Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,441 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:37 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (131) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (809746 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by scoobs: 3:11pm On Jul 13, 2015
milychocs:

Her name is Theresa May
....and she is veeeery popular with the average white British person
Read the Daily Mail comments and see their general opinion
It will be an eye opener for some....the comments
All of them

Cheers
I get sad anytime I hear or see that name, she looks like some1 who derives joy in frustrating others.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OluwaChinenyenwa: 3:17pm On Jul 13, 2015
milychocs:

Her name is Theresa May
....and she is veeeery popular with the average white British person
Read the Daily Mail comments and see their general opinion
It will be an eye opener for some....the comments
All of them

Cheers
I know its Theresa May, i was just being sarcastic with the "Magaret Thatcher" name, seeing as they have something in common.

Daily mail? Will check now

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OluwaChinenyenwa: 3:23pm On Jul 13, 2015
salsera:

This law will affect her. She's 19 going for a 4year course. Ib terms of funding for those 4years is it tucked away somewhere where it can not be used for other stuff?
Even if she has school funds confirmed what about living expenses, clothing , travel, food , accommodation, will you her family be responsible for 'her pocket money'
Cmon lets be real here. A job ? That's still requires her to finish the course first and you ask why she's crying. I think she's more in tune with the realities than you are.
Or she may have had a unrealistic expectation of what extra income she could make from parttime work anyways. With undergrad studies she may not have enough time to work much anyways asides from holidays.
By the way not being allowed to work may also cover things such as internships and year-in-industry opportunities as well which also narrows her work opportunities.

Her best motivation would be assurance family that you will cover her needs throughout the 4yrs.

I honestly think she should reconsider. It would have been better if she had a scholarship or if this was just a postgrad degree. Even other European countries should be considered like Germany, fees are less and work opportunities post school better. And she's just an Easyjet trip away from you
I know what the exchange rate in the last 6months has done for those still studying in the UK. Some maybe kicked out of school.

Chai
I agree she is more into touch with reality than i am, oh well!
I think Living expenses have been sorted for her.
She was also concerned about the part time Job while still in Uni. I asked her to reconsider, i don't think her folks are in the same line with me, so i will just let her be. Thanks all the same
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OluwaChinenyenwa: 3:27pm On Jul 13, 2015
justwise:

Far too young to gamble that money and go through the stress of working to survive in the UK.

With degree from the UK trying to stay back through any family member will be a tough one.

If this is the case of study then return back to Nigeria then no problem.

Will the UK immigration law get 'friendlier' in the future? I wouldn't put my money on that.
Yes, right!
If the work Visa gets abolished, then its all to study and leave! I guess with time, she'd be forced to accept that. Only if she doesnt reconsider though!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OluwaChinenyenwa: 3:28pm On Jul 13, 2015
claremont:

If your cousin really wants to study in the UK in the light of its hostile immigration policies, then let her come. If I were in her shoes, I will come in and study hard to get a very high CGPA, I will then use this to apply for a fully-funded postgraduate course in Canada or America during my penultimate year. There is nothing stopping her from applying for a PhD scholarship in Canada, America, or Australia whilst studying for a first degree in the UK, it all requires intricate planning.
Gracias
I also told her this, let her work hard when she finally comes, make a good result and smile into a better country.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Petitediva14(f): 3:40pm On Jul 13, 2015
crazydove:

Universities have started speaking up including their business assiociates.

If they like they should not talk. Imagine paying £22850 as against £9000 for home student. And more than 100 students would pay that for one year. Bankruptcy would be their portion if they don't shine their eyes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jul 13, 2015
Petitediva14:

If they like they should not talk. Imagine paying £22850 as against £9000 for home student. And more than 100 students would pay that for one year. Bankruptcy would be their portion if they don't shine their eyes.

