Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,481 members, 7,770,176 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:43 AM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (530932 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by eduson002(m): 6:02pm On Feb 20, 2012
Pls all.I want to know how long it can take me to start working after arriving canada for graduate study?All replys welcome,thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Paschal137(m): 6:14pm On Feb 20, 2012
Its going 2 take u 6 months b4 u can work in canada as a student.But u can work on campus as soon as u get in 2 canada.The other 1 is off campus,dat is the 1 u have 2 wait 4 six months.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by eduson002(m): 6:30pm On Feb 20, 2012
@PASCHAL,thanks.Are u presently at canada and if yes,what state?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Paschal137(m): 7:08pm On Feb 20, 2012
My brother,i dey naija.But have applied 4 my study permit @ CDHC.I got an offer from Thompson Rivers University.Wat of u?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by eduson002(m): 7:34pm On Feb 20, 2012
@paschal.Am still making my research first of all,considering memorial university of newfoundland.Thank God for you,By His grace,u go get ur permit.I would like to know how I can process my application cos I dont want to pass through any 419 agency.Thanks o.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Paschal137(m): 7:49pm On Feb 20, 2012
Amen.U can get all the info u need in nairaland.U dont need agents 4 ur visa application cos u can do it ur self.Its simple and straight forward.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by eduson002(m): 10:15pm On Feb 20, 2012
@Pascal,there are some questions i would love to ask you,do you mind I have ur email or better still your phone no.Mine is eduson002@yahoo.com.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Manweysabi(m): 11:26pm On Feb 20, 2012
Hi @eduson002, i've made an online application to Memorial University Newfoundland today and i'll be paying my application fee tomorrow. 'trying to collect my transcript and appraisal letters in my school. Maybe we can rob minds and share ideas/experiences.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by eduson002(m): 12:12am On Feb 21, 2012
@manwesabi.ok.Give me ur email and phone no.I dont mind sharin ideas wit u.thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Paschal137(m): 8:43am On Feb 21, 2012
mine is,
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Manweysabi(m): 9:33am On Feb 21, 2012
@eduson, my email is DELETED! my number iz DELETED! So lets keep this thread educative and informative @all. Thanks and God bless!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by deolub: 3:09am On Feb 23, 2012
@lasbonboi @Paschal137 @Newacca @emakgaga @deniyor @justwise et al
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by sim4fx(m): 4:49pm On Feb 23, 2012
Please kindly help me with a school in canada that have Masters for Economic?

Also is there any Distance Learning undergraduate program for Computing that you know at all?

Thanks so much expecting your reply

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by deolub: 9:20pm On Feb 23, 2012
@lasbonboi @Paschal137 @Newacca @emakgaga @deniyor @justwise et al
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by collinsfbi(m): 10:42am On Feb 24, 2012
Please can somebody help me with the list of Universities in canada where I can apply for a Master of Research (MPhil) in Either of Enviromental Engineering, Structural Engineering or any other Civil Engineering Courses in CANADA with full funding as a research or graduate assistant. I graduated with a Second class Upper from a reputable University in Nigeria (civil Engineering)

Please I really need It on time @lasbonboi  @Paschal137 @Newacca @emakgaga   @deniyor  @justwise et al

Please kindly help me with a school in canada that have Masters for Economic?

Also is there any Distance Learning undergraduate program for Computing that you know at all?

Thanks so much expecting your reply

You can check for the list of all the universities in Canada from the link below (page 3), besides you can research yourselves and don't wait till someone will do it for you because you may end up not getting any reply. Do it yourselves and feed others, give and take is a good learning process.

Gbammm over and out

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-429185.64.html

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by deolub: 9:42pm On Feb 24, 2012
thanks bro
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Medlabgirl: 1:39am On Feb 28, 2012
Justwise thank you for this excellent and informative post. I cannot help but comment on it.

