Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,210 members, 7,839,119 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:02 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (208) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1795942 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) ... (705) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by abagoro(m): 12:38am On Aug 20, 2014
BuddahMonk: Another reason why your the most hated in NL, must you comment insult igbos and their views...many people that are saying good of Kano here are Igbos why some that are in the opposing view are also igbos.

Why must you drag igbos to your stupidty and idiocy?

Besides who is taking you clown seriuos anymore?...i used to think your nemesis was wrong trying to exterminate you but your stinking attitude justifies his craziness.

The official NL Persona no grata

You disgust me man. Don't ever dare quote me again. I prefer engaging intelligent people and not tribalists like you that are mentally deranged. What's my wrong in clarifying an argument based on my knowledge?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by abagoro(m): 12:42am On Aug 20, 2014
Unemadu:

And who says they are not making money?

Are you inferring that southeast/southsouth isnt viable economically?

Unity bank is head quartered in kano and to me thats smart thinking.

if everyone thought like you then Anaigbo will be empty.

You are one of the people that think deep as an Igbo. It gives me joy when some Igbos think home while investing.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 12:42am On Aug 20, 2014
eaglechild:
Looks new.
I love the grass.

^^^That's the type of grass the Akwata embankment area needs!

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:52am On Aug 20, 2014
IGBOSON1:

*singing*

Chimaroke
Ebeano
Okwa nke Nnamani
Ebeano
E luru high tension
Ebeano
Akwata Road o
Ebeano
Ha ncha bu ebeano
Ebeano

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 8:18am On Aug 20, 2014
CFCfan:
*singing*

Chimaroke
Ebeano
Okwa nke Nnamani
Ebeano
E luru high tension
Ebeano
Akwata Road o
Ebeano
Ha ncha bu ebeano
Ebeano

grin grin grin grin
And his Akwata Road collapsed after one rainy season.

Chimaroke had some very controversial dealings.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 8:19am On Aug 20, 2014
IGBOSON1:

Exactly, imagine how beautiful it will look.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 10:40am On Aug 20, 2014
The Comments on the last 3 pages of this thread caught my attention but i couldnt reply, as my original handle is serving a ban. Anyways here's what i wish to clarify quickly!

1. About bikes in Anambra
Chino definitely over exaggerated when he said about 98% of the riders arent from the state, though a huge chunk of them are from the north(Kogi,Benue and Plateau) and neighbouring states, but most operators in the rural areas are from their individual communities.

But of all comments here, the most myopic and perharps stup.id was the one comparing Enugu with Kano!

Guys, seriously? undecided There's a big difference between being ''Patriotic'' and being ''Delusional'' and it's unfortunate that most posters here have decided to go with the later.

Take this from me, Kaduna alone perharps trumps all what Enugu has got, comparing it with Kano is tantmount to insulting that city.
Abagoro tried making you guys see the truth but some still chose to be Delusional

I don talk my own finish... Oya the insults can start!
grin

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by rafindo(m): 11:06am On Aug 20, 2014
we should apply reasoning when stating our points.sincerely speaking we shuldnt allow delusion nd mediocrity becloud our mental abilities.south east nigeria is naturally disadvantage becos of landmass.we should spend more energy in building a city in the proper sense of the word city not all these urban centre we call city.hong kong,brunei nd singapore hav been able to attract the world to them self even with small landmass,because they had leaders with high standard nd city futuristic ambitions nd plan.we in se settled for mediocrity as a standard.in my analytical opinon,only enugu can only be called a city the rest are glorified urban centres.if anybody understand what a city is will never call onitsha,awka,nnewi,nsukka,abakaliki,umuahia,orlu,okigwe.aba nd owerre hav the potentials to be mega cities.city are not built with chairmen nd indigenes but with mayor nd resident.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 11:20am On Aug 20, 2014
I attest to the delusion of grandeur that some people have alluded to. That was how some people were saying sometime ago that Enugu does not need skyscrapers because it blocks fresh air from flowing and thereby makes the city unliveable and i'm like WTF? Because we don't have something doesn't mean, it's bad. Let's learn to appreciate what we have while hoping for things to get better. Enugu is a good city relative to other cities in the SE especially and it is one of the most serene cities in Nigeria. That being said, Enugu still has a long way to go to catch up with major cities in other parts of the country talk more of cities in other parts of the word.

