Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,113 members, 7,953,409 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:41 PM

Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State - Politics (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State (52177 Views)

The Proposed Gelegele Seaport In Edo State / POLLS: Ijaws Table Jonathan’s Re-election Before Amasiekumor Deity -(PIC) / CAN President, Oritsejafor, Admits Ownership Of Cash-stacked Jet Seized In S.Afr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by aribisala0(m): 10:27pm On Sep 29, 2011
actually i do not think and did not say you were ignorant.
read about the british -ijebu war . read how the british got to epe and then zoom in on this image
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=epe,+lagos,+nigeria&hl=en&rlz=1T4ADFA_enGB449GB449&prmd=imvns&biw=1366&bih=475&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=kuKETpHCCMej8QPa1sRf&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=3&ved=0CDAQ_AUoAg
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by jason123: 10:35pm On Sep 29, 2011
aribisala0:

actually i do not think and did not say you were ignorant.
read about the british -ijebu war . read how the british got to epe and then zoom in on this image
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=epe,+lagos,+nigeria&hl=en&rlz=1T4ADFA_enGB449GB449&prmd=imvns&biw=1366&bih=475&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=kuKETpHCCMej8QPa1sRf&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=3&ved=0CDAQ_AUoAg

Before we digress. You said Ogun state does not have access to Sea/Ocean, right? Take a look at the map YOU brought out (right from "ode omi"wink. Is that not Ogun's state contact with the atlantic Ocean
Frankly, I can't believe you are still arguing about this!!! shocked
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by aribisala0(m): 10:40pm On Sep 29, 2011
please do not misquote me. i chose my words very carefully i never said[b] ogun state does not have access to the sea[/b]. ogun state has plenty of access to the sea either throuh lekki lagoon,lagos lagoon,the bight of benin or several smaller creeks. what i did say is that none of the land in ogun state is in DIRECT contact with the OCEAn
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by aribisala0(m): 10:50pm On Sep 29, 2011
ode omi is not on the atlantic that whole area where ode omi is is where the proposed coastal road is supposed to pass through to the east.unfortunately because od the size of lagos state you will not have plenty detail on a map this size. the map would have you believe that is solid land it is NOT and the only way you can the only way you can move from ise to ode omi is by boat.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/letters/26028-govs-amosun-fashola-give-ode-omi-community-linkage-road

http://www.nigeriancompass.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3468:ogun-lagos-at-war-over-oil-rich-community&catid=328:commune&Itemid=624

through the creeks which link them DIRECTLY(NOT SHOWN ON MAP) you cannot drive across. that is the point i am making there are several creeks and small uninhabited islands there not shown on the map but ode omi is quite a distance inland. the other thing is badore is inland and NOT on the ocean as the map suggests but on the lagos lagoon.
http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/003/R9004E/R9004E04.htm
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by tpia5: 1:59am On Sep 30, 2011
Actually i dont remember ogun state having a direct coastline to the ocean. I'm not very familiar with the place but i think one of my old textbooks has the map i just posted here and i think that's more accurate than the other google ones which are showing an unbroken coastline from ogun down to the sea. That's not correct because lagos and parts of ondo are the only western states with direct access to the sea, and i think most of the ondo coast might be somewhat difficult terrain- more so than lagos.

Some parts of the western coast consist of mangrove swamps, not beaches or ports.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Relax101(m): 2:48am On Sep 30, 2011
Ogun state is so much on the Atlantic ocean. Some part is also on the Lagoon He described.
Abi you no Ogun pass me ni?
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by tpia5: 3:40am On Sep 30, 2011
@ topic

here's an informed study pertaining to the nigerian coastline

The 853km long Nigeria coastline runs through seven of the Southern States of the Federation, Lagos, Ondo, Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom and Cross Rivers bordering the Atlantic Ocean

http://www.hydro-international.com/issues/articles/id291-Coastline_Migration_in_Nigeria.html
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by tpia5: 3:45am On Sep 30, 2011
nigeria has the largest mangrove forest in africa.

