Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,054 members, 7,814,626 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:30 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (130) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (810646 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OluwaChinenyenwa: 11:39pm On Jul 12, 2015
crazydove:

It is well
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OluwaChinenyenwa: 11:42pm On Jul 12, 2015
Dfavouredone:

My brother the best motivation is to say the truth as it is.

Things are getting bad and to deceive somebody to something that might get even worst is worth re-considering.

With the way things are going, we dont expect the immigration situation of foreign student to improve tremendously in four years.

She is better of requesting for a refund from her school and going somewhere else (where ever that is except UK - though i prefer Canada).

Many self sponsor students in my school wished each day, they had chosen other more friendly destinations.

As for settling because her family is in UK, I think this is the aspect you can concentrate on motivating her that she can survive else if others have been surviving (besides she has her money and isnt going there to survive by hustling - i guess).

My one cent. Prevention is better than Cure.
True! But i guess having some sort of comfort after arrivals can pull her through!

Then this news is still a proposal right? What if it doesn't get to the final bustop? grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by memeguy: 11:45pm On Jul 12, 2015
Mekurexx:
I just tore my admission letters. Thats rubbish mehn...im not going there AGAIN.

Good for you, bro.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:51pm On Jul 12, 2015
I think we should be calm and make other plans.uk might be a stepping stone to other countries/opportunities for some people.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Mekurexx: 11:54pm On Jul 12, 2015
If i was your cousin. I will cry.personally i wont even eat this week... Even reading your post i started sobbing too. Well since she has a family in UK,i think moneywise she is ok.but wats the point of sch? Learning and also learning independence(financial independence). Best bet for her is either she encourages herself to continue or ask for a refund. And chances that the proposal will be a law is 99%(in my own opinion) except the schools,stakeholders,biz guys campaign against it VIGOROUSLY about the negative effects then it might be put on probation. Goodluck to your cousin [quote author=

@OluwaChinenyenwa

I

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Mekurexx: 11:57pm On Jul 12, 2015
National Uni Singapore is Excellent. But cost of libing there is High. Aussie is a NO-NO
crazydove:
I think we should be calm and make other plans.uk might be a stepping stone to other countries/opportunities for some people.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:01am On Jul 13, 2015
Mekurexx:
National Uni Singapore is Excellent. But cost of libing there is High. Aussie is a NO-NO

Lol Singapore?for what na.I better go for my aberdeen smiley and maybe move to US or Aussie or New Zealand.Canada really wasted my time and money lols
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OluwaChinenyenwa: 12:01am On Jul 13, 2015
Mekurexx:
If i was your cousin. I will cry.personally i wont even eat this week... Even reading your post i started sobbing too. Well since she has a family in UK,i think moneywise she is ok.but wats the point of sch? Learning and also learning independence(financial independence). Best bet for her is either she encourages herself to continue or ask for a refund. And chances that the proposal will be a law is 99%(in my own opinion) except the schools,stakeholders,biz guys campaign against it VIGOROUSLY about the negative effects then it might be put on probation. Goodluck to your cousin
Awwww
Thanks very much!!
Don't cry jare, its all good.
Going to another country is out of line embarassed
I really hope the stakeholders and to all "to whom" it may concern don't agree to this, very unfair i must say!!
But fingers crossed and hopes high, i really hope for her sake and for other peeps in same situation, this proposal gets revoked, wishful thinkings!!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:04am On Jul 13, 2015
OluwaChinenyenwa:
Awwww
Thanks very much!!
Don't cry jare, its all good.
Going to another country is out of line embarassed
I really hope the stakeholders and to all "to whom" it may concern don't agree to this, very unfair i must say!!
But fingers crossed and hopes high, i really hope for her sake and for other peeps in same situation, this proposal gets revoked, wishful thinkings!!

I think its going to be effective as from April 2016 I don't know if it has been passed.but they will suffer at the end cuz students won't come again

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 12:10am On Jul 13, 2015
OluwaChinenyenwa:
Good evening NLanders!! Justwise, worry357, spikesc and other lovely U.K diasporans tongue

I have a cousin who also happens to be a Nairalander, i am bringing this here for her to get other opinions and stop disturbing me grin
She'd soon be making her U.K student Visa application and then this news of foreign students leaving the country after studies dropped, she has been on the phone with me all evening crying cause she said she really wanted to stay back and work. i already told her to worry less cause by the time she has completed her four years in the U.K something else must have come up, i know i am very bad at motivating someone, LOL. She really can't go to any other country now cause
1)She has family in U.K and this might help settle her in fully well..

2)She already paid half of the tuition fees, everything for her Visa application is ready.

I just need you guys to say something positive to her, let her see the light at the end of that tunnel. I know some peeps are also in her shoes, so i guess whatever you guys tell her will also calm some spirits down..

