Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,768 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:49 PM

Should Power Return To The North In 2015? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Power Return To The North In 2015? (13343 Views)

Kaduna Refinery To End Fuel Scarcity In The North In 2 Weeks- NNPC / Why Is There ''south South'' But No '' North North'' In Nigeria? / Dasuki Vows To Pacify North In 3 Weeks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by ektbear: 5:05am On Nov 06, 2011
Soludo is probably slightly corrupt. But for me:

slightly corrupt + intelligent + competent (Soludo) >>>>>>>>>>>. incorrigible + stvpid + incompetent.

And generally with these northern guys, you get corrupt+stvpid+incompetent. The trifecta of failure, basically.

And on that note, let us add Amaechi to the list of those I'd be reasonably happy with.

And Okonjo-Iweala, if she does reasonably well.

I would suggest that Igbos, if they are serious about 2015 pick ONE of these suitable candidates and rally fully behind them. And begin making alliances across the country to gain more support for your proposed candidate.
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by manny4life(m): 5:07am On Nov 06, 2011
Katsumoto:

I am suggesting that he was either complicit or didn't have the competence to see the problem.

That is what the facts state.

I'm glad you said "suggestion" which I won't hold you accountable to, besides, what facts? Please spill the facts? I'm a lil lost on your touch of competence and complicity. Whatever happened to the banking industry is quite unfortunate and wasn't inevitable, so how does that speak of his competence or his involvement in illegal activity?
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by Katsumoto: 5:09am On Nov 06, 2011
With the Almajiri situation, Boko Haram, and high levels of illiteracy in the North, most administrators from the North should not be raising their hands to rule Nigeria. Anyone thinking of Sanusi had better forget it. He may win hands down in Kano but remains unelectable in the South.

Having said that, there are still a few from the North better than the current president.

I think Nigerians should start focusing on individuals rather than party allegiance or region of origin.
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by manny4life(m): 5:11am On Nov 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

Soludo is probably slightly corrupt. But for me:

slightly corrupt + intelligent + competent (Soludo) >>>>>>>>>>>. incorrigible + stvpid + incompetent.

And generally with these northern guys, you get corrupt+stvpid+incompetent. The trifecta of failure, basically.

And on that note, let us add Amaechi to the list of those I'd be reasonably happy with.

And Okonjo-Iweala, if she does reasonably well.

I would suggest that Igbos, if they are serious about 2015 pick ONE of these suitable candidates and rally fully behind them. And begin making alliances across the country to gain more support for your proposed candidate.

Come on man,

Soludo is slightly corrupt? Where are we getting all this news from? There are no indications of this man's involvement in corrupt scheme of practises, but mere accusations. I mean, if this is the case, I will reason with same notion that all candidates are equally corrupt since we are making mere assumptions.
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by Katsumoto: 5:11am On Nov 06, 2011
manny4life:

I'm glad you said "suggestion" which I won't hold you accountable to, besides, what facts? Please spill the facts? I'm a lil lost on your touch of competence and complicity. Whatever happened to the banking industry is quite unfortunate and wasn't inevitable, so how does that speak of his competence or his involvement in illegal activity?

Are you suggesting that we absolve Soludo of the robbery committed by Ibru and co? The robbery occured under his watch; he should be held accountable. The issue here is fraud on a grand scale across many banks.
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by ektbear: 5:14am On Nov 06, 2011
manny4life, the main point is that I don't think that he is *massively* corrupt. Like, so bad that you cannot consider him at all. At worst he is a little. Anyway, we can discuss this on another thread if you want. . . I don't want to derail this thread on a not-very-important issue.
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by manny4life(m): 5:16am On Nov 06, 2011
Katsumoto:

Are you suggesting that we absolve Soludo of the robbery committed by Ibru and co? The robbery occured under his watch; he should be held accountable. The issue here is fraud on a grand scale across many banks.

Innocent until proven guilty, His oversight and responsibility is on the economy, he does not have any oversight authority and day to day decision making with the banks. How can you blame a fed chairman for the fall of Wachovia bank?
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by ektbear: 5:17am On Nov 06, 2011
Lol.

OK, so it looks like this will be discussed anyways. But I'd suggest Soludo's corruption (or innocence) be discussed elsewhere, not this thread.
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by manny4life(m): 5:17am On Nov 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

manny4life, the main point is that I don't think that he is *massively* corrupt. Like, so bad that you cannot consider him at all. At worst he is a little. Anyway, we can discuss this on another thread if you want. . . I don't want to derail this thread on a not-very-important issue.