much of the coastline is covered by this forest [or at least used to be], and especially around the ondo area, i should think.

it was one of the reasons why some areas are very difficult to navigate and why the lagos coast made a better port.

all this stuff is basic geography which used to be taught in either elementary or early secondary school.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by aljharem3: 2:16pm On Sep 30, 2011
aribisala0:

ode omi is not on the atlantic that whole area where ode omi is is where the proposed coastal road is supposed to pass through to the east.unfortunately because od the size of lagos state you will not have plenty detail on a map this size. the map would have you believe that is solid land it is NOT and the only way you can the only way you can move from ise to ode omi is by boat.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/letters/26028-govs-amosun-fashola-give-ode-omi-community-linkage-road

http://www.nigeriancompass.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3468:ogun-lagos-at-war-over-oil-rich-community&catid=328:commune&Itemid=624

through the creeks which link them DIRECTLY(NOT SHOWN ON MAP) you cannot drive across. that is the point i am making there are several creeks and small uninhabited islands there not shown on the map but ode omi is quite a distance inland. the other thing is badore is inland and NOT on the ocean as the map suggests but on the lagos lagoon.
http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/003/R9004E/R9004E04.htm

My brother

sorry about my ignorance, I just found out that ogun state his a lagoon

thanks

although it is not landlocked
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by aribisala0(m): 2:37pm On Sep 30, 2011
no it is not landlocked in fact that coastline is losing about 30metres a year and pretty soon the lagoon will coalesce with the ocean with much loss of territory in lagos and ogun states
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Nobody: 2:37pm On Sep 30, 2011
During Colonial era  the NIGER DELTA  was  only the Ijaw land and even  OGONI  was not among, Niger Delta  division. Sierra Leonians  were brought to the Kalabari  Ijaw  land for different purposes  including religion. During the days of  Bishop Ajayi Crowder  he worked with  Garick Braide  of Kalabari along side  Sierra Leonians, WARRI  was not in the news, Benin  was also not in the news, WARRI  area  was a different ball game  refered to as  WARRI  division and never even part of the Niger Delta, PIDGIN english  subsequently  was  formed  by the Siera Leonians and  KALABARI Ijaw  people  along with Western Camerounians, The evidence of this is the numerous KALABARI  Ijaw words in early  pidgin english like, Poto Poto ( marshy watery  land )  wor wor (  ugly  or  not looking nice )  Tey  (  past tence as  in, I wait for you so  tey )    Some Warri  Souls  one day  tried to mess  me  up   by telling me they are better  pidgin speakers and used  words  like   KURUSU  and  KOSO  and asked me if  I know those words, I looked at them and  despised  them more . They claimed  those were  Pidgin words  they use  that a Rivers  boy would not understand,  Then I told them  they just used  KALABARI  Ijaw   native words KURUSU  meaning CANON  AND  KOSO  meaning Top   game, They became   ashamed of their  arrogance . Now  that is the kind of ignorance   many people from the WESTERN PART of Nigeria are sick of,  Some of them even think PORT HARCOURT  is one village  like  Ilaro  or Ikire  or  Gbangan   .  

Time  for  you people  to know  that the IJAWS actually   started  the pace of civilization in Nigeria.

Stop being arrogant and start respecting  your  Ijaw  masters,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niger_Delta

http://images.library.wisc.edu/AfricaFocus/EFacs/Lovejoy/reference/africafocus.lovejoy.ejalagoa.pdf
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by aribisala0(m): 2:42pm On Sep 30, 2011
verbigeration!!!
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by udezue(m): 2:45pm On Sep 30, 2011
Lmaoooooo @ Killyut.
U are a fool.
Igbos words like "na", "Una",
Yoruba words like "Shebi", "Abi",

Efik-Ibibio words like "Mi" example "Oga mi", "mi house"

Also exist in pidgin so please no one ethnic developed Pidgin English u dunce. The Pidgin language is a mix of different words from different West African groups.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Abagworo(m): 3:11pm On Sep 30, 2011
killayut:

