Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (64) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (812348 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:11am On Jul 07, 2014
bokoslayer:

Which of the schools in Brighton? Brighton or Sussex?

Brighton
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bokoslayer: 10:15am On Jul 07, 2014
adaobi123:

Brighton

You are in for some mad fun but that town can be expensive chei. Uni Sussex used to be my stumping ground smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:17am On Jul 07, 2014
bokoslayer:

You are in for some mad fun but that town can be expensive chei. Uni Sussex used to be my stumping ground smiley

Yeah I heard brighton is on the expensive side especially on the accommodation side. I really liked it though.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bokoslayer: 10:29am On Jul 07, 2014
adaobi123:

Yeah I had brighton is on the expensive side especially on the accommodation side. I really liked it though.

Yes, it is. The good thing is you'd be attending a reputable Uni. On the fun side, you'd live in a town with streets lined with pubs/clubs and a notorious beach filled with '14 years bros' smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:35am On Jul 07, 2014
bokoslayer:

Yes, it is. The good thing is you'd be attending a reputable Uni. On the fun side, you'd live in a town with streets lined with pubs/clubs and a notorious beach filled with '14 years bros' smiley

grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bokoslayer: 10:51am On Jul 07, 2014
adaobi123:

grin grin grin

See ya in Brighton someday smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 11:01am On Jul 07, 2014
adaobi123:

The fact that I'm going to Brighton should help you make up your mind. Lol tongue

What happened to Greenwich ?

lol, i meant you're still indecisive

am still heading to Greenwich cool
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:05am On Jul 07, 2014
spikesC:

lol, i meant you're still indecisive

am still heading to Greenwich cool

Oh I see. tongue

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 11:20am On Jul 07, 2014
adaobi123:

Oh I see. tongue

so, when will you make your final decision sad
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jul 07, 2014
spikesC:

so, when will you make your final decision sad

I made it 4 months ago. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bokoslayer: 12:31pm On Jul 07, 2014
Footlocker: Most of the nigerian peeps coming uk (London,England precisely)! That passed through my house all happened to have loaded parents/relatives! So survival was not an issue for them! If your parents or whoever can afford to pay such astronomical tuition fees in bulk which the british education system love so much clearly you ain't got no worries! The way nigerians sent/send money for their offspring in the diaspora baffled me! So I don't no what this thread is about! Student loans / student grants paid MY fees! Then of course street money gave that luxury you can't get otherwise!

hmmm...what is street money?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Footlocker(m): 12:53pm On Jul 07, 2014
bokoslayer:

hmmm...what is street money?
undecided The kind of money youths acquire that enables you live beyond your means! The kind of money that enables me put 20 crawley girls in cabs to London just to say hello! Listen I've looked through your profile seems you've travelled!So you do no what I mean! I figure your attempting to create a spectacle! Am not here for that so don't quote me unnecessarily !
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bokoslayer: 1:21pm On Jul 07, 2014
Footlocker: undecided The kind of money youths acquire that enables you live beyond your means! The kind of money that enables me put 20 crawley girls in cabs to London just to say hello! Listen I've looked through your profile seems you've travelled!So you do no what I mean! I figure your attempting to create a spectacle! Am not here for that so don't quote me unnecessarily !

I honestly do not know the one you're talking about. Why is your blood always hot?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Footlocker(m): 1:28pm On Jul 07, 2014
bokoslayer:

I honestly do not know the one you're talking about. Why is your blood always hot?
. You said ALWAYS! As if to insinuate you me from somewhere! What's with your 21 questions!Am I your girlfriend!Is this an interview!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bokoslayer: 1:49pm On Jul 07, 2014
Footlocker: . You said ALWAYS! As if to insinuate you me from somewhere! What's with your 21 questions!Am I your girlfriend!Is this an interview!

Yes, always.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 2:32pm On Jul 07, 2014
adaobi123:

I made it 4 months ago. grin

where

Hope it's very very close to london wink
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jul 07, 2014
spikesC:

where

Hope it's very very close to london wink

Where ? I said brighton na.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by uzoexcel(m): 4:06pm On Jul 07, 2014
chillaxxxx man!!!!!!!
Footlocker: undecided The kind of money youths acquire that enables you live beyond your means! The kind of money that enables me put 20 crawley girls in cabs to London just to say hello! Listen I've looked through your profile seems you've travelled!So you do no what I mean! I figure your attempting to create a spectacle! Am not here for that so don't quote me unnecessarily !
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 10:29pm On Jul 07, 2014
adaobi123:

Where ? I said brighton na.

This girl and south angry
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by shakibaby: 11:18pm On Jul 07, 2014
HOUSE!!! anyone in university of dundee
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ShegsA(m): 1:11pm On Jul 09, 2014
justwise:

I have lived in Portsmouth and done a short course in that university.

