Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,071 members, 7,818,200 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (811449 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:20am On Mar 30, 2012
Ola one: A medium cup of coffee at Costa is about 3 pounds. Even the cheapest oulets will still set you back at least 1.50 pounds. Don't tell me you have never bought coffee in any of these shops. undecided
Once a week visit to a Nigerian restaurant will cost you at least 12 pounds. Even your local pub (And I sulk at alcohol, so I don't). Or you simply don't socialize?

Twice a week dining out in your college will at least cost you 8 pounds. You can't live on bags of crips everyday let's be sincere, guys.
How much do you spend on Elubo/Poundo/Gari/Red Oil/Maggi/Vegetables/etc? Ask those who visit Macdo/KFC/etc (I don't), a meal there will set you back 'bout 4 pounds. So, how do you do it?
C'mon bro.

3+12+8+4= £27

+

Elubo/Poundo/Gari/Red Oil/Maggi/Vegetables = let say you spend £5 every week on each, it will cost you £30.

Total = £57

Does that come anything close to £100 a week? Even if you eat Nigerian food everyday at the cost of £12 it will not cost you £100 a week to survive in the UK.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:31am On Mar 30, 2012
Ola one:
Okay, how much do you spend a week? How much do spend on fruits? How much meat/fish/yam/etc do you buy a week?
Besides, do you eat at home 24/7? Do you take your soup full of locust beans to work/college?
You don't buy coffee/tea/water in shops at all no matter how cold/thirsty you are? You don't eat out at all - no matter what?
How much do you expend at your local Sainsbury's/Asda/week? Do you drink only concentrate juice/etc?

I really need you to explain?

Let say i spent £5 on fruit a week, £10 on meat and fish a week, £5 on pounded yam, £20 on lunch a week. £15 on coffee (£3 per day) £5 on water a week, that will only cost me £60. The list is to the extremely because no responsible foreign student spends that way.

£100 a week is ridiculous amount of money to spend a week on food and drink.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olaone1: 11:37am On Mar 30, 2012
justwise:

3+12++8+4= £27

+

Elubo/Poundo/Gari/Red Oil/Maggi/Vegetables = let say you spend £5 every week on each, it will cost you £30.

Total = £57

Does that come anything close to £100 a week? Even if you eat Nigerian food everyday at the cost of £12 it will not cost you £100 a week to survive in the UK.

Thanks.
Now, we are about to get there. We are @57 pounds, okay? Your calculation was based on the assumption that you visit all these places once a week. And that you have a drink at your uni once a week. So bro, how much do you spend on fruits? And water/juice/drinks?

We will get there bro. This is a system I really understand.

Again: If looking fresh/handsome/beautiful/full of life is important to you in the UK, you need 'bout 100 hundred pounds or more/week.

I know you, Justwise, spend more than 57/week
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olaone1: 11:44am On Mar 30, 2012
justwise:

Let say i spent £5 on fruit a week, £10 on meat and fish a week, £5 on pounded yam, £20 on lunch a week. £15 on coffee (£3 per day) £5 on water a week, that will only cost me £60. The list is to the extremely because no responsible foreign student spends that way.

Foreign students spend more than that, bro.
Did you just say 5 pounds a week on fruits? Just 8 Pink Lady apples will set you back 5 pounds at Asda. And, it costs about 6.50 pounds at Sainsbury's.Did you know that?

justwise:

Even if you eat Nigerian food everyday at the cost of £12 it will not cost you £100 a week to survive in the UK.
This is not true at all. 12 pounds a day is 84 pounds/week, bro. And that's just one meal per day.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olaone1: 11:52am On Mar 30, 2012
justwise:

This is in no way to the extreme.

4 pieces of Mackerel fish cost 'bout 10 pounds. And this is enough for a week? And to the extreme? I don't think so. undecided
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:57am On Mar 30, 2012
Ola one:

Thanks.
Now, we are about to get there. We are @57 pounds, okay? Your calculation was based on the assumption that you visit all these places once a week. And that you have a drink at your uni once a week. So bro, how much do you spend on fruits? And water/juice/drinks?

We will get there bro. This is a system I really understand.

Again: If looking fresh/handsome/beautiful/full of life is important to you in the UK, you need 'bout 100 hundred pounds or more/week.

I know you, Justwise, spend more than 57/week

£57 is on high end, you will not be buying meat and fish worth £10 everyday or £5 yam everyday. 1.5KG of pounded yam is just £3.80.

Somebody that suggested £30 a week is right, that is reasonable amount to spend whether you home-cook or eat-out or even both.

If you spent £100 a week on food and drink then in a yr that will cost you £5200. How will you pay your rent and bills on (£5400 or £7200 maintenance money)?