During Colonial era  the NIGER DELTA  was  only the Ijaw land and even  OGONI  was not among, Niger Delta  division. Sierra Leonians  were brought to the Kalabari  Ijaw  land for different purposes  including religion. During the days of  Bishop Ajayi Crowder  he worked with  Garick Braide  of Kalabari along side  Sierra Leonians, WARRI  was not in the news, Benin  was also not in the news, WARRI  area  was a different ball game  refered to as  WARRI  division and never even part of the Niger Delta, PIDGIN english  subsequently  was  formed  by the Siera Leonians and  KALABARI Ijaw  people  along with Western Camerounians, The evidence of this is the numerous KALABARI  Ijaw words in early  pidgin english like, Poto Poto ( marshy watery  land )  wor wor (  ugly  or  not looking nice )  Tey  (  past tence as  in, I wait for you so  tey )    Some Warri  Souls  one day  tried to mess  me  up   by telling me they are better  pidgin speakers and used  words  like   KURUSU  and  KOSO  and asked me if  I know those words, I looked at them and  despised  them more . They claimed  those were  Pidgin words  they use  that a Rivers  boy would not understand,  Then I told them  they just used  KALABARI  Ijaw   native words KURUSU  meaning CANON  AND  KOSO  meaning Top   game, They became   ashamed of their  arrogance . Now  that is the kind of ignorance   many people from the WESTERN PART of Nigeria are sick of,  Some of them even think PORT HARCOURT  is one village  like  Ilaro  or Ikire  or  Gbangan   .  

Time  for  you people  to know  that the IJAWS actually   started  the pace of civilization in Nigeria.

Stop being arrogant and start respecting  your  Ijaw  masters,

http://images.library.wisc.edu/AfricaFocus/EFacs/Lovejoy/reference/africafocus.lovejoy.ejalagoa.pdf

Whoever wrote this is ignorant of the fact that those words could originate from Igbo.Killayut,I will like to know if "tey","okoso" and "poto poto" are used by the Ijaw proper(not Kalabari,Ibani and Okrika).
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Dede1(m): 3:28pm On Sep 30, 2011
killayut:

During Colonial era the NIGER DELTA was only the Ijaw land and even OGONI was not among, Niger Delta division. Sierra Leonians were brought to the Kalabari Ijaw land for different purposes including religion. During the days of Bishop Ajayi Crowder he worked with Garick Braide of Kalabari along side Sierra Leonians, WARRI was not in the news, Benin was also not in the news, WARRI area was a different ball game refered to as WARRI division and never even part of the Niger Delta, PIDGIN english subsequently was formed by the Siera Leonians and KALABARI Ijaw people along with Western Camerounians, The evidence of this is the numerous KALABARI Ijaw words in early pidgin english like, Poto Poto ( marshy watery land ) wor wor ( ugly or not looking nice ) Tey ( past tence as in, I wait for you so tey ) Some Warri Souls one day tried to mess me up by telling me they are better pidgin speakers and used words like KURUSU and KOSO and asked me if I know those words, I looked at them and despised them more . They claimed those were Pidgin words they use that a Rivers boy would not understand, Then I told them they just used KALABARI Ijaw native words KURUSU meaning CANON AND KOSO meaning Top game, They became ashamed of their arrogance . Now that is the kind of ignorance many people from the WESTERN PART of Nigeria are sick of, Some of them even think PORT HARCOURT is one village like Ilaro or Ikire or Gbangan .

Time for you people to know that the IJAWS actually started the pace of civilization in Nigeria.

