Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,662 members, 7,955,394 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:08 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (65) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (828648 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jul 10, 2014

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 9:27pm On Jul 10, 2014
zerray: public administration

Check www.prospects.ac.uk. You'll find a whole bank of info to help you with a good head-start.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jul 10, 2014
3sha4lyf:

Check www.prospects.ac.uk. You'll find a whole bank of info to help you with a good head-start.
tnks

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Utonne: 1:04am On Jul 11, 2014
Thank you.
Right! MSc.
UWE has an awesome blend of courses. Downright core HR modules which was initially pretty attractive. But im rather worried about the ranking of the school. Its kinda low.
Coventry was my last resort which now seems most attractive cos of its recent hike in the rankings but i dont quite fancy the modules.
Bradford. I dont quite fancy the ratings and surroundings. Everyone keeps saying its a great school but i just dont get why it doesnt reflect in the rankings. So im really really confused
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 2:15am On Jul 11, 2014
Utonne: Thank you.
Right! MSc.
UWE has an awesome blend of courses. Downright core HR modules which was initially pretty attractive. But im rather worried about the ranking of the school. Its kinda low.
Coventry was my last resort which now seems most attractive cos of its recent hike in the rankings but i dont quite fancy the modules.
Bradford. I dont quite fancy the ratings and surroundings. Everyone keeps saying its a great school but i just dont get why it doesnt reflect in the rankings. So im really really confused

My honest opinion? Forget those ranking b/s. While they have their own significance, you have to be very sure you are okay with the modules. Doesn't make sense if you go to a highly rated uni, lose interest in the course somewhere along the line cos you don't like the modules and then u find urself struggling just to finish and come out with any grade at all, cos of the huge monies you paid for fees (and trust me, towards the end of the course can make you go nuts with all the essays n dissertation and exams seeking ur undivided attention howbeit you did good time planning)
Be comfortable with the modules and guess what, uni ranking are reviewed yearly based on certain criteria like pass rate, school life etc. All of which are relative.

You can also like up with past and present students on Facebook, Twitter for example, or even their graduate students association (dunno if they have one. Mine did) and ask them what the experience in uni and the county feels like.

Leave no stones unturned in your survey about ur choice of study becos those fees are enormous and deserve value for their spending.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Utonne: 2:42am On Jul 11, 2014
Thanks a bunch! Awesome is your middle name.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 5:13am On Jul 11, 2014
Utonne: Hey people. Please i need ur help. I need to make a choice on offers from UWE, Bradford & Coventry. Im going in for HRM. All CIPD accredited. But I'm more concerned about the rankings of the school.
My heart was set on Aston but unfortunately i wasnt given an offer. So im stuck with these and cant seem to make a choice. Will be glad if anyone can chip in opinions. Thanks

I think you should be more concerned about the course modules and most importantly, student reviews

If you had seen me when I was about making my decision for which uni to choose, you'd probably be wondering ''the heck is wrong with this guy?'' multiple tabs on my browsers are on student reviews about the university from multiple websites and I would read almost everything! and anything concerning the school..Google & YouTube searches, terms such as 'Pros & Cons of Middlesex university,' 'Advantages & Disadvantages of Middlesex University,' and so on.. they are way below on the rankings if that's the subject..but they have a large number of 'satisfied' students...that was all I needed coupled with the course content which was better than that of Birmingham City University's from my own perspective..

Good Luck

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 5:21am On Jul 11, 2014
tobtap:
IT WAS NOT STATED IN MY CONDITIONAL OFFER LETTER....

Wow! that is surprising... then you'd have to contact them by mail or phone..

postgraduate@mdx.ac.uk

+44 (0)20 8411 4460

The above information should be in your letter..right under the badge
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by tobtap: 7:53am On Jul 11, 2014
Emmagency:

Wow! that is surprising... then you'd have to contact them by mail or phone..

postgraduate@mdx.ac.uk

+44 (0)20 8411 4460

The above information should be in your letter..right under the badge
Thanks....will call dem asap
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:05am On Jul 11, 2014
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:07am On Jul 11, 2014
Utonne: Thank you.
Right! MSc.
is ranking that important sorry just want to know
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Utonne: 9:32am On Jul 11, 2014
Emmagency:

I think you should be more concerned about the course modules and most importantly, student reviews

If you had seen me when I was about making my decision for which uni to choose, you'd probably be wondering ''the heck is wrong with this guy?'' multiple tabs on my browsers are on student reviews about the university from multiple websites and I would read almost everything! and anything concerning the school..Google & YouTube searches, terms such as 'Pros & Cons of Middlesex university,' 'Advantages & Disadvantages of Middlesex University,' and so on.. they are way below on the rankings if that's the subject..but they have a large number of 'satisfied' students...that was all I needed coupled with the course content which was better than that of Birmingham City University's from my own perspective..

Good Luck

Loool. Im just like that. Multiple tabs and all. My heart was set on Aston and i certainly did not being turned down coming. So now i have to do the arduous task of going thru all these schools' modules. Oh well i havent tried out student satisfaction. Il do just that.

Thanks a bunch[quote][/quote]
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Utonne: 9:55am On Jul 11, 2014
Emmagency:

Good Luck

Loool. Im just like that. Multiple tabs and all. My heart was set on Aston and i certainly did not being turned down coming. So now i have to do the arduous task of going thru all these schools' modules. Oh well i havent tried out student satisfaction. Il do just that.

