Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,421 members, 7,815,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:59 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (810950 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jantil: 8:09pm On Jul 13, 2012
[quote author=temi777]We  Nigerians and our one way thinking. Yes there are jobs in UK for international students we just dont see them or rather our one way thinking dont make it possible. I only share this with my family members before but I am so annoyed I will share it with you. If you are coming here please learn a trade in Naija before coming-capentary,tailoring,barbing,plumbing,roadside mechanics -These things will make you rich even as a student in UK . A mechanic will earn at least £200 a day, plumbers sometimes £70 an hour , who do you think cuts the black people's hair in UK? but the problem is that people come with the mindset that they want to get job in Tesco alongside their studies. no come with these skills and you will be very ok or otherwise pass your driving test and become a courier or sell things in the market. just think damn out of the box . I self sponsored for 4 years in UK and im now a British citizen since long ago .
If you are ready to pay consultancy to me mehhn your landing will be smooth. Self ive divulged too much, lol, that's a joke but i like to help. UK is still dripping with money just change your mindset and learn the street a bit. selah

The aforementioned jobs are not even being monitored by the government so technically you can do 100 hours a week if you like and nobody can prove it . A friend's wife sells Marykay self and makes big bucks. stop your working in Tesco mentality and UK will be nice for you. peace
Think about this-my mechanic in Hackney told  one day  bros I bought two houses cash . Noone bothers with him because the government cannot monitor them and things are done under the table. Im a software engineer but studying in UK is far better than studying in America and Canada and you are likely to get your kpali if you know how to play  the system without anything fraudulent self. All the people shouting UK no get job should wake up if they want to come and learn from my advice. Now where is my consultancy fee NAIRALANDERS?

Pls kindly ans my enquiry....I want to knw if handwork like painting sells in UK? I will really appreciate ur response.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jantil: 8:19pm On Jul 13, 2012
Between d ff vocational skills painting & barbing uh one is more lucrative in d UK? Nid ur views
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 10:24pm On Jul 15, 2012
jantil:
Between d ff vocational skills painting & barbing uh one is more lucrative in d UK? Nid ur views

I reckon people enjoy painting their own houses themselves or with friends btw, they houses are mostly bricks hence no need painting the exterior
the interior- there is always BnQ wall papers and paints

Barbing is actually good if you are that way inclined, flexible and easy to get into- just learn how to make a proper shape up!!

whatever you do make sure you have your fees fully paid and any work/business you do is for extra income not for accommodation and school fees

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bankybrown: 6:12am On Jul 19, 2012
I've read a lot from Nigerian student in UK and Its been helpful. I will be travelling to manchester by september and from what I gather African foods are quiet expensive! I will like to know what sort of Foodstuffs I can bring to UK at least to subsidize my feeding till I get my feet on the ground......
I also want to ask must I buy coffee in a shop Any difference in homemade and take-out??
Pls reply!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bankybrown: 6:21am On Jul 19, 2012
[color=#990000][/color] I'm travelling to. Manchester in september as a student, what foodstuffs can I carry and in what quantity?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:47am On Jul 19, 2012
bankybrown: I've read a lot from Nigerian student in UK and Its been helpful. I will be travelling to manchester by september and from what I gather African foods are quiet expensive! I will like to know what sort of Foodstuffs I can bring to UK at least to subsidize my feeding till I get my feet on the ground......
I also want to ask must I buy coffee in a shop Any difference in homemade and take-out??
Pls reply!!!!!!!

You can make your coffee at home, no prob with that.

