Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,459 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (810994 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Skywalker5(m): 7:28pm On Jun 27, 2012
esere826:

True talk. No do like me oooo. Penny wise pound foolish

Can you explain? Just curious as to know why you believe your school was not good enough?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by esere826: 7:08am On Jun 28, 2012
Sky-walker:

Can you explain? Just curious as to know why you believe your school was not good enough?

My unnamed Uni was very good. Infact excellent in knowledge transfer.. but that was not the perception of recruiters u see.

And come to think of it, why do people go on to further studies in Unis? afterall, some of us can actually self study to gain any knowledge we like.. just buy books and access to Athens and HBR. Much cheaper than the unis

''''we probably go to unis to be with other humans, network and for excellent job prospect (better than the previous ones).

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Skywalker5(m): 10:52am On Jun 28, 2012
esere826:

My unnamed Uni was very good. Infact excellent in knowledge transfer.. but that was not the perception of recruiters u see.

''''we probably go to unis to be with other humans, network and for excellent job prospect (better than the previous ones).

I studied at the university of Portsmouth which is currently number 78. 60% of guys and girls i know have all gotten jobs in our respective fields. Thats from a school which is currently number 78. You read about the girl from Birmingham University ranked number 22 that was not able to get a job.She blames the government for not getting a job. School like Cambridge , London school of economics , oxford and imperial college are on a different league.Yes, we know but that does not guarantee you a job.I know lots of people always complain "i wish i went to a better school,maybe i would have gotten a job" .The main reason some people don't get jobs is their CV. not schools. I don't think most organization care about what school you went to. It's what you can do on the job and you have to prove that during interviews.

esere826:

And come to think of it, why do people go on to further studies in Unis? afterall, some of us can actually self study to gain any knowledge we like.. just buy books and access to Athens and HBR. Much cheaper than the unis

That Life. Besides in UK, some Companies don't care about degrees. I remember going for interview and i was sitting down with high school students who never went to universities but did apprenticeship or gathered work experience. I went there thinking with my masters,i will beat this guys. Guess what? One of the high school boys got the job. It made me think back again to see where i went wrong.Degree are just papers if you do not know what you are preparing yourself to face in the real world. Thats what i learn. went back and i started doing self study and learning about my field in the real world. That was when i got a job. Seriously i would tell you. Its not about degree or where you got your degree, its about how you can persuade recruiters and employers that you are good for the job.Once you get a job in your field. with your degree and experience, you can always move to top organizations.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by queensmith: 8:43am On Jun 29, 2012
Sky-walker:

I studies at the university of Portsmouth which is currently number 78. 60% of guys and girls i know have all gotten jobs in our respective fields. Thats from a school which is currently number 78. You read about the girl from Birmingham University ranked number 22 that was not able to get a job.She blames the government for not getting a job. School like Cambridge , London school of economics , oxford and imperial college are on a different league.Yes, we know but that does not guarantee you a job.I know lots of people always complain "i wish i went to a better school,maybe i would have gotten a job" .The main reason some people don't get jobs is their CV. not schools. I don't think most organization care about what school you went to. It's what you can do on the job and you have to prove that during interviews.

That Life. Besides in UK, some Companies don't care about degrees. I remember going for interview and i was sitting down with high school students who never went to universities but did apprenticeship or gathered work experience. I went there thinking with my masters,i will beat this guys. Guess what? One of the high school boys got the job. It made me think back again to see where i went wrong.Degree are just papers if you do not know what you are preparing yourself to face in the real world. Thats what i learn. went back and i started doing self study and learning about my field in the real world. That was when i got a job. Seriously i would tell you. Its not about degree or where you got your degree, its about how you can persuade recruiters and employers that you are good for the job.Once you get a job in your field. with your degree and experience, you can always move to top organizations.

I understand this is a sensitive issue. Bottom line is faced with the opportunities and armed with potential, people should try their very best to get into the most prestigious institutions. If not for anything just to rub shoulders with the big boys.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:50am On Jun 29, 2012
queensmith:

I understand this is a sensitive issue. Bottom line is faced with the opportunities and armed with potential, people should try their very best to get into the most prestigious institutions. If not for anything just to rub shoulders with the big boys.

That is a bit vain to me, its a class/snobbish attitude thing.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by queensmith: 9:17am On Jun 29, 2012
justwise:

I know, but for educational purposes I don't see anything wrong with it?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:35am On Jun 29, 2012
queensmith:

I know, but for educational purposes I don't see anything wrong with it?

There is a huge difference between being educated and having a shiny qualification from a posh school.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by queensmith: 11:07am On Jun 29, 2012
justwise:

There is a huge difference between being educated ad having a shiny qualification from a posh school.