Enugu is growing in a certain pattern that i'm not happy with. if you notice the pictures being posted here daily, you would notice that they're mostly pictures of residential buildings and i ask myself, if Enugu is actually a city, shouldn't we be seeing pictures of skyscrapers or atleast tall buildings? The reason why Enugu is growing the way it should is that there's no concerted effor which should come from the government to make Enugu a pride city. it is a pride in some parameters which i alluded to earlier but it still has a long way to go. We need a business district (not a shop or kiosk district). We need an industrial hub. We need to invest in Media, Information Technology, Education and make Enugu a place that people will want to visit. Have you asked yourself why Enugu is not a top tourist destination as much as Calabar and Uyo or even Owerri. Unlike Enugu, these towns/cities draw people who come from all over the country to have a nice time. We know how the government of Cross River have invested heavily in the Calabar Christmas festival. We know how they have setup Tinapa in Calabar and how they have made the city the link to Obu Cattle Ranch. We know how Uyo has become the conference headquarter of the east. Everyday we hear how that city is hosting one conference or the other. Enugu despite not being a commercial or industrial city is not doing any of these. These are the things that Calm cities like Enugu are known for. Hosting important meetings and conferences and boasting of world class hotels. We need to take our expectations higher instead of deluding ourselves that Enugu is better than Kano. if it was better, how come you don't hear people from other parts of the country saying "I used to live in Enugu" or "My Famuily stays in Enugu" or "I'm based in Enugu" etc. That's because there's nothing that will keep you there. You're better off going to base in benin than staying in Enugu and that's the truth. We have a city that have promise and we have to nuture it and the government have to do their own part of the bargain.

Thank God the international airport is coming along. Thank God more roads are being built. We need a monorail or something similar. We need industries and businesses and not shops and kiosks. Big Igbo buisiness men should start investing in the east for God's sake. We need to put Enugu at a pedestal where it will compete with the best in the world. Enough of all this boasting. We boast a lot. Let's get cracking.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 11:27am On Aug 20, 2014
@rafindo there cant be mayor in any city in present day nigeria so your system cant work at the moment.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 11:34am On Aug 20, 2014
Afam, when did your quarrel with Mr Paragraph start?

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by jbaur24: 11:36am On Aug 20, 2014
The only way to achieve this aim of getting people to come live and work in Enugu is to embark on wide scale industrialization of the state. That way people can migrate for job sake to live and work in Enugu State. The good number of new industries springing up in Anambra vis-a-vis Sabmiller, Orient Petroleum, Krisoral Group, Orange Drugs, Distell SA etc has seen people from all over the country migrating to secure jobs and live in the state.