What sort of foodstuff do you want to carry?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:50am On Jul 19, 2012
I will suggest that you take as much quantity of garri, elubo, crayfish, ogbono,egusi, dried vegetable,Palm oil, indomie, dry pepper,and so on as you can carry. you don't need to carry textbooks as most of the recommended text are in the library. Have you got your visa?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by SirP1: 1:01pm On Jul 19, 2012
Let me just add that if you carry all @honey86 said, be ready to tip Nigerian Customs HEAVILY
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Skywalker5(m): 1:05pm On Jul 19, 2012
i might suggest you check what you can bring and the quantity on immigration website or so.Things like crayfish or other meat stuff are something that might cause questioning .i never took food stuffs but watching all this immigration TV stuff, i see they ask too many question when animal stuff are being brought through.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Cavenchy(m): 2:12pm On Jul 19, 2012
Hi everyone, could you pls advice on good/affordable flights to Manchester?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by SirP1: 2:33pm On Jul 19, 2012
@cavenchy what's your budget?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Cavenchy(m): 2:40pm On Jul 19, 2012
Don't really have a budget, any not too expensive airline would do, just to keep me from spending more than any other student would, I know those experienced in these routes must have found airlines offering reasonable deals .
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by SirP1: 2:43pm On Jul 19, 2012
136k on Emirates, one way for late aug(20th-30th)
2-3hr stopover.
There might be cheaper ones on Egypt air / Turkish, but comfort is crucial. Dubai airport is superb and Emirates itself is among the very best
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Cavenchy(m): 2:46pm On Jul 19, 2012
Sir P!:
136k on Emirates, one way for late aug(20th-30th)
2-3hr stopover.
There might be cheaper ones on Egypt air / Turkish, but comfort is crucial. Dubai airport is superb and Emirates itself is among the very best

Thanks mate. Very helpful indeed
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by SirP1: 2:52pm On Jul 19, 2012
@cavenchy No p, you can always book it yourself online,I'll advice option 3, just 2hrs stop over, but if you'll book do it early because soon you won't be able to get seats on their website and you"ll be forced to use agents that'll charge more.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Cavenchy(m): 3:48pm On Jul 19, 2012
^^ thanks bro
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jul 19, 2012
@bankybrown, @cavenchy, Which of the schools in Manchester are you going to?. On the matter of the foodstuffs, a friend that travelled last year bought all these things I listed and only tipped them 2k.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dharkchild: 9:58pm On Jul 30, 2012
Respect to all the bosses in the house, u guys have answered most of my questions already and it was fun reading peoples experience and advice here.

Hopefully, I would be coming to the UK in sept, University of Sheffield to be specific for my masters degree.

From personal research, this thread and other UK threads on Nairaland, ve been able to find out that staying in private property is cheaper than staying in school accommodation.

Ensuite room in school accommodation would cost me about £112.50pw but after looking through some property sites online, I was able to get a private property (ensuite room in a shared apartment but kitchen shared) with all bills inclusive about 10 mins walk or 3 mins drive from school for £75pw.

I made some findings about the property agents to confirm that it was not scam (just had to double check) and I also had a friend in Birmingham check out the apartment for me and sent me pictures which I was okay with.

The agent sent me a contract document which I am okay with but have to sign and scan to them. The challenge now is that I have to pay a deposit of £200 to secure the apartment and the rent can be paid when I arrive in Sheffield. The deposit is the only way to secure the apartment and I am willing to pay but I still kinda sceptical.

Do you think it is advisable to go ahead and sign the contact and payment of the deposit considering the fact that I was ok with the internet pictures and the pictures my friend took. I really would not like to lose the apartment Cos it is ensuite and all bills are inclusive as most other apartment ve seen are not ensuite and I kinda like a lil privacy, I also think most apartment close to school might have been taken before resumption.

PS those looking for student apartments just google "student apartment in your area" like student apartment in Birmingham or Aberdeen etc....... Take your time to go through the search result, limit your search to what you want.... like room in House share....., studio......, bills inclusive etc. when you see any property you like, you can use google maps to check the proximity of the property to your school by entering the postcode of your school and the apartment you are considering. Hope this helps someone. Cheers

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:27pm On Jul 30, 2012
Dharkchild: Respect to all the bosses in the house, u guys have answered most of my questions already and it was fun reading peoples experience and advice here.

Hopefully, I would be coming to the UK in sept, University of Sheffield to be specific for my masters degree.

From personal research, this thread and other UK threads on Nairaland, ve been able to find out that staying in private property is cheaper than staying in school accommodation.

