Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,583 members, 7,827,169 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:21 AM

Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme (8227 Views)

GEJ & PMB: Power Generation Comparison April 2015 Vs April, 2016 / Nigeria Picks Kogi, Akwa Ibom For Nuclear Power Plants / Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by wesley80(m): 4:44am On Jun 30, 2012
Nigeria and Russian have commenced implementation of a nuclear power generation agreement signed three years ago, the Chairman, Nigeria Atomic Energy Commission, Dr Franklin E. Osaiosai, said yesterday.

The agreement, signed in June 2009, is to facilitate cooperation on the development of nuclear energy for peaceful purposes.

Dr Osaiosai said that currently, modalities are being developed to ratify the agreements and proceed with their implementation.

This is coming just as President Goodluck Jonathan said generating power through nuclear remains a mainstream goal of his administration.

Commissioning the N650 million worth Nuclear Researchers’ Hostel at Sheda near Abuja, Jonathan, represented by Vice President Namadi Sambo said Nigeria is committed to generating power using nuclear but called for caution in the implementation of the programme.

He said the agency has gone far in partnering with other countries that developed capabilities and competencies in nuclear power industry and operations.

Osaiosai said the major challenge facing the project is funding, and called on the federal government to come to their aid in order to meet the targeted time.

Nigeria has been consistently enjoying support from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and other developing partners.

Jonathan commend the commission for the progress made in the implementation of the roadmap for nuclear generation. “I am pleased that our national nuclear power programme continues to enjoy the confidence of development partners and IAEA,” he said.

He urged the agency to develop and implement mechanism for national, regional and international nuclear emergency preparedness capabilities to avoid any unforeseen circumstances.

Nigerian targets 10,000 megawatts of electricity by the year 2020 and plans to increase it to 40,000 by 2030.

dailytrust.com.ng/index.php option=com_content&view=article&id=170448:nigeria-russia commence-nuclear-power-programme&catid=business&Itemid=3
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by wesley80(m): 4:55am On Jun 30, 2012
Sure most wld have reservations about going nuclear but this is the way to go for any nation serious about improving and diversifying her power sources. There's a reason the supposedly "dumb" President thats smarter than most believes Nigerias Power supply wld be the best in the near future.
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Mandelaguy(m): 4:59am On Jun 30, 2012
The position we are taking is quite good for the growth and development of this nation. Implementing the road map has become paramount in the GEJ administration and even though he keeps meeting opposition and blind criticisms at every turn,majority of Nigerians are confident he will deliver and set the country on the right developmental course.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Mandelaguy(m): 5:02am On Jun 30, 2012
wesley80: Sure most wld have reservations about going nuclear but this is the way to go for any nation serious about improving and diversifying her power sources. There's a reason the supposedly "dumb" President thats smarter than most believes Nigerias Power supply wld be the best in the near future.
thank God you are old on this forum,haters will soon label you paid,new or give you one of heir numerous identities. We all want change and are getting it whether hey like it or not.
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Nobody: 5:02am On Jun 30, 2012
wesley80: Sure most wld have reservations about going nuclear but this is the way to go for any nation serious about improving and diversifying her power sources. There's a reason the supposedly "dumb" President thats smarter than most believes Nigerias Power supply wld be the best in the near future.

In a sentence, Nigeria is not ripe for Nuclear Power.

We should concentrate on gas utilization to generate power.
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Mandelaguy(m): 5:04am On Jun 30, 2012
bayooooooo:

Please tell us when we will be ripe or how we will know.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Nobody: 5:11am On Jun 30, 2012
Mandelaguy: Please tell us when we will be ripe or how we will know.