Stop being arrogant and start respecting your Ijaw masters,

Can someone tell this “nama tigogo” to shot up? Ogoni were situated in the so-called Niger Delta before the migrant fishermen and porters arrived with certain Europeans.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Chyz2: 3:39pm On Sep 30, 2011
@killeryut

I got to give it up to your latest post, THE dumbest shyt I have ever read concerning pigin-english in my life! Lmao!
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by udezue(m): 3:48pm On Sep 30, 2011
"E(it) don tey" can also have origin from Igbo sentence "O tela" or "O tego" all meaning its been a long time or too long" So Killayut should shut up. You make baseless statements without thinking. U painting good Ijo ppl very bad.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ChinenyeN(m): 3:59pm On Sep 30, 2011
grin I believe killayut swears on his life that he is as serious as serious can be.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by aljharem3: 6:19pm On Sep 30, 2011
aribisala0:

no it is not landlocked in fact that coastline is losing about 30metres a year and pretty soon the lagoon will coalesce with the ocean with much loss of territory in lagos and ogun states

hmmm maybe so

although the other side of the lagoon appears to be habitable.

although thanks and sorry for the ignorant argument.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by seanet02: 6:26pm On Sep 30, 2011
Okay o
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Ibime(m): 8:55pm On Sep 30, 2011
@ Abagworo,

There is no difference between the city-states of Kalabari, Ijaw and Okrika and the city-states of Nembe and Akassa, especially when it comes to history, cultural set-up or percentage of Igbo blood present in these states.

Why the urge to seperate Ibani, Okrika and Kalabari from Nembe and Akassa? Historically these 5 are blood brothers and jointly shaped the lower oil rivers of the 19th century.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by udezue(m): 9:44pm On Sep 30, 2011
@Killayut, Kalabari and Okirika are not 100% Ijo. Stop drinking Ogogoro.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by aribisala0(m): 9:52pm On Sep 30, 2011
is there any group that are 100% anything
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Obiagu1(m): 10:15pm On Sep 30, 2011
What's the name for poto poto in Igbo because since I was small, that's what I've called it?
My mum never spoke pidgin but that's what she calls it too.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Obiagu1(m): 10:19pm On Sep 30, 2011
Ibime:

@ Abagworo,

There is no difference between the city-states of Kalabari, Ijaw and Okrika and the city-states of Nembe and Akassa, especially when it comes to history, cultural set-up or percentage of Igbo blood present in these states.

Why the urge to seperate Ibani, Okrika and Kalabari from Nembe and Akassa? Historically these 5 are blood brothers and jointly shaped the lower oil rivers of the 19th century.

You can't compare Ubani to Nembe in terms of Igbo blood there. Ubani and Opobo have far more Igbos than Ijaw like 80 to 20%. Okrika and Kalabari may be around 50/50 whereas Nembe is Ijaw.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Abagworo(m): 10:33pm On Sep 30, 2011
Ibime:

@ Abagworo,

Brother you got me wrong.I'm not trying to divide because they are all Ijaw but you should understand that Igbo language influenced Kalabari,hence killayuts mention of Igbo words as Kalabari.Kalabari and Okrika are like Ika and Western Igbo.While they are Igbo,the Benin influence is acknowledged.Killayut is trying to dismiss the Igbo and Efik part of him.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ChinenyeN(m): 10:44pm On Sep 30, 2011
Ibime:

The answer is simple. Unlike Bonny, Kalabari and Okrika, traditions regarding Brass/Nembe area and historical ties are scant.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by udezue(m): 11:11pm On Sep 30, 2011
@Obiagu, yes Poto Poto exists in Igbo language and means mud. Igbo language have been influencing Ijo so Killayut lol should hush.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by aribisala0(m): 11:44pm On Sep 30, 2011
was igbo language influenced by ijaw or any other languages
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by aribisala0(m): 11:46pm On Sep 30, 2011
mpotompoto also exists in cameroun and means yam pottage
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ChinenyeN(m): 12:04am On Oct 01, 2011
"was igbo language influenced by ijaw or any other languages" -- aribasala0

You'll have to define "Igbo language" first.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by aribisala0(m): 12:17am On Oct 01, 2011
in other words you don't know

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. / WIKE Is In Trouble(pix) / Nnamdi Kanu Sponsors Kuje Prison 2016 Championship Football Competition (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.