Afam4eva: I attest to the delusion of grandeur that some people have alluded to. That was how some people were saying sometime ago that Enugu does not need skyscrapers because it blocks fresh air from flowing and thereby makes the city unliveable and i'm like WTF? Because we don't have something doesn't mean, it's bad. Let's learn to appreciate what we have while hoping for things to get better. Enugu is a good city relative to other cities in the SE especially and it is one of the most serene cities in Nigeria. That being said, Enugu still has a long way to go to catch up with major cities in other parts of the country talk more of cities in other parts of the word. Enugu is growing in a certain pattern that i'm not happy with. if you notice the pictures being posted here daily, you would notice that they're mostly pictures of residential buildings and i ask myself, if Enugu is actually a city, shouldn't we be seeing pictures of skyscrapers or atleast tall buildings? The reason why Enugu is growing the way it should is that there's no concerted effor which should come from the government to make Enugu a pride city. it is a pride in some parameters which i alluded to earlier but it still has a long way to go. We need a business district (not a shop or kiosk district). We need an industrial hub. We need to invest in Media, Information Technology, Education and make Enugu a place that people will want to visit. Have you asked yourself why Enugu is not a top tourist destination as much as Calabar and Uyo or even Owerri. Unlike Enugu, these towns/cities draw people who come from all over the country to have a nice time. We know how the government of Cross River have invested heavily in the Calabar Christmas festival. We know how they have setup Tinapa in Calabar and how they have made the city the link to Obu Cattle Ranch. We know how Uyo has become the conference headquarter of the east. Everyday we hear how that city is hosting one conference or the other. Enugu despite not being a commercial or industrial city is not doing any of these. These are the things that Calm cities like Enugu are known for. Hosting important meetings and conferences and boasting of world class hotels. We need to take our expectations higher instead of deluding ourselves that Enugu is better than Kano. if it was better, how come you don't hear people from other parts of the country saying "I used to live in Enugu" or "My Famuily stays in Enugu" or "I'm based in Enugu" etc. That's because there's nothing that will keep you there. You're better off going to base in benin than staying in Enugu and that's the truth. We have a city that have promise and we have to nuture it and the government have to do their own part of the bargain. Thank God the international airport is coming along. Thank God more roads are being built. We need a monorail or something similar. We need industries and businesses and not shops and kiosks. Big Igbo buisiness men should start investing in the east for God's sake. We need to put Enugu at a pedestal where it will compete with the best in the world. Enough of all this boasting. We boast a lot. Let's get cracking.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ozonna(m): 11:40am On Aug 20, 2014
Guys si just saw this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1865201/iboland-donate-grazing-land-fulani now.

Every well meaning Igbo man (not just enugu indigene) should condemn this bill now and make sure it doesn't see the light of the day.

Those that have access to their representatives on the assembly should call them now and advise them to throw away that bill without wasting their time arguing about it.

We shouldn't allow this Eugene Odoh led House of Assembly to turn Enugu State to plateau or Nasarawa state in the near future.

Supporters of all political heavy weights here should call the attention of their bosses to this curse that a certain Chinedu Nwamba wants to bring to Enugu and help put a stop to this madness.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 11:40am On Aug 20, 2014
jbaur24: The only to achieve the aim of getting people to come and live in Enugu is to embark on wide scale industrialization of the state. That way people can migrate for job sake to live and work in Enugu State. The good number new industries springing up in Anambra vis-a-vis Sabmiller, Orient Petroleum, Krisoral Group, Orange Drugs, Distell SA etc has seen people from all over the country migrating to secure job and live in the state.

You see, i'm kinda dissapointed in all the cities in Igboland. Enugu is a residential city but not commercial. Onitsha is commercialized and industralized but is not liveable. When are we going to have Enugu in Onitsha and some industralization in Enugu. In my opinion, i think Onitsha and Aba have more promise to compete with other cities but they have to be made liveable.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 11:43am On Aug 20, 2014
Afam4eva:
You see, i'm kinda dissapointed in all the cities in Igboland. Enugu is a residential city but not commercial. Onitsha is commercialized and industralized but is not liveable. When are we going to have Enugu in Onitsha and some industralization in Enugu. In my opinion, i think Onitsha and Aba have more promise to compete with other cities but they have to be made liveable.
simple the issue is putting the enugu state government on their toes to aid the industrialization in the state.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by jbaur24: 11:46am On Aug 20, 2014
It depends on what you mean by 'unlivable' because a city as Lagos where some of you term unlivable are where at least 20% of Nigerian population are headed. So let us remove the much touted 'unlivable and livable' and start making our cities self-sustainable.

The cities you term unlivable is actually where you want to go and live while the cities you term livable are where people treat as a plague and actually the unlivable. As for Onitsha except you have not been there in the recent time then I will pardon your misinformation.

Afam4eva:

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 11:46am On Aug 20, 2014
asha80: simple the issue is putting the enugu state government on their toes to aid the industrialization in the state.
Most governors over there seem to be clueless. It's like the workability of a governor is determined by how much he can make his state beautiful and not how much he can industrialize his state. We need our governor to start thinking like business men.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 11:47am On Aug 20, 2014
Afam4eva:

^^^You have to put things in perspective: where we're coming from and what has been denied us as a region/people! If things continue like this in the next 5 years, only then would i start getting worried......by then, we'd have mainly ourselves to blame! I say 'mainly' because this country has to be restructured (and i don't mean the charade that was the national conference) for us to be truly free as a people!