We will be ripe and know as well when we have developed required competence for strict adherence to safety standards and maintenance culture.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Mandelaguy(m): 5:17am On Jun 30, 2012
bayooooooo:

We will be ripe and know as well when we have developed required competence for strict adherence to safety standards and maintenance culture.

did you read that article very well?
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by wesley80(m): 5:19am On Jun 30, 2012
bayooooooo:

True, lets only concentrate on gas till we completely run out of gas and then we can start developing Nuclear and other alternative power sources. I'm certain that by then, our super generation of genetically modified two headed citizens wld be "ripe" for nuclear power. Right?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Mandelaguy(m): 5:26am On Jun 30, 2012
wesley80: True, lets only concentrate on gas till we completely run out of gas and then we can start developing Nuclear and other alternative power sources. I'm certain that by then, our super generation of genetically modified two headed citizens wld be "ripe" for nuclear power. Right?
hahahahahahahah is it not the economic policy of bayooo and his friends?
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Nobody: 5:27am On Jun 30, 2012
wesley80: True, lets only concentrate on gas till we completely run out of gas and then we can start developing Nuclear and other alternative power sources. I'm certain that by then, our super generation of genetically modified two headed citizens wld be "ripe" for nuclear power. Right?

True, let's build nuclear plants and get a substantial part our population exterminated. I am certain by then, we will build more nuclear plants to preserve the gas from running dry.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Nobody: 5:34am On Jun 30, 2012
Mandelaguy: hahahahahahahah is it not the economic policy of bayooo and his friends?

So funny! GEJ apologist! As long as it falls within the transformation mantra of this present administration, I don't expect you to criticize it.
It's not the way to go now. Infact, I am of the opinion that site location of the plants itself will bring so much bad politics in view of our present security challenges, fractious nature of our federation and the potential for weaponisation of the program.
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by wesley80(m): 5:39am On Jun 30, 2012
^^ And who says you have to know where its sited?
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Nobody: 5:47am On Jun 30, 2012
wesley80: ^^ And who says you have to know where its sited?

Are you kidding me! grin grin grin

If it's for peaceful purpose and not a secret weapons programme, the whole world will know the location, the safety perimeter around the region well explained to everyone.
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by wesley80(m): 5:54am On Jun 30, 2012
bayooooooo:

Are you kidding me! grin grin grin

If it's for peaceful purpose and not a secret weapons programme, the whole world will know the location, the safety perimeter around the region well explained to everyone.
That's the point duh! Fancy protesting outside a nuclear power plant? Pick a site and start building and let them haters choke on their criticisms when they can do nada about its location! Yep, no negotiations!
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Nobody: 5:58am On Jun 30, 2012
wesley80: That's the point duh! Fancy protesting outside a nuclear power plant? Pick a site and start building and let them haters choke on their criticisms when they can do nada about its location! Yep, no negotiations!

It's not that simple! shocked
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by TrueNaijaguy: 6:02am On Jun 30, 2012
@bayooooo Why do you always find fault in any developmental step taken by GEJ's administration? I think you've been brainwashed for long that you label anybody that believes in the trasformation agenda an apologist. Nuclear power will not only improve the overall capacity of our power generation but it will also improve our knowledge on the usage of nuclear technology for peaceful purposes. All power generation processes have risks and disadvantages attached to it, Nuclear power cannot be an exemption. Give GEJ a chance. Access him after four years not barely one year into his mandate.
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Beaf: 6:11am On Jun 30, 2012
bayooooooo:

It's not that simple! shocked

Really? In case you don't know, the FG practically owns all unused land.
If the FG siezes your land, what are you going to do, aside claim compensation?
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Uche2006: 6:13am On Jun 30, 2012
beaf , you will have thousand of Ijaw people murder over Jonathan Goodluck. you better tell him not to run ..
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Beaf: 6:16am On Jun 30, 2012
bayooooooo:

How do you develop the "required competence for strict adherence to safety standards and maintenance culture" for nuclear energy without the challenges posed by actually physically owning a nuclear reactor?
Prayers won't give such capabilities, bro; only tangible challenges can imbue such in us.
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Nobody: 6:18am On Jun 30, 2012
TrueNaijaguy: @bayooooo Why do you always find fault in any developmental step taken by GEJ's administration? I think you've been brainwashed for long that you label anybody that believes in the trasformation agenda an apologist. Nuclear power will not only improve the overall capacity of our power generation but it will also improve our knowledge on the usage of nuclear technology for peaceful purposes. All power generation processes have risks and disadvantages attached to it, Nuclear power cannot be an exemption. Give GEJ a chance. Access him after four years not barely one year into his mandate.

