Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,891 members, 7,817,618 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:40 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (273) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1783241 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) ... (697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by londoner: 1:02pm On Oct 04, 2014
spyder880:
Skate jumping, biking, everything. .......

I LOVE THIS !!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 1:16pm On Oct 04, 2014
I know some of you are interested in the Saturday morning jamboree, especially the chance to get closer to these beauties grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 1:48pm On Oct 04, 2014
spyder880:
Is there no punishment for messing up our bus stops with campaign posters?

10years imprisonment only will do.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 3:32pm On Oct 04, 2014
eaglechild:

Thank you Spyder, centje and all for keeping this thread alive.

Notice the flawless one side street packing in the picture.

Impressive.
you're welcome, dear!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 3:35pm On Oct 04, 2014
spyder880:
I know some of you are interested in the Saturday morning jamboree, especially the chance to get closer to these beauties grin grin
see babes kiss but most of them get pot belle grin
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 3:39pm On Oct 04, 2014
spyder880:
Is there no punishment for messing up our bus stops with campaign posters?
government should issue out a law to control this nuisance. It's usually very disgusting.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1756103_20141004072908_jpeg6234c97d2e36fd046a518f960095dc6c

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChimaAdeoye: 3:41pm On Oct 04, 2014
cjrane:

[size=15pt]This issue of defacing the environment with posters must stop.

The government should enact a law making it punishable to indiscriminately paste posters on government property such as these.Anyone who breaks that law must pay a fine of between N200,000 - N500,000 naira to the government depending on how extensive their vandalism of public property.

I saw a brand new bridge in Anambra completely defaced with posters. The culture and penchant to mindlessly deface and destroy public property must be addressed by government.
[/size]

Completely agree with you! I was in Aba and the entire concrete road divider along Asa road had been completely covered with all sorts of posters! The abuse of posters for church,campaign,nollywood traders, burial or even village announcement is a scourge that must be addressed. This anomaly has been tolerated and has persisted so long that our people now believe it is the proper way to make announcements or advertisements. Just as use of Okada for public transportation was tolerated so long that people didn't find it abnormal again.

The era that public property is nobody's property must end. Early this year while in Naija, I saw a group of boys burning refuse and old tires under the idemili bridge along Onitsha-Owerri express roads.At first, I thought it was an accident and the car ran off the bridge and was burning, then I saw the refuse heap of tires and other junk! I wondered why they just couldn't use any other available farmland, including open erosion gullies around the place, than under this highway bridge! Didn't they know the flames could weaken the steel and the bridge would collapse if a heavy truck passes over it? Did they know that it took more than 25 years of constant agitation,pleas,electoral promises, blackmail etc about the deplorable state of Onitsha-Owerri road for the federal government to finally award the contract? Then it took another 10 years for the contract to be completed!
Our people treat public utilities as if they can break it down, and simply find the money to build a new one immediately to replace it.

11 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by basilo101: 4:00pm On Oct 04, 2014
Handsomegod:
grin The structure in the distance is none other than the new PG school in UNEC.Deduct marks if am wrong Onye nkuzi spyder. #Bythewayteamsuperlion
all PG applications r submitted at Nsukka campus, all PG aptitude test r written at nsk. The new PG is under construction at nsukka campus (nw abandoned too) UNEC is nt a full fledged uni dia4 cnt hv a PG skul
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 4:41pm On Oct 04, 2014
basilo101:

all PG applications r submitted at Nsukka campus, all PG aptitude test r written at nsk. The new PG is under construction at nsukka campus (nw abandoned too) UNEC is nt a full fledged uni dia4 cnt hv a PG skul
PG school in UNEC, is both a beautiful and massive building. It's undergoing finishing touches at the moment.

However, the building, with crane, in picture below is UNEC's new Administrative block.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1754992_20141003163952_jpegc148cd603003a41fd4a72ad66441d7aa

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 6:03pm On Oct 04, 2014
UNTH, old site.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:04pm On Oct 04, 2014
Meanwhile, somewhere in Obiagu Enugu. ....... grin

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 6:07pm On Oct 04, 2014
spyder880:
spider, this is not fair now cry my brain just started analysing the taste even tho' I dont have the food in my mouth grin

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by londoner: 6:34pm On Oct 04, 2014
spyder880 post=26 857473:

How often is this done, like this in Enugu?

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Emperoh(m): 7:42pm On Oct 04, 2014
Seem to be the only one not posting pictures from my visit to Enugu. Still in Enugu, so odibee late!

I will like to raise a few concerns.

Some of the roads built at the the twilight of the Nnamani administration or the early days of Sullivan Chime, are failing. The stretch between Agric Bank and Brown and Brown (going through WAEC, Industrial court). Amuri Road/Nike Lake road, Some parts of GRA into Trans Ekulu and Dhamija.

I must also commend the initiative around Naira Triangle/NNPC mega station. The new demarcation and diversions make big sense and I am loving it.