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 11:47am On Aug 20, 2014
Thank God Afam saw what i saw. I was beginning to think everyother person was suffering from delusion... grin. Posting pics of indepence layout over and over again doesnt make Enugu ''World class''! Darn! Kano perharps has more skyscrapers than the enitire SE. And we all(atleast minus me) are here comparing mediocrity with ''Less Mediocre''! Na wa ooo sad

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by jbaur24: 11:48am On Aug 20, 2014
That is my point! You can keep sitting down and term your state a retirement state whereas you cannot actually see real businessmen or industrialist in the state. The biggest employer of labour in the state remains civil service commission and it is not healthy for the state to continue in this direction!

asha80: simple the issue is putting the enugu state government on their toes to aid the industrialization in the state.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by jbaur24: 11:50am On Aug 20, 2014
We are still saying the same thing. Nigerians are gullible!

Afam4eva:
Most governors over there seem to be clueless. It's like the workability of a governor is determined by how much he can make his state beautiful and not how much he can industrialize his state. We need our governor to start thinking like business men.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 11:50am On Aug 20, 2014
jbaur24: It depends on what you mean by 'unlivable' because a city as Lagos where some of you term unlivable are where at least 20% of Nigeria population are headed. So let us remove the much touted 'unlivable and livable' and start making our cities self-sustainable.

The cities you term unlivable is actually where you want to go and live while the cities you term livable are where people treat as a plague and actually the unlivable. As for Onitsha except you have not been there in the recent time then I will pardon your misinformation.

I heard Onitsha has gotten better but it's still not a place that i can live. It's still to commercialized for my liking without the very good residential areas to go with it. I also want Onitsha to have a mix of people. I want a university to be built there or something. There's a reason why some people work in Onitsha will rather live in Asaba.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 11:50am On Aug 20, 2014
Afam4eva:
isnt the second statement here what this thread is celebrating?i find it ironic you are saying it now.is it not what we foolishly celebrate here?

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 11:52am On Aug 20, 2014
asha80: isnt the second statement here what this thread is celebrating?i find it ironic you are saying it now.is it not what we foolishly celebrate here?
It's not a bad thing per se but we take it overboard as if that's the only thing to a city. A mixture of everything will be great to celebrate.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 11:54am On Aug 20, 2014
asha80: isnt the second statement here what this thread is celebrating?i find it ironic you are saying it now.is it not what we foolishly celebrate here?
I have no qualms with Enugu being a ''Residential state'' sort off. Surely you dont want all of Igboland to be like Onitsha and Aba, do you

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by jbaur24: 11:55am On Aug 20, 2014
I will still pardon you again because, you are use to internet to conclude your assertion. What most people know of Onitsha is the high-rise residential hoods, places as Awada, Fegge etc As for Asaba it is more or less a suburb of Onitsha, because the population of Onitsha is more than thrice of Asaba.

Below is one of the areas in Onitsha peopled by the middle class, I am very sure you are not better than the people resident here both in cash and otherwise. This is not even the GRA!

Afam4eva:
I heard Onitsha has gotten better but it's still not a place that i can live. It's still to commercialized for my liking without the very good residential areas to go with it. I also want Onitsha to have a mix of people. I want a university to be built there or something. [s]There's a reason why some people work in Onitsha will rather live in Asaba.[/s]