You will not look good and fresh after spending all that money and can't pay rent and bills, depression will become your middle name

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olaone1: 12:41pm On Mar 30, 2012
justwise:

£57 is on high end, you will not be buying meat and fish worth £10 everyday or £5 yam everyday. 1.5KG of pounded yam is just £3.80.

Somebody that suggested £30 a week is right, that is reasonable amount to spend whether you home-cook or eat-out or even both.

If you spent £100 a week on food and drink then in a yr that will cost you £5200. How will you pay your rent and bills on (£5400 or £7200 maintenance money)?

You will not look good and fresh after spending all that money and can't pay rent and bills, depression will become your middle name
Your calculation is not correct. We are talking about per week. Surely , you need at least 10/pounds on fish/meat per week.
I just debunked your assertion that 100 pounds is too much even if you eat out everyday in Naija restaurants.

A Pink Lady apple a day is at least 5 pounds/week. Do you eat only one type of fruit?
10 pounds on fruits
15 pounds on coffee/tea (according to you; a bit high though)
10 pounds on fish/meat
12 pounds in Naija restaurant/pub (just a visit/week)
20 pounds/week to dine out @ your uni (according to you)
5 pounds on water/juice (according to your post)
at least 12/week on Poundo/elubo/gari/oil/vegetables/seasoning/sugar/tea/salt/etc (less that what you claimed in your post)

Let's say 6 pounds for miscellaneous.

This is 90/week. And, this is a very average student living standard in the UK.

You said something about dying of depression, are you talking about those students who work and earn decent wages (most students in the UK work).

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 1:00pm On Mar 30, 2012
Ola one:
Your calculation is not correct. We are talking about per week. Surely , you need at least 10/pounds on fish/meat per week.
I just debunked your assertion that 100 pounds is too much even if you eat out everyday in Naija restaurants.

A Pink Lady apple a day is at least 5 pounds/week. Do you eat only one type of fruit?
10 pounds on fruits
15 pounds on coffee/tea (according to you; a bit high though)
10 pounds on fish/meat
12 pounds in Naija restaurant/pub (just a visit/week)
20 pounds/week to dine out @ your uni (according to you)
5 pounds on water/juice (according to your post)
at least 12/week on Poundo/elubo/gari/oil/vegetables/seasoning/sugar/tea/salt/[/b]etc (less that what you claimed in your post)

Let's say 6 pounds for miscellaneous.

This is 90/week. And, this is a very average student living standard in the UK.

You said something about dying of depression, are you talking about those students who work and earn [b]decent wages (most students in the UK work).

Will you be buying pounded yam and Gari every week and still spend £32 on Nigerian food and dinning out? I mean. . are you born to eat or you came to the Uk for food? You saying this as if you came to the UK purely for food.

What decent wage does average foreign student earn in the UK?

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olaone1: 1:14pm On Mar 30, 2012
justwise: [/b]

Will you be buying pounded yam and Gari every week and still spend £32 on Nigerian food and dinning out? I mean. . are you born to eat or you came to the Uk for food? You saying this as if you came to the UK purely for food.

What decent wage does average foreign student earn in the UK?
So, how many times do you eat per day? Let's start from that question. A small sachet of Encona Gari is 'bout 4 pounds. You haven't told us if you live on 30/57 pounds a week.

It is only students who abide by your 20hrs/week thingy who have committed themselves to a life full of stress and depressed existence in the UK.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 1:47pm On Mar 30, 2012
Ola one:
So, how many times do you eat per day? Let's start from that question. A small sachet of Encona Gari is 'bout 4 pounds. You haven't told us if you live on 30/57 pounds a week.

It is only students who abide by your 20hrs/week thingy who have committed themselves to a life full of stress and depressed existence in the UK.

Whether you want to abide by the law or not that is another issue, when you are caught breaking the law you explain that to the authority.

I don't spend £30 every week, when i spent that much in a week on food and drinks then i will not be shopping for food next week, i eat 3times a day.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by queensmith: 2:15pm On Mar 30, 2012
what is it with Nigerians and their Nigerian food gan sef? change your diets save your wallet!!!

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by odeexpress(m): 2:40pm On Mar 30, 2012
queensmith: what is it with Nigerians and their Nigerian food gan sef? change your diets save your wallet!!!

Toh! I tire o
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by xzibiacom: 3:32am On Mar 31, 2012
heryyy: My personal experience:

I came to the uk on a 3yrs student visa (South chelsea college),when i got here went straight to college to register and pay my school fee,few months of study i noticed the college is nothing but crap (Please when applying for college in the uk i beg of you avoid this college as they are nothing but scammers,no lecture going on they just want your money,been there for almost 3yrs now with no single exam,if you don't pay school fee they threatened you with immigration)i got fed up and starts looking for a job as i'm self sponsored,looked everywhere with no luck

Eventually a friend told me the easy way to get a job in london is to go for a training job i.e you must pay money for training course and he linked me up with an agency that works for london underground to clean trains

I did the training for a total of £700 pounds (London underground entry permit and Depot Track Competent Person),as soon as i the training i got a job straight away,i started cleaning trains,i will say it's the hardest job in london

Eventually after 1 and a half year i got fedup as my health couldnt cope with the hard labour and stress anymore,i left with no single savings all gone towards bills and feeding

If d UK is hard for u, y nt come bk to nija. Abroad is nt meant for everybody.

