Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,374 members, 7,864,714 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 03:38 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (59) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (817863 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 10:38am On Dec 30, 2013
Saucy Dolph: Hey everyone. Good day. Please I need your suggestion and help. I want to book a hotel in Manchester. I guess some of you must have done that before coming to UK.I want to book it along Oxford road, Manchester or anyone close to University of Manchester. Please what are the criteria to look for when booking a room and if anybody knows any good one around, please suggest. Want to book it for May(14th-30th).
Really appreciate your help.
Thanks
Why you want to book a hotel for that long [over 2 weeks] beats me? embarassed embarassed
You must be in the $$$$$ then seeing a week at an 'ordinary' Bread and Breakfast can set you back by 300 - 400 quid shocked shocked
Your Uni should have a list of recommended hotels you could pick from, do find out
Hotels near Universities are normally more pricey
UK has a good road network thus taxis and buses would help in transit
Have a look at http://www.laterooms.com/ and http://www.hostelworld.com/ if your uni can't help out
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 9:16pm On Dec 30, 2013
Don Oms:
lol... Actually, me I'm no bookwarm o. Academics does not shake me o, when I'm no Einstein. I have been very regular on the other thread (Visa application) trying to help others too, but I don't post on this thread though I visit it regularly too.
As for the cold, na indoors things o. But honestly, it's not that cold yet. From the gists I've been told, this ain't no cold until January perhaps. Coincidentally, it'll be my exams in January.... I know God exists grin.
Don't mind the rate jare. God is bigger than Mr Exchange Rate!

I do see your footprint on the visa application thread as you said
Was a regular there some time back till one intending applicant vilely objected to my pointing the extent of her foolishness in some of her actions and inactions
The dudes on this thread seem more reasonable, so I regularly post here now grin grin
I heard too have learnt about the cold been more intense in January angry angry
But I've reasonably coped so far till now and regardless of what January brings, we go overcome cool cool
As per the exchange rate, abeg leave God out of the ineptitude of our economic planners undecided undecided
I just know that if my money runs out,Mama Charles should get ready to issue me interest free monetary handouts wink wink
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by lepasharon(f): 10:06pm On Dec 30, 2013
bunburized:
How do I go about doing this? I can see that the only open available to me is the international student account. There seem to be a £5 monthly account fee(not cool for a hustling student). Is this a regular account cause it seem the rail card is applicable only to a student account. What are the advantages aside the rail card?
I really need you to throw light on this.

Hi ! ,yeah just go to a santander branch and tell em you want a student account,I think international student account also benefits from the free rail card..
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dkoo: 1:14pm On Dec 31, 2013
Hello people pleas i need una help. i am a new student in the UK and so far it has been so good except for the problem i came here today with. please my brodas those who came here before me, how do i get a job? what kinda job is more likely for an international student to get? how do i apply for it? i mean if anyone has got a good website for jobs please give me its a plea..
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DonOms(m): 9:13pm On Dec 31, 2013
ochukoccna:

Was a regular there some time back till one intending applicant vilely objected to my pointing the extent of her foolishness in some of her actions and inactions
The dudes on this thread seem more reasonable, so I regularly post here now grin grin
But I've reasonably coped so far till now and regardless of what January brings, we go overcome cool cool
As per the exchange rate, abeg leave God out of the ineptitude of our economic planners undecided undecided
I just know that if my money runs out,Mama Charles should get ready to issue me interest free monetary handouts wink wink

hehehe...Mama Charles won't look at your face o, trust me. But then, who knows? You can be given special treatment.
I remember the post to which you referred that an applicant objected to. People often reject the truth as it sounds bitter. So, you shouldn't mind that fellow at all. The people on this thread will perhaps be more civil and reasonable because their environment supports civility, so I can't argue otherwise.
God can't be left out of economy o, even many America's great leaders end their speeches with, "God bless America" and sometimes add, "and no place else." lol. My point is, while the economic situation of any nation largely depends on sound policies and good planning, God has His part to play especially when His own people are involved.
The weather isn't so bad around here, though changes abruptly and thus highly unpredictable.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Otuabaroku: 9:17pm On Dec 31, 2013
Hi Dkoo, I think the quickest way to get a job is registering with agency or your school. If you register with agency, keep disturbing them to show that you needed the job desperately. Once the give you the first chance, make sure you perform well so they can always call you for job going forward.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 1:38am On Jan 01, 2014
Dkoo: Hello people pleas i need una help. i am a new student in the UK and so far it has been so good except for the problem i came here today with. please my brodas those who came here before me, how do i get a job? what kinda job is more likely for an international student to get? how do i apply for it? i mean if anyone has got a good website for jobs please give me its a plea..

Hope you know you are only allowed 16 hours of work (term time), so you do not contravene your visa conditions? Getting a job presently in the UK, with the economic climate, is like trying to catch a monkey on a tree !!!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 2:39am On Jan 01, 2014
Lexusgs430:

Hope you know you are only allowed 16 hours of work (term time), so you do not contravene your visa conditions? Getting a job presently in the UK, with the economic climate, is like trying to catch a monkey on a tree !!!