Yeah, I get your point, let's not derail the thread on a not-so-important issue.
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by Onlytruth(m): 5:17am On Nov 06, 2011
I am really only saying that Soludo is the only leader I've seen at the center of Nigeria that fully understands our true potential as a nation. He proved it once he articulated the problem of the North amongst other things he did.
If Soludo did not create the vision for our banking system, there would be nothing for anyone to "fix" or "correct" as Sanusi is trying to do (to discredit him), because the whole banking system would have collapsed much earlier.
His consolidation was a clear demonstration of genius. Because a lot of politics was deployed by his successor, there is no way to know whether there was even a systemic problem or not. But let us focus of who can lead Nigeria.
I believe that man is Soludo. He is unequaled and unrivaled.

The governors have never envisaged the potentials (using national statistics) of the Nigerian nation. FACT.
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by manny4life(m): 5:18am On Nov 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

Lol.

OK, so it looks like this will be discussed anyways. But I'd suggest Soludo's corruption (or innocence) be discussed elsewhere, not this thread.

YES SIR, You have spoken, hold your man! grin grin grin
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by Katsumoto: 5:24am On Nov 06, 2011
Onlytruth:

I am really only saying that Soludo is the only leader I've seen at the center of Nigeria that fully understands our true potential as a nation. He proved it once he articulated the problem of the North amongst other things he did.
If Soludo did not create the vision for our banking system, there would be nothing for anyone to "fix" or "correct" as Sanusi is trying to do (to discredit him); because the whole banking system would have collapsed much earlier.
His consolidation was a clear demonstration of genius. Because a lot of politics was deployed by his successor, there is no way to know whether there was even a systemic problem or not. But let us focus of who can lead Nigeria.
I believe that man is Soludo. He is unequaled and unrivaled.

The governors have never envisaged the potentials (using national statistics) of the Nigerian nation. FACT.

As usual you change your tune.

Soludo wasn't good enough to be governor of Anambra state as far as you were concerned. According to you, Ngige and Obi were better choices. Now he is the best to lead Nigeria?
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by Katsumoto: 5:29am On Nov 06, 2011
manny4life:

Innocent until proven guilty, His oversight and responsibility is on the economy, he does not have any oversight authority and day to day decision making with the banks. How can you blame a fed chairman for the fall of Wachovia bank?

Wachovia went under due to exposure to subprime mortgages and not because the CEO was giving $800 million loans to his nanny. Besides, the fraud was committed by several banks and not just one under Soludo's watch.

If your security guard is sleeping while your house is being robbed and you are on holiday; what would be your conclusion? Isn't he either corrupt or incompetent?
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by Onlytruth(m): 5:30am On Nov 06, 2011
Posted by: Katsumoto

As usual you change your tune.

Soludo wasn't good enough to be governor of Anambra state as far as you were concerned. According to you, Ngige and Obi were better choices. Now he is the best to lead Nigeria?

Katsumoto please rise to your true level of intelligence. I have never (you can research this) said that Soludo would not make a great governor. I (as an Anambra man) had serious problem with PDP at state and local level. If he had good advisers, they would have advised him to run on the platform of some obscure party like Accord party or whatever. He would have given Obi a run for his money, and I would have supported him then. The party (PDP) caused a lot of damage to our state at local level. But at national level, it is a different ball game because some of the best Nigerian human resources are in PDP. That is just the whole truth.
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by manny4life(m): 5:34am On Nov 06, 2011
Katsumoto:

Wachovia went under due to exposure to subprime mortgages and not because the CEO was giving $800 million loans to his nanny. Besides, the fraud was committed by several banks and not just one under Soludo's watch.

If your security guard is sleeping while your house is being robbed and you are on holiday; what would be your conclusion? Isn't he either corrupt or incompetent?