Lols they will use her salary na for their economy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by deniike(f): 5:47pm On Jul 13, 2015
Calm your nerves this new rule would only affect colleges those in A' levels and Foundation courses not genuine undergraduates and postgraduates.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Mekurexx: 7:41pm On Jul 13, 2015
Lol. They didnt state any exceptions...... Its clear its for postgrad & undergrad, or is there any new publication for clarity purposes?
deniike:
Calm your nerves this new rule would only affect colleges those in A' levels and Foundation courses not genuine undergraduates and postgraduates.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by deniike(f): 8:09pm On Jul 13, 2015
Mekurexx:
Lol. They didnt state any exceptions...... Its clear its for postgrad & undergrad, or is there any new publication for clarity purposes?
www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/13/work-restrictions-foreign-students-visa-fraud-crackdown

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jul 13, 2015

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jul 13, 2015
deniike:
www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/13/work-restrictions-foreign-students-visa-fraud-crackdown
@deniike is a researcher already. Good you cleared the air on those affected by the new visa restrictions. Now the policy is making sense, it's aimed at sending those Paki and their Indian brothers home, they're the once running those college scams. Genuine students in Universities should be rest assured, for now.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dodobytes: 10:00pm On Jul 13, 2015
naijamark:

@deniike is a researcher already. Good you cleared the air on those affected by the new visa restrictions. Now the policy is making sense, it's aimed at sending those Paki and their Indian brothers home, they're the once running those college scams. Genuine students in Universities should be rest assured, for now.

Your comment is full of ignorance,i bet u dont know what our Nigerian brothers are up to.Keep pointing fingers..

Dont just read one article and shout uhuru!..the policy if implemented will cut across uni and colleges,all foreign students will feel the heat.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jul 13, 2015
dodobytes:

Your comment is full of ignorance, i bet u dont know what our Nigerian brothers are up to.Keep pointing fingers..

Dont just read one article and shout uhuru!.. the policy if implemented will cut across uni and colleges,all foreign students will feel the heat.

Hi Prof, the knowledgeable and well informed. I would have said you're daft and lacking in basic comprehension skills, but who am I to say that to a Prof?

There are two articles here, the first does not explicitly state which category of non-EU students will be affected while the other, brought to our attention by @deniike, shows that actually, only college students will be affected. Which of these confuses you?

crazydove:
I saw this online and I decided to share.it seems the uk wants to ban foreign students from working.please read:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3158012/Foreign-students-banned-working-forced-leave-UK-course-ends.html

deniike:

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dodobytes: 11:03pm On Jul 13, 2015
firstly...try to broaden ur scope,not all Indians and Pakistanis are dubious,don't talk down on them because you secretly hope Universities will be exempted if the new regulation is implemented.I have lots of Indian pals n trust me,dey r gud peoples.

I know you want Universities to be spared the axe,when it falls..we all do.But sorry to burst ur bubble,foreign students in Uni's won't escape,that's why universities are crying out..go on twitter and see campaigns springing up.Do ur own research..apply urself mate!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:34am On Jul 14, 2015
House of Commons: Written Statement (HCWS95)
Home Office
Written Statement made by: The Minister of State for Immigration (James Brokenshire) on 13 Jul 2015.
Statement of Changes in Immigration Rules
My rt hon Friend the Home Secretary is today laying before the House a Statement of Changes in Immigration Rules.
These new rules make a number of changes to the Tier 4 route of the Points-Based System to reduce net migration and to tackle immigration abuse, whilst ensuring we maintain an excellent offer for students who wish to study at our world-class universities.
New students at publicly funded colleges will be prevented from being able to work in the UK, in order to bring their working rights in line with those of international students at private colleges. In the autumn, college students will be unable to switch to a work visa or extend their study visa whilst they are in the UK, whilst protecting students at embedded colleges who will progress onto study at a higher education institution.
The rules around academic progression are being tightened so that university students are only permitted to extend their studies at the same academic level if the course they wish to study is linked to their previous course, or the university confirms the course supports the student’s career aspirations. To help ensure international students are progressing academically the time limit on further education study will be reduced from three years to two years in the autumn.
The maintenance requirement for Tier 4 students is increasing, along with the maximum amount paid for accommodation which can be offset against the maintenance requirement, to bring them in line with 2015 rates. A rule around established presence which allowed students applying to extend their leave within the UK to show only two months’ maintenance is being removed.
The application of the rules on time limits is being clarified so that the time a student has already spent studying in the UK is calculated using the full length of the leave they have previously been granted.
Changes are being made to allow a Tier 4 visa to be issued in line with a student’s intended date of travel. This change to the date from which entry clearance can commence will help ensure a smooth roll-out of Biometric Residence Permits for overseas Tier 4 applicants.
Tier 4 migrants’ conditions of study are being changed, to prevent them from studying at academies or schools maintained by a local authority. Those who wish to study a foundation course to prepare for entry to higher education are also being prevented from doing so under the Tier 4 (Child) route.
Where responsibilities of sponsor organisations and terminology have recently changed, the rules are being updated.
The Government is reforming the student visa system to reduce net migration and tackle abuse. These changes will help achieve this, whilst ensuring the UK maintains a highly competitive offer and continues to attract the brightest and best international students.

