Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,067 members, 7,956,988 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:39 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (71) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (828864 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:54am On Aug 18, 2014
Hello guys please I want to find out if there are job opportunities for Human resource management graduates and broadcast/journalism graduates in the uk.asking for some friends thank you
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 12:23pm On Aug 18, 2014
Please is there anyone In University of Sunderland on this thread? I searched for accommodation of spareroom.co.uk , I ve seen my preference but I dont get replies from the mail I send to all the landlords embarassedPlease is there anyone In University of Sunderland on this thread? I searched for accommodation of spareroom.co.uk , I ve seen my preference but I dont get replies from the mail I send to all the landlords
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 12:52pm On Aug 18, 2014
3sha4lyf:

If you get arik one way, you'll never board that flight until you show a return ticket out of uk.
Also, but seldomly asked, you may be required to show proof of return ticket at point of entry in the uk. Can't stress enough that this is seldomly asked to students studying for more than 6 months.

Please shed more light on this cos I already decided to book arik one way. Is it the arik officials that will stop you from boarding or who? It doesn't make sense considering I'll be there for a year
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by FutureDon(m): 1:34pm On Aug 18, 2014
HudsonBanks: Please shed more light on this cos I already decided to book arik one way. Is it the arik officials that will stop you from boarding or who? It doesn't make sense considering I'll be there for a year

You'll be fine with just one way, don't be bothered.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by HudsonBanks(m): 3:53pm On Aug 18, 2014
FutureDon:

You'll be fine with just one way, don't be bothered.

Thanks a million! Was already wondering.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 4:00pm On Aug 18, 2014
paradisewoods: Please is there anyone In University of Sunderland on this thread? I searched for accommodation of spareroom.co.uk , I ve seen my preference but I dont get replies from the mail I send to all the landlords embarassedPlease is there anyone In University of Sunderland on this thread? I searched for accommodation of spareroom.co.uk , I ve seen my preference but I dont get replies from the mail I send to all the landlords
I don't know about Sunderland landlords but the little I've seen and know about the UK makes me know that phone calls are the fastest way to a landlord's attention grin grin
That been said while spareroom does help, why not bookmark those 'preferences', fly into the UK, lodge in a booked hotel or bed and breakfast (recommended by your school of course) for a few days , map the terrain and inspect those preferences before signing, paying money and committing yourself as tenancy contracts are quite binding in the UK lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Also most University towns have to let signs on houses, windows, the school transport hub, local grocery stores etc
The student union MAY also be of help
Wish you the best in your quest!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Chaze85: 5:18pm On Aug 18, 2014
Hello guys i just want to ask is istanbic savings account work in uk?can i widraw money with that account from atm in uk?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 8:16pm On Aug 18, 2014
Chaze85: Hello guys i just want to ask is istanbic savings account work in uk?can i widraw money with that account from atm in uk?

Yes, as far as the atm is a visa card or mastercard
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Chaze85: 9:03pm On Aug 18, 2014
spikesC:

Yes, as far as the atm is a visa card or mastercard

Ok thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DonOms(m): 1:18am On Aug 19, 2014
@ochukoccna: How are you? I trust you're well and having fun. The GTB rate as at 14th August is #277.7 per £. I've not noticed it go past #278.5 lately except it does this week.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by princessayinke: 4:49am On Aug 19, 2014
Awwww angry I am going tuesday 19th today. Travelling alone and seriously looing for someone I can pally with on the flight. Not fair oooo
Oga Emmagency, abeg start to dey find flight nw oo. Arik air (direct flight) if u book 2nyt and departure is arud mid-september, it is way way cheaper, no hassle.
I am goin wit Emirate dis wednesday but via dubai 1st before connecting to heathrow, d only cheap (One way) flight I got, I no mind d long hours sha.
Advice 4 u, book now!![/quote]
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by princessayinke: 4:51am On Aug 19, 2014
Pls is anyone going to heathrow emirates today 19th. Need a compqnion seriously

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sukber: 5:12am On Aug 19, 2014
princessayinke: Pls is anyone going to heathrow emirates today 19th. Need a compqnion seriously
U should have informed me naaa! Lol
Leaving tomorrow, same airline.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by princessayinke: 5:18am On Aug 19, 2014
Wait oh is it tomorrow 20th? Or u r leaving 19th to arrive 20th. Do u know anyone leaving today
U should have informed me naaa! Lol
Leaving tomorrow, same airline.[/quote]
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by princessayinke: 5:19am On Aug 19, 2014
@ sukber do u mean 20th is when you are leaving.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by princessayinke: 6:40am On Aug 19, 2014
Emmagency:

Oga spike, you aren't wasting time at all ooh.. have you picked up your package yet? picking mine up tomorrow.. (only thing holding me back till September is accommodation tho..)

which date are you leaving. i am looking for a travel companion
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 7:25am On Aug 19, 2014
i don dump emirates ooo
i booked royal air maroc for friday, 1 stop at cassablanca, just 4 hours of waiting and 20k plus cheaper than emirates. Na so body dey sweet me

Who want go waste 8hrs fot dubai
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sukber: 7:46am On Aug 19, 2014
princessayinke: @ sukber do u mean 20th is when you are leaving.
Yes leaving 20th. 2:30pm
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sukber: 7:51am On Aug 19, 2014
spikesC: i don dump emirates ooo
i booked royal air maroc for friday, 1 stop at cassablanca, just 4 hours of waiting and 20k plus cheaper than emirates. Na so body dey sweet me

