Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (66) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (811806 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 11:53am On Jul 14, 2014
kunbizzle:
You would be able to transfer to your uk account,you fill be sent a funds transfer form,fill it,then scan it,and your money would be deposited in your uk account,I did it during when I was doing my masters in uk

wow, never knew that
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jul 14, 2014
please how good is university of nottingham? where is the location and whats the avr amount for accommodation around the university
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 12:27pm On Jul 14, 2014
spikesC:

Even if it was full, you still cant withdraw from a pounds dom account in uk

It's a non export account

Depends on the bank. If the poster banks with Standard Chartered bank for example, has a foreign account ie. Sterling, Euro or Dollar account in their naija branch, OP can withdraw with the bank card at various cashpoints
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 12:49pm On Jul 14, 2014
zerray: please how good is university of nottingham? where is the location and whats the avr amount for accommodation around the university
YOU
Can find all of this by searching on Google!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Footlocker(m): 9:29pm On Jul 14, 2014
Messilistic: hello all.

can someone please advise me on the cheapest way to transfer funds fro Nigeria to the Uk? about 3000 pounds or more.
your suggestions will b highly apreciated.
Open a FBN account in Nigeria you can access it in their London branch!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 10:01pm On Jul 14, 2014
Footlocker: Open a FBN account in Nigeria you can access it in their London branch!

Bank employees should be educated about all these things

When i opened my account with them, they told me i can only withdraw with my cheque book and in person sad

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by apolonius(m): 10:45pm On Jul 15, 2014
zerray: please how good is university of nottingham? where is the location and whats the avr amount for accommodation around the university

It is a very good university and highly ranked too. Nottingham should be quite cheap accommodation-wise. I live in Leicester,so I can't say exactly.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 1:19am On Jul 17, 2014
worry359:
YOU
Can find all of this by searching on Google!

You are so on point worry
It baffles me when Nigerian intending students [those going for MSc programs especially] ask questions that leave you exclaiming 'Oh my God' embarassed embarassed
While many might not have stepped out of Nigeria before going for their studies thus one can understand their anxiety,
Living in the West , apart from the loneliness, is quite easy shocked
Recall, the West is very organized and as long as you have money to foot your bills, very welcoming too undecided
Do your research well in Nigeria even before you arrive and start shining grin grin from the airport

Tip: The Net is very effective in gathering a trove of whatever information one needs right from Nigeria and even as you disembark in Heathrow or whatever airport you arrive at
So come with a very good phone or cellular capable tablet, buy a data enabled SIM when you arrive at the airport especially when you don't know anyone here
kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by KVN1(m): 8:09pm On Jul 17, 2014
I'm an undergraduate medical student in a Nigerian university,and I'm thinking of moving over to the uk to continue my studies...please which uk universities do accept undergrad med students?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jcaribie: 8:53am On Jul 18, 2014
KVN1: I'm an undergraduate medical student in a Nigerian university,and I'm thinking of moving over to the uk to continue my studies...please which uk universities do accept undergrad med students?
Thing is, you'll have to do a premed degree, write the UKCAT, then apply to do medicine.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:20am On Jul 22, 2014
my international passport will soon expire and i am in the uk, how do i get a renewal done? The website of the nigerian embassy in london does not state exclusively how this process is done.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by xkobans: 7:39pm On Jul 25, 2014
Please how would you all rate University of Surrey. Is it by any means in the league of highly recognised Universities. And yes! I know they are rated 6th in the guardian league tables.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:45pm On Jul 25, 2014
dream013: my international passport will soon expire and i am in the uk, how do i get a renewal done? The website of the nigerian embassy in london does not state exclusively how this process is done.

That website has all the info you need, i used it to renew mine.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:46pm On Jul 25, 2014
xkobans: Please how would you all rate University of Surrey. Is it by any means in the league of highly recognised Universities. And yes! I know they are rated 6th in the guardian league tables.

Its a highly recognized uni and one of the best in the UK.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by xkobans: 7:48pm On Jul 25, 2014
justwise:
Its highly recognized uni and one of the best in the UK.

Thanks. Do you have any information about life and accommodation there. From my cursory research, accommodation is a bit on the high side.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:55pm On Jul 25, 2014
xkobans:

Thanks. Do you have any information about life and accommodation there. From my cursory research, accommodation is a bit on the high side.

