in Igbo is and, and UNA in pidgin is not and but all of you,
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Nobody: 6:06am On Oct 01, 2011
udezue said Lmaoooooo @ Killyut.
U are a fool.

Yoruba people do not speak pidgin, the yorubas in LAGOS WERE forced to speak pidgin due to Niger Delta and Igbo pidgin speakers in Lagos, Other Yoruba towns like Ibadan, Ife, Oyo, and co are dead zones when it comes to pidgin
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Nobody: 6:10am On Oct 01, 2011
Udezue said Obiagu, yes Poto Poto exists in Igbo language and means mud. Igbo language have been influencing Ijo so Killayut lol should hush.

IN KALABARI POTO POTO does not mean MUD, poto poto simply mean any material that is soft and watery or moist . It defines the form of MUD and MUD IN kalabari is LIKA, OR LEEKA, the form of LEEKA IS POTO POTO, a soft sexy succulent woman in KALABARI is said to have POTO POTO body, watery EBA food is said to have become poto poto, POTO POTO is a quality of material, Igbos borrowed it and miss use it,
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Nobody: 6:17am On Oct 01, 2011
ABAGWORO said Whoever wrote this is ignorant of the fact that those words could originate from Igbo.Killayut,I will like to know if "tey","okoso" and "poto poto" are used by the Ijaw proper(not Kalabari,Ibani and Okrika).

KURUSU the CANON were only used by the Niger delta Ijaws of Okrika/ Kalabari/ Bonny to fight and given by the Portuguese, The Igbos never even had contact with the PORTUGUESE, KURUSU is so important that till today our people have them placed at TOWN HALLS, COMPOUND HALLS and TOMBS,

okoso is made by cracking certain sea animal shell which IGBOS do not have, SO how could they have a name for something they do not have , OKOSO has been a KALABARI native indoor game , The Igbos do not have the shells to carve the OKOSO,
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Nobody: 6:22am On Oct 01, 2011
Dede1 says Can someone tell this “nama tigogo” to shot up? Ogoni were situated in the so-called Niger Delta before the migrant fishermen and porters arrived with certain Europeans.

OGONI is not even geographically in the DELTA, there is no River Niger Tributary to Ogoni land or through Ogoni land. The Ogonis have how ever been enjoying Okrika, Bonny and KALABARI hospitality by actually settling within our territory to fish.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Nobody: 6:30am On Oct 01, 2011
Another very big word every pidgin speaker use almost every day that has now become a universal word is JUJU, JUJU is also a KALABARI ( EASTERN IJAW word ) which is actually DJOODJOO, to djoodjoo in our dialect means to be in TRANCE or confused, During SEKI APU ( EKINE CULT ) which is the main KALABARI spiritism and which is also in form of CULT , dance session is always in frenzy with lots of booze, the consequent of this is people getting heavily intoxicated and hence becoming confused and in a state of trance due to the rhytm and melody of the music, PEOPLE are said to be DJOO DJOO, Enn djoo djoo teh, they have become djoodjoo ( confused ), also when you are in a state of forgetfulness people say you are djoodjoo, eg. If you could not find where you keep your car key and stay confused while you look for it, we say you are DJOODJOO, Now the state of DJOODJOO can be conjured , WHEN this state is conjured we say we are doing djoodjoo, it is this act of making people djoodjoo that is seen as magic or a kind of spiritual event that is said to be djoo djoo session, The wrd DJOODJO became juju as used by non KALABARI speakers,
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Nobody: 6:34am On Oct 01, 2011
We all know how Igbos have been copying eastern Ijaw culture, They wear our dress these days and very soon They will say we copied them,
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Abagworo(m): 8:03am On Oct 01, 2011
killayut:

We all know how Igbos have been copying eastern Ijaw culture, They wear our dress these days and very soon They will say we copied them,

Please stop being ignorant okay.We all in Southern Nigeria had no clothes until the coming of the Europeans.All these clothing culture is very new.Various Nigerian groups just adopted clothing styles in the late 19th and early 20th century.The Southern Igbos who actually produce the "Akwette" material won in the entire Niger-Delta, share the same form of clothing with Rivers people while Western Igbos share with Bini,Eastern Igbos with Ibibio and Northern Igbos with Igala.

Saying that Igbo copied your dress style is like claiming that an Ijaw that does highlife music copied Igbos.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by tpia5: 8:08am On Oct 01, 2011
We all in Southern Nigeria had no clothes until the coming of the Europeans

very incorrect.

please minimize the use of "we" in this instance.

