Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,693 members, 7,809,619 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:02 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (73) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (809759 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Footlocker(m): 12:03pm On Aug 20, 2014
735i:

Oga!!! You didn't phrase your statement correctly… Justwise had the impression, i also had same….i'm sure a couple of people who read it also did…
Just admit your statement wasn't properly phrased. SIMPLE!!!
abeg no turn this tin into quarrel! Seriously I have better things to do! I left out quite a lot of details intentionally is nairaland ..gumtree! It's left for an individual that's interested to enquire so as to get more details!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 735i(m): 12:12pm On Aug 20, 2014
Footlocker: abeg no turn this tin into quarrel! Seriously I have better things to do! I left out quite a lot of details intentionally is nairaland ..gumtree! It's left for an individual that's interested to enquire so as to get more details!

You get better things to do and you dey quote me dey respond? Swerve abeg
If you can't take the time to include details then keep your info to yourself!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Footlocker(m): 12:14pm On Aug 20, 2014
735i:

You get better things to do and you dey quote me dey respond? Swerve abeg
If you can't take the time to include details then keep your info to yourself!!
Clearly your clueless! Which bush did you grow up in ? Go search for sense please!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mayo47(m): 3:25pm On Aug 20, 2014
Footlocker: Clearly your clueless! Which bush did you grow up in ? Go search for sense please!

Mr!! All u need do is give full details of what u advertising. At the mention of family house comes with the impression that one would be staying with a family.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DonOms(m): 5:12pm On Aug 20, 2014
ochukoccna:
The Don! tongue
How you dey?
I had made my transaction (before reading your post) and its 278.8 as at yesterday wit their usual 420 naira service charge embarassed
Still better than last month's 286
How project things, hope its not so stressed
Me too am feeling the project heat

My bro, I'm good. The heat will be over soon anyway: By the end of the month. I trust you should finish yours soon too, right?

The rate's close to what it had been lately though. I think it's relatively stable now unlike those days when it spikes seriously.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 5:49pm On Aug 20, 2014
PTA Pounds exchange rate for first bank as of today: 273.50 sad
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 9:11pm On Aug 20, 2014
spikesC: PTA Pounds exchange rate for first bank as of today: 273.50 sad

All confirmed rate for 20th August 2014 angry

Access bank - 276
Ecobank - 275.63
Firstbank - 273.5
Fidelity - 272.55
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by TeamclicksAir: 10:09pm On Aug 20, 2014
Emmagency:
9th September and 1st July respectively
Emmagency:

9th September and 1st July respectively
have a safe trip sir

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DonOms(m): 12:56am On Aug 21, 2014
spikesC:

All confirmed rate for 20th August 2014 angry

Access bank - 276
Ecobank - 275.63
Firstbank - 273.5
Fidelity - 272.55

Sterling has been like that for a while and we've seen its worst actually. Just go for the best offer and pack your bags smiley The UK awaits you.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 7:12am On Aug 21, 2014
DonOms:

Sterling has been like that for a while and we've seen its worst actually. Just go for the best offer and pack your bags smiley The UK awaits you.

I don't have a choice na embarassed
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 10:00am On Aug 21, 2014
DonOms:

What do you need to know? Others might be able to help even though they don't attend UoS.
I got this offer from spareroom.co.uk, I am going to Sunderland this September so I have been looking for accommodation. I got this offer and I just want someone there to help me check if the apartment is really what it is.
Hello Ola.
I have a single room available immediately.
The rent is £48.50 per week, payable in advance, and
includes the gas, electricity and internet.
There is a refundable security deposit of £100.00.
If you want to view then please TEXT me on
07984871632 and I will call you back to arrange a
suitable time and date.
If there is any more information that you need then
please just ask.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Keith.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:09am On Aug 21, 2014
paradisewoods:
I got this offer from spareroom.co.uk, I am going to Sunderland this September so I have been looking for accommodation. I got this offer and I just want someone there to help me check if the apartment is really what it is.
Hello Ola.

suitable time and date.
please just ask.
Keith.

Don't pay until you get to the UK and view the room. Don't risk it.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 10:22am On Aug 21, 2014
justwise:

Don't pay until you get to the UK and view the room. Don't risk it.

My fear is that it might be fully booked before I come in September, I will only be in the UK in September but the accommodation is for urgent absorption. Dont know if the landlord is patient enough.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:28am On Aug 21, 2014
paradisewoods:

My fear is that it might be fully booked before I come in September, I will only be in the UK in September but the accommodation is for urgent absorption. Dont know if the landlord is patient enough.