The highlighted part is not only wrong but mischievous as well. I am not a black and white fellow that is either for or against any administration. My assessment is on policy basis. If I think it's a good move, I commend the administration and vice versa. I don't criticize blindly without advancing reasons for my positions.

I don't just label everyone an apologist. I actually know the apologists! grin grin grin Literary style is a signature. It does not matter even you write without proper paragraph or allow for occasional grammatical or textual mistakes, the thought pattern always betray the identity. So, you are well known. shocked shocked shocked

No human endeavor is entirely risk free. But the severity of consequences attached to each level of risks differ and if history is to be our guide, Nuclear power generation is an area we need to thread cautiously. The experience of japan is still fresh in mind. Germany is voting to rule out building more plants or phase it out completely. etc. we have a culture of fire brigade approach to emergency issue if when they are child's play compare to what nuclear emergencies portend. We are not ripe for this one.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Nobody: 6:24am On Jun 30, 2012
Beaf:

Really? In case you don't know, the FG practically owns all unused land.
If the FG siezes your land, what are you going to do, aside claim compensation?

It's beyond land seizure. The land for such is not even what one can contest. Ideally you want to have it within at least a radius of 30km from towns and by nature it has to be close to source of water. So in our case, it might actually be sitting on Atlantic ocean. It's the politics of site location that will not come easy. It's not a project that can be accomplished in a fast manner as well. feasibility study alone can take years!
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Zutchy: 6:42am On Jun 30, 2012
bayooooooo:

It's beyond land seizure. The land for such is not even what one can contest. Ideally you want to have it within at least a radius of 30km from towns and by nature it has to be close to source of water. So in our case, it might actually be sitting on Atlantic ocean. It's the politics of site location that will not come easy. It's not a project that can be accomplished in a fast manner as well. feasibility study alone can take years!
I have come to recognize you as a pessimist,anybody who is educated knows that the enrichment of uranium for power generation is not an easy task and yet we all know yet still that the journey of a thousand mile begins wth one step,if as a country and a nation Nigeria doesn't explore the avenue of generating power through nuclear means then it means that we are not yet serious about having constant power,considering the size of this country and the ever increasing size of our population we just have to do that,the gas will run out one day and any country that is serious about forging ahead doesn't just depend on only one source for power generation,the siting of the nuclear plant will not be a problem.
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Beaf: 6:42am On Jun 30, 2012
bayooooooo:

There is no ideal location for nuclear reactors as far as towns are concerned. For example, fissile material travels through London by rail and the company that manufactures the UK's nuclear warheads (Atomic Weapons Establishment, AWE) is in a village called Aldermaston. That village also hosts a nuclear reactor.
Aldermaston is also nowhere near the ocean, even though England is an island.

If we were making a nuclear bomb, then the facilities would need to be far from town and preferrably deep underground or in a rocky mountain. But we are not making weapons.

Those who have nuclear facilities are not spirits, Nigeria can do it too. Development cannot come without risk anyway; there is the old saying, "nothing ventured, nothing gained."
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Nobody: 6:46am On Jun 30, 2012
Zutchy: I have come to recognize you as a pessimist,anybody who is educated knows that the enrichment of uranium for power generation is not an easy task and yet we all know yet still that the journey of a thousand mile begins wth one step,if as a country and a nation Nigeria doesn't explore the avenue of generating power through nuclear means then it means that we are not yet serious about having constant power,considering the size of this country and the ever increasing size of our population we just have to do that,the gas will run out one day and any country that is serious about forging ahead doesn't just depend on only one source for power generation,the siting of the nuclear plant will not be a problem.

Literary style is a signature. grin grin grin

I am not a pessimist.
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by jmaine: 6:49am On Jun 30, 2012
I understand Bayooooo point and i also share in his views . . .I feel a nuclear power plant is disaster waiting to happen . .not with our current lapse in security and our traditional non adherence to laid down rules . . . . . .