The Southern Igbos who actually produce the "Akwette" material won in the entire Niger-Delta

the history of akwete cloth has been discussed on another thread.

every ethnicity and culture borrows from each other- no biggie.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Abagworo(m): 8:36am On Oct 01, 2011
tpia@:

very incorrect.

please minimize the use of "we" in this instance.

Correct me if I'm wrong.I will like to learn what I did not know.The traditional rulers could wear clothes more like wrapper and beads while the subjects went stack naked or wore loin.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Ibime(m): 8:58am On Oct 01, 2011
@ Chyz,

Traditions recording the history of Brass/Nembe are not scant. Whilst Okrika, Kalabari and Ibani controlled the Rio Real and Imo rivers, Akassa and Nembe controlled the lower River Niger and had most of their dealings with Aboh, Onitsha and Western Igbo. Nembe and Akassa also absorbed numerous Igbos and almost every Nembe man should have some Igbo ancestry. It was even rumoured that the King of Nembe was an Igbo man, prompting the village women to compose a song in riposte to questions about his ancestry.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ChinenyeN(m): 1:14pm On Oct 01, 2011
Ibime:

@ Chyz, ChinenyeN?

Traditions recording the history of Brass/Nembe are not scant. Whilst Okrika, Kalabari and Ibani controlled the Rio Real and Imo rivers, Akassa and Nembe controlled the lower River Niger and had most of their dealings with Aboh, Onitsha and Western Igbo. Nembe and Akassa also absorbed numerous Igbos and almost every Nembe man should have some Igbo ancestry. It was even rumoured that the King of Nembe was an Igbo man, prompting the village women to compose a song in riposte to questions about his ancestry.

I take it this was supposed to be addressed to me. Anyway, when I said scant, I was talking about our (Ngwa/Southern Igbo) traditions. Nothing on our end is said about the Brass/Nembe complex. I don't know what other Igbo around that area have to say, but as far as our end is concerned, we've got nothing to say about them. Our dealings were more extensive with Bonny, Okrika and Kalabari. We actually have specific traditions regarding these three. So, you ask why the need to separate them? That is the simple answer. As an Ngwa/Southern Igbo, I've really got nothing to say on Brass/Nembe. I don't know those people.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ChinenyeN(m): 1:21pm On Oct 01, 2011
killayut:

Another very big word   every pidgin speaker use almost  every day that has now become a universal word  is  JUJU,   JUJU  is also a KALABARI   ( EASTERN IJAW  word  )   which is actually  DJOODJOO,  to djoodjoo  in our dialect  means to be in TRANCE   or  confused,   During  SEKI APU  (  EKINE  CULT  )   which is the main KALABARI  spiritism and which is  also in form of  CULT   , dance session is always in frenzy    with lots of booze,  the consequent of this is people  getting heavily intoxicated and hence becoming confused and in a state of trance due to the  rhytm and melody  of the music,  PEOPLE are said to be DJOO DJOO,   Enn djoo djoo teh,  they have become  djoodjoo  (  confused ),  also  when you are in a state of forgetfulness  people say you are djoodjoo,  eg.  If you could not find where you keep  your  car key and stay confused  while you look for it, we say you are DJOODJOO,   Now  the state  of  DJOODJOO   can be conjured  ,  WHEN this state is conjured  we say we are doing djoodjoo,  it is this  act of  making people  djoodjoo  that is seen as  magic  or  a kind of spiritual event  that is said to be djoo djoo  session, The wrd DJOODJO  became juju   as  used  by non KALABARI speakers,

LOL. . . [b]this [/b]is the post I was waiting for. I was wondering how long it would take Killayut to open up his mouth and spit this jargon.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Relax101(m): 2:49pm On Oct 01, 2011
Ibime:

@ Chyz,

If this is true, why is there so much mistrust among these two groups?
If you are correct about the bolded, why cant these Ijaw men parading themselves everywhere acknowledge there Igbo Lineage?
Is it too difficult to accept your history and move on.