Ensuite room in school accommodation would cost me about £112.50pw but after looking through some property sites online, I was able to get a private property (ensuite room in a shared apartment but kitchen shared) with all bills inclusive about 10 mins walk or 3 mins drive from school for £75pw.

I made some findings about the property agents to confirm that it was not scam (just had to double check) and I also had a friend in Birmingham check out the apartment for me and sent me pictures which I was okay with.

The agent sent me a contract document which I am okay with but have to sign and scan to them. The challenge now is that I have to pay a deposit of £200 to secure the apartment and the rent can be paid when I arrive in Sheffield. The deposit is the only way to secure the apartment and I am willing to pay but I still kinda sceptical.

Do you think it is advisable to go ahead and sign the contact and payment of the deposit considering the fact that I was ok with the internet pictures and the pictures my friend took. I really would not like to lose the apartment Cos it is ensuite and all bills are inclusive as most other apartment ve seen are not ensuite and I kinda like a lil privacy, I also think most apartment close to school might have been taken before resumption.

PS those looking for student apartments just google "student apartment in your area" like student apartment in Birmingham or Aberdeen etc....... Take your time to go through the search result, limit your search to what you want.... like room in House share....., studio......, bills inclusive etc. when you see any property you like, you can use google maps to check the proximity of the property to your school by entering the postcode of your school and the apartment you are considering. Hope this helps someone. Cheers

Its not a good idea to pay for something you have not seen physically especially student accommodation, you got no clue when that picture was taken, for you to sign tenancy agreement you need to see the condition of the room, the landlord will see your passport and visa and sometimes a guarantor and make photocopy of them, the tenancy agreement is the only thing that protects your deposit.

Don't risk it, just my opinion.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dharkchild: 10:35pm On Jul 30, 2012
justwise:

Its not a good idea to pay for something you have not seen physically especially student accommodation, you got no clue when that picture was taken, for you to sign tenancy agreement you need to see the condition of the room, the landlord will see your passport and visa and sometimes a guarantor and make photocopy of them, the tenancy agreement is the only thing that protects your deposit.

Don't risk it, just my opinion.

@justwise thanks. Would mail them and hope they reserve the apartment while I keep looking at other options incase they don't. Was just convinced Cos a friend went there to check for me. Advice much appreciated
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by coogar: 12:39pm On Aug 01, 2012
Dharkchild:

@justwise thanks. Would mail them and hope they reserve the apartment while I keep looking at other options incase they don't. Was just convinced Cos a friend went there to check for me. Advice much appreciated

pay your deposit asap - you have nothing to worry about. you're dealing with an agent who must have an office, phone number and people you can speak to verify the authenticity of the property you intend to rent. your £200 holds that apartment until you arrive and trust me, your problems in the uk are 95% solved if you have a roof over your head.

most friends/relatives/family would not take you in - you have already confirmed your friend have been to the property to see what it looks like. if you're in doubt, take the agent's office number/email and speak to them concerning the property. don't risk losing out on a property you're well satisfied in because of a paltry sum of £200.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dharkchild: 1:14pm On Aug 01, 2012
coogar:

pay your deposit asap - you have nothing to worry about. you're dealing with an agent who must have an office, phone number and people you can speak to verify the authenticity of the property you intend to rent. your £200 holds that apartment until you arrive and trust me, your problems in the uk are 95% solved if you have a roof over your head.

most friends/relatives/family would not take you in - you have already confirmed your friend have been to the property to see what it looks like. if you're in doubt, take the agent's office number/email and speak to them concerning the property. don't risk losing out on a property you're well satisfied in because of a paltry sum of £200.

Thanks for the care, I have been speaking with the agent, got their office name and address and principal partners too. I just had another friend check the apartment for me in company of the agent this morning and his feedback was positive too.

I would go ahead and pay the deposit to secure the apartment and would sign the contract once I get to Sheffield in person.

