Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,776 members, 7,824,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (210) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1787045 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) ... (698) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by TamzyTamudo: 5:05pm On Aug 20, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Do that and they will say you hate Enugu people. The reason why Enugu Internally Generated Revenue hasn't seen any increase is because the governor has no vission. Chime is clueless,lets face it. Anybody can do what he is doing in Enugu. Whats there? Collect allocation,pay workers,use the rest to reconstruct and beautify Enugu city and maybe every now and then go to one village a build a single substandard road..lol
Chime's ineptitude has no comparison. And it infuriates me when people put his name down as one of the best performing governors. Some people love to live in denial.
If care is not taken Enugu will become an abandoned city...If what Obiano is trying to do succeeds. Enugu people are too laid back and that is affecting their advancement.
ndi igbo kwuenu!! Ndi igbo kwuenu!! Ndi igbo kwuezuenu!! This is my first time commenting on this post by quoting this my blood brother,mind u I am not from enugu state,I am from imo where our governor choosed to follow buhari whom refused to give us oguta seaport in his military era SMH!!,I want to urge everyone not to give up on enugu,enugu in 1 or 2 years time will be an haven of coal mining and this will cause a mass influx of people from other places making it a cosmopolitan city as it was in the colonial era,the enugu state government will make good IGR from it and will also use part of the coal for power generation,with enugu coal alone the whole eastern nigeria can be light up with stable electricity after all brazi,SA,china,India etc use mostly coal generated power plants which is more reliable than gas,with this many company will spring up in the city,the Akanu ibiam international airport (AIIA)will be full functional for foreigners to fly in direct to the city because of the coal mine by then our enemies(nigeria) whose intention was to cut us away from the world by land locking us and brain washing our only worthy access to sea(ikwere)must have realized they eventually failed,enugu holds a very large potential of alaigbo so it should not be written off and those that speaks bad of the IGBO race shall all come back someday for reconciliation,I wish u guys can see what I see in the future of the IGBO race. All u guys debate about here shall be achieved in the nearest future,so my brothers keep this in your heart and always remember a brother revealed this prophecy...........

9 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by basilo101: 5:09pm On Aug 20, 2014
abagoro: Many Igbos surprise me with their views despite my believe that we are the most widely travelled. Kano is a developed modern city and the GRA is finer than all the GRAs in the Southeast. It is also far more cosmopolitan in both ethnic and racial mix than all parts of Nigeria except Lagos, Rivers and Abuja.

That said Kano probably has the highest number of absolute poor people in Nigeria and has so many slum districts that encourage spread of diseases, Religious violence and extremism. Enugu all round is more liveable than Kano but never as developed.
d slums r villages at d outskirts b4 u enta d city. No slum inside d city lyk obiagu or abakpa
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 5:14pm On Aug 20, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Do that and they will say you hate Enugu people. The reason why Enugu Internally Generated Revenue hasn't seen any increase is because the governor has no vission. Chime is clueless,lets face it. Anybody can do what he is doing in Enugu. Whats there? Collect allocation,pay workers,use the rest to reconstruct and beautify Enugu city and maybe every now and then go to one village a build a single substandard road..lol
Chime's ineptitude has no comparison. And it infuriates me when people put his name down as one of the best performing governors. Some people love to live in denial.
If care is not taken Enugu will become an abandoned city...If what Obiano is trying to do succeeds. Enugu people are too laid back and that is affecting their advancement.

Obiano hasn't started doing anything, he's just making noise. At least Chime has done to the best of his ability (even if you insist his vision is limited). When Obiano accomplishes something tangible, tell us - spare us the praise singing.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 5:17pm On Aug 20, 2014
kostadinis:

The AIIA is certainly the major facility that is expected to transform Enugu into a vibrant city. This said, the potential strategic threat to the AIIA by the Onitsha/Nnewi/Asaba industrial triangle is often neglected. The triangle is the fastest growing commercial/industrial axis in the SE/SS after the Trans Amadi ind. Layout in PH. This is so much so that the number of airlines flying into Asaba airport has surpassed Enugu in less than two years of the airport's operation. Overland, Arik and Aero are currently locked in a tight competition at Asaba as against two airlines to Enugu.