No i don't but you can try your luck with this website http://www.surreystudentpad.co.uk/Accommodation, Surrey is an expensive city for sure but you can still find something affordable. Accommodations closer to the uni will be too expensive.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by coogar: 8:10pm On Jul 25, 2014

it's a good school - one of the chosen few.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Cavenchy(m): 11:02pm On Jul 27, 2014
Hey been a while, glad to see the thread's still active. Justwise remind me to nominate you for travel section Nairaland awards if/whenever they decide to have one. Can see a lot of positive people helping out with advice. Thought i'd chip in a few.

zerray: pls i need names of good schools for msc in uk, an inexpensive city especially in the area of accommodation
For those who're still trying to find schools in the uk and need to get an idea of what the students from there think of their unis, visit whatuni.com, you get individual rating polls from lecture quality/course ratings to eye candy, its also cool for accomodation advice too, especially when it comes to areas that boost student experience and creepy landlords to avoid.

Ps: u might not get a professional list of best schools or jobs after grad there, but for social life and school comparison from actual student ratings, it would really help u be on track.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:50pm On Jul 27, 2014
Cavenchy: Hey been a while, glad to see the thread's still active. Justwise remind me to nominate you for travel section Nairaland awards if/whenever they decide to have one. Can see a lot of positive people helping out with advice. Thought i'd chip in a few.

For those who're still trying to find schools in the uk and need to get an idea of what the students from there think of their unis, visit whatuni.com, you get individual rating polls from lecture quality/course ratings to eye candy, its also cool for accomodation advice too, especially when it comes to areas that boost student experience and creepy landlords to avoid.

Ps: u might not get a professional list of best schools or jobs after grad there, but for social life and school comparison from actual student ratings, it would really help u be on track.

You found your nl psw today? lol, its almost a year since you left, how are you getting on?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Cavenchy(m): 12:17am On Jul 28, 2014
justwise:

You found your nl psw today? lol, its almost a year since you left, how are you getting on?

I guess nl decided to get me a psw pass, if i'm lucky could get a nl ilr too.lol. Did some posting on other threads before the nl meltdown wiped them off. So i have been on for a bit, though i must confess not too frequent. Finished with d course i was doing already, so a bit of travelling here n there kept me off par. Its a nice thing u're doing here, I'm sure alot of pple r encouraged by it.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:48am On Jul 28, 2014
Cavenchy:

I guess nl decided to get me a psw pass, if i'm lucky could get a nl ilr too.lol. Did some posting on other threads before the nl meltdown wiped them off. So i have been on for a bit, though i must confess not too frequent. Finished with d course i was doing already, so a bit of travelling here n there kept me off par. Its a nice thing u're doing here, I'm sure alot of pple r encouraged by it.

Oh ok! good to see you here again.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Cavenchy(m): 10:56am On Jul 28, 2014
justwise:

Oh ok! good to see you here again.

Thanks, likewise.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dannyuz: 1:14pm On Jul 28, 2014
plz guys, is there any university offering a foundation in Computer Science in January 2015 ?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 1:27pm On Jul 28, 2014
dannyuz: plz guys, is there any university offering a foundation in Computer Science in January 2015 ?

There should be so many. Just search for universities with January intake.
Why going for foundation? what certifications do you have?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ocheejemb: 9:17pm On Jul 28, 2014
shakibaby: HOUSE!!! anyone in university of dundee

I'm near Dundee. St Andrews.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Utonne: 8:31pm On Jul 29, 2014
Hello! Anyone in Uni of Leeds or heading to Uni of Leeds

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:05am On Jul 30, 2014
justwise: [/b]

That website has all the info you need, i used it to renew mine.

Can u kindly give me the guideline has i have tried to but can't make sense out of the website.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:16am On Jul 30, 2014
dream013:

Can u kindly give me the guideline has i have tried to but can't make sense out of the website.

There are many threads here to use https://www.nairaland.com/1014984/renewing-nigerian-e-passport-london

https://www.nairaland.com/406922/renewing-nigerian-passport-uk
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Eaugusta(f): 6:00pm On Jul 31, 2014
Hi everyone, it's a good thing I find myself here today, I really love this thread and sincerely appreciate everyone's comment as it goes a long way to answer some questions that has been running through my mind. pls scholarship details on PGD "post graduate degree" for HND holders will be of great help here also.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by prettyynx(m): 10:59am On Aug 03, 2014
Eaugusta: Hi everyone, it's a good thing I find myself here today, I really love this thread and sincerely appreciate everyone's comment as it goes a long way to answer some questions that has been running through my mind. pls scholarship details on PGD "post graduate degree" for HND holders will be of great help here also.

why not do a professional course in your study in nigeria and then apply for your masters directly in the uk! thats what i did with my hnd
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dannyuz: 4:15pm On Aug 04, 2014
spikesC:

There should be so many. Just search for universities with January intake.
Why going for foundation? what certifications do you have?

i have just my SSCE Olevel

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.