Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,845 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:52 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (70) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (811800 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by blessedfavoured: 1:23pm On Aug 15, 2014
Does anyone here know if gtbank mastercard or diamond Visa card work on uk ATMs?
Just want to be sure, someone told me sainsbury's only.
And charges too.
Thank you !
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ocheejemb: 2:01pm On Aug 15, 2014
blessedfavoured: Does anyone here know if gtbank mastercard or diamond Visa card work on uk ATMs?
And charges too.
Thank you !

I've never had any problem with my GT card anywhere, but the rate is the killer!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ocheejemb: 2:02pm On Aug 15, 2014
KingRuckus: I've ran into a bit of a problem in filling out and completing my online application.
Under Academic History -- After inputting the Uni. name: Babcock Uni. Qualifications: B.Sc . So the Result , should that be d CGPA i graduated with or my degree. i.e 3.25 or 2:2
Please help..

Probably your degree. 2:2 or Second Class.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by blessedfavoured: 2:32pm On Aug 15, 2014
ocheejemb:

I've never had any problem with my GT card anywhere, but the rate is the killer!

Wow thanks.
Their exchange rate is usually 6 or 7 naira higher i noticed.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nicur: 9:19pm On Aug 15, 2014
justwise:

Yes only if you are going to stay in the UK longer than 6months.
thank you
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 10:35pm On Aug 15, 2014
ocheejemb:

I thought it was only me that noticed that. Actually thought gtb was being racist to uk cash points. Loooooll. Just kidding. But then, that bank ehhhh.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mayo47(m): 10:50pm On Aug 15, 2014
ocheejemb:

Probably your degree. 2:2 or Second Class.

2.2 isn't a CGPA
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 9:21pm On Aug 17, 2014
blessedfavoured: Does anyone here know if gtbank mastercard or diamond Visa card work on uk ATMs?
And charges too.
Thank you !
3sha4lyf:
I thought it was only me that noticed that. Actually thought gtb was being racist to uk cash points. Loooooll. Just kidding. But then, that bank ehhhh.
All 'em 9ja banks are scammers undecided undecided
I thought Fidelity would give better rates but found GTB (which overcharges) was better embarassed
Also GTB migrates (without your knowledge) your ATM card from a savings to a current account (if you run dual accounts with them) so they can charge you COT angry angry
Phucking crazy banksters! grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 10:22pm On Aug 17, 2014
I'm heading to London (Heathrow) this September... Have done a little search on flight tho...but appears most of them involves either a transit in Dubai or Spain.. (still checking)

Can anyone travelling this period provide the best bet airline they've discovered so far? (to save a brother a lot of time as I don't feel comfortable doing this at work *prying eyes* and I always return late)

And secondly, can someone give me few reasons I should get a 2 way ticket (which of course, return ticket date can be changed when the time is near) as I still don't fully get it..and please don't add 'because it's cheaper' to the list..(I mean, how much difference in terms of naira can be there?)

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 10:29pm On Aug 17, 2014
I wish to travel this week and the cheapest airline i got is Emirates.

A return ticket is good if you intend coming back within 1 year. That is basically it.
If not, just book one-way.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 10:41pm On Aug 17, 2014
spikesC: I wish to travel this week and the cheapest airline i got is Emirates.

A return ticket is good if you intend coming back within 1 year. That is basically it.
If not, just book one-way.

Oga spike, you aren't wasting time at all ooh.. have you picked up your package yet? picking mine up tomorrow.. (only thing holding me back till September is accommodation tho..)

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 10:57pm On Aug 17, 2014
Emmagency:

Oga spike, you aren't wasting time at all ooh.. have you picked up your package yet? picking mine up tomorrow.. (only thing holding me back till September is accommodation tho..)

Waste time gini grin
I picked it before posting on Nairaland.

My next step is to book flight and change Naira to pounds

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sukber: 11:01pm On Aug 17, 2014
Emmagency: I'm heading to London (Heathrow) this September... Have done a little search on flight tho...but appears most of them involves either a transit in Dubai or Spain.. (still checking)

Can anyone travelling this period provide the best bet airline they've discovered so far? (to save a brother a lot of time as I don't feel comfortable doing this at work *prying eyes* and I always return late)

And secondly, can someone give me few reasons I should get a 2 way ticket (which of course, return ticket date can be changed when the time is near) as I still don't fully get it..and please don't add 'because it's cheaper' to the list..(I mean, how much difference in terms of naira can be there?)

Thanks
Oga Emmagency, abeg start to dey find flight nw oo. Arik air (direct flight) if u book 2nyt and departure is arud mid-september, it is way way cheaper, no hassle.
I am goin wit Emirate dis wednesday but via dubai 1st before connecting to heathrow, d only cheap (One way) flight I got, I no mind d long hours sha.
Advice 4 u, book now!!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 11:08pm On Aug 17, 2014
sukber:
Oga Emmagency, abeg start to dey find flight nw oo. Arik air (direct flight) if u book 2nyt and departure is arud mid-september, it is way way cheaper, no hassle.
I am goin wit Emirate dis wednesday but via dubai 1st before connecting to heathrow, d only cheap (One way) flight I got, I no mind d long hours sha.
Advice 4 u, book now!!