God forbid , we have our own Chernobyl disaster in addition to our Niger delta chronic pollution
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Nobody: 6:49am On Jun 30, 2012
Beaf:

There is no ideal location for nuclear reactors as far as towns are concerned. For example, fissile material travels through London by rail and the company that manufactures the UK's nuclear warheads (Atomic Weapons Establishment, AWE) is in a village called Aldermaston. That village also hosts a nuclear reactor.
Aldermaston is also nowhere near the ocean, even though England is an island.

If we were making a nuclear bomb, then the facilities would need to be far from town and preferrably deep underground or in a rocky mountain. But we are not making weapons.

Those who have nuclear facilities are not spirits, Nigeria can do it too. Development cannot come without risk anyway; there is the old saying, "nothing ventured, nothing gained."

grin grin grin

There is no ideal location but it's safer when it's closer to source of water. After all, weapons testing are usually carried out in desert. Majority of nuclear power plants in the world are sited as such for that reason.
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Boboribo: 6:52am On Jun 30, 2012
Una never fit run Ajaokuta, una wan start another adventure?
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Beaf: 6:53am On Jun 30, 2012
bayooooooo:

grin grin grin

There is no ideal location but it's safer when it's closer to source of water. After all, weapons testing are usually carried out in desert. Majority of nuclear power plants in the world are sited as such for that reason.

There are nuclear plant designs that don't need flowing water these days. And we have rivers even in the far North, if water is to be the limiting factor of the design and strategy we choose. The plants can be anywhere, even in Abuja.
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Zutchy: 6:55am On Jun 30, 2012
Yes it is quite true that having anything to do with nuclear materials is always a dangerous issue,but the govt has not said that we are venturing into power generation through nuclear means on our own no,we are partnering with one of the worlds foremost and most reliable countries when it comes to anything nuclear, Russia,do you think they will not make sure that anything that is being done will not meet up with the worlds standards on safety precautions,plsss,we know that anything nuclear is dangerous business accepted,but still I dunno believe that Nigeria is any lesser to most of the countries that have succeeded in generating power through nuclear means,what should be the view of most people is not how long will the feasibility study be,or that it is too dangerous,our opinions now should be directed towards making sure that the best safety precautions,and measures that are world standard be put in place.
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by TrueNaijaguy: 7:13am On Jun 30, 2012
bayooooooo:

The highlighted part is not only wrong but mischievous as well. I am not a black and white fellow that is either for or against any administration. My assessment is on policy basis. If I think it's a good move, I commend the administration and vice versa. I don't criticize blindly without advancing reasons for my positions.

I don't just label everyone an apologist. I actually know the apologists! grin grin grin Literary style is a signature. It does not matter even you write without proper paragraph or allow for occasional grammatical or textual mistakes, the thought pattern always betray the identity. So, you are well known. shocked shocked shocked

No human endeavor is entirely risk free. But the severity of consequences attached to each level of risks differ and if history is to be our guide, Nuclear power generation is an area we need to thread cautiously. The experience of japan is still fresh in mind. Germany is voting to rule out building more plants or phase it out completely. etc. we have a culture of fire brigade approach to emergency issue if when they are child's play compare to what nuclear emergencies portend. We are not ripe for this one.

I won't join issues on the 'apologist' tag you always give people that support GEJ's administration cos I've made my point known.

Risks are meant to be taken irrespective of the severity. There have been more hydro dam accidents recorded in most countries than nuclear. Germany is phasing out nuclear plants cos they have alternative sources available. We need to have a luxury of it before we start choosing the one to phase out.Saying that Nigeria is not ripe for Nuclear power is like saying we shouldn't have allowed the use of aeroplanes cos we can't manage them. I think you should be more concerned about the saftey measures that will be introduced in the course of developing the plants.
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by hercules07: 9:43am On Jun 30, 2012
A country that has not yet shone in the little things wants to go for the high tech one, this is an opportunity for russians to make some money off us, for some ministries guys to chop and for some consultants as well, our leaders are terrible.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lai Mohammed Raises Alarm Over Unhealthy Condition Of Imported Rice / The State That Gave Atiku Victory & The Winning Margins Over Buhari / Governor Udom Emmanuel Bars All Political Appointees From Press Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.