Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,464 members, 7,819,689 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (128) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (811738 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry357: 8:38pm On Jun 26, 2015
There is a feeling amongs many Nigerians that they MUST get a degree and that this will be a golden passport to riches.
Many study in any school or country just to get a certificate, spending £10, 000 to £30,000 or even more .
They still end up selling yams in the market, with never a hope of earning back the money spent. embarassed
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Anyi3(m): 8:39pm On Jun 26, 2015
justwise:

I'm sorry but he is clueless.

There are so many reasons why people end up in those universities he tagged lowly ranked and waste of money.

Many universities are very good at certain subjects and general ranking does not reflect this but subject ranking does.

Some Nigerians and indeed African students on scholarship are studying in those lowly ranked universities because of the agreement between the scholarship awarding body and the school.

Self sponsoring student on study leave may not consider school ranking but just want to gained more knowledge in their field and return to their jobs in Nigeria.

Like i said before there are many reasons...

Calling him clueless isn't an insult

I feel the guy is making a point. He's exaggerating though. There was a period on this thread where people were talking a lot about Coventry, so he was just wondering what's the hype.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:42pm On Jun 26, 2015
Anyi3:

I feel the guy is making a point. He's exaggerating though. There was a period on this thread where people were talking a lot about Coventry, so he was just wondering what's the hype.

So saying that you don't have a clue is an insult?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jun 26, 2015
justwise:

I'm sorry but he is clueless.

There are so many reasons why people end up in those universities he tagged lowly ranked and waste of money.

Many universities are very good at certain subjects and general ranking does not reflect this but subject ranking does.

Some Nigerians and indeed African students on scholarship are studying in those lowly ranked universities because of the agreement between the scholarship awarding body and the school.

Self sponsoring student on study leave may not consider school ranking but just want to gained more knowledge in their field and return to their jobs in Nigeria.

Like i said before there are many reasons...

May God bless you.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Anyi3(m): 8:47pm On Jun 26, 2015
justwise:

So saying that you don't have a clue is an insult?

Context bro.
You don't have a clue
sounds different from
You're clueless

They mean the same but one has a condescending tone attached

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jun 26, 2015
Anyi3:

Hype?how? Did anyone mention that school is well ranked or something.there was a reason why people talked about coventry.a ranking table in the uk said its among the top 15 another said is 48th so what's the hype there?do you know the definition of HYPE at all?did anyone mention it as a top school in the uk?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by iamord(m): 9:23pm On Jun 26, 2015
spikesC:

We know bullshlt when we see it grin

It's so easy recognising people who portray their ignorant opinions as facts, so I still wonder why you guys engage in futile arguments with them
well call It what ever u want. What I know u can't change it.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by iamord(m): 9:27pm On Jun 26, 2015
erico2k2:

Exactly, and i work with them,the actualy envy us Nigerians.
here we go again!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Anyi3(m): 11:58pm On Jun 26, 2015
crazydove:

Hype?how? Did anyone mention that school is well ranked or something.there was a reason why people talked about coventry.a ranking table in the uk said its among the top 15 another said is 48th so what's the hype there?do you know the definition of HYPE at all?did anyone mention it as a top school in the uk?

I don't buy his idea entirely, just saying he raised some valid points. If someone must pay millions try and make it a very good school.

He was probably wondering why people were talking so much about a school that was not particularly highly ranked on the global stage.

Don't get me wrong I'm not in the clique of people who bash people who study in the UK. Everybody should go wherever they please.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:12am On Jun 27, 2015
Anyi3:

I don't buy his idea entirely, just saying he raised some valid points. If someone must pay millions try and make it a very good school.

He was probably wondering why people were talking so much about a school that was not particularly highly ranked on the global stage.

Don't get me wrong I'm not in the clique of people who bash people who study in the UK. Everybody should go wherever they please.

Then he should have read very very well.those who talked about the school faulted the school and praised the school on how they are trying to improve.everyone has a reason of their school of choice or country.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by aventura: 9:16pm On Jul 01, 2015
Adaobi123 angryAdaobi123
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jul 01, 2015
aventura:
angryAdaobi123 angryAdaobi123

yes ?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jul 01, 2015
worry357:
There is a feeling amongs many Nigerians that they MUST get a degree and that this will be a golden passport to riches.
Many study in any school or country just to get a certificate, spending £10, 000 to £30,000 or even more .
They still end up selling yams in the market, with never a hope of earning back the money spent. embarassed

worry, worry guy, u too dey worry....buhahaha grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ugojay(f): 11:00pm On Jul 01, 2015
Pls oo anybody here goin to university of bradford dis september?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by aventura: 9:31am On Jul 02, 2015
angry
adaobi123:

yes ?
angry
adaobi123:

yes ?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Juwohn: 6:56am On Jul 10, 2015
Somebody please, how easy is it to get a good lecturing job in the UK... I'm finishing my PhD from Southampton soon with very good marks.

