Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,633 members, 7,861,954 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 12:58 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (60) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (817358 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mayo47(m): 12:21am On Jan 07, 2014
[quote author=Saucy Dolph]Abeg I don't know if this is a stupid question oooo lipsrsealed. Can Someone coming to UK carry freezed cooked soup in a bowl and won't have any problem @ the airport?[/quote

Loool…….
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:54am On Jan 07, 2014
Saucy Dolph: Abeg I don't know if this is a stupid question oooo lipsrsealed. Can Someone coming to UK carry freezed cooked soup in a bowl and won't have any problem @ the airport?

grin grin grin

Dis Guy: hmm how dey go? Happy new year oo
Wheres adaobi, you never return from naija abi dem don marry you off grin
come show us those naija pics like you promised!!

Very funny tongue I'm back o.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:25am On Jan 08, 2014
Saucy Dolph: Abeg I don't know if this is a stupid question oooo lipsrsealed. Can Someone coming to UK carry freezed cooked soup in a bowl and won't have any problem @ the airport?

cheesy cheesy, make eba join too self grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by FutureDon(m): 10:14am On Jan 08, 2014

I don't think you would be allowed to carry it. You'll get everything you need to make that soup when you get to UK. You fit employ me as your cook sha smiley, £30/hr
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 735i(m): 9:48pm On Jan 08, 2014
FutureDon:
I don't think you would be allowed to carry it. You'll get everything you need to make that soup when you get to UK. You fit employ me as your cook sha smiley, £30/hr
[quote author=FutureDon]

Na soup she say she wan carry oh...nor be putty. And you want her to pay you how much to prepare putty? grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 10:50pm On Jan 08, 2014
Na so you like your male soup reach?! grin grin grin grin
Bone that thing jo!
Enter market for Manchy and cook better soup my sister
Datz all wink wink
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sailormoon: 1:20am On Jan 09, 2014
lool
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 11:31am On Jan 09, 2014

if you promise to share this delicious soup with all of us we'd advise you appropriately smiley

erm nobody knows, though my mum did it before, how she got through i have no idea!!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olola15(m): 2:05pm On Jun 27, 2014
welcome back peeps> We v been taken back in time. more than 4 months of discusions lost. Mhen...................................
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by tobtap: 4:42pm On Jun 27, 2014
greater london or midlands....please peeps where do u think the best student experience will be for a postgraduate student from naija grin cheesy
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 6:42pm On Jun 27, 2014
singing rkelly's if i could take back the hands of time tongue

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 1:56am On Jun 29, 2014
Hello everyone...Apparently, so many data has been lost and it just all but makes it tiring for some people to want to keep up the spirit of this thread..that said, we just have to go on with this and pray for Seun & his team..

In other news, I'll be studying at Middlesex University come September..Accommodation has been sorted out £5572.00 (choi! If I'm not mistaken, one can use that ego to mould a few blocks here in Naija while building ya ile ooh).. Anyway, just want to know if I have any Naija brethren here studying over there at MDX already.. and also guys, (if you happen to know about the area; NW4 4BT, The Burroughs, Hendon, London) kindly share some info..because my accommodation is literally opposite the uni..(which was the best out of all their available halls)..so except when I'm just taking a time out to other locations, I'll be in one place for a long time..(and did I forget to mention that I ain't the 'going out' type? 'If nothing needs my attention in Ojuelegba, I no dey reach there ooh') :-D
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by FutureDon(m): 7:37pm On Jun 29, 2014
spikes C: singing rkelly's if i could take back the hands of time tongue

Hehe, I couldn't have thought of a better song.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by apolonius(m): 3:03pm On Jun 30, 2014
tobtap: greater london or midlands....please peeps where do u think the best student experience will be for a postgraduate student from naija grin cheesy

That is dependent on what you want to study.The Midlands is great and has highly reputed universities.I am here at the Universities of Leicester,Loughborough,Warwick and other very good schools.

Anywhere around London is expensive,trust me I have studied there.

Anything further I am happy to offer modest insights.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by apolonius(m): 3:12pm On Jun 30, 2014
Emmagency: Hello everyone...Apparently, so many data has been lost and it just all but makes it tiring for some people to want to keep up the spirit of this thread..that said, we just have to go on with this and pray for Seun & his team..

In other news, I'll be studying at Middlesex University come September..Accommodation has been sorted out £5572.00 (choi! If I'm not mistaken, one can use that ego to mould a few blocks here in Naija while building ya ile ooh).. Anyway, just want to know if I have any Naija brethren here studying over there at MDX already.. and also guys, (if you happen to know about the area; NW4 4BT, The Burroughs, Hendon, London) kindly share some info..because my accommodation is literally opposite the uni..(which was the best out of all their available halls)..so except when I'm just taking a time out to other locations, I'll be in one place for a long time..(and did I forget to mention that I ain't the 'going out' type? 'If nothing needs my attention in Ojuelegba, I no dey reach there ooh') :-D

I studied in Middlesex university for 3 years and lived in Platt Halls.Your booked accommodation must be Usher hall.Yes,MDX always has an impressive Nigerian population.I know the terrain well enough,so I am happy to help with any further information.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 4:43pm On Jun 30, 2014
apolonius:

I studied in Middlesex university for 3 years and lived in Platt Halls.Your booked accommodation must be Usher hall.Yes,MDX always has an impressive Nigerian population.I know the terrain well enough,so I am happy to help with any further information.