Please don't pay or deposit money for a room you never viewed, anybody will advice you against that. Travel a week or 2 before your course start date and you will get accommodation, getting your deposit back when there is no tenancy agreement signed and no deposit agreement signed is pretty difficult, but if you want to risk it then good luck.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 11:32am On Aug 21, 2014
justwise:

Please don't pay or deposit money for a room you never viewed, anybody will advice you against that. Travel a week or 2 before your course start date and you will get accommodation, getting your deposit back when there is no tenancy agreement signed and no deposit agreement signed is pretty difficult, but if you want to risk it then good luck.

thank you justwise. I will only be mad to do anything contrary to your advice. Your advice brought me this far. I will stick it to for the rest of my life. ***wink****

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DonOms(m): 11:52am On Aug 21, 2014
paradisewoods:
Hello Ola.
suitable time and date.
please just ask.
Keith.

The price is reasonable BUT it is not advisable to pay the security deposit yet. The thing is you don't know the condition of the house and he has the grace of changing his mind on the said house and offering you another. Since you're arriving the UK soon, then let him know you'll call him as soon as you get here. Just book a cheap hotel and lodge there, then you will text him that same day that you want to see the house the next day.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 11:59am On Aug 21, 2014
Emmagency: Hello all, please I'm planning on opening a diamond bank account as I'm getting tired of those yeye first bank guys...considering the fact that diamond also has a branch in London does anyone have an idea how they compare to FB in terms of quality of service, flexibility and reliability..?

Hello...anyone with an idea on this?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 12:07pm On Aug 21, 2014
Emmagency:

That question is relative to an individual, the branch he visits and the service rep he meets. Firstbank also has a branch in the uk
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 12:27pm On Aug 21, 2014
spikesC:
That question is relative to an individual, the branch he visits and the service rep he meets. Firstbank also has a branch in the uk

Sure..but I'm talking of some general stuffs here...take for example, I'm pretty sure it ain't just me that gets frustrated at any FirstBank branch on a Monday (Network Issue), series of little unclear charges on my account and also if diamond exchange rates values are lesser for the most part of certain periods..
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 1:51pm On Aug 21, 2014
paradisewoods:
Hello Ola.
[b] If you want to view then please TEXT me on
suitable time and date. [b]
please just ask.
Keith.

You've been given the info you need darling. All you need to do us text "Keith" and arrange a viewing and, like you would do back in Nigeria, you won't pay for a house you haven't seen or you're not comfi with. To be on the safe side, don't leave too much info for him to know you are abroad, cos ppl coming in are usually targets of scammers and cunny landlords who believe they are desperate. Best bet is to book a small b&b or room with no long contract, say for a week or two, while you scout for your ideal place, If Keith's house isn't suitable when you eventually see it.

Another thing you should consider even with that "refundable security deposit" scam is to ask what security scheme it's held with. It has to be a government-backed tenancy deposit scheme otherwise, when you're ready to move out and need your deposit, you go hear stories upon stories, whether you damaged stuffs or not.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Aug 21, 2014
paradisewoods:

thank you justwise. I will only be mad to do anything contrary to your advice. Your advice brought me this far. I will stick it to for the rest of my life. ***wink****

Lol correct guy. See how u finish work. Justwise must be in one corner fist pumping. Just wise baba how u dey na? Only you na embassy. Omo seun suppose wipe u award honestly.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Rachii: 10:32am On Aug 22, 2014
Emmagency:

Emmagency: Hello all, please I'm planning on opening a diamond bank account as I'm getting tired of those yeye first bank guys...considering the fact that diamond also has a branch in London does anyone have an idea how they compare to FB in terms of quality of service, flexibility and reliability..?

Diamond bank surely will offer you good service,reliability and all but please bear in mind that the diamond bank in the UK is INDEPENDENT of the one in Nigeria even though it's the same owners. The implication of this is that you CANNOT work into Diamond bank Uk and try to ACCESS your diamond bank Nigeria. ITS NOT POSSIBLE!

Here is what you can do. Open an account with Diamond bank Nigeria collect their Diamond INTERNATIONAL VISA DEBIT CARD.( it's just 1050 naira) you can use this card to withdrawal from any VISA powered ATM any where in the world. It would pay you in that country's local currency.

Also note that if you collect this ATM card, you must activate it(that is change your PIN) at the local Diamond bank machine here in Nigeria before you travel. In essence ensure the card is working and all documentations on the account are complete before you travel.