Who want go waste 8hrs fot dubai
Hahahaaha, oga spikeC. How much u get am?
Got my Emirate flight 185k, just 1hr 30min wait at dubai. Reason 4 goin 2mao is dt I hv a program 2 do in london dis weekend, I shud hv waited till end of d mnth.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Tolly12: 8:11am On Aug 19, 2014
Is anyone heading to University of Aberdeen?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 8:22am On Aug 19, 2014
sukber:
Hahahaaha, oga spikeC. How much u get am?
Got my Emirate flight 185k, just 1hr 30min wait at dubai. Reason 4 goin 2mao is dt I hv a program 2 do in london dis weekend, I shud hv waited till end of d mnth.
253k, to and fro
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 8:37am On Aug 19, 2014
Good morning all, pls if I open a pounds dorm account , will I still be encountering incessant charges when I am withdrawing from atm machine in UK? Thanks for ur response
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Footlocker(m): 9:05am On Aug 19, 2014
1 room available in a 5bedroom family house! Location : London, East dulwich.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by royalsweetness(f): 9:10am On Aug 19, 2014
paradisewoods: Good morning all, pls if I open a pounds dorm account , will I still be encountering incessant charges when I am withdrawing from atm machine in UK? Thanks for ur response
I don't think they issue ATM cards for pounds dorm account but you could go ask at the bank.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:18am On Aug 19, 2014
paradisewoods: Good morning all, pls if I open a pounds dorm account , will I still be encountering incessant charges when I am withdrawing from atm machine in UK? Thanks for ur response

You can go around withdraw charge by using cash back system in shops, basically when you buy something in a shop and pay with your card you ask them for a cash back, though i don't know the limit, alternately you bring 3-4 thousand in cash with you and pay it into your UK bank account then transfer the rest 3K + and pay one off charge.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DonOms(m): 9:31am On Aug 19, 2014
royalsweetness: I don't think they issue ATM cards for pounds dorm account but you could go ask at the bank.

I heard that once. I know GT issues a stand-alone dollar debit mastercard into which you can move money from your dollar dorm acct using Internet Banking. However, I'm not sire if same id applicable to sterling.

BTW, @royalsweetness, you remembered Nairaland UK Students' page today. Trust you're good.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by royalsweetness(f): 9:48am On Aug 19, 2014
justwise:

You can go around withdraw charge by using cash back system in shops, basically when you buy something in a shop and pay with your card you ask them for a cash back, though i don't know the limit, alternately you bring 3-4 thousand in cash with you and pay it into your UK bank account then transfer the rest 3K + and pay one off charge.

Never thought of this cash back method, meaning you could use the self checkout in shops as a kinda ATM cheesy
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by royalsweetness(f): 9:52am On Aug 19, 2014
DonOms:

I heard that once. I know GT issues a stand-alone dollar debit mastercard into which you can move money from your dollar dorm acct using Internet Banking. However, I'm not sire if same id applicable to sterling.

BTW, @royalsweetness, you remembered Nairaland UK Students' page today. Trust you're good.

Lol missed you too, Uni is on a loooong break, and I've been trying to earn my tuition back by working all the hours I can get cheesy grin How have u been?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 10:10am On Aug 19, 2014
royalsweetness:

Never thought of this cash back method, meaning you could use the self checkout in shops as a kinda ATM cheesy

Most retailers dont give cashbacks to credit/debit cards with bank accounts not domiciled in UK. The self serve machines are also programmed not nowadays.
It used to work when I arrived UK but most major retailers that support cashback (Sainsburys, Tesco, Co-op & ASDA) suddenly stopped it. It seems they might have discovered the difficulty of obtaining such funds from foreign banks & this might be a easy way of preventing bank card frauds that most tourists face when they travel to other countries with there bank cards...
My advice is bring some cash along, try & see if any method works for you but you will be prepared in the case of disappointment.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:14am On Aug 19, 2014
peteafrik88:

Most retailers dont give cashbacks to credit/debit cards with bank accounts not domiciled in UK. The self serve machines are also programmed not nowadays.
It used to work when I arrived UK but most major retailers that support cashback (Sainsburys, Tesco, Co-op & ASDA) suddenly stopped it. It seems they might have discovered the difficulty of obtaining such funds from foreign banks & this might be a easy way of preventing bank card frauds that most tourists face when they travel to other countries with there bank cards...
My advice is bring some cash along, try & see if any method works for you but you will be prepared in the case of disappointment.

That makes sense because it could to be used as a way of spending from stolen credit card especially when its a foreign issued card.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:16am On Aug 19, 2014
royalsweetness:

Lol missed you too, Uni is on a loooong break, and [b]I've been trying to earn my tuition bac[/b]k by working all the hours I can get cheesy grin How have u been?

Good idea, we all did that and it worked but....exhausting grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by royalsweetness(f): 10:26am On Aug 19, 2014
justwise:

Good idea, we all did that and it worked but....exhausting grin grin
Lol really exhausting, I've taken a three week holiday sha, going to Nigeria next week, I miss my boyfriend Ebola stricken country cheesy grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (213) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.