Hehehe.. thanks bros.. I see you've finally picked yours up..
I'll have to go transfer the required funds into my GT acct tomorrow (which is my only internet-facing account)..

Actually had Arik in mind as at last week ooh.. but heard and have read a lot of negative reports on their service and in-flight resources...as a first time traveller, I need that unforgettable experience to be a good one..
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 11:10pm On Aug 17, 2014
spikesC:

Waste time gini grin

#lol sharp guy... you just had to be 101% sure your visa was there and documents are okay.. Thank God I didn't apply at VI ooh...as a new agency, one would expect them to be faster but turns out total reverse is the case
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sukber: 11:13pm On Aug 17, 2014
Emmagency:

Hehehe.. thanks bros.. I see you've finally picked yours up..
I'll have to go transfer the required funds into my GT acct tomorrow (which is my only internet-facing account)..

Actually had Arik in mind as at last week ooh.. but heard and have read a lot of negative reports on their service and in-flight resources...as a first time traveller, I need that unforgettable experience to be a good one..
Hhahahaha yes ooo!! I had started looking 4 a cheap flight since d day I got d VISA ISSUED email. D Emirate I got na one way, cos am nt coming bck till afta I'm done with my program.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 11:15pm On Aug 17, 2014
Emmagency: I'm heading to London (Heathrow) this September... Have done a little search on flight tho...but appears most of them involves either a transit in Dubai or Spain.. (still checking)

Thanks

If you get arik one way, you'll never board that flight until you show a return ticket out of uk.
Also, but seldomly asked, you may be required to show proof of return ticket at point of entry in the uk. Can't stress enough that this is seldomly asked to students studying for more than 6 months.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sukber: 11:18pm On Aug 17, 2014
spikesC:

Waste time gini grin

Baba SpikeC and Justwise, I hope there is no pblm with travellin with a one way ticket ooo? Cos m seein d issh abt return nd one way ticket on this thread.
This is not my 1st tym travelling 2 d UK, does dat affect me 2?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 11:21pm On Aug 17, 2014
3sha4lyf:

If you get arik one way, you'll never board that flight until you show a return ticket out of uk.
Also, but seldomly asked, you may be required to show proof of return ticket at point of entry in the uk. Can't stress enough that this is seldomly asked to students studying for more than 6 months.

Yeepa! and what happens if it happens that someone gets asked for it and you cannot provide it?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 11:33pm On Aug 17, 2014
@ emmagency, cheapest one way tickets is usually Emirates but has long stopovers of about 7-8 hours embarassed embarassed (Qatar Airways too dey cheap but longer stopover) sad
Air Maroc seems cheap too but I've never flown with them
Personally I would recommend KLM which have shorter transit time and they also fly into Europe unlike the middle Eastern carriers but their ticket make sense when you buy a return which you seem averse to undecided
Most good carriers have pricey one tickets to which adding $100-200 when purchasing would get you a return ticket cool
Personally I prefer buying return tickets as they can be extended to a new travel date for (a little fee) if the prior indicated return date doesn't fit your schedule
Also it helps a lot if you are short on cash when you want to return
Do what seems best to you because, na your money after all tongue

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 11:38pm On Aug 17, 2014
Emmagency:

#lol sharp guy... you just had to be 101% sure your visa was there and documents are okay.. Thank God I didn't apply at VI ooh...as a new agency, one would expect them to be faster but turns out total reverse is the case

Am telling you, dey just messed up real bad

sukber:
Baba SpikeC and Justwise, I hope there is no pblm with travellin with a one way ticket ooo? Cos m seein d issh abt return nd one way ticket on this thread.

If your course lasts for more than 12months, then you don't have any problem
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 11:42pm On Aug 17, 2014
Emmagency:
Yeepa! and what happens if it happens that someone gets asked for it and you cannot provide it?
sukber:
Students on programmes that last beyond 6 months are rarely asked about evidence of a return ticket
I was in 9ja about 3 months back and wasn't asked at the point of entry to show such during my return though I had travelled back into the UK using an Emirates one way ticket because I was short on cash then as I didn't book on time and had crazy ticket prices been thrown at me a week to departure undecided undecided
Tickets of 200 and 210 was now 260k! angry angry
In hindsight, if I had booked on time, na KLM (or Air France) O! grin grin
A tip I leave, BOOK EARLY ENOUGH
BOOK AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 11:49pm On Aug 17, 2014
ochukoccna:
Students on programmes that last beyond 6 months are rarely asked about evidence of a return ticket
I was in 9ja about 3 months back and wasn't asked at the point of entry to show such during my return though I had travelled back into the UK using an Emirates one way ticket because I was short on cash then as I didn't book on time and had crazy ticket prices been thrown at me a week to departure undecided undecided
Tickets of 200 and 210 was now 260k! angry angry
In hindsight, if I had booked on time, na KLM (or Air France) O! grin grin
A tip I leave, BOOK EARLY ENOUGH
BOOK AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

