Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (212) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1786917 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) ... (698) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 12:48pm On Aug 22, 2014
Enugu kwenu! grin

Our badge of honour grin

11 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 12:52pm On Aug 22, 2014
The government is scattering bus stop stands like it's going out of fashion, very close proximity to each other.

8 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 12:55pm On Aug 22, 2014
Emene old road, around Ekochin industrial hospitals. Another base for a new bus stop, You can see the road marking team in action in the distance.

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 1:01pm On Aug 22, 2014
spyder880: The government is scattering bus stop stands like it's going out of fashion, very close proximity to each other.

^^^Spyder bros, there's a reason they are in close proximity.......it's for buses going in opposite directions! wink

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 1:01pm On Aug 22, 2014
Central business district, Ogui road, Enugu.

Can somebody introduce a law to force these landlords to renovate their roof, sorry, houses on the road. If you try to buy the building, they will refuse as always. Prices of road front properties like these downstairs are around N50 million at least grin

8 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 1:04pm On Aug 22, 2014
spyder880: This is the type of grasses sprouting from the gaps. Right or wrong?
This is so so so unsightly angry angry angry angry angry

What is ESWAMA doing about this.

I wish i was in Enugu i would have driven straight to their office right away.

Their needs to be a permanent maintenance solution put in place for this unless it will just be in vain.

This is sooooo annoying.

Oga Spyder (or indeed anyone) can you pleeeeeese sacrifice to take that trip.

I have done it before when refuse was dumped on a part of Okpara Square for up to a week, I went to ESWAMA and complained in writing took about 5mins and by next morning the refuse that had been their close to a week was gone.

Thank you Spyder for this exposition.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 1:09pm On Aug 22, 2014
spyder880: Someone is even making a half hearted attempt to manually pull the grasses cheesy

^^^Must be someone that regularly visits this thread! He may have read what we said on the wrong type of grass growing there and decided to take matters into his own hands......literally! smiley

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 6:04pm On Aug 22, 2014
spyder880: Emene old road, around Ekochin industrial hospitals. Another base for a new bus stop, You can see the road marking team in action in the distance.

Beautiful !!!
Our Papa and Mama can sit comfortably in a bus stop while waiting for a bus or taxi to come by! Splendid!!!
I thank the Peoples' governor for this great consideration of our older folks.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ak47mann(m): 6:45pm On Aug 22, 2014
spyder880: Enugu kwenu! grin

Our badge of honour grin
Beautyful now i know why nollywood movies are mostly produce in Enugu cool

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 7:01pm On Aug 22, 2014
Old park, Enugu.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by kostadinis: 8:03pm On Aug 22, 2014
cjrane:

The port in Obiaku, Abia state holds the ace. If you have ever closely looked at the Nigerian map, that river in question is about 500 to 600 meters wide and flows directly into the ocean via the Onne port, without the usual bends and dissipation as small tributaries other rivers have as they approach the ocean. A little dredging will do the wonders.
The other one that holds promise is the Ibeno Beach in Afikpo on the Cross river. That may require a lot of dredging though to have it functional.
The Onitsha port has the advantage of being situated in a commercial city. Thus whatever it costs to bring goods there may be absorbed by business men. But the disadvantage is that the numerous tributaries to the ocean are narrow and full of bends.
Either way, do not believe the manipulators that lie to you that the SE has no access to the sea. They exactly know these routes and have been working silently to use state creations to close them completely.

Imagine that they want to create an 'oil rivers state' yet they want Igboland oil areas as Andoni to be included ! It's not just about a desire to seize all the Igbo oil producing communities along the southern River Niger, it is also about their desire to completely remove Igbo control from parts of our land leading to the sea. So that their lie that Igboland has no access to the sea can finally be achieved.

Andoni is a non Igbo speaking community different from Ndoni but all in Rivers State. I think Ibeno beach is in Akwa Ibom while Unwana beach is the one on the cross river in Afikpo, if I could remember. I thought the Azumini river at Obuaku empties into the Opobo estuary at a short distance through tiny Annang villages. I doubt the Onne angle to it...I don't think so.