Last but not the least, the menace of touts masquerading as traffic regulators! I am quite sad to see how these guys have turned into a Judges and Jury, being rude to people and just fleecing people off. I know that this is some agency saddled with traffic management. But i also doubt if they are court, who pronounce people guilty and then force them to pay a fine! Are there no lawyers in Enugu to challenge this illegality? IF someone breaks a traffic rule, it is not the role of the apprehending office to dispense fine. I am also not sure of any law either in the state assembly setting that agency up.

These matters need to be taken up. Who's with me on this?

Aside these, i am having a well deserved rest! grin grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 8:17pm On Oct 04, 2014
Emperoh:
Seem to be the only one not posting pictures from my visit to Enugu. Still in Enugu, so odibee late!

Some of the roads built at the the twilight of the Nnamani administration or the early days of Sullivan Chime, are failing. The stretch between Agric Bank and Brown and Brown (going through WAEC, Industrial court). Amuri Road/Nike Lake road, Some parts of GRA into Trans Ekulu and Dhamija.

I must also commend the initiative around Naira Triangle/NNPC mega station. The new demarcation and diversions make big sense and I am loving it.

Last but not the least, the menace of touts masquerading as traffic regulators! I am quite sad to see how these guys have turned into a Judges and Jury, being rude to people and just fleecing people off. I know that this is some agency saddled with traffic management. But i also doubt if they are court, who pronounce people guilty and then force them to pay a fine! Are there no lawyers in Enugu to challenge this illegality? IF someone breaks a traffic rule, it is not the role of the apprehending office to dispense fine. I am also not sure of any law either in the state assembly setting that agency up.

I had a big fight with the touts last three months, am still waiting and finding their trouble but they have all known me and are reluctant to take on me again. I will choose a day and go looking for them again, someone needs to put these touts where they belong.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Unemadu: 8:18pm On Oct 04, 2014
centje:
UNTH, old site.

What will become of this complex?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 8:31pm On Oct 04, 2014
Unemadu:

^^^They should level the place and turn it into a proper park! Enugu is yet to have a proper park like we see in Abuja with the millennium park, or the royal parks in London! Parks serve as the lungs of a city, that help it to breath!

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 8:47pm On Oct 04, 2014
IGBOSON1:

^^^They should level the place and turn it into a proper park! Enugu is yet to have a proper park like we see in Abuja with the millennium park, or the royal parks in London! Parks serve as the lungs of a city, that help it to breath!

You mean that of all the virgin lands in Enugu, the only way to get a millennium park is demolishing that complex?
You gotta be kidding me bro.
Hell no, The buildings should be refurbished where necessary and used for something worthwhile, schools, factories, business ventures, anything.
The cost of demolition alone will be outrageous, unless you don't know how big former unth is

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by passion007: 9:00pm On Oct 04, 2014
Emperoh:

I couldn't agree more.
It was on the news recently that Enugu North LGA which includes Enugu city center has the highest number of taxes, levies, fines, penalties etc of all states studied in a certain research.
This is particularly worrisome at a time Enugu is attempting to attract the much needed foreign investment.
Although I've seen these same highway officials (so-called Ministry of Transport officials) in Abia and Edo, I think its a trend that must be nipped in the bud.
In Abia, they impounded my car because i didnt have the state MoT clearance even though I was merely in transit through the state, and it took the intervention of a relative to wrest me from their hands.
In Enugu, I was accused of not stopping when the amber light came on. I insisted I crossed when the light was green. They threatened to replay their cameras, and because I was very sure, I dared them to. After some 30 minutes of wrangling, they let me go though.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 9:04pm On Oct 04, 2014
Unemadu:

for now it's still in use. Hotels and lecture halls for medical students, school of nursing is still there, some offices. What becomes of the place in future is what I don't know.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:28pm On Oct 04, 2014
centje:
for now it's still in use. Hotels and lecture halls for medical students, school of nursing is still there, some offices. What becomes of the place in future is what I don't know.

This is part of what am talking about
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by luvlyoracle(m): 9:31pm On Oct 04, 2014
Hi

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by omicron(m): 9:48pm On Oct 04, 2014
centje:

Hotels? shocked

I'm sure you meant 'Hostels'

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by inze(m): 11:31pm On Oct 04, 2014
spyder880:

This must be from that T-Junction at Obiagu, where one side of the road leads to their market . . . grin
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by shaboti: 1:56am On Oct 05, 2014
Enugu mara mma biko cheesy

Make una lend us Sullivan for one term in anambra grin

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nnewi1stSon: 5:44am On Oct 05, 2014
shaboti:
Enugu mara mma biko cheesy

Make una lend us Sullivan for one term in anambra grin
Unless you want this thread to be derailed by the new lunatic we've got around, you better hold that thought.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 6:09am On Oct 05, 2014
Hello Chaps! I want to commend Sullivan on his strides in Enugu, as well as make complaints.

A.
I would like to give him a hearty congratulation on the installation of traffic lights across the metropolis. There is now one at Ogui, About 3 on Presidential rd and as am speaking a new one is being installed at ESBS. This is great.