My days studying Business Law @ mdx, was made starve-free by that little Chinese restaurant opposite the pelican crossing!!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 4:45pm On Jun 30, 2014
Emmagency: Hello everyone...Apparently, so many data has been lost and it just all but makes it tiring for some people to want to keep up the spirit of this thread..that said, we just have to go on with this and pray for Seun & his team..

MDX has a healthy Nigerian student community, you will not be alone. Network well and study well.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by presiade(m): 4:49pm On Jun 30, 2014
Conservatively, how much should sustain an individual for a one year MSc in the city of Leeds? Forget the 7200GBP budget o.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 5:10pm On Jun 30, 2014
apolonius:

Hello there.. Was almost thinking I'd never get a reply.. What did you study? How's the area like in terms of food & transport expenses, part-time job availability and the kinds (should I choose to engage in it), what are the conditions about the halls that you sometime had problems with (yea Usher Hall <en suite>wink and most importantly, the academic pattern deployed because I'll be studying computer networks... what to expect on resumption concerning school work and nature of the lectures..

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by apolonius(m): 5:18pm On Jun 30, 2014
Lexusgs430:

My days studying Business Law @ mdx, was made starve-free by that little Chinese restaurant opposite the pelican crossing!!!!

Now I know those who were eyeing that short cute fellow. And don't tell me you ever tried out the massage parlour next to that eathouse!

How are you?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by apolonius(m): 5:27pm On Jun 30, 2014
Emmagency:

Hello there.. Was almost thinking I'd never get a reply.. What did you study? How's the area like in terms of food & transport expenses, part-time job availability and the kinds (should I choose to engage in it), what are the conditions about the halls that you sometime had problems with (yea Usher Hall <en suite>wink and most importantly, the academic pattern deployed because I'll be studying computer networks... what to expect on resumption concerning school work and nature of the lectures..

Thanks

Generally,the academic culture there is one that you will enjoy and excel in. The halls are generally good.Your hall is a very short walk to the Hendon station area-there is an African shop and restaurant almost opposite the tube station.Of course,a short bus ride to Burn Oak or even a tube ride to Burnt Oak which is the next community to Hendon and Colindale will give you access to tens of African shops and a number of very cheap African restaurants.

On the sisters,you will meet very many begining from the Halls. Just be open and reach out confidently-the normal girlie forming that makes them who we cherish dey sha. Then,your hall is 2-3 minutes walk to over 6 pubs that run mild clubs at weekends.

You will enjoy it. I studied law there. A number of friends from Naija studied computer blabla there;if you ever run into problems just holla me to connect you with them.About 10 of them including a cousin studied something around your course.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 6:03pm On Jun 30, 2014
apolonius:

Now I know those who were eyeing that short cute fellow. And don't tell me you ever tried out the massage parlour next to that eathouse!

How are you?

I dey my brother. Do I sense a confession coming from you?
NB: My lips are sealed
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 6:15pm On Jun 30, 2014
Emmagency:

Thanks

Transport links is as good as it's ever going to be. A couple of buses runs directly from the front of your accommodation, Hendon central, burnt oak, collidale, Golders Green etc etc are British rail and underground links.
Loads of shops to look after your hungry stomach. Jobwise - networking with students, usually points you in the right direction (do not exceed your working restrictions allowable on your visa).
Regarding lectures, attend all seminars and lectures irrespective of how irrelevant you feel they seem.
Most importantly, network with same module colleagues and study well.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 7:46pm On Jun 30, 2014
@Lexusg & Aplonious... You guys rock! Can't tell you how happy I am for your warm and exciting replies.. Aplonious, although I didn't ask about the sisters cheesy thanks for the heads up...(e follow for the matter cheesy) hope say you no break their hearts tire sha? #lol

A graph showed that Nigerian students are more in the School of Computer Science that students from any other foreign nation at MDX..so please connect me ooh.. I'd like to discus with these guys first hand.. (Or will I be too stingy if I aim for Summa Cum Laude?) so I'll need all the info I can get...

Let's come down to figures, an average meal at an African shop let's say eba & soup amounts to how much exactly? and also like how much did you guys spend every week on feeding and transportation?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 8:31pm On Jun 30, 2014
Emmagency: @Lexusg & Aplonious... You guys rock! Can't tell you how happy I am for your warm and exciting replies.. Aplonious, although I didn't ask about the sisters cheesy thanks for the heads up...(e follow for the matter cheesy) hope say you no break their hearts tire sha? #lol

A graph showed that Nigerian students are more in the School of Computer Science that students from any other foreign nation at MDX..so please connect me ooh.. I'd like to discus with these guys first hand.. (Or will I be too stingy if I aim for Summa Cum Laude?) so I'll need all the info I can get...