It wasn't long the Delta state government revealed the state's plan to start scheduled Asaba-Far East flights, especially to Singapore. This was instructive. It got many AIIA enthusiasts worried, but not everyone as the Onitsha and Nnewi chambers of commerce have had a good working relationship with current business savvy Delta state governor. On the other hand, Enugu and Asaba are two native Igbo cities. And so makes it tricky to say much on the subject.....reminiscent of the relocation of Nollywood to Asaba.

However, the fate of AIIA if an international flight was to take off from Asaba is better not imagined. Some form of agreement must have to be reached in this regard. But this can be quite difficult in view of the fact that Anioma state is yet to be created. It will be difficult to discuss such an issue with a non Igbo governor at the Asaba government house.

As the political capital city of Ndigbo, it is our collective responsibility to make the city of Enugu work. While banking on the AIIA, current and future governments of Enugu should strive to do more in the areas of FDI and industrialisation. Like you said, real investments.
now is is strategic thinking..if far east international flights starts in asaba airport it would affect the AIIA because those biz men from oinitsha,nnewi and asaba triangle would rather use asaba simply because of distance....enugu state and ebonyi really need heavy fdis and local biz men investing in thetwo states....even if abia finally get a governor with a brain and turns aba and its envrirons to what it is supposed to be,biz men in this area would still prefer ph international airport to enugu simply because of distanxce.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by abagoro(m): 5:23pm On Aug 20, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

There's this problem we have in Igboland which was created by some ignorant Igbos about artificial State boundaries. The truth is that Igbos generally have Abakaliki as there Agricultural/mining capital, Onitsha and Aba as commercial capitals, Enugu as administrative capital and Owerri as tourism capital. If Igbos can work baring this in mind, then our chances of developing as a block is possible.

Chris Nwabueze Ngige change system of governance in Igboland when he decided to tackle the issue of typical red earth rural roads which was the norms in Igbo villages. Peter Obi came in and rather than stop, decided to continue with Chris Ngige's idea of making rural areas accessible. It is the same thing Rochas Okorocha has done and is still doing in Imo State but he even went further by dualising highway linking Orlu and Owerri, another linking Orlu and Akokwa and another linking Owerri with Aba(though now taken over by FG). However Governorship is not all about road as education, job creation, agriculture, health and lots more is involved.

Enugu will always remain our administrative capital and can never turn to highly commercial or highly industrial like Aba. Nnewi people made a mark by deciding to site their factories at home and the credit should never be given to any Governor or Government as some people have been attempting to do. The environment in Nnewi was not and is still not conducive. There are no good wide roads, planned industrial layouts, special Government bank loans or Government housing schemes. It remains a self-help and patriotic effort. All Igbos need to emulate the Nnewi people and come back home for major investments while you make your money abroad.

9 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 5:28pm On Aug 20, 2014
asha80: now is is strategic thinking..if far east international flights starts in asaba airport it would affect the AIIA because those biz men from oinitsha,nnewi and asaba triangle would rather use asaba simply because of distance....enugu state and ebonyi really need heavy fdis and local biz men investing in thetwo states....even if abia finally get a governor with a brain and turns aba and its envrirons to what it is supposed to be,biz men in this area would still prefer ph international airport to enugu simply because of distanxce.

Very difficult for international flights from Asaba - runway is too short. If Anambra builds an airport at Umueri side, Asaba will lose a lot of business.

Asaba has hilly topography while Aguleri/Umuleri is flat - only thing needed is a governor with foresight in Anambra.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by tandj: 5:35pm On Aug 20, 2014

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by tandj: 5:37pm On Aug 20, 2014
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 5:38pm On Aug 20, 2014
basilo101:
d slums r villages at d outskirts b4 u enta d city. No slum inside d city lyk obiagu or abakpa
obiagu and abakpa are ancestral home of nkanu people,they dont have any other land to call home,do you evict them?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by jbaur24: 5:39pm On Aug 20, 2014
Abagworo can you have a discussion without mentioning Anambra and its people? Or you can focus the discussion on your state. I make bold to say that there is no single motorable rural road in Imo state, ask Arondizogu, Uzoagba, Okigwe, Orlu etc..