Thanks smiley smiley

The only current adverse effect this rule will have on her is that she won't be able to work part time legally. If she has full support from family, then that wouldn't be a problem.
For staying back after school, it is still the same thing. Except you'll have to apply in your home country for Tier 2. Normally, when you get a job with sponsorship, you apply in the Uk. If this is implemented, she just have to come back and apply from Nigeria. I see no way that would be a problem for her
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OluwaChinenyenwa: 12:10am On Jul 13, 2015
crazydove:

I think its going to be effective as from April 2016 I don't know if it has been passed.but they will suffer at the end cuz students won't come again
2016? Now lets ask God to push U.K over to 2017 hehehhe

U.K blaming immigrants for their woes since time immemorial
I thought this died along with Magaret Thatcher? Who resurrected this proposal again?
Nawa o. Na to seek asylum go be the next big thing now o grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 12:13am On Jul 13, 2015
Dfavouredone:

My brother the best motivation is to say the truth as it is.

Things are getting bad and to deceive somebody to something that might get even worst is worth re-considering.

With the way things are going, we dont expect the immigration situation of foreign student to improve tremendously in four years.

She is better of requesting for a refund from her school and going somewhere else (where ever that is except UK - though i prefer Canada).

Many self sponsor students in my school wished each day, they had chosen other more friendly destinations.

As for settling because her family is in UK, I think this is the aspect you can concentrate on motivating her that she can survive else if others have been surviving (besides she has her money and isnt going there to survive by hustling - i guess).

My one cent. Prevention is better than Cure.

Why should she request for a refund? What is she preventing?

What if she doesn't want to work part time in the UK? Is there any other thing that would affect her?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OluwaChinenyenwa: 12:15am On Jul 13, 2015
spikesC:

The only current adverse effect this rule will have on her is that she won't be able to work part time legally. If she has full support from family, then that wouldn't be a problem.
For staying back after school, it is still the same thing. Except you'll have to apply in your home country for Tier 2. Normally, when you get a job with sponsorship, you apply in the Uk. If this is implemented, she just have to come back and apply from Nigeria. I see no way that would be a problem for her
She needs some other form of sustaining herself na, the minimum wage she'd be paid will go a long way for her,
Naija is hard now o!!

Wait, can you apply for a job in the U.K after graduation? And just come back to Nigeria and apply for the work Visa?
Getting a sponsor in the U.K is quite hard, more or less seeking for a job from a different country!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Mekurexx: 12:18am On Jul 13, 2015
Education in Singapore is competitve plus their country is really cool. Well depends on the course. Im going for occupation health&safety/ environmental health &safety.and the curriculum sef is really engaging. Just have a good look at the Uni website yourself
crazydove:

Lol Singapore?for what na.I better go for my aberdeen smiley and maybe move to US or Aussie or New Zealand.Canada really wasted my time and money lols
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:21am On Jul 13, 2015
Mekurexx:
Education in Singapore is competitve plus their country is really cool. Well depends on the course. Im going for occupation health&safety/ environmental health &safety.and the curriculum sef is really engaging. Just have a good look at the Uni website yourself

Alright will do just that
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 12:23am On Jul 13, 2015
OluwaChinenyenwa:
She needs some other form of sustaining herself na, the minimum wage she'd be paid will go a long way for her,
Naija is hard now o!!

Wait, can you apply for a job in the U.K after graduation? And just come back to Nigeria and apply for the work Visa?
Getting a sponsor in the U.K is quite hard, more or less seeking for a job from a different country!!

That's the only problem. Hopefully, that part would be scraped.
Whether you apply for Tier 2 visa in the Uk or Nigeria still depends on you getting the job first. If she doesn't get a job before her visa expires, then it still doesn't matter.

If she gets a job and collects her sponsorship letter, she would travel back home and apply. It's just that simple
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:26am On Jul 13, 2015
OluwaChinenyenwa:
Good evening NLanders!! Justwise, worry357, spikesc and other lovely U.K diasporans tongue

I have a cousin who also happens to be a Nairalander, i am bringing this here for her to get other opinions and stop disturbing me grin
She'd soon be making her U.K student Visa application and then this news of foreign students leaving the country after studies dropped, she has been on the phone with me all evening crying cause she said she really wanted to stay back and work. i already told her to worry less cause by the time she has completed her four years in the U.K something else must have come up, i know i am very bad at motivating someone, LOL. She really can't go to any other country now cause

2)She already paid half of the tuition fees, everything for her Visa application is ready.

I just need you guys to say something positive to her, let her see the light at the end of that tunnel. I know some peeps are also in her shoes, so i guess whatever you guys tell her will also calm some spirits down..