Also call your man, killayut to order. Just read all the gibberish he wrote.lol.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by aljharem3: 4:17pm On Oct 01, 2011
killayut:

IN KALABARI  POTO POTO  does  not mean  MUD,  poto poto  simply mean  any material  that is  soft and watery  or moist   . It defines  the form of MUD and MUD IN kalabari  is   LIKA,   OR  LEEKA,  the form of LEEKA  IS POTO POTO,  a soft sexy succulent woman in KALABARI  is said to have POTO POTO body,  watery  EBA  food  is said to  have become poto poto,   POTO POTO is a quality of material,  Igbos  borrowed  it and  miss  use  it,

Poto poto might mean soft or watery material in Ijaw BUT in yoruba it mean mud/ dirty mud and called porto porto not poto poto

killayut:

UNA   is from the french word   NOUS,  which is also  UNU  or  Unous  in French creole,  It was stack illiterates  that mispronounced  Unous (  or  UNU )  to be UNA,  the Caribbeans  still pronounce  it as UNU and not UNA,  na  in Igbo  is  and,  and UNA  in pidgin is not and  but  all of  you,

very very wrong

Na is an igbo word from nna and we remove the n and added the u to sound like a first person respond

In english " You are going there"

in pigin "U na dey go there"

killayut:

I have to lecture  this  guy,   in Pidgin ABI   was from the french word  DEPUIS   which was  mis pronounced  by the Camerounians  to be API   then it became  Abi,  THE YORUBA  SHEBI  is simply  shey abi,  just as  yoruba would say  SHEY  YOU SABI  AM  ,  shey abi  said in fast  tone became shebi,  ABI  is one of those numerous  french words in pidgin,  pidgin is a mixture   of french words  like  Beaucoupe  ( Boku )  meaning  a lot,  and  KAMPE  (  meaning stay  there )  and  Kalabari  Ijaw  words,

I would really advice you not to speak on things u do not know about because u do not even understand the language

Shebi is a yoruba word

se and abi were joined together to sound as shebi

in yoruba, "se e fe lo si ibe"

In english "do u want to go there"

in pigin "una dey go there"

another word is

in yoruba " abi meji le fe"

in english " or do you want two"

in pigin " or una want two"

another word is

in yoruba " shebi intori pe ori e ko pe"

in english  " because you are stu,pid"

in pigin " shebi he dey stu,pid"

also shebi can be used as an exclamation

like in yoruba " wahala lo wa o" response shebiii!!!!

also can be used as "if" or "because"

shebi ti o ma ti gbo oro

english if he had listened

killayut please stop talking about hing u know nothing about

Yourba, english,Hausa and Igbo are the main words in Pigin and moreover pigin english did not even orginate from Nigeria but from serra leano.

I think I am even wasting my time discussing with you.

I mean how can one person say "Pigin english originated from ijaw"
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by aljharem3: 4:25pm On Oct 01, 2011
killayut:

Yoruba people do not speak pidgin, the yorubas in LAGOS WERE forced to speak pidgin due to Niger Delta and Igbo pidgin speakers in Lagos, Other Yoruba towns like Ibadan, Ife, Oyo, and co are dead zones when it comes to pidgin

Please and please shut ur mouth and stop this ignorant statement

Ogunde has been acting since 1944 were they were little or no ijaw or igbos in lagos

in his first movie Aso Ebi and it was in lagos . He used pigin english to do some of the acting because of the infulenace of the the ceiro(serri leano) people in lagos.

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCLyT6k6d-Y[/flash]
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by aljharem3: 4:28pm On Oct 01, 2011
killayut:

I have to lecture this guy, in Pidgin ABI was from the french word DEPUIS which was mis pronounced by the Camerounians to be API then it became Abi, THE YORUBA SHEBI is simply shey abi, just as yoruba would say SHEY YOU SABI AM , shey abi said in fast tone became shebi, ABI is one of those numerous french words in pidgin, pidgin is a mixture of french words like Beaucoupe ( Boku ) meaning a lot, and KAMPE ( meaning stay there ) and Kalabari Ijaw words,

warri pigin is different from lagos pigin

in lagos, we rarely use boku, we use plenty

eg the thing plenty for here

we also rarely use kampe

we used " i dey, no shaking"

all those kampe, boku etc are all not used in lagos

Lagos yorubas used shey which the OYO etc yorubas use se
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ChinenyeN(m): 4:40pm On Oct 01, 2011
Relax101:

If this is true, why is there so much mistrust among these two groups?
If you are correct about the bolded, why cant these Ijaw men parading themselves everywhere acknowledge there Igbo Lineage?
Is it too difficult to accept your history and move on.

Also call your man, killayut to order. Just read all the gibberish he wrote.lol.