@justwise and coogar thanks Alot.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by lanky22: 7:04am On Aug 02, 2012
Guys, you will love this article, How To Survive As A Foreign Student In The UK - http://www.nigeriabusinesspages.com/articles/item/how-to-survive-as-a-foreign-student-in-the-uk.html?category_id=58
smiley

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jantil: 2:07pm On Aug 04, 2012
I nid views on d viability of Vulganizing in d Uk. God bless.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Atlantis85(f): 1:54am On Aug 31, 2012
In reply to what kind of foodstuff can be taken when going to resume, I'd suggest the following:
Yam,
unripe platain (you can wrap it up when u get to uk till it ripes)
Crayfish, dried fish, dried pomo, blended egusi, ogbono, maggi (make sure you wrap them tightly in clingfilm, ensuring the film goes round several times)
Indomie
Beans
I didn't take garri but I know its allowed. Didn't even bother considering yam flour as its too powdery, lest I get delayed at immigration.
Palm oil was frozen but the lady at immigration asked me to drop it. U could take it tho, u might get lucky.
If you wna make amala or eba nd the likes, don't forget turning stick nd the wide spoon for scooping :d
Oh yea, I bought plÀntain chips too. Red oaks is nice cheesy.
If I think of anything else, I'll add.
When you get there peckham is good for african food stuff. Dalston too.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 4:12am On Aug 31, 2012
What if one uses ziplock bags instead of wrapping?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:14am On Aug 31, 2012
Atlantis85: In reply to what kind of foodstuff can be taken when going to resume, I'd suggest the following:
Yam,
Crayfish, dried fish, dried pomo, blended egusi, ogbono, maggi (make sure you wrap them tightly in clingfilm, ensuring the film goes round several times)
Indomie
Beans
I didn't take garri but I know its allowed. Didn't even bother considering yam flour as its too powdery, lest I get delayed at immigration.
Palm oil was frozen but the lady at immigration asked me to drop it. U could take it tho, u might get lucky.
If you wna make amala or eba nd the likes, don't forget turning stick nd the wide spoon for scooping :d

What is the name of your restaurant? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Atlantis85(f): 7:58am On Aug 31, 2012
honey86: What if one uses ziplock bags instead of wrapping?

Ziploc is good cos it also seals in smell and what-not but the bits of crayfish or even fish move arnd and won't be compact. Clingfilm successfully seals in smell and makes packing of those lose bits compact. wink

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Atlantis85(f): 8:04am On Aug 31, 2012
justwise:

What is the name of your restaurant? grin grin grin

Lol! Yakoyo grin grin tongue...

For the sake of those who can, taking ur nigerian foodstuff ensures u have something to eat, atleast for a month, while you settle down, find your way around and decide how u want your budget to be.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:05am On Aug 31, 2012
Gd list,

Onlu thing is yam in the Uk doesn't do so well when the weather less humid
Then watch the quantity of dryfish you bring same goes for stockfish. Ziploc bags and placing some coffee in the bag can mask snell.
Pack indomie cos its expensive here though poundo yam n gari are alright.
I also took crayfish and ugu(make sure its dry before you wrap it up)
Okro dey plenty
In general the availability.and cost of african foods depends on where you live.
The closer to london the cheaper it is so its not uncommon for people to commute.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:19am On Aug 31, 2012
salsera: Gd list,

Onlu thing is yam in the Uk doesn't do so well when the weather less humid
Then watch the quantity of dryfish you bring same goes for stockfish. Ziploc bags and placing some coffee in the bag can mask snell.
Pack indomie cos its expensive here though poundo yam n gari are alright.
I also took crayfish and ugu(make sure its dry before you wrap it up)
Okro dey plenty
In general the availability.and cost of african foods depends on where you live.
The closer to london the cheaper it is so its not uncommon for people to commute.

Atlantis85: In reply to what kind of foodstuff can be taken when going to resume, I'd suggest the following:
Yam,
Indomie
Beans

You two should team up and open African restaurant grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Aug 31, 2012
Justwise

It might be a good idea, I'm with a relative right now and do you know that local african restaurants sell manner of pots of soup
Edikaikon
Gbegiri ati ewedu
Vegetable
Atamase sauce

This is what they buy like they are buying microwave dinners at Iceland

Food ... Regardless of the economy always sells

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.