For all those who are asking people to avoid homestays, I have to tell you that you are wrong!!! What you should say instead is choose your homestay very carefully. Yes we see a lot of African students get placed with Caucasian and even Chinese and East Indian families, and it’s quite a horrid experience for them. I am not saying that the families are bad, no, they are different from what we as Nigerians know. For example, a chicken salad (no not with all the orishirishi of a Naija salad, just a few bits of chicken in a lot of lettuce, with or without some dressing on it) is considered a perfectly normal lunch, whereas, you might be expecting Eba and Okra soup. Soup and sandwich, yes, a bowl of thin watery soup, (think meat stock in Naija) plus a sandwich (one half of two pcs of bread, with a slice of ham, and some lettuce for e.g.) is also considered a perfectly normal dinner, while you fresh from naija, are thinking Rice n Stew. Perspective is everything.

I have a very good friend who has in the last year or so started a settlement program for new families in British Columbia. She has now added a homestay component, and I will be joining her in this venture.

A homestay is crucial for a newcomer to Canada. When I first got here all those years ago, (I came as a landed immigrant, not as a student) even though I arrived Canada with over $12,000USD, I stayed with a Pastor and his family for four months, until I got my bearings.

The homestay we are offering costs only $650 a month. This includes a stay with a Nigerian family, offering Nigerian home cooked meals.  You also have your own room, Internet access 24hrs a day, access to a land line, which once you start to buy phone cards will make perfect sense to you, laundry and cable TV. Most homestays have a computer available for the student as well, as well as TV's in their rooms.

I challenge anybody to try to find anything as affordable as this.

Compared to shared accommodations for e.g., first of all, let’s say you are very lucky and find a good roomie to share with, trust me this is not as easy as people think, your rent for your one room is say $350. You still have to buy a bed, blankets, pillows, a dresser, you need to buy kitchen utensils to cook, you need a microwave, you will also need a desk and a chair to study on, you will need a computer if you don’t already have one, you may also need a printer for all those assignments you will have to hand in, if your instructor doesn’t accept Emailed ones. You will need to buy a television as well.
You will of course also need to pay your bills monthly. Cable TV is at least $50 a month; internet is at least $40 a month. You will need to do your laundry at a Laundromat for about $20-30 a month, as most suites do not offer laundry. Then you will need to buy food and spend time to cook and store it. If you share a suite, most times you will also be fighting with a roomie about things like 'Did you eat my food in the fridge?" or How come you used all my toothpaste? If you get an apartment, instead of a basement suite, then plan to pay at least $450 a month for rent, plus all the other expenses listed above. You will also need to pay for your hydro bills, about $50 a month if you're good, and also gas bills, again about another $50 a month, so you are already looking at $700 a month, and you haven’t even bought food. All these only since you're sharing. Double or more that if you don't share.

I can tell you right now that one of the most critical things for you, arriving straight from home is going to be,  who to pick you up from the airport when you first arrive, and who will have that first hot bath and warm meal as well as a comfortable place to stay when you arrive? Who will take you around and show you how things are done? Please your best bet is a homestay.

So please my friends, don't be too quick to knock that homestay. One dear girl who attends Simon Fraser University has been in a homestay now for 3 years, and she loves it. Her host family, yes Naija family, got her a job, and she's really happy.

The newest homestay who will be arriving in April requested a receipt for her payment (she paid for 6months) to be sent to the Canadian High Commission, as well as a letter saying that she had the homestay arranged, and that she would be picked up from the airport etc. This was done and she said she was asked about the homestay during her interview.

This homestay is fantastic for students and all newcomers to British Columbia, so if you are a student, or a new immigrant, send an email and I will be happy to set you up with a homestay. I look forward to hearing from you.

medlabgirl@live.com. Please put Homestay in the subject of your email.

Again thanks Justwise for putting this up. I think I will start up a new thread later this week, advertising the homestay and settlement for New families.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by 2sexy(m): 8:07am On Feb 28, 2012
Thanks medla girl for the insightful post on home stay. I love your entreprenural zeal. It seem that you and your friend are pioneering this concept and I tell you the truth, with good marketing and advertisement, you will make good money in a sub-niche within the homestay program. Don't leave out online ads. Facebook ads and Google ads will do.