Concerning the Oil Rivers state issue, I don't forsee any change in the mentality of the Igbo communities down there. We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that we are dealing with a bunch who still feels it's cool to deny their identity.

I was born and brought up at Fegge area of Onitsha, and at a time the area was dominated by the Ogbaru people. There was a large Ndoni (Ndi Onuiyi) community and even Ukwuani. Many of their kids were my school mates and both our parents interacted very well. The Ndoni community was like any other Igbo community residing then at Onitsha...infact, i really weep for Ndigbo. Nigeria is a bad news, it has destroyed the very fabric of the Igbo nation.

I don't know how many people in Igboland that are still aware that Ndoni has a strong historical affinity with Nnewi in Anambra state. The male arch divinity of Nnewi community, the EZEMEWI deity, has its origins in Ndoni. My maternal grand father used to recall how the EZEMEWI was greeted in the old days with the chantings "Ugiri nwe onye Ndoni, Ugiri nwe onye Olu!". And the story of visits and cultural exchanges through the creeks of Oraifite via the River Niger. All that have disappeared in crude oil politics.

Back to the main subject. At the moment Ijaw is desperate for one more state and couldn't find enough land space and people to secure the deal at the Confab. The SW, Edo and Itshekiri have refused to cede parts of their lands. Hence with GEJ's nod, they decided to swap the Orashi state that was initially approved for Egbema, Ahuda, Ogba and Ndoni for an Oil Rivers state with the sole aim of consoling the Ijaw with the new state's capital at the coast - infrastructure advantage. This move will however render the current Rivers state landlocked while usurping parts of Akwaibom state. I don't know if am correct but the new map appears to indicate so.

This being the case, the most effective method ever deployed to cut Ndigbo's route to the sea was the use of Ndigbo to achieve the act. This has proven to be potent since 1970. Come to think of it, if the Odilis and Nwuches in Ndoni and Ahoada are keeping quiet, why should anyone lose sleep over an Oil Rivers state?

Obuaku in Abia state is afterall less than 10 nautical miles to the sea, closer than the PH wharf to the sea. There's every reason for every Igbo to celebrate this moment of hope, over the up coming three new states in the Igbo heartland. Especially Nsukka for me, which I have read about its temperate climate. I can't wait to see this town develope into a beautiful state capital. The great Zik must have enjoyed so much of the weather.

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 8:09pm On Aug 22, 2014
Emmm....... can't I get more candy bars? I need to buy some great gift for my children and loved ones back in Nigeria.

I am at North Sussex, England now grin

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 8:13pm On Aug 22, 2014
Spyder posting from Harrold, North England cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 8:24pm On Aug 22, 2014
spyder880: Spyder posting from Harrold, North England cheesy
Bia Spyder,
Jokes aside, this store beats the one in England o! Is this in the Enugu Mall?
Jirikwa nwayo n'eme enjoy! grin

Kostadinis,
Thank you for the beautiful, well expressed post and the correction, Ndoni not Andoni. Yes, i meant Ndoni the Igbos in the group.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 8:31pm On Aug 22, 2014
spyder880: Emmm....... can't I get more candy bars? I need to buy some great gift for my children and loved ones back in Nigeria.

I am at North Sussex, England now grin

^^^The price tags on the shelves give away your location Spyder! Unless of course the rate of inflation has hit 1000% in the last few days in England, i'd wager a safe bet that you're still in Enugu! wink

Chei! Enugu kids are enjoying! See all those nice toy trucks and jeeps!! shocked

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 8:43pm On Aug 22, 2014
Most Ndoni acknowledge that we're Igbo! It's just maybe a few that have been caught up in Rivers politics that wouldn't admit it so openly.....so the Ijaws don't latch on to their admission and shout 'Igbo'!......Like Clark did to Dr Odili when he wanted to vie for the Presidency in 2007!