However if you have been driving around Enugu recently, you will notice that almost two minutes is lost whenever the lights turns green at these stops, in fact the worst case is at presidential, where motorist at the front of the stop may never realise the lights are green, till there is a loud honking barge from vehicles behind them.

The real issue is that the stop limit marks at these traffics stops have been placed too close to the lights. Once you are at the front of the stop limit line, your angle is such that can not see the traffic light change colour. The road markers should kindly take the traffic limit line back about 4m from the traffic light to make them ergonomic for human use.

B.
I would also commend the State Governor on the quality and spate of road construction in the state. However, there are plenty of spots where these roads have been taken over by sand sediment. What's the use of driving through a tarred road that has been settled by sand. Basically the problem is drainage. Where the rain run off has been made to slow down, it will unload its sediments. It is not feasible to have a complete drainage system at this time, so the right thing is to carry out maintenance works on these road sections. I saw recently that the sediments around Okpara square where being removed, that same service can be extended to many other places. a very bad one is on the road leading to Malinda Estate, an entire road section has been taken over by sand.

C. A section of the road along Okpara square is already showing signs of fatigue failure. The section on the side with the uncompleted conference centre. The entire section is crisscrosses with cracks, which shows that the section has been under flexural stress, due to the support base either being mobile, or washed out, or under clay expansion. I was thinking that as in other countries, such short term failure are the responsibility of the contractor since it is a design issue. They should be called back to foot the repair before the whole thing is washed out within the year.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Unemadu: 6:46am On Oct 05, 2014
KenGali:
Hello Chaps! I want to commend Sullivan on his strides in Enugu, as well as make complaints.

A.
I would like to give him a hearty congratulation on the installation of traffic lights across the metropolis. There is now one at Ogui, About 3 on Presidential rd and as am speaking a new one is being installed at ESBS. This is great.

However if you have been driving around Enugu recently, you will notice that almost two minutes is lost whenever the lights turns green at these stops, in fact the worst case is at presidential, where motorist at the front of the stop may never realise the lights are green, till the is a loud honking barge from vehicles behind them.

The real issue is that the stop limit marks at these traffics stops have been placed too close to the lights. Once you are at the front of the stop limit line, your angle is such that can not see the traffic light change colour. The road markers should kindly take the traffic limit line back about 4m from the traffic light to make them ergonomic for human use.

B.
I would also commend the State Governor on the quality and spate of road construction in the state. However, there are plenty of spots where these roads have been taken over by sand sediment. What's the use of driving through a tarred road that has been settled by sand. Basically the problem is drainage. Where the rain run off has been made to slow down, it will unload its sediments. It is not feasible to have a complete drainage system at this time, so the right thing is to carry out maintenance works on these road sections. I saw recently that the sediments around Okpara square where being removed, that same service can be extended to many other places. a very bad one is on the road leading to Malinda Estate, an entire road section has been taken over by sand.

C. A section of the road along Okpara square is already showing signs of fatigue failure. The section on the side with the uncompleted conference centre. The entire section is crisscrosses with cracks, which shows that the section has been under flexural stress, due to the support based either being mobile, or washed out, or under clay expansion. I was thinking that as in other countries, such short term failure are the responsibility of the contractor since it is a design issue. They should be called back to feet the repair before the whole thing is washed out within the year.

As for 'B' , i wonder what happened to the sweeper trucks procured by the govt. does it really do its job of sweeping roads regularlly?

If they cant maintain the trucks then good old fashioned human sweepers should be used.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Kcinho(m): 6:51am On Oct 05, 2014
IGBOSON1:

Its a big no from me. The building to the left is imoke hall (home of great men). So many great men and women have passed through that hall and I'm proud to be one of them(though not yet that great lol). The dreaded 140 bedded where the Zik of Africa received medical care before his death has been converted to Nnamdi Azikiwe Hall for 5th year medical students. There are other hostels and lecture halls for school of nursing, the different schools of post basic nursing, midwifery, Community Health Officers, lecture halls for clinical medical students, some departments and post graduate medical courses. So the place is in use.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Charlesdonald(m): 8:06am On Oct 05, 2014
centje:
government should issue out a law to control this nuisance. It's usually very disgusting.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1756103_20141004072908_jpeg6234c97d2e36fd046a518f960095dc6c
dose people doing dis nonsense will later come out and say Government is not working

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 9:11am On Oct 05, 2014
Unemadu:

As for 'B' , i wonder what happened to the sweeper trucks procured by the govt. does it really do its job of sweeping roads regularlly?

If they cant maintain the trucks then good old fashioned human sweepers should be used.

Due to lack of removal, most sand deposit accumulations are way more than what sweepers can handle. It will be nice if Enugu can clean her roads seriously once a week, or even once a month, especially after heavy rainfall.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 9:24am On Oct 05, 2014
omicron:

Hotels? shocked

I'm sure you meant 'Hostels'
grin grin it's hostel o tongue

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) ... (697) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.