Mr., let's not derail this thread, OTN (on that note), Wachovia went under because of mortgage loans. Loans is the key word which the CBN has no authority over whom the bank lends money to. Whether it's to nanny or to mortgage owners, all are in same boat of FRAUD! shocked shocked shocked

Open another thread and I'll be more than happy to discuss with you on there, grin grin grin
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by Katsumoto: 5:39am On Nov 06, 2011
Onlytruth:

Katsumoto please rise to your true level of intelligence. I have never (you can research this) said that Soludo would not make a great governor. I (as an Anambra man) had serious problem with PDP at state and local level. If he had good advisers, they would have advised him to run on the platform of some obscure party like Accord party or whatever. He would have given Obi a run for his money, and I would have supported him then. The party (PDP) caused a lot of damage to our state at local level. But at national level, it is a different ball game because some of the best Nigerian human resources are in PDP. That is just the whole truth.

There are many states with problems caused or perpetuated by PDP. Only human resources at the national level are all PDP because PDP and its goons are in power. But that is a flawed argument anyway because PDP has mis-ruled Nigeria since 1999. Nigeria is slowly deteriorating and you are suggesting that PDP is doing something great. The corruption, greed, and incompetence in the current set-up is the worst Nigeria has ever experienced.

Here is your posts about Soludo from 2009. What has Soludo done since September 2009 to have forced this change of tone? He hasn't held office since July 2009. So what makes him suitable now?

Onlytruth:

I would add that Soludo might be able to match Ngige. Problem is, we don't know that! All we have to do is to pray that Soludo (if he is rigged in) can borrow a leaf or two from Ngige (the Onwa of Anambra State). If the election is free and fair, Ngige wins.
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by Onlytruth(m): 5:42am On Nov 06, 2011
Anambra state under a PDP governor would not be the same as Nigeria under a PDP president.
Why is this so hard for you to understand? Imagine I was even willing to accept Ngige (an ACN candidate) at state level! My fear was that a PDP governor would bring back the days of the Uba brothers who BTW still own PDP in Anambra state. Is it clear enough now?
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by Katsumoto: 5:45am On Nov 06, 2011
Onlytruth:

Anambra state under a PDP governor would not be the same as Nigeria under a PDP president.
Why is this so hard for you to understand? Imagine I was even willing to accept Ngige (an ACN candidate) at state level! My fear was that a PDP governor would bring back the days of the Uba brothers who BTW still own PDP in Anambra state. Is clear enough now?

Was Ngige in ACN in 2009? Quit this line of reasoning. why would a PDP governor in Anambra be different from a PDP president? Are you suggesting that Anambra is the only state with corrupt people in Nigeria? Are there more corrupt power brokers in Anambra than in other states?

manny4life:

Mr., let's not derail this thread, OTN (on that note), Wachovia went under because of mortgage loans. Loans is the key word which the CBN has no authority over whom the bank lends money to. Whether it's to nanny or to mortgage owners, all are in same boat of FRAUD! shocked shocked shocked

Open another thread and I'll be more than happy to discuss with you on there,  grin grin grin

You are right. Loans (averaging $250,000) based on a housing bubble to millions of middle class people in the US is the same as millions being loaned to servants and family in Nigeria.
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by Onlytruth(m): 5:46am On Nov 06, 2011
And by "borrow a leaf from Ngige", I meant dump or ditch the Uba brothers (like Ngige) after being sworn in. I hope I'm clear about that now.
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by Onlytruth(m): 5:48am On Nov 06, 2011

Was Ngige in ACN in 2009? Quit this line of reasoning. why would a PDP governor in Anambra be different from a PDP president? Are you suggesting that Anambra is the only state with corrupt people in Nigeria? Are there more corrupt power brokers in Anambra than in other states?

Of course he was.

As for Anambra, you don't understand, my friend. The state was "kidnapped" by PDP for sometime. Let's just not discuss that here.
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by Onlytruth(m): 5:50am On Nov 06, 2011
An Anambra PDP govenor was kidnapped. Tell me, who can kidnap a PDP Nigerian president in Nigeria?
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by manny4life(m): 5:50am On Nov 06, 2011
Katsumoto:

You are right. Loans (averaging $250,000) based on a housing bubble to millions of middle class people in the US is the same as millions being loaned to servants and family in Nigeria.

Good job! Can't you see that you're catching up? grin grin grin

Like I said, let's talk about this on another thread, besides, $250,000 wasn't the average size family loans neither were the securities tied into them,
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by Katsumoto: 5:57am On Nov 06, 2011
Onlytruth:

An Anambra PDP govenor was kidnapped. Tell me, who can kidnap a PDP Nigerian president in Nigeria?