If you think that these companies in and around Nnewi and Onitsha came without government providing roads and infrastructures for there kick-start then you are being silly: (Innoson, Sabmiller, Orient Petroleum, Distell SA, Krisoral Group, Orange Drugs) etc.

The road you are referring as Okorosha project is actually FG project though abandoned just like the federal road in Owerre. Okorosha have not achieved anything since he came to power 3years ago. He only succeeded in painting few roads in the state capital while greater part of the urban roads are still in shamble coupled with the abandoned street gates here and there. Orlu and Okigwe are still mess because I was around there recently and actually took some pictures.

Stop spreading false information and trying so hard to place Okorosha where he does not belong. Apart from the fact that Orji has some image dents here and there but he has not borrowed a dime for 8years whereas Okorosha has borrowed over 200billion within 3yrs but we are still searching everywhere to find what he used the funds on. I will always place Orji ahead of Okorosha because the former didn't borrow and did some work and the later borrowed heavily and frittered!

abagoro:
There's this problem we have in Igboland which was created by some ignorant Igbos about artificial State boundaries. The truth is that Igbos generally have Abakaliki as there Agricultural/mining capital, Onitsha and Aba as commercial capitals, Enugu as administrative capital and Owerri as tourism capital. If Igbos can work baring this in mind, then our chances of developing as a block is possible.

Chris Nwabueze Ngige change system of governance in Igboland when he decided to tackle the issue of typical red earth rural roads which was the norms in Igbo villages. Peter Obi came in and rather than stop, decided to continue with Chris Ngige's idea of making rural areas accessible. It is the same thing Rochas Okorocha has done and is still doing in Imo State but he even went further by dualising highway linking Orlu and Owerri, another linking Orlu and Akokwa and another linking Owerri with Aba(though now taken over by FG). However Governorship is not all about road as education, job creation, agriculture, health and lots more is involved.

Enugu will always remain our administrative capital and can never turn to highly commercial or highly industrial like Aba. Nnewi people made a mark by deciding to site their factories at home and the credit should never be given to any Governor or Government as some people have been attempting to do. The environment in Nnewi was not and is still not conducive. There are no good wide roads, planned industrial layouts, special Government bank loans or Government housing schemes. It remains a self-help and patriotic effort. All Igbos need to emulate the Nnewi people and come back home for major investments while you make your money abroad.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Unemadu: 5:41pm On Aug 20, 2014
Afam4eva:
Most governors over there seem to be clueless. It's like the workability of a governor is determined by how much he can make his state beautiful and not how much he can industrialize his state. We need our governor to start thinking like business men.

Government cannot create industries unless ofcourse you are china or some communist country. All what needs to be done is to attract serious minded businesses by creating the environment which i believe Enugu is doing. Mind you much more industrialized states in Nigeria are so because of obvious reasons and not because of govt intervention.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by omicron(m): 5:43pm On Aug 20, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

It is not as simplistic as you have made it seem. You should that know every City has its potentials and history.

You cannot know Enugu so well and expect it to rival Anambra in terms of commerce and industry. Now, that is not to mean that some level of industrialisation is not to be expected or desired of the city. Indeed, Enugu is not completely unindustrialised.

Personally my highest expection of Enugu in terms of economic vibrancy is to see a well developed and industrised agricultural sector, as well as the reactivation of the Coal industry

I also do not agree with your dismisal of the works of Chime. What he accomplished is much more than what you have implied them to be. He has done his lot. The question is, what will the next governor do? So that by nxt July we can all be saying....''if what _____is trying to do succeeds''.

What is Obiano trying to do?

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Unemadu: 5:47pm On Aug 20, 2014
INNOisBACK: Thank God Afam saw what i saw. I was beginning to think everyother person was suffering from delusion... grin. Posting pics of indepence layout over and over again doesnt make Enugu ''World class''! Darn! Kano perharps has more skyscrapers than the enitire SE. And we all(atleast minus me) are here comparing mediocrity with ''Less Mediocre''! Na wa ooo sad

For the record no one says Enugu is a world class city neither do i think Kano is nor Lagos. What we are saying is that Enugu is a darn cool city ok and we appreciate the little effort the govt is trying to put the place in order so that people like you INNO can invest there.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 5:48pm On Aug 20, 2014
kostadinis:

The AIIA is certainly the major facility that is expected to transform Enugu into a vibrant city. This said, the potential strategic threat to the AIIA by the Onitsha/Nnewi/Asaba industrial triangle is often neglected. The triangle is the fastest growing commercial/industrial axis in the SE/SS after the Trans Amadi ind. Layout in PH. This is so much so that the number of airlines flying into Asaba airport has surpassed Enugu in less than two years of the airport's operation. Overland, Arik and Aero are currently locked in a tight competition at Asaba as against two airlines to Enugu.