The advantage of this is that someone can even pay as little as 5k in nija for you, and you can easy withdrawal it in pounds in the UK.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Rachii: 10:56am On Aug 22, 2014
blessedfavoured: Does anyone here know if gtbank mastercard or diamond Visa card work on uk ATMs?
Just want to be sure, someone told me sainsbury's only.
And charges too.
Thank you !
Yes Gt MasterCard and Diamond International VISA debit both work on UK machines.
Pls ensure that the diamond card is their INTERNATIONAL debit card, cos there are two diff cards. The Diamond Visa only pays locally that is just here in Nija.

The last time I used my diamond card out side Nigeria, the charged 240 per withdrawal don't kn for GT.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by blessedfavoured: 12:37pm On Aug 22, 2014
Rachii:
Yes Gt MasterCard and Diamond International VISA debit both work on UK machines.
Pls ensure that the diamond card is their INTERNATIONAL debit card, cos there are two diff cards. The Diamond Visa only pays locally that is just here in Nija.

The last time I used my diamond card out side Nigeria, the charged 240 per withdrawal don't kn for GT.

Thank you so much. Yes it's the international Visa card. I guess diamond is way cheaper than gtb then.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Emmagency(m): 1:12pm On Aug 22, 2014
Rachii:

Diamond bank surely will offer you good service,reliability and all but please bear in mind that the diamond bank in the UK is INDEPENDENT of the one in Nigeria even though it's the same owners. The implication of this is that you CANNOT work into Diamond bank Uk and try to ACCESS your diamond bank Nigeria. ITS NOT POSSIBLE!

Here is what you can do. Open an account with Diamond bank Nigeria collect their Diamond INTERNATIONAL VISA DEBIT CARD.( it's just 1050 naira) you can use this card to withdrawal from any VISA powered ATM any where in the world. It would pay you in that country's local currency.

Also note that if you collect this ATM card, you must activate it(that is change your PIN) at the local Diamond bank machine here in Nigeria before you travel. In essence ensure the card is working and all documentations on the account are complete before you travel.

The advantage of this is that someone can even pay as little as 5k in nija for you, and you can easy withdrawal it in pounds in the UK.

Aii....Thanks for the heads up.. Is there any requirement I must fulfill before I can walk into either diamond or first bank in London and request that my funds be transferred to my UK account instead of withdrawing and depositing in cash?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Rachii: 2:35pm On Aug 22, 2014
Emmagency:

Aii....Thanks for the heads up.. Is there any requirement I must fulfill before I can walk into either diamond or first bank in London and request that my funds be transferred to my UK account instead of withdrawing and depositing in cash?

The banks function independent of each other. So yes you need to withdrawal the money then pay into the UK diamond bank which you will have to open differently in the Uk.

You can also walk into the diamond bank UK and confirm this. What I think based on the information available to me is what am telling you.They might have another way but be armed with you international debit card and online banking details before you travel so you are not stranded. Worst case, you do an online transfer to another person (maybe family member you trust) in Nija who can initiate a foreign currency transfer(FCY) from your local Diamond acct (that is Nija) into the international Diamond bank acct which you would have then opened in d UK.

These are just options decide what's best for you. In making ur decisions, consider the charges. I advise you collect ur acct officers phone number so u can compare between the ATM charges if you have to withdrawal in the Uk, the black market rate of buying pounds here in Nija and the cost of FCY.

If you do your research well, you would be surprised at how much you would save.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Rachii: 2:40pm On Aug 22, 2014
blessedfavoured:

Thank you so much. Yes it's the international Visa card. I guess diamond is way cheaper than gtb then.
You're welcome. I don't know how much GT charges but Diamond rates are cheap. As at yesterday, even their PTA was at 269 naira.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 10:37pm On Aug 22, 2014
In the uk now, currently at Ipswich cool

My ears still hurt embarassed

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by myfuture: 6:20am On Aug 23, 2014
The birth year on my WAEC certificate does not tally with the one on my passport but the thing is I have been given admission by a well respected university.When I applied for admission,I submitted the WAEC certificate with the error.I am wondering whether that might still cause problem for me during registration when I arrive in the UK.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by royalsweetness(f): 6:58am On Aug 23, 2014
spikesC: In the uk now, currently at Ipswich cool

Aww finally, good for you
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by paradisewoods: 7:56am On Aug 23, 2014

Mr Teleperformance , eeyah. Pele. We ll all join you soon.
All the best

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:24am On Aug 23, 2014

Welcome to the UK

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.