Thanks a bunch
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Folorunso09: 12:07am On Jul 12, 2014
hello there

Quite new here and I've really found the thread interactive. I have been offered admission to the university of sunderland for a top up degree programme in electronic and electrical engineering. What should I expect?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:58am On Jul 12, 2014
Folorunso09: hello there

Quite new here and I've really found the thread interactive. I have been offered admission to the university of sunderland for a top up degree programme in electronic and electrical engineering. What should I expect?
sorry what do you mean top up degree programme
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 9:59am On Jul 12, 2014

Do some research online to find students review of the course.
Also search for and get on their forums to interact with them and find out their experience. You may get very limited info from here cos very few people may have done the Top-Up courses, which I think is delivered differently from the way the taught and research courses are delivered.

zerray: sorry what do you
mean top up degree programme

Top up degree course could mean a one-yr full-time [conversion] course that you add to your previous qualification or experience to get a full B.sc degree or the equivalent. Some people use it as a pathway course to a new field of career/study.

Alternatively, you can ask Google for a better description if this is too vague.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Chiichii2010: 2:06pm On Jul 12, 2014

Did u say u just got admission at sunderland cos mine was top up nursing but thy withdrew the offer last week not only mine saying thy have problems n thy don't knw wen to rectify it so don't knw wen there nxt intake will be,even bedfordshire but Bedford later wrote us bak that theirs ve been rectify.though don't knw if it's all the courses or its just nursing.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 2:14pm On Jul 12, 2014
Chiichii2010:
Did u say u just got admission at sunderland cos mine was top up nursing but thy withdrew the offer last week not only mine saying thy have problems n thy don't knw wen to rectify it so don't knw wen there nxt intake will be,even bedfordshire but Bedford later wrote us bak that theirs ve been rectify.though don't knw if it's all the courses or its just nursing.

That is news to me because its not on the news yet, i guess they are under investigation and suspended from admitting foreign students.

I know of Bedfordshire university because its on the news, do you mean Braford university or Bedford College?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Chiichii2010: 9:05pm On Jul 12, 2014
justwise:

That is news to me because its not on the news yet, i guess they are under investigation and suspended from admitting foreign students.

I know of Bedfordshire university because its on the news, do you mean Braford university or Bedford College?
I mean bedfordshire uni.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:37pm On Jul 12, 2014
Chiichii2010:
I mean bedfordshire uni.

When did they write back to say it has been rectified?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Ismaxtr3(m): 7:33am On Jul 13, 2014
gud one,like how much does it cost 2 buy a 3 bedroom flat in uk, i'm making some comparisons and calculations
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 9:35am On Jul 13, 2014
Ismaxtr3: gud one,like how much does it cost 2 buy a 3 bedroom flat in uk, i'm making some comparisons and calculations

If you want an answer you must be very much more specific!
There is an enormous difference between central London and small run down towns.
Which part of which town are you looking at?
Then people might answer.

But YOU can find this out by searching on GOOGLE for prices.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Chiichii2010: 10:43am On Jul 13, 2014
justwise:

When did they write back to say it has been rectified?
Last week,even my friend had to call and thy say one can go ahead and pay tuition.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:54am On Jul 13, 2014
Chiichii2010:
Last week,even my friend had to call and thy say one can go ahead and pay tuition.

If i were you i will look for another university, this is the announcement on their website:

See my attachment

Its clearly stated there that their license is paused while the investigation is on going till the end of July

http://www.beds.ac.uk/news/2014/july/update-from-the-university-of-bedfordshire

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Chiichii2010: 11:22am On Jul 13, 2014
justwise:

If i were you i will look for another university, this is the announcement on their website:

See my attachment

Its clearly stated there that their license is paused while the investigation is on going till the end of July

http://www.beds.ac.uk/news/2014/july/update-from-the-university-of-bedfordshire
Kk,tanx for the info
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Ismaxtr3(m): 12:31pm On Jul 13, 2014
worry359:

If you want an answer you must be very much more specific!
There is an enormous difference between central London and small run down towns.
Which part of which town are you looking at?
Then people might answer.

But YOU can find this out by searching on GOOGLE for prices.

leceister london
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 12:34pm On Jul 13, 2014
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Messilistic: 6:25am On Jul 14, 2014
hello all.

can someone please advise me on the cheapest way to transfer funds fro Nigeria to the Uk? about 3000 pounds or more.
your suggestions will b highly apreciated.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 10:01am On Jul 14, 2014
Messilistic: hello all.
can someone please advise me on the cheapest way to transfer funds fro Nigeria to the Uk? about 3000 pounds or more.
your suggestions will b highly apreciated.
I do not know about the cheapest way
But I know about the SAFEST way! cheesy
Get yourself a dom account kiss kiss
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Messilistic: 10:16am On Jul 14, 2014
ochukoccna:
I do not know about the cheapest way
But I know about the SAFEST way! cheesy
Get yourself a dom account kiss kiss
thanks ochukoccna. i have one already. my issue is i left it empty before leaving. (my bad)
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 10:51am On Jul 14, 2014
Messilistic: thanks ochukoccna. i have one already. my issue is i left it empty before leaving. (my bad)

Even if it was full, you still cant withdraw from a pounds dom account in uk

It's a non export account
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kunbizzle: 11:00am On Jul 14, 2014
spikesC:

Even if it was full, you still cant withdraw from a pounds dom account in uk

It's a non export account
You would be able to transfer to your uk account,you fill be sent a funds transfer form,fill it,then scan it,and your money would be deposited in your uk account,I did it during when I was doing my masters in uk

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) ... (213) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.