It wasn't long the Delta state government revealed the state's plan to start scheduled Asaba-Far East flights, especially to Singapore. This was instructive. It got many AIIA enthusiasts worried, but not everyone as the Onitsha and Nnewi chambers of commerce have had a good working relationship with current business savvy Delta state governor. On the other hand, Enugu and Asaba are two native Igbo cities. And so makes it tricky to say much on the subject.....reminiscent of the relocation of Nollywood to Asaba.

However, the fate of AIIA if an international flight was to take off from Asaba is better not imagined. Some form of agreement must have to be reached in this regard. But this can be quite difficult in view of the fact that Anioma state is yet to be created. It will be difficult to discuss such an issue with a non Igbo governor at the Asaba government house.

As the political capital city of Ndigbo, it is our collective responsibility to make the city of Enugu work. While banking on the AIIA, current and future governments of Enugu should strive to do more in the areas of FDI and industrialisation. Like you said, real investments.

Conjectures and primitive fears are the problem we face in Igboland which were unfortunately inherited from our mentality of dealing with the cheating going on in Nigeria. I remember when some transporters rallied together to frustrate an airport in Oba or anywhere in Anambra claiming it will ruin their business and take ALL their passengers! grin
Since Asaba airport, we know how false that conjecture was! Same way Yorubas screamed that an International route in Enugu will kill Lagos airport! I am waiting for the day that there would be no passengers in Lagos because of Enugu! The funny thing is that a second intl. airport is bring built in Lekki, yet nobody is complaining that it would take Lagos airport passengers!

Ask yourself why does the International airport in Cotonou and Lome survive since there is a bigger intl. airport in Lagos less than 100 miles away? The truth is that international airlines don't conduct business like motor parks. They look at the routes versus the passenger traffic.

So eventually, Asaba will be a busier intl. airport than Enugu, but will not stop Enugu from operating. Just as Asaba will evetually be busier than Kano, PH and Abuja, but won't stop people from using those airports.
It may have Emirates and Many Eastern sirlines which may be preferable for traders going to Dubai or China, while other Igbos in the Western Hemisphere may prefer Enugu via KLM, Air France etc. remember that 90% of Igbos in the Western Hemisphere prefer connecting from Lagos, because Addis Ababa is way too far.

So there is room for every city to grow. The unfortunate mentality that we have inherited from Nigeria that I can only make it by killing you is indeed an unfortunate conjecture.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Unemadu: 5:53pm On Aug 20, 2014
asha80: well i hope you can walk the talk..there is a reason i asked that question because i have come across seve igbo people who will shout that igbos need to industrialize heavily in the south east but meet the them at a lonely or sober time you will hear or see them making plans to site outfits in lagos rather than the east and you begin to question their lamentation before...point is the issue lies in us individuals and not in any government or politician...nnewi is an example of walking the talk.

Lovely post. people will just talk and talk meanwhile they cant invest a dime there waiting for govt to do it for them.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by tandj: 5:53pm On Aug 20, 2014

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Unemadu: 6:00pm On Aug 20, 2014
rafindo: .stop deceiving ur self with these postwar mantras.if u need development u fight hard for one,nt these delusional mindset of urs

Sweet!!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 6:02pm On Aug 20, 2014
Unemadu:

Lovely post. people will just talk and talk meanwhile they cant invest a dime there waiting for govt to do it for them.
mehn those kind talks dey irritate me.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 6:07pm On Aug 20, 2014
tandj:
Pls what happened to the oba international airport of yonder yrs promised?
Is it a dead issue now?