My Dad, all my Uncles and Aunts, and so many of my Dads childhood friends grew up and went to school in Onitsha! We have a close affinity with the place, and i remember the family names my Dad used to mention (Osanakpo, Odili......Onwa' Ndoni, Opene, Ifekandu, Amobi.....from Ogidi Royalty).....they were all his childhood friends growing up in Onitsha, and all had connections with Ndoni (either paternal or maternal)!

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 8:56pm On Aug 22, 2014
Afam4eva:
Haba bros, how can Onitsha comprise of a city outside the state of Anambra. Where's that done? Asaba and Onitsha are two different cities irrespective nof how intertwined they are. Asaba is the capital of another state and has nothing to do with Onitsha save for the closeness. let's stop this delusion.

Onitsha has existed before 'Anambra'. The same way that there's Yorubas in Benin Republic, there can be parts of Onitsha elsewhere. Not saying I agree or disagree but 'Anambra' and an artificial creation where as Onitsha isn't.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 9:01pm On Aug 22, 2014
great discussions on here, keep it up guys

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 10:17pm On Aug 22, 2014
We have to resist the abominable 'oil rivers state' at all costs. Our survival depends on it. The Ijaw have lost their minds. Unfortunately our 'leaders' are too unaware of what's happening around them for me to feel confident in their response.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 10:30pm On Aug 22, 2014
Ikengawo: We have to resist the abominable 'oil rivers state' at all costs. Our survival depends on it. The Ijaw have lost their minds. Unfortunately our 'leaders' are too unaware of what's happening around them for me to feel confident in their response.

^^^Our clueless/submissive leaders -from the end of the civil war to date- are a major part of our problem! Contrast them with leaders from other ethnicities/regions who kick up a fuss anytime there's even a hint that any of their privileges (whether deserved or not) may be taken away from them.....and they even go a step further to sabotage such ideas!

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 10:31pm On Aug 22, 2014
Ikengawo:

Onitsha has existed before 'Anambra'. The same way that there's Yorubas in Benin Republic, there can be parts of Onitsha elsewhere. Not saying I agree or disagree but 'Anambra' and an artificial creation where as Onitsha isn't.
These two cities have always being in different states or regions. It used to be Eastern region then East Central and Onitsha and Asaba have never been in the same administrative block despite the proximity. Apart from that, Asaba is still a city on it's own and has never been an appendage of Onitsha.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 10:53pm On Aug 22, 2014
IGBOSON1: Most Ndoni acknowledge that we're Igbo! It's just maybe a few that have been caught up in Rivers politics that wouldn't admit it so openly.....so the Ijaws don't latch on to their admission and shout 'Igbo'!......Like Clark did to Dr Odili when he wanted to vie for the Presidency in 2007!

My Dad, all my Uncles and Aunts, and so many of my Dads childhood friends grew up and went to school in Onitsha! We have a close affinity with the place, and i remember the family names my Dad used to mention (Osanakpo, Odili......Onwa' Ndoni, Opene, Ifekandu, Amobi.....from Ogidi Royalty).....they were all his childhood friends growing up in Onitsha, and all had connections with Ndoni (either paternal or maternal)!

Love this. So do you guys have access to the sea. God bless ndigbo and nigerians
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 10:58pm On Aug 22, 2014
Afam4eva:
These two cities have always being in different states or regions. It used to be Eastern region then East Central and Onitsha and Asaba have never been in the same administrative block despite the proximity. Apart from that, Asaba is still a city on it's own and has never been an appendage of Onitsha.

east central etc etc are all artificial too. There's nothing to say that Asaba and Onitsha are the same. Onitsha people speak a different igbo than their immediate neighbors so there's more of a chance in my opinion on Onitsha being an extension of Asaba if anything, it's just Onitsha end up being bigger and more successful. Either way I'm just theorizing and I don't think it's impossible. I will say that Asaba growth and size is based on it's proximity to Onitsha though for sure.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 11:36pm On Aug 22, 2014
Ikengawo:
east central etc etc are all artificial too. There's nothing to say that Asaba and Onitsha are the same. Onitsha people speak a different igbo than their immediate neighbors so there's more of a chance in my opinion on Onitsha being an extension of Asaba if anything, it's just Onitsha end up being bigger and more successful. Either way I'm just theorizing and I don't think it's impossible. I will say that Asaba growth and size is based on it's proximity to Onitsha though for sure.