Got another 2hrs job at the new westfield shopping centre in stratford (Zara Store)

I must say uk is very very hard for people who wants to come here with no sponsorer please think again

I've been here for almost 3yrs with nothing to show for it,it makes me sad and cries sometimes cos i never planed it this way,going back home is out of question,would have been better if my college was a good one atleast i will get a qualification and i've got no where to stay,my dad is late and mom is looking up to me at the moment i feel hopeless,i was doing fine back home before i came here to better myself, but God knows best

As for cheap cards to call home i think the best at the moment is the new sim card called iCard Mobile they charge 3pence per min to call mobile and 1p for landlines for those who are interested should google it

Overall please if you don't have a sponsorer look somewhere else than uk

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Tony9111: 3:49am On Mar 31, 2012
Hello xzibia,i must say i felt pity for u while reading ur post and i've learnt somuch frm ur expirence,my advise to u is never to gave up keep on the struggle as far as there's life ur light will shine very bright sumday,i want to know more about u.Tell me concerning all dat as happens so far to u in uk,have ur mom got to knw abt it?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olaone1: 9:47am On Mar 31, 2012
Okay, Justwise. Maybe you're right. I'm tired of this back and forth.

Take care
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by nwabobo: 4:48pm On Mar 31, 2012
@ola- one
Could you stop spreading false info here pls! From which branch of ASDA do u buy pink lady apples for £1 each? Is there a branch of ASDA in Harrods? Where do you buy 5 mackerels for £10?

A pack of 4 Pink lady apples go for 2 quid in ASDA
3 mackerels go for £2.50 in any of d African food shops (I buy from Peckham or Brixton)
5kg easy cook rice go for £4.99

@justwise, Ur estimate of £57 is even on d high side for a student except that includes a weekly bus pass.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olaone1: 5:15pm On Mar 31, 2012
nwabobo: @ola- one
Could you stop spreading false info here pls! From which branch of ASDA do u buy pink lady apples for £1 each? Is there a branch of ASDA in Harrods? Where do you buy 5 mackerels for £10?

A pack of 4 Pink lady apples go for 2 quid in ASDA
3 mackerels go for £2.50 in any of d African food shops (I buy from Peckham or Brixton)
5kg easy cook rice go for £4.99

@justwise, Ur estimate of £57 is even on d high side for a student except that includes a weekly bus pass.
. . .tell me where I stated that apples cost 1 pound each. 8 pink lady apples=5 pounds.

3 mackerels for 2.50? And you want me to buy travel ticket of about 8 pounds to go to Peckham? Do we all live in Peckham? undecided
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by nwabobo: 7:13pm On Mar 31, 2012
Ola one:
tell me where I stated that apples cost 1 pound each. 8 pink lady apples=5 pounds.

3 mackerels for 2.50? And you want me to buy travel ticket of about 8 pounds to go to Peckham? Do we all live in Peckham? undecided

Ola one:

You don't have to live in Peckham to get it at that price. Tell me where you live and I'll tell you where to get it @ that price.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:49pm On Mar 31, 2012
Please lets keep it clean, there is no need for name calling

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olaone1: 8:06pm On Mar 31, 2012
Nwabobo, you have the opportunity to modify your post.

I am ready to come across as unrefined just to get even with you.

Modify your post.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olaone1: 8:45am On Apr 02, 2012
Justwise, you need to tell me why you have hidden my replies to nwabobo but his insulting comments are still there - conspicuous!

I need answers. I am waiting . . .
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:52am On Apr 02, 2012
Ola one: Justwise, you need to tell me why you have hidden my replies to nwabobo but his insulting comments are still there - conspicuous!

I need answers. I am waiting . . .

I did not just hide your post alone, i hide nwabobo's post as well, his first comment to you and your reply are still there for you to see.

That said, insults and war of words will not be allowed to show here, i pointed it out before that we should keep this argument clean and i still maintain that.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olaone1: 8:57am On Apr 02, 2012
https://www.nairaland.com/894004/most-yoruba-leaders-ex-convicts

thread started by a successful kidnapper called nwobobo
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:03am On Apr 02, 2012
I have modified all the posts between you and nwobobo,i have removed all the insults for the sake of peace.

You really need to stop dragging this
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olaone1: 9:03am On Apr 02, 2012
Deleted

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.