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 11:57am On Aug 20, 2014
Afam4eva:
It's not a bad thing per se but we take it overboard as if that's the only thing to a city. A mixture of everything will be great to celebrate.
INNOisBACK: I have no qualms with Enugu being a ''Residential state'' sort off. Surely you dont want all of Igboland to be like Onitsha and Aba, do you
Afam4eva:
you guys should no get me wrong but i find it funny that peeps that are from enugu or have ties to enugu that usually comment on this thread hardly ever talk about the inadequate industrialization of the state as if it is a taboo to do so.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 12:03pm On Aug 20, 2014
afam question for you....as an it man that wants to set up an it firm where would you locate your hq or where would you want to start up lagos or enugu?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 12:04pm On Aug 20, 2014
jbaur24: I will still pardon you again because, you are use to internet to conclude your assertion. What most people know of Onitsha is the high-rise residential hoods, places as Awada, Fegge etc As for Asaba it is more or less a suburb of Onitsha, because the population of Onitsha is more than thrice of Asaba.
Below is one of the areas in Onitsha peopled by the middle class, I am very sure you are not better than the people resident here both in cash and otherwise. This is not even the GRA!
You are indirectly belaboring my point. Why should Asaba be a surburb of Onitsha. Can't Onitsha itself have surbubs within? That's my point. Asaba can be a surburb of Onitsha but it will never be counted as Onitsha. Some parts of Maryland, USA are called surburbs of Washington DC but they're never counted as DC.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by rafindo(m): 12:06pm On Aug 20, 2014
asha80: @rafindo there cant be mayor in any city in present day nigeria so your system cant work at the moment.
.if u get where my point is going then u neednt reply me.the comment was to buttress the point that no city in the se will develop rapidly with slogans like is it only onitsha,it is our turn,the capital town must be develope first.brazil capital is not the most develope cities in brazil not trail behind sao paulo,rio de janeiro,porte alegre,savador becos government develope the cities base on priorities nt village sentiment.onitsha in a sane society should receive more attention than awka,even nnewi deserve more attention than awka.awka can only be built when all these towns hav reache their saturation point or with a magical oil money such as abuja.in a good society development agendas are been setup or propagated by the media outfit or development pundits like u,afam4eva nd spyder but unfortunately the pundit allow the politicians dictate the dance.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 12:11pm On Aug 20, 2014
asha80: afam question for you....as an it man that wants to set up an it firm where would you locate your hq or where would you want to start up lagos or enugu?
I've actually thought about this several times. I've always boasted about how i will cite all my businesses in the east but it's not that easy but i'm ready to sacrifice to make a point but the question is, how far i'm i ready to sacrifice. The truth is that, every business is setup for maximum traffic and i will definitely have my main office in Lagos if it's a walk-in kinda office or an office where location matters. But i will definitely have the headquarters in Enugu. But if i want to setup something like an administrative office, factory or industry, it will definitely be in Enugu or anywhere in the east. I can bear the pain of transporting the goods to different parts of the country or have showrroms all over the country depending on the kind of product. Microsoft for instance, ios headquartered in Seattle, Washington not New York, LA or Chicago. CNN is headquartered in Atlanta georgia, not New York, Los Angeles or DC and that is because these are not necessarily walk in offices but mainly for administrative purposes.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 12:20pm On Aug 20, 2014
INNOisBACK: The Comments on the last 3 pages of this thread caught my attention but i couldnt reply, as my original handle is serving a ban. Anyways here's what i wish to clarify quickly!

1. About bikes in Anambra
Chino definitely over exaggerated when he said about 98% of the riders arent from the state, though a huge chunk of them are from the north(Kogi,Benue and Plateau) and neighbouring states, but most operators in the rural areas are from their individual communities.

But of all comments here, the most myopic and perharps stup.id was the one comparing Enugu with Kano!

Guys, seriously? undecided There's a big difference between being ''Patriotic'' and being ''Delusional'' and it's unfortunate that most posters here have decided to go with the later.

Take this from me, Kaduna alone perharps trumps all what Enugu has got, comparing it with Kano is tantmount to insulting that city.
Abagoro tried making you guys see the truth but some still chose to be Delusional

I don talk my own finish... Oya the insults can start!
grin

I have been to both Kano and Enugu and I know Kano is definitely bigger than Enugu in landmass. That is where the advantages end.Aside from roads put there by successive military juntas, it is more of comparing a huge slum to a proper city. Everything else is a hype!
Nigeria is a nation full of BIG lies and hypes told repeatedly in the hope that repeating it somehow makes it truthful. Officially, Nigeria's 5 biggest cities from biggest to smallest is Lagos,Ibadan, Ogbomoso, Kano and PH. Now we know ain't no way this order is true! So stop telling us crap about Nigeria and statistics. It is one area Nigeria can never tell the truth.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) ... (705) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.