And those that gave backbone to the Uba brothers were from Anambra or PDP HQ in Abuja?
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by Onlytruth(m): 5:59am On Nov 06, 2011
Of course Abuja
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by Katsumoto: 6:06am On Nov 06, 2011
Onlytruth:

Of course Abuja

If you concede that the Ubas in Anambra were empowered by a corrupt government in Abuja, why would PDP at the centre be different from PDP in Anambra or anywhere else? Were the ubas not working for OBJ? Was Soludo not still hobnobbing with Atiku, one of the greatest thieves in the history of thieving, earlier on this year? I only mention that to highlight my point - Soludo as governor or president would have still being sorrounded by the same motley crew.
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by Onlytruth(m): 6:14am On Nov 06, 2011

If you concede that the Ubas in Anambra were empowered by a corrupt government in Abuja, why would PDP at the centre be different from PDP in Anambra or anywhere else? Were the ubas not working for OBJ? Was Soludo not still hobnobbing with Atiku, one of the greatest thieves in the history of thieving, earlier on this year? I only mention that to highlight my point - Soludo as governor or president would have still being sorrounded by the same motley crew.

Show me Prof Wole Soyinka's friends and crew men, and inside it, you would likely find Chinua Achebe and Ben Okri.
Birds of the same feather flock and fly together. Soludo is not a thug and would likely surround himself with Nigeria's finest. No doubt about that.
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by ektbear: 6:15am On Nov 06, 2011
All of this talk is fine and well.

But how do we prevent this from actually happening?

Yoruba and Igbo in my opinion need to decide who will step down for the other, if both groups truly want Nigeria to continue and don't want the North to regain power in 2015.

If either group decides to accept VP to a northerner in 2015, then all will be for naught.

And if neither group is willing to stand down for the other, then that means either that they want to see Nigeria split up (which is fine by me) or for a northerner to be president in 2015 (not fine by me.)
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by ektbear: 6:17am On Nov 06, 2011
I would also suggest that GEJ try to weaken the FG as much as possible.

You don't give powerful machinery (FG) to people who are not responsible enough to manage it (Hausa-Fulani). So the weaker the FG is, the better off we all are.
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by Onlytruth(m): 6:19am On Nov 06, 2011
@ekt_bear

I completely agree. But I'm really looking for that individual that can inspire the whole country to greatness. You and I are tired of mediocrity. In fact I'm sick of it!
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by Katsumoto: 6:22am On Nov 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

I would also suggest that GEJ try to weaken the FG as much as possible.

You don't give powerful machinery (FG) to people who are not responsible enough to manage it (Hausa-Fulani). So the weaker the FG is, the better off we all are.

Has GEJ displayed any character that suggests he has the balls to do that or is even interested in doing that?

Onlytruth:

Show me Prof Wole Soyinka's friends and crew men, and inside it, you would likely find Chinua Achebe and Ben Okri.
Birds of the same feather flock and fly together. Soludo is not a thug and would likely surround himself with Nigeria's finest. No doubt about that.

You are contradicting yourself and are now going round in circles.

Are you saying that Soludo's friends would be different as president from if he were governor even if he is in the same party (PDP)? If Soludo surrounds himself with the finest as president, why can he not do it as governor of Anambra? This is quite funny.
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by ektbear: 6:22am On Nov 06, 2011
I am also concerned that the ACN will try this nationalist game in which they field a northerner as their presidential candidate.

If they do this, then they will lose my support in national politics (though retain it for state politics).

There is no Northern politician alive who is as good or qualified as Fashola. So if the ACN chooses a northerner for president over him, I will be very angry.

We need to break this cycle of blackmail, divide and rule, and other b.s. that they've successfully used in the past.
Re: Should Power Return To The North In 2015? by Onlytruth(m): 6:28am On Nov 06, 2011

Are you saying that Soludo's friends would be different as president from if he were governor even if he is in the same party (PDP)? If Soludo surrounds himself with the finest as president, why can he not do it as governor of Anambra? This is quite funny.

lol I thought you were following my drift.
PDP dictates through Uba brothers in Anambra state. The PDP governor is under them. Anything that is against their interest in Anambra state, is against PDP interest and vice versa. All these are thanks to OBJ's romance with Andy Uba.
A Nigerian president is the top dog. Gerrit now?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Presidency Disowns Asari Dokubo's 2015 Comments / Court Jails Chibok Girls’ Abductor 15 Years / Pensioners Block Major Road In Calabar, Protest Non-Payment Of Entitlements

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.