. . . . . it's sensitive, I understand that. But does having one not put you at a certain advantage?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jaybee3(m): 11:12am On Jun 29, 2012
justwise:

There is a huge difference between being educated ad having a shiny qualification from a posh school.
It's not unusual to get screened out when applying for employment at the first hurdle just because one didn't graduate from a redbrick university. It's all about giving yourself a chance

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:48am On Jun 29, 2012
jay bee:
It's not unusual to get screened out when applying for employment at the first hurdle just because one didn't graduate from a redbrick university. It's all about giving yourself a chance

queensmith:

. . . . . it's sensitive, I understand that. But does having one not put you at a certain advantage?

It certainly does, i can't dismiss that, the school you attended can get you to interview stage or even get you a good job because even the employer might have attended one of redbrick universities, some of these posh-boys are just shallow-minded and can't survive outside their comfort zones.They got no idea how it works in a real world.

Just look at the banks full of posh-boys, making decisions that screws everyone of us, look at Govt front bench full of posh-boys coming up with blunder after blunder.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jaybee3(m): 11:54am On Jun 29, 2012
It's an elite world at the end of the day. If we can't join them cos it's too late or for any other reasons then surely we owe it to our current/future offspring to provide them with all the necessary ammo so they can reach greater heights we've only managed to dream off.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by queensmith: 12:03pm On Jun 29, 2012
justwise:

It certainly does, i can't dismiss that, the school you attended can get you to interview stage or even get you a good job because even the employer might have attended one of redbrick universities, some of these posh-boys are just shallow-minded and can't survive outside their comfort zones.They got no idea how it works in a real world.

Just look at the banks full of posh-boys, making decisions that screws everyone of us, look at Govt front bench full of posh-boys coming up with blunder after blunder.

and this is it, this is the fact of life. We are all skewed towards a tradition and lifestyle that benefits the upper classes.And I agree with you 100% we shouldn't have to base decisions and choices on the 'big boys' and what they are doing.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:22pm On Jun 29, 2012
jay bee: It's an elite world at the end of the day. If we can't join them cos it's too late or for any other reasons then surely we owe it to our current/future offspring to provide them with all the necessary ammo so they can reach greater heights we've only managed to dream off.

queensmith:

and this is it, this is the fact of life. We are all skewed towards a tradition and lifestyle that benefits the upper classes.And I agree with you 100% we shouldn't have to base decisions and choices on the 'big boys' and what they are doing.

Its not about reaching greater height, its reaching greater heights with substance, to bee able to think outside the box, not posh-school graduate bimbo. If i have a child, i will definitely give him or her the opportunity to grow up the know the 'price of milk', not just attending the best school but to be the best in his or her chosen field.

I don't care if his school is ranked 200 but to show that his qualification is worth the paper its written on.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jaybee3(m): 12:54pm On Jun 29, 2012
justwise:

Its not about reaching greater height, its reaching greater heights with substance, to bee able to think outside the box, not posh-school graduate bimbo. If i have a child, i will definitely give him or her the opportunity to grow up the know the 'price of milk', not just attending the best school but to be the best in his or her chosen field.

I don't care if his school is ranked 200 but to show that his qualification is worth the paper its written on.
I hope you know/agree that the benefits of attending a top uni are not restricted to the certificates one gets outta it.
Stats don't lie
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:57pm On Jun 29, 2012
jay bee:
I hope you know/agree that the benefits of attending a top uni are not restricted to the certificates one gets outta it.
Stats don't lie

I never denied that, it also get you the 'connections' to be able to jump the 'queue' as well.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Stancima(m): 10:22pm On Jun 30, 2012
@ Justwise: Am impressed with ur level of enlightenment. Keep it up bro
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by horny4u(f): 11:55am On Jul 03, 2012
justwise:

Very vain indeed!

But in reality- the network/ connection you make from going to Oxford, Harvard etc is worth its weight in Gold....its not fair I know and yes it is very very vain...but na so!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by horny4u(f): 11:58am On Jul 03, 2012
justwise:

There is a huge difference between being educated and having a shiny qualification from a posh school.

So true!!!

My indian teacher's english is upside down however he is so intelligent such a good teacher and he is self taught too.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 4:26pm On Jul 03, 2012
horny4u:

So true!!!

My indian teacher's english is upside down however he is so intelligent such a good teacher and he is self taught too.
grin grin grin grin grin grin that got me in pieces.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 4:32pm On Jul 03, 2012
horny4u:

Very vain indeed!

But in reality- the network/ connection you make from going to Oxford, Harvard etc is worth its weight in Gold....its not fair I know and yes it is very very vain...but na so!