Is it likely I will be retained??

thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by chilez(f): 9:10am On Jul 10, 2015
Hello, please anybody going to glasgow caledonian dis september.. Mail me on chilezdengr@gmail.com
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:40am On Jul 10, 2015
Juwohn:
Somebody please, how easy is it to get a good lecturing job in the UK... I'm finishing my PhD from Southampton soon with very good marks.

thanks
I am not trying to discourage you but it could be difficult at this stage.I don't know your field of study but most UK universities don't employ recent PhD holders directly into teaching.I Know that from my own little research.Try and apply for the post -doctorate scheme/program.As a PhD holder,opportunities abound in research and the academia. Also it depends on your performance and recommendations from any of your lecturers and supervisors for you to going into lecturing.Also they have to consider many factors like immigration,research interest etc.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:59am On Jul 10, 2015
Samoalfred:
I am not trying to discourage you but it could be difficult at this stage.I don't know your field of study but most UK universities don't employ recent PhD holders directly into teaching.I Know that from my own little research.Try and apply for the post -doctorate scheme/program.As a PhD holder,opportunities abound in research and the academia. Also it depends on your performance and recommendations from any of your lecturers and supervisors for you to going into lecturing.Also they have to consider many factors like immigration,research interest etc.

I know a young Nigerian who is lecturing in one of uk universities.and he started lecturing before he finished his Doctorate degree.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:09am On Jul 10, 2015
Juwohn:

thanks

A friend who finished her PhD in Bradford university is lecturing in Huddersfield university the last time we talked, though she is not a Nigerian but its possible, just do your research since you will be given one year to work after your program.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:36am On Jul 10, 2015
Justwise,please can someone do a part-time program in a postgraduate degree after his/her masters?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:53am On Jul 10, 2015
crazydove:
Justwise,please can someone do a part-time program in a postgraduate degree after his/her masters?

I don't think you can since foreign students are not allowed to study part time
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:08am On Jul 10, 2015
justwise:

I don't think you can since foreign students are not allowed to study part time

Alright thank you
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:21am On Jul 10, 2015
crazydove:

I know a young Nigerian who is lecturing in one of uk universities.and he started lecturing before he finished his Doctorate degree.
I did not say it is impossible.It could be difficult.Lecturing before he finished his PhD? Hmmmn

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:55am On Jul 10, 2015
Samoalfred:
I did not say it is impossible.It could be difficult.Lecturing before he finished his PhD? Hmmmn

I never made any conclusion you said so.I just gave a valid study and yes,he is lecturing in a very good school in uk where he did his PHD.And he just rounded up his PHD recently.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 2:06pm On Jul 10, 2015
Samoalfred:

My brother is a lecturer and he hasn't finished his PhD
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by memeguy: 2:44pm On Jul 10, 2015
spikesC:

My brother is a lecturer and he hasn't finished his PhD

If your brother is studying a Science/Engineering course, he is most likely a teaching assistant or a lab demonstrator.

Normally, after a studying for a PhD in a STEM course, most people go on to complete a post-doctoral program, engaging in active research, usually for a period of 2years. As a researcher, no one will take you very seriously if you haven't undergone a post-doc. Even UK students (who do not have any immigration issues, btw) do this, so if you have studied a science/engineering course, it is in your best interest to start searching for Post-doc positions.

That said, I cannot make any conclusive comments about social sciences courses, humanities or the arts.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jul 10, 2015
memeguy:

If your brother is studying a Science/Engineering course, he is most likely a teaching assistant or a lab demonstrator.

Normally, after a studying for a PhD in a STEM course, most people go on to complete a post-doctoral program, engaging in active research, usually for a period of 2years. As a researcher, no one will take you very seriously if you haven't undergone a post-doc. Even UK students (who do not have any immigration issues, btw) do this, so if you have studied a science/engineering course, it is in your best interest to start searching for Post-doc positions.

That said, I cannot make any conclusive
comments about social sciences courses, humanities or the arts.

The person I know is into management and he's into research,consultation etc
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 4:23pm On Jul 10, 2015
memeguy:

That said, I cannot make any conclusive comments about social sciences courses, humanities or the arts.

Calm down and ask questions first. Na my brother we dey talk about here so grin

He is a LECTURER
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by purpledandelion: 4:35pm On Jul 10, 2015
Who's going Manchester Metropolitan University this September? Hit me up!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by chilez(f): 8:58pm On Jul 10, 2015
Please whose going to Glasgow Caledonian Uni dis september pls hit me up or mail to chilezdengr@yahoo.com

(1) (2) (3) ... (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.