I am also taking this opportunity to make a number of smaller changes to the Immigration Rules:
- enabling South African diplomatic passport holders to travel visa free to the UK for the purpose of ‘visit in transit’
- amend the eligibility requirements for transit passengers, aligning the period within which non- visa nationals must intend and are able to leave the UK with that of visa nationals (other than those using the Transit Without Visa Scheme)
- changes to administrative review, which have been identified as necessary during the early stages of implementation
- minor changes and clarifications relating to family and private life, mainly reflecting feedback from caseworkers and legal practitioners on the operation of the rules
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Mekurexx: 4:01pm On Jul 14, 2015
I went through the articel denike posted and I agree with you that the immigration curb is a blanket over the education sector affecting all international students. The only positives (based on the comments) is Theresa May talks toomuch to the media and doesnt really act, and this new proposed move carries a lot of weight in terms of negative consequences. the whole point of it is just to reduce immigration net to just 100,000 yearly, so i think its a desperate move by the Home secretary
dodobytes:
firstly...try to broaden ur scope,not all Indians and Pakistanis are dubious,don't talk down on them because you secretly hope Universities will be exempted if the new regulation is implemented.I have lots of Indian pals n trust me,dey r gud peoples.

I know you want Universities to be spared the axe,when it falls..we all do.But sorry to burst ur bubble,foreign students in Uni's won't escape,that's why universities are crying out..go on twitter and see campaigns springing up.Do ur own research..apply urself mate!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 6:13pm On Jul 14, 2015
To whom it may concern cool

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by guardian09(m): 7:03pm On Jul 14, 2015
spikesC:
Hmmmph 30 pounds he he okay...@spikesC am guessing you got a mail about this...will probably speak with First bank about it first though ...had gotten wind of this from a Zenith Bank customer, checked the OIS company website and read that the BVN registration at their London and Leicester offices is for all Nigerian bank account holders. I then called Gtb and the customer care rep was like I should be careful as it might be a scam as CBN has not given any modalities to BVN registration for customers in the Diaspora and that no one is to pay to register for BVN.

Update: Just spoke with a customer care rep of First Bank who says info is authentic, will try and carry out my registration asap.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 10:18pm On Jul 14, 2015
guardian09:

Hmmmph 30 pounds he he okay...@spikesC am guessing you got a mail about this...will probably speak with First bank about it first though ...had gotten wind of this from a Zenith Bank customer, checked the OIS company website and read that the BVN registration at their London and Leicester offices is for all Nigerian bank account holders. I then called Gtb and the customer care rep was like I should be careful as it might be a scam as CBN has not given any modalities to BVN registration for customers in the Diaspora and that no one is to pay to register for BVN.

Update: Just spoke with a customer care rep of First Bank who says info is authentic, will try and carry out my registration asap.

Yeah, I got a mail from first bank. I believe you only need to register in one bank, then link the number to other accounts. I might be mistaken though
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by thababe: 11:53pm On Jul 14, 2015
Pls who can give me the cons and pros of owning a car in the UK. Cus of my children i think i may need it... However worried about all the MOT n all. Thnks in advance
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry357: 6:44am On Jul 15, 2015
thababe:
Pls who can give me the cons and pros of owning a car in the UK. Cus of my children i think i may need it... However worried about all the MOT n all. Thnks in advance
Car ownership is very easy BUT you must follow the rules.
All cars must be in good condition, safe and road legal (unlike Nigeria) this is what the MOT checks every year (you pay for this every year.)
The car must be registered in someones (your ) name.
You must pay insurance.
You must pay vehicle excise licence.