Let's come down to figures, an average meal at an African shop let's say eba & soup amounts to how much exactly? and also like how much did you guys spend every week on feeding and transportation?

Cheaper to buy stuffs and cook yourself. But a plate of Eba, meat(s) + water, should be within the region of £7-£10 a plate.
Regarding transportation, check out transport for london website. Students discount cards are also available, for relative discounts
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by apolonius(m): 8:37pm On Jun 30, 2014
Cost of those is relative,really.Talking about food,in the closest Naija restaurant to you it is anything around 15 pounds on the average;in Lekki small restaurant it is 5 pounds. By the way,there is a Chinese restaurant about a minute walk from your hall and the school;5 pounds can buy you a good rice meal.

On transportation,it also varies and is dependent on where you want to go to.If you are asking about your school area and the next community like Colindale,it is all walkable within 7-15 minutes on the average.From experience,living around Hendon and Colindale is enough for all you need and most of what you want. A bus ride to Colindale-bus 204 should cost you less than 4 pounds to and from.

Of course,you will need to get an oyster;it discounts journeys for you.

Any other specific question,I am happy to attempt an answer.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 9:37pm On Jun 30, 2014
You guys are great...and thanks for the help so far.. I guess one will just only have to find out first hand the rest of the things that comes with studying in the UK.. one last question, @Lexusg & Aplonious...on a scale of 1-10, how'd you rate the school itself (academics, teaching, workshops, facilities, practicals, students support, etc) during your time there..?? Also, another thing I've been thinking is the accent of the lecturers..did you guys have any major problem with any of them? What's the lowest weather temperature you ever witnessed? And just to be clear, MDX is in outer London right??
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kunbizzle: 9:47pm On Jun 30, 2014
Emmagency: You guys are great...and thanks for the help so far.. I guess one will just only have to find out first hand the rest of the things that comes with studying in the UK.. one last question, @Lexusg & Aplonious...on a scale of 1-10, how'd you rate the school itself (academics, teaching, workshops, facilities, practicals, students support, etc) during your time there..?? Also, another thing I've been thinking is the accent of the lecturers..did you guys have any major problem with any of them? What's the lowest weather temperature you ever witnessed?
You would love mdx,went there,loved every bit of it
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 10:10pm On Jun 30, 2014
kunbizzle:
You would love mdx,went there,loved every bit of it

Wow! Nice to hear that.. Thanks for the reply..
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ShegsA(m): 10:36pm On Jun 30, 2014
Please I need info on the University of Portsmouth. How's the school? Anyone attended it? If yes, how was your experience? What are the tips (living cost and all) that a Naija student needs to know about Portsmouth?
P.S: I got an offer for MSc Information Systems and I need tips cos I'm aiming for Summa cum laude cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 12:34am On Jul 01, 2014
Emmagency: You guys are great...and thanks for the help so far.. I guess one will just only have to find out first hand the rest of the things that comes with studying in the UK.. one last question, @Lexusg & Aplonious...on a scale of 1-10, how'd you rate the school itself (academics, teaching, workshops, facilities, practicals, students support, etc) during your time there..?? Also, another thing I've been thinking is the accent of the lecturers..did you guys have any major problem with any of them? What's the lowest weather temperature you ever witnessed? And just to be clear, MDX is in outer London right??

Would rate MDX 7/10, I got what I intended to get from the university. You will adapt to the accent, don't worry about that. If you run into any difficulties academically, speak out ASAP.
Middlesex is in London. It's about 30 minutes drive to Oxford Street(traffic permitting).
Have seen all weather extremes, snow, heat etc etc Just buy clothes to suit the weather, as it changes(ever heard people been insulted with the British weather), thats how it changes.
Spend loads of time in the library and read well well. £5k tuition no be joke.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 12:58am On Jul 01, 2014
Lexusgs430:

Would rate MDX 7/10, I got what I intended to get from the university. You will adapt to the accent, don't worry about that. If you run into any difficulties academically, speak out ASAP.
Middlesex is in London. It's about 30 minutes drive to Oxford Street(traffic permitting).
Have seen all weather extremes, snow, heat etc etc Just buy clothes to suit the weather, as it changes(ever heard people been insulted with the British weather), thats how it changes.
Spend loads of time in the library and read well well. £5k tuition no be joke.

Haha..I don learn new one..(you're just like the British weather)..read somewhere that sometimes all the British climates can occur in a single day.. anyway, I cant thank you enough for the heads up...God Bless.. and bros did I hear you say £5k? my tuition is £10700k oooh.. it's an UG program..

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (213) (Reply)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.