I would love to come to Canada but my main problem is finance. I may struggle to pay the application fee to a school and also pay the $3000 or more tution fees but the bank statement of over 3million Naira is where my problem lies. My half American brother does not want to sponsor even though he has the money as a medical doctor. I don't have anyone else to turn. My bro probably think otherwise.

I love Canada as I see there are potentials untap over there. I know I will succeed if landed. It may not be easy but its not impossible.

The state of things in my family has urged me to leave this country and I am currently do a Petroleum Engineering Course at my school (HND) and would grad. This year.

Please Medla girl, can you help me find a school where I can do a PGD in Geology, Geophysics, Minning Engineering or Petroleum Engineering. I have been searching and still haven't found any. Please help.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by sirrinky: 1:18pm On Feb 29, 2012
Hello nairalander please i need ur help in pointing out which way 2 go. i would like to pursue engineering in canada bt i dnt knw where to start. anyone that has gone through this process pls hw did u go bout it,and if u re currently paying ur fees urself without assistance frm relatives hw do u survive pls i really need ur help am a 4.0g.p elect studnt nw bt i dnt think i wud finish dis course here. i wud just want to start afresh. AWAITING RESPONSE### TNX
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by sirrinky: 5:02pm On Feb 29, 2012
Guys dont ignore my posts plss^^^^^^^^ also anyone that has workd and study @ the same time,could u tell hw much u whr earning and d type of work? also did u pay fees urself. if yes hw
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by sirrinky: 5:04pm On Feb 29, 2012
Guys dont ignore my posts plss^^^^^^^^ also anyone that has workd and study @ the same time,could u tell hw much u whr earning and d type of work? also did u pay fees urself. if yes hw
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Medlabgirl: 10:03am On Mar 03, 2012
Hi everyone, thank you so much to all that have made enquiries regarding homestays. I must say that I neglected to mention that the homestay arrangements for now are only being offered in British Columbia, which means that the schools would include these listed below. If you are coming to BC outside of these schools, please feel free to ask, and we will be happy to see if you can be accommodated. We have started to make enquiries outside of BC as well, and will further update you as things progress. Again many thanks, and I will now open a new thread to advertise the homestays. Thank you. Here are the schools served for now:

Douglas College New Westminster

British Columbia Institute of Technology

Justice Institute of British Columbia

Langara CollegeVancouver

Sprott-Shaw Community College

University of British Columbia

Capilano University

Emily Carr University of Art and Design

Fairleigh Dickinson University

University of the Fraser Valley

Kwantlen Polytechnic University

University of Northern British Columbia

Quest University

Royal Roads University

Simon Fraser University

Thompson Rivers University

Trinity Western University

University Canada West

Vancouver Island University

University of Victoria

See you soon. Cheers, medlabgirl@live.com

Here's a link to the posted Ad: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-885133.0.html

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Paschal137(m): 10:48am On Mar 03, 2012
@medlabgal,I would luv 2 know wat u know about Thompson Rivers Uni and its environment.The best house plan for new students and the best way 2 save money while in dat area.Wat r the job opportunities in dat area?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by moty4all: 12:07pm On Mar 03, 2012
@all

What is the average amount a student can earn in Canada.

Do any know anything about New Brunswick. What are the job prospect for Student.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Buchi758: 12:46am On Mar 06, 2012
Hello everyone,

I am new to this thread and applaud you guys for your detailed information.
I am currently studying in Canada and hope to apply for my post-graduation work permit by April/May. My wife and our 1 year old daughter is currently residing in Lagos, and i seriously would love them to come join me this year. I would appreciate suggestions from you guys on the best way to go about this.

Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Buchi758: 1:00am On Mar 06, 2012
Hey guys,

I have a few comments regarding the cheapest place to live as a student in Canada.
From personal experience, on-campus residence can be very expensive. I spent my entire 1st year as a student in my university residence and they made me pay $800 every month. Although food is included, but my people the food is terrible, taste-wise and health-wise (if you no dey careful you go become orobo). Off-campus, you can team up with other students to share buildings. In this case you could spend as low as $300/$350 per month (rent & utilities) and then take care of your food.