NOTE as you drive the whole system is computerised and many cameras can instantly check all details are paid up to date!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by juniremix: 7:16am On Jul 15, 2015
UK postgraduate students please share your experiences here so we prospective students can gain from you. Base on academic, work during study and living cost. I got my conditional offer from Coventry university and I'm yet to pay my fees thanks

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by memeguy: 12:47pm On Jul 15, 2015
juniremix:
UK postgraduate students please share your experiences here so we prospective students can gain from you. Base on academic, work during study and living cost. I got my conditional offer from Coventry university and I'm yet to pay my fees thanks

Isn't that the point of the entire thread?

Do yourself a favour and read through.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by juniremix: 7:28am On Jul 16, 2015
That was an old news. You know we are in 2015/2016. I believe there must be adjustm

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by thababe: 9:23am On Jul 16, 2015
worry357:

Car ownership is very easy BUT you must follow the rules.
All cars must be in good condition, safe and road legal (unlike Nigeria) this is what the MOT checks every year (you pay for this every year.)
The car must be registered in someones (your ) name.
You must pay insurance.
You must pay vehicle excise licence.

NOTE as you drive the whole system is computerised and many cameras can instantly check all details are paid up to date!

Thanks alot
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jamela(f): 1:38pm On Jul 20, 2015
spikesC:

Hi, I tried using my Uba MasterCard today in the UK but it wouldn't work, I can see my balance but can't make any withdrawals. Can someone please tell me what has happened?
Is this about the cbn ban?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 1:53pm On Jul 20, 2015
jamela:

Hi, I tried using my Uba MasterCard today in the UK but it wouldn't work, I can see my balance but can't make any withdrawals. Can someone please tell me what has happened?
Is this about the cbn ban?

Did you notify your bank that you were travelling? Firstbank does the same
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by deniike(f): 1:59pm On Jul 20, 2015
juniremix:
That was an old news. You know we are in 2015/2016. I believe there must be adjustm
I quite agree no current survival tips here, the students are not really talking things like the favourable bank to set up with or whether it is preferable to swipe cards alone? We don't knw The expensive food items dere, we dnt knw if it would be a waste of time to take some food items, we dont have an updated idea of food items that would be allowed? We don't knw the best telcom to set up with? We dont have enough tips on things 2 look out for when getting dat private accommodation everyone suggets? Apart from reading everyday and plagiarism are there other tips 2 note on "acing" exams? What r doz "new" stuffs dat consume cash quickly what stores are we to avoid? Frm what they've seen with students are there other legal ways to make cash? And there again jobs jobs jobs!!!! We need tips current ones..just 2 give us dat advantage!. Epp!! Make this experience worthwhile

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jamela(f): 2:02pm On Jul 20, 2015
thababe:

I don't know much but this is what my friend sent me a while ago, so I've just copied and pasted it, hope it helps.

You need,
MOT test: Maximum £54.85 for a car /12 months. The car needs to pass to be road worthy.
Road TAX: Different costs depending on engine size(before 2001 models) or fuel type and CO2 emissions (after 2001 models)
Insurance (Annually or Monthly): Depending on age, number of drivers, 'previous insurance no claims bonus' or driving experience (when you got licensed), your insurance premium could be very high if this would be the first time you are getting insured. Use 'Google Compare' to check various insurance services for their quotes based on your current situation, you can use any name where it says 'driver' if you want to stay anonymous. Cheers C

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jamela(f): 2:07pm On Jul 20, 2015
spikesC:

Did you notify your bank that you were travelling? Firstbank does the same

I think they do, I used the card here about two months ago. and I used it a couple of times last year as well. Do you know if this has something to do with the ban? I did the bvn thing before I left Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) ... (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.