Thought a land mass has been mappd out for it

Won't happen. It is far too near to Asaba to be workable. I heard transporters killed it.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 6:09pm On Aug 20, 2014
Unemadu:

For the record no one says Enugu is a world class city neither do i think Kano is nor Lagos. What we are saying is that Enugu is a darn cool city ok and we appreciate the little effort the govt is trying to put the place in order so that people like you INNO can invest there.
gringringrin
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by jbaur24: 6:11pm On Aug 20, 2014
The airport project moved to a new site (Otuocha-Igbariam-Nteje) axis. The new site is quite central!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 6:12pm On Aug 20, 2014
jbaur24: The airport project moved to a new site (Otuocha-Igbariam-Nteje) axis. The new site is quite central!

Is any airport going to be built?

Anambra governors are normally too shallow/don't have the kind of vision to make that sort of thing happen.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by jbaur24: 6:14pm On Aug 20, 2014
I don't know what you think but what I know and I have seen is that Obiano has awarded the road to the airport site towards Otuocha axis.

“Also, an airport which will sell aviation fuel will be built” and by next week, Obiano said, he would flag off construction of a dual carriage way to the airport."

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2014/06/obiano-lobbies-anambras-inclusion-among-oil-producing-states/

HappyJoe:

Is any airport going to be built?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Unemadu: 6:15pm On Aug 20, 2014
asha80: now is is strategic thinking..if far east international flights starts in asaba airport it would affect the AIIA because those biz men from oinitsha,nnewi and asaba triangle would rather use asaba simply because of distance....enugu state and ebonyi really need heavy fdis and local biz men investing in thetwo states....even if abia finally get a governor with a brain and turns aba and its envrirons to what it is supposed to be,biz men in this area would still prefer ph international airport to enugu simply because of distanxce.

This is really thought provoking so i dare say that Enugu shouldnt depend on AIIA alone because of these scenarios you gave. it a bitter pill to swallow but then it should propel us to think deeper.

We have enough igbo cities that have the commercial/ industrial potentials much more than Enugu so i will prefer for Enugu to focus on Service/Entertainment/Health sectors

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by jazzydee: 6:18pm On Aug 20, 2014
3dankey: I have commented just once on this thread and will like to air my views again. Listen my IGBO BROTHERS, the only way we can attain this kind of height's that we all wish for,Is to have a FUNCTIONAL SEAPORT on our own. Jonathan gave us an international airport good, but we need a seaport. Only peter obi was even serious about it when he was in office and I still blame him for not persuading jonathan enough to complete the dredging of the river niger (don't know if I am correct) that would have made onitsha seaport a reality. We don't need a river port please.
I can also remember when he was the chairman of southeast governors forum: their was a resolution then from 1 of their meetings for the FEDERAL government to complete the seaport in akwa ibom(ABAKA not sure of the name) and link it by RAIL to ABA and other south east states. Now he is no longer there, don't know what the clueless/useless orji is doing. When ever I see us insulting ourselves I almost give up, we are IGBO's and should learn to love ourself (let's stop all this ANAMBRA better than enugu fight) instead let us complement ourselves.
Now take it or leave, there have being a grand plan to frustrate the IGBO's for a long time starting with ENUGU,ONITSHA, and ABA. Thank God we got an INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, not enough until we get that seaport. A seaport in south east or close to the east like akwa ibom, will change the whole of IGBO land in less than 3 years. Just wish our governors are seeing this things we discussing here and can achieve it.
NOTE: achieving this will not be easy, remember stella odua (only for international airport oooo). For this expect enough blackmail and other things from those that do not want to see any thing good in the east. I rest my case and hope that one day a seaport close to the east and linked my RAIL will be a reality.

There is a seaport in onne rivers state that is close to igbo land and portharcout is linked by rail to Aba, Enugu all the way to maidugri. the rail is being rehabilitated at the moment, I think the part from PH to enugu is completed.

By the way the deep sea port At Ibaka Akwa Ibom, is what everyone from the former eastern region and all other parts of Nigeria farther away from lagos should support. because it will change the economy of the eastern part of Nigeria. Besides its strategic importance, it will serve as a transshipment point because of its Natural draught and access to the Open ocean which will allow the largest ships in the world to berth without any need for constant port maintenance ie dredging which has been the bane of most ports in Nigeria. the trans shipment points will now make all other ports in Nigeria which are accessible by smaller ships/barges functional.

onitisha, calabar, warri, onne, and even the proposed port in Abia state will all become viable in cluding all the surrounding african countries around that flank as they will simply get their goods from ibaka and transport it with smaller ships/barges to the respective ports.
A deep seaport is what Nigeria needs.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by rafindo(m): 6:21pm On Aug 20, 2014
omicron:

I thought you understood the correction Afam tried to give you.