20 hours
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dkoo: 10:51am On Jan 01, 2014
Otuabaroku: Hi Dkoo, I think the quickest way to get a job is registering with agency or your school. If you register with agency, keep disturbing them to show that you needed the job desperately. Once the give you the first chance, make sure you perform well so they can always call you for job going forward.
thanks bro but have you got any agency website i can register with??
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mayo47(m): 11:24am On Jan 01, 2014
Dkoo:

Use search engines google agencies in say Manchester (depends on where u at), am sure u get result….

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Otuabaroku: 1:13pm On Jan 01, 2014
Dkoo:

You are welcome. Like other poster said, the agency depends on your location. So Google would help.

Alternatively, you can make use of your student union help. Another valuable source of info is your fellow students who have been there for a while.

Best of the luck in your job hunt.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 6:11pm On Jan 01, 2014
Dkoo:

http://www.reed.co.uk/

http://www.pmprecruitment.co.uk/

http://www.jobsite.co.uk/search-post-jobs-new.html?gclid=CIuc54283bsCFQn3wgodtSsAxA

These are few popular ones with offices in many cities in the UK
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 8:14pm On Jan 01, 2014
Lexusgs430:

I object that. Jobs are found by those who seriously look for it. It just takes preparation for interviews, both phone and face-to-face. Supermarkets hire often and care jobs. FYI, its 20 hrs
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by BarrisNixon: 9:17pm On Jan 01, 2014
I studied in Coventry, stayed and worked in London, Nottinghan and finally Manchester before returning back to Nigeria finally. I think getting a job is though challenging but you can always get one provided you got your complete papers and you follow the law in terms of working with a student visa. Though you cant expect much pay, at least you could pay your bills and feed yourself. As an international student you always need the support of your sponsor sha cus ur body go tell u lol... Well i do use this site to get jobs: www.gumtree.co.uk. I did more of sales and marketing jobs cus they are easy to come by. If you have a driving license, I wud advice u do part time car sales like i did. You buy cars via www.autotrader.co.uk and shade it for sale in your area or ebay. Its good business and all you need is a sence of selecting good and cheap cars and have a sat nav to pick cars outside ur area. UK is a fun place actually if u knw ur way. Biko no give ur account to person 4 bank transfer oooo

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:20am On Jan 02, 2014
BarrisNixon: I studied in Coventry, stayed and worked in London, Nottinghan and finally Manchester before returning back to Nigeria finally. I think getting a job is though challenging but you can always get one provided you got your complete papers and you follow the law in terms of working with a student visa. Though you cant expect much pay, at least you could pay your bills and feed yourself. As an international student you always need the support of your sponsor sha cus ur body go tell u lol... Well i do use this site to get jobs: www.gumtree.co.uk. I did more of sales and marketing jobs cus they are easy to come by. If you have a driving license, I wud advice u do part time car sales like i did. You buy cars via www.autotrader.co.uk and shade it for sale in your area or ebay. Its good business and all you need is a sence of selecting good and cheap cars and have a sat nav to pick cars outside ur area. UK is a fun place actually if u knw ur way. Biko no give ur account to person 4 bank transfer oooo

I think that is a wrong advise, car sale whether on part time or full time will get you deported if caught, foreign students are not allowed to get into any sort of business. You are lucky you got away with it.

Gumtree is not a place to look for job, hot bed of scammers.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by BarrisNixon: 6:02am On Jan 03, 2014
@justwise
I guess alot has changed now cus I left the UK in 2010. Gumtree helped me alot... As for the car sale yeah I know it wasnt allowed but I used the word part time based on its just to buy a car, advertise it and when u get a buyer, sell it off. One doesnt need to go and register it as a business oooo.... Me and my home boy where doing it in Coventry and today he owns midlands auto lounge in Coventry.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:24am On Jan 03, 2014
BarrisNixon: @justwise
I guess alot has changed now cus I left the UK in 2010. Gumtree helped me alot... As for the car sale yeah I know it wasnt allowed but I used the word part time based on its just to buy a car, advertise it and when u get a buyer, sell it off. One doesnt need to go and register it as a business oooo.... Me and my home boy where doing it in Coventry and today he owns midlands auto lounge in Coventry.
nothing much have changed in that regard, buying and selling is a business registered or not, it will get you deported for sure if get caught.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by royalsweetness(f): 9:34am On Jan 03, 2014
ochukoccna:

Was a regular there some time back till one
intending applicant vilely objected to my pointing the extent of her foolishness in some of her actions and inactions

tongue tongue tongue tongue. After you vilely advised her and she used your vile words back at you. It's still paining him sha. tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 2:35am On Jan 04, 2014
royalsweetness:

tongue tongue tongue tongue. After you vilely advised her and she used your vile words back at you. It's still paining him sha. tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue.
Stop stalking me angry angry
If telling you the truth that giving a complete stranger over a million naira to help you pay your tuition initial deposit was outright dumb , then I wonder how you reason undecided undecided
Just keep your inane ideas about life to yourself and live however you want kiss kiss
That is the problem with Africa, the justification of stupidity in the face of superior logic cry cry
This is why we currently have people from the Niger Delta and South East of Nigeria advocating another tenure for the current president who clearly lacks the capacity to govern, intellect to reason and ability to lead effectively sad sad
Like I said before, stop stalking me
You'll need all the time to excel over in Aberdeen provided you make good use of it wink wink
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by royalsweetness(f): 2:54am On Jan 04, 2014
ochukoccna:
Stop stalking me angry angry
If telling you the truth that giving a complete stranger over a million naira to help you pay your tuition initial deposit was outright dumb , then I wonder how you reason undecided undecided
Just keep your inane ideas about life to yourself and live however you want kiss kiss
Yet like I said before, stop stalking me
Thank you. cool cool
I'm not stalking you, it's a UK thread tongue, I mentioned someone offered to make the payment and I'd pay him back after I got my cas. I never called him a complete stranger, neither did I even consider letting him pay. If I did, I won't come on nairaland later asking for the best method to pay. That's just common sense. You decided to understand something different from what I wrote because your mouth was itching you to insult tongue tongue tongue and when you get insulted back, you cry like a big baby.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by royalsweetness(f): 3:12am On Jan 04, 2014
ochukoccna:
That is the problem with Africa, the justification of stupidity in the face of superior logic cry cry
This is why we currently have people from the Niger Delta and South East of Nigeria advocating another tenure for the current president who clearly lacks the capacity to govern, intellect to reason and ability to lead effectively sad sad
Like I said before, stop stalking me
You'll need all the time to excel over in Aberdeen provided you make good use of it wink wink

Hehe, now it's the 'problem with Africa' thing as if you are Asian. Spare me the crap biko. Well, I'm not in Aberdeen yet, so you are the one who needs all the time in whatever school you are in. And while at it, don't forget to learn some manners before coming back to Nigeria. If I was meeting you for the first time in real life and asking you a question about anything at all, you won't call me foolish to my face and expect me to say thank you sir, except ofcourse you are a mad person. So don't do it because you are in a faceless forum. Especially when there are tons of other people giving well-mannered replies.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by keji11: 11:19am On Jan 04, 2014
pls at POE/airport are u allowed to bring in your laptop or not
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:23am On Jan 04, 2014
keji11: pls at POE/airport are u allowed to bring in your laptop or not

You are allowed.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by keji11: 5:56pm On Jan 04, 2014
justwise:

You are allowed.
Thanks,but will it be weighed (30kg stipulated for baggage)
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 5:59pm On Jan 04, 2014
keji11:
Thanks,but will it be weighed (30kg stipulated for flight requirement)

If you put it in your check-in luggage then it will be weighed but if you put it in your hand luggage it will not be weighted
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by xteeeee(m): 9:08pm On Jan 04, 2014
Wahala wahala wahala all over both thread... Na wah oo.... Pls we are her to help each other not to start fighting... Let's learn to overlook some comment, jus pick what is important, me no like fight oo
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by keji11: 10:00pm On Jan 04, 2014
justwise:

If you put it in your check-in luggage then it will be weighed but if you put it in your hand luggage it will not be weighted
Thanks I appreciate
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jan 05, 2014
Dkoo: Hello people pleas i need una help. i am a new student in the UK and so far it has been so good except for the problem i came here today with. please my brodas those who came here before me, how do i get a job? what kinda job is more likely for an international student to get? how do i apply for it? i mean if anyone has got a good website for jobs please give me its a plea..

Hello Dkoo ,how far ? have u gotten a job yet? i am in your shoes. i will contact my school tomorrow which is Monday, i am tired of sitting at home doing nothing except watch television and go to the local library. I desperately need job, my brother who i stay with has started to complain.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 7:32pm On Jan 06, 2014
dream013:

Hello Dkoo ,how far ? have u gotten a job yet? i am in your shoes. i will contact my school tomorrow which is Monday, i am tired of sitting at home doing nothing except watch television and go to the local library. I desperately need job, my brother who i stay with has started to complain.

If your school has a career office, I think you can check that. They are always ready to offer help and advices. Another popular type of job for international students is Care job and working with Supermarkets. I work in Sainsbury's local store in Portsmouth. These supermarkets have online exams and telephone interviews, so I reckon you try and build your communication skills.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jan 06, 2014
peteafrik88:
If your school has a career office, I think you can check that. They are always ready to offer help and advices. Another popular type of job for international students is Care job and working with Supermarkets. I work in Sainsbury's local store in Portsmouth. These supermarkets have online exams and telephone interviews, so I reckon you try and build your communication skills.

k, thanks . anyway i am heading to the uni tomorrow.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by SaucyDolph(f): 10:00pm On Jan 06, 2014
Abeg I don't know if this is a stupid question oooo lipsrsealed. Can Someone coming to UK carry freezed cooked soup in a bowl and won't have any problem @ the airport?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 10:02pm On Jan 06, 2014
hmm how dey go? Happy new year oo

Wheres adaobi, you never return from naija abi dem don marry you off grin
come show us those naija pics like you promised!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (213) (Reply)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.