Asaba's recent growth is due to 2 major factors:

1. State capital (with airport)
2. Proximity to Onitsha.

Only an economist can say which factor is more significant.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Jarchi(m): 11:49pm On Aug 22, 2014
God bless my oga spyder hustle jawe.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 12:07am On Aug 23, 2014
Ikengawo:

This is just like Buda & Pesti which ended up becoming one city - Budapest. Infrastructure like 2nd Niger Bridge will effectively create one city out of Onitsha & Asaba.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by tandj: 12:20am On Aug 23, 2014
Dp
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by tandj: 12:22am On Aug 23, 2014
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by tandj: 12:25am On Aug 23, 2014
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:55am On Aug 23, 2014
Bishop42:

What we need are those who naturally think outside the box such as the creative geniuses and open minded enterpreneurs. They can be found in all areas and not neccessary professionals. In the past many well learned people or so called profs swore that men could never fly , earth can never be round etc etc but you still have ordinary folks like wrights, galileo, steve jobs,enstein,mendel proving them wrong and doing impossible stuff.

Creative genius and open minded enterpreneurs (whether they are profs or ordinary folks)are all we need to turn thing around in the South East.

There are too many close minded Profs everywhere even with their first class qualifications

Great point which is why I also included business men & women, industrialists and entrepreneurs who necessarily doesn't have to be professional people. The beauty of Igbo people is we don't discriminate on formal educated and informal educated people. In fact, majority of Igbo wealth are held by informal educated, smart business minded people. So this is an all-mind, encompassing movement....every one will do their part. Professionals will play their part in areas that require technical expertise and non-professional, ordinary folk will play their respective part also.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 3:35am On Aug 23, 2014
BlackPikiN:

This is a near perfect idea. Is there a way to hold an annual 1-week summit for all igbo professionals (home and the diaspora) in Enugu or any other place in the SE, to deliberate and talk about the social and economic development in the SE? It should be headed, for a start by Soludo/Ezekwesili/Okonjo or someone who's a thorough bred professional.

I'm not aware if such group exists for the SE region.

I would like to see Obi of Onitsha and Sir Emeka Anyaoku champion this cause. Both with Peter Obi and many others played a monumental role in realizing Orient Petroleum and refinery in Anambra. If these two can champion the cause to build a local refinery in the SE, a cause I believe is not only monetary but immensely strategic in the event of another war...blockade? Obi of Onitsha will chair the board and Sir Emeka Anyaoku will lead the commission. These two people have distinguished themselves!

With respect to meeting, one of the strengths of Igbo people is our unity and organizations. There is no village, community, city, state, country you go and not find igbo unity in the form of associations. The "Igbo World Congress" in US is a powerful Igbo organization that has hosted every single SE governor past and present till date. No ethnic group in Nigeria has such a powerful diaspora organization except the Igbos.

My point is, we are united and is very easy to organize a meeting. If these two men can sell a regional development scheme, call a meeting, I assure you all Igbos at home and diaspora will be there.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 3:59am On Aug 23, 2014
kostadinis:

Obuaku in Abia state is afterall less than 10 nautical miles to the sea, closer than the PH wharf to the sea. There's every reason for every Igbo to celebrate this moment of hope, over the up coming three new states in the Igbo heartland. Especially Nsukka for me, which I have read about its temperate climate. I can't wait to see this town develope into a beautiful state capital. The great Zik must have enjoyed so much of the weather

Why do you think we need another state carved out from an existing very functioning state? Enugu is functioning very well and developing, why do we need to balkanize it further? A lot of people might disagree with me... I don't want any new Igbo states created from existing states...makes no sense strategically!

Anioma State is something we Igbos should be clamouring for as another state since it has to be carved out from Delta. The people in Asaba are majority Igbo and have always identified as Igbos. It will be close to Onitsha; so we need Asaba as another huge commercial town and for the water.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) ... (698) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.