You cannot say Onitsha is expanding to Okpanam, Ibusa and co. It is wrong and somewhat arrogant to say that, with all due respect.

None of Asaba or Ontisha is expanding to or being taken up by the other, in geographical sense. Each is a town on its own right with different history and potentials. Onitsha can not 'expand' westwards more than it has already done, and Asaba has 'expanded' eastwards as much as it is....

Asaba is the town expanding to Ibusa, Okpanam and co, not Onitsha!

I know we all like to praise our towns and re-emphasise their potentials and glories, but we should also not appear to be over-doing it.
.we should use the prism of regional integration in assessing these points.in a very structured political mathematics nd geography.onitsha metropolitan area comprises okpanam,ibusa,asaba,nkpor,nteje,umunya,ogbunike,ogidi,obosi,oba.these are how mega cities are created.a global investor see it as one economic hub.forget all these armchair cartographer.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 6:24pm On Aug 20, 2014
omicron:

I thought you understood the correction Afam tried to give you.

You cannot say Onitsha is expanding to Okpanam, Ibusa and co. It is wrong and somewhat arrogant to say that, with all due respect.

None of Asaba or Ontisha is expanding to or being taken up by the other, in geographical sense. Each is a town on its own right with different history and potentials. Onitsha can not 'expand' westwards more than it has already done, and Asaba has 'expanded' eastwards as much as it is....

Asaba is the town expanding to Ibusa, Okpanam and co, not Onitsha!

I know we all like to praise our towns and re-emphasise their potentials and glories, but we should also not appear to be over-doing it.

You are partly right but i think i understand his perspective.
Asaba before it was made the state capital owes its economic relevance to Onitsha.

If not for Onitsha, Asaba's economic relevance will be comparable to Awka, there is no arrogance in that.

Asaba gained additional influence when it was made a state capital, before then it was grossly overshadowed by Onitsha and even considered a suburb.

This happened not only to Asaba but other surrounding towns, and they too may not be happy about it but it is a fact.

These towns have somewhat merged.

Asaba by virtue of being made the state capital however became revived once again.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by jbaur24: 6:24pm On Aug 20, 2014
Attraction of FDIs and Industrialization of South-East is the only way to go if we wish to have jobs in our region.

Below is Sabmiller facility

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by omicron(m): 6:36pm On Aug 20, 2014
eaglechild:

You are partly right but i think i understand his perspective.
Asaba before it was made the state capital owes its economic relevance to Onitsha.

If not for Onitsha, Asaba's economic relevance will be comparable to Awka, there is no arrogance in that.

Asaba gained additional influence when it was made a state capital, before then it was grossly overshadowed by Onitsha and even considered a suburb.

This happened not only to Asaba but other surrounding towns, and they too may not be happy about it but it is a fact.

These towns have somewhat merged.

Asaba by virtue of being made the state capital however became revived once again.
In terms of commerce and development, onitsha has always been the bigger horse. Commercially, is it true and right that onitsha has expanded to Asaba, but never in terms of geography (which was what Joe's assertion appeared to suggest).

Before being the state capital, Asaba was a 'village town'. Its development infrastructurally as it is today is because of its status as state capital. Socially and commercially, its development is derived in part due to its proximity to onitsha.

Although, there is still the argument that Onitsha is under-commercialising Asaba, but that is a different arguement all together.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 6:41pm On Aug 20, 2014
Unemadu:

This is really thought provoking so i dare say that Enugu shouldnt depend on AIIA alone because of these scenarios you gave. it a bitter pill to swallow but then it should propel us to think deeper.

We have enough igbo cities that have the commercial/ industrial potentials much more than Enugu so i will prefer for Enugu to focus on Service/Entertainment/Health sectors
if your last paragraph would attract more high networth individuals to settle in enugu and environs so be it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) ... (698) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.