In as much as living on-campus helps a lot during the winter seasons, affordability should guide your decision.

Good luck people.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Buchi758: 1:26am On Mar 06, 2012
@ Moty4all,

The amount students earn in Canada is variable depending on the job and the number of hours they work. Majority of the jobs available pay per hour and the rates can be as low as the minimum wage (varies by province - $9 in Yukon and $11 in Nunavut). Irrespective of the rate per hour, the number of hours worked makes a lot of difference (but be careful so that your grades won't drop).

Job opportunities for International students also vary by city or province. I study at the University of Saskatchewan and it is easier for us to find off-campus and even summer jobs. I have a friend at Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, BC who found it extremely difficult finding on-campus and off-campus jobs. When you find a job that pays reasonably well, the secret is modifying your CV to match what they want. For example, it is irrelevant to include your degree in Medicine or Law if you are applying for a food server position in McDonald's. It is almost guaranteed they may not hire you. Usually, references for job experiences gained outside North America especially in Africa are contacted (in rare occasions) via e-mail.

I really don't know much about New Brunswick.

Hope these information helps.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Buchi758: 1:54am On Mar 06, 2012
Hello Sir rinky,

If am not quoting you wrongly, you want to abandon your current undergraduate program in elect. engineering? Why would you do that? That would be an advantage for you. Undergraduate courses in Canada is very very expensive, while graduate courses are cheaper (and you may get funding too). My advice is to complete your current program, maintain a good GPA. Then after your graduation, you can start applying to any of the graduate schools here.

The best way to search for schools in Canada is to visit each universities website and go through their admission requirements.

Supporting yourself as a student in Canada is difficult especially when you have to work to pay your fees. It is advisable to come with your 1st year's tuition and living expenses, as this will give you time to settle in and find jobs that could sustain you.

Good luck

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Mar 06, 2012
moty4all:

@all

What is the average amount a student can earn in Canada.

Do any know anything about New Brunswick. What are the job prospect for Student.

Hey there, I school at a university in New Brunswick. When you say job prospects do you mean while schooling or after your degree? Well, while schooling, it is very easy to get a job. Almost every student has a job (no kidding!). All you need is your willingness to work. Like I said earlier, McDonald's is always employing, so is Tim Hortons.

Personally, I intend moving out of New Brunswick to Ontario or Alberta after my degree as I feel there is not much here job-wise. This place is so laid back it almost seems like people dont care about money, unlike in the bigger provinces. New Brunswick however is a good province to study but could be pretty boring. lol
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Mar 06, 2012
sir rinky:

Hello nairalander please i need ur help in pointing out which way 2 go. i would like to pursue engineering in canada bt i dnt knw where to start. anyone that has gone through this process pls hw did u go bout it,and if u re currently paying ur fees urself without assistance frm relatives hw do u survive pls i really need ur help am a 4.0g.p elect studnt nw bt i dnt think i wud finish dis course here. i wud just want to start afresh. AWAITING RESPONSE### TNX

I am not an Engineering student but I have friends who are.
It costs more (tuition) to study Engineering in most Canadian universities that it does to study other courses as you have a lot of mandatory fees you would be asked to pay. It is not advisable for you to come here without the help of any relatives especially if you (on your own) are not financially equipped. Schooling here as an International student (or even landed immigrant) is not cheap my dear. There is really no job you can get as a student that would sustain you and still be enough to pay your fees. That is the sad truth.

May God help you in your quest for attaining a better education.
Good luck. smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by moty4all: 8:07pm On Mar 06, 2012
@naijasexy

Thanks for your comment,

Is getting an accommodation necessary when applying for Visa.

I was told by the sch i am applying to that i should get my VISA first before getting accommodation.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:00am On Mar 07, 2012
^^You are very welcome.
That's what you should do. Only after getting your visa should you proceed to make arrangements for accommodation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (84) (Reply)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.