Portsmouth uni is a good school, going up in ranking now and has good facilities. It has free bus ride for all students, so living far from uni is not a problem because uni bus runs from 7am till 10pm or later.

Cost of living is a bit on the high side but still affordable, rents are not too expensive if you rent outside commercial road( the town center and uni areas).

There are a healthy amount of Nigerian students there and student fellowship center where you will find quite a number of Nigerians.

Portsmouth is just about an hr to 2hrs away from London with good road networks.

Thanks a lot for this info. Really appreciate it.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 1:33pm On Jul 09, 2014
ShegsA:

Thanks a lot for this info. Really appreciate it.

No worries.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by tobtap: 8:24pm On Jul 09, 2014
Emmagency:

MDX bound here... Computer Networks.. have you accepted the offer yet?
dude have u recieved ur CAS from middlesex and how much do we need to pay b4 CAS is released.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 4:15pm On Jul 10, 2014
tobtap:
dude have u recieved ur CAS from middlesex and how much do we need to pay b4 CAS is released.

Yea..I received it in early may... I'm going for a BSc program so the least required fee to pay before you can receive your unconditional offer and then your CAS is £3000.. not sure of the fee for MSc.. but the amount should be stated in your conditional offer...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Utonne: 5:37pm On Jul 10, 2014
Hey people. Please i need ur help. I need to make a choice on offers from UWE, Bradford & Coventry. Im going in for HRM. All CIPD accredited. But I'm more concerned about the rankings of the school.
My heart was set on Aston but unfortunately i wasnt given an offer. So im stuck with these and cant seem to make a choice. Will be glad if anyone can chip in opinions. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 6:43pm On Jul 10, 2014
Utonne: Hey people. Please i need ur help. I need to make a choice on offers from UWE, Bradford & Coventry. Im going in for HRM. All CIPD accredited. But I'm more concerned about the rankings of the school.
My heart was set on Aston but unfortunately i wasnt given an offer. So im stuck with these and cant seem to make a choice. Will be glad if anyone can chip in opinions. Thanks

Firstly, What are u going in for? M.sc or B.sc? I'll speak like you were going in for M.SC
If I was keen about the rankings, I would go to UWE. Heard the rate at which students come out with distinction is relatively high. One arguably thing is that people do not really make good grades in most of the highly rank unis, compared to the ones in "ordinary" Unis. Say for example, you go to Manchester uni will really have to put in more effort to make a distinction, whereas, someone in a uni like Anglia Ruskin or Glamorgan uni may not struggle so much to make a distinction. And that is not to say that Manchy deliberately makes it difficult to excel or that ARU easily makes students pass unnecessarily. People might argue about the content of what both Unis teach but I think at the end of the day, it's about the people who graduate from the uni that makes the final proof of the what a uni gives.

Sometimes, your cv sells when you say "Master degree in XYC with Distinction from Salford university" than when you say "Master degree I XYC from Manchester University". However, some uni names flag quickly regardless of if you put the grades on ur cv or not. Eg "Master degree in XYC from Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, Kings College, Cranfield, Edinbburgh, etc", if you get the picture I'm tryna paint.

So It's up to you. IF yoU are looking for where to pass all easiLy, of course with support from uni, try UWE, Bristol. Coventry is my second choice and then Bradford. Coventry has nice after-class community life so you can blend studies with leisure, if you can manage it. Bradford, I think I'm partial because of the terrain... Feels more like Cambridge ancient environment and if you believe in the "man and his environment" school of thought, like me, I'm not sure I can study well in Bradford, regardless of how good the lecturers deliver.

This is just my opinion, I may have the wrong perception of these things but then, at some point, perception becomes somewhat reality... But I guess it gives you an idea what to look out for when you're making the final choice of uni. One can't help but consider the fees you are willing to pay and for what you are actually chasing after... A paper or a career.

Hope this helps...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by tobtap: 8:18pm On Jul 10, 2014
Emmagency:

Yea..I received it in early may... I'm going for a BSc program so the least required fee to pay before you can receive your unconditional offer and then your CAS is £3000.. not sure of the fee for MSc.. but the amount should be stated in your conditional offer...
IT WAS NOT STATED IN MY CONDITIONAL OFFER LETTER....
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jul 10, 2014
pls i need names of good schools for msc in uk, an inexpensive city especially in the area of accommodation
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jul 10, 2014
zerray: pls i need names of good schools for msc in uk, an inexpensive city especially in the area of accommodation

What are you going to study ?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jul 10, 2014
adaobi123:

What are you going to study ?
public administration
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jul 10, 2014
zerray: public administration

Do you have any ideas of where you want to go ? Any university in mind ?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jul 10, 2014
adaobi123:

Do you have any ideas of where you want to go ? Any university in mind ?
no,im literally a novice so wont suggestions atall.ill just check them online.

(1) (2) (3) ... (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.