There is nothing anybody will do about it, they will still pass the plate around their school-mates and friends, make sure that their formal school ranking remains top 10, get the juicy jobs and remain completely out of touch.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by horny4u(f): 11:13pm On Jul 03, 2012
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by queensmith: 11:57pm On Jul 03, 2012
horny4u: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18679794

This is a very interesting article. . . . . *shares on facebook* . . . . you do however realise the writer went to oxford university? . . . . and probably wouldnt be a writer at the bbc if he didnt? . . . . . .and you wouldnt have that article to quote?. . . . ?

He does have a point though. . . .but dammit don't shit on my degree dammit. . . . not even to comfort those who don't have one dammit. . . . grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by horny4u(f): 9:43pm On Jul 04, 2012
queensmith:

This is a very interesting article. . . . . *shares on facebook* . . . . you do however realise the writer went to oxford university? . . . . and probably wouldnt be a writer at the bbc if he didnt? . . . . . .and you wouldnt have that article to quote?. . . . ?

He does have a point though. . . .but dammit don't shit on my degree dammit. . . . not even to comfort those who don't have one dammit. . . . grin grin grin grin

He is supporting going to a top league schools...however if you work in digital marketing like I do its about the new media...all in all....top schools...top companies are all welcome. grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by lighternote: 7:31pm On Jul 05, 2012
@ Justwise,
pls help me here o.see,I got ds mouth watering offer of a job here in Nigeria n I ve decided to forgo d masters thing.Abeg, will my uni refund me d part payment of school fees that I already made?
Again,wt my study visa,can I enter d UK wt my dependants for any other reason(my dependants wr given visas too) as m not a registered student?
I can't ignore ds offer,my dear. n as they say,a bird @hand is worth more than two in d bush.
Pls,reply in ur best sincere, brotherly note.
I appreciate.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:04pm On Jul 05, 2012
lighternote: @ Justwise,
pls help me here o.see,I got ds mouth watering offer of a job here in Nigeria n I ve decided to forgo d masters thing.Abeg, will my uni refund me d part payment of school fees that I already made?
Again,wt my study visa,can I enter d UK wt my dependants for any other reason(my dependants wr given visas too) as m not a registered student?
I can't ignore ds offer,my dear. n as they say,a bird @hand is worth more than two in d bush.
Pls,reply in ur best sincere, brotherly note.
I appreciate.

Take the job and ask for refund from the school, any good school will refund you the part payment minus the administrative fees they may charge you.

If try to enter the UK with with student visa for any other reason other than studying, then you stand a good chance of being deported if stopped at the POE.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by lighternote: 5:38am On Jul 06, 2012
@ Justwise,so u mean we can't just visit UK like @ xmas wt those visas? r they now useless? so I need to apply for another category?
Then,what reason shd I give my school for d request of my money? tell them the truth?
I appreciate.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:18am On Jul 06, 2012
lighternote: @ Justwise,so u mean we can't just visit UK like @ xmas wt those visas? r they now useless? so I need to apply for another category?
Then,what reason shd I give my school for d request of my money? tell them the truth?
I appreciate.

Student visa is just student visa, you can't turn it to visitor's visa, the moment your school cancel's the admission then that visa becomes useless. You need apply for visiting visa.

Tell the school exactly why you have changed your mind about the admission, they will persuade you though to differ it to later year as they will be unwilling to refund the part-payment but you have to insist on refund.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by lighternote: 11:27am On Jul 06, 2012
Justwise,thanks a bunch.off I go.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jul 07, 2012
justwise:

Its one of the best universities, if you can afford it then go there.
@ justwise and queensmith, I am going there come oct 1st. wink
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Cavenchy(m): 8:13pm On Jul 07, 2012
Hey Justwise and d NL family, y'all doing a noble thing by sharing experience n advising fellow countryfolks. it's been pretty enlightening reading thru the posts on this thread. That said, I'm also appending my own 2pence for what its worth. Prospective students can check dis site for ideas on what their soon to be uni's are actually like, as seen thru the eyes of students who school dere themselves and have dropped reviews on facilities, accomodation, eye candy etc.

http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/university-uk/find-university/browse.html

N.B: Bear in mind however that these are opinions of independent individuals and ideas (e.g fees) quoted here are bound to vary from the actual information of the school itself. So its best contacting the school directly when in need of official information.

Just my 2 pence contribution... wink
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by tmoney2008(m): 12:07am On Jul 08, 2012
To me U.k isn't. Good place to be for now cos it wasn't easy as many of you guys paint it over there.

Abayomi taiwo
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 10:10am On Jul 08, 2012
tmoney2008: To me U.k isn't. Good place to be for now cos it wasn't easy as many of you guys paint it over there.

Abayomi taiwo

Can you quote the person that is painting it easy as a student?

and also give student options of where you consider an easy place to study, you experience might help others

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.