Now why would they do that?
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Chyz2: 4:46pm On Oct 01, 2011
killayut:

UNA   is from the french word   NOUS,  which is also  UNU  or  Unous  in French creole,  It was stack illiterates  that mispronounced  Unous (  or  UNU )  to be UNA,  the Caribbeans  still pronounce  it as UNU and not UNA,  na  in Igbo  is  and,  and UNA  in pidgin is not and  but  all of  you,

Dude, are you just ignorant,dumb, or blind? Choose one. "UNU" is "you all/you people" in Igbo. The Unu used in the carribean(Jamaica) is derived from Igbo slaves It has absolutely nothing to do with the french. SMH:

http://abitabout.com/List+of+African+words+in+Jamaican+Patois

http://www.enotes.com/topic/Nigerian_Pidgin

Dude where are you getting your info from? Lmao! Stop trying to be Madlock,ok? Your detective skills are nonexistent.  cheesy
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Chyz2: 4:53pm On Oct 01, 2011
Just for out that "poto-poto" is also on the link I posted and it is under Yoruba and it means mud/muddy. Its the same thing in Igbo. Both yoruba and Igbo are from the same language group so this strengthens the are argument more,even though its not really an argument,lol, and totally pulls the chair from under you damn ijaw claim of the word. Ijaw is not related to any southern nigeria language. Now how did that happen?   cheesy

http://abitabout.com/List+of+African+words+in+Jamaican+Patois

Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Chyz2: 4:58pm On Oct 01, 2011
Ibime:

@ Chyz,

Dude, wrong person.

Never send me anything man. I've lost all respect for you, seriously. You are Igbo the whole time but claim Ijaw and even bashing yourself(Igbo) as well. Acculturation has nothing to do with the physical. You are a very sad and embarrassing case.SMDH.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Chyz2: 5:04pm On Oct 01, 2011
Ibime:

@ Chyz,

You people didn't control any damn Imo River. Next thing you go put claim to Imo and Abia states.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Chyz2: 5:16pm On Oct 01, 2011
killayut:

We all know  how Igbos have been copying eastern Ijaw  culture,  They wear   our dress  these days and very soon  They will  say we copied   them,

Igbos copying which ijaw culture. Dont make me laugh,lol. What culture do you people even have, hahahaha!. Ijaw and culture, O giri? undecided

Maybe if you say Ikwerres are wearing and trying to act like you "people"(for lack of a better word) then i would agree. They are insecure and what to be accepted by you people and other niger deltans as much as possible. check out the embarrassment,LMAO!:

[flash=350,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLVWPAdsNjo&feature=related[/flash]

So next time when you talk taking "culture" dont include Igbo name speak specifics(Ikwerre). Also go learn about Ibibio culture then come back and tell me if you Ijaws even have anything called your "own dress".

If any Ikwerre are on this site and wondering why chyz posted your embarrassment just remember that I DO NOT LIKE YOU PEOPLE! Gbosa! cheesy
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by seanet02: 5:21pm On Oct 01, 2011
Chyz*:

Igbos copying which ijaw culture. Dont make me laugh,lol. What culture do you people even have, hahahaha!. Ijaw and culture, O giri? undecided

Maybe if you say Ikwerres are wearing and trying to act like you "people"(for lack of a better word) then i would agree. They are insecure and what to be accepted by you people and other niger deltans as much as possible. check out the embarrassment,LMAO!:

[flash=350,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLVWPAdsNjo&feature=related[/flash]

So next time when you talk taking "culture" dont include Igbo name speak specifics(Ikwerre). Also go learn about Ibibio culture then come back and tell me if you Ijaws even have anything called your "own dress".

If any Ikwerre are on this site and wondering why chyz posted your embarrassment just remember that I DO NOT LIKE YOU PEOPLE! Gbosa! cheesy

Copy copy Ibos
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Chyz2: 5:23pm On Oct 01, 2011
seanet02:

Copy copy Ibos

Scram you rascal.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by seanet02: 5:26pm On Oct 01, 2011
Chyz*:

Scram you rascal.
Ram you Bingo
grin grin grin
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by aljharem3: 5:56pm On Oct 01, 2011
Chyz*:

Scram you rascal.
grin grin grin grin grin LOL chyz u are crazy

wahili nairaland is the best
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Ibime(m): 5:59pm On Oct 01, 2011
Wetin dis mad man Chyz dey yarn?

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

Buhari Unbundles NNPC Into 7 Units / EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu Called Me To Say Col Bello Was Shooting At Lekki - Gen Ndagi / Donald Trump Supports Nigeria's Twitter Ban, Says He should Have Done The Same

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.