Ok, am seeing things here. I think i would book a one way now as i am booking very late.
Then book a return for December vacation on time when am in the uk
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 12:04am On Aug 18, 2014
^^^^^^
Emirates would be your best bet for the cheapest one way tickets wink
But you go wait tire for Dubai grin grin
BTW, Wakanow is a good site to compare tickets across different carriers
However use stealth mode [private window browsing when on the site]
I learnt all those flight and vacation sites use the cookies left on your system (if you use regular normal browsing) to track returning site users and give you even higher ticket price quotations undecided undecided

@ thread, BTW, anyone with RECENT and CURRENT pounds to naira rate i.e. if you are buying?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 12:12am On Aug 18, 2014
ochukoccna: ^^^^^^
Emirates would be your best bet for the cheapest one way tickets wink
But you go wait tire for Dubai grin grin
BTW, Wakanow is a good site to compare tickets across different carriers
However use stealth mode [private window browsing when on the site]
I learnt all those flight and vacation sites use the cookies left on your system (if you use regular normal browsing) to track returning site users and give you even higher ticket price quotations undecided undecided

@ thread, BTW, anyone with RECENT and CURRENT pounds to naira rate i.e. if you are buying?

I just checked, seems worst sad
One way is around $1,100 while return is around $1,600

I just gotta book return grin

Stealth mode has been on since last 3 days cheesy cheesy wink

Blackmarket or bank?

I called first bank this night and they said i should call back during the day time that it can't be accessed now.

Am not sure of blackmarket
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 12:23am On Aug 18, 2014
Black market of course!
Forget that bank thing jo!
Seeing banks direct you to their in-house black market Aboki angry angry sad sad when you need BTA!
When I was travelling I was like WTF when GTB Opebi pointed me to an Aboki yet here I was,student who had legit travelling documents dreaming of CBN rates
I roused myself to reality and sought out the black market dudes in my hood
BTW, I'm thinking of using my Nigerian bank card here this week and want to have an idea of what the black market rate is like
This is to help me calculate how much Nigerian banksters creamed off me when I do my transactions angry angry
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 1:20am On Aug 18, 2014
ochukoccna: Black market of course!
Forget that bank thing jo!
Seeing banks direct you to their in-house black market Aboki angry angry sad sad when you need BTA!
When I was travelling I was like WTF when GTB Opebi pointed me to an Aboki yet here I was,student who had legit travelling documents dreaming of CBN rates
I roused myself to reality and sought out the black market dudes in my hood
BTW, I'm thinking of using my Nigerian bank card here this week and want to have an idea of what the black market rate is like
This is to help me calculate how much Nigerian banksters creamed off me when I do my transactions angry angry

lol. The bank thing works.
You walk into your bank with your visa and ticket and ask for bta or pta.
If they have, they'll give you sharp sharp

Gtb on the other hand stopped it. I called them and they said so.
That i would have to use my cards to withdraw from the uk

Infact as i have a pounds account and as it doesn't have an ATM card of any type, that i must withdraw it, change it to naira or dollar, create an account of that type and deposit it in the account.
I just said in my mind, did this girl really go to school to suggest such crap when i told her that i am going to the UK and that the uk spends pounds angry
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 8:14am On Aug 18, 2014
^^^^^
Probably would have to try out out banks regarding this BTA/PTA thing when another juncture arises
Be that as it may, we are spiting the same thing on GTB
They were even nice embarassed embarassed to tell you to use your cards unlike been introduced to their in house black market Aboki undecided undecided
Wish they could issue Pound dominated cards seeing I too have a GBP account with 'em
Would really smooth things over
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 8:27am On Aug 18, 2014
ochukoccna: ^^^^^
Probably would have to try out out banks regarding this BTA/PTA thing when another juncture arises
Be that as it may, we are spiting the same thing on GTB
They were even nice embarassed embarassed to tell you to use your cards unlike been introduced to their in house black market Aboki undecided undecided
Wish they could issue Pound dominated cards seeing I too have a GBP account with 'em
Would really smooth things over
my pounds dom account is operated by firstbank and firstbank has a branch in london. They can also send u a form, u fill and scan back, they'll transfer the money to ur uk account, all as stated by someone here.
i just called gtb to know there own process and if they offer bta, though i operate my naira account with them.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 9:01am On Aug 18, 2014
Oh I understand better now, thought your pounds account was with GTB
And to think GTbank has a London branch undecided, yeye scammers!
Don’t have a 1st bank dom account as 'the 2 references who bank with us' demand by Nigerian banks is really a hassle embarassed
Its time the CBN looks into and modifies it
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Kansola01: 9:03am On Aug 18, 2014
Please,how much is gtb converting pounds at this period, like rough estimate..? Because it was 282 last month. Do people get jobs in the uk after studying or is it very rare?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 9:46am On Aug 18, 2014
ochukoccna: Oh I understand better now, thought your pounds account was with GTB
And to think GTbank has a London branch undecided, yeye scammers!
Don’t have a 1st bank dom account as 'the 2 references who bank with us' demand by Nigerian banks is really a hassle embarassed
Its time the CBN looks into and modifies it
My brother get babe wey dey work for first bank. you know the rest grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.