Thanks smiley smiley

How old is your cousin?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:29am On Jul 13, 2015
crazydove:
I saw this online and I decided to share.it seems the uk wants to ban foreign students from working.please read:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3158012/Foreign-students-banned-working-forced-leave-UK-course-ends.html

If universities allow this to happen then they will feel the pain. The govt will make a u-turn after year when the income from foreign students start dropping like bag of potatoes

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:31am On Jul 13, 2015
scoobs:
www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jun/24/new-uk-immigration-rules-will-you-be-affected

That is for foreign nurses and that is after 5 yrs of working here. Nurses earn more than that for a start anyway.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:32am On Jul 13, 2015
justwise:

If universities allow this to happen then they will feel the pain. The govt will make a u-turn after year when the income from foreign students start dropping like bag of potatoes

Seriously and they know they make so much from education.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:35am On Jul 13, 2015
justwise:

That is for foreign nurses and that is after 5 yrs of working here. Nurses earn more than that for a start anyway.

It seems the new law will affect nurses and they(nurses) have started working against the law.I saw something like that on twitter.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by obiaguna(m): 1:24am On Jul 13, 2015
crazydove:

How did Canada waste your money?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OluwaChinenyenwa: 6:10am On Jul 13, 2015
spikesC:

That's the only problem. Hopefully, that part would be scraped.
Whether you apply for Tier 2 visa in the Uk or Nigeria still depends on you getting the job first. If she doesn't get a job before her visa expires, then it still doesn't matter.

If she gets a job and collects her sponsorship letter, she would travel back home and apply. It's just that simple
Now let's wait for 2016 grin
Thanks for indulging..
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OluwaChinenyenwa: 6:11am On Jul 13, 2015
justwise:

How old is your cousin?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:05am On Jul 13, 2015
obiaguna:

How did Canada waste your money?

Go to their thread and read.I can't talk about another country on this thread.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:13am On Jul 13, 2015
OluwaChinenyenwa:

Far too young to gamble that money and go through the stress of working to survive in the UK.

With degree from the UK trying to stay back through any family member will be a tough one.

If this is the case of study then return back to Nigeria then no problem.

Will the UK immigration law get 'friendlier' in the future? I wouldn't put my money on that.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 7:31am On Jul 13, 2015
OluwaChinenyenwa:

Thanks smiley smiley

If your cousin really wants to study in the UK in the light of its hostile immigration policies, then let her come. If I were in her shoes, I will come in and study hard to get a very high CGPA, I will then use this to apply for a fully-funded postgraduate course in Canada or America during my penultimate year. There is nothing stopping her from applying for a PhD scholarship in Canada, America, or Australia whilst studying for a first degree in the UK, it all requires intricate planning.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by scoobs: 7:54am On Jul 13, 2015
Why didn't they just make this public earlier this year?? They know quite a number would have applied for visas already.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jul 13, 2015
OluwaChinenyenwa:

Thanks smiley smiley

This law will affect her. She's 19 going for a 4year course. Ib terms of funding for those 4years is it tucked away somewhere where it can not be used for other stuff?
Even if she has school funds confirmed what about living expenses, clothing , travel, food , accommodation, will you her family be responsible for 'her pocket money'
Cmon lets be real here. A job ? That's still requires her to finish the course first and you ask why she's crying. I think she's more in tune with the realities than you are.
Or she may have had a unrealistic expectation of what extra income she could make from parttime work anyways. With undergrad studies she may not have enough time to work much anyways asides from holidays.
By the way not being allowed to work may also cover things such as internships and year-in-industry opportunities as well which also narrows her work opportunities.

Her best motivation would be assurance family that you will cover her needs throughout the 4yrs.

I honestly think she should reconsider. It would have been better if she had a scholarship or if this was just a postgrad degree. Even other European countries should be considered like Germany, fees are less and work opportunities post school better. And she's just an Easyjet trip away from you
I know what the exchange rate in the last 6months has done for those still studying in the UK. Some maybe kicked out of school.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jul 13, 2015
OluwaChinenyenwa:
2016? Now lets ask God to push U.K over to 2017 hehehhe

U.K blaming immigrants for their woes since time immemorial
I thought this died along with Magaret Thatcher? Who resurrected this proposal again?
Nawa o. Na to seek asylum go be the next big thing now o grin

Her name is Theresa May
....and she is veeeery popular with the average white British person
Read the Daily Mail comments and see their general opinion
It will be an eye opener for some....the comments
All of them

Cheers
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Petitediva14(f): 2:52pm On Jul 13, 2015
milychocs:

Her name is Theresa May
....and she is veeeery popular with the average white British person
Read the Daily Mail comments and see their general opinion
It will be an eye opener for some....the comments
All of them

Cheers

The proposal would be thrown out. That woman won't get her way. By the time the universities and the finance minister/education minister come with the figures of the billions international students pay and how countries who tried this nonsense have lost out then they would think twice. Let us wait and see. They would be looking at the wrong people to put blame on. Rubbish!!!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jul 13, 2015
Petitediva14:

The proposal would be thrown out. That woman won't get her way. By the time the universities and the finance minister/education minister come with the figures of the billions international students pay and how countries who tried this nonsense have lost out then they would think twice. Let us wait and see. They would be looking at the wrong people to put blame on. Rubbish!!!

Universities have started speaking up including their business